Piano World Home Page

Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room

Posted By: AB Forum Recital

Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 10:09 AM

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #55!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #55 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #55 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music!
Posted By: WTM

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 10:38 AM

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag

Jason this performance was fantastic and got my feet tapping away under my desk at work. Incredible!
Posted By: cmb13

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 11:46 AM

Monica,

I actually laughed out loud when I read your lunch for the day. Working in healthcare, I know exactly what it is, and appreciate your ability to make the best of this rotten situation. You're keeping it light and enjoying your time with your music, and I'm sure your family and friends, and it's inspiring.

I listened to your Einauldi Assent on youtube a few days ago, but will be sure to listen again during my recital streaming when time permits. Keep your head up!

Craig
Posted By: KevinM

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 11:49 AM

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind var. 1

This was beautiful Tyrone. You made this your own and the overall feel of the piece is great. A real tribute to Monica.

I also loved the short video clips to create a nice whole experience with your youtube version. Well done.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 12:01 PM

30. Monica K. - Ascent

That was beautiful thank you Monica. I've never interacted with you on Piano World, but I was in tears by the end. You have such serenity and it shows in your music.
Posted By: Balezin Dmitry

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 12:52 PM

I'll try to watch videos later, and now just some comments on what I've listened to...

b]01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk[/b]
Loved soft and delicate sound of this piece,
it has some tension that pulls you somewhere. Loved your playing.

02. Peyton - For Monica
Warm sound and clear calm melody. I liked that.

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba
Nicely played. Very familiar melody. Expressive. And it just flows...N I C E

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20
What I love about the piano and people who can really play it is the diversity of sounds it can produce: deep, soft, bright, loud ect.
Nice playing.

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967)
It seems that you enjoyed playing this fun piece. Like it. Really skillful playing, great rhythm.

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song
Some pieces set the mood from the 1st note. I loved this one and the way you played it. Would be nice to listen to it while thinking about something deep...about what matters most in life. Loved your playing.

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music
Bright and nice. Well played.

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses
"Life and Roses" I guess??? Well played...sets soothing mood. Like it.

10. Jazztpt - Zero
Jazzy. I can't play any of jazz yet, so for me it's a master skill. Well played, interesting to listen to. Flow of melodies. Loved it.

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen
What's there not to like. Nice playing, clear melody, soft and spotless. Great.

12. MeganR - BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor
I wish it would have continued longer...(:-)

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3
I guess one should feel this kind of classical pieces to be able to comment something...great playing - is all I can say about this one.

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919)
I love nocturnes, but listen to them only during recitals, so I hope to get to one sometime...loved your soft playing and delicate touch.

15. Serge88 - Daniel
My problem is that I have very HEAVY left hand and this is why I loved your piece...those bass notes are present but they don't mess the melody, which is really clear and outstanding. Great playing, lovely piece.

16. Claudemir Medeiros - Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov
Lovely :-) I'm not a fan of classical piano, more of new-age piano guy...but still, you played it well.

17. joangolfing - Who Is He?
A little bit smoother and it would have been just perfect. Nice.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 I call this pieces "A piece which you can appreciate more if you can play it yourself". And I loved the fast runs somewhere at 2:40...Great playing.

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899
Very soft and delicate sound which is hard to master. Great playing...and it's long:-) which also requires a lot of work to learn and play without mistakes.

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement
I would love to watch you play this...(is there a video? I can only listen to it right now) I love wathing how hands fly while playing this kind of pieces. Just great.
Posted By: initK

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 02:05 PM

The Einaudi pieces in this recital are all lovely and kind of eye - or rather ear - opening for me. I never considered learning any of his music, but now I'm sold and ready, thank you Monica!

I enjoyed especially performances of
#1 Pianogrlnw, #7 MarieJ, #11 KevinM, #15 Serge88, #20 dumka1, #23 Riddler (Ed), #27 Jazzyprof, #30 Monica K., #32 Mosotti, #35 Jason Lenthe , #38 Ganddalf, #40 timmyab, #43 PikaPianist (WOW!), #46 Tyrone Slothrop (what a lovely video!), #53 Richard (zrtf90) and #57 Morodiene!

Lovely video editing and great playing #9 Jerzyk19. Oh how I love this song! Where is the arrangement from? I really like it!

I'm putting Tico-Tico samba on my to-do list, thank you Melanie (mel_lem), this was inspiring and fun to listen!

I also added Chopin's Nocturne No21 C minor to my list. Thank you for your wonderful performance, #47 Sandalholme!

It was heartening to see so many re-started as myself, gives me hope that I will improve in time too.

Thank you all for inspiration and pleasure of listening!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 02:10 PM

initK I restarted at the beginning of November 2018. Solidarity with fellow restarters of 2018.
Posted By: initK

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by KevinM
initK I restarted at the beginning of November 2018. Solidarity with fellow restarters of 2018.

Interesting that I wanted to submit the same piece by Schumann (which I love love love!), but chickened out, because I'm not happy with the quality of the recording and didn't want to disrespect wonderful classical music by poor sound.

I liked your gentle rendition of it very much!
Posted By: John305

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 04:04 PM

Monica K Ascent - Your piece was the first one I listened to in this recital. It is a beautiful piece that was beautifully played. You have a real talent for finding musical gems and then sharing them with us. You’ve introduced me to David Nevue and I’ve downloaded some of his music to learn. You’ve also introduced me to Helen Jane Long last year with your wonderful performance of The Aviators. I actually just started working on The Aviators about a week ago, I’m sorry I didn’t start sooner so I could have learned it in time to play in your honor at this recital. I’m very grateful for all of your contributions here on PW and I know I will always think of you whenever I hear or play a piece you’ve introduced me to, especially The Aviators, that piece just like you, have really touched me and I will never forget you for that. God bless you Monica.
Posted By: facdo

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 05:30 PM

Thank you all who shared your recordings! It is a pleasure to listen to so many talented piano enthusiasts. This is the first time I comment on the recital, I will try to cover all recordings.

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk
Beautiful piece, very sensitive interpretation. Well done!

02. Peyton - For Monica
Delicate, nice melody. I really enjoyed your piece, I wish I could compose something at least half as beautiful.

That piece has been on my wishlist since I was a kid and saw my sister’s boyfriend playing it. It is one of the many jewels in Brazilian music. You played it very well, accurately keeping the left-hand rhythm and balancing the dynamics.

Very nice! The low-quality audio actually helped to create the atmosphere for the music. I could picture a honky-tonk piano in an early 20th-century tavern, with people drinking and dancing to the tune.

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940
Very well played. That piece is next in my baroque list.

I didn’t know this composer, thank you for introducing me to this beautiful music. Very nicely played, made me want to learn it.

You did an excellent job with voicing, phrasing, and dynamics. Really well played!

Such a beautiful music, brings me childhood memories. This piece was on one of my mother’s favorite CDs. Very nice arrangement.

10. Jazztpt - Zero
I love this kind of freely/improvised chill out jazz music, I wish I could play like you.

I just had to play your recording twice, it was so good and this piece is just marvelous. It is on my list, I hope I can play it as well as you did.

Well played. I liked how you defined the articulations and phrasing. This piece is on my baroque wishlist.

Well done, this is such a difficult lovely piece. You were able to really separate the melody from the accompaniment arpeggios, and you gave the left-hand bass notes just the right emphasis.

Amazing tone quality, such sensitive playing! I didn’t know these pieces, made me want to learn them when I am ready.

15. Serge88 - Daniel
Nice arrangement and very well played. I think the slower tempo is actually very fitting to the melody, giving the song a more expressive feeling.

I am used to hearing this piece being played faster, but I actually liked your slower tempo. I think you did a very good job balancing the dynamics in both hands. Made me want to hear your interpretation of the 1st movement as well.

Well played, lovely piece.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3
It is Op.3 No.2, just correcting the title. I must say that I envy people that can play Rachmaninoff. You play it very well, with a lot of dynamic contrast, proper voicing of the melody in the chords and in the mid-section arpeggios. Just terrific, congratulations!

Really well played, wonderful cantabile touch. I can’t believe that you only have about a year of piano experience. I might have about 5 and I couldn’t play this piece as well as you did.

Well done, I think you did a nice job with dynamics and phrasing.

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor
Such a lovely piece, nicely played. Interesting progression, from the digital piano to the live concert.

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy
I didn’t know the composer, thank you for introducing me to this beautiful piece. I can see that the name is very suggestive, “nostalgy”. Just a minor issue, in my opinion, the backing track volume could be a little lower, especially the drumbeat.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily
Nice tune, well played. I really envy this skill of improvising from a jazz lead sheet, I hope someday I can do it at least half as good as you.

24. Peterws - Daydreams
Very nice, it seems that you are improvising but it sounds really great, very melodic and with coherent harmony.

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond
Interesting medley. I think the piano tone is well matched to the character of the pieces and your playing was very sensitive.

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose
You played very well, nice uplifting music, but I wish the recording had a better quality. The higher volume parts were distorted/clipped. Next time try making a better recording, your performance will be much more enjoyable.

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams
Very nice composition, it is simple, joyful and very enjoyable.

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni
Beautiful piece, very well played! I was looking for an Einaudi piece to learn, your performance convinced me to learn this one.

29. Animisha - Angelfish
Such a lovely piece, very well played! I liked the hand cross motion, you did it very smoothly.

30. Monica K. - Ascent
I like to think that good people ascent to a better place when it is time. It is a sad yet wonderful metaphor that you played this piece for this recital. The one word that I can use to describe your performance is “blissful”. Really sensitive playing, brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for all the contribution that you made to piano world!

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major
I haven’t listened to a lot of pieces by Scriabin and the ones I did weren’t very memorable. But this piece you played is just lovely, made me want to hear the whole set of preludes and maybe play a few.

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme
Well played, very emotional, nice dynamic contrast. If I were to guess I’d say that you have way more than just 2 years of piano experience.

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate
Nice, I enjoyed your playing. This is one of my favorite film theme music and I think the arrangement for solo piano is very appropriate. I would just be careful with the dynamics in the chords by the end, to avoid a harsh sound, and also work on maintaining the same tempo from the first to the second part.

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82)
Such a lovely piece from one of the many amazing collections of pieces by Schumann. I can’t say anything about your performance, the only word that comes to my mind is “perfect”. I wish someday I can play this piece as well as you did.

Classic ragtime piece, your playing was flawless. Well done!

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437
Very nicely played. These polyphonic pieces are tricky, and you balanced the dynamics and the articulations in both voices very well.

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute
I really like these jazzy/bluesy piano tunes, I have to listen to more of it. I enjoyed your playing very much.

38. Ganddalf - Habanera
I didn’t know the piece or the composer, thanks for introducing it to me. Beautiful music, amazing playing.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6)
I didn’t know that Brubeck had written nocturnes. It doesn’t sound jazzy at all, I would never guess that this is Brubeck. Nice sensitive piece, very well played.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11
Although this is a baroque piece, you played it in a very romantic fashion, which is unusual but I really liked. Your playing is very warm and sensitive, and the voices are well balanced, like they are on different layers, touching and interacting with each other in the appropriate time. Amazing interpretation, very unique.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2
This is an amazing piece and you play very well, but maybe it is time to tune your piano. Such a terrific instrument, I can only imagine its sound when properly in tune. I can see that this piece is very challenging and that proper voicing is important to have a good interpretation. I could follow the melodic line easily, so I think you did a good job voicing those chords.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941
Well played, such a nice set of little preludes.

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin'
Ahh, come on, you are a professional pianist, aren’t you? What can I say about your performance? Just superb!

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues
Well done, nice slow blues piece.

45. Claudemir Medeiros - Nocturne op 15 n 3
I thought that there was allowed only one submission per person, this is the second piece that I hear you playing in this recital. I am not going to comment in this one as it seems that you are breaking the rules of the recital.

I will comment the remaining ones later.
Posted By: Animisha

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 05:57 PM

Dear Monica, just because this recital is dedicated to you, I hope you don't feel an obligation to listen and comment on every single piece. Please feel free to just enjoy them as you feel like. heart
Posted By: AssociateX

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by facdo
Thank you all who shared your recordings! It is a pleasure to listen to so many talented piano enthusiasts. This is the first time I comment on the recital, I will try to cover all recordings.

This is an amazing piece and you play very well, but maybe it is time to tune your piano. Such a terrific instrument, I can only imagine its sound when properly in tune. I can see that this piece is very challenging and that proper voicing is important to have a good interpretation. I could follow the melodic line easily, so I think you did a good job voicing those chords.

I will comment the remaining ones later.

Thank you, I am relieved to hear the chords were clear- that whole middle section for me was pure blood, sweat and tears to get the voicing right and it still isnt perfect..Still annoyed with how some notes were missed completely...ahh well..oh and my piano was actually tuned and regulated only 2 weeks prior to this recording.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 06:44 PM

Oh, I've already heard this on in some previous recital..,nice Waltz, will try to add it to my
repertoire as well. I hear it live recital which makes it so much difficult to pull through without stumbling. Nicely played.

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy
Familiar piece! I would love to hear more authentic/real drums but...as to piano, it was well played.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily
Smooth melody, well played, thumbs up!

24. Peterws - Daydreams
Some pieces I just love for no apparent reason.
This one was bright, interesting, fascinating...it was filled with emotions. Loved it. And the sound of your piano - well it's just great. Such a delight to listen to.

It was sad:-) A little more deep tones to this
arrangement would make it more pleasing (to my taste). Simple but nice and beautiful.

Nice song to play. Would love to hear some singing along to this one. Well played.
Some "overdrive" on the mic there:-)

Nicely played.

Einaudi and Your playing is something great. Loved it from the first notes. This kind of music makes my day. I thank you for the pleasure of listening to it.

29. Animisha - Angelfish
Beautiful short piece. Well played. Soft touch and clear melody.

30. Monica K. - Ascent
I'm glad I've found these online recitals on the internet...they push me to learn new stuff, to work on them...it's good to have a deadline...AND FOR ALL THAT I THANK YOU, MONICA.

GREAT playing. Warm and soft melody with great development. LOVED it. Wish you all the best.

Nive Warm mood, grat for listening in the evening to calm the nerves down. Well played.

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme Loved this movie. I presented my take on this piece a few recitalsago, so I was eager to listen to your variant.
- And from the first notes I heard much better playing, more soft, more dynamically correct. CONGRATULATIUON! Really well played.

That's me. Well, Hope I will do better with time...so much to improve in this one. But still I'm glad I managed to pull it off.
Posted By: wouter79

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Balezin

Bright and nice. Well played.

Dmitry, thanks!

You did an excellent job with voicing, phrasing, and dynamics. Really well played!

Good to hear, especially the phrasing and voicing were worked on hard smile

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 08:09 PM

Everyone playing acoustic who would like my feedback please give me a PM

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 08:21 PM

zsolpyW, Nice playing ! But Rachmanonoff on a Legnica 116? May I suggest you do an upgrade smile The very least would be a Legnica 232 grand smile

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 09:10 PM

Walk - a lovely Einaudi piece to start the recital with. Beautifully played.

02. Peyton - For Monica

A composition, captures I think the feel of a piece I think Monica would want to play.

A great being at a carnival feel to this. Very well played.

A proper foreboding sense to this piece. Really captures a proper mood. A great interpretation.

Have I gone back to the 1920s and gone to a silent Laurel and Hardy film with some piano accompaniment. Proper feel to these pieces.

Lovely piece sensitively played.

Just beautiful.

A complex interesting piece well played.

I think you have captured the feel of the time when this tune was written and popular. An authentic feel to this interpretation.

10. Jazztpt - Zero

I am not a big jazz fan, but the mellowness of this is great. I feel like I could sit back and relax. Well done.

A proper Bach piece played well. It always feel like Bach is going to tie your fingers up in knots, but you have done well.

Impressively played Moo. I'd love to able to play this piece but I think there is a year or 2 of learning needed before starting. I do feel like your piano or the recording lets you down a bit.

These are lovely, and the playing of them does them justice.

15. Serge88 - Daniel

Lovely. Nice to hear a song from my younger days with such a different but great interpretation.

29. Animisha - Angelfish

Gorgeous, a really sweet piece beautifully played.
Posted By: Pianoperformance

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 10:08 PM

Being huge fan of Ludovico...I love the pieces played. In fact, I enjoyed reading the dedications to Monica the most! Such touching sentiments. I was trying to get the Cold Wind Var 1 ready, alas life got way too busy, but I loved Tyrone’s piece, rhythm perfect-well done. I plan to get this piece under my belt.

Well done everyone, my morning was pure bliss listening to everyone’s recital. It spurs me on with my journey and craft.

The original compositions blew me wide open...and on many occasions, I transcended to heaven.

Ha, the Bach pieces- my love/not love situation : beautiful. Inspiring, especially for those who has only been playing for a year! That aren’t easy.

I noted a Bunch of pieces I would love to play one day: and I am sure that list will grow faster than I can master them. This is why there is so much joy on this journey.

Monica: your beautiful journey continues. Your music will live on. You will not be forgotten.

SamS: I have read your journey over the years, and may I add: the results are evident. Thank you for getting this recital together, and sharing your music journey. One day, I will feel brave enough to do a week’s piano camp!
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/15/19 11:39 PM

I was able to listen to the entire recital on my phone today. Unfortunately, I don't have time to comment on any of them. There were a lot of real gems in there though, Richard's Liszt performance comes to mind. I really enjoy that piece.

Such a talented and varied bunch here at PW! Thank you Monica and Sam!
Posted By: MeganR

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 12:10 AM

First set of comments - as always a wonderful recital. I am so grateful to Monica and all who make these possible.

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk A great piece to start the recital with, beautifully played.

02. Peyton - For Monica Love this composition!

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba Wonderful! Perfect piece to return with, really enjoyed.

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20 Your playing was very expressive and conveyed such emotion.

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967) This was great, loved the sound of the "old timey" tape!

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940 Well done, really like this "little" prelude.

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song Lovely and so beautifully played. My teacher has mentioned this composer to me for possible pieces, maybe I'll put this one on the to-do list.
Posted By: MarieJ

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 02:44 AM

I’m going to jump around a little this time, and start with - who else - the Einaudians.

Disappointing that you didn’t manage to join this group, Sam, (I didn’t either, this time smile ) but you’re forgiven everything for your wonderful work in continuing to bring us these invaluable Recitals.

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk Just beautiful, Ellen! You’ve certainly captured the essence of this lovely piece. (I’ve attempted it but I still have a l-o-n-g way to go to do it justice.)

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni iGiorni introduced me to Einaudi in December 2011, and started me on my piano journey. Thanks, Dan - loved your touch and dynamics!

30. Monica K. - Ascent What a haunting, quintessentially-Einaudi piece. And how wonderful that you managed such a sensitive, beautiful rendition despite everything else that is going on in your life. I loved the development around the 2.00 minute mark; again, your performance just reminds me why Einaudi is my all-time favourite composer too.

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind var. 1 I’m looking forward to hearing a lot more Einaudi from you, Tyrone! Wonderful playing; you managed to capture the atmosphere of the full album version with your 'solo' AvantGrand. And the video was a real bonus!

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche Nuvole Bianche joins iGiorni as two of my all-time favourite Einaudi pieces. I loved your playing - thank you! thumb

57. Morodiene - Le Onde I’m being thoroughly spoiled in this Recital, with yet another of my longest-standing Einaudi favourites to enjoy - and I certainly did with this. Lovely dynamics, particularly with the fading in the closing bars.
Posted By: Riddler

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 03:04 AM

Wonderful rhythms and syncopations! I love that song! I used to play it on the Hammond organ, which is easier. You play with real spirit!

Powerful! Intense! Beautiful!

Those independent lines are so hard to play, but you have managed to play them with a real sense of musicality. Well done!

Ah, yes, I'm one of the old geezers who love those sentimental songs from days long gone. Beautifully played!

10. Jazztpt - Zero
Melodically, harmonically, and rhythmically sophisticated! And beautifully played!

Wow, thanks for introducing us to these intriguing pieces. Great stuff!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 05:26 AM

02. Peyton - For Monica Such a gentle and lovely piece, Peyton, and most appropriately named; I’d be betting that Monica will want to play it. I most certainly would love to - have you produced the sheet music? Can I buy a copy?

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba Wow - how good is this! Toe-tapping magic! Bravo!

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20 This is a beautiful Prelude, and you handled the tricky dynamics with great sensitivity. (Please keep your promise of submitting an Einaudi piece - there are so many to choose from!)

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967) A highly-energetic medley from Teenage Ted - and recorded on reel-to-reel tape. Wow, that’s stepping back in time. Great fun!

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940 A very sweet performance, Snowfox!

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song Tomorrow - I just may achieve that elusive ‘perfect’ recording …

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music I could just see those 50 musicians 300 years ago, drifting upstream on a barge. Your rendition sang along nicely; your serious work certainly paid off.

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses Highlights: That rose, the wineglass wallpaper, the fact that you’re playing from music sheets (lead sheets?), your arrangement, the melody - oh, and your performance! smile

10. Jazztpt - Zero So glad that you did take part in this Recital - that was really special! thumb

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 09:17 AM

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen A delicate, lovely touch, Kevin, with great dynamics to make it a delightful listen.

12. MeganR - BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor It sounded ‘right’ to me - as if you were owning and really enjoying it. Nicely done, Megan!

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3 A very impressive rendition of a demanding but very beautiful composition. I enjoyed it tremendously.

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919) I’ve never heard these Nocturnes before, and found them entrancing. You certainly should be pleased with such a wonderfully polished performance.

15. Serge88 - Daniel Your slower tempo is fine, really bringing out the melancholy of this great Elton John favourite. Very well played!
Posted By: Peyton

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 11:37 AM

30. Monica, I listened to this when you put it up on youtube and only had a few things to say. Sometimes words just can't say enough. It's beautifully played and just a hauntingly lovely piece.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 12:34 PM

Monica,
Thanks for joining in to what might be your last recital!

You wrote you are trying to get the most quality of life for your remaining time. So it's nice to see that making it here has so much priority.

Following that line, I'm curious, are there other top priority things you really want to do in your remaining time ? Or the other way round, things you dropped immediately? For instance did you keep working?

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 03:44 PM

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music Your work on the voicing really did the trick, well played.

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses I did enjoy this arrangement greatly, love this piece.

10. Jazztpt - Zero Soooo nice, wonderful performance!

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen I love this piece and have it on my "learn someday" list. I can only hope to play it as well as you have, with a lovely light touch, perfectly melodic.

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3 I agree with the poster who complimented your touch on the bass notes, nicely balanced tone. You played this piece beautifully.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 04:15 PM

I'm listening to these at random; here's what I covered so far.

Great playing by all. A lot of Einaudi (surprise?) and a lot of Bach!

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20 Great playing. This was among my first real pieces as well. So powerful!

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen (That was very nice, Kevin, you're return is going well!

12. MeganR - BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor I'm torturing myself with the Little Preludes right now also. Why are they sooo hard?? The way I see it is if it doesn't kill me, it'll make me stronger! Nice playing.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 Nicely done, thanks for the informative introduction into the manufacturer, Legnica.

29. Animisha - Angelfish Nice playing, enjoyed it! It was fun to watch the video with the hand crossing. Very smooth!

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind var. 1 That was really nice, Lt, you're definitely playing real music now, with the new piano and lots of practice, you have kicked it up a notch! Rachmaninov, here you come!

50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7 If there's only one, that's a good one, nice and brief, (with some tricky reaches), but I suspect you'll have others in the future as well! Time to move on to the Prelude in E minor.

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999 That was a nice prelude, I liked the tempo, it had a nice intensity to it. I'm not sure if Bach would have liked the pedal, but I did smile.

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 I like this one...I'm looking forward to hitting it one day. I'm trying to do Bach systematically, though, starting with the Little Preludes. Great job, very smooth.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 One of my favorites!!! Really enjoyed your interpretation. I remember you helped me with this one when I posted it for the 50th recital! I have continued to work on it since then, coming back to it periodically. In fact, I played it just last night!

Regarding tempo, you may remember I questioned this when I recorded it. Since then, I have been playing it more slowly, with about 10-15% reduction in tempo, as I like to let it breathe a little more. I also tend to use just a little more rubato at various places. I have been aware to close the gap between the first bass note and the rest of the notes in the measure, as you had advised.

I am now really building up to that Ab on the crescendo in M14, the first of the two climaxes, and even more so on the first chord in M42, which I progressively build to beginning in M41, reaching great intensity with the first chord in M42.

I loved how smoothly you played M56. I still worry just a little bit on that measure that I'm not as even as I'd like to be. In M59-60, I tend to respect the ritardando and perdendosi, gradually increasing the increments between each eighth then each quarter note. Finally, I lift the pedal as I play the final Db chord (composed of just the F-Ab), letting the rest die away as I hold the chord. What do you think?

Thanks for your help on this piece, and for sharing your interpretation.

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major Nice playing, Sam, Bach is tricky!

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi Hey, Ralph! Big piece, sounds like you had fun with it. There were a couple of misses; I wonder if it might help to slow it down a bit. I personally tried this one about two years ago but never bothered to perfect it, as I found it frustrating to do so, and moved on. I'm sure you can nail it as you've come this far, if you choose to, or move on as I did. Either way, nice work.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde Wow! You killed this one! Then again, I shouldn't have anticipated anything less. Your tempo was fast, yet, the dynamics were strong, and the piece moved, from beginning to end. Thanks for sharing!

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 Very pretty. I love that piece. I play around with it from time to time, but have not yet committed to learning it.

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2 Really interesting piece. I liked it a lot, it sounded like a combination of Einaudi and Bach! Can you tell us more about Piano Tiles?

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor Excellent! What more is there to say! Wow, there was lot of Bach on this recital!
Posted By: Morodiene

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 05:48 PM

I'll be listening and commenting in sections, for here's the first 10:

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk Such enchanting playing - what a great way to start this recital!

02. Peyton - For Monica This displays such a fine sensitivity and deep serenity. Thank you for sharing this piece with us.

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba This is really a fun piece - what a gem! I think I’ll download this to learn smile

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20 This is one of my favorite Chopin preludes. You gave it a very majestic feel!

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967) I love the vintage sound this has - it matches the ragtime style so well!

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940 Nice, even control throughout! I think you can try adding some dynamic contrast between the voices to help direct our ears to different hands depending on what you think is important - that will give this piece even more dimension smile

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song I can see why this piece captivated you - you’ve got me hooked now smile You play this with a great sense of style!

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music I know what you mean about having to resolve blockiness with a hymn-like texture. I really like how you added just a bit of stretching the tempo in at around 0:51 and 1:08 and the ending - this was very effective. You could even add a bit of phrasing even if it’s not written in to help disguise the blockiness.

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses I was surprised to hear this, expecting Edith Piaf to start in at any moment smile . My only suggestions would be to clear the pedal a bit more in some places where the harmonies blurred, and also you can roll more of the chords to add to the style, but great rubato throughout!

10. Jazztpt - Zero I love how this picks up with more energy as you go along - you really take us on a musical journey with this!
Posted By: peterws

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 05:51 PM

1 Wouter79

Lovely, Pleasant deep sound to it. Kicks off the recital; a kind of classy prelude.!

2 Claudimir Medeiros

Your Yamaha does sound nice; better than those in the shop I was at, prob. because I'm not playing this! Nice and steady. Couldn't spot any deliberate mistakes. Good stuff.

3 Mossoti

Super playing. Very well done for the expression (depression) you put into this piece. Chopin in one of his gloomiest couldn't've done better! Honestly, great stuff for such a short time.

4 Peyton

Loved the expression you put into this; nothing harsh sounding at all. Well played.

5 MarieJ

Never know what to expect with Einaudi. This is so tinkling, and pleasing. It'd sound so nice with a string, or orchestral backing. I might do something like that myself sometime and see what happens . . . .

6 Jerzik19

Bit of everything here! This is lively, restrained, sophisticated. Your piano sounds super; the whole is a vibrant piece of music. Lovely!

7 AKC42 Alan Chandler

Wholly pleasing piece here; you make it flow well, and comfortably steady. Enjoyed.

8 Kevin M

Loved your rendition of this. I played this years ago in church. Not like this though. So expressive; your piano sounds just great. Well done.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 06:16 PM

9 Sandleholme

A nice sophistication I could only wish for. So calm, fluid; great dynamics. One of Chopin's better pieces. Loved it.

10 Thomas

Oh wow! What a start! My gramps played in silent films during the Slump when no money was coming in. You have a great atmosphere going here; the music needs steadying, but still fits in so well in its agito tempo (my own word, ha ha) Keep 'em coming!

11 bsharp cyclist

Super! I did the Grieg "Little birds" and it sounded like "angry birds", Great job, man! And what a piano . . .

12 Cmb13

Thought this was Chopin; seems suitably expressive/depressive. I usually love Tch's work and you play this well, very well. I guess Mr T didn't welcome Autumn.
Posted By: zrtf90

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 06:45 PM

Peter, I think you're listening to recital #54! Craig did October last time out but isn't in this one.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by zrtf90
Peter, I think you're listening to recital #54! Craig did October last time out but isn't in this one.

Grief!" Thx for tellin' me. If this becomes public knowledge . . . .hahah ZRT has some prizes for those who picked up on this . . . . laugh Stupid Grin

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 07:51 PM

Take 2;

1 Pianogrinw

Great sounding strong piano. Anything'd sound good on that. This was a lovely flowing piece with quite a bit of emotion detected by my oft defective radar. Nice work.

2 Peyton

An Einaudi sound alike! Ah, know somebody who'll appreciate that greatly. But in truth I think we all will, too. Splendid stuff.

3 Mel Lem

Super efforvescent, classy playing from such a little piano which delivers such expression! What is there not to like?

4 facdo

Heavily handled, as it should be. Never gonna cheer anyone up, but music itself is good. This was good, but I do feel a bit sorry for Chopin. He had a lot to put up with.

5 Ted Jones

Most excellent stuff here, played with aplomb and enough to make anyone smile. We need more mistakes to give it that "pub piano" feel of the twentys and thirties. Yes, I do need a drink.

6 Snow Fox

Great to hear Bach from one so new to this, and played so well. Faultless!

7 MarieJ

Some nice harmonies from this simple melody. And it's very melodious. Pianoteq has a nice sound when you play it. Lovely.

8 Wouter79

Lovely sound; reminds me of Christmas. Rich, fruity, any piano would like to sound like it. Great, lovely, just too short.

9 Jerzyk19

A big sound here. This sort of recording isn't what we can all achieve. So very well played on an expressive instrument.

10 Jazztp

Always good to hear your modern offerings; those chords are something else. Very soothing; it's good to hear it liven up. You make it sound so effortless.

I'll leave it there for tonight. I always seem to muck up when responding. Usually by pressing the wrong link and wiping out what I've done. But to respond to the wrong recital? Go on, Monica; have a laugh . . .

More tomorrow . . . time for some much needed Merlot. They say it's good for you.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/16/19 09:10 PM

Another collection of responses from me. My comments do not do justice to how well everyone has done.

Lovely harpsichord type sound you given to this piece which suits it well. An great interpretation and I enjoyed it well.

I like the contemplative feel of this piece. Feels like something to help get you into a reflective mood and think philosophical thoughts about life.

Properly forbidding from the beginning. Really sets the scene for the whole piece. Another great interpretation. I've never listened to Rachmaninov before in at least in a way to connect a style to a composer. This is a truly interesting piece.

I love your finger work on this, keeping the different voices nicely clear, the top line melody, the middle kind of a chatty voice and then the deep sound support. All layered well. I want to learn this one day, I don't think I could ever do it for a recital.

Interesting piece well played.

You have captured the feeling of this piece well giving it a good waltz feel to it. When I learn it I want to give it the interest you have given it.

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy

Feels like proper mood music.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily

I feel like I am transported in time into the golden years of hollywood. Quite an achievement I think. Lovely interpretation.

24. Peterws - Daydreams

This is great, I wish my daydreaming reflections could come up with something so relaxing so I could drift on a lake in a small boat.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 02:19 AM

15. Serge88 - Daniel
Serge, your playing is always so clean and crisp – no hesitations or weak notes or notes out of time. Wonderful playing overall!

Well done! Very precise, but also very musical and enjoyable.

Oh boy, do I love that piece. You play with real passion, but also with accuracy. BTW, did you ever notice the similarity between the chords at the ending of this piece and the chords at the beginning of his piano concerto nr 2?

Ed
Posted By: Ted

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 02:24 AM

Splendid feeling for this type of rhythm.

10. Jazztpt - Zero
A very professional sound, lots of nice chords and phrasing.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily
A very attractive piece, interesting chords and compelling sentiment.

Like Joshua Rifkin and Brian Keenan, you prefer the authentic tempo in a piece which is often played at ridiculous speed. I think I prefer your way as it increases definition of the syncopation, which disappears altogether at high speed. Well done.
Posted By: ShiroKuro

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 02:35 AM

I have so, so enjoyed listening to everyone’s recordings! I may not be able to comment on each one individually, but I have listened to each one twice so far and am just really enough it.

Monica, your performance and recording (as always) were wonderful! I don’t have the score for Ascent, but hearing you play it makes me want to go and buy it? smile

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 04:49 AM

16. Claudemir Medeiros - Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov A very pleasing, confident performance - nice phrasing and dynamics.

17. joangolfing - Who Is He? I think you achieved all of the set goals - and more - with this choice. The melody sang clearly too; well done.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 You obviously love your venerable Legnica, and you have brought out its full capabilities with your fine and spirited performance. (And yes - it does have a strong bass!)

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 It’s a real treat when there are two versions of the same composition in the one Recital. That was a sensitive and polished performance, with lots of light and shade - amazing after only 14 months!

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement A new one for me - a lovely piece indeed, with ‘good moments’ all the way through - terrific!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 05:24 AM

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor Progressing from basic DP to full concert grand over the course of a Chopin waltz: a great idea, executed with flair. I really enjoyed the contrasts in tone, nicely played!

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy I’ve played ‘Nostalgy’ too (all by itself, no backing or arpeggios) and always felt that it was a bit ‘thin’ and could do with a little embellishment. An interesting arrangement, I enjoyed your version.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily Love your late-night piano-bar gems. Awesome playing from a lead sheet’s barest of bones!

24. Peterws - Daydreams ‘Daydreams’ was just the right title, Peter: that really was a dreamy composition in your inimitable style. One of your absolute best.

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond A sensitively-played interpretation. You certainly captured an atmosphere of sadness with your two haunting selections.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 05:52 AM

Trills are really well played. Nice feel. Loved deep bass notes and overall dynamic range. Great touch control.

I hear real ptential in this piece. I liked the way you played it.
I guess a little bit more work on it and it will be just perfect. (Ha, ha...I guess I'm being spoiled by the great playing we listen to at this recital). Great.

Short, but nice:-)

mething about Chopin make me like it a lot. Great playing.

Nice blues subtle melodies...liked it. Just a little louder would be great (to my ears).

Oh, I really loved some of the parts of this piece. I never played Nocturnes myself...and when I hear one, I always think...I should. Well played.

I loved this gloomy piece. Even loved it repetidness (is there such a word?) Deep bass adds so much to the feelings. Great playing.

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848
Loved your playing. Great control of the left hand (my bass notes tend to be overwhelmingly loud).

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a)
I liked it a lot. Listening to this one understands that it's not about speed and bursts of chords but rather about feel...nice delivering.

49. initK - Dream a little dream of me
So, I guess it was played well, because I was humming a tune at the end:-)

50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7
When I listen to some short pieces I always think "Oh wait, is it over? Already? I need some more" Well played. Would like to hear some more.

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999
Smooth, steady, controlled playing. Good job.

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772
That epoch of music is something I am not quite ready for. Not enough of piano experience to understand it's beauty...I need to play one.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3
Consolation - is 100% correct name for this piece. Very calm and beautiful. Great playing...everything wos spot on!

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major
Vivid plaing. Liked it.

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi
I guess, I'm running out of words and my comments are becoming short. Nice playing, vivid and clear. I think in this kind of pieces DYNAMICS is the king. And you did well.

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche
Well, I am 100% subjective here. I loved it from the first chord and then I looked at the name of a piece...of course it's Einaudi. His simple compositions have different kind of simplicity that captivates you. And I LOVED your playing...or did I love Einaudi???
I guess BOTH. Great work.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde
Nice flow of broken chords and melody. I liked that.

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649
Short piece, well played.

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1
Fluent, lovely, perfect, clear. What's there not to like. I defenetly enjoyed your performance. It's not fair how good it is:-)

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2
Gorgeous melody and playing. Loved this piece.

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine
erfect portrait of Autumn emotions.It's all there...Hope I'll be able to play like that in some years to come. Just great!!!

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor
Vivid, well played.

I must thank you all for the pleasure of listening to this recital.
See you all in 3 months:-)

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 10:27 AM

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose A bright, happy swing with plenty of ‘oomph’ - nice work, Cathy!

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams An appealing composition, and I loved the clarity of your performance. Very sweet!

29. Animisha - Angelfish Oh, I really wanted more - that was simply lovely!

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major Another new-to-me composition. You played with feeling and a delicate touch, making for a very pleasant listening experience. Thank you!

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme I saw that the sheet music was available at musicnotes.com - from your description, I’m interested to know whether you learned this from the Youtube tutorial or the printed score. It was beautifully played, especially after learning for such a brief period.
Posted By: Mosotti

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 11:04 AM

Thank you, it’s from the printed score. It was the second piece I’ve learned about 1 year ago with my teacher’s fingering, which has some tricky legato thirds that I was able to do much better after a lot of Czerny practice smile
Posted By: zrtf90

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by cmb13
I am now really building up to that Ab on the crescendo in M14...Finally, I lift the pedal as I play the final Db chord (composed of just the F-Ab)...What do you think?
Thanks, Craig. It's good to know you're still working on it. The final chord must include the Db for finality so it has to be held with the finger if you lift the pedal, which makes the last two chords awkward. In my score the last left hand note is a final Db marked as a silent strike, held to the end. I don't quite make it silent in the recording (it's a two octave jump though you'd have to know it was there to hear the strike) and it should reverberate quietly to the end as sympathetic resonance.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by zrtf90
I am now really building up to that Ab on the crescendo in M14...Finally, I lift the pedal as I play the final Db chord (composed of just the F-Ab)...What do you think?
Thanks, Craig. It's good to know you're still working on it. The final chord must include the Db for finality so it has to be held with the finger if you lift the pedal, which makes the last two chords awkward. In my score the last left hand note is a final Db marked as a silent strike, held to the end. I don't quite make it silent in the recording (it's a two octave jump though you'd have to know it was there to hear the strike) and it should reverberate quietly to the end as sympathetic resonance.

That’s a really good point. My score doesn’t contain that Db, although I guess it’s carried from a couple of measures earlier, in M57. I guess you could silently depress it to keep it ringing. Anyway, the pedal lift was a touch a teacher brought up and I liked it. I’ll see if I can do that silent strike.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 04:24 PM

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen Very nicely done! I love the dynamics and the bit of rubato especially.

12. MeganR - BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor Isn’t it interesting when you let yourself go from “doing it right” and do something you know to be completely wrong and just have fun with it that you are better able to then go back and play it the way you wanted to before? I don’t know what the previous version sounded like, but your playing seemed to have liveliness and freedom smile

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3 I love this piece - it’s not easy to bring out the melody over the moving accompaniment and you were able to pull that off! I’m not sure if you were planning on continuing work on this, but if so I recommend putting in some rubato and really working on softening the accompaniment overall to help draw the ear to the melody. Very nice playing!

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919) This is the first time I’ve heard these pieces, but I love the atmosphere you created with this piece!

15. Serge88 - Daniel I wasn’t sure I would recognize this piece, but I do remember the original, so that’s a testament to how well you played it smile

16. Claudemir Medeiros - Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov I love Beethoven and was happy to see this on the recital. Have you tried using some damper pedal with this? It can be done tastefully enough to add some warmth to the sound without it becoming muddy. Thanks for playing!

17. joangolfing - Who Is He? I’m not familiar with this hymn, but I like your phrasing with it and how you carry the melody over everything as if it’s being sung.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 I really like the darkness in the bass that this piano has - seemed to match perfectly with the darkness of this prelude. I love how you played it too!

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 Horowitz’s version is the best IMO, so it’s certainly worthy of emulating. I think you were successful in your endeavors - thank you for playing!

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement I think this tempo is fine as it gives off the lightness and humor that Haydn liked to use to much in his music. I enjoyed your playing smile

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 04:29 PM

And my next collection of pieces to comment on. Continuing to be impressed.

I love the story you created to wrap the medley together with. Also love the sound of your piano that gives it a poignant feel, that isn't a built in Casio Privia sound is it?

I like how the piece borders on being sad, but seems to also want to be uplifting. You have played it well. Life is often not one thing or another.

I like the melody in this and you capture it well. Though now I see it is your own composition. This isn't just an interpretation this is the interpretation.

I love the sound of this, your playing and the piano sound.

I can see why you like these Scraibin preludes, you play this piece with lovely sensitivity.

Great sound you give to this piece. I don't know the movie but if this music is representative of the music I should look out for it.

I watched your youtube video, for a far more basic reason. I'm thinking of getting the MP11SE and one of my concerns is the music stand at the back of this deep slab keyboard and I wanted to see how you dealt with the issue. Unfortunately for me you are playing from memory.

I really like the rhythm you keep for this piece, and the sound you give it is great.
Well played.

I want to do most of the forest scenes myself one day. I hope I can match the musicality you give the playing of this piece.

Such a fun piece, a joy to listen to. Well played, you own it.

It is a beautiful piece, you are correct and you play it so.

I can never work out where this is going to go next. My brain keeps searching for that pattern, and this will keep this work always interesting. Finding the pattern feels obtainable yet never is.

38. Ganddalf - Habanera

What interesting sounds and rhythms. Very well played.

Softly it really is. I think you captured this piece well. Nicely played.
Posted By: Mosotti

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 05:40 PM

Great sound you give to this piece. I don't know the movie but if this music is representative of the music I should look out for it.

I watched your youtube video, for a far more basic reason. I'm thinking of getting the MP11SE and one of my concerns is the music stand at the back of this deep slab keyboard and I wanted to see how you dealt with the issue. Unfortunately for me you are playing from memory.

The music is fabulous, check youtube for some really crazy transcriptions, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbgEbWaLNAE

Regarding MP11SE, I don't use the stand that came with the piano. I can tell you it's a super-hard-metal thingy, but it goes to much in the back of the piano. So I've bought one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/manhasset_53_table_top_music_stand.htm

It's aluminium with rubber feet, very very nice quality. The only downside is that you can only fit at most three pages at once. But it's very easy to set up, you just pick it up with one hand and put it away smile

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 06:43 PM

11 KevinM

Lovely job Kevin. Smooth, relaxed, nice easy listening tempo. Why do I never play like that?

12 Megan R

You handle this like a good 'un. So does that lovely piano. I would like one of those . . .

13 Moo

An involved piece that you got a darned good grip on. It's hard, I tried it; the RH was too difficult. I did not conquer it; it also depressed me too much. But it is emotional, greatly and rightly so, and hard to handle. You captured the various moods very well. Well done, sir!

14 Tim Adrianson

New stuff to me. It'd probably grow on me, like so much does, but his chords and interaction is . . . .impressionist. One can only appreciate your fine playing on that superb sounding little grand.

15 Serge88

Great sound, great playing. Love the slower tempo. . . gives it more depth.

16 Claudemir Madeiros

Great shot at this. Steady is best, and your LH and RH runs are super. A nice happy feel to this tuneful . . . . tune!

17 JoanGolfing

Beautifully played. I imagine the words would be as beautiful as the tune which belonged to a bye-gone (revival) age, yet still presents the timeless image.

18 ZsolpyW

I knew this was gonna be good from the first chords. Not a barrel o' laughs, but . . .what a piece! Excellent work. I can say no more.

19 WTM Will Mason

Sounded lovely to me on your nice piano. You've come on fast . . . what you on? Might it be legal? (feel free to ignore that last bit).

20 Dumka 1

Great recording in a church, what super acoustics! And such accomplished playing!

Gotta go; I've been left behind! Long may your piano seats remain comfortable . . .
Posted By: joangolfing

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 08:09 PM

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Einaudi shared the spotlight with you Monica on PW Recital 55.
Pianogrlnw's Walk, BSharpCyclist's I Giorni, Tyrone Slothrop's Cold War Var. 1, ShiroKuro's Nuvole Bianche. and Morodiene's Le Onde. all magically played in your honor, Monica.
I have had the honor to be a part of this recital and to know you from your positive encouragement and display of talent. All the best to you and your family.
Posted By: Ido

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/17/19 09:27 PM

I finally found some time to listen.
I keep being amazed by the amount of talent of people here. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because we're a bunch of piano nerds, and it's only natural to see high levels of playing from people to whom the piano means so much.

Great playing. I really liked how you played with the tempo, timing and dynamics. Very high level. I also liked the piano sound. Interesting piece.

02. Peyton - For Monica
Wow. A very sentimental piece. I was really moved by it. Nice to hear original pieces here. Thank you for sharing it with us.

You really captured the latin feel. Very nice piece, great playing! really enjoyable.

This is one of the best renditions I've heard for this piece. I kid you not. Really liked it.

Wow, you sure master the honky tonk. Though I must say, there is something unique about your style, like a rare combination of several styles.

Very nice performance, you bring out the voices very well, nice touch and dynamics. Very enjoyable!
One can really feel what this piece means to you by listening to it. Very sentimental.

Thank you for introducing this piece. It sounds very tricky with all these voices. Nicely done!

Very nice playing!
10. Jazztpt - Zero
This is amazing. I just love this style. Had to listen one more time. OK, two. Alright, I need to go on to listen to the rest of the pieces here...:) On a side note - what a beautiful piano sound. I wouldn't have guessed it's a digital.

I remember listening to a previous recording of this piece you shared here (which was already quite good). This is better, very sweet sounding. You have a great ability to maintain a steady pulse (without sounding 'metronomic' at all).

Sounds like a very tricky piece. You gave it a very distinct dance feel. Nicely done!

Very nice playing Moo, very nice flow of the piece
Absolutely amazing. I really hope you perform publicly. I know I would happily go to see you play if I had the chance. Wonderful pieces as I would expect from Satie.

15. Serge88 - Daniel
Great playing! I love this style!

Great playing!

Very nicely played!

Wow. I was really moved by this. Great performance!!

Very flowing performance!

Very good performance. You capture the classical feel successfully! Sounds virtuosic.

Very nicely played!
22. ralph L. - Nostalgy
Nice piece. Reminds me of Gary Moore. Very nice playing!

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily
Yes, we need more entries like this. Really enjoyable!

24. Peterws - Daydreams
Man, I couldn't follow what you wrote in the description. Anyway, really nice piece! Really like your style.

Very sensitive playing!
Very entertaining! I wonder how you managed to record the px-160 directly, I thought it only had a midi output.

Very magical piece! Again, it's so nice to see original pieces here.

Very nice piece and playing! This recital gives me quite an exposure to Einaudi's music

29. Animisha - Angelfish
What a nice little piece! Really great playing, very precise, very polished! Great work

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Very moving. Great playing. The combination of this sensitive piece, and the tough circumstances makes it impossible not to be affected emotionally. I refuse to believe this is the end, and hope you stay with us for many more happy years. You deserve it.

I hope to post the rest soon, I've already listened to some of them but I want to give them a proper listen.
Posted By: Qwerty53

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 02:33 AM

I hope, Monica, that you are enjoying all of the music and feeling warmed and supported by the gratitude we feel for all you have done to make PW a great community.

I intend to comment on everyone’s contribution, and I will start near the end of the queue:

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999 A beautiful, stately rendition; Bach can sound so majestic!

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 And then Bach can sound so sprightly! A lovely, lively performance.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 What a wonderful choice for this recital. Played with skill and heart: a real treasure.

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major This sounds just beautiful. Your playing conveys the sense of – I will call it inevitability – that I love about so much of Bach’s music.

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi I loved your story about overhearing Clementi at the music store. Your joy in this music comes through in the first two movements; hope you will share the 3d sometime! I remember not-really-learning the first movement over 50 years ago; I worked on the 2d movement last winter, and hope to return to the third movement some time.

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche You really convey the rushes of emotion that Einaudi evokes; I can hear why so many people love playing his music.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde Simply beautiful. I could float away on this gentle, powerful wave.

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649 Lovely Purcell! Hard to believe you have only been playing for a few months. What a great start you have made!

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 This feels like another sequence of gorgeous waves. I like your tempo.

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2 Not sure what Piano Tiles might be, but I love your version of Bach!

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine Nicely sensitive playing of this lovely, wistful piece.

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor Sam, so glad you shared music – yet another face of the ineffable Bach! -- as well as all your hard work behind the scenes to keep this recital going. And you shared a bit of music history as well!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 05:05 AM

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 A lovely, gentle side of Bach; your use of dynamics makes it especially rewarding. Well done.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 What a great piece of music; I hope I may get there one day. Despite a few rough edges it was a good listen; you played it with panache.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 Well played! These “little” preludes are challenging.

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' Beautiful piece, so much emotion. Beautifully played.

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues Nice job on this fun piece!

45. Claudemir Medeiros - Nocturne op 15 n 3 A good start on this beautiful work; it is coming along well.

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind var. 1 Well done you; good job on this Einaudi.

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848 Thanks for the lovely introduction to this piece that is unfamiliar to me.

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a) This sounds wonderful for someone who has been playing less than two years. It is fun to bring new music to your teacher, isn’t it?

49. initK - Dream a little dream of me Aw, I love this song! I can just hear Mama Cass singing it: “sweet dreams till sunbeams find you; sweet dreams, and leave all worries behind you.” Yes. Nicely played!

50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7 Short, sweet, poignant.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 05:53 AM

30. Monica K. - Ascent It has been so lovely to hear your soulful playing. I have listened to this performance three times. Thank you for sharing so much with your PW community.

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major This is simply beautiful. I didn’t know I liked Scriabin, but now I do!

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme Charming, nicely played! Hmm, maybe I should go see that La La Land movie.

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate What a romp! A fun and vivid piece, which you played with great style!

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) Lovely glimpse of Schumann’s forest inn; thank you for your wonderful playing.

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag What a fine performance of this excellent piece! My toes are tapping for sure. (And what a beautiful piano!)

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 Yes, this is a beautiful piece, and you played it beautifully.

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute Wow, very impressive that you and your musical collaborator were able to transcribe this music and make it your own.

38. Ganddalf - Habanera Ah, lovely music by a composer I have never heard of: a win! Thanks for sharing this work by Halffter.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) Okay, that’s me, in the only take that didn’t have major flubs, but it was less expressive than some of the takes that imploded. Oh well, work in progress! Thank you for kind comments.

More comments to come! But not tonight....

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 10:43 AM

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate Boundless energy and enthusiasm - I worried that your keyboard stand would give way. smile You really nailed the contrasts from fff to pp and back: that was ‘pirate perfect’.

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) Lovely dynamics and touches of staccato in this pretty piece. I really enjoyed your performance.

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag I think this provided us all with toe-tapping cheer … great work, Jason!

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 Gentle and melodious - what an appealing choice. You had just the right touch, and your playing certainly did it justice.

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute Playing from a score - even getting hold of a score - would be particularly difficult with such complex jazz arrangements. That was marvelous.
Posted By: Ido

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 11:07 AM

beautiful!

Great playing, I really liked it!

Very cheerful playing!

Great piece and really good playing!! Love the pic you chose for the video

Very solid rendition!

Sounds amazing! GREAT playing

38. Ganddalf - Habanera
This is very nice! Great playing!

Wow. I really like this piece, thank you for introducing it. You played it wonderfully.

Great playing!! sounds really good

One of my favorite pieces. Very nice rendition!

Very nice rendition! I'd consider using more flexible timing and more pronounced dynamics, but that's a matter of taste

Very nice playing!

Very nice, swingy feel

Very nice playing! Nice piece

Very good playing, and very good use of dynamics!
I also liked the piano sound!

Very delicate touch! beautiful

Beautiful piece. Loved your playing

Nice playing:)

Nice! I wanted it to go on

Very nice! Sounds like a tricky piece

Very nice playing! I didn't like the sound though

Very delicate playing! The distinction you create between the hands is really impressive.

No, it's not too bad:)

I'd say you should tackle it at a much slower tempo and work it up from there. Sorry if this sounds harsh...

Very good playing, great sound. I might end up playing some Einaudi pieces after this recital...

57. Morodiene - Le Onde
The first thing that came to my mind when you started playing is that it sounds like waves. Later I understood that this is what the title means. Great smile

Nice! I like this piece

This is a great tempo. Very good!

I initially didn't read the title, and thought it was another Einaudi piece.
Great playing!

Very nice piece and playing! I liked the contrast in dynamics. I'd shorten the pauses in order to maintain the flow of the piece - but that's a matter of preference.

Very nice! Liked the pulse of the piece. Very ballsy, 'decisive' tone.

Well, that's it then. Thanks everyone for sharing their performances as well as listening to mine. I got to know many interesting pieces!! Very inspiring.
And thank you Sam for making it happen.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 11:34 AM

Another great collection of music to listen to.

Still recognisable as Bach, but not quite the usual. I kind of feel like you have given it two different voices having a conversation with each other. Well done.

Closest thing I can come to technical feedback is I would get some nice recording equipment to do your piano and your playing justice. Such an interesting complex piece with gravitas well played. It would be nice to hear your recording do it justice. Also solidarity for the year of 2018 returners.

Really nicely played. It sounds simple, but Bach likes to play his games. It is lovely.

I love how you play the melody over the support. This is beautiful to listen to.

Your sweating and swearing at the piano paid off. This is great, I love the feel you have given it.

Really enjoyed this, really hoping to get to learn this one myself sometime in the distant future.

Yet another Chopin Nocturne I want to learn. Really lovely interpretation you have given this. I love the clear melody.

Well played. A lovely piece.

Loved it as the melody kicks in. Such a nice clear sound. Well played. Nice handling of the awkward rhythms in this piece.

Lovely, a sweet piece played well.

This is beautiful. You play it so well, making it your own and away from the typical Bach sound.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 02:04 PM

Some early morning Sunday listening (so enjoyable)

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919) Fascinating pieces, love listening to your playing.

15. Serge88 - Daniel What a great version of this!

16. Claudemir Medeiros - Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov Well done, nicely balanced.

17. joangolfing - Who Is He? Very uplifting, enjoyed listening.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 Impressive, moving, wonderfully played.

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 This is a beautiful piece indeed, and you played it so well.

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement This was great, indeed some really super work.

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor I love this waltz, well done!

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy Really nice, love the delicate touch at the end.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily Wow, this was really great.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 02:53 PM

First, thank you for all the kind comments regarding my performance.

Continuing:

Truly beautiful piece, terrific interpretation. I still have to learn my first Einaudi piece and I wasn`t planning on starting with this one, but after listening to your performance I am having second thoughts.

Wonderful performance, such a beautiful, delicate piece. When I am ready to play Chopin’s nocturnes I will probably start with this one. Thanks for the inspiration.

Well done, you handled those big chords, the pedaling and the dynamics very well. It sounds that you have much more than just 17 months of experience in the piano.

Such a nostalgic piece. Very nice arrangement and you played it well. I just think that maybe the left-hand in the middle section could be played a little softer.

Ah, I love this prelude. It is short and sweet. I really liked your interpretation, being at a slightly slower tempo than most performances you can feel the music “breathing”.

This is a very nice piece, the whole collection of little preludes is great. I enjoyed listening and I think you got the tempo right and I also liked the more mellow feeling that you were able to convey. The one thing I think it is missing is the dynamic contrast, emphasizing the parts with build up tension and the resolutions. Bach didn’t write any dynamic markings, but to add those in the appropriate moments is part of a great interpretation.

Well played! I like how you shaped the phrases, the choice of articulation and the dynamics. Very nice.

Ah, I just love this piece so much. What can I say about your interpretation, you just nailed it. The left hand played softly all the time, the pedaling connecting the right notes, the cantabile melody with expressive dynamics. Amazing! I hope I can play this one someday. I am currently playing the 2nd consolation, maybe I will try the 3rd afterward, but those polyrhythms scares me.

This is one of my favorite inventions. I am used to hearing it at a much higher tempo, but the way you played it really works. You have a nice touch and the balance between the two voices was really good, I enjoyed listening to your interpretation.

I played this piece in my first recital, not too long ago. I’ve played it so many times and my teacher was very demanding regarding the quality of my interpretation, so I understand the many challenges in these pieces (all 3 movements) and I can relate to some of the issues in your playing.
I am going to be honest with you, I think you still need to do some work to polish this piece. In the first movement, you need to make sure that the rhythm of the 8th notes is even and that all notes are being played, some are failing or being played too softly. Studying with the metronome at a slower tempo can be helpful. The second movement, I like it way slower, which is a matter of opinion, but the cantabile touch is necessary. You need to work on the dynamics, making sure that the left hand is played softly and that the melody sings in the right hand. Also, pay attention to the slur lines delimitating the phrases, it is not one big phrase, you need to convey a sense of separation between those.
Anyway, please don’t feel discouraged about my comment, I am trying to be helpful. Learning new pieces can be challenging, but most of all, playing the piano should be a pleasant experience. Make sure to have fun and enjoy it.

I will comment the last bach later.
Posted By: Sam S

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 03:02 PM

Another great recital! I'm going backwards, classical stuff only. Except I will start with Monica:

30. Monica K. - Ascent You make it seem so easy, even though I know you are not at your best. Such a sensitive and delicate touch! You have meant a lot to Piano World and especially the Adult Beginners Forum. It will be difficult to carry on without your participation and guiding hand, but I will do my best to keep the recitals running smoothly. Wishing you all the best.

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 Love the waves of sound that wash over as I listen. I like this tempo - too many people rush it. Excellent.

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649 Really good for only 5 months experience. Keep up the good work!

57. Morodiene - Le Onde I can't tell that you rushed - you did much better than I could have. Wonderful.

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche I love the way this on starts slowly, then picks up momentum. Well done.

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi Love your story! You should be glad they weren't playing a Chopin Ballade - that would be a hard act to follow. Lots of spirit and dash!

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major Bach can be so many things to so many people. Your take is legato and subdued - it works!

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 Very convincing - I like this tempo - it works! Wonderful balance between the hands. Well done,

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 Very smooth and controlled. I like the slight separation between notes. Excellent.

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999 Yes, that is your take on it! Maybe a little too much sustain for me. But it sounds great - Bach can be whatever you want him to be!

50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7 We're not to old to play Chopin, are we? This is great for only 3 years experience - well done!

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a) Now there's an under-represented composer in the recitals. I've played some Reicha, but you don't see him much. Well done!

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848 Definitely a bittersweet feeling - wonderful interpretation!

45. Claudemir Medeiros - Nocturne op 15 n 3 OK, is that a chicken in your video? Mascot? Very nice playing - I'm sure the chicken loved it as much as I did!

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' Very professional?

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 I thought I had a problem with your recording, but it turned out to be me! I need to get my hearing aids adjusted. Well done - I love these little preludes!

More to come!

Sam
Posted By: ShiroKuro

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 03:18 PM

I have been listening to the recital repeatedly while doing various chores etc. and it's really truly wonderful!! Several people I find myself listening to twice in a row, so I'll try to comment on those soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to thank MarieJ, Balezin Dmitry, Qwerty53, joangolfing, Ido, and Sam for your kind words about my submission! smile

And, Sam, trying to make the momentum build was one thing I was aiming for, so thank you for saying that! It's tricky because a lot of the time, I get carried away doing that and the notes run out of my fingers in a jumble! So it's always a balance between the momentum and the control to avoid wrong notes.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 03:39 PM

Eh bien, off we allez (been watching The Tour)

21 Peter Hontaru

Nice playing, and a novel way to show it. I think the P could've been better presented audibly somehow, though. They are decent digitals. Brilliant idea. Well done!

22 ralph L

This has come out good. Decent balance, and steady playing contribute to a70s easy listen experience. I know all about the 70s. haha

23 Riddler

Always good to hear you, Ed, Great sound on this classic, which also has that easy listen, feelgood American style which the TV has used often, to set the mood for what follows.

25 Snejana

I guess vagabonds don't have too much to laugh about. I was talking to a tramp (gentleman of the road) in Windermere a few years ago after a bike trip. Called Andrew, he was educated, but very shy, reserved. Too, I think he preferred his own company, but we shared a seat and a sausage bun. And a laugh.
He certainly wasn't unhappy, though. He liked people watching, as I do.
Nearly forgot about your song. (sorry!) A different world from tolerant, brash Windermere; a battle to survive the hostilities let alone smile. You captured the forlorn, no hope mentality well.

26 Jotur

These songs make me uncomfortably aware of my age. Used to play this loads of times for the punters in the working men's clubs in my town. happy memories (and yes, I was sick o' the bloody song!)
Enjoyed this, Cathy! You gave it OOOOMPH!

27 Jazzyprof

Interesting to hear the different pianos in these recitals. Your song has a nice lilting feel to it and the sound is good. Aye, lad. She'll like it.

28 Bsharp Cyclist

Haven't encountered too much Einaudi yet, so I can appreciate this more. Very nice. It does sound sweet on your big piano.

29 Animisha

Splendid! From that little piano, and from you. Most excellent little tune! Too short, lass.

30 MonicaK

A beautiful piece, full of charm. Take care, Monika.

Tea time. Me and 'Er fancy something quite unhealthy for a change. I'm nursing a grade 1 and a half Hamstring (gotta slow up now!) so . . .it'll be with Skinny Fries. I fancy fish in batter with curry sauce. Oh YES!!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 04:24 PM

Some morning listening over my second cup of coffee, and then it’s back to the piano to practice with renewed inspiration and encouragement!

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement This sounds beautiful and you played it well. I can hear the spaciousness of the church where you recorded: very nice.

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor Great progress; fun to see and hear your transition as you improved this (not easy!) piece.

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy Although I am not a big fan of backing tracks, I think you did a great job with this piece.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily So impressive that you had only a lead sheet to guide you. It sounds wonderful. (I remember seeing that movie, although most of the plot was lost on me at that age!)

24. Peterws - Daydreams What a nice sequence of jazzy material, leading to these daydreams. Sounds beautiful.

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond So interesting the way you combine pieces into a story. You play with great feeling and delicacy on these two works.

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose Played with great verve, Cathy. Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be!

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams I enjoyed this very much; good writing, good playing, good piano, good recording!

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni Very dreamy piece, well played. I had to look it up: I Giorni means The Day.

29. Animisha - Angelfish Another beautiful, dreamy piece. I can just imagine the beautiful angelfish drifting in bright waters.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 04:50 PM

Another bunch, random order

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk Beautiful, Ellen, as always!

02. Peyton - For Monica Original? Nice! That really sounded professional quality. Absolutely loved it. Needs to be released officially!

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba cool piece, a lot of movement. Reminded me of my favorite Piazzolla piece. Well played.

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music Nice playing on short notice. Sounds like a lot of chords there.

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses Very well done, enjoyed the video as well, good dynamics. Solid.

10. Jazztpt - Zero Love these jazz tunes, thanks for posting it!

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3 Long tough piece. The melody rose up nicely. I wonder if you could soften the L so it gently flows a little more? Don’t know. Above my grade!

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor well done, nice transition video

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy Sounded nice, enjoyed it.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily Fun and interesting as always.

24. Peterws - Daydreams Really nice. I’m no longer afraid of the black keys smile.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 Very nicely played, as always, Liz!

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 Great playing on a minute's notice upon return from vacation. I'm working on these now as well.

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' I liked this one, and the distinction between the first run through and the repeat were nice.

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues Very nicely played.

45. Claudemir Medeiros - Nocturne op 15 n 3I haven't tried this one, but I'm sure any nocturne is a tough piece. Good job getting through it.

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848 Two nocturnes back to back! Very good playing.

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a) Liked that a lot. It was a slow piece, probably not that difficult, but you achieved a very nice tone, and smooth transitions, good tempo and time. Keep it up!

49. initK - Dream a little dream of me Nice playing, thanks for sharing.

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche Nicely played!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 06:19 PM

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen This is on my “for later” list. Beautifully played!

12. MeganR - BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor I loved reading about how you attacked I mean practiced this piece! Excellent results: it sounds great.

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3 Oh do I love the opening of this piece; it is so urgent, telling us to listen! Listen! And you played it with great feeling. I liked your performance a lot.

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919) Great to hear these. I have been a Satie fan since the band Blood Sweat and Tears used the melody from first Gymnopedie in the late 1960s: Gymno-what? Erik who? This led my friends and me to a world of wonderful music. Thanks for sharing these beautiful Nocturnes.

15. Serge88 - Daniel I liked how you played this, with a gently mournful air.

16. Claudemir Medeiros - Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov It may be considered the “easiest” Beethoven sonata but it is Beethoven! You did well with this ambitious piece. Maybe if I kept a mascot on my piano? Hmm...

17. joangolfing - Who Is He? Sounds lovely; very peaceful and meditative.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 Very dramatic! Somehow that piano (and the stories you tell about it) makes it sound even more dramatic. Your playing really delivers this piece.

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 So interesting to hear two versions of this piece. Very different feel, more meditative. Nice work!
Posted By: Sam S

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 07:51 PM

Some more comments - skipping around while going backwards.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 This is my favorite Brahms too - one of these days I will get around to it. The polyrhythm in the middle was great. Don't fret about the recordings - I know it's just a work-in-progress.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 Very smooth - I think you have a great feel for this. Loved it!

38. Ganddalf - Habanera Very cool - sort of laid back but rhythmic at the same time.

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 Very clean and precise - no nerves? Loved it!

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Awesome!

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) I either don't remember this or never heard it before - great!

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate OK, the candles are a nice touch, did you also have on a pirate shirt? Loved it!

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major Very moody and mysterious - must be Scriabin! Great job!

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond The medleys are working well. It helps to have your "program" of what you were thinking of - well done!

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor Cool - you faked me out by changing pianos! How did you keep the same tempo? Well done!

More to come!
Sam
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 07:59 PM

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Beautiful. Peaceful. Poignant.
May your music always be your friend, wherever you go!

The following is focused on the classical works submitted:

Flawless playing, but I think you should have moved that lamp away from the foreground of the picture.

Excellent.

Very sure and steady execution. My gut tells me that I would have played it a bit more softly, but given that it is a dance your choice may well be the appropriate one.

Very nearly perfect; a touch more, and you could give the pro's a run for their money.

Beautiful rendition. I would have moved the microphone closer to the piano.

A long and complex piece carried elegantly to the end; very impressive! I would probably use a softer downstroke on the melody (that is: if I could at all play such an advanced work smile )

That was played with a lot of sensitivity; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brilliant.

Sure, and engaging performance. That piano has great bass for an upright.

Very smooth. Nice left-hand trills, and nice gentle touch throughout.

What a complicated and fast-paced piece, and very expertly executed. I'm duly impressed.

Well played. Interesting video.

I think you captured the spirit of the piece exactly. Nicely played! But the sound itself was a little muffled.

Nice sensitive performance.

Very elegant and polished.

You've definitely played that one before! smile Very sure and precise rendition.

That was a good performance; you made Bach sound good (which I don't think all pro's do).

You had a really nice sensitive "feel" for the music. Once you've polished it, it will be great.

Flawless.

Excellent. The melody voice was really subdued relatively to what I am used to; that gave the piece an unusual melancholic character. Very interesting.

Calm and tender, with just the right trace of sadness.

Very serene. I think you nailed it.

Very nice. A touch slower than I would have gone for, but it worked well.

Great speed. I like your dynamics changes.

Pure listening pleasure.

Well played!

You've got fast fingers; the first part had a murderous tempo.

Good to hear some nicely played Purcell!

Oh, so delicate, and very polished. And a lush piano sound too.

Having just done a "Little prelude" myself, I am in awe of the breakneck speed in your performance. Inspiring!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 08:49 PM

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk Beautifully played, very soulful. What an auspicious beginning to a special PW recital.

02. Peyton - For Monica A beautiful composition. I also appreciated your notes on the dedication.

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba A wonderful change of mood; I love this!

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20 A somber, beautiful piece that you played very well. I hope no one complains about your honest edit; too bad about the siren! If my cat yelled at me during a good take, I might just leave her voice in as evidence of my ability to concentrate (or not!).

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967) What stylish playing by Teenage Ted! Great fun, especially Dad’s Blues. Are these your own compositions, or was that someone else’s Uncle Lionel?

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940 Good for you to be playing Bach so well at this stage of your piano journey!

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song Lovely and peaceful; beautiful playing.

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music Nice job on keeping an even keel with the Water Music!

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses I love it too. Is this your own arrangement? Very nice!

10. Jazztpt - Zero Such pleasing music for my Sunday afternoon listening. I especially like the section where you had a change of tempo about halfway through.

I am simply amazed at the talent on display in these recitals! Well done everyone!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 08:57 PM

31 tjbron

Very sweet sound. Scriabin certainly appears to like his intertwining melodies. Nice Job!

32 Mosotti

A big sound yet with loads of expression. You've worked well on this.

33 Balezin Dmitry

I liked this as soon as you started up on it. You've a lot of talent here, and your music is sweet and powerful.

34 Jobert

Love Schumann. He does some exquisite stuff. I like this, good job here, man. You lot have all the best composers. We have Vaughn Williams and Paul McCartney . . .

35 Jason Lenthe

Excellent! Your piano is totally lovely. Those top notes sound deliberately de-tuned . . . there's so much vibrancy and enthusiasm in this. Great stuff.

36 Ido

You do a good job on this. Couldn't fault the video version; well done.

37 Greener

Wonder if Bach would appreciate this kind o' thing? He must. Who knows what disharmonies and progressions he concocted (but never published) when he'd had a few? Wonderful if someone unearthed some. . . .Very involved, but lovely work here Jeff.

38 Ganddalf

This is nicely moving tango which never made it to the Blighty Dance-floors. Great lilt you give it with your usual verve.

39 Qwerty53

Brilliant quality sound from your piano, and some of the chords you're playing here are lovely.

40 timmyab

I like very much what you do here. The quality of sound belies it's digital origin. This is good playing and chugs along steadily.

I'll save this and go, before another disaster befalls me . . . .

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/18/19 09:29 PM

And the last collection from me. What a recital. I hope Monica has had the chance to dip into listen to some of the pieces.

Another Bach, you kept the faith of keeping to a very bach style, really well played and I liked how it sounds. I really enjoyed the contrast with QuasiUnaFantasia bach piece.

Simply beautiful. What a fantastic sound you extract from your piano. I'm interested to know what your setup is to achieve such a delightful sound.

Another Bach. Did I miss out on the memo that this was a Bach themed recital. Luckily there is so much interest to Bach pieces. Well played.

Good luck with your search for a new piano, I am on that same search.

This sounds very familiar to me, like I played it as a child which I am sure I must of.

What a lovely feel you gave this piece. Such sensitivity.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde

Another Einaudi. All of the Einaudi pieces have been great choices and played so sensitively. Just like this one. There is no hint of this being done as a quick study. Everything feels under control.

This is a sweet tune played nicely. How well you have done for only being at it for 5 months.

This could be an Einaudi if Einaudi had lived during the piano romantic era. A great interpretation.

You have really made this piece your own. Really well played.

A really interesting modern composition. The start feels more like raindrops on the Seine. But whatever the title it works. A lovely sound.

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor (to do)

And we finish with Bach. Such complexity handled clearly handled well with skilled hands. A really interesting piece to listen to.
Thanks Sam so much for making the effort to do what is necessary to keep the recitals happening.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 02:02 AM

What a clever idea to show how things progress from home to practice room to recital playing! For one year of experience you are certainly playing competently. Well done!

24. Peterws - Daydreams
Peter, your description fits my humble attempts at jazz improvisation much better than it fits your piece! It does indeed have a dreamy feel, with gently rocking rhythms and coherent narratives. Well done!

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose Cathy, nicely played, with spirit. Just what old geezers like me need to hear!

Ed
Posted By: Ted

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967) What stylish playing by Teenage Ted! Great fun, especially Dad’s Blues. Are these your own compositions, or was that someone else’s Uncle Lionel?

Thanks Qwerty, yes, all my own pieces. Dad's Blues was one of a number of pieces I wrote for my father to play, and yes, Lionel was my uncle.
Posted By: Terry Michael

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 02:51 AM

What a fun recital. Thanks to all of those that put so much effort into coordinating this event. My 2 cents below:

01. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Walk - very pretty piece and emotionally played!

02. Peyton - For Monica - Very heartfelt and a beautiful dedication.

03. mel_lem (Melanie) - Tico-Tico no fuba - That was a great 'pick me upper'. Nicely played too. Thanks for introducing me to this fun piece!

04. facdo - Prelude in C minor - Op. 28 No. 20 - Gotta love Chopin. smile Lots of spirit and emotion went into your playing. I may put this on my list of 'to do's'!

05. Ted Jones - Medley (1967) - Ah. A good ole analog recording from yesteryear. Nice medley. I especially enjoyed "Dad's Blues".

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940 - Your bolder than me. Diving right into Bach while very early in your piano years. I loved it. I thought it was well played too. I end every practice session with a little Bach but I never seem to 'nail' it.

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song - This was a treat. I love Olafur's work. Beautifully prepared piano sounds he dreams up too. Very nice dedication too. Very emotional.

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music - I'm listening to Audio books on Handel's life right now and loving them. I liked this piece. I think you did a good job of making the melody come out.

09. Jerzyk19 - La Vie En Roses - A very pretty piece and nicely played and arranged.

10. Jazztpt - Zero - Very cool original tune! Darn, that Roland HP507 sounds sweet.

11. KevinM - Von Fremden Laendern und Menschen - Has to be in my top 5 Schumann favs. I loved your playing of this piece.

12. MeganR - BWV 942 Prelude in A Minor - Your description of your dialogue between you and your teacher sounds exactly what I go through with Bach! What a challenge he is. Your Spinet has a very charming sound it!

13. Moo smile - Impromptu opus 90 no 3 - I'm used to hearing this piece at a faster tempo but I liked your performance. I actually prefer a lot of pieces a bit slower than what is often played. Weight wise maybe the melody could be a tad softer? At over 7 minutes - what an accomplishment!

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919) - Oh. Playing Satie must be divine on a baby grand. smile I liked these pieces a lot. I have not delved into Satie very much but I should. At 2:24 the piece truly takes on a magical feel. Very nicely and delicately played.

15. Serge88 - Daniel - Nice to see some Elton John here. I'm very surprised at the diversity of tunes on the recital. Nicely played. I see what you mean about the tempo. Playing it slower does change the piece a tad but it still has a nice 'vibe'.

16. Claudemir Medeiros - Sonata op 49 n 2 - 2 mov Not much Beethoven on the recital. Great piece. Thanks for sharing.

17. joangolfing - Who Is He? - A very nice Hymn. And from the composer who gave us "Jolly Old Saint Nick") Mom's favorite Christmas song. Very peaceful. Thanks for sharing.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3 Dark! (I LOVE dark) Wow. Listen to that LOW end. Gorgeous. Great piece by Rachmaninov. Nicely played!

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 - I would love to learn this Schubert piece some day. And you've only been playing a brief time. Well done! You must play every day.

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement - Such a pretty and yet bold Sonata. I loved it. Beyond my level. Is it just me or does the second half feel a bit more 'refined'?

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor - A great Waltz. Always loved the repetition of the main theme (1:28-1:43) and its variations.

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy - Had to look up this composer and he's been touring since '79. Very pretty piece. I thought the bass and perc. were a tad loud. The piano is gorgeous.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily - Very pretty jazz piece by one of may favorite TV guys (Johnny Mandel). Nicely played! Thanks for sharing.

24. Peterws - Daydreams - Very dreamy. Allows one's imagination to fill in the blanks. Fun improvisations. Nice choice for reverb too. Works really great on this piece. It doesn't smother the piece and yet gives it just enough etherealness.

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond - Very creative. Love your story. I'm a french film enthusiast so I am no stranger to sad endings. smile I loved how you meshed the two pieces. Your combination of Bela Bartok and Dmitri Kabalevsky is pretty seamless.

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose - Always such a FUN tune! Loved it.Thanks for sharing.

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams - Love seeing original Compositions here! A very interesting piece. It has a very slight sense of loss to it and yet is still retains its 'dream spirit' feel. I don't hear pieces like this very often to be honest. I remember some of James Newton Howard's REAL early work and that's the closest I can relate it to.

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni - I have to confess i'm not a huge Einaudi fan but if I had a piece of his to learn THIS would be the one. I loved your playing of this. Very emotional and sincere. Lovely.

29. Animisha - Angelfish - That was too SHORT! Very very pretty. Another composer I had to look up. And she's also a harpist. (one of my favorite instruments)

30. Monica K. - Ascent - Lovely. Just lovely. I feel whisked away on a journey at 2:27 -2:59.

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major Welcome back to playing after your 20 year hiatus. I went thru a similar stint. Scriabin is another composer I haven't really delved into but I really like this. Like you said, "Short and Sweet" . I love the harmonies. I think you played this really well, slowing down and speeding up very musically.

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme - Your Kawai MP11SE sounds great! Love that one. Beautiful theme. Heartfully played. I must check out more of Justin Hurwitz.

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate - Yay! A Hans Zimmer piece! FUN! I too hate that dreaded 'red dot'. You've inspired me to maybe make "The Holiday" (Hans Zimmer) my next recital piece. From 1:35-2:00 you need to just take off and let all the pirate in you out. Arrrrrrr

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) - That was lovely! You've been playing for awhile I'll bet. Bravo!

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag - LOVE it! Another wonderful 'pick me upper'. This piece will live on forever. Thanks!

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 - A truly lovely Handel piece. The legato lines have to be a challenge but you did it very well. Thanks for sharing this piece. And congrats on your new toy (Yamaha P515)!

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute - Ah. A bit of Jazz for the evening. Nice! Cool rhythms!

38. Ganddalf - Habanera - For some odd reason this piece sounds familiar to me although I'm not familiar with Ernesto Halffter. I liked this piece very much. Your playing is lovely.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) - Nice! a Dave Brubeck piece. Dad's favorite. Grew up listening to lots of his music. Very well played. I need to check out "Time In."

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 - Sinfonia no 11 is beautiful. You played this so well. You've been playing for a while for sure. Sounds really great on the Yamaha YDP S52 too.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 - Hey, is this going to be the ONLY J. Brahms piece? I love this piece. This deserves a better quality recording (not referring to your playing just the recording itself). Thanks for sharing the piece I think you played this very well.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 - I too always find Bach pieces are more challenging than they appear on the page. I enjoyed your playing (listened twice) Very consistent tempo. The piece is too short! smile It's late and Bach is perfect to listen to right now. smile

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' - Your piece feels so nostalgic. I really love the tone of your piano. Your playing is really good. You musicianship skills are great. Very emotional.

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues - Carefree and beautiful. Very nice playing.

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind var. 1 Beautifully played. And you haven't been playing long at all. Well done. I can feel the emotion. Yours was the first video I looked at. Beautiful imagery! The AvantGrand N1X sounds fabulous. [edit] I see you were using my favorite Spectrasonics program Keyscapes for the sound. awesome! That C7 is beautiful.

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848 Cool. Another Chopin! loved it! I think (could be off my rocker) but i think it was the last to be published.

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a) - I'm glad you got his piece green lit by your teacher. I think you did a great job. Played very well. I love hearing pieces I've never heard before. Your bringing out the top notes very well and the chords sound just right with the weight. (i'm horrible with that)

49. initK - Dream a little dream of me - A great classic tune. Loved it. It is a very pretty arrangement by Yiruma.

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999 - I feel you really did the piece (Kleines Praeludium) justice. I was really impressed. I liked the (Bechstein DG) Pianoteq 6.5. here.

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 - A very sprightly piece by the master. LOVED your ending!

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 - This piece I really want to learn. It is so beautiful. You played this lovely. Had to listen several times.

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major - LOVE your Steinway. Sounds fabulous! I loved your playing of this Invention. Thanks for putting more Bach into my day!

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi - ah - Clementi! That Sonatina always sounded like so much fun and playful to me. Must put this on my list. Keep up the good work!

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche - Nicely played. Along with (I Giorni) this would be my next favorite Einaudi. There is just something very 'visual' and uplifting about this piece.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde - Very pretty. I love the change in feel at 1:26. The music just 'flows' beautifully.

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649 - What a short and sweet Minuet by Purcell. I liked it! Keep up the good work!

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 - I don't know, I think the tempos great. Faster I think might ruin it? What a magical Debussy piece though. Really enjoyed your playing! Don't ever let this one go from memory.

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2 - Oh. This piece sounds hard. You played this really well! Thanks for sharing.

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine - Have to look up David Lanz. A very pretty piece. Soothing, relaxing. The CVP-301 is perfect!

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor - What a delightful Fantasie and great playing! I like your take on the genesis of the piece!
Posted By: Whizbang

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 03:12 AM

30. Monica K. - Ascent

Thank you, Monica. You really showed me your heart in that piece. You showed me your love for Einaudi. And you showed why Einaudi's music is beautiful.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 05:31 AM

@cmb13 thank you for taking the time to listen to my entry. I must consider the Prelude in E minor. It may just be within my grasp. smile

@Balezin Dmitry, Qwerty53, Ido and KevinM, thank you all for listening and the kind words.

@facdo and @QuasiUnaFantasia thank you both for listening. it is funny you both brought up the tempo. This piece I sent to my teacher (Hugh Sung) and I prefaced it with 'not being too sure about the tempo'. I think most play it faster but I kind of liked it a tad slower. But I think it is my lack of confidence and ability that kept it slow too.

@Sam S thank you for listening and all you've done for these recitals. I guess I'm not too old yet for more Chopin. Thanks for the kind words too.

This was a lot of fun. More than I had imagined. smile

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 05:41 AM

38. Ganddalf - Habanera Ganddalf, your idea of ‘not too demanding technically’ is relative - and that sounded a long way from ‘manageable’ to me! Interesting, and most enjoyable.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) My familiarity with Brubeck’s work is limited to his famous ‘Time Out’ album; I didn’t know that he also wrote Nocturnes. And how gentle and dreamy - that was lovely.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 A real gem, played with confidence and style. I’m envious - your trills were more than impressive!

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 I sympathise with your recording woes. The main reason I record on my digital rather than on my beloved C3 is because of constant construction noises from my once-peaceful suburban street, now undergoing ‘urban renewal’. Nice dynamics, well done!

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 Wow - this, after only a couple of days’ preparation? It didn’t sound like a ‘work in ‘progress’ to me; congratulations Barbara!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 11:09 AM

41 Associate X

Sounded well played, with nice light and shade. You did a nice job here on a hard piece.
There does appear to be a problem with the recording process. Closer mics needed, perhaps?

42 barbaram

I listened to this with interest since I've been cracking along wi the Inventions. Well.one actually, the first. It's taken a long time, but I'm really enjoying the momentum these things have. And yours too, has momentum and sounds intricate and pleasant. What's not to like?

43 Pika Pianist

This is a lovely piece, and a fitting nod to Chopin. I'll make a note of this; it's short but very sweet. Excellent.

44 Sinophilia

Relaxed blues equals time for a drink. Bit early for that right now . . . .you do play a decent variety of stuff. Best way imo; keeps things fresh. Well done on this, lass.

45 Claudemir Madeiros

You're doing well here with this sensitive piece. It sounds good but could use an authoritative touch, maybe?

46 Tyrone Slothrop

I think the AG machines were made to play Einaudi. . . Certainly an excellent job done here. You've utilised your skills with precision and skill. Nice nice!

47 Sandleholme

A nice choice played with poignancy. It sparkles when needed and has a richness in the deliberation. Sounded good.

48 Purrblast

It's always good to see guys doing so well after a short time. And seeing them, later, overtaking me! Haha You know what you're doing here, and you're doing it right, unhurried, a deliberation which'll lead on to greater things.

49 InitK

Good sound, and technique by the looks of things. You have a nice touch, but try being heavy handed now and again!

50 Terry Michael

Sounds from your description like Anno Domini is on the prowl! Welcome to the O. F. Club. There's always room, and you did very well. Never say never . . .

Time for Lunch. . . . what'll it be??
Posted By: barbaram

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 11:20 AM

I'm a little late getting started this time, here is my first set of comments:

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece with us Monica, your performance is exquisite. It’s so very sad to think this is likely to be your last one. I’m so grateful and appreciative of your work, wisdom, support and humour on this forum. I hope music brings you joy for as long as possible. We will all miss you greatly.

How fitting that we open with a Einaudi piece. This is not one of the ones I am familiar with. Your performance was really lovely.

02. Peyton - For Monica
This is a wonderful tribute to Monica, Peyton. I really enjoyed listening to it.

Super, I just loved the energy you gave this. A piece I’d love to learn myself some day, and if I can do it half as well as this I’ll be happy

First Chopin piece – exciting! This has a great drama and an appropriately sombre feel. Well done

Needless to say I especially appreciate the first of the medley, "Pretty Barbara" :-)
These are great, teenage Ted! Brimming over with joy and energy, thanks for sharing

I love this little prelude, I learned it earlier this year too. You’ve done a great job with it, well done

Beautiful Marie, I really enjoyed it

08. wouter79 - Bourree from Water Music
I know what you mean about the challenge of avoiding “blockiness” with chord based pieces like this. Your performance has a lovely brightness about it, and a nice pace that feels very appropriate – a certain stateliness but with enough movement too

Lovely song, lovely arrangement, lovely performance. A pleasure to listen to

10. Jazztpt - Zero
Great piece Jazztpt, I’m in awe of those who can compose and/or improvise *and* perform wonderfully. A lovely tribute to Monica

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 12:10 PM

I feel bad that I'm just not finding the time to sit down and listen to the recital... It's been one of those weeks.

But here is a start.

4. Facdo- This is always such a beautiful prelude to listen to and you do it justice. Well done. (Nicely recorded too)

7. MarieJ- what a lovely little piece. Kind of sad but sweet. You play it with wonderful emotion.

11. KevinM- One of my favorite of the short Schumann pieces. I always picture some children sitting and listening to an old sea captain telling stories of his many adventures. You play it perfectly!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 01:33 PM

51 Quasi una fantasia

I've never really encountered this sort of Bach played gently. It's more often like a rollicking train trip ending up pretty hard on the buffers. Well, that's what I try for, so this is a change.
So sweet, relaxing. Maybe it was meant to be this way, but on a harpsichord, shrug.
I enjoyed it nut would like to see a little ooomph in there somewhere!

52 ivojnic

Ha ha! I'm currently engaged in this one. Given up on the trills (a single extra note usually suffices) so it was good to hear them played here. Now, I liked the ending. It brought things to a climax. You might try to engineer this sort of approach to the whole passage; there's a natural light and shade to it, and some notes are indicated for extra pounding. But it was steady, great tempo, and a darn sight better than what I'm doing right now!

53 Richard zrt90

Nice job. You have that playing and recording sorted wonderfully. Expressive and tender; a left hand which is tireless; I can only wish.

54 Sam Rose

This is great. Not too harsh, flows, and it's very pleasant to the old ears. I'm loving these inventions, and it's wonderful to be a part of what's going on here. Your piano sounds real nice.

55 Ralphiano

I dunno if you used the PTq D on this but the comparison with the above is interesting. This has the sweetness, and your playing is quite steady and will improve with time. Sorry you don't like the sound. Wish you luck in your search.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 02:20 PM

56 Shirokuro

I'm constantly surprised at the quality you guys achieve on acoustic pianos. This is great, and you handle this so well giving it momentum and vitality.

57 Morodiene

Good to see you here again! Never heard this before. One might be forgiven for thinking you taught this stuff . . . .this piece'd fit in with the typical James Bond film ending; floating on the high seas safely cocooned with some young aspiring actress . . .

58 JJHLH

Good for you! This is going in the right direction. Nothing wrong with that . . . .Onwards and upwards!

59 Pathbreaker

I too, am trying to keep this one as part of my dwindling repertoire! My brain's fighting tooth and nail to retain those notes! I will NEVER give in! Beer has it's place.
Lovely work here; amid some awkward rhythms. Wouldn't like it any faster, it's great as it is. Might ha to try it out now, see if I remember . .

60 Mr Super-Hunkey

Good to see you here too! You were enticed to play the music, not buy the car?? Tsk tsk!
Nowt wrong wi this, lad. Like I like it. Bit o' Bite wi the Bach. This dog had plenty. And I couldn't think of anything better than that ending!

61 Handyman

Decent piece. Could you chug it along a tad, if you don't mind my saying? Very pleasant nonetheless. Your piano sounds good too.

62 SamS

Bach with all the attitude of a pit bull! I like it. A lot! The piano is strident, which probably helps. Most excellent.

Thanks guys. Enjoyed it all; heartfelt thanks to Monica without whose work I probably wouldn't be taking part here. Gottal go. SHE beckons . . . and she's here!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 03:28 PM

Very polished, great job. I love the harmonies that kick in around the 37 sec mark. If you are still working on it, the only comment I’d have is that the LH against the main theme could be restrained a little more so it competes less against the melody (which, to be fair, already sings out beautifully)

Aha, the eagle eyed amongst you will have deduced that if I submitted BWV 940 last time and BWV 941 this time, I must surely have my sights set on this one in the not too distant future!
Great performance, controlled, assured and balanced throughout. Something for me to aim for!

I was turned off Schubert by overexposure to “The Trout” in my teens, but pieces like this encourage me to open my mind to his work

Lovely rippling LH. Great change in mood just before the 3 min mark. Also love the section from around 4m 10 where you have the repeated RH note with descending LH harmony, very effectively done. Really well performed and sustained throughout, well done

I love the familiar Satie pieces that everyone knows, and it was a treat to be introduced to these unfamiliar nocturnes. Your performance is masterly, as always

15. Serge88 - Daniel
And now for something completely different! While I’m not an enormous Elton John fan I have to give him credit as a real pop piano master. Very enjoyable performance

Very well played, lovely flow and nicely balanced touch throughout

No airs and graces, a short and sweet musical moment for reflection, and in its simplicity lies its beauty

Your old piano has a very atmospheric sound, whatever its flaws may be!
Love the drama from just before the 2 min mark!

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 Another lovely Schubert piece forcing me to re-examine my anti-Schubert position (to be fair, this is a familiar piece but each time I hear it I am reminded anew how much I like it).
Spectacular performance for your relatively short time playing, well done

This is terrific, and I love it at this tempo. Lovely sound from that borrowed piano too

I was going to stop this batch at #20 but I was intrigued when I saw that you had captured your journey with the piece in your video so I just had to stretch to #21 :-)
This is a great performance. Even the first part on your home digital is very good for the length of time you have been playing, but it goes from strength to strength in the practice room and the recital in terms of dynamics, phrasing and all round musicality. Well done
Posted By: jotur

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 04:41 PM

19. WTM -Impromtu Nice piece, well-paced and nice dynamics

11. KevinM - Von Fremden... Lovely, so lyrical

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a Pirate I love it! Just the right attitude for a pirate - swashbuckling

49. initK - Dream a Little Dream What a nice lazy swing - perfect

4. facdo - Prelude So quiet and reverent - well done.

28. BSharp(C)yclisst - I Giorni This was so lush and fluid. You brought out the best in Einaudi.

12. MeganR - BWV Prelude Bach! Very playful. Apparently exploring all the different moods of this piece worked!

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song Beautifully and sensitively played. Perfect for the morning sun coming in my window.

23. Riddler - Emily I always look forward to your music. Your fluency with a lead sheet is wonderful, and this is top-notch music.

5. Ted Jones - Medley What fun! All we need is a silent movie, or cartoons!

24. peterws - Daydreams Your comments are SO stream of consciousness laugh I like this. You are so at home with your instrument.

36. Ido - Allemande You played with a very nice and delicate feel. I loved it.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly.. What a comptemplative piece, and you did it justice.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 04:50 PM

Thanks for comments. I know it's hard when I don't ask for technical feedback - what can you do? But here's some responses:

facdo - yeah, I heard the clipping smirk But I was just so fried I couldn't do one more pass laugh

MarieJ - I'm glad you heard the swing. This piece needs to be jaunty, I think.

KevinM - sad to uplifting - yup. She done left home - but I think she found her calling!

Balezin Dmitry - Singing! laugh laugh laugh Not by me, anyway - but maybe my brother could do it - he sings for a living. But it would be good, because the words tell such a story.

Ido - recording the PX-160. Besides midi it has a line out and 2 headphone jacks. When I'm playing with a band or somewhere there's a sound system I use the line out - it's sturdy and a better connection. But here I plugged one headphone jack into headphones, and given my other assortment of cables and what I found on the internet, I plugged the other into a cable with a USB connection on the other end and recorded thru Audacity. My PX-100 only had headphone jacks, and eventually plugging it into sound systems just wore them out, so this has been the best of both worlds.

More comments and responses to come!
Posted By: Handyman

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by peterws

61 Handyman

Decent piece. Could you chug it along a tad, if you don't mind my saying? Very pleasant nonetheless...

No, I don't mind you saying it, but it's probably not going to happen - getting "chugged along", that is - it's not a piece meant for chugging - instead it's autumnal ambience demands a much more leisurely stroll along the great river's edge, with an occasional "pregnant pause" here and there for contemplation and reflection - but I'm glad you managed to find it "decent" and 'pleasant' nevertheless...

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 07:58 PM

A bunch more

06. snowfox - Prelude in D minor - BWV 940 nice playing of this prelude

07. MarieJ - Tomorrow's Song That was a nice dedication, and nice playing. I may look up his site. Thanks.

14. Tim Adrianson - Three Nocturnes (1919) Lovely. I have this set but haven’t yet learned it. The Henle was so inexpensive that when I ordered some other things, I just threw it in the pack.

15. Serge88 - Daniel I agree it was a bit slow but nice nonetheless.

19. WTM - Will Mason - Impromptu no. 3 in G-flat Major, Op 90, D899 Ambitjous for 1 year of piano, but coming along nicely.

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement Good playing, glad for your breakthrough!

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond Fun to do a medley like this, and I liked the story that went with it, depressingly sad as it was. It brought it to life.

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose Great playing, Cathy! Amazing you’re playing in the nursing homes, so altruistic!

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams How nice of a piece that you wrote, great!

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni Good job, Dan, enjoyed it!

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major Very lovely piece, I liked it a lot. Will have to check them out.

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme You can count me among those that loved this movie. You did the piece justice, I really enjoyed your playing!

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) JoBert, I’m not all that familiar with this Schumann set, but it sounds nice. Keep it up!

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Wow, what energy! I'm tired just watching it! Nicely played! Liked the tidbit about the publisher in the video.

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 Very nice, pretty. OMG I think I'm beginning to like Baroque music. It took a while. Haven't tried any Handel yet though.

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute Very good, nice, jazzy tune. Sounds like you did a lot of work on this one and it shows.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) Brubeck is a master, no denying it! Nice job, I’d like to check these out one day.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 Very nice. I really liked it! The more I hear Bach, the more I like it. That’s why I’m struggling through it so much in my studies. This is very melodious. Very well played.

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649 Very good, you’re on your way!

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine That was nice. I was so fortunate to have the opportunity to walk the banks of the Seine this summer. So beautiful, with the Parisian architecture on both sides. I’d encourage anyone who hasn’t yet gone to check it out.
Posted By: Serge88

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 08:44 PM

49. initK - Dream a little dream of me (to do)
Nice tune, well played.

50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7 (to do)
Nicely done, keep up the playing.

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999 (to do)
Beautiful piece, very well played!

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 (to do)
You did an excellent job with this invention.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 (to do)
Well played.

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major (to do)
Nice bach !

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi (to do)
Your pianoteq sounds good to my ears and your playing is good too.

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche (to do)
This is an Einaudi recital ! Again wonderful playing.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde (to do)
I loved your playing !

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649 (to do)
I can't listen to your piece. "Video unavailable
This video has been removed by the user"

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 (to do)
Smooth, great playing.

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2 (to do)
Very beautiful, I like it.

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine (to do)
This was beautiful.

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor (to do)
Clean and nice interpretation.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Handyman

61 Handyman

Decent piece. Could you chug it along a tad, if you don't mind my saying? Very pleasant nonetheless...

No, I don't mind you saying it, but it's probably not going to happen - getting "chugged along", that is - it's not a piece meant for chugging - instead it's autumnal ambience demands a much more leisurely stroll along the great river's edge, with an occasional "pregnant pause" here and there for contemplation and reflection - but I'm glad you managed to find it "decent" and 'pleasant' nevertheless...

Haha Might have known someone'd bring emotion into this . . . . laugh
Posted By: Serge88

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/19/19 11:32 PM

38. Ganddalf - Habanera (to do)
I never heard of Halffter before, but nice piece !

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) (to do)
Smooth playing.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 (to do)
Nice piece, i don't hear any mistakes.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 (to do)
Good interpretation.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 (to do)
Another Bach Prelude, very nice.

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' (to do)
Very good playing.

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues (to do)
Nice Blues.

45. Claudemir Medeiros - Nocturne op 15 n 3 (to do)
Nicely played.

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind var. 1 (to do)
Nice piece and good phrasing.

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848 (to do)
Beautiful piece, well played!

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a) (to do)
Nice tune, well played.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 01:04 AM

The last batch of comments:

This piece was my introduction to Einaudi’s music and it still remains among one of my favorites that he composed. Your interpretation was wonderful, I really enjoyed listening. One day I will learn it and if I can play it as well as you did I will be happy.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde
Such a beautiful piece and you played it very well. I never played an Einaudi piece and after this recital, I am committed to learning one. Now I really don’t know which one to start with, after listening to so many wonderful recordings of Einaudi’s music.

I didn’t know this music, it is a simple, beginner-friendly piece that sounds great. You play it well. Nice progress for someone that has only 5 months of experience. It is great to see that you are learning pieces that are appropriate for your level, instead of rushing into more advanced pieces and delivering a poor/terrible interpretation, like so many stubborn beginners do (my self included). Keep up the nice progress.

Gorgeous, this is one of those pieces that are so mesmerizingly beautiful that brings me tears of joy almost every time I listen. Your interpretation was fantastic, I hope someday I can play it as good as you did.

Really nice music, you play very well and the melody starting at 1:23 is so nostalgic. I had to listen to it twice in a row because it was so good.

Beautiful piece, I like this kind of souring, sad yet hopeful, uplifting music. Your interpretation is very sensitive, I really enjoyed.

This seems like a very technically demanding piece and you handled it very well. I notice that you had a couple of moments of hesitation here and there, but that didn’t disturb the flow of the piece at all. Well done!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 01:54 AM

57. Morodiene - Le Onde I loved it! Wonderful phrasing and movement.

2. Peyton - For Monica What a nice tribute! Nice movement, and such assured playing.

17. Joan Golfing - Who Is He? I love that old 4-part hymn style. When I was a kid even the congregation sang in 4-part harmony. I'm not sure that happens anymore. Well done.

4. Sam S - Fantasie You must be so pleased w/ the results of your, apparently, great studies over the last several years (ok, ok, I know all of us think we're not as good as we are). This was so fun - I love the left and right chasing their tails and each other - sort of Tom and Jerry-like! Well done.

51. QuasiUnafantasia - Praeludium This was great. I love that bass melody - what a perfect balance you had between that and the arps!

50. Terry Michael - Prelude Well done. You obviously were inside the music.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude Perfect Bach! I love Bach and this entertwined all the parts very pleasantly.

15. Serge88 - Daniel I don't know the tune (gasp!) so the tempo worked for me. Very confidently played.

9. Monica K. - Ascent You take such care with your music - it's always been an inspiration to slow down and pay attention - you show such respect for the music and your audience. This was lovely, as usual, and so atmospheric. Einaudi must be pleased to have someone like you sending his music out into the world.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 02:04 AM

Some more thanks and responses:

Riddler - Geezer! Are you talking about me?!? Yup, I play geezer music laugh And the liveliness mostly keeps me awake, tho I did take a 3-hr nap today. Darn allergies. I told some memory care folks once that I loved playing for them because I play their music, which is mostly from before I was born (tho not this one) and the reply was "Rub it in." laugh

Terry Michael and peterws - yes, this is great fun to play, but I can sure see getting sic of it if I play it very often - such fluff! But it perks everybody up fast laugh

cmb13 - hm. altruistic. Well, I gave up being nice when I turned 50, and, at 73 and retiring, I just gave up wanting to be useful. So, really, altruistic is only a small part of the motivation - I just get more from the audience than they get from me, and it's such fun. (And just for the other 20 years between giving up stuff - I gave up drinking when I was 30. All of them were the best thing I've ever done laugh )

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 08:16 AM

@jutor maybe I should have said, “that’s very selfish of you to entertain elders at a nursing home!” lol. No, sorry, I stand by my original sentiment! You’re a good person, like it or not. smile
Posted By: lvojnovic

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 09:13 AM

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 I like this one...I'm looking forward to hitting it one day. I'm trying to do Bach systematically, though, starting with the Little Preludes. Great job, very smooth.

I played 3 of his little preludes and a sarabande (Eb) from the French Suites. My current teacher insist on always having a Bach piece in the works, so I expect the list to grow faster now smile

I've seen you other topic about JSB being a sadist and I sometimes agree laugh. Especially when I start learning one of his pieces. There is almost always a steep learning curve in the beginning.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 10:55 AM

61 Handyman

Could you chug it along a tad, if you don't mind my saying?

The problem is that you started listening to the Recital submissions at the beginning instead of at the end...by the time you got to the 61st piece you were suffering from what many do here: chronic "audition fatigue" - you just simply wanted the whole tedious process to be over and done with - so you wanted my 5 minute piece to be done in 2 1/2...hence the "chugging along a tad" (BTW, not a traditional Italian tempo indicator as far as I can tell) - if you had started listening at the end your patience wouldn't have been exhausted and you probably would have asked me why I was chugging along at such a far too brisk tempo... wink

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 11:35 AM

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' That was quite simply wonderful. What else can I say?

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues Sweet, tranquil, relaxing blues - a thoroughly enjoyable performance.

45. Claudemir Medeiros - Nocturne op 15 n 3 Accomplished playing of a demanding composition - very well done!

47. Sandalholme - Nocturne No21 C Minor Op Posth 1848 Another lovely Chopin Nocturne. Smooth runs, well-controlled ornaments and dynamics, as well as a gentle touch - all made for a very special presentation.

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a) A new composer for me - thank you! You played this wistful piece with great sensitivity.

49. initK - Dream a little dream of me Good for you - having fun playing the music you really love, and it shows in your performance. A nice swinging style; congratulations on your first submission.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Handyman

61 Handyman

Could you chug it along a tad, if you don't mind my saying?

The problem is that you started listening to the Recital submissions at the beginning instead of at the end...by the time you got to the 61st piece you were suffering from what many do here: chronic "audition fatigue" - you just simply wanted the whole tedious process to be over and done with - so you wanted my 5 minute piece to be done in 2 1/2...hence the "chugging along a tad" (BTW, not a traditional Italian tempo indicator as far as I can tell) - if you had started listening at the end your patience wouldn't have been exhausted and you probably would have asked me why I was chugging along at such a far too brisk tempo... wink

Nah. Nuthin' like that. I just like speed . . . . . really, I need to slow down a lot. Everything. Bike, Piano . . . .some of us are like that. (English shrug) Have fun!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 10:19 PM

60. Mr. Super Hunk.... Hey, for all the hype... That was REALLY well done! smile It's quite lovely and very well played. Nice recording quality too SH.

14. Tim- I've been playing Satie on and off for years now and somehow I have missed these. Really wonderful and you play them quite masterfully. Satie was so far ahead of his time.... what an artist. Thanks for playing these.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Serge88

[b]50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7
(to do)
Nicely done, keep up the playing.

Thank you Serge88!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/20/19 11:57 PM

50 Terry Michael

Sounds from your description like Anno Domini is on the prowl! Welcome to the O. F. Club. There's always room, and you did very well. Never say never . . .

Time for Lunch. . . . what'll it be??

Today was a ham sandwich.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 12:00 AM

24. Peterws - Daydreams I love this, guaranteed to bring sweet dreams. I downloaded so I can listen to it at will.

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond A fascinatingly creative piece, and yes oh so sad. Really enjoyed

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose A fun piece, this reminds me of how my late father used to play - "more music" all the way!

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams Great composition, I'm always so impressed by those who can create their own music. Well played also!

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni Glad you changed your mind and submitted this piece! Beautifully played.

29. Animisha - Angelfish (to do)I love this piece, it was the first piece I submitted to one of these recitals. I still get it out sometimes to play it. You played it well, giving us a lively swimming Angel!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 12:01 AM

30. Monica K. - Ascent Beautiful, your love of music and Einaudi shine brightly. May you have music and beauty with you for the rest of your days and beyond. Thank you for all you have done for us at Piano World.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 12:20 AM

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major This was lovely, such sweet playing. I hadn't heard this piece before, maybe I'll put it on my to do list.

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme A sweet theme, you played this well. I'm now inspired to also listen to the rest of the music for this movie!

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate Indeed he is! You had him roaming the deck on this one - well done, really enjoyed!

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) What a great sound you achieved in this piece, sigh, your playing is so wonderful.

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Oh gosh, this was great! Sweet piano also.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 02:50 AM

In two minutes and five seconds, you have disproved the idea that melody has become obsolete! That was a very appealing piece, with structure, harmony and a gorgeous melody. All you need is a lyricist! Well done!

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Monica, that was lovely, as usual. Thank you once again, old friend, for all you have done for this community. Your essential goodness and decency as a real person somehow shine through this impersonal medium, and we are all touched by it. Ascent, indeed.

Well done, Balezin, you have captured the spirit of this thing perfectly!

Bravo, a rousing rendition if ever there was one. I loved it!

A daunting piece of music but you have achieved a very credible level of performance. Well done!

What a gorgeous song. I have to learn to play it! Nicely done!

Ed
Posted By: lvojnovic

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 08:41 AM

52 ivojnic

Ha ha! I'm currently engaged in this one. Given up on the trills (a single extra note usually suffices) so it was good to hear them played here. Now, I liked the ending. It brought things to a climax. You might try to engineer this sort of approach to the whole passage; there's a natural light and shade to it, and some notes are indicated for extra pounding. But it was steady, great tempo, and a darn sight better than what I'm doing right now!

Trills were also a big problem for me, but I wanted to learn them better so I soldiered on smile I am very proud of how much they improved.

Regarding the ending, I did want a little decress. before the final cresc. but in the recording it did not turned out that way. And I agree that the ending was a little too loud smile

Thanks for the comment!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 10:10 AM

50. Terry Michael - Prelude in A Major Op.28 No.7 For me, the pace of your performance brought something quite different to this Prelude - an air of sadness. I liked it!

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999 Nice control, a gentle touch. Well done!

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772 Great trills and dynamics: sharp and very sweet.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 Quite simply, a masterpiece, Richard.

54. Sam Rose - Invention 14 in Bb major Sam, that was a long way from merely ‘not too bad’ - thank you, it was lovely!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/21/19 03:44 PM

And now a batch from the end to mix things up a bit

Ooh, big mood, as the young online people say. Very atmospheric, I enjoyed it a lot

Lovely, excellent pace and flow. I especially appreciated your ornaments which are something I am particularly struggling with working on these days

Exquisite, what more can I say?

Really nicely played. Lovely tone and evenness

Great job Ralphiano, and how cool that you have achieved this goal you set yourself early in your piano journey.
I learned this piece this year too, there is a lot to it

A real fave of mine, and I love your performance.
I have worked on bits of this but have yet to learn it properly. I’m on a pretty steady diet of classical (in the broader sense) with my teacher right now but this is high on my list when I have more bandwidth for other stuff.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde
Gorgeous, another one of my faves of Einaudi’s

Very well done, this flows really well. My mind was filling in the costume drama for which this could be the soundtrack

I love this piece so much. I spent a huge amount of time working on it, and while I made great progress and could play most of it reasonably satisfactorily, I could never confidently play the whole way through without something going badly wrong.
That experience, and similar time investment in comparably challenging pieces with similar results, has set me on a “back to basics” path with my current teacher. For the last year we’ve been working on less demanding pieces to build technique and fill in the gaps, with a view to being able to tackle this kind of repertoire more successfully in the future. (I am finding plenty of challenge in the so-called less-demanding pieces but at least I can learn them more quickly).

I really enjoyed this. I think it works great at this tempo. Now I am feeling impatient to dig it out again.

I love this. It’s like Bach crossed with Michael Nyman, totally hooks me in (perfect for an addictive game of course!)

You create a beautiful sense of calm and peace, lovely

Very interesting piece, and I enjoyed your performance a lot. There is so much going on here. I’ve worked on a good number of short Bach pieces, which tend to be pretty much a single idea per piece. This ranges far more widely within the piece both in style and feel. It’s interesting alright that this came out just when Scarlatti’s sonatas did.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/22/19 02:01 AM

Well done, Barbara, sounds really good. Happens to me too - - I usually make my best recordings when I am not really trying to make a recording!

Nice, gently swinging bluesy sound. Very musical!

Well done! Your playing is very musical, probably because of all the classical background you have (however long ago). The trials and tribulations of recording will surely get easier if you continue to participate, which I hope you do.

Well done, Terry. This is one of those little gems that I have been hearing all my life, but it's always a pleasure to hear it once more. Thanks for that!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/22/19 06:44 AM

55. Ralphiano - Sonatina, Op.36, No.1, mvmt 1 &2, Clementi I’ve had the sheet music for this Sonatina for years but never worked on it. Now I think I should - I enjoyed that! Good luck wth your piano search, and with finding a sheet music store these days. There are no longer any here in Brisbane.

58. JJHLH - Minuet A Minor, Z649 Congratulations on wonderful progress - not only with your performance but also with recording it and submitting the result to a Recital after only 5 months at the piano.

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 Oh, that was a delight!

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2 Wow. I loved the insistent beat from the first notes, then fell in love with the way you handled the melody that started around 1:22. Bravo!

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine David Lanz has composed some lovely pieces! Beautiful playing John, that really breathed.

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor Thanks to videos, we can all come to your house to hear you play that Fantasie to us. That was brilliant - thank you, Sam!

And more ‘thank-yous’: to all 61 piano-loving participants; to everyone who listened to ‘Tomorrow’s Song’; to all who kindly gave me feedback; to Sam, again, for stepping up to keep these Recitals going.
And of course, to you, Monica, with love, for being a wonderful inspiration here for so many years past, and for so many yet to come. heart

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/22/19 12:30 PM

Well. it's obvious that almost anyone who wanted to comment did, so it's time for saying BIG "thank you" to anyone who had patience to listen to my playing. Thank you for your kind comments and "likes"...
I am a fan of more pop piano, but I guess next time I will try to present some classics (we'll see about that, I might get swayed by another magical piano theme against which I have no protection and fall in love so easily:-)

I'm looking forward to the next thing that will unite us.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/22/19 08:43 PM

60.Mr Super-Hunky - Bach Wonderful! Your skills keep growing and growing. I have such admiration for your persistence

13. Moo smile Impromptu Very smoothly played and nice to listen to.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation Quietly beautiful. What a lovely tribute to Monica.

29. Animisha - Angelfish Haunting, lovely. By the way, is that you in your avatar? It always makes me laugh with delight.

46. Tyrone Slothrop - Cold Wind Aptly named, eh? It has that feel of a winter storm settling in for the long haul. Br-r-r

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute What an interesting piece. I like the swing when that kicks in. Well done.

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues You had me from the first note! What great style you have. You must have been born to the blues.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/22/19 08:46 PM

And a couple more responses:

MeganR - I'm glad your father and I are kindred souls smile

cmb13 - thanks laugh

Qwerty53 -"Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be!
" Can I put that in my signature? I think you're absolutely right smile

Thanks to all who have listened, who played, who administered, and who have such great ideas as online recitals.
Posted By: dumka1

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/23/19 02:17 AM

Thanks to those who have offered very generous comments on my submission. It means a lot to me, as I normally avoid submitting pieces that have obvious errors but this is where I was with this sonata.

I feel guilty not commenting on individual submissions but some of these recitals fall on the busiest part of the year for me, like a major conference in mid-November or the beginning of the academic year both at my kids' schools and the university where I teach (mid- to late August). But I've been listening to the recital and enjoying it immensely!

Monica, what a touching and powerful performance! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Terry Michael

20. dumka1 - Sonata in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34, 1st movement - Such a pretty and yet bold Sonata. I loved it. Beyond my level. Is it just me or does the second half feel a bit more 'refined'?

Thanks. In fact, I have another recording where it's just the opposite--the first half is much smoother and the second turned out more shaky. I even created a "cheat" video combining the two recordings and was considering editing the audio for this recital (with full disclosure, of course), but decided to go with the rules.

Dmitry, so yes, I do have a video but I don't usually submit them. Thanks for your kind words!

What a wonderful and supportive group of people!
Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/23/19 08:33 AM

02. Peyton - For Monica. This was a beautiful original composition Peyton and the fact that you wrote it for Monica made it that much more special. I must admit that I am writing this comment with heavy tears in my eyes as your piece set off a few emotional responses I could not control. That's what happens when you care about someone; especially someone as special as Monica is to us... Nice job.

07. MarieJ- Tomorrow's Song. Another somber piece that stoked many emotions. Thanks for posting this Marie, you did a great job with this delicate piece.

10. Jazztpt - Zero. I've always enjoyed your jazzy performances and wish you would become a regular recital contributor again. Your part of the 'original' recital group and we need to stick together as there is not many of us left here. Excellent original performance as always from you.

15. Serge88 - Daniel. This was great Serge. Yes, it was just a tiny bit slow but rather have quality over speed. Definitely had me singing along with it and that's the point right? Nice job.

17. joangolfing - Who Is He? This was very nice Joan. I liked all the subtle chord changes throughout the piece.

18. zsolpyW - Prelude in c-sharp minor op.2 no.3. I love this piece and the way you played all those dramatic chords. Great tune for a spooky night or possibly for an upcoming Halloween performance. Lots of powerful confidence in your playing as well. I loved it!

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily. You hooked me from the very beginning with this piece Ed. Very strong and fluid intro. your playing is really getting good btw, You're a great example of how someone improves over time as I've been listening to your performances for years here. Keep up the good work!

24. Peterws - Daydreams. Peter, I have yet to figure you out. Rambling drunken sailor?, Pirate from a different time? or possibly someone with deep inherent emotions whose chosen music to let us hear the beauty of what they sound like? I think I know the answer but I'll keep it our secret okay? Once again you got me with these beautiful melodies that I am a sucker for. Well done.

26. Jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose. Cathy I always enjoy your spirited submissions in these recitals especially knowing how much your audience loves and appreciates them when you perform. What stood out for me was the confident bass I heard in this performance which really kept it perky. Great job.

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams. Nicely played Jazzyprof. I liked your controlled playing and especially the soft ending. Piano and recording quality are top notch too. Good job.

30. Monica K. - Ascent. Monica this was beautiful as all of your performances have been. I could recognize that deep M&H bass which I love so much from your opening note along with all of the meaningful notes that followed. I am so sad to think that this may be your last recital, but I am so grateful that we've had so much fun here together for the past 14 years! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a wonderful person and such a good friend to myself and everyone else you have touched. You made a difference to so many.,..a BIG one.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/23/19 01:38 PM

My next segment:

21. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in a minor You play this with great sensitivity to the feel - I like how you transitioned it to the live performance!

22. ralph L. - Nostalgy It’s nice to have your own little “combo” to play with! Very nice.

23. Riddler (Ed) - Emily This is a new piece to me, but I think you gave it the right mood. Really pretty piece!

24. Peterws - Daydreams I love your musical ramblings!

25. Snejana - Sad Story of the Vagabond I love the lamenting Bartok, and the Kabalevsky is one I haven’t heard before, but it seems to match very well with the Bartok.

26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose I agree - having the music have meaning is more important than getting all the right notes any day. What a fun piece!

27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams I love hearing original works - thanks for sharing this!

28. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - I Giorni Oo, so pretty! I’ve found a new piece to learn. I love how you play this too.

29. Animisha - Angelfish You play this very well! Thanks for sharing an unknown composer, this is a good find.

30. Monica K. - Ascent Monica, you brought tears to my eyes with your playing. Thank you for all of your contributions over the years and sharing your journey and love of Einaudi with us.

31. tjbron - Prelude Op. 11 No. 21 in Bb Major I haven’t done much Scriabin, but I can see what you like about them. Your playing shows an understanding of what he was trying to evoke, even with those surprise harmonies.

32. Mosotti - Mia & Sebastian's Theme Very nice playing and voicing in the octaves!

33. Balezin Dmitry - He's a pirate I think the tempo is fine, it has the excitement that it needs. That red dot is a problem! The best advice I can offer is do it a lot, and give yourself lots of time to record (like a couple of weeks), and just do as many takes to start forgetting about it. You did very well with it, in spite of that!

34. JoBert - Herberge (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) What a sweet little piece! I’ve never heard this before (maybe back in the Schumann recital?), so I appreciate you sharing this with us.

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag How fun! I don’t like my rags to “clean” because they lose the style. This was perfect!

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 It’s easy to forget Handel wrote keyboard music as well. You play this so well!

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute Nice work on playing a transcription - that must have been tricky!

38. Ganddalf - Habanera I love Spanish music, so I was eager to hear this one. Thanks for sharing this gem with us!

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) My father was a big fan of Brubeck’s, and I love how this piece is so accessible. I’d say he accomplished his goal with this piece of bridging the gap between classical and jazz.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 Bach is hard - even his “easy” pieces. This was beautiful.
Posted By: Animisha

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/23/19 03:05 PM

[quote=jotur][
29. Animisha - Angelfish Haunting, lovely. By the way, is that you in your avatar? It always makes me laugh with delight.

Thank you jotur, and yes, that is me on a warm summer day, when I get to play with water!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/24/19 12:11 PM

62. Sam- It's funny you mention your harpsichord. Without reading what you wrote the first thing I thought when listening was "Wow, this would sound great on Sam's harpsichord". Anyway... nice playing on what sounds like a very difficult piece.

12. MeaganR- Wonderful. It's sounds very smooth and in control.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/25/19 06:47 AM

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3 Wow, so this is what perfection sounds like! I absolutely loved this. I could listen to a 2 hour extended version of this piece no problem. So relaxing. Excellent performance.

56. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche Beautiful job with this delicate piece ShiroKuro. One of my top Einaudi favorites and the fact that you are dedicating this performing to Monica makes it that more special. Loved it.

57. Morodiene - Le Onde I love the dramatic/haunting melody of this piece and you did a wonderful job with it. More Einaudi in future recitals please!

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1 Wow, this was super-fantastic! I loved all the dreamyness about this piece, almost fantasy sounding. great job.

61. Handyman (John) - Leaves on the Seine Very nice performance of this ultra delicate piece Handyman. It's a tear jerker and reminder of what's really important in life. Nicely done.

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor This sounded a bit tricky to play, especially with all the trills throughout the piece but you did a fine job with this piece Sam. I agree with Peyton that this would sound fantastic on a REAL harpsichord; probably because of all the trills. A request for the future? Nicely done.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/25/19 07:45 AM

Thank you MarieJ and Riddler for your kind words and for listening. I just got feedback from my teacher. Ugh. I still have a long ways to go on the piece but I'll get there!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/25/19 12:29 PM

Thanks Mr_Super-Hunky and Morodiene - Picking up a second assisted living place to play at is one of the things that has made "retirement" busy! And allowed me to once again play just for the fun and not have to think about whether or not I miss notes! It's all about the music.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/25/19 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jotur
Thanks Mr_Super-Hunky and Morodiene - Picking up a second assisted living place to play at is one of the things that has made "retirement" busy! And allowed me to once again play just for the fun and not have to think about whether or not I miss notes! It's all about the music.

This is so true! We work at getting our playing to be accurate and comfortable in the hands, but in the end, we have to come back around to just making music. smile
Posted By: Jason Lenthe

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/25/19 05:29 PM

I have now finally listened to each and every piece at least once, so I wanted to say how I much I enjoyed listening (even more so than usual). I'm not probably not insightful enough to provide an intelligent comment on each piece, so I will just issue a general congratulations. Everyone should be very proud of the pieces they submitted here. And I'm not just saying that be to nice, I really mean it.

I did want comment specifically on this one, though:

30. Monica K. - Ascent That sure was a powerful and moving performance! You are as tough as nails, a real community leader, and damn good pianist. Thank you, so much!

I also wanted to thank all who commented on my piece and respond to a few points:

Originally Posted by WTM
Jason this performance was fantastic and got my feet tapping away under my desk at work. Incredible!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by initK

I enjoyed especially performances of
#1 Pianogrlnw, #7 MarieJ, #11 KevinM, #15 Serge88, #20 dumka1, #23 Riddler (Ed), #27 Jazzyprof, #30 Monica K., #32 Mosotti, #35 Jason Lenthe , #38 Ganddalf, #40 timmyab, #43 PikaPianist (WOW!), #46 Tyrone Slothrop (what a lovely video!), #53 Richard (zrtf90) and #57 Morodiene!

Thank you!

Classic ragtime piece, your playing was flawless. Well done!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ted

Like Joshua Rifkin and Brian Keenan, you prefer the authentic tempo in a piece which is often played at ridiculous speed. I think I prefer your way as it increases definition of the syncopation, which disappears altogether at high speed. Well done.

Thank you, Ted. Yeah, I've been focusing this year on tempo control and I think I'm really starting to see the results. And I don't think this kind of "slower" tempo really sacrifices anything in terms of energy.

Such a fun piece, a joy to listen to. Well played, you own it.

Thank you!

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag What a fine performance of this excellent piece! My toes are tapping for sure. (And what a beautiful piano!)

Thank you!

Originally Posted by MarieJ

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag I think this provided us all with toe-tapping cheer … great work, Jason!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ido

Very solid rendition!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sam S

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Awesome!

Thank you!

35 Jason Lenthe
Excellent! Your piano is totally lovely. Those top notes sound deliberately de-tuned . . . there's so much vibrancy and enthusiasm in this. Great stuff.

Thank you. Is de-tuning notes deliberately something people do? If so, my technician must have done it without my consent! But he's a real top notch pro, so I doubt it. Perhaps more likely you are hearing my flubs. I definitely had a audible flub when I went an octave higher on the repeat for the 2nd section plus a few more throughout.

Originally Posted by Terry Michael

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag - LOVE it! Another wonderful 'pick me upper'. This piece will live on forever. Thanks!

Thank you!

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Wow, what energy! I'm tired just watching it! Nicely played! Liked the tidbit about the publisher in the video.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by MeganR

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Oh gosh, this was great! Sweet piano also.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Riddler

Bravo, a rousing rendition if ever there was one. I loved it!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Morodiene

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag How fun! I don’t like my rags to “clean” because they lose the style. This was perfect!

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone that noticed my new piano because I forgot to mention that fact in my "additional details". Owning a grand piano is something of a dream come true for me. It was well worth the effort of getting a cable outlet moved and totally rearranging the furniture in my family room to make space for it. I also consider myself very fortunate to have the financial means to own a grand as well because not everyone does. I grew up playing a Wurlitzer spinnet that had never been tuned! And I loved it. I've come a long way since then.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/25/19 09:55 PM

Back to being able to comment on this wonderful recital - a root canal and a funeral got in the way. Sigh.

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 A lovely piece indeed! Maybe I'll put this on my to-learn list. Nice light touch on your new piano.

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute Wow, neat! Love this sound.

38. Ganddalf - Habanera Also not familiar with this composer, but what a sweet melody and rhythm, and beautifully played.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) One of the things I love about these recitals is hearing music I didn't know about. I greatly appreciate your bringing this piece to us, and really enjoyed your playing.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 I love Bach so much, I love this Sinfonia, this was great.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 Such a wonderful piece of music. I hear you on how hard it can be to get a good recording, but your interpretation is lovely.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 I've done 940 and 942, but hadn't considered this one and now you've inspired me to think maybe I should. Well played!

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' Holy cow, this was truly wonderful. Loved!

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues Maybe the blues is often sweaty? At any rate your work paid off, this was some cooooool stuff. Really enjoyed.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/26/19 09:10 PM

Sorry, I posted this in the recital thread by mistake.

Something good, definitely good! Yes, on the pedal, too, I think 😊

How I envy your hand independence! Beautifully done!

A beautiful, sensitive rendition of a masterpiece! Very touching!

Absolutely gorgeous! I love this piece and enjoyed every second of your performance!

Definitely sounds like you have an extra hand or two, with extra fingers on them, too. it's remarkable that you accomplished all that by ear.
Posted By: jazzyprof

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/28/19 12:19 AM

I very much enjoyed listening to all the pieces in this recital. Kudos to all!

Many thanks to all who commented on my piece:
cmb13, facdo, MarieJ, KevinM, MeganR, Riddler (Ed), Peterws, Balezin Dmitry, Ido, Qwerty53, initK,Terry Michael, Morodiene, Mr Super-Hunky.
I truly appreciate the feedback!
Originally Posted by Riddler
In two minutes and five seconds, you have disproved the idea that melody has become obsolete! That was a very appealing piece, with structure, harmony and a gorgeous melody. All you need is a lyricist! Well done!

Thanks, Riddler. You're right...I need to find a lyricist to turn it into a real song!

I was hoping to comment on all the pieces but the start of the academic year got in the way so I only have a couple:

I love what you did with Bach! I think he would be mighty pleased with your adaptation.

That was beautifully played. You succeeded in touching the emotions. So moving.

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Monica, thank you for sharing with us your journey and your love for the music of Einaudi. I love the ethereal quality you brought to the lyrical parts of the piece...brought tears to my eyes.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/28/19 07:20 AM

Just a quick one. It's been a great recital; I've particularly enjoyed it for not only the music, but the machines that play it! There's an enormous variety, and the recordings are wonderful.
And its good that everybody should heel free to contribute responses or not. Keep 'em comin' . . . .

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/28/19 08:15 AM

Just a quick one. It's been a great recital; I've particularly enjoyed it for not only the music, but the machines that play it!

I have to second this. I was actually surprised to find myself drawn to the audio aspects as well as the music presented. I really enjoyed listening!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 08/28/19 12:05 PM

Cathy - Delightful rendition of this great old standard - what we've come to expect from you - keep up the good work for those "seasoned citizens"!

Really nice effort on this seemingly difficult piece Sam- enjoyed that thoroughly! Thanks for your work on making the Recital happen...

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 09/01/19 07:49 AM

Wow; it's 2 weeks since the discussion opened and it seems it's already closing up. I was quite busy with some urgent things and didn't have much time for piano. Time to catch up.

A complex interesting piece well played.

Thanks Kevin!

Originally Posted by MarieJ

I could just see those 50 musicians 300 years ago, drifting upstream on a barge. Your rendition sang along nicely; your serious work certainly paid off.

good to hear that smile

Originally Posted by MeganR

Your work on the voicing really did the trick, well played.

Thanks,and good that you point to the voicing, There's so many things going on that it's difficult to see what makes the difference.

Originally Posted by Morodienne

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music I know what you mean about having to resolve blockiness with a hymn-like texture. I really like how you added just a bit of stretching the tempo in at around 0:51 and 1:08 and the ending - this was very effective. You could even add a bit of phrasing even if it’s not written in to help disguise the blockiness.

Yes in old music you have to do this yourself. Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 09/01/19 07:58 AM

Lovely sound; reminds me of Christmas. Rich, fruity, any piano would like to sound like it. Great, lovely, just too short.

Nice Peter, thanks !

Originally Posted by Ido

Thank you for introducing this piece. It sounds very tricky with all these voices. Nicely done!

Yes, it was tricky indeed. Good to hear you like it!

Originally Posted by cmb

Nice playing on short notice. Sounds like a lot of chords there.

Thanks, yes, lots of chords indeed. But I was trying to make it sound a bit less like that!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 09/01/19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Very sure and steady execution. My gut tells me that I would have played it a bit more softly, but given that it is a dance your choice may well be the appropriate one.

Thanks QuasiUnaFantasia for your comments. Yes I hear why you are saying that and yes maybe it can be played a bit softer!

Nice job on keeping an even keel with the Water Music!

Qwerty, thanks for your comment !

Originally Posted by Terry

'm listening to Audio books on Handel's life right now and loving them. I liked this piece. I think you did a good job of making the melody come out.

Good to hear, yes I worked a lot on the voicing too and good to hear it worked out

Originally Posted by barbaram

I know what you mean about the challenge of avoiding “blockiness” with chord based pieces like this. Your performance has a lovely brightness about it, and a nice pace that feels very appropriate – a certain stateliness but with enough movement too

Barbaram, thanks; good to hear that the feel and pace are right.
Posted By: owenj

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 09/04/19 02:49 AM

End of summer activities have kept me mostly off of the forum, and practice has been a bit spotty. Enjoyed this lovely recital dedicated to Monica K, may she rest in peace. As an Einaudi fan, it was nice to hear several of his pieces grin Great variety in genres. Hopefully I'll get my act together and have something to submit next time!
Posted By: timmyab

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room - 09/09/19 09:08 PM

Some great performences here as always. I'll just mention a couple that particularly struck me out of the dozens of commendable performances.

Very musical playing and pretty accurate too considering the complexity of the piece. The proof that you moved something inside me is that I found myself humming this piece last week not knowing what it was or who it was by until I placed it after a while as your recital piece. I'm not a huge fan of Brahms solo piano works usually (although I love the 1st PC), but I really enjoyed this and may have a look at it one day. I suspect it's difficult though. The out of tune piano was a slight distraction at first but I soon forgot about it.

I think you play very well considering the short time you've been at it. Great control of tempo and dynamics. Nice piece too.

Also congratulations to the people that submitted Einaldi pieces. Very high standard of playing, I'm sure Monica would have approved of them all.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums