Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Ken Knapp Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:11 AM
I just saw a post on facebook from Monica's daughter Athena. She said that Monica passed away at 9:00 tonight.
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:30 AM
Oh, no. That was so fast frown Bless Athena for letting folks know. I am so sorry.
Posted By: earlofmar Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:32 AM
thanks for letting the community know Ken. Monica is going to be greatly missed.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:35 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news.
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:36 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that. Monica's presence here will not be forgotten.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I'm very sorry to hear that. Monica's presence here will not be forgotten.

I couldn't agree more. Terrible news.
She was a welcoming and level-headed presence for several years on the main Piano Forum when I started posting here.
Posted By: AZNpiano Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:37 AM
This is very sad. She will be missed by all of us.
Posted By: Peter K. Mose Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:54 AM
This board is sort of a family, and Monica was one of the wise seniors. Bless her memory.
Posted By: WeakLeftHand Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:58 AM
RIP Monica.
Posted By: Whizbang Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 04:15 AM
frown
Posted By: keystring Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 04:28 AM
I am so sad to read this. frown
Posted By: PianogrlNW Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 04:29 AM
So sorry to hear about Monica’s passing. I was amazed that she performed so well for our last recital. It was only a couple of weeks ago. Most people on hospice are confined to bed but there she was at the keyboard playing her favorite composer.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 05:15 AM
I'm very sad to hear it. While she and I didn't often 'meet' on here despite our both being such long-time members, I was always very happy when we were in the same discussions -- she was such a warm presence. I will miss her very much.
Posted By: Ralphiano Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 05:19 AM
One of life's greatest pleasures is being in the presence of goodness. Monica made sacrifices for the rest of us and probably never gave it a second thought. I'm happy she had children, they will be a great legacy for her, and the world will be better for their presence.

Now, I'll go grieve.
Posted By: peterws Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 05:49 AM
How nicely she played! Music is a journey.
Posted By: AnthonyB Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 05:51 AM
I may not participate in these forums these days but they did make Monica's and my path cross online and in person. I've only met a few people I've known from online a few times and Monica was likely the nicest.

Her presence in this world will surely be missed by all those she had touched.

Rest In Peace Monica.
Posted By: Sibylle Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 06:02 AM
I’m so very sorry to hear this.
Posted By: Animisha Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 06:14 AM
Oh so sad. So fast!
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 06:19 AM
I'm so glad she got to participate in a recital dedicated to her, knowing that so many people were thinking of her.
Posted By: Sibylle Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by KevinM
I'm so glad she got to participate in a recital dedicated to her, knowing that so many people were thinking of her.

True. I also think we should - permanently - name the recital after her in her memory.
Posted By: MarieJ Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 07:00 AM
Monica was an inspiration right to the end, with her grace and courage.

I’ve just lost my piano soul-mate.
Posted By: WTM Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 07:10 AM
Terrible news, may she rest in peace.
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Sibylle

True. I also think we should - permanently - name the recital after her in her memory.

I agree with this. She dedicated herself to the recital keeping it running and participated in every one. It feels right to me.
Posted By: SwissMS Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 08:04 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. Monica will be greatly missed.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 08:34 AM
I am so sad to hear this news. It is so rare these days to know someone who is truly a "real" person that cares so much about others. Her kindness touched so many people here on this forum and probably many other places as well.

You will be sadly missed my friend, but never forgotten.

My heart aches tonight.
Posted By: tangleweeds Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 09:13 AM
I feel terribly bereft, despite never having met her IRL. She was a wise and compassionate presence on the forum for many years, and I always admired her singleminded determination to pursue the all-Enauidi all-the-time musical path she loved so much. Accepted piano pedagogy wisdom to the winds, she played better than many of us ever will.

Love, hugs, and more hugs to her husband and children, if they are reading this. They feel this loss more than we ever could.

Admins, delete this line if you must, but F**K Cancer Anyway! We've all lost too many loved ones to it.
Posted By: BB Player Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 09:33 AM
So very sorry to hear of her passing. I hope it was quiet and surrounded by family (perhaps with Einaudi playing in the background).

She was a wonderful presence here and will be missed.
Posted By: timmyab Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 09:53 AM
Bless her. She will be sorely missed here.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:03 AM
Monica participated in 55 ABF quarterly recitals, and was the admin for most of them.

Here is the best tribute I can think of for her - her 55 recital performances:

Monica K's performances

Sam
Posted By: barbaram Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:10 AM
I'm so sad to read this news. Thanks for letting us know Ken. Sybille, renaming the ABF Quarterly Recitals after Monica is a wonderful idea.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Sibylle
I agree with this. She dedicated herself to the recital keeping it running and participated in every one. It feels right to me.

I agree with Sibylle, KevinM, and barbaram. I think that it would be a fitting tribute to have the quarterly recital permanently named after her, who gave of herself to make it happen and always herself participated - the "Monica K Quarterly Recital." Or if her family will permit, we can use her real name.
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:43 AM
Hopping over from my normal hang out in the piano forum.

I remember Monica K's first posts here on PW. I remember her choosing the Mason & Hamlin and I remember that Athena was also playing (she was a child at the time).

Monica was way too young! I am so sorry to hear this.
Posted By: pathguy Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:48 AM
A big loss not only for her family, but her pianoworld family, too. Rest in Peace, Monica.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:13 AM
Very sad news indeed. Prayers for her family.
Posted By: Pianoperformance Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:28 AM
RIP Monica. So sad to read the news this morning.
I second renaming the quarterly recital in her name, it is a befitting honor.

So many of us have been affected by C, and with one piano friend who passed 1 year a go, I dedicate one of my pieces each year to him. Great way to remember the contributions people made to my piano journey.
Posted By: Grandman Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:31 AM
No, I'm saddened. Monica was always kind to me and I've always enjoyed her posts, even though we've never met. I am going to miss her. God bless and RIP Monica.
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:36 AM
My heart is breaking.

I don't have the words.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:48 AM
Very sad. A loss for the world and for our community. Monica lived with class and died with dignity. She was an inspiration to us all. I agree it would be fitting to name the recital after her so that her memory lives on in this forum. It was her brainchild and her hard work that brought it to so many of us and it would be a great tribute.
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 12:34 PM
RIP Monica.
Posted By: Morodiene Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 12:35 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to her family during this time, and to those who were close to her on PW. She played with all her heart, even in her last days, and she was an inspiration to us all.

I concur with the idea to name the quarterlies after her.

Rest in peace, Monica.
Posted By: malkin Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 01:26 PM
Very sad indeed.
She was a pillar of this community and we will miss her very much.
Posted By: Tim Adrianson Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 01:38 PM
Requiescant in pacem, Monica K -- and thanks for everything you did here, for many years.
Posted By: Stubbie Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 01:47 PM
She is gone too, too soon. My condolences to her family.

It is our great fortune that she lives on in her posts and recital pieces (always signing off with her signature "...lunch today was...") and on her YT channel. God speed, Monica
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
I am so sad to hear this news. It is so rare these days to know someone who is truly a "real" person that cares so much about others. Her kindness touched so many people here on this forum and probably many other places as well.

You will be sadly missed my friend, but never forgotten.

My heart aches tonight.

This.

I got to know Monica back in 2005 when I jointed PW. We talked about academics (she taught Psychology, I taught Economics). She wrote perhaps the most comprehensive review of my first book! We talked about our kids. We talked about music and pianos, of course. We never met in person, but we knew more about each other than many people I see in person on a regular basis. The digital world has many drawbacks, but in this case it lived up to its potential for bringing people together. I will miss her, and remember.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 01:59 PM
I thought I would repost the link to Monica's YT channel where she shared her passion for Einaudi and new age music. It's here. And this was her last recital piece from 3 weeks ago.

I just listened to it again this morning and pictured Monica 'ascending'...
Posted By: dynamobt Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:11 PM
I am so saddened by this news. Monica fought the brave fight. I hope she is at peace.
Posted By: casinitaly Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:34 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this update.

Monica was a very special part of our ABF family and she will be greatly missed.

My deepest sympathies to her family.
Posted By: WiseBuff Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 03:44 PM
Monica, you will be missed. Your love for music and especially Einaudi were an inspiration and will continue to be. Naming the recital after Monica seems like a wonderful remembrance and tribute. So sad to lose her from this family.
Posted By: SMA55 Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 04:30 PM
I’m so very sad to read this update. Monica and I chatted just two weeks ago, and she expressed resolve in her ultimate decision to deal with her untimely illness the way she had. She said that she didn’t see the point in prolonging her suffering, despite being urged by some to do everything possible—including “crackpot alternative remedies” (her words)—to fight her disease. She was as graceful and courageous during that conversation as she had been in any of the others we had had previously. What a wonderful human being. I’ll miss her—as will so many others.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 05:55 PM
RIP Monica. You will be remembered fondly by so many people here.
Posted By: ClsscLib Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 06:45 PM
It's sometimes said that the internet tends to make many people more insensitive than they would ever be in real-life conversation.

We've seen some notable counter-examples to that thesis in this wonderful little community, and Monica was a stellar case in point. I join many others in saying that I will miss her invariable kindness and consideration.

I hope that she and Apple and Minnesota Marty (and so many other great people) are making music together now, wherever they are.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 06:59 PM
This is Athena, Monica's child. In her last directives she wanted me to make a post here, but I see that your loving community has already gotten the ball rolling. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I love reading about how much people appreciated her. This space meant so much to her- for over a decade I've heard stories about all the forum regulars, and I've been awed by the amount of support and love that she's received from people all over the world in the last few months. I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor. It was just one of the many labors in her life that she took on voluntarily, and I'm so glad that she's being recognized for it.

I don't play piano (sorry!) but I loved listening to her play. When I was in high school and college and would sleep in on the weekends, she'd loudly play until I woke up. I was extra careful to listen to her these last few months, and I'll treasure the many recordings she made. I will miss her so much. Thank you so much for being a good, loving place for her.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 07:25 PM
Athena, we’re all so sorry for your loss. She really meant a lot to many of us. It’s quite amazing that she made so many videos, and when you’re ready, they will be there for you to watch and remember her by. I hope the YouTube channel stays up so we can visit her periodically as well.

Thank you for allowing us to share her memory.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 09:01 PM
Athena -- You could start learning! This is a forum for new and returning learners, after all.

Your mom and I used to chat a lot (by private message) about life, the universe and everything ... including our kids!
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Monica K.
This is Athena, Monica's child. In her last directives she wanted me to make a post here, but I see that your loving community has already gotten the ball rolling. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I love reading about how much people appreciated her. This space meant so much to her- for over a decade I've heard stories about all the forum regulars, and I've been awed by the amount of support and love that she's received from people all over the world in the last few months. I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor. It was just one of the many labors in her life that she took on voluntarily, and I'm so glad that she's being recognized for it.

I don't play piano (sorry!) but I loved listening to her play. When I was in high school and college and would sleep in on the weekends, she'd loudly play until I woke up. I was extra careful to listen to her these last few months, and I'll treasure the many recordings she made. I will miss her so much. Thank you so much for being a good, loving place for her.

Thanks for dropping in and including us when it must not be easy.

Take care.
Posted By: malkin Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:40 PM
Athena--
Thank you for stopping in. It is lovely to hear from you. Please take care of yourself and your loved ones at this delicate time.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
I may not participate in these forums these days but they did make Monica's and my path cross online and in person. I've only met a few people I've known from online a few times and Monica was likely the nicest.....

I'd love to hear more about your having met her, also from others who did. Don't know if this thread is the place for that, but wherever it would be, I'd love to see it.

....and.....

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I got to know Monica back in 2005 when I jointed PW. We talked about academics (she taught Psychology, I taught Economics). She wrote perhaps the most comprehensive review of my first book! We talked about our kids. We talked about music and pianos, of course. We never met in person, but we knew more about each other than many people I see in person on a regular basis. The digital world has many drawbacks, but in this case it lived up to its potential for bringing people together. I will miss her, and remember.

Would you be interested to post a link to that review that she wrote?
Posted By: Ted Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 10:57 PM
Monica to me was an example of the force for good that internet communication can be, and long may her gentle, inclusive nature live on in this forum and its music.
Posted By: SoundThumb Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:24 PM
Oh no! Just saw this. We will really miss her presence here.
Posted By: joangolfing Re: Monica.. - 09/02/19 11:31 PM
I was listening to her submission"Ascent" today in Recital #55 and just happened to sign in tonight to the PW forum. Seeing the heading "Monica" I was so sad hearing about her passing away. Indeed she was the most positive presence guiding and modeling what this forum should be about. She has touched us all.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 12:30 AM

Would you be interested to post a link to that review that she wrote?

You're not accepting PMs.
Posted By: dumka1 Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 03:23 AM
So sorry to hear this... I joined this forum only a few years ago and immediately noticed Monica for her invariably positive and supportive presence. And the way she communicated with us during her illness, with humor, wisdom, and strength...Just incredible. I absolutely support naming the quarterly recitals in her memory, she more than deserves this.
Posted By: sinophilia Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 05:57 AM
This forum is such a special and unique place, one of the few safe and friendly havens on the Internet, and Monica had a huge part in making it so. Her attitude even in this terrible time was amazing. My condolences to her family and everyone who knew her.
Posted By: huffmuds9320 Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 06:38 AM
Sorry to hear this. Monica is always welcoming to everyone here. I remember someone on the forum mentioned she is our official greeter. She is always happy to share her knowledge with everyone. Always looked forward to listening to the soothing piano pieces on her Youtube page along with the recitals.
Posted By: Pianist685 Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 09:32 AM
This news is so sad, words cannot express. I did not contribute to recital #55 because I decided to no longer submit anything to the quarterly ABF recitals in general and found it even more inappropriate to upload something only because of Monica's ill-health. But I prayed for her. Now that I read that she did not recover I really do not know what to say. My God, that went fast. My thoughts are with her and her family. ...trying to change the smiley next to my nickname.
Posted By: Peyton Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 11:17 AM
Monica was the best. This forum will be so much less without her.

I'm just so glad we had a chance to say goodby.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Peyton
Monica was the best. This forum will be so much less without her.

I'm just so glad we had a chance to say goodby.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Posted By: opsimath Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 04:13 PM
This is one of the few internet message boards I've come across where helpful and friendly advice tends to outnumber arguments and noise, and I think Monica had a lot to do with how people treat one another here. I hope we can continue that legacy on ABF, and I look forward to playing an Einaudi piece in a future recital in Monica's honor.
Posted By: hawgdriver Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 07:46 PM
Monica was my favorite, her kindness unequaled.
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Monica.. - 09/03/19 08:30 PM

My condolences to all the forum members that were so close with her.

Thanks Athena for fulfilling her last directives and confirming that she died. My condolences to you and the rest of the family.
Posted By: NancyM333 Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 12:38 AM
Oh my. If she was as insightful and irreplaceable in other areas of her life as she was on PianoWorld, I can only imagine what a huge hole this leaves in the world.
Posted By: jazzyprof Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 03:25 AM
She will be greatly missed. May she rest in peace.
Posted By: Tech-key Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 06:24 AM
Rest in peace, Monica. You have left a rich legacy behind through your music and warmth.
Posted By: MeganR Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 01:47 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.
Posted By: John305 Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 03:09 PM
I haven’t been on PW in a little while so I just saw this very sad news. Monica introduced me to a couple of new composers and whenever I hear or play their music, as well as that of Einaudi, I will be thinking of her. I’m deeply saddened by this news, I think I’ll go to the piano now and work on The Aviators by Helen Jane Long, one of the pieces Monica introduced me to and one that I’ve fallen in love with. God bless Monica and her family, may they find peace and comfort during this difficult time.

And I agree with the suggestion to name the quarterly recital after Monica, I think it would be wrong not to.
Posted By: Serge88 Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 09:49 PM
I just got the sad news.

When I was young, I thought youth was forever. Now I'm getting old and I see people I know passed away. I realize that life is short.
Posted By: Peter Hontaru Re: Monica.. - 09/04/19 10:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear these news. My condolences to the family members and friends.

Although I am new to this forum, I already know of Monica and how much she contributed to this community. I think that says enough about the type of person she was.
Posted By: noobpianist90 Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 03:34 AM
I'm very sad to read about this. I haven't checked the forums for a while, and this was a bit of a shock to me. And I'm also sad to see that I missed the recital dedicated to Monica. I'll definitely dedicate an Einaudi piece to her in the next recital.
Posted By: tangleweeds Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 06:33 AM
I'm would like to reintroduce the idea of renaming the recitals in Monica's honor, even though I'm the least possibly relevant person to do so, given that anything resembling recital deadline stress has made my autoimmunes explode from spite.

But it would mean a lot to me, and perhaps to many of us, to see her memory revived within the forum on a regular basis, and where better than with a project she supported so faithfully.

And her family doesn't seem to object.
Posted By: Tech-key Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
I'm would like to reintroduce the idea of renaming the recitals in Monica's honor, even though I'm the least possibly relevant person to do so, given that anything resembling recital deadline stress has made my autoimmunes explode from spite.

But it would mean a lot to me, and perhaps to many of us, to see her memory revived within the forum on a regular basis, and where better than with a project she supported so faithfully.

And her family doesn't seem to object.

I wholeheartedly reciprocate your sentiments. What you and some others are suggesting here is very touching. Hope it happens.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 09:01 AM
What's so unique about this forum is that nobody is really in charge. And it works, it sort of runs itself.

We have a moderator who moderates if needed, and an administrator who administrates when needed, but nobody is really "in charge" or makes the final decision on things. It's more of what the group as a whole wants and what will realistically work.

In the past, much of the input regarding how to run and administer the recital were made by the group as a whole and implemented by the administrator in a way that would realistically work. How often to hold the recital?, what to call it? what are the rules?....those things.

Most, if not all of theses decisions were made this way as to not have any one person "in charge" but rather to include everyone's input.

The decision to honor Monica by renaming the recital after her will most likely happen this way if that's what everyone wants. The administrator has the ability to re-write the heading. The heading of "ABF Beginners and Beyond quarterly recital dedicated to the loving memory of long time charter member Monica Kern." could possibly work. This is just an example to get the ball rolling and the wording can change if needed.

There were several key members who initially created, crafted, and coded the recital to make it what it is today and their efforts have been recognized in every recital. Monica is one of these original recital charter members and her administrative input and efforts since inception regarding the recital are unsurpassed. It would only be fitting to recognize these efforts and her accomplishments by dedicating the recital in her loving memory.

Give it a little time, the next recital is still a few months away. It might just happen.

Posted By: Animisha Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 09:16 AM
The administrator has the ability to re-write the heading. The heading of "ABF Beginners and Beyond quarterly recital dedicated to the loving memory of long time charter member Monica Kern." could possibly work. This is just an example to get the ball rolling and the wording can change if needed.

I also think it is a great idea to put her name to the recital, but I would prefer it so much shorter: "The Monica Kern quarterly recital" would be a nice title, imho. smile
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 09:22 AM
I'm the recital admin now, since Monica passed it on to me. I ran the last two quarterlies, and several themed recitals before that. I've also been maintaining the software for several years now. I just made changes to the upload code for the last recital, since we were having so many duplicate submissions - the changes seem to have worked, at least we didn't have any more duplicates.

But like Mr. S-H says, I'm not really in charge - we all are. I can make the changes to rename the recital, since that seems to be the consensus, and it's an excellent way to honor Monica's legacy.

Send in your suggestions - you can see the current page at recitals.pianoworld.com.

Sam
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Animisha
The administrator has the ability to re-write the heading. The heading of "ABF Beginners and Beyond quarterly recital dedicated to the loving memory of long time charter member Monica Kern." could possibly work. This is just an example to get the ball rolling and the wording can change if needed.

I also think it is a great idea to put her name to the recital, but I would prefer it so much shorter: "The Monica Kern quarterly recital" would be a nice title, imho. smile

I like that.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 10:59 AM

Agree
The Monica Kern Quarterly Recital
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by cmb13

Agree

I think we should check with Athena if she would have preferred "Monica Kern", "Monica Kern Harris", or "Monica Harris." But otherwise, this would be excellent.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by cmb13

Agree

I think we should check with Athena if she would have preferred "Monica Kern", "Monica Kern Harris", or "Monica Harris." But otherwise, this would be excellent.

I agree with Tyrone. We should see what Athena thought Monica would prefer.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 12:13 PM
Let's also add two sentences to the lead post of the " Recital XX --- Month Day, Year" thread, which explains the name of the recital. Tweaking Sam S's text from Recital 55, it could be something like:

"The quarterly ABF recitals after our long-time recital moderator, Monica Kern Harris, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started, and she served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We have owed Monica a lot for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for some many years."

We can tweak this a bit further.
Posted By: LarryK Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 12:44 PM
Let's also add two sentences to the lead post of the " Recital XX --- Month Day, Year" thread, which explains the name of the recital. Tweaking Sam S's text from Recital 55, it could be something like:

"The quarterly ABF recitals after our long-time recital moderator, Monica Kern Harris, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started, and she served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We have owed Monica a lot for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for some many years."

I think you need something like “recitals are dedicated to the memory of.” The “recitals after our” seems like it is missing a verb, and sounds awkward to my ear.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by LarryK

I think you need something like “recitals are dedicated to the memory of.” The “recitals after our” seems like it is missing a verb, and sounds awkward to my ear.

Fix and repost smile
Posted By: LarryK Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 01:00 PM

Fix and repost smile

Ok, I'll try. Others should feel free to improve it.

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Karris, our long-time recital moderator, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started. She served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 01:07 PM
Just a single letter correction:

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started. She served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 01:12 PM
Looks like a nice memorial to me.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 01:17 PM
Or maybe just Monica K., since that was her username, and how she was known to us. Although there may not be any point in remaining anonymous now...

Sam
Posted By: TomInCinci Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 02:37 PM
RIP Monica.

There are some might fine people here. It's heartwarming to see all these posts.
Posted By: Pianoperformance Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 02:51 PM
I love how the dedication is forming, and I like that people instrumental are also mentioned. Yes, would be lovely if Athena gives her blessing.

thank you Sam for your dedication and jumping in to keep the recital going.

Many great people in the forum, and whilst MonicaK encompasses many virtues that we will miss: I do feel many here are a spark of one or two of those virtues.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sam S
Or maybe just Monica K., since that was her username, and how she was known to us. Although there may not be any point in remaining anonymous now...

Sam

We should ask Athena. I agree there isn't much point to anonymity after death.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 04:59 PM
Monica wasn't really anonymous. Anyone could easily find her background and she didn't try to maintain a hard screen.

Yes, Athena should be consulted, but note the name in her obituary:

Monica J. Kern
Posted By: dogperson Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 06:06 PM
Monica wasn't really anonymous. Anyone could easily find her background and she didn't try to maintain a hard screen.

Monica J. Kern

Her screen name here was also Monica K.
Posted By: torquenale Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 06:36 PM
So sorry to hear this.
Monica will be greatly missed.

Condolences to family and friends.
Posted By: MarieJ Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 10:25 PM
Or maybe just Monica K., since that was her username, and how she was known to us.
Sam

I’m sure that Monica would appreciate having her beloved ABF Recitals renamed in her memory. I agree with Sam, keep the new title simple and short: ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital’.

She has been Monica K. - her Piano World username - to us throughout her 18,000+ posts, and will always be remembered here as Monica K. heart
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 10:41 PM

Monica J. Kern

I had no idea she was that young. Way too soon frown

I think I like ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital’. Perhaps also reference her pianomonica Youtube channel in the description of the recital.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/06/19 10:43 PM
Agree. Too young! And so accomplished.
Posted By: jazzyprof Re: Monica.. - 09/07/19 01:40 AM
"The Monica K. Quarterly Recital" has a nice ring to it.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/07/19 06:22 AM
I've worked closely with Monica and a few other members during the creation of our online recital. She always encouraged opposing viewpoints on issues which could spur new and unique ideas; but in the end, she was usually the voice of reason. She had a unique way of somehow pleasing everyone with her decisions that she implemented, probably because they were well thought out without anyone having to compromise too much.

One thing that stood out while working with her was that she liked to keep things simple and organized. She knew that something too long and complicated may just get passed over. I'm pretty sure she would go for something simple and to the point regarding renaming the recital title. We may also want to wait just a bit before deciding on a new name in order for everyone to have a chance to give their input. Monica would have wanted it that way.
Posted By: RosemaryGirl Re: Monica.. - 09/07/19 08:51 AM
Thank you for letting us know the sad news. I'm relatively new to the forum and barely come on here these days, but I could see how precious Monica was to us all…
May she rest in peace, and her family find solace in reminiscing about how wonderful she was to so many people.
Posted By: Pianoperformance Re: Monica.. - 09/07/19 12:34 PM
We may also want to wait just a bit before deciding on a new name in order for everyone to have a chance to give their input. Monica would have wanted it that way.

I concur....it is still too early in the process and given her family are in the throng of arrangements.
Heck, I don’t know any of you guys, and yet we are sharing this personal piano journey. This tragic event just got so much more personal.

Thanks Mr super hunky for sharing your insights.
Posted By: pathguy Re: Monica.. - 09/07/19 05:11 PM

Monica J. Kern

Thank you for posting the obituary, Piano*Dad. I knew Monica was special; I guess I just didn't know exactly how special she was. What an enormous loss.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Monica.. - 09/07/19 07:50 PM
I think using the name Monica K. reflects her distinguished history on the forum.
Posted By: Pianoperformance Re: Monica.. - 09/08/19 01:44 AM
https://youtu.be/m3c2zwTWCso

Monica’s memorial shared. ❤️
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/08/19 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
https://youtu.be/m3c2zwTWCso

Monica’s memorial shared. ❤️

Thank you so much Pianoperformance!
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/08/19 02:46 AM
Thank you.
Posted By: aTallGuyNH Re: Monica.. - 09/08/19 04:52 AM
I haven't posted in years, but coming to pay my respects here as well, after seeing Monica's memorial service come up on my YouTube notifications.

Renaming the quarterly recitals is such a great idea. I'm glad to see that ABF continues to be a little oasis of loveliness.
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: Monica.. - 09/08/19 06:28 AM
Monica was very kind. She reached out to me via PM when we joined. She’ll Piano world is not the same without her. RIP
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/08/19 04:28 PM
Lovely tribute.
Posted By: Montuno Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 01:11 PM
Rest in peace Monica
Posted By: Montuno Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 01:29 PM

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started. She served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

May I humbly suggest an alternative version?

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator. Monica served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 01:40 PM
Wow! What a tribute that service was.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 04:49 PM
Might I suggest that we go by one of the names she usually used:

Monica K (here)
Monica J. Kern (professionally and for most other things).
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 07:19 PM
I do think that using "Monica K" is probably best. That is the name that we know her by, and all of her recital performances and thousands of posts are under that name.

Sam
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Montuno

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator. Monica served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

Since Piano*Dad has pointed out the name she preferred to go by in life, the internal paragraph can be further tweaked to be:

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

The above, taken with a recital name of ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' should nicely combine all the points of view on the naming. We should consult with Athena though. Someone have Athena on their Facebook friends list who could ask her if these two things would work for the family?
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 10:44 PM

Since Piano*Dad has pointed out the name she preferred to go by in life, the internal paragraph can be further tweaked to be:

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

The above, taken with a recital name of ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' should nicely combine all the points of view on the naming. We should consult with Athena though. Someone have Athena on their Facebook friends list who could ask her if these two things would work for the family?

+1 thumb
Posted By: LarryK Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 11:15 PM

I think it is good, although I would go with the American “favorite” and not the British “favourite.”

I think “loved” should be “beloved.”
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 11:24 PM
I think it is good, although I would go with the American “favorite” and not the British “favourite.”

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and beloved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

Posted By: pathguy Re: Monica.. - 09/09/19 11:47 PM

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and beloved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

Lovely ❤️
Posted By: enw10 Re: Monica.. - 09/10/19 12:55 AM
The Monica K. Quarterly Recital

The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition, she was an active and beloved contributor to the Piano World forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years.

(punctuation changes)
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/10/19 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by enw10
The Monica K. Quarterly Recital

The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition, she was an active and beloved contributor to the Piano World forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years.

(punctuation changes)

This version sums up everything and is a nice tribute to Monica. I like it and would vote for it.

One caveat however... It is important to continue to recognize and credit the efforts of several other founding members who originally started our online recital [conception, programming, hosting, archiving] contributing a considerable amount of time and resources in doing so. This has been done in a separate paragraph and included in every recital. Their efforts as well as the history of the recital should continue to be preserved this way.

Once the recital had been created and working, it needed to be administered to the group in a way that worked for everyone. This is where Monica stepped in and she never looked back. From our very first recital she was there. And as a result, we are all the better for it.

Monica did a better job in this position than anyone could have hoped for and as a result our ABF recitals became more successful than anyone at the time could have imagined. Monicas contributions and administering of the recital had a huge impact on its success and this tribute to her is not only fitting, it has been earned...many times over!

Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/10/19 08:58 AM
The text at recitals.pianoworld.com has the history and credits the founding members. We shouldn't get rid of that history, just add to it.

Sam
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/10/19 11:08 AM
The text at recitals.pianoworld.com has the history and credits the founding members. We shouldn't get rid of that history, just add to it.

Sam

Yes, the proposed text was only proposed as an addition, not a substitution.
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/10/19 03:39 PM
Mr_Super-Hunky and Sam S -

+1
Posted By: Peyton Re: Monica.. - 09/11/19 10:51 AM
Well said and I agree.

This version sums up everything and is a nice tribute to Monica. I like it and would vote for it.

One caveat however... It is important to continue to recognize and credit the efforts of several other founding members who originally started our online recital [conception, programming, hosting, archiving] contributing a considerable amount of time and resources in doing so. This has been done in a separate paragraph and included in every recital. Their efforts as well as the history of the recital should continue to be preserved this way.

Once the recital had been created and working, it needed to be administered to the group in a way that worked for everyone. This is where Monica stepped in and she never looked back. From our very first recital she was there. And as a result, we are all the better for it.

Monica did a better job in this position than anyone could have hoped for and as a result our ABF recitals became more successful than anyone at the time could have imagined. Monicas contributions and administering of the recital had a huge impact on its success and this tribute to her is not only fitting, it has been earned...many times over!

Posted By: Roger Ransom Re: Monica.. - 09/11/19 04:52 PM
In her first few years her user name was Monica Kern. She had it changed at some point because she felt uncomfortable with her full name.
Posted By: TwoSnowflakes Re: Monica.. - 09/12/19 02:56 PM
So, I don’t play Einaudi. Never have. BUT, I slid an Einaudi piece past the goalposts this week in ballet class in honor of Monica. The classes I accompany for require a rather firm classical foundation, but I did find some Einaudi excerpts which would work. I did it in a class where the teacher is not appreciative of this style of music and yet she liked this one so much she stopped class after I played it to ask me what piece it had been.

I hope wherever Monica is, she was happy about it!

Back to Schubert....
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/12/19 06:08 PM
Back to Schubert....

grin
Posted By: Gary001 Re: Monica.. - 09/25/19 12:19 PM
Sad news. I've not listened to the recent recitals but will now make a point of listening to recital #55. I also agree the renaming would be a nice tribute to work Monica put in for all of us on the recitals.

Monica is the reason I started listening to Einaudi several years ago. Her enthusiasm for the recitals will be missed frown
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/25/19 01:19 PM
Just to confirm the agreement of the ABF members, I believe this was what was finally agreed.

New name of quarterly recital to be used in titles and subject lines and on the recital portal: "The Monica K. Quarterly Recital"

Text (enw10 version) to be added to the recital portal website, the recital announcement post, and the recital thread (but not in replacement of the existing text providing the history of the recital and naming other significant contributors) :
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/25/19 01:48 PM
Looks great to me
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/25/19 02:27 PM
Yes, I will make the change before the next recital...

Sam
Posted By: Peyton Re: Monica.. - 09/25/19 06:00 PM
Nice. I know Monica would be very pleased to see how we have honored her memory.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/25/19 08:48 PM
Two thumbs up!
Posted By: Pianoperformance Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 01:04 AM
Got my vote...and we are acknowledging the other past and present admins too, right?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Got my vote...and we are acknowledging the other past and present admins too, right?

3rd paragraph
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 08:54 AM

This.

So I vote against it.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by wouter79

This.

So I vote against it.

Did you see this? "(but not in replacement of the existing text providing the history of the recital and naming other significant contributors)"? Probably I should have put it in red.

I think we all agree with mr_super-hunky and I don't even see why this is an issue since everyone has been in violent agreement on this point - the existing text with all significant contributors and the early history of the recital must remain and the suggested tribute to Monica is only in addition.
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 11:20 AM
Tyrone, to clarify,I feel the other contributors are put too much in the shadow. Are their names also to be added when they die? And why just then? It just does not make sense to me.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 11:45 AM
Two thumbs up!

Make that four thumbs up!
Posted By: Handyman Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Peyton
Nice. I know Monica would be very pleased to see how we have honored her memory.

I wonder - would she have approved of the renaming? What do you think she would have said if the idea had been proposed to her before her passing?
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 12:05 PM
I made the changes to the landing page for the quarterly recitals. I think we have probably reached a consensus on this, but don't let me stop the discussion...

Sam
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 07:51 PM
Monica made a huge contribution to the forum and the recital series, and naming it in her honour is simply a nice way of keeping her memory alive.

I think it feels right, and doesn't prevent us from acknowledging the contributions of others.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by wouter79
Tyrone, to clarify,I feel the other contributors are put too much in the shadow. Are their names also to be added when they die? And why just then? It just does not make sense to me.

Not one word will be removed from the discussion of the other contributors. I don't think anyone has suggested even subtracting one word from what is presently there. Someone who reads Recital 56 will see every word about every one of other contributors that they saw for Recital 54 and 55, for example.

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Monica made a huge contribution to the forum and the recital series, and naming it in her honour is simply a nice way of keeping her memory alive.

I think it feels right, and doesn't prevent us from acknowledging the contributions of others.

+1
Posted By: casinitaly Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 08:53 PM
I think this is a wonderful idea, and I fully support this recognition of Monica and her contibution to the recital.

The only point I would raise is that by using title ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' there is no reference to ABF, and I think that's something to be considered.

I think it is important from a technical point of view for searches and looking things up, for continuity - but more importantly, the whole point of being Adult Beginners (and beyond) is fundamental to our group. Monica made a point of welcoming new members, she was always encouraging new beginners, and was particularly supportive of those who (for whatever reason) were facing the new challenges through self-teaching.

Will great respect for Monica and this renaming - I feel it would be appropriate to keep the ABF initialism as part of the recital title, that is to say:

"The ABF Monica K. Quarterly Recital".

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I think this is a wonderful idea, and I fully support this recognition of Monica and her contibution to the recital.

The only point I would raise is that by using title ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' there is no reference to ABF, and I think that's something to be considered.

I think it is important from a technical point of view for searches and looking things up, for continuity - but more importantly, the whole point of being Adult Beginners (and beyond) is fundamental to our group. Monica made a point of welcoming new members, she was always encouraging new beginners, and was particularly supportive of those who (for whatever reason) were facing the new challenges through self-teaching.

Will great respect for Monica and this renaming - I feel it would be appropriate to keep the ABF initialism as part of the recital title, that is to say:

Just my 2 cents.

I like that idea.
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 09:07 PM

Another +1 here.

I feel less the need for including ABF in the title, but at the same time I'm happy to go with it or not.
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/26/19 10:42 PM

Just my 2 cents.

+1
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by jotur

Just my 2 cents.

+1

+2
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 05:48 AM
It seems my clarification was not clear enough.

I'm talking about the suggested name change of the recital. I'm not concerned about the contents of that paragraph. Please re-read my clarification and ignore the quote.

Anyway it seems this discussion is on a dead and as Sam already did the name change.
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 06:34 AM
oops, duplicate, PW was not responding
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 07:39 AM
I think it goes without saying that everyone here deeply loved Monica and wants to do something to honor her memory.

I also remember discussing the proposed title of the recital with her and several other members at the time and the "Beginner and Beyond" moniker seemed to fit best. It was in direct response to what to do about all the "beginners" who have been playing for decades but still participate in a "beginners" recital!

Monica absolutely loved the "Beyond" part of the name as it not only solved the problem of what to do with all the obvious non "beginners", but it did it in a way that was inclusive and welcoming to everyone without making them feel like they need to leave or not participate in the recital anymore after a certain amount of time. The term "Beginner and Beyond" meant just that, and even though most of us are not really beginners anymore, many of us started out here as just that. I know I did.

I feel pretty confident that she would have wanted the main title of the recital to remain " The ABF quarterly
Beginners and Beyond recital". But she also would have been appreciative of being recognized for all of her efforts and contributions to the recital over the years.

I think we can accomplish both goals which are:

1.) Keeping the name of the recital accurate and relevant.
2.) Honoring the memory of longtime member and administrator Monica K.

This can be done by keeping the recital name the same and adding the dedication paragraph just underneath the title [on a permanent basis].

As mentioned previously, Monica was a huge asset in the success of our online recitals by administering them for so many years flawlessly, but it was the efforts of several other members who actually created and "started" our recital. It was the efforts of these members working together that made it all happen.

Theoretically, we could name the recital after any one of these founding members who contributed so much but the only real fair way to do this would be to name the recital after every one of the founding members who started it as they all had an equal part in creating it.

But what we really want to do is honor Monica and show our appreciation for all of her efforts and I think we can do this by dedicating the recital to her without actually renaming it but adding the dedication paragraph under the title.. This accomplishes both goals of keeping the future communication clear as to who this recital is for as well as keeping the memory of Monica alive and in out thoughts.

The next recital is still almost 2 months away and this discussion should probably continue on a bit longer as several members have brought up some very valid points. There is no time frame or rush to get this done so let's spend a bit more time discussing this so if and when a change is made it is thoroughly thought out and implemented confidently without any hesitation.
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 08:22 AM
Being one of those who was here at the start with Monica, it is fantastic to get your view mr_super_hunky.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 09:13 AM
Well I was in the process of editing my post after proof reading it but apparently there is a time limit to accomplish this, even if you already hit the 'edit' button. It seems you can get 'timed out' from editing your post even after you hit the 'edit' button and start to edit the post. If you take too long to do it, [editing]....you get timed out !

I haven't had this happen when editing a post on other sites and wonder if something can be done about this on this forum?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, a couple of things I wanted to change in my reply [but can't] so here they are:
1.) I wanted to change the word "problem" as in 'what to do with the 'problem' of too many seasoned non-beginners' in our recital to "question" as it sounds better. It really was a problem in the beginning however as many true 'beginners' were intimidated by the advanced playing abilities of other members. The purpose of these recitals however was to provide a 'snapshot' of someones progress over time and many of our intermediate to advanced players started out here from day one and it's kind of neat to listen to their progress over time.

These now more advanced players who still perform in our recitals are not really a problem, but rather an inspiration to all of us; especially the true beginners. They can see what is possible if you just stick with it over time. With Sams archived recital index, you can literally go back over a decade and listen to members recordings back when they were just starting out.

So our seasoned members were welcomed with the Beyond moniker in the title as that was the ultimate goal [to pursue and stick with piano as a hobby over time as opposed to getting run off with no place to go once you get good at it!]. That would be counter-productive and make absolutely no sense.

2.) I also left out and wanted to add that it may be more appropriate as well as more accurate to 'dedicate' the recitals to Monica and recognize her efforts as opposed to renaming the recital after her. This is not in any way a 'lesser' memorial of her but rather a way to keep her memory alive and in our thoughts on a permanent basis while keeping the name of the recital and communication to future participants clear and to the point. Monica really liked that fact when the original name was finally chosen.
Posted By: LarryK Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 09:53 AM
The time limit on editing posts is one of the most annoying aspects of posting here but I’ve made it a game to see how many edits I can get in within ten minutes, which I think is the time period. It would be nice if they could change the time limit to twenty minutes. There are good reasons not to allow posts to be edited indefinitely.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 10:32 AM
The whole "Beginner and Beyond" change (I was the one who carried out the change for the forum, and was involved in the discussion) was not needed, I think. A few vocal members were complaining that the recitals were not really "beginner" anymore. Well, the recitals are open to everyone - you don't even need a forum account to participate. If beginners don't take part that's just human nature. It really takes a dedicated beginner to play in front of other people, even in an anonymous forum. And the idea that the veteran recital performers were "no longer welcome" was not well thought out. The advanced players and veteran recital performers are the members who keep this forum active.

This forum (and by extension, the recital) has always had a naming problem. Many who participate are restarting piano, not beginners. I've been here since 2007, and no one would call me a beginner anymore. Do I need to stop participating?

If I remember correctly, Monica was reluctant abut adding "Beginner and Beyond", but we went with the consensus, and did it anyway. I don't think the change accomplished anything - the character of the recital didn't change, and we didn't attract more beginners.

Yes, I have already changed the name of the recital to "ABF Monica K. Quarterly Recital". But if the consensus wants it removed, I'll change it back. I removed the "Beginner and Beyond" wording some time ago...

We also need to have a discussion (maybe in another thread?) about the future of the recital. I've taken Monica's place as admin. That's an easy, but tedious, job, four times a year. I also maintain the software for the recitals and created the index. That doesn't take much time, but requires special skills. I took over maintaining the software years ago when the original person disappeared, then moved it all to the PW servers (which is good and bad). I have no backup person. It would at least be good to have someone who has been around a long time, has no plan to stop participating, and knows how to keep a php/mysql site running, that I can share the passwords with. So that there is continuity when something happens to me...

Sam
Posted By: MarieJ Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 10:36 AM

But what we really want to do is honor Monica and show our appreciation for all of her efforts and I think we can do this by dedicating the recital to her without actually renaming it but adding the dedication paragraph under the title.. This accomplishes both goals of keeping the future communication clear as to who this recital is for as well as keeping the memory of Monica alive and in out thoughts.

The next recital is still almost 2 months away and this discussion should probably continue on a bit longer as several members have brought up some very valid points. There is no time frame or rush to get this done so let's spend a bit more time discussing this so if and when a change is made it is thoroughly thought out and implemented confidently without any hesitation.

Mr Super-Hunky, you are probably the best-placed of all of us to offer advice, and i found your comments both sensitive and sensible.

And you are right - there is no need to rush any changes.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 12:22 PM
I still vote to change the name of the recital. I don't agree with the idea of wouter79 and mr_super-hunky. Furthermore, I feel the greatest amount of support in this thread is for changing the title.

However, as Sam has said before when this topic of name change first came up, I think this forum is by and for our members/participators. I am thinking that we should have a proper vote though to see what the silent majority thinks. Perhaps we can add this as a question to the next annual survey, Sam, which should be coming up when we come up with more questions? Ask the question and then a simple majority decides it.
Posted By: Handyman Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 12:40 PM
2.) I also left out and wanted to add that it may be more appropriate as well as more accurate to 'dedicate' the recitals to Monica and recognize her efforts as opposed to renaming the recital after her. This is not in any way a 'lesser' memorial of her but rather a way to keep her memory alive and in our thoughts on a permanent basis while keeping the name of the recital and communication to future participants clear and to the point. Monica really liked that fact when the original name was finally chosen.

Excellent point, well stated...

Among her many commendable qualities Monica was humble, and that humility probably has her looking down right now from that big Recital Room in the sky while she is seated in front of that now always in perfect tune Mason and Hamlin and wanting to give everyone a gigantic group hug for their love and good intentions, but nevertheless feeling just a tad uncomfortable with the idea of having her name included in the title of the ABF Recitals...just wondering if she might suggest something else instead...maybe even "The ABF Mr. Super_Hunky Recital"...
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 12:43 PM
Monica is gone but her proxy who has her password has said:

Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 01:12 PM

+1
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 01:13 PM
I still vote to change the name of the recital. I don't agree with the idea of wouter79 and mr_super-hunky. Furthermore, I feel the greatest amount of support in this thread is for changing the title.

However, as Sam has said before when this topic of name change first came up, I think this forum is by and for our members/participators. I am thinking that we should have a proper vote though to see what the silent majority thinks. Perhaps we can add this as a question to the next annual survey, Sam, which should be coming up when we come up with more questions? Ask the question and then a simple majority decides it.

I also vote to change it.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 02:20 PM
I think it would be a nice memorial to name it after her. I recognize there were others who helped create the recital and who were instrumental in its progress. But Monica selflessly and caringly took the time to work as the administrator for many years and was taken from us too young. Not to diminish the contributions of anyone else, but IMO the tribute is fitting and deserved.

I also think this should go to a new thread if we are to continue the discussion or put it to a vote.

Addendum: maybe we could add founding members in a list on the front page of each recital.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 02:54 PM
A survey would be misleading, since I can't control who answers a survey. If you are interested in this topic, then state your opinion. Personally I think we have come up with a fitting tribute. For 13+ years she kept the quarterly recitals going...

Sam
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 03:02 PM
Personally I think we have come up with a fitting tribute. For 13+ years she kept the quarterly recitals going...

+1!
Posted By: Stubbie Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 07:13 PM
I think it deserves consideration that Monica was not only one of the founders, but that she remained active as both an administrator and a participant in all of the recitals. This, in a forum where the average participant is here for a season and then disappears. Monica stayed with it for over thirteen years. For that she deserves special recognition.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I think it deserves consideration that Monica was not only one of the founders, but that she remained active as both an administrator and a participant in all of the recitals. This, in a forum where the average participant is here for a season and then disappears. Monica stayed with it for over thirteen years. For that she deserves special recognition.

That she herself submitted to every recital for 13 years is amazing by itself. She walked the walk, with respect to recitals. She never cut herself one break or skipped a recital for any reason. She gave of herself for these recitals.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 07:55 PM
Personally I think we have come up with a fitting tribute. For 13+ years she kept the quarterly recitals going...

+1!

+2
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 08:59 PM
Many who participate are restarting piano, not beginners.

... or restarting after restarting after restarting. smile

The point is that we're all very much REAL amateurs who won't be confused with conservatory-trained musicians who might periodically appear in big-name "amateur" competitions.

On naming, I'm content with the change to refer to Monica in the title. But offering a dedication somewhere on the page is fine too ...

as in:

-- ABF recital --

in memory of Monica J. Kern (Monica K) who etc. etc.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 09:08 PM

Once again I can't stress enough how a thorough discussion on this subject over time is going to give us the best results. No need or benefit for any knee jerk reactions or implementations. Next recital is still nearly 2 months away.

The above quote that Tyrone posted is written by Monicas daughter Athena in which she states "I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor". Nothing will trump that statement. I agree.

I could continue to go on about how Monica would appreciate being recognized for her work and efforts but also would not want the recitals to become all about her. Simple and effective communication was very important to her. She wanted to get to the point in a simple and clear way so that as many people could clearly understand the concept with as little confusion as possible. We discussed this at length together in the beginning via p.m's when deciding upon a name change. She taught me a lot. She was very particular about this. [Remember the deadlines which were firm...Think Concrete!!

Having said that, I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Monica's daughter had clearly stated that she's honored to have the recitals named in Monica's honor and those were her exact directives towards us.

So let's do that that. Name the recital in her honor as requested.
Posted By: Morodiene Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 09:39 PM

Once again I can't stress enough how a thorough discussion on this subject over time is going to give us the best results. No need or benefit for any knee jerk reactions or implementations. Next recital is still nearly 2 months away.

The above quote that Tyrone posted is written by Monicas daughter Athena in which she states "I'm very honored that you're considering naming the recital in her honor". Nothing will trump that statement. I agree.

I could continue to go on about how Monica would appreciate being recognized for her work and efforts but also would not want the recitals to become all about her. Simple and effective communication was very important to her. She wanted to get to the point in a simple and clear way so that as many people could clearly understand the concept with as little confusion as possible. We discussed this at length together in the beginning via p.m's when deciding upon a name change. She taught me a lot. She was very particular about this. [Remember the deadlines which were firm...Think Concrete!!

Having said that, I honestly don't know what to do at this point. Monica's daughter had clearly stated that she's honored to have the recitals named in Monica's honor and those were her exact directives towards us.

So let's do that that. Name the recital in her honor as requested.

I support this as well.
Posted By: Handyman Re: Monica.. - 09/27/19 10:14 PM
Well, Monica's daughter only said that she'd be honored if we renamed the Recital after her mother - she didn't insist or even ask that we do so - nor did she say that Monica had asked her to request that we do this...

However, I have no real objection if we change the name to that which has been proposed - I think it's a very fitting tribute - I was only wondering WWMD?

Anyone have a direct hot line to the Great Beyond?
Posted By: Peyton Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 09:37 AM
After reflection, I agree with SH that renaming the recital is not necessary. I think that dedicating the recital to Monica is the most important thing.
Posted By: wouter79 Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 11:06 AM
Would Monica like to have her name there?

I think not. I think she preferred to stay in the background.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 11:42 AM
Here is the very first original recital thread posted on 1/10/2006, almost 14 years ago that was presented to the group.

. http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1029994/1.html

It may answer a few questions as to how it all came together as this is exactly how it was formed.

It should be clearly obvious that we were all dependent on the expertise and technical knowledge of Bob Muir at the time. While I came up with the original concept, I had no idea how to implement it and get it started. This is where Bob Muir came in. It was Bob's technical knowledge in the beginning that actually got the concept off the ground and semi-working before we ran into all kinds of problems [mainly finding a server to host the recital on as well as someone proficient enough to write a program that would actually work].

It was at this time that Bob and I turned to member LaValse [a programmer] to help out with the programming requirements that were needed. In addition, we needed a server to host the recital as Pianoworld could not host the recital back then on their server. In addition to donating his time to write a program for our recital, LaValse also donated space on his server [at work] to host our recitals. Had he not done those things for us, the recital would never had got off the ground.

Fast forward to the third from the last reply on page 15 on this thread, you will see when Monica stepped in as recital administrator when she suggested that we may need help running this thing on a regular basis. She was right and instinctively took on the 'recital administrator' role and never looked back.

The real breakthrough in our online recitals came when member Mahzeit stepped in and offered to write an upgraded program that ran the recital significantly smoother and more reliable. The other big improvement was when Pianoworld [Frank] agreed to allow us to host our recitals on the Pianoworld server. This was HUGE as LaValse could no longer offer up his server for us to use but Franks generosity in allowing us to use the Pianoworld server saved the day.

As time progressed, new additions to the recital were introduced by other members just to make things fun which included awards, participation trophies, the official "one month before the recital thread" and eventually the archiving of past recitals once we had a few under out belt.

You can see that many people were involved in the creation of our recitals and I would hate for their efforts to be discounted or go unrecognized. While Monica's efforts as administrator was paramount to the ongoing success of our recitals, she was not alone in contributing to the success of our recitals. This is important to remember when choosing to possibly rename the title.

I miss Monica deeply as I'm sure we all do. She was a great recital administrator and probably an even better role model for all of us to look up to. This is why so many of us want to do something to honor her memory. But we need to be careful not to change the narrative in the process.

I'd personally like to see Monica honored in a way that keeps her memory alive and in our thoughts while ALSO continuing to recognize the original founding recital members that originally created it.
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 12:48 PM
Mr HS, I really appreciate your contribution. I guess for you it is more painful to discuss this topic than for many of us more recent contributors to the recitals, and you understandably feel the need to make sure we all have the full context and history.

My personal gut feeling is I'd like to see Monica's name explicitly mentioned in the title, this comes down to recognising the loss of someone who would otherwise have had a lot more to contribute.

But I think I need to put this aside, and instead listen to voices like yours, for two reasons, firstly your relationship with Monica was far longer and deeper than mine, and secondly you have been involved with the recitals from the beginning like Monica and know from experience the history of the recitals, which in my view gives you a better appreciation of what is appropriate.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 12:57 PM
Since it seems we aren't going to do a survey, I have assembled the votes from this thread into 6 choice categories:
  • For renaming recital (25): Sibylle, KevinM, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, MarieJ, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, enw10, jotur, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie
  • Against renaming recital (3): mr_super-hunky, wouter97, Peyton
  • Undecided: For either a new name or just a dedication (2): Piano*Dad, Peyton
  • Undecided: For waiting until later to decide on renaming (1): MarieJ
  • Undecided: For wishing we knew what Monica would have wanted (1): Handyman
  • Undecided: Did not come out explicitly for or against, but did acknowledged name change in a post (5): LarryK, dogperson, Montuno, pathway, Roger Ransom

Anyone can change their votes anytime, if they wish and move into another choice category, especially the 9 of you out there that I've lumped into the four "undecide" choice categories, based on your comments, if any of you would like to throw into the first two choices.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 01:02 PM
Mr HS, I really appreciate your contribution. I guess for you it is more painful to discuss this topic than for many of us more recent contributors to the recitals, and you understandably feel the need to make sure we all have the full context and history.

My personal gut feeling is I'd like to see Monica's name explicitly mentioned in the title, this comes down to recognising the loss of someone who would otherwise have had a lot more to contribute.

But I think I need to put this aside, and instead listen to voices like yours, for two reasons, firstly your relationship with Monica was far longer and deeper than mine, and secondly you have been involved with the recitals from the beginning like Monica and know from experience the history of the recitals, which in my view gives you a better appreciation of what is appropriate.

Kevin, if you would like to move into one of the undecided choice categories, just amend my last post.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 01:18 PM
You can see that many people were involved in the creation of our recitals and I would hate for their efforts to be discounted or go unrecognized. While Monica's efforts as administrator was paramount to the ongoing success of our recitals, she was not alone in contributing to the success of our recitals. This is important to remember when choosing to possibly rename the title.

I miss Monica deeply as I'm sure we all do. She was a great recital administrator and probably an even better role model for all of us to look up to. This is why so many of us want to do something to honor her memory. But we need to be careful not to change the narrative in the process.

I'd personally like to see Monica honored in a way that keeps her memory alive and in our thoughts while ALSO continuing to recognize the original founding recital members that originally created it.

I believe renaming the recital and leaving the dedication to all those who historically contributed appropriately covers all these three points. Renaming the recital, in particular, does not "change the narrative" except for those who think it changes the narrative. That's a bit circular, but I am just saying that with the proper dedications inside - one being the dedication to Monica explaining, then the narrative doesn't change. Note that we live in a world where often monuments, locations, streets, buildings, etc. are named after individuals. This doesn't wipe away the significance and contributions of everyone else who were essential for those monuments, locations, streets, buildings, etc.

For anyone objecting to the name change on the basis of "change of narrative" alone, I can propose a modified dedication to Monica:
The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition, she was an active and beloved contributor to the Piano World forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years. Although she has been one of the several who have supported these recitals, it is to honor her memory, that the name of this recital has been changed to "The Monica K. Quarterly Recital."

Change the above if you would like to further propose.
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 02:40 PM
Thank you Mr_Super-Hunky. I've pretty much stayed out of this discussion, but I, too, had some concerns about losing the history, and you've laid it out. I remember LaValse, and Mahlzeit, and Bob Muir, and you, as well as Monica and Sam (thank you, Sam!) and Copper (red dot medals FTW!). So, my preference, to add to the wrenches in the works and with respect to Sam's thoughts, is to not rename the recital, but to dedicate it to Monica with the wording proposed. I could never quite get myself clear, and I'm so glad you've thought it through.

Not that I would leave if my preference isn't followed. You can't get rid of me that easily. But that's my thought.
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 02:42 PM
And, as Mr_Super-hunky says, discussion helps a lot. I'm much more comfortable with Tyrone's latest wording.

Mr_Super-Hunky FTW!
Posted By: Roger Ransom Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 03:37 PM
Of course, like most internet forums, there are only a dozen or so people who tend to monopolize the discussions. All the rest of the hundreds or thousands of users prefer to stay in the background and prefer to not get themselves involved with controversial topics. My opinion is to leave the name as it is and mention Mrs. Kern (I didn't know her well enough to call her Monica) in a dedication comment. I mean would we then be obligated to rename it every time something tragic happens?
Posted By: KevinM Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 05:23 PM
Removing my name for renaming the recital. Since I am so wishy washy and I'm not sure that a simple vote captures what might be considered fair, I am not putting myself anywhere. This isn't any kind of passive aggressive side swipe. Just my own reasoning for myself.

Since it seems we aren't going to do a survey, I have assembled the votes from this thread into 6 choice categories:
  • For renaming recital (24): Sibylle, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, MarieJ, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, enw10, jotur, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie
  • Against renaming recital (3): mr_super-hunky, wouter97, Peyton
  • Undecided: Did not come out explicitly for or against, but did acknowledged name change in a post (5): LarryK, dogperson, Montuno, pathway, Roger Ransom

Anyone can change their votes anytime, if they wish and move into another choice category, especially the 9 of you out there that I've lumped into the four "undecide" choice categories, based on your comments, if any of you would like to throw into the first two choices.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 07:17 PM
OK, I've updated to further reflect jotur and Roger Ransom's latest expressed thoughts. Again, feel free to vote further or change your votes.

• For renaming recital (23): Sibylle, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, MarieJ, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, enw10, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie
  • Against renaming recital (5): mr_super-hunky, wouter97, Peyton, jotur, Roger Ransom
  • Undecided: Did not come out explicitly for or against, but did acknowledged name change in a post (4): LarryK, dogperson, Montuno, pathway

Anyone can change their votes anytime, if they wish and move into another choice category, especially the 8 of you out there that I've lumped into the four "undecide" choice categories, based on your comments, if any of you would like to throw into the first two choices.
Posted By: LarryK Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 07:21 PM
Ok, you can change my vote into the category of “For renaming.” I think her daughter will be touched by the gesture.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 07:35 PM
Updated with LarryK's latest expressed thoughts. Again, feel free to vote further or change any of your votes.

• For renaming recital (24): Sibylle, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, MarieJ, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, enw10, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie, LarryK
  • Against renaming recital (5): mr_super-hunky, wouter97, Peyton, jotur, Roger Ransom
  • Undecided: Did not come out explicitly for or against, but did acknowledged name change in a post (3): dogperson, Montuno, pathway

Anyone can change their votes anytime, if they wish and move into another choice category, especially the 7 of you out there that I've lumped into the four "undecide" choice categories, based on your comments, if any of you would like to throw into the first two choices.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 09:43 PM
I had to make a correction since MarieJ changed her opinion and I didn't realise it was a changed view versus weighing in for the first time. Now corrected below.

• For renaming recital (23): Sibylle, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, enw10, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie, LarryK
  • Undecided: Did not come out explicitly for or against, but did acknowledged name change in a post (3): dogperson, Montuno, pathway

Anyone can change their votes anytime, if they wish and move into another choice category, especially the 7 of you out there that I've lumped into the four "undecide" choice categories, based on your comments, if any of you would like to throw into the first two choices.
Posted By: MarieJ Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 10:43 PM
Tyrone, I haven’t changed my opinion, just agreed with Mr Super-Hunky that changes need not be rushed. If it is now up to a vote, I stand by my earlier post:

Originally Posted by MarieJ
I’m sure that Monica would appreciate having her beloved ABF Recitals renamed in her memory. I agree with Sam, keep the new title simple and short: ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital’.

She has been Monica K. - her Piano World username - to us throughout her 18,000+ posts, and will always be remembered here as Monica K. heart
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 10:51 PM
Tyrone, I haven’t changed my opinion, just agreed with Mr Super-Hunky that changes need not be rushed. If it is now up to a vote, I stand by my earlier post:

Oops. Sorry for misunderstanding. Would you like me to move your vote to another category, or is it ok as it is?
Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 10:56 PM
I think this is terrible that it has come down to a vote where names are publicly called out. With all due respect, Monica had a recital dedicated in her honor. I would think a simple and sincere dedication in her honor would be appropriate. Keeping the recital title as it was originally in no way diminishes or dishonors Monica's contributions.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
I think this is terrible that it has come down to a vote where names are publicly called out. With all due respect, Monica had a recital dedicated in her honor. I would think a simple and sincere dedication in her honor would be appropriate. Keeping the recital title as it was originally in no way diminishes or dishonors Monica's contributions.

I disagree. It isn't terrible at all. TX-Bluebonnet, as Sam S pointed out, this forum is by and for all of its members. Everyone should have a voice in the decision. Sorry if voting on this is upsetting you but it is the democratic thing to do to have those that have an opinion on this matter (which is not everyone on the forum) to have a voice in the decision, if they want one. We've seen what her daughter Athena has said about it and we can vote. But since you object to voting, I won't count you for or against the change of name.

I think though if you or anyone really disagrees on the voting, they should start another thread so that we can keep this thread respectful as we honor Monica's memory.
Posted By: MarieJ Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 11:13 PM
Yes please Tyrone - I vote to rename the Recitals in Monica's memory. Without her unfailing dedication, enthusiasm and active participation, the Recitals may not have survived for so long, let alone flourished - as they have. She deserves this recognition heart.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 11:15 PM
I think I am seeing your issue now. You are thinking that such a vote should be by secret ballot? Is that correct? Actually, I asked Sam S about that and he didn't think the survey respondents could be controlled.

Also, I've only assembled views of those who publicly expressed views on this matter in this thread. If you are concerned there are those who would like to vote, but would like their vote to remain secret, I guess we should think again about whether or not an anonymous poll can be done but limited only to PW members. I'm thinking not since this forum lost it's poll mechanism many years ago.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/28/19 11:17 PM
Sorry Marie! It should be right now smile

• For renaming recital (24): Sibylle, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, MarieJ, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, enw10, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie, LarryK,
  • Undecided: For waiting until later to decide on renaming (0):

Posted By: Pianoperformance Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 01:25 AM
I respect mr SH’s comments, and my vote remains the same, and as raised before, names of those involved, past and present should be mentioned.

I don’t know Monica other than from here. Reading her tribute, her memorial service and listening to people who knew her: I wonder what she would think? The way she supported her family, friends and this forum, no one was allowed to be forgotten, she took them along with her-whether they knew it or not! She never shared her lows and only asked for help when she couldn’t any more. I suspect she would like to have others to be mentioned too, she was never the center of attention, but yet, she was the one that many gravitated towards.

In some traditions, there is 1 year period before any major decisions are made...so there isn’t a rush, emotions are sensitive right now.
Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 01:40 AM
I think I am seeing your issue now. You are thinking that such a vote should be by secret ballot? Is that correct? Actually, I asked Sam S about that and he didn't think the survey respondents could be controlled.

Also, I've only assembled views of those who publicly expressed views on this matter in this thread. If you are concerned there are those who would like to vote, but would like their vote to remain secret, I guess we should think again about whether or not an anonymous poll can be done but limited only to PW members. I'm thinking not since this forum lost it's poll mechanism many years ago.

I think it's more like the silent majority (lurkers) are not going to say anything or "vote" because they might worry about coming off as being disrespectful or insensitive an/or they don't want their name put on display.

But to add to or clarify my thoughts.. I feel the ones who have been here the longest and have known Monica the longest know what's best in this situation.
Also, in my opinion, honoring Monica with a dedication and leaving the recital name the same seems like a win-win to me. A win for anyone who thinks the recital name should remain the same, and a win for anyone who thinks Monica should receive honorable recognition in the dedication.
Posted By: enw10 Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 01:48 AM
Removing my name. I haven't been around long enough to have a vote, I just fixed some punctuation wink

For renaming recital (23): Sibylle, barbaram, Tyrone Slothrop, cmb13, Morodiene, WiseBuff, dumka1, John305, tangleweeds, Tech-key, Animisha, Sam S, MarieJ, bSharp(C)yclist, jazzyprof, aTallGuyNH, Gary001, Pianoperformance, NobleHouse, johnstaf, casinitaly, Stubbie, LarryK,
Against renaming recital (5): mr_super-hunky, wouter97, Peyton, jotur, Roger Ransom
Undecided: For either a new name or just a dedication (2): Piano*Dad, Peyton
Undecided: For waiting until later to decide on renaming (0):
Undecided: For wishing we knew what Monica would have wanted (1): Handyman
Undecided: Did not come out explicitly for or against, but did acknowledged name change in a post (3): dogperson, Montuno, pathway

Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet

I think it's more like the silent majority (lurkers) are not going to say anything or "vote" because they might worry about coming off as being disrespectful or insensitive an/or they don't want their name put on display.

But to add to or clarify my thoughts.. I feel the ones who have been here the longest and have known Monica the longest know what's best in this situation.
Also, in my opinion, honoring Monica with a dedication and leaving the recital name the same seems like a win-win to me. A win for anyone who thinks the recital name should remain the same, and a win for anyone who thinks Monica should receive honorable recognition in the dedication.

Thank you for clarifying your viewpoint. All viewpoints should be respected and considered by the members here.
Posted By: PianogrlNW Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 02:13 AM
Does anyone have Monica’s daughter’s contact information or email? Maybe we should get guidance from her as to how best to honor Monica in the quarterly recitals.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Does anyone have her daughter’s contact information or email? Maybe we should get guidance from her as to how best to honor Monica in the quarterly recitals.

I understand there are members such as Ken Knapp who are on facebook with her daughter, Athena.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 03:07 AM
I'm not sure we should put Monica's daughter in that position. It could be awkward for her.
Posted By: PianogrlNW Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 03:36 AM
I'm not sure we should put Monica's daughter in that position. It could be awkward for her.

If it were about my mom, I would appreciate being consulted. Not sure why you think it is awkward. It sounds like like something my husband would say - a “guy” reaction - haha.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 05:00 AM

If it were about my mom, I would appreciate being consulted. Not sure why you think it is awkward. It sounds like like something my husband would say - a “guy” reaction - haha.

Athena was touched by the idea of calling the recitals after Monica, so we know how she feels about that. Bringing her into the discussion before a decision is made could be a bit like us saying:

"We were going to call the recitals after your mother in recognition of her contribution to the forum and the recitals. Then we started to think about all the other people who were involved, so we're having second thoughts."

I'm not saying that's how she would see it, but she might. She has just lost her mother. I'm not sure we should expect her to take an interest in this discussion, other than to give her opinion on whatever it is we decide to do -after it has been decided.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 05:08 AM
I'm not sure this type of non-scientific, public survey [with significant inherent flaws and built in biases] is what Monica would have wanted to happen. Actually, I'm positive Monica would not want her name associated with any kind of division within the group. It's actually the last thing she would have wanted.

There is a reason why the majority of people who 'don't' want to rename the recital are all seasoned, senior members who have been here a long time along with Monica for over a decade. We are all a 'quasi' extended family who have been fondly bickering back and forth with each other for nearly fifteen years [in some cases]. Over the past decade, we have all gotten to know each other fairly well and could probably speak for each others actions and desires on issues on this forum fairly accurately; even if our views differed.

It is for this reason that the majority of the senior members [who knew Monica far better than anyone else] want to leave the name of the recital alone because they know that is what Monica really would have wanted.

Monica was someone who liked to work behind the scenes to actually get things done instead of just endlessly discussing an issue to no end. She liked to be recognized for her efforts and accomplishments, [we all do!], but she never wanted to be the center of attention, [or controversy]. Several of the long time members have mentioned this and it is for a reason; .....IT'S THE TRUTH !

Here's the thing,....we all have more in common [on this issue] than not! We all have the same goal which is to honor the memory of Monica. Not really because of this reason, or that reason, but simply because we WANT to! This can easily be accomplished by adding a paragraph underneath the title of the recital in Monica's honor. There is nothing wrong with this as she had THAT much of an impact on just about everyone she met.

When it comes to changing the name of the recital, I would be for it in a heartbeat if I knew that's what she really would have wanted. I also would be equally against it if I knew she would not have wanted that. This is literally why I am against changing the name. Like many of the other senior members here, WE are the ones who truly knew her best over a period of many years, [decade]. We interacted with her on the forums. We exchanged many private messages with her over the years. I've had many personal conversations with her and exchanged many E-mails on piano and health issues. We knew her as well as the type of person she was.

I am Facebook friends with Monica and can contact her daughter if needed but I really don't want to as I'm not sure a 19 y.o teenager would accurately represent her moms wishes. They were are at very different stages of life and their decisions on things may come from from completely different view points. [Another potential flaw]

A decision based on a non-scientific, biased, public survey can not only be manipulative, it is irresponsible as the results can be completely inaccurate for so many reasons. This is NOT how it should be done [which is why ALL other type of elections/surveys are done in private]. Case in point:.. Hillary should be president [if all the polls surveys were accurate and correct. There not!]

I also must say that I am a bit perplexed as to why a few of the [much] newer members here[in the past year or so] are discounting the advice and recommendations of most of the senior members who actually knew Monica and personally interacted with her on and off the forum over the course of many years. I'm not sure I understand this so I'll ask you this: Do you want to do what YOU want to do?, or do you want to do what Monica would have wanted?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 05:54 AM

Athena was touched by the idea of calling the recitals after Monica, so we know how she feels about that. Bringing her into the discussion before a decision is made could be a bit like us saying:

"We were going to call the recitals after your mother in recognition of her contribution to the forum and the recitals. Then we started to think about all the other people who were involved, so we're having second thoughts."

Well put.

I'm not saying that's how she would see it, but she might. She has just lost her mother. I'm not sure we should expect her to take an interest in this discussion, other than to give her opinion on whatever it is we decide to do -after it has been decided.

I agree on this too.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 06:25 AM
I'm not sure this type of non-scientific, public survey [with significant inherent flaws and built in biases] is what Monica would have wanted to happen. Actually, I'm positive Monica would not want her name associated with any kind of division within the group. It's actually the last thing she would have wanted.

But this is the way most decisions traditionally are made on forums. People discuss and a consensus is reached. Or people discuss and a majority has their way. Or people discuss and a forum owner or moderator jump in and decide for everyone. But what usually does not happen is people discuss and a minority make the decision. This is a collegial group and so I think we'd all prefer option 1 or 2. The forum owner and moderators appear content to let forum members decide such matters.

There is a reason why the majority of people who 'don't' want to rename the recital are all seasoned, senior members who have been here a long time along with Monica for over a decade. We are all a 'quasi' extended family who have been fondly bickering back and forth with each other for nearly fifteen years [in some cases]. Over the past decade, we have all gotten to know each other fairly well and could probably speak for each others actions and desires on issues on this forum fairly accurately; even if our views differed.

The average forum age of supporters is 6.2 years. The average forum age of objectors is 13.0 years. 6 of the supporters have been on for more than 10 years. 4 of the objectors have been on for more than 6 years. Consequently, I don't believe that supporters on the whole are so new that they views should not count.

It is for this reason that the majority of the senior members [who knew Monica far better than anyone else] want to leave the name of the recital alone because they know that is what Monica really would have wanted.

Monica was someone who liked to work behind the scenes to actually get things done instead of just endlessly discussing an issue to no end. She liked to be recognized for her efforts and accomplishments, [we all do!], but she never wanted to be the center of attention, [or controversy]. Several of the long time members have mentioned this and it is for a reason; .....IT'S THE TRUTH !

Did George Washington want all those bridges and monuments and statues after himself? Did anyone consult George Washington? The living provide tributes to the passed ultimately for the living, to remember the dead. Sometimes the statues are built for the community, because it can hardly be said many people die with the hope there will be statues built of themselves. Those dead are gone except in the memories of the living. I'm not saying Monica's wishes don't matter. I am saying Monica is gone and anything we do now in honor of her is ultimately for those that remain to honor her memory - a memorial and monument for the living. I'm not saying anything new here. This is in fact how our world works when people die, in most places.

Here's the thing,....we all have more in common [on this issue] than not! We all have the same goal which is to honor the memory of Monica. Not really because of this reason, or that reason, but simply because we WANT to! This can easily be accomplished by adding a paragraph underneath the title of the recital in Monica's honor. There is nothing wrong with this as she had THAT much of an impact on just about everyone she met.

Of course.

When it comes to changing the name of the recital, I would be for it in a heartbeat if I knew that's what she really would have wanted. I also would be equally against it if I knew she would not have wanted that. This is literally why I am against changing the name. Like many of the other senior members here, WE are the ones who truly knew her best over a period of many years, [decade]. We interacted with her on the forums. We exchanged many private messages with her over the years. I've had many personal conversations with her and exchanged many E-mails on piano and health issues. We knew her as well as the type of person she was.

You are essentially arguing that a small group who knew her for an average of 13 years know her significantly better than a larger group who knew her for an average of 6.2 years. Perhaps this is true. But memorials are not for small groups. They are for everyone. Everyone who is active on the forum will be living with whatever tribute we decide on and not only the small group that knew her the best.

Similarly, in most countries, we give an equal vote to young people even though they cannot possibly know their country as well as those much older. Yet they will live with the results of decisions just as those who are older.

I think any argument made on the basis of exclusivity is "potentially flawed." This is all in addition to the fact that as mentioned above, monuments, memorials, and the like are for the living. The dead is beyond caring. We can only hope that are in a much better place where these sorts of decisions are irrelevant.

I am Facebook friends with Monica and can contact her daughter if needed but I really don't want to as I'm not sure a 19 y.o teenager would accurately represent her moms wishes. They were are at very different stages of life and their decisions on things may come from from completely different view points. [Another potential flaw]

When there is a final decision, I think we should check with the family and see if they concur. This is the usual and considerate thing to do.

A decision based on a non-scientific, biased, public survey can not only be manipulative, it is irresponsible as the results can be completely inaccurate for so many reasons. This is NOT how it should be done [which is why ALL other type of elections/surveys are done in private]. Case in point:.. Hillary should be president [if all the polls surveys were accurate and correct. There not!]

Yet in a collegial forum, this is exactly how most decisions are made. non-scientifically based on people speaking up versus staying silent. The tally simply is an aggregation of the views on this thread, which is the usual way decisions are made. Including the original decisions about "Beginner and Beyond", etc.

I also must say that I am a bit perplexed as to why a few of the [much] newer members here[in the past year or so] are discounting the advice and recommendations of most of the senior members who actually knew Monica and personally interacted with her on and off the forum over the course of many years. I'm not sure I understand this so I'll ask you this: Do you want to do what YOU want to do?, or do you want to do what Monica would have wanted?

Because ultimately, we all interpret and decide for ourselves what a good memorial is to Monica. You have chosen to do it through a certain prism. However not everyone might subscribe to your particular viewpoint on this matter. That's why we have these collegial discussions. Also, you've mentioned tenure several times. While tenure matters in life for certain things, such as Monica's former profession, one could argue that on a forum, there are more important things to the life, liveliness, and environment of a forum than tenure.
Posted By: dogperson Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 08:30 AM
I have avoided a public voicing on this issue as I did not personally interact with Monica nor was involved in the development and maintenance of the ABF recital, but I find this discussion is no longer ‘collegial’ but disturbingly divisive and personal. I did not know Monica but I know enough about her to know she would be horrified.

We do all vote on this through our own prisms, so here is mine: this discussion should stop and a decision should be quietly made through group PM by those that actually were involved in the development/maintenance of the recital and/or those that actually interacted with Monica. This does not need to be a democratic vote of all votes being equal. In fact, all democratic governments do not have exactly a one man, one vote structure. Contact Monica's daughter, or not, but let’s stop this divisive conversation. It has crossed a boundary which should not happen here.

Enough said. I will not participate further in this thread.
Posted By: Sam S Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 10:02 AM
This discussion is deteriorating, just like most internet discussions that go on too long. To argue over who knew Monica better is not helping the discussion and, considering the topic, unseemly.

I made the changes to the recital page that I think are appropriate - go look at recitals.pianoworld.com if you want to see what I decided.

Sam
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 10:46 AM
Tyrone : We can go back and forth and micro-nitpick each other to the granular level on this issue to death because that is what Monica would have wanted us to do right?

Your surveys are ridiculously flawed.

1.) They only include members who have read and kept up with this particular post. Many members don't follow every post every day [and their viewpoints may vary from the survey results but won't be reflected because they didn't participate in it] It's like taking a survey in a mall on a Tuesday morning and reporting the results as accurate. [Even though the only people surveyed were retirees!] It won't reflect the accurate opinion of younger people who may have a different response at all. You can 'influence' surveys and polls and their results to reflect any outcome you want depending upon the way the survey was conducted and administered.

2.) They are subject to peer pressure and other factors that could persuade and influence their decision since the answers are public. [Again, the Hillary versus Trump surveys]. Many people have said in public that they would vote for Hillary as they didn't want to be excoriated by their peers. But obviously, not all were telling the truth [publicly] as blue states [in the polls] ended up voting red.

3.) They don't have any form of control group to compare results against. [Double blind/repeatable results]

You say 'other' sites do surveys this way. Well that doesn't make them accurate. It means the sites you refer too are conducting completely bogus surveys which are probably published to persuade and influence other peoples opinions!

In addition, your posted statistics are completely erroneous as they don't account for a 'weighted value' which is imperative. Your statistics assume someone who has been on the forum for a few years but didn't really know Monica has the same understanding and relationship with her as someone who has interacted with her closely for more than a decade. The 'weighted value' of these people is significantly different. In springboard diving, a forward 2 1/2 somersault has a higher degree of difficulty than a front dive and thus is worth much more in terms of its weighted value and final numerical result when the weighted value is applied.

In my opinion, someone who has had a close personal relationship with someone for nearly 14 years would probably know and understand that person much better than someone who just joined the forum and has no relationship with the other person. The 'weighted value' is simply not the same.

You make the argument that "memorials are for the living". Well, I guess you're right about that. But what if the recently deceased person did not want to be memorialized? Should we disrespect their wishes? or should we do whatever we want anyway? [Personally, I'd do everything possible to respect and honor their wishes].

Anyway, rather than continue to dissect each others arguments and responses, and out of respect to Monica [ I'm positive that she would never have wanted this discussion to turn into a divisive argument amongst group members] I'm going to remove myself from participating in this discussion any further. I'm doing this because I just checked my magic eight ball and it said "Pissing contest ahead"! So I'm going to heed its warnings. This is not the thread to make sport out of debating each other.

I've stated my opinions as clearly as I can so whatever happens, happens I guess. I don't want to be the "winner" in this debate because "winning" is not my goal here. Publicly displaying my opinion, my relationship with Monica and the historical facts of the recital are and I've done that. So that's it.
Posted By: Roger Ransom Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 11:12 AM

voting?
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 11:41 AM
I made the changes to the recital page that I think are appropriate - go look at recitals.pianoworld.com if you want to see what I decided.

I think this is lovely and walks the line between the views discussed. I agree this works both for a title as well as for a dedication.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 11:46 AM
Tyrone : We can go back and forth and micro-nitpick each other to the granular level on this issue to death because that is what Monica would have wanted us to do right?

Dogperson and Sam S are right. We can continue to be super collegial and discuss, but at some point, the mere existence of the discussion itself becomes unseemly. I did try to move the discussion out of this thread earlier, but it didn't want to budge, so I guess I will just have to stop participating. If someone disagrees with Sam's suggestion, I will start a new thread for polite discussion.

Monica was a lovely person and I feel Sam's new suggested wording does honor to her memory without forgetting any history or those who came before.
Posted By: dogperson Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 11:52 AM

Dogperson and Sam S are right. We can continue to be super collegial and discuss, but at some point, the mere existence of the discussion itself becomes unseemly. I did try to move the discussion out of this thread earlier, but it didn't want to budge, so I guess I will just have to stop participating. If someone disagrees with Sam's suggestion, I will start a new thread for polite discussion.

Monica was a lovely person and I feel Sam's new suggested wording does honor to her memory without forgetting any history or those who came before.

Please please DO NOT start a new thread to discuss. Enough has been said and the conversation has become disgusting; if will not remain polite if started over. Once is more than enough.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by dogperson
if will not remain polite if started over. Once is more than enough.

Well, this conversation has remained polite, at least I've been polite and I cannot see where mr_super-hunky has been impolite. He appears to have also been polite at all times. But I agree this has gone on too long. I hope Sam has had the last word on this topic.
Posted By: cmb13 Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 11:59 AM
Agree. The thread should close or we should move on to discussing our hall memories of Monica.
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 01:17 PM

Sam, that's perfect. Thank you.
Posted By: Handyman Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 01:21 PM
Rename the Recitals after Monica or not - I'm fine either way (and I suspect this might be the silent majority consensus here) - I have no strong, unbending preference one way or the other - whatever is decided, either by vote or authoritarian edict...

But, please don't shut down the discussion - at least not yet - it was just getting interesting - it was starting to get an "edge" to it and beginning to generate some compelling "heat" - which is exactly what this Forum has been lacking for quite some time now - an interesting topic with a healthy dose of contention - a "breath of fresh air" amongst so many constantly repeated and tedious topics that are recycled continuously driving us to distraction and complete boredom...

So, don't be timid - carry on!
Posted By: gingko2 Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 01:36 PM
Lovely dedication, Sam.

I'd love to see more memories of Monica here.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 03:23 PM

But this is the way most decisions traditionally are made on forums. People discuss and a consensus is reached. Or people discuss and a majority has their way. Or people discuss and a forum owner or moderator jump in and decide for everyone. But what usually does not happen is people discuss and a minority make the decision. This is a collegial group and so I think we'd all prefer option 1 or 2. The forum owner and moderators appear content to let forum members decide such matters.

The average forum age of supporters is 6.2 years. The average forum age of objectors is 13.0 years. 6 of the supporters have been on for more than 10 years. 4 of the objectors have been on for more than 6 years. Consequently, I don't believe that supporters on the whole are so new that they views should not count.

Did George Washington want all those bridges and monuments and statues after himself? Did anyone consult George Washington? The living provide tributes to the passed ultimately for the living, to remember the dead. Sometimes the statues are built for the community, because it can hardly be said many people die with the hope there will be statues built of themselves. Those dead are gone except in the memories of the living. I'm not saying Monica's wishes don't matter. I am saying Monica is gone and anything we do now in honor of her is ultimately for those that remain to honor her memory - a memorial and monument for the living. I'm not saying anything new here. This is in fact how our world works when people die, in most places.

Of course.

You are essentially arguing that a small group who knew her for an average of 13 years know her significantly better than a larger group who knew her for an average of 6.2 years. Perhaps this is true. But memorials are not for small groups. They are for everyone. Everyone who is active on the forum will be living with whatever tribute we decide on and not only the small group that knew her the best.

Similarly, in most countries, we give an equal vote to young people even though they cannot possibly know their country as well as those much older. Yet they will live with the results of decisions just as those who are older.

I think any argument made on the basis of exclusivity is "potentially flawed." This is all in addition to the fact that as mentioned above, monuments, memorials, and the like are for the living. The dead is beyond caring. We can only hope that are in a much better place where these sorts of decisions are irrelevant.

When there is a final decision, I think we should check with the family and see if they concur. This is the usual and considerate thing to do.

Yet in a collegial forum, this is exactly how most decisions are made. non-scientifically based on people speaking up versus staying silent. The tally simply is an aggregation of the views on this thread, which is the usual way decisions are made. Including the original decisions about "Beginner and Beyond", etc.

Because ultimately, we all interpret and decide for ourselves what a good memorial is to Monica. You have chosen to do it through a certain prism. However not everyone might subscribe to your particular viewpoint on this matter. That's why we have these collegial discussions. Also, you've mentioned tenure several times. While tenure matters in life for certain things, such as Monica's former profession, one could argue that on a forum, there are more important things to the life, liveliness, and environment of a forum than tenure.

Well stated Tyrone!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Well stated Tyrone!

Thanks for the support, but I think it would be good to drop this. I think Sam has done an admirable job of threading the needle on this issue this morning.

Well done to Sam!
Posted By: casinitaly Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 04:10 PM
Excellent decision Sam.
Posted By: jotur Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 04:42 PM
Sam - thank you.
Posted By: Animisha Re: Monica.. - 09/29/19 05:02 PM
Yes, well stated Tyrone, and thank you Sam!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums