Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Mils I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 05:06 AM
I’m probably much older than most beginners and I wonder if it’s even worth it because I just don’t have enough time to become proficient enough to play well and/or play the things I’d like to play.
I’m in my early 40s. I’ve had a few lessons. I’m using Alfred’s, which I don’t like but hopefully, I won’t be using it very long. I get frustrated easily. I know that everyone will make progress at a different rate but what are reasonable goals for the first few months of lessons, assuming I practice everyday?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mils
I’m probably much older than most beginners ... I’m in my early 40s.

If you take a look at the last survey of ABF members from just over a year ago, over 70.5% of ABF members (including me!) are older than you are. In fact, over 44.7% of ABF members are older than you by more than a decade. 22% are older than you by at least 2 decades.
Posted By: Colin Miles Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 07:08 AM
I’m probably much older than most beginners and I wonder if it’s even worth it because I just don’t have enough time to become proficient enough to play well and/or play the things I’d like to play.
I’m in my early 40s. I’ve had a few lessons. I’m using Alfred’s, which I don’t like but hopefully, I won’t be using it very long. I get frustrated easily. I know that everyone will make progress at a different rate but what are reasonable goals for the first few months of lessons, assuming I practice everyday?

Are you too old to start anything new? I don't think so. You've probably got another 30 or 40 years or more left. Enjoy it. Any new subject requires effort and patience. Be positive. Time to turn over a new leaf. Oh dear, this does sound corny.

My dealer recently had in a 90 year old beginner who had just bought a grand piano!
Posted By: Animisha Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 07:19 AM
I’m in my early 40s.

You are young! Oh, how I wish I had started as young as my early 40s.

I’ve had a few lessons. I’m using Alfred’s, which I don’t like but hopefully, I won’t be using it very long.

If your teacher agrees, please quit Alfred's now. I also started with Alfred's, and in retrospect, I wish I had chosen a method book that was more inspiring. For instance, Piano adventures. But there are many more method books out there. Talk with your teacher about what kind of music you would like to play, and hopefully they can come with a suggestion.

I get frustrated easily.

I think this may be your true challenge. Learning to play the piano will require quite a bit of patience and perseverance, and you will feel frustrated more than once. See to it that practicing is an enjoyable experience, well, most of the time anyway, that is the best way of keeping at it.

Good luck kiddo. Just kidding. wink Kidding about calling you kiddo. Not about the other things I wrote. smile
Posted By: outo Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 07:26 AM

You are not the first to ask this question. I started at 45 and I can play many things i wanted to play, but of course it was not easy and sometimes still feel like hitting my head to the wall.
I also stared learning cello at 52 and I have never touched a stringed instrument before (kind of, i know piano has strings)... It's difhicult too...am I too old? My teacher does not seem to think so smile

And I definitely get frustrated easily...teacher must have strong nerves wink
Posted By: Animisha Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 07:40 AM
Iwhat are reasonable goals for the first few months of lessons, assuming I practice everyday?

I forgot this one. This is very difficult to say. For instance, some have great difficulties just learning to coordinate playing with both hands. For others, it is not so hard. It also depends on the way your teacher works. For instance, my Russian piano teacher devotes her first lesson to teaching how to play one note with one finger in the correct way. Other teachers go much faster.
Generally, I have found that it is not so useful to set up goals stating when you should be able to play what. Also, beginners tend to overestimate how fast it will go.
Posted By: Pianist685 Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 07:52 AM
I think I am too old. [...]I’m in my early 40s.
Haha, that's a good one. When I was a university student and in my early 20s, school teenagers found me incredibly old. When I was a young professional aged 32, students in their late 20s told me I was an old-timer in their eyes. Now I am 54 and my 40 something aged office colleagues keep telling me I am so old I should think of retiring.
Posted By: magicpiano Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 09:09 AM
So you had very nice little friends in your 20s, very nice students in your 30s, very nice colleagues in your 50s...
Maybe you should move to another country so that you could meet less "friendly" people... laugh
Posted By: earlofmar Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 09:29 AM
oh, how I would love to be just starting piano back in my forties (I started at 52), I would be great by now smirk

I know that everyone will make progress at a different rate but what are reasonable goals for the first few months of lessons, assuming I practice everyday?

I don't think it would be worthwhile setting any goals or having any reasonable expectations for the first few months. My own experience was that just trying to do anything basic required skills that were still developing. If I worked really hard I could play a small, uncomplicated piece in the first few months but even I knew it sounded terrible.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 11:55 AM
Old?? No, you are not too old to start piano. But you have to ask yourself do you really want to learn to play the piano.
Posted By: TheophilusCarter Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 12:07 PM
I started at 41. I was pretty inconsistent with my practice the first several years, but then I really got the bug about a year and a half ago, and have been practicing diligently since then. I'm wrapping up some RCM level 3 selections, and about to move onto level 4. I have every intention of hitting the higher levels within the next several years. I'll never be a professional, but have no desire to be one anyway (I like my day job). I will absolutely be able to learn to play with some degree of competence, and enjoy the heck out of it along the way. It wasn't too late for me; it's not too late for you.
Posted By: malkin Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 12:15 PM
If you aren't enjoying it, it doesn't matter how old you are; why spend time doing something you don't like?

You could change your attitude and find a way to enjoy it or find something else to do.
Of course you are welcome to carry on being miserable and frustrated if you want.
Posted By: bennevis Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 12:26 PM

What are the things you want to play?
I get frustrated easily. I know that everyone will make progress at a different rate but what are reasonable goals for the first few months of lessons, assuming I practice everyday?

If you practice seriously everyday, there is a good chance that you will be able to play this Mozart piece in twelve to eighteen months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUAu2VExvzc

BTW, my friend who started lessons at the very young age of sixty (when he retired) is now playing the easier Chopin nocturnes and slow movements from Beethoven sonatas. That's nothing to be sniffed at. He's now had some nine years of lessons.
Posted By: ebonykawai Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Pianist685
I think I am too old. [...]I’m in my early 40s.
Haha, that's a good one. When I was a university student and in my early 20s, school teenagers found me incredibly old. When I was a young professional aged 32, students in their late 20s told me I was an old-timer in their eyes. Now I am 54 and my 40 something aged office colleagues keep telling me I am so old I should think of retiring.

I hope you hit them with your cane, LOL!!! I'll be 54 in 3 months. 😊👍
Posted By: KevinM Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 02:05 PM
I turned 55 on the weekend. The average age of my workplace is 32. Mostly a collection of peeps in their late twenties and early 30s with a few outliers like myself. I've been the oldest since I started over 3 years ago up until 2 weeks ago when a ++ old person started. I like this new person.

P.S. I started a year ago. I did learn as a child, but there was a more than 40 year break.
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 02:17 PM
Perhaps the best way of looking at this is - What will you be playing in 1/2/5 years time?
ABF recitals will yell you what others are doing; naturally it's relative to the time input, teacher expertise, and intellect.

Just to play a simple melodious tune, both hands, is a wonderful thing for me, still. Any advance I have on that is a huge bonus. I started playing when I was 4. But my intellect would only take me up to something like Grade 6, or 7 max.
I also earned a lot of money over the years when live music allowed that to happen to folk such as me . . . smile
Posted By: Pau Gasol Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by KevinM
I turned 55 on the weekend....

P.S. I started a year ago. I did learn as a child, but there was a more than 40 year break.

Same here, exactly. I turned 55 in September. I took lessons from about age 11 to 13 then stopped for 40 years, just re-starting last year.

For me, choosing the pieces I want to learn has been a big motivator; a luxury I didn't have as a kid.
Posted By: Mils Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 03:18 PM
I do think the Alfred’s book is a problem for me. I don’t like or know most of the songs and I have little motivation to play them. I’d rather have a more challenging piece of music that might take longer to learn but, that I am interested in learning to play. If I’m going to get frustrated, I’d rather it be for something that I look forward to being able to play. I don’t know of this teacher would consider a different book and I absolutely do not want to have to go through another Alfred’s. I don’t see the utility of a lot of things in the Alfred’s book, especially in the order in which they’re presented. For example, I’m working on the Lone Star Waltz. Timing is something I need to work on but going up in sixths doesn’t seem like anything that is going to help me play other pieces of music. Plus, I really hate that song.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 03:21 PM
I do think the Alfred’s book is a problem for me. I don’t like or know most of the songs and I have little motivation to play them. I’d rather have a more challenging piece of music that might take longer to learn but, that I am interested in learning to play. If I’m going to get frustrated, I’d rather it be for something that I look forward to being able to play. I don’t know of this teacher would consider a different book and I absolutely do not want to have to go through another Alfred’s.

What music (genres) are you interested in and would "look forward to being able to play"?
Posted By: Mils Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 03:25 PM
I think if I had, at least, recognizable pieces, from any genre, that weren’t those common music book type songs, like “When the Saints Go Marching In.” Alfred’s pieces aren’t classical, they’re just old and boring. I lost interest playing the guitar when I was young because I was olaying nothing but Alfred’s. There are teachers who will allow students to choose songs and teach from those songs but unfortunately, none of those teachers is in my area.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 03:47 PM
I think if I had, at least, recognizable pieces, from any genre, that weren’t those common music book type songs, like “When the Saints Go Marching In.” Alfred’s pieces aren’t classical, they’re just old and boring. I lost interest playing the guitar when I was young because I was olaying nothing but Alfred’s. There are teachers who will allow students to choose songs and teach from those songs but unfortunately, none of those teachers is in my area.

If I were to speculate, I would speculate that the problem you are identifying actually arises because of copyright and licensing costs. Recognizable music of our own present era would all have issues of licensing and licensing fees. That's why, I believe, method books (not only Alfreds, but others too) use either folk music or very old out-of-copy right music from before 1923 including classical music. I've also seen method books, and online courses like Piano Marvel, have their authors and creators write their own student music which also would not be copyrighted by others. Because it will be almost impossible, under these circumstances, to really find method books with a lot of truly contemporary music (after 1922) which is recognisable and not written by the authors of those books, you might consider going the other way and using method books that use only real classical music, which is all long out of copyright. There are such method book series. For example, there is the following method book series.

There are two books per level, starting at the preparatory level and then progressing through Book 1, 2, etc.:
I don't know how "recognisable" you will find these, but at least it will be "real music" and not something invented for pedagogical purposes.
Posted By: KevinM Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 04:01 PM
I have not done any of the Alfred books, but there is at least one person on this forum or at least I think so has managed to produce some beautiful recordings of pieces from Alfred. Some of the recorded pieces are limited because I the pieces themselves are limited. But I can't help but feel that Scarborough fair in this list is anything but beautiful. I think she uses virtual instruments to get such a rich deep sound from her pianos, but it doesn't take away from the overall lovely musicality.

https://soundcloud.com/lobelia-ghosh/sets/alfreds-adult-all-in-one-level-1
Posted By: cmb13 Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 04:27 PM
I did Alfreds....agree it was torture. But I learned some other songs at the same time, pop such as Imagine and others so I stuck with it. If you can find a suitable alternative, by all means, go ahead.

As you see, many of us started at an advanced age. I began at 43-44ish and now I'm about to hit 50.....I'm grabbing a snack and headed for the back nine lol. I hope I have a few years of practice. My only problem is that work keeps getting in the way of my practice!

Make sure you use your practice time effectively and you'll progress rapidly.
Posted By: zrtf90 Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 04:46 PM
I just don’t have enough time to become proficient enough to play well and/or play the things I’d like to play.
Relatively little time is spent actually playing. Most of your time will be spent practising so the question is whether or not you enjoy practising piano. Think of a cryptographer being concerned about how well the message was written.

Reasonable results for an adult are very different. Most children start from a much more level playing field, walking at one, talking at two, etc. Someone beginning piano with a strong musical awareness with experience of using both sides of the brain (martial arts, chess, Latin, etc) will do better than someone who watches TV more than they pursue hobbies.

If you live close to a mountain you can start climbing it sooner than someone who has to travel there first. A few months at the beginning of the journey is really quite meaningless compared to the time it takes to climb. Most of the piano repertoire, over 90%, is accessible after about ten years of good instruction regardless of the starting age. The top level pieces are as inaccessible to most people as the four minute mile, also regardless of the starting age.

If you're taking lessons you might ask to switch from Alfred's to something geared more towards solo piano instead, such as Faber's Piano Adventures.
Posted By: Tech-key Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 05:43 PM
Thank you, Kevin!! I look up to you guys so much, so it really means a lot ♥️

Mils, my teacher rarely used Alfred’s after around page 100 (in the all-in-one). He selected simple pieces outside of the method book. He doesn’t give me too much homework, so I could find the time to complete the book. Maybe, your teacher would start mixing other pieces as well. I’ve seen this trend of mixing-it-up, in the Alfred’s thread also. If not, you could tell him that you are losing motivation working on these songs. It takes a while to get used to a teacher’s process, but it also gets pretty awesome once you find some common grounds!

It’s a painfully slow process, unfortunately. Please be patient! Wish you all the very best in this journey thumb

BTW, I had found Lone Star Waltz very difficult because of those horrible sixths frown Don’t know how it helped either, haha.
Posted By: JB_PW Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 05:49 PM
You are definitely NOT too old! I think the big questions are (1) do you have enough patience, because this is a long and often frustrating process; and (2) are you working with the right teacher. If your teacher insists on using a method book that you don't like, I would say no. You said there are no teachers in your area that would be different, but that might not be the case. I live in a small suburb and I only found one teacher who advertised...I assumed that's all there was. But I found out later there are at least 3 more; they get students through word of mouth. My teacher was recommended by the lady who cuts my hair! So you might want to try searching for teachers in other ways...for example, my town has a community Facebook page where people ask for recommendations for all sorts of things...including private music teachers.
Posted By: BruceD Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 05:57 PM
[...]

In my opinion it's not ( it should never be!) a question of age. It's a question of desire, commitment and determination. If you really want to do it, you will. The only other comment I would add is: Enjoy the journey while you work towards a goal. The goal should be secondary; the journey, primary.

Regards,
Posted By: JB_PW Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by JB_PW
You are definitely NOT too old! I think the big questions are (1) do you have enough patience, because this is a long and often frustrating process; and (2) are you working with the right teacher. If your teacher insists on using a method book that you don't like, I would say no. You said there are no teachers in your area that would be different, but that might not be the case. I live in a small suburb and I only found one teacher who advertised...I assumed that's all there was. But I found out later there are at least 3 more; they get students through word of mouth. My teacher was recommended by the lady who cuts my hair! So you might want to try searching for teachers in other ways...for example, my town has a community Facebook page where people ask for recommendations for all sorts of things...including private music teachers.

Hrmmm....I can't edit my post? Just adding on that the journey CAN sometimes be frustrating, depending on your personality, goals, and probably a lot of other factors. Didn't want that to come off as too negative.
Posted By: spartan928 Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 06:08 PM
Im not sure age has much to do with it as opposed to expectations. I'm only 1.5 years in at 53 and it's a long process requiring much patience. But I like the process so that makes all the difference to me. I don't mind being terrible and seeing small gains. I'm not planning to teach piano or do solo piano gigs. If you are patient and research stuff you enjoy you will find inumerable opportunities to enjoy what you need to play and progress. With a good teacher it becomes a relationship that helps push you further than you might expect.
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 06:30 PM
You're not too old. I started 4 years ago now at 42 and quite happy with what I've been able to achieve. But as someone pointed out above, you need to enjoy practising, because you'll spend a lot of time doing that ;0

My girlfriend just started lessons at age 48, she's using the Faber series.
Posted By: Stubbie Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 06:39 PM
This is when it's too old to start: When is it really too late to start?

I started at age 60 (with Alfred's AIO), sefl-taught for two years. I wish I'd started with a teacher. My impression from reading on this forum for a number of years is that the greatest impediment to progress is not age, but finding quality time to fit in quality practice.
Posted By: Klavierman Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 09:26 PM
I started at 59 (I'm 63 going on 64) but made rapid progress thanks to playing classical guitar for some 40 years, which kept my fingers nimble. I, too, struggle and feel frustrated that I don't have enough time left to learn big pieces by my favorite composers, but my teacher valiantly tries to insist that there are still plenty of easier works that are still satisfying to play by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, and Rachmaninov. I mainly need to change my mindset.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Stubbie
This is when it's too old to start: When is it really too late to start?

I started at age 60 (with Alfred's AIO), sefl-taught for two years. I wish I'd started with a teacher. My impression from reading on this forum for a number of years is that the greatest impediment to progress is not age, but finding quality time to fit in quality practice.

thumb
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Klavierman
I started at 59 (I'm 63 going on 64) but made rapid progress thanks to playing classical guitar for some 40 years, which kept my fingers nimble. I, too, struggle and feel frustrated that I don't have enough time left to learn big pieces by my favorite composers, but my teacher valiantly tries to insist that there are still plenty of easier works that are still satisfying to play by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, and Rachmaninov. I mainly need to change my mindset.

Welcome to PW & ABF, Klavierman!

And by big pieces, how big exactly? Because if you aren't talking about concerto-length pieces, I suspect you'll have enough time in you to get to some big pieces if you pick and choose. (and of course, stay in good health!)

And for some inspiration, take a look at what our forum hero, Sam S, has been doing, which he started at 62! smile
Posted By: Suzysue Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 11:05 PM
I started learning to paint/draw at 40 - spent 13 years spending a lot of money on classes and supplies, never progressed like I wanted because I didn't practice like I should. Mostly because I was too critical of myself and it took too long to get to the level I wanted - I was look at the end goal and wanted to reach it fast. For some crazy reason, 2 months ago I started learning the Violin with a teacher and last week I started teaching myself the piano. The difference between painting and music is I LOVE to practice music. I am making so much more progress. The other difference is I am not playing music for anyone but me - not trying to sell like I wanted to in painting.

As for a teacher - I love my Violin teacher, because I am so motivated she lets me pick what we work on.
Posted By: earlofmar Re: I think I’m too old - 10/16/19 11:30 PM
any teacher who realises the student isn't motivated by the material should be willing to change. So I would have a talk with your teacher, and of course as an adult with choices they do need to follow your wishes or let you go.

I did not last long with Alfred's because I didn't like the material. I used this series of books for a few years (with a teacher) which are not method books, just collections of appropriately graded material.

Finding the right level material is easy if you enjoy classical pieces by using either this or this. You should be able to find the sheet music here
Posted By: DFSRN Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 12:59 AM
Stubbie, I advise people on academic education as part of the employee scholarship programs for the Veterans Affairs. When the employee asks me, am I told old to go to school I ask two things.
If you went to school how old would you be in 5 years? If you didn't go to school, how old would you be in 5 years?
Posted By: Fidel Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 01:36 AM
I’m probably much older than most beginners and I wonder if it’s even worth it...
I’m in my early 40s. I’ve had a few lessons. I’m using Alfred’s, which I don’t like but hopefully...

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL.,

OMG, you made me bust a gut. When I was in my early 40s I was a young man. You are too. In 5 or 6 years you'll be amazed at what you can play.

I have no knowledge of the Alfred's beginner books but I have bought the Alfred Haydn sonatas, Chopin nocturnes and Bach WTC. Really great annotated editions. They know what they're doing.
Posted By: ebonykawai Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 02:30 AM
I do think the Alfred’s book is a problem for me. I don’t like or know most of the songs and I have little motivation to play them. I’d rather have a more challenging piece of music that might take longer to learn but, that I am interested in learning to play. If I’m going to get frustrated, I’d rather it be for something that I look forward to being able to play. I don’t know of this teacher would consider a different book and I absolutely do not want to have to go through another Alfred’s. I don’t see the utility of a lot of things in the Alfred’s book, especially in the order in which they’re presented. For example, I’m working on the Lone Star Waltz. Timing is something I need to work on but going up in sixths doesn’t seem like anything that is going to help me play other pieces of music. Plus, I really hate that song.

If you think you like classical music, I personally loved Fundamental Keys. It can take you quite far if you get her full original book here:

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/rach...no-method/paperback/product-6234280.html

You might want to get a good theory book, too. I like Practical Theory Complete by Sandy Feldstein. I wasn't fond of Alfred either.
Posted By: Klavierman Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

And by big pieces, how big exactly? Because if you aren't talking about concerto-length pieces, I suspect you'll have enough time in you to get to some big pieces if you pick and choose. (and of course, stay in good health!)

And for some inspiration, take a look at what our forum hero, Sam S, has been doing, which he started at 62! smile

Thank you. I'm thinking Beethoven's late sonatas, especially the "Hammerklavier," Liszt's Sonata and Mephisto Waltz, Rachmaninov's Sonata No.2, etc.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 03:10 AM

Thank you. I'm thinking Beethoven's late sonatas, especially the "Hammerklavier," Liszt's Sonata and Mephisto Waltz, Rachmaninov's Sonata No.2, etc.

OK. Yes. You probably won't have time for those. LOL. (My sister did Hammerklavier mvt 1 for a jury, but she was 22yo at the time so it doesn't count! haha) Not much chance us adult learners would get to see those nether realms! wink The consolation though is it might be a hare vs. tortoise thing. That is, my sister may have made it to that realm but shortly after college, she gave up piano entirely - lost interest - and now only sight-reads pieces to accompany her kids or husband, who is lesser skilled by much more enthusiastic. So enthusiasm may win out in the end. She played piano a total of 11 years. Just think how many years you potentially have left for piano if you maintain your interest! thumb
Posted By: thepianoplayer416 Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 04:00 AM
I started late in my 30s but have not regretted getting into piano. Having a background playing violin made note reading much easier. As adult learners we have no expectation of ever becoming a professional. But being a member of an amateur music group, I have plenty of opportunities to perform in front of an audience. The group rehearse weekly in a church so I have a large collection of church hymns. As amateur musicians in the group, we all have a keen interest practicing for a few performances at the end of the year.

There are people who had no music training and as adults picked up an instrument so that they can play on Sundays at their church. Can't say the same for everybody since not everybody go to church.
Posted By: outo Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 04:11 AM

Good to notice however, that Sam did not start learning the piano at 62...no pressure for the real beginners at that age smile
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by outo
Good to notice however, that Sam did not start learning the piano at 62...no pressure for the real beginners at that age smile

True, Sam started at 54 or 55, I believe - maybe Sam can clarify for us - and he also had a Bachelors in Music in clarinet already from when he was a young man, so he was no foreigner to music and reading music... but his entire piano effort is all still very inspirational for us adult beginners smile thumb
Posted By: outo Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 05:25 AM

True, Sam started at 54 or 55, I believe - maybe Sam can clarify for us - and he also had a Bachelors in Music in clarinet already from when he was a young man, so he was no foreigner to music and reading music... but his entire piano effort is all still very inspirational for us adult beginners smile thumb

Definitely!
Posted By: scirocco Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 06:29 AM
I’m probably much older than most beginners and I wonder if it’s even worth it

If it’s worth it to you because of the enjoyment then I wouldn’t let the age thing bother you. As someone who learnt a small amount as a child and restarted at age 55, I found the same things easy or hard as I did back then. About the only thing I find harder now is non-dominant hand agility. You can’t fight half a century of it getting excused from service when anything slightly difficult comes along.

And you can quite easily learn within a couple of years a few easy party pieces that you can impress others (and yourself) with while progressing other learning.
Posted By: Sam S Re: I think I’m too old - 10/17/19 10:18 AM

Definitely!

Thanks for the kind words. I try to do the best I can with what I have, which is a good plan for everything about being a senior citizen. I restarted in January '09, after not playing since 1974, so I am in my 10th year now.

It's been said many times, but we should focus on the journey and not the destination. I love setting goals and reaching them, but we also need to take pleasure in working towards the goal, or we will quickly abandon the journey. If you can find something to enjoy each time you sit down at the piano, no matter how small, it will keep you practicing.

Sam
Posted By: Klavierman Re: I think I’m too old - 10/18/19 05:26 PM
Sight reading is still a problem for me. I was used to reading the treble clef while playing classical guitar, but the bass is taking a while to reach the same level of competence. I'm almost past the point of thinking, "It looks like a C, so it's actually an E"! grin Then, of course, there's the issue of reading them at the same time. I developed a terrible habit of memorizing the notes as soon as possible so I could watch my fingers instead of actually reading the music. It's still hard for me not to have to look at my fingers. I suppose it doesn't help that when I get frustrated I go back to what I know and can play well, the guitar! I leave the piano behind for months at a time, so I guess I can't expect my reading skills to improve if I don't stay with the piano and focus solely on it. I'm pretty burned out on the guitar, so maybe this is the time I stay with the piano.
Posted By: Reaper_FBB Re: I think I’m too old - 12/10/19 04:55 PM
I started 2 years ago when I was 47 with no prior music or instrument training. I managed to get my grade 1 and grade 2 (ABRSM) in the first year and am now studying for grade 3. It's tough but I'm pretty determined.

As others have mentioned, consistent practise will affect your progress more than age. And how you deal with frustration (and there will be lots) will determine how long you stick with it.

Try to set yourself realistic expectations and enjoy the journey smile
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I’m too old - 12/10/19 09:42 PM
I started young, with sufficient lessons to get me through the basics. No exams, played in groups during the 70s and 80s in the days when you didn't need to be brilliant to make money.
I'll be about gr6, I imagine. Might scrape my way to a seven, but enjoy playing intermediate classical and other stuff. Some popular music can be surprisingly challenging and rewarding. Most of the quirks and nuances of such songs are immediately recognisable, making the piano the king of instruments.
It's a continuous pleasure to do this. I'm a Septo now ha ha! So I ain't going to get better. But many here will.
Posted By: malkin Re: I think I’m too old - 12/11/19 12:21 AM
I think I am not old enough.

I can see that in a few more years they will start to pay me to stop coming to work, and then I will have more time to practice.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums