Piano World Home Page
Hey everyone. I have read through some old posts about online learning vs live. I have done only live for the first year and a half. But I am finding my interests pulled toward jazz and jazz improv. There arent any teachers in my area. My current teacher doesnt play jazz or have any interest in it. She's a great teacher but its time to move on.

I am really intrigued with Lessons By Jonny, Open Studio, Piano Groove, Gjermund Sivertsen and a couple others that I cant remember at the moment. I can see the advantages and disadvantages.

Can any current or former students weigh in on the experience please? Also, if anyone can recommend a good adult intermediate jazz teacher (looking for a specialist not a dabbler) that can do zoom lessons?
Originally Posted by stevechris
Hey everyone. I have read through some old posts about online learning vs live. I have done only live for the first year and a half. But I am finding my interests pulled toward jazz and jazz improv. There arent any teachers in my area. My current teacher doesnt play jazz or have any interest in it. She's a great teacher but its time to move on.

I am really intrigued with Lessons By Jonny, Open Studio, Piano Groove, Gjermund Sivertsen and a couple others that I cant remember at the moment. I can see the advantages and disadvantages.

Can any current or former students weigh in on the experience please? Also, if anyone can recommend a good adult intermediate jazz teacher (looking for a specialist not a dabbler) that can do zoom lessons?

Which option to choose always depends a bit on how much money you are willing to spend on this.

Could you elaborate on that a bit ?
I was in the exact same boat. I did traditional lessons (with emphasis on classical repertoire) for 5 years, and now focus on jazz and improvisation.

My advice is this: Stay with traditional lessons until you are well into the "intermediate" level - that is the ability to read and play at least 4 or 5 various movements of some of the Beethoven sonatas and some of the easier Chopin pieces. All those skills and techniques will carry over to jazz and improvisation. Also, can't you play your own supplemental jazz music with your lessons (even if your teacher is not directly teaching that)? I did that for the last 2 or 3 years of my lessons.

You mentioned you have been doing lessons for a year and a half. I can only speak for myself (and I have no idea where you are exactly in your studies), but after a year and a half, I was no where close to being able to switch to self teaching (even with online aids).
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by stevechris
Hey everyone. I have read through some old posts about online learning vs live. I have done only live for the first year and a half. But I am finding my interests pulled toward jazz and jazz improv. There arent any teachers in my area. My current teacher doesnt play jazz or have any interest in it. She's a great teacher but its time to move on.

I am really intrigued with Lessons By Jonny, Open Studio, Piano Groove, Gjermund Sivertsen and a couple others that I cant remember at the moment. I can see the advantages and disadvantages.

Can any current or former students weigh in on the experience please? Also, if anyone can recommend a good adult intermediate jazz teacher (looking for a specialist not a dabbler) that can do zoom lessons?

Which option to choose always depends a bit on how much money you are willing to spend on this.

Could you elaborate on that a bit ?

I have been paying $50 for a 1 hour lesson twice a month. I practice daily but I find I need the full 2 weeks between lessons. So I am comfortable with $100/month. That much can get me basic memberships on 3 of the site's I mentioned and perhaps gold membership in 1 of them which includes live feedback. Is that where you were going?
Originally Posted by CLM Piano Learner
I was in the exact same boat. I did traditional lessons (with emphasis on classical repertoire) for 5 years, and now focus on jazz and improvisation.

My advice is this: Stay with traditional lessons until you are well into the "intermediate" level - that is the ability to read and play at least 4 or 5 various movements of some of the Beethoven sonatas and some of the easier Chopin pieces. All those skills and techniques will carry over to jazz and improvisation. Also, can't you play your own supplemental jazz music with your lessons (even if your teacher is not directly teaching that)? I did that for the last 2 or 3 years of my lessons.

You mentioned you have been doing lessons for a year and a half. I can only speak for myself (and I have no idea where you are exactly in your studies), but after a year and a half, I was no where close to being able to switch to self teaching (even with online aids).

I appreciate your question, thank you for asking. I have not studied classical with my instructor. She is a Russian college music professor but very flexible with what I wanted to learn. We have been working on mostly blues and rags which I do love. I have no interest in classical beyond my love as a listener. My ultimate goal is to play in a jazz trio. I am 58 years old and Carnegie Hall and Beal Street are a distant vision in the rearview mirror. I am ready to tackle lead sheets and simple jazz standards without any problem. And like I said, I am open to live instructor suggestions as well. But if I cant find anyone, I'll do the next best thing. Or at least give it a try.
Originally Posted by stevechris
I have been paying $50 for a 1 hour lesson twice a month. I practice daily but I find I need the full 2 weeks between lessons. So I am comfortable with $100/month. That much can get me basic memberships on 3 of the site's I mentioned and perhaps gold membership in 1 of them which includes live feedback. Is that where you were going?

Well, that much (1200 per year) will buy you into pretty much any of the online websites.

The problem with them is that they frequently have so many options that you have a difficult time knowing what to do next.

So, you begin dabbling here and there.

It is fun .... but very inefficient.

Also, your background may be a little thin for attempting to jump into jazz piano.

That doesn't mean you couldn't do it ... it just means you would have difficulty understanding some things that you have not been exposed to yet.

My best advice (other than a live teacher) would be this website ....

https://pianoteachersconnect.com/

There you can connect with a teacher online (via skype or zoom) and explain to them your background and where you wish to go.

They have many teachers (at very reasonable prices) who can evaluate your skills and get you started in the right direction.

Good Luck
Originally Posted by stevechris
... Carnegie Hall and Beal Street are a distant vision in the rearview mirror....

What does that mean ?

Sounds like .... been there ... did that.

Been to Carnegie Hall and Beal Street .... as a musician ?
I was in a similar situation about a year and half with a traditional classical teacher and I had no desire to play anything we worked on so I was always forcing my practice. I switched to a pop teacher and now I’m working on building a foundation for pop. IMO I’d rather take 2x 30-45min lessons with a teacher versus and online membership. I would suggest asking in pianist corner non classical thread too since you’re looking to get into jazz.
Thank you Don, I shall check them out. Never heard of them.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums