Piano World Home Page

Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019

Posted By: AB Forum Recital

Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:12 AM

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 55th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital!

This recital is dedicated to our long-time recital moderator, Monica K! She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, was instrumental in getting the recitals started, and served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of those recitals, as well as recital 54 and this one. We owe Monica a lot for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for some many years.

Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room for Recital 55

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 55 zip1
Recital 55 zip2
Recital 55 zip3
Recital 55 zip4
Recital 55 zip5
Recital 55 zip6
Recital 55 zip7

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and spearheading the Order of the Red Dot; CarlosCC for continuing to maintain the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!!

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:14 AM

Performer's name:Pianogrlnw (Ellen)
Experience:I lost track
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Walk
Composer:Einaudi
Duration:03:26
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Walk is from the Einaudi album In A Time Lapse. I think it was originally composed for piano and strings but I found the sheet music for solo piano online. The piece makes me think of walking in a forest and scuffing through fallen leaves. This piece is dedicated to you, Monica. I hope you enjoy it.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:15 AM

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:a bunch
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:For Monica
Composer:original
Duration:03:08
Source of music:original
Instrument used:Young Chang grand
Additional info:My plans were to put up my Philip Glass Metamorphosis 2 that's been ready to go for months and dedicate it to Monica. But my wife heard me fooling around with this new tune and said I should reconsider my choice and write this one for Monica. Monica has always been such a supporter of my originals that it does seem more appropriate for this recital to put this piece up rather than the Glass. So anyway, here it be. I was going to do my usual YouTube vid but my camera has decided to no longer upload to my computer.

Monica, I wish my new tune was better because you only deserve the best, but its the best I can do. Thank you for every thing you have done for all of us here at the forum. Without you and Super Hunky this recital would never have been and without the recital I doubt seriously I would have learned and played half the works Ive done these past years. You are a real sweetheart and I will miss you here terribly if you leave us.

-Peyton

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:16 AM

Performer's name:mel_lem (Melanie)
Experience:12 years as a child. Restarted since December 2016.
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/mel_lem22/tracks
Title of piece:Tico-Tico no fuba
Composer:Zequinha de Abreu
Duration:02:14
Source of music:Sheet music, memorized.
Instrument used:Yamaha P-45
Recording method:Live audio recorded through line-in into Garageband running on iPad.
Additional info:I have taken a long hiatus from Piano World Forum. The last time I submitted was for Recital 51 last August. I am glad to be finally back and playing again. I started this piece after the Spanish/Latin American themed recital and it has taken almost 2 years for me to be able to play it without major slips, practicing it on and off. I want to dedicate this piece to Monica, although it is not by Einaudi, it is the best piece I can play at this time, and I think you deserve the best effort from us for all you have contributed to our forum. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:16 AM

Performer's name:facdo
Experience:3 years of lessons as a kid, but I stopped playing. Now that I resumed playing as an adult I've been practicing for about 18 months.
Video link:https://youtu.be/G01dpeDqNG0
Title of piece:Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:14
Source of music:Sheet music, Henle edition.
Instrument used:Kawai K200 upright piano
Recording method:The recording was made using a pair of condenser microphones, AKG P170, placed above the top lid of the piano.
Additional info:I would like to dedicate my performance to Monica K. Even though I don't really know her I really appreciate her contribution for making these recitals. It is the 3rd one that I participate and it is a real pleasure to listen to all the recordings, from people all around the world. So, thank you Monica! I am going to learn an Einaudi piece in homage to you smile
About this piece, I was really excited because it was the first Chopin piece that my teacher assigned me, so it felt like a step up in my piano journey. I've been working on my interpretation for a couple of weeks, and now I was finally pleased with the result.
I have to say that I did digitally edited this audio, against the live recital spirit, because an ambulance siren ruined the end of my performance (only the last 4 chords). So, I did paste the audio from a different take to the end. I had other clean takes, but after listening to all this was the one I liked the most, except for the ending background noise, so I just edited it.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:17 AM

Performer's name:Ted Jones
Experience:65 years
Title of piece:Medley (1967)
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:05:30
Source of music:Original compositions
Instrument used:Weinbach, 5'10"
Recording method:Can't remember, my father's old reel tape recorder I think.
Additional info:You liked my February submission of old recordings, Monica, so I found a few more which are even older. This is how the teenage Ted often played. In order, the pieces are:

Pretty Barbara
The Cigar Tin
Uncle Lionel's Stomp
Dad's Blues

They were written out but they might contain a small amount of improvisation.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:18 AM

Performer's name:snowfox
Experience:1 year and 1 month
Title of piece:Prelude in D minor - BWV 940
Composer:Bach
Duration:00:53
Instrument used:Yamaha P45B

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:18 AM

Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, self-directed learner since December 2011
Title of piece:Tomorrow's Song
Composer:Olafur Arnalds
Duration:02:57
Source of music:Sheet music from composer's web site
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Icelandic instrumentalist and composer Olafur Arnalds released this solo piano composition in 2011, as part of his studio album 'Living Room Songs'. The sheet music is available for downloading free of charge from his web site.

This lovely piece is very special to me, because I first heard it in May 2015, when Monica submitted her lovely rendition of it to Recital 38, my very first Recital. I was captivated, but quickly discovered the hidden traps of this very simple-looking score and set it aside. Until now.

'Tomorrow's Song' is dedicated to you with my love and gratitude, Monica. The love of Einaudi's music which we share, your sparkling Recital performances, and your kind and thoughtful comments have delighted and inspired me since I first discovered Piano World. Your choices will continue to motivate and challenge me at the piano for all of my todays and tomorrows.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:19 AM

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:>7
Title of piece:Bourrree from Water Music
Composer:Handel, George Frideric
Duration:01:22
Source of music:sheet music, mostly played from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:This piece of Handel is part of his Water Music Suite in F major. Its first performance was on 17 july 1717, played by 50 musicians on a barge that drifted upstream along with the king's boat. I'm playing here a transcription for piano by R.Mueller-Hartmann.
The Bourree is a french dance in 4/4 measure with 1-beat upbeat and usually a long-short-short (dactylic) meter. In this piece this typical meter is more prominent in the 2nd part.
The main reason for me to play this was to solve the blocky-ness that I almost naturally get when playing a highly chord-based piece like this arrangement. It triggered some serious work on freeing up my elbows and wrists. Balancing this to get the top voice out and yet to keep it singing and phrased correctly was also very useful. I never listened to recordings of this, I just picked what I think a suitable speed.
I was very tight on time when my teacher declared we were done with it (as in 'good enough for now'). So I did just two recordings of it, about a week afterwards, and this is the 2nd one.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:20 AM

Performer's name:Jerzyk19
Experience:3 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqtSMuvqhw
Title of piece:La Vie En Roses
Composer:Edith Piaf & Marguerite Monnot
Duration:03:24
Source of music:Music Sheets
Instrument used:Roland LX17
Recording method:Audio file from Piano
Additional info:I always loved this melody. I hope that you will like arraignment.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:20 AM

Performer's name:Jazztpt
Experience:40+
Title of piece:Zero
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:03:10
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507 digital
Recording method:Direct to Piano then Audacity to convert to MP3
Additional info:I am no longer a regular on the recitals but I particularly wanted to take part in this recital dedicated to Monica.
As I haven't anything prepared I would like to present something I recorded a little while ago.
I wrote Zero a couple of years ago, this performance is the tune with some variations/improvisations.
Thanks for listening.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:21 AM

Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5
Title of piece:Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen
Composer:Schumann
Duration:01:44
Source of music:Henle sheet music
Instrument used:Casio AP-470
Recording method:Built in recorder to USB memory stick
Additional info:I think this is the best recording I'm going to get at my current skill level. I feel I capture my intent. I did my best to do something worthy for this recital and Monica.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:21 AM

Performer's name:MeganR
Experience:4
Title of piece:BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor
Composer:JS Bach
Duration:00:52
Source of music:Sheet music, memorized
Instrument used:Everett spinet circa 1955
Recording method:Zoom H4N
Additional info:For Monica

I submitted this little prelude to the Bach recital a few months ago when it was still in a baby stage. I could play it, but it was slow and not really musical. The process of getting it to a better place was both fun and frustrating. A few weeks ago, when I didn't think I was getting any improvement at all, my teacher advised me to put down the metronome and have fun with the piece. I played it slow. I played it way too fast and caused the worst train wrecks. I played it really soft. I pounded it out and forte did mean significant mistakes but was amusing to play. All along the way I was recording it. Then one morning last week, I decided to just play it the "right" way and lo and behold something came out that I thought was pretty OK even if not perfectly so. And since I was recording everything, I kept it. I'll probably keep playing it for now - since it's so short, it'll fit easily into my daily routine. Also, I love Bach.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:22 AM

Performer's name:Moo smile
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLrpwVVYe9A
Title of piece:Impromptu opus 90 no 3
Composer:Schubert
Duration:07:16

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:22 AM

Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:60+ years
Title of piece:Three Nocturnes (1919)
Composer:Erik Satie
Duration:08:35
Source of music:Sheet Music (Salabert)
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Recording method:TASCAM 400
Additional info:The total set of 6 Nocturnes is Satie's last set for solo piano, apart from a small minuet. He dedicated each one to a person who had espoused his music in the past. Numbers 1 and 2 were dedicated to Madame Marcelle Meyer and Andre Salomon, respectively, both concert pianists who had programmed his pieces in recitals. Number 3 was dedicated to Madame Valentine Hugo, a ballerina who had major roles in his ballets "Parade" and "Socrate". On 24 Aug, 1919, he wrote to Mme Hugo: "I am coming to the end of my Third Nocturne. I am dedicating it to you. The three of them are not at all bad. The First serves as a prelude; the Second is shorter and very tender - very nocturnal; the Third. yours, is a more rapid and dramatic nocturne, a little longer than the first. Between the three of them they form a whole with which I am very pleased - though the First is least good."

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:23 AM

Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:in and out... around 13 years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/KVaAnnakv4I
Title of piece:Daniel
Composer:Elton John
Duration:04:39
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP7 and Pianoteq 5
Recording method:Pianoteq, saved to wave, open with audacity and saved to mp3. The video is record with Panasonic V770K
Additional info:A little bit too slow for my taste because I had to slow the tempo for an acceptable recording.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:25 AM

Performer's name:Claudemir Medeiros
Experience:2 years and 7 months.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJRvMSH4Rpk
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqwWYKElq9qNRtVPHpwsTSQ
Title of piece:Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:04:26
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-645
Recording method:Digital to PC

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:25 AM

Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:A few years
Title of piece:Who Is He?
Composer:Benjamin R. Hanby
Duration:01:15
Source of music:"Hymns" edited by Paul Beckwith, Inter-Varsity Press, first printing 1947.
Recording method:Yamaha GC1 Grand piano. Recorded using Zoom H2. (Audacity)
Additional info:This is a hymn called "Who is He in yonder stall?" from a collection of hymns that my teacher has me playing. She uses it to improve my sight reading, pedaling, and interval recognition in chords.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:26 AM

Performer's name:zsolpyW
Experience:12 years as youth
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7LF8ySX4Nw
Title of piece:Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3
Composer:Siergiej Rachmaninov
Duration:04:19
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Legnica 116
Recording method:Lumix LX-10, Zoom H2n
Additional info:That pice is played on piano, on which I was leaning from my childhood.

The brand of the instruments is Legnica. Very popular cheap piano made in Poland in the pre-war German factory Ed Seiler Legnitz until 1998.

Those pianos were not equal to leading brand instruments like Yamaha but this did not prevent great Polish masters like Krystian Zimerman and Janusz Olejniczak develop their talent. Yes, almost every pianist in Poland during communism was starting on those instrument as better were not really available.

Sadly, my progress in this field was not so good but the piano was pretty cool anyway smile

It should point out that for a small instrument it had quite strong bass!

The prelude - I think that you do not have to introduce.

Enjoy listening.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:26 AM

Performer's name:WTM - Will Mason
Experience:1 year & 2 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37tklp5yeH4
Title of piece:Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899
Composer:Schubert
Duration:06:42
Source of music:Henle Urtext - Schubert, Impromptus, Moments musicaux HN 138
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP 685
Recording method:Direct from my piano, CFX Grand default piano. Video recorded using a Sony AX53
Additional info:Such a beautiful piece. I fell in love with Horowitz's performance about 5 months ago and have listened to it about 3 times a day since. This is my attempt to emulate his beautiful rendition, however I fear I have a long way to go smile

Unfortunately there are a few errors in the recording, but I was generally happy with it.

Very much open to all feedback. Thank you.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:27 AM

Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and on as an adult; resumed regular lessons 4 years ago
Title of piece:Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement
Composer:Joseph Haydn
Duration:03:23
Source of music:Sheet music (a Ukrainian edition downloaded from Petrucci)
Instrument used:A grand piano in a local church (don't remember the make)
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:This piece is a bit of a break-through for me. Even as a child, classical sonatas posed the biggest challenge to me; my technique just wasn't sufficient to play them in an appropriate tempo. I think I even played the same Haydn sonata when I was 15 but didn't fully master it. I'm not saying I've mastered it now (far from that, and the tempo should be presto :)); however, I feel like I've made big progress and feel less of a mental block about this genre, which I actually love. This recording still has problems, as you'll hear (and I had limited time to record on this grand piano, so I couldn't keep trying for a mistake-free performance), but it has some good moments, too, I think. It's a lovely piece, and I'm learning the remaining 2 movements now. Monica, I hope you'll enjoy it, even if it's not Einaudi smile

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:27 AM

Performer's name:Peter Hontaru
Experience:1
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92_jiShhN5w
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/user/YosPepy/featured
Title of piece:Waltz in a minor
Duration:02:49
Source of music:Henle book, but this was played from memory in all stages of the video (home, practice room, recital)
Instrument used:Yamaha P115
Hoffman Grand
Steinway Model D
Recording method:Phone
Additional info:I really enjoyed this piece and it became part of a "journey" video from my bedroom to a piano practice room and then a live recital in Cambridge (end of video)

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:28 AM

Performer's name:ralph L.
Experience:2.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/4eWSDXIxbYc
Title of piece:Nostalgy
Composer:Richard Clayderman
Duration:02:06
Source of music:slightly modified from original, created backing track using keyboard.
Instrument used:Roland FP30 + Yamaha E353 (for backing track)

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:28 AM

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; four years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Emily
Composer:Johnny Mandel and Johnny Mercer
Duration:03:43
Source of music:Lead sheet.
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavier
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:Emily was written in 1964 by Johnny Mandel and Johnny Mercer, for the movie The Americanization of Emily. It has been popular in the jazz world from the beginning, with great recordings by musicians like Bill Evans and Paul Desmond. I am playing from a lead sheet, unaccompanied.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:29 AM

Performer's name:Peterws
Experience:More than I've got left . . . .
Video link:https://youtu.be/mv-XGJHeYA0
Title of piece:Daydreams
Composer:Me
Duration:05:52
Source of music:Rambling thoughts from an old guy
Instrument used:Roland FP50 and Pianoteq.
Additional info:Daydreaming in Ab. Or G#. It's both fun and easy playing on the black notes, in case you were unaware!
Music on the hoof. Little form, nebulous, peripheral. Sounds like me. Rambles on for too long. Sounds like her. And boy! Does she snore! Sounds like Staffie in attack mode; woke me up last night so I had a cup of tea, went back to bed when she'd settled down.
She woke me half an hour later. Said it was me snoring, so I had to make her a cup of . . .
A lot of fun, though. Make of it what you will!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:29 AM

Performer's name:Snejana
Experience:~5 years. Self-taught with occasional feedbacks from other piano players and/or teachers
Title of piece:Sad Story of the Vagabond
Composer:Medley of Bela Bartok and Dmitri Kabalevsky
Duration:02:24
Source of music:The Young Pianist's Library: From Bach to Bartok, Book 2; Op.39 24 Pieces for Children
Instrument used:Casio PX-700 Digital Piano
Recording method:GarageBand on Mac
Additional info:Last time I did a medley from three different composers, and it went pretty well. Here is me trying to meddle another two pieces. And of course, I have my own imaginative story to go along with it. The central character is a vagabond (a homeless person) and story is a day of their lives. They wake up from being too cold and hungry, and, to warm up they start wandering in the streets searching for a warmer shelter. The energy is very low - I tried capturing that with my dynamics on each bar (starting higher on the first note and gradually lowering until the start in the next bar). You can feel sorrow all throughout the melody even as Bartok cleverly re-arranges the melody in the second part. There doesn't seem to be a happy ending here. As the first part - Song of the Vagabond - finishes on A minor chord, I transitioned it to E minor for the piece I am stitching it with - A Sad Story by Kabalevsky. I took me a very long time to find the piece I wanted to combine it with, and this is what I felt brings the piece to resolution. Here, Kabalevsky is suggesting pianissimo dynamics which is quite challenging to play to addition to timelessness of the piece. Each bar is exerts an emotional pull and inevitably drags you into a sadder place. Vagabond continues his journey through the night city where no one notices them. No one can see their tears as they drop run down their face and freezes before dropping on their clothes. The wanderer then takes a turn into a dark valley and disappears into the blackness. No, there is no happy ending.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:30 AM

Performer's name:jotur - Cathy Turner
Experience:2 years of lessons in my early teens, playing again since 1995, playing for seniors since around 2009
Title of piece:Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose
Composer:Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown
Duration:02:20
Source of music:Sheet music, but I don't remember where I got it.
Instrument used:Casio PX-160
Recording method:keyboard to audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Well, Monica - here you go smile I remember my very first submission, when you, thank you, agreed with me that more mistakes but more music was the right choice. Things haven't changed a bit laugh

I picked up a second, currently, assisted living place, 1st and 3rd Sunday mornings. Ugh. Ever since I slowed down practicing because I was working a lot, ugh. I haven't come up to speed again yet. Maybe I never will smirk It's pretty discouraging.

Then again, maybe it's just that old "I played it better at home" thing going on. Dunno. But I keep plowing on!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:30 AM

Performer's name:Jazzyprof
Experience:Quite a few years now.
Title of piece:Spirit Dreams
Composer:Jazzyprof
Duration:02:05
Source of music:My original composition.
Instrument used:Steinway B
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:This is a piece I wrote a few years ago. I dedicate this performance to Monica. I hope you like it, Monica!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:31 AM

Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:3.75 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/6-Hvnb5iPm8
Title of piece:I Giorni
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:06:17
Source of music:I changed my mind. I did another recording of I Giorni. We need more Einaudi smile
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Recording method:Same as usual. Audio out from the AvantGrand N2 into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam, producing an MP4 file. The audio file is then extracted using ffmpeg and noise removed using Audacity. Last step is to merge the audio back into the original video using ffmpeg. Also, no Pianoteq blend this time. Just the N2.
Additional info:Unfortunately, I have yet to learn a new Einaudi piece. I went ahead a did another recording of I Giorni, which I'll dedicate to Monica. Thank you for all that you have done and contributed to PianoWorld!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:32 AM

Performer's name:Animisha
Experience:three years of happily hammering away; 1,5 year since starting over with a video teacher.
Video link:https://youtu.be/AOWhBXL1rXc
Title of piece:Angelfish
Composer:Anne Crosby Gaudet
Duration:00:56
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:For Monica. It is not Einaudi but the nearest that I can get. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:32 AM

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:About 15 years, self-taught
Video link:https://youtu.be/W8zov7IpZlY
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Ascent
Duration:06:30
Source of music:Seven Days Walking sheet music collection
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded with Zoom H5, amplified in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:This is one of the easier--yet also prettiest--pieces from Einaudi's latest project, "Seven Days Walking." It's not as polished as I prefer to have my recital pieces to be (as you can tell from the creative page turning in the YouTube video, I don't have it memorized yet), but I did not want to miss this recital, the one that is likely to be my last.

And it is because this is probably my last recital that this piece seems especially appropriate. First, because it is by Einaudi, who remains my all-time favorite musician and whose music has meant so much to me, and second, because an ascent seems the perfect metaphor for this adventure of living and dying that I am currently going through. I do not know--nobody knows--what I will see when I finally reach the top of my climb. I do know that it has been a journey full of challenges and rewards, and music has made my journey ever so beautiful and meaningful. I thank you all for listening to my recordings all these years and for being my friends on this journey.

Lunch was one carton of Jevity 1.5 nutritional meal replacement.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:33 AM

Performer's name:tjbron
Experience:14 yrs as youth, a few years as an adult after a lengthy break. Started lessons anew 8 months ago.
Title of piece:Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major
Composer:Scriabin
Duration:01:59
Source of music:G. Henle Verlag, Urtext
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB, 1927
Recording method:Digital camcorder (Canon M40) on manual mic level. Audacity to trim silence and convert to MP3.
Additional info:At the beginning of the year, I decided to take lessons again after more than 20 years without. Having to make progress on a weekly basis gives me anxiety, but it also helps me put practicing at a higher priority, and I am finally going somewhere with my music again.
My new teacher suggested these preludes to me. I had never heard them before, but for some reason I feel a real connection with them. I love that they are short and sweet, and I find something unique in Scriabin's interweaving melodies and interesting timing. I hope to some day learn all twenty four.
(Peanut butter and banana on whole wheat.)

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:33 AM

Performer's name:Mosotti
Experience:1 year, 10 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/FuaEY75uw_Q
Title of piece:Mia & Sebastian's Theme
Composer:Justin Hurwitz (arr. Jacob's Piano)
Duration:02:01
Source of music:Youtube - Jacob's Piano channel
Instrument used:Kawai MP11SE
Recording method:Recorded to USB, amplified in Audacity
Additional info:Since I didn't have much time these months, I re-recorded one of my first pieces, from the movie La La Land, which has some really fantastic music (which I haven't seen to these day lol).

As requested by multiple people, I managed to get a big tripod and recorded from a less awkward angle smile

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:34 AM

Performer's name:Balezin Dmitry
Experience:2 years and a half
Video link:https://youtu.be/fhewDnzVP0E
Title of piece:He's a pirate
Composer:Hans Zimmer
Duration:02:09
Source of music:Sheet music from internet
Instrument used:CASIO CDP-130
Recording method:Line in to a recorder...than trimmed in WavePad
Additional info:Well, I must really THANK in a big way Monica for all the efforts she's put into making these recitals happen.
I take so much motivation to get my pieces ready in time for every recital.

As always, I've just barely able to play it and it takes me like 10 attempts to make a video. That "Red dot" makes me crazy and what seems like a tiny glitch in playing (not recording) turn into a monster while I try to reccord.

Tempo should be a bit faster. But I'll get there. Some mistakes are also there, but this is the best I can do right now.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:35 AM

Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/OuQJ3lMs0wI
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82)
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:02:47
Source of music:Henle edition sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai Novus NV10 with Pianist Mode "Classic"
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:I've been working on a number of pieces from Schumann's Forestscenes (Opus 82), so here's another one, the very up-beat "Herberge" (Wayside Inn).
Hope you enjoy it!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:35 AM

Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Video link:https://youtu.be/yjNduF85wWE
Title of piece:Maple Leaf Rag
Composer:Scott Joplin
Duration:03:12
Instrument used:Cunningham Parlour Grand
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:Since this recital is dedicated to Monica K., I have just spent some time browsing and listening to some of the 54 online recital submissions from Monica K. and I can't tell you just how inspiring I find that collection of music. It is dramatic and moving and there's a clear sense of style and personality. It is quite an achievement to have done all that so well.

I humbly offer my rendition of Maple Leaf Rag, flubs and all, in the hopes it might provide us a tiny bit of cheer and perhaps a tapping foot or two.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:36 AM

Performer's name:Ido
Experience:2 years, 8 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noC7WW0DxsA
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/ido-moshe
Title of piece:Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437
Composer:George Frideric Handel
Duration:03:18
Instrument used:Yamaha P515 - just got it. First recording on this instrument, woohoo!
Recording method:digital to PC
Additional info:This is a beautiful piece and I highly recommend learning it.

Things to look for in the piece:
- the two voices in the right hand
- imitation
- syncopation
- violin-like staccato lines
- the change from minor to major tonality

The audio is not a live recording, the video is. I recommend listening to the audio.

Hope you enjoy!
Thanks for listening

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:37 AM

Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Video link:https://youtu.be/C3ysYMZS7gw
Title of piece:Salute
Composer:Oscar Peterson
Duration:03:30
Source of music:dire_tonic
Instrument used:YAMAHA UX-1
Recording method:3 mics, Cubase
Additional info:The piece that this recording hopefully resembles and written by Oscar is, Salute to Bach. As I was preparing it I thought of it as Salute to Monica and wanted to participate in this recital. I named the video for the masses, though there rarely are any.

It is not really where I would like it to be and see there are still quite a few issues to be worked out. To be honest I am happy just to be able to get a recording of it as it was in terrible shape when I first thought of it.

I initially worked on this with dire_tonic who wrote the score. Scoring Peterson is a moving target depending of version you listen to. I am grateful to dire_tonic and still don't really get how you do it smile. My final arrangement takes only moderate liberties from the score and not that much. Nonetheless my production of it is light years away from what Peterson does and I know that. The 3rd part is Bach Blues which is a real charm. Ah ... not included.

I always loved the sound and the cool rhythms.

I don't know what Peterson was thinking when he wrote this dedication. It's a mystery. My version is a dedication to a distant friend that has always been helpful to me and I know for many others. Thank you, Monica.

I have heard it said that nothing in the Forrest ever dies, really. It just manifests again as something anew for the proliferation and betterment of the Forrest. I like to think of all of life this way.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:37 AM

Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:More than 50 years
Title of piece:Habanera
Composer:Ernesto Halffter
Duration:03:38
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1 hybrid piano
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:Like so many other participants I would like to pay tribute to Monica for everything she has contributed with at this website. Unfortunately time didn't permit me to study and record a piece by one of Monica's favorite composers, but I hope that the small piece in Spanish style also may bring some joy to her and other listeners.
Ernesto Halffter is probably unknown to most of you, but he wrote some very interesting music. The habanera is short and not too demanding technically.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:38 AM

Performer's name:Qwerty53
Experience:2.3 years (not counting some lessons in the previous century)
Title of piece:Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6)
Composer:Brubeck
Duration:01:40
Source of music:Dave Brubeck, Nocturnes (published 1987)
Instrument used:Yamaha YUS-5 upright
Recording method:Zoom H4N, Audacity to remove silences
Additional info:Dave Brubeck (1920-2012) studied composition with Darius Milhaud, led one of the first racially integrated bands during WWII, and had a long career as pianist and composer. "Softly, William, Softly" was published in a series of 24 Nocturnes in 1997. I thank PianoGrlNW for suggesting Brubeck's Nocturnes when I was looking for less-known pieces that an early intermediate player could learn.

The composer said: "This book of Nocturnes is directed toward the music teachers who do not teach Jazz, and to their students who are not yet committed to learn Jazz improvisation.... Pensive in mood, [they] are complete in themselves, and I hope they will serve as a bridge for the classical pianist to understand the music that is often the foundation for my jazz performances."

A much-elaborated version of this piece appears on the 1966 Dave Brubeck Quartet album "Time In."

I'm happy to dedicate my performance to MonicaK, with gratitude for creating the recital series. I appreciate this opportunity to share music, and responses to music, and the motivation it provides to improve my performances. The "catalog" of past recital pieces is a rich trove of new works to learn. Thank you, MonicaK!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:38 AM

Performer's name:timmyab
Experience:25+ years
Title of piece:Sinfonia no 11
Composer:JS Bach
Duration:02:12
Source of music:Henle - JS Bach inventions and sinfonias
Instrument used:Yamaha YDP S52
Recording method:Headphone jack to PC - Audacity
Additional info:For such a relatively simple piece I had some trouble memorizing this. In fact I still struggle without the music at hand. Probably my age smile Thanks for listening and any comments always appreciated.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:39 AM

Performer's name:AssociateX
Experience:10+ (childhood lessons age 11-17 then nothing until I started up again in Fall 2018)
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4X1mnkIgLM
Title of piece:Intermezzo Op 118 # 2
Composer:J.Brahms
Duration:05:45
Source of music:IMSLP and Henle
Instrument used:Steinway Model 0
Recording method:my Iphone 6s
Additional info:This was probably my 500th recording because every time I sat down to record, either my bird would make noise or I would fudge too much of the middle. My biggest challenge is to make this quieter (still a challenge), parts sound too "note-y" to me, and there are definitely 3 audible wrong notes from the middle onward. It vexes me greatly but this was the best version of the last 6 recordings I made in the past few days (and only last week did I fix some of the rhythm problems I had in the middle). Another challenge with this piece was getting the voicing between the LH and RH. It really forced me to work on voicing techniques on fingers I rarely think about for melody lines. Overall, I hope this is enjoyable and not too ackward to listen to.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:39 AM

Performer's name:barbaram
Experience:4 as a teen, 6 as a returning adult. occasional dabbling in between
Title of piece:Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941
Duration:00:52
Instrument used:Kawai CS8
Recording method:DP to Audacity
Additional info:What a wonderful idea to dedicate this recital to Monica, who has been such a welcoming and inspirational presence on this forum for the 6 years I have been here and many before that. We are all thinking of you Monica in these tough times and sending you and your loved ones very best wishes.

I wasn't expecting to have anything for this recital, as I returned just a couple of days ago from a month away.
This piece is still work in progress, and I was recording it as an aid to learning, but when I got to the end I was pleasantly surprised and decided it was in decent enough shape to submit it.
I submitted BWV 940 to the last recital, have also learned BWV 939, and plan to learn the next 2 to complete the set of 5 Little Preludes these make up.
I always find Bach pieces are more challenging than they appear on the page, this was no exception. (Henle tells me that the next 2 in the set are a step up in difficulty so I hereby resolve to bear this in mind when I tackle them!)

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:40 AM

Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvz0WVrLBTk
Title of piece:Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin'
Composer:Schumann
Duration:01:33
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Estonia L210 (2018)
Recording method:Zoom H5
Additional info:A re-recording of Schumann's charming little dedication to Chopin. I'm surprised that the score indicates 'Agitato' on such a sweet and dainty melody. Perhaps Schumann wanted to convey an agitated burst of passion and infatuation? After the turbulence of the first section I feel compelled to play the repeat fully in Una Corda and at a more relaxed tempo to bring out the hushed sweet tones of melody.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:41 AM

Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:7 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/KecATpT4UTY
Title of piece:Birmingham Blues
Composer:Martha Mier
Duration:02:10
Source of music:Martha Mier, Jazz, Rags & Blues book 4
Instrument used:Casio Celviano AP-450
Recording method:iPhone 7
Additional info:It took me ages to record this pieces, and there are still hesitations and mistakes, probably because I had to memorize most of it in order to play it through. Anyway, I think this take has a little more momentum and energy in it, maybe because it came after quite a lot of sweating and swearing at the piano.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Monica K. for all her work on this forum, and especially for being such an inspiration to me as a self-taught pianist. Seeing what she has accomplished in these years has helped me to keep going! Thank you so much Monica!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:41 AM

Performer's name:Claudemir Medeiros
Experience:2 years and 8 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpEi1qhHq8
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqwWYKElq9qNRtVPHpwsTSQ
Title of piece:Nocturne op 15 n 3
Duration:05:05
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-645.
Recording method:Digital to PC

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:42 AM

Performer's name:Tyrone Slothrop
Experience:1 year 6 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/DYWAg1dZvr0
Home page link:https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tyrone_Slothrop
Title of piece:Cold Wind var. 1
Duration:04:06
Source of music:sheet music from Seven Days Walking / Day One, as arranged for solo piano by the composer
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Recording method:MIDI file from Yamaha AvantGrand N1X saved via wireless in the Yamaha Smart Pianist app on an iPad Pro,and then rendered in Omnisphere 2 Keyscape using the LA Custom C7 Grand Piano
Additional info:I want to honor and provide a tribute to Monica K. by dedicating this playing of my very first Einaudi piece to her. Monica's long-time devotion to administering these ABF quarterly recitals has made these recitals all possible and give joy and fulfilment to so many beginning adult pianists, such as me, who might otherwise not have access to a traditional recital. Furthermore, I would never have discovered this particular piece were it not for Monica's enthusiasm for all things Einaudi over these years. We love you Monica!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:42 AM

Performer's name:Sandalholme
Experience:Too many
Title of piece:Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848
Duration:03:40
Instrument used:Kawai ES7, Pianoteq Steingraeber
Recording method:Digital to pc
Additional info:Chopin believed he had lost his inspiration, but in losing complexity he gained this wonderful simplicity. I chose this for Monica because it has that Autumn of life sweetness of past happiness together with the sad awareness of mortality. Life has been/is good and it is also finite.
Monica, I hope it is a suitable contribution.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:43 AM

Performer's name:Purrblast
Experience:17 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/FQ4IdC1b5io
Title of piece:Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a)
Composer:Anton Reicha
Duration:02:28
Source of music:Sheet music from Pianist Magazine 105
Instrument used:Kawai CA78
Recording method:Recorded to USB stick in pianist mode, normalized in audacity
Additional info:This is my first piece with syncopated pedalling and first piece that I brought to my teacher (he usually picks pieces for me). It might've been a bit above my level with all those 4 note chords (theres even 5-note one), but I got it greenlighted.

I really like that it's kind of unknown yet sounds so familiar.

There are some ghost notes in this take and the piece could use some more dynamics as well as rubato in phrases. But it's almost deadline, so I decided to go with this version. Hope you'll enjoy it.

My video has been copyright blocked, but I left the link. Hopefully the blockade will be lifted at some point.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:43 AM

Performer's name:initK
Experience:8 years as child/teen, 8 months since returning to playing after 30 years long break.
Video link:https://1drv.ms/v/s!AroqD_qG65VG7zNIiNx528lRaW1m
Title of piece:Dream a little dream of me
Composer:Fabian Andre
Duration:01:56
Source of music:Downloaded from: https://henwillp.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/yiruma-dream-a-little-dream-of-me.pdf
Instrument used:Yamaha YDP-163
Recording method:Android phone camera
Additional info:This is my very first submission. Quality of the sound is poor (many apologies), but this is the best I can manage at the moment. Every time I turn on the camera, I panic, so it is what it is for now.
I love this arrangement by Yiruma. This is unusual genre for me as I was only playing classical music as a child, but I'm having fun now - picking up music myself and playing only what I want.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:44 AM

Performer's name:Terry Michael
Experience:3
Title of piece:Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7
Duration:00:58
Instrument used:Kawai CS10
Recording method:ZOOM
Additional info:Always loved this piece. At my age this might be the only Chopin I'll ever be able to play!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:44 AM

Performer's name:QuasiUnaFantasia
Experience:Just over 2 years since rebooting. On and (mostly) off for decades before that, playing strictly by ear.
Title of piece:Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999
Composer:J. S. Bach
Source of music:Memorized sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-30 with Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG)
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:I've spent almost all my life avoiding Bach like the plague, so actually submitting one of his works marks something major for me. Whether something good, or something bad, I can't tell. smile

By the way, I'm sure Bach would have loved the sustain pedal. wink

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:45 AM

Performer's name:lvojnovic
Experience:almost 4 years
Title of piece:Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772
Composer:J. S. Bach
Duration:01:27
Source of music:Henle urtext
Instrument used:Kawai CN41
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:I love playing Bach smile This was my first 2-part invention. I took me around 4 - 5 months to learn and polish it. I have it mostly memorised. The recording is not perfect, but it will never be smile For my next Bach piece I am working on the 4th 2-part invention.

Thanks to all for your comments in advance. Although I am a bit of lurker and do not comment much, I try to listen to all submissions and read all comments. These recitals are very useful to me because they give me a deadline to polish and record a piece.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:46 AM

Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Title of piece:Consolation No. 3
Composer:Liszt
Duration:04:22
Additional info:For Monica.

(Thanks, Sam.)

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:47 AM

Performer's name:Sam Rose
Experience:About 8 years, on and off
Video link:https://youtu.be/A1pFOjgGl5o
Title of piece:Invention 14 in Bb major
Duration:01:48
Source of music:Good ol' JS Bach
Instrument used:Hamburg Steinway D (early 80s, I believe)
Recording method:2 Shure KSM141 mics into a Tascam DR-60D. Old Canon camcorder for video.
Additional info:I can never get anything to the level I want it (because I can't seem to get myself to practice), but I still wanted to share. Hope it's not too bad, and thanks for listening! smile

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:47 AM

Performer's name:Ralphiano
Experience:4 years
Title of piece:Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi
Composer:Clementi
Duration:03:17
Source of music:RCM Level 3 Repertoire book
Instrument used:VPC1 & Pianoteq
Additional info:I lost control of this piece over the last week or so. Instead of working on it, I shopped for a new digital piano. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of Pianoteq. I spend all my time in vain trying to make it sound like a piano. Instead, is makes metallic noises like wooden hammers striking metal rods. I've lost the last 8 months to wrestling with Pianoteq. I getting to the point that I hate sitting down to the piano.

I hope to very soon have in my possession a real digital piano that makes piano sounds.

I really miss playing and practicing piano. I hope to be back at it soon.

This piece has been a great pleasure for me. When I first started piano, I discovered a great little sheet music store nearby. On my first visit, a Tuesday evening, I was browsing their endless selections when suddenly this wonderful, delightful music erupted from the back of the store. It was piano and it sounded wonderful.

So, I browsed longer than needed, secretly hoping to hear more of this pianist and this music. Eventuallyy the music ended, and I left. The next week I went back at the same time, and, once again was treated to the same performances.

I inquired and was told I was listening to a student and to the teacher, who were playing during the student's lessons. I inquired about the piece, and was told it was Clementi's Sonatina. I knew that one day I would play it.

So, now, 4 years later, I am having my go at it. And, I am enjoying it as much now as I did then.

This rendition is not that enjoyable to listen to, but, despite the difficulties, I had fun preparing it for you.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:48 AM

Performer's name:ShiroKuro
Experience:20ish
Title of piece:Nuvole Bianche
Duration:05:19
Instrument used:Upright piano
Recording method:Zoom H4, audacity
Additional info:This is one of the many, many pieces that I love to play that I would never have even heard of were it not for Monica. Monica, your recordings have always been an inspiration for me and a goal to aim for! <3

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:48 AM

Performer's name:Morodiene
Title of piece:Le Onde
Duration:03:55
Instrument used:Kawai MP11/TrueKeys American
Recording method:MIDI to Logic Pro
Additional info:I rushed to put this together, I hope that it's enjoyable nonetheless!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:49 AM

Performer's name:JJHLH
Experience:5 Months
Video link:https://youtu.be/Q426y5XSBeY
Title of piece:Minuet A Minor, Z649
Composer:Henry Purcell
Duration:00:55
Instrument used:Yamaha P-515
Recording method:Garritan CFX Full to USB thumb drive on piano. Converted wav file to mp3 online.
Additional info:I have a lot to learn but I'm enjoying the process! Thank you to the wonderful members on Piano World who have helped with my numerous digital piano questions haha.

Thank you Monica.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:49 AM

Performer's name:Pathbreaker
Experience:Started in 2000
Title of piece:Arabeske 1
Composer:Debussy
Duration:05:00
Source of music:Sheet
Instrument used:Cfx vst
Recording method:Directly recorded wav. Convert to mp3 in Audacity.
Additional info:I have to relearn this one every few years but rarely get a recording that sticks. I like this one even though it's at a moderate tempo. Maybe next time I could try playing it faster? It usually gets messy.

Hope you enjoy!

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:50 AM

Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:Home Noodler since 2006
Title of piece:Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2
Composer:Mr Super-Hunky
Source of music:By ear [both]
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB (2006)
Recording method:Zoom H2 Audacity
Additional info:I was going to perform an Einaudi piece for Monica, but I've already butchered several in past recitals and I think she's had just about enough of that. So instead, out of respect, I've decided to hack up another composers work as I think she would appreciate the fact that I am being true to myself in doing so. [and leaving the Einaudi stuff alone !].

This piece was a little tricky to learn as there is a lot of fancy finger work involved. I'm not sure why I even picked it but I remember hearing it last Christmas on a car commercial and thought I should try and learn it someday because it sounded nice. So here it is....sort of.

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:51 AM

Performer's name:Handyman (John)
Title of piece:Leaves on the Seine
Composer:David Lanz
Duration:05:13
Source of music:Narada New Age Compilation
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301
Recording method:DP to Audacity on Laptop via audio interface
Additional info:One of David Lanz's masterpieces dedicated to Monica with deepest respect and utmost admiration...

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/15/19 10:52 AM

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:9 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/rawOz0uiVFM
Title of piece:Fantasie in c minor
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:03:29
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Additional info:Monica, I tried to learn an Einaudi piece and failed miserably. Maybe this dramatic Bach Fantasy will brighten your day a bit! Thanks so much for getting these recitals started and keeping them going for so many years. I will do my best to keep them going and make you proud of what you have accomplished.

Accuracy is my big problem with this piece - and memory. I was going to record it on the harpsichord, but accuracy is even worse there. Sometimes I get off a bit and totally shred it. But if you came to my house, this recording is exactly how I would play it for you.

The manuscript for this dates from 1738. What else happened in 1738? Scarlatti published his famous book of sonatas. This Fantasy is in the same form as a Scarlatti Sonata - rounded binary. I speculate that Bach somehow saw a copy of Scarlatti's Sonatas, said to himself, "I can do that!", and wrote his own take on them. Anyway, that's my story, and I don't care if any music historians agree or not!
Posted By: KevinM

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/16/19 08:51 AM

bump
Posted By: Animisha

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/16/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by KevinM
bump

Thank you Kevin! smile
Posted By: Sam S

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/17/19 09:31 AM

bumping again...
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/17/19 09:48 AM

Thank you Monica.
Posted By: Riddler

Re: Recital 55 --- August 15, 2019 - 08/23/19 02:30 AM

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999
Something good, definitely good! Yes, on the pedal, too, I think 😊

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772
How I envy your hand independence! Beautifully done!

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3
A beautiful, sensitive rendition of a masterpiece! Very touching!

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1
Absolutely gorgeous! I love this piece and enjoyed every second of your performance!

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2
Definitely sounds like you have an extra hand or two, with extra fingers on them, too. it's remarkable that you accomplished all that by ear.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums