Piano World Home Page
I committed to Master of your own destiny and have a good streak going since ten days before the new year. There have been one or two days I hit the piano at 11:45 pm but, according to the rules, it counts. My question is, does anybody have a cheat day? I don't mean a cheat day like from a diet, where you eat a large pizza followed by an ice cream sundae once a week, essentially sabotaging your diet. Just something that breaks up the routine.

For me, it's band night. Once a week I practice with a band, playing keyboard on a list of songs. These songs are, for the most part, not ones I work on, on my own, at home for my own practice. But it gives me a chance to cleanse my palate and shake up the routine. For lack of a better term, I call it my cheat day and still allow myself to check off a MOYD day.

I am curious if anybody works in a cheat day to break up their routines while still feeling satisfied that they played piano that day.
No, can't say that I do.
Nope.
I generally aim to play 6 of 7 days a week.
I find it lowers frustration if you have a "legal" day to not approach the piano compared to a rigid "you have to play every day" schedule.

Since this is strictly a hobby for personal enjoyment, I get to say "I am not in the mood/too busy/too tired" once a week.
I don't have any need to have an off day (not 'cheat' - I'm always honest cool), because I don't put any obligation on myself to play every day.......but I do, including when I'm on holiday somewhere else in the world, if I can get access to a piano. Any piano - I enjoy meeting new challenges (like trying to make a decrepit old piano sing as it had never sung before, and will never sing again once I've finished thumping it wink ).

If there's no piano (like halfway up a mountain, in a tent in a howling blizzard), no sweat. I have other things to occupy myself, like figuring out how to stay alive & kicking.
Let's make sure we are all the same page here...when I say cheat day I mean you are still playing. It's just one day a week you play fun stuff, maybe fool with a pop song you like and heard on the radio, maybe try to work out Billy Preston's solo in "Get Back". The other day I heard this song I really liked and couldn't even find the chords, let alone the sheet music. I took a break from my other practice and worked out the chords and arrangement as I heard on the recording. As an "adult beginner" it was refreshing, educational, and even got me to sit at the piano longer than I normally would have (just as two hour band rehearsals are longer than my usual practice sessions). At the same time, the music I usually work on had a chance to solidify and set in my brain once I returned to it.
Originally Posted by Josh1770
...,For me, it's band night. Once a week I practice with a band, playing keyboard on a list of songs....
Imo, this would count as a MOYD day. I don't feel the need to something to "cleanse my palate," but I'm sure plenty do. It's the playing that counts!
Originally Posted by SwissMS on MOYD thread
...you commit to playing the piano for some amount of time every single day. It might be a few hours, it might be a few minutes - it doesn't matter - as long as you sit down and touch those keys!!!

It doesn't matter if it is a grand, an upright, or a digital. Nor does it matter if it is your piano or any other.
Originally Posted by Stubbie
...,For me, it's band night. Once a week I practice with a band, playing keyboard on a list of songs....
Imo, this would count as a MOYD day. I don't feel the need to something to "cleanse my palate," but I'm sure plenty do. It's the playing that counts!
Originally Posted by SwissMS on MOYD thread
...you commit to playing the piano for some amount of time every single day. It might be a few hours, it might be a few minutes - it doesn't matter - as long as you sit down and touch those keys!!!

It doesn't matter if it is a grand, an upright, or a digital. Nor does it matter if it is your piano or any other.

I agree! If you are playing a keyboard in a band, then you are not only playing piano, but you are performing! It more than meets the MOYD rules!
Swiss and Stubbie.... Yeah, I know it meets the rules. I was just wondering how others take a break from what they are working on while still playing and making it a piano day.
I play every day; there's almost always time before I go to work and then I find more time in the evening too so most days I get two sessions in. I played on 363 days last year, missing just a couple in March to travel.

How many days can a participant miss before being disqualified? One day a week seems too many, in my opinion. But I saw one participant miss five months in a row for no reason, and they were able to claim a badge.
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
How many days can a participant miss before being disqualified? One day a week seems too many, in my opinion. But I saw one participant miss five months in a row for no reason, and they were able to claim a badge.

This is not a competition against others. This is for each person for themselves to feel motivated and to hold themselves accountable.
Swiss and Stubbie.... Yeah, I know it meets the rules. I was just wondering how others take a break from what they are working on while still playing and making it a piano day.

I often don't practice what I'm working on with my teacher. Instead, I find other, perhaps easier stuff, to work through. More so to explore other music and improve reading efficiency. Or sometimes I just go back to old stuff and see what I can do better with it.
I was just wondering how others take a break from what they are working on while still playing and making it a piano day.

Oh yes, I do. Now I am not a MOYD person, because even if I take a day off, there is no risk that I suddenly will stop practising. But yes, I absolutely have days in which I only play what I feel like. Actually, I hope to have more of those days than I had last year.
I don't practice on Fridays, I just play.

I go thru my repertoire of 25 songs or so.
I don't have a cheat day as you described it, but I do mess around with Fake Books on the weekend when i have more free time after i finish my method book work.
I try to focus every day on what my teacher has assigned (usually with a lot of input from me!), but some days I "rest on my oars" a bit by spending most of the time either on G.A.S. or other lighter fare, or brushing up on older material that is not part of my current assigned work.
Sunday = laundry + NYT Sunday crossword = no piano.

Cheers!
I don't have a specific "cheat day", but on days when I have more time and I'm just over the stuff I was assigned (usually towards the end of the week), I'll often pull out something to play around with that I don't have any intention of actually committing to learning. I could be from almost any genre.... just something I heard that I thought was beautiful smile

I don´t know if this is a "cheat" or a "madness", but somedays, I "forget" that I am a pianist and I become a Jazz singer. I stay for long hours singing songs from the "Great American Songbook".on a mic, and a playback big band. Of course, I still don´t have the courage to show that to anyone. I feel I´m a bit out of tune :))
...Just something that breaks up the routine...

I am curious if anybody works in a cheat day to break up their routines while still feeling satisfied that they played piano that day.

Practicing piano is the satisfying thing that breaks up the stupid routine of my paid employment.
Nothing can't that's I do....
Originally Posted by dihelson

I don´t know if this is a "cheat" or a "madness", but somedays, I "forget" that I am a pianist and I become a Jazz singer. I stay for long hours singing songs from the "Great American Songbook".on a mic, and a playback big band. Of course, I still don´t have the courage to show that to anyone. I feel I´m a bit out of tune :))

That's terrific, dihelson. It's musical and only enhances your overall ability. If I may suggest, some piano teachers have suggested to me to find a simple song I could play, maybe just the chords, and sing along to it. I guess they saw the benefits. I found it fun and it helped with my timing.
Originally Posted by malkin

Practicing piano is the satisfying thing that breaks up the stupid routine of my paid employment.

But Malkin, do you ever get an urge to put your teacher assignments or etudes aside for a few minutes to see if you could bang out some Carole King or Billy Joel? After six days of classical make it a pop day of rest?
Josh, it sounds to me like you are discovering ways of making piano practice your own, instead of only following rules that somebody else set for you. I find that inspiring.
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
Josh, it sounds to me like you are discovering ways of making piano practice your own, instead of only following rules that somebody else set for you. I find that inspiring.

There are so many songs that one day I hit a wall and can't go on, so I just stop.We need our coping mechanisms to keep playing, It may as well be more playing.
I would probably have only a handful of days a year without playing the piano at all, and these are usually due to minor injuries such as a cut finger or a hangnail. I enjoy daily routine and discipline and seem to thrive on it, provided variety exists within it. Variety and experimentation in all aspects of playing are essential to my temperament. No two days are close to similar but days with nothing are rare.
Recently it is playing with my Roli Seaboard block, make a short track and stick it on SoundCloud.
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
Recently it is playing with my Roli Seaboard block, make a short track and stick it on SoundCloud.

I had never heard of a Roli until you mentioned it. I watched their site video. Looks fun.

ps: - You get what I am talking about - using the Roli Seaboard block counts as playing, but you are doing something fun and different. Another red "X" on your Master of Your Own Destiny calendar.
Originally Posted by malkin

But Malkin, do you ever get an urge to put your teacher assignments or etudes aside for a few minutes to see if you could bang out some Carole King or Billy Joel? After six days of classical make it a pop day of rest?

Not really banging anything out on my own.
Now and then, my husband and I read through a bunch of easy duets and I bring goof off pieces to lessons whenever I want.

My job is consuming way more than its share of my life and will continue to do so until May.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums