Piano World Home Page
Which is correct? The top is from the RCM book, the bottom is from the Alfred's Falling in Love with Chopin book. After looking at other scores, it seems the RCM book is incorrect?

I'm learning/reading from the RCM book, but looked at the Aflred's book for pedal suggestions.

I didn't know this was considered Chopin's first published composition!

[Linked Image]
The Chopin Institute publication I have is the same as Alfred version.
Sometimes they're both 'right'. Chopin is know for constantly making changes in his manuscripts and sending them to multiple publishers. My own teacher, quite an expert on Chopin in her own right, always tells me to just go with what I have, although Paderewski is often thought of as the preferred go to when questioning notes.
Henle edition agrees with RCM.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with the RCM version smile
That's probably the best course of action. I used to drive myself insane with things like this until my teacher saved my sanity, LOL.
Personally, if I discover a different variant to the one I'm currently using, I just choose the one that sounds best to me, regardless of which is Urtext or (supposedly) more accurate.

For instance, in Rach's most famous piece, Prelude in C# minor, different editions have differences in two bars in the central section. I used to play one version, then tried out the other, and liked it better, so I switched whistle.

Though sometimes, in performance, I forgot that I'd switched, and reverted to playing the previous version because my fingers tend to do what they like.......
I think that's a good idea. Maybe I can alternate between the two, depending on if it's an odd or even day ;0
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums