Piano World Home Page

Recital 55 - Call for Submissions

Posted By: AB Forum Recital

Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 01:04 AM

Recital #55 is now open for submissions!

The 55th ABF quarterly recital is dedicated to our long-time recital moderator Monica K.

Monica joined the forum in Aug 2005, and has over 18,000 posts, Her contributions have always been helpful and supportive. She was responsible (along with Mr. Super-Hunky) for getting the quarterly recitals started, and served as the administrator for the recitals from the beginning until Recital #53 - that's over 13 years. She has performed in 54 consecutive quarterly recitals! She has also been the ABF's expert and leading fan for the music of Ludovico Einaudi.

I hope you will join us in dedicating your performance in Recital 55 to Monica to thank her for all she has done for us over the years.

The recital will be posted sometime on the 15th of August, which means that submissions must be in by 5:00 am Eastern Standard Time, August 15th. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added. This is also a different deadline than usual - it actually adds a few hours to the submission period.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

Editing or digital alteration of your performance (other than minor edits such as trimming long silences at the end or beginning of the piece) is counter to the 'live recital' spirit of the AB Forum Recital and is thus strongly discouraged. In any event, any editing should be disclosed in the "additional information" section of the recital submission template.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate. The recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you are new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use the ABF Recital Index:

ABF Recital Index

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

recitals.pianoworld.com

and follow the instructions there. Please note that the software does not cope well with international characters, so please convert any such characters to standard American characters. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me (Sam S). If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 5:00 am US EASTERN STANDARD TIME on August 15th, 2019.

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should you have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, do not hesitate to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems.

Looking forward to hearing the recital!

Sam
Posted By: KevinM

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 08:33 AM

Looks like the online submission form does not like umlauts.
I am going to fix.
Posted By: Sam S

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by KevinM
Looks like the online submission form does not like umlauts.
I am going to fix.

Yes, that tip is buried in the instructions somewhere. On the plus side, there haven't been any of those pesky duplicate submissions yet...

Sam
Posted By: wouter79

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 10:47 AM

It barfs on every special character, é ë ä ç etc. I had to fix my own submission and saw briefly some bad characters in other submissions already. Most people seem to detect and work around the issue themselves, by removing the accidentals.
Posted By: Moo :)

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 04:56 PM

I uploaded my piece. The first time ever only version uploaded. I normally have 2 come up every time :P
Posted By: Animisha

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 05:29 PM

I practise like a madwoman to get my piece ready before the final deadline. And keeping my fingers crossed that nobody choses the same piece as I do. It is not Einaudi, but the closest to Einaudi I can get.
Posted By: AssociateX

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 06:09 PM

Ugh. There are already 13 entries and its already the first day?!?! WTF. I am so discouraged now..(just kidding). I feel like when there are 50 entries, people just listen to the first 10 pieces and then tune out for the comments on their own..
I had planned to submit Brahms Intermezzo 118/2 but I dont feel its ready. My teacher and I are still working on some of the middle passages. I am so 50/50 on this. I hate how my recording sounds. My other choice was Schubert Op 90/1 but I see someone already submitted a Schubert Impromptu so it may be overkill.

No idea what I wil do, I guess I will be toward the last of the entries again and just risk being not listened to as much,,(yes I know one can switch the order around when listening but its easier to have it default to the order of submitted entries). Whatever..

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 07:11 PM

Don't worry about being toward the bottom of the list. Many of us listen from the end, or just skip around.

And I will probably be last...

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AssociateX
Ugh. There are already 13 entries and its already the first day?!?! WTF. I am so discouraged now..(just kidding). I feel like when there are 50 entries, people just listen to the first 10 pieces and then tune out for the comments on their own..
I had planned to submit Brahms Intermezzo 118/2 but I dont feel its ready. My teacher and I are still working on some of the middle passages. I am so 50/50 on this. I hate how my recording sounds. My other choice was Schubert Op 90/1 but I see someone already submitted a Schubert Impromptu so it may be overkill.

No idea what I wil do, I guess I will be toward the last of the entries again and just risk being not listened to as much,,(yes I know one can switch the order around when listening but its easier to have it default to the order of submitted entries). Whatever..

I listened to all pieces more than once from the last recital. I remember I enjoyed yours then, so there is no way I'll miss yours this time no matter where it is in the list.
Posted By: AssociateX

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by KevinM

I listened to all pieces more than once from the last recital. I remember I enjoyed yours then, so there is no way I'll miss yours this time no matter where it is in the list.

Thanks that is encouraging news. I listened to a few entries 2x too but didnt get a chance to comment on the recital thread (just not enough time in my life to really write all my thoughts on specific pieces). I just recorded 3 pieces earlier today so I will listen again tonight and choose which one sounds better. As anyone can see, I am highly critical of myself.

Thanks to another poster on here, I opted to have my Steinway finally voiced and regulated properly. My latest upload on my YT channel has the new sound now. I just feel the overall volume is lower and my recording equipment has always been subpar (just my iPhone that i upload via a Macbook Air using VLC to convert to MP3).

I cant wait to listen to everyone's entries and playing!!
Posted By: Claudemir

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/01/19 10:17 PM

I'm glad to see Tico tico no fubá - Zequinha de Abreu this time wink
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 12:02 AM

I'm still deciding on what to submit ... I'll be towards the end.
Posted By: Serge88

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 12:48 AM

I uploaded my piece.

It's time to think about my next piece for recital #56. crazy
Posted By: mel_lem

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Claudemir
I'm glad to see Tico tico no fubá - Zequinha de Abreu this time wink

I hope my performance doesn’t disappoint blush
Posted By: Whizbang

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mel_lem

I hope my performance doesn’t disappoint blush

You kid!
Posted By: piano_primo_1

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 03:28 PM

I decided to skip e-itals, and piano for a time.
Work and chores (and fatigue) are keeping me from practicing consistently. yawn
So I’m going with theory courses when they catch my interest.
Probably will listen in….I enjoyed being in the previous years of playing.
So I hope to get back some time in the future. thumb
Posted By: WTM

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 04:29 PM

Just submitted mine and seen Moo has uploaded the same piece.

Sorry to Moo and sorry to the listeners. Hope you don't mind.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/02/19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by WTM
Just submitted mine and seen Moo has uploaded the same piece.

Sorry to Moo and sorry to the listeners. Hope you don't mind.

No problems - I'm sure they will be unique!

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/03/19 10:05 AM

We're up to 24 submissions, from Bach to Einaudi with everything in between. Don't miss out! Let's make Monica proud...

Sam
Posted By: peterws

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/03/19 07:07 PM

25 now!
Posted By: Balezin Dmitry

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/04/19 09:10 AM

Well. I've learned my piece, but won't submit it right now. Will have a little more time to polish it.
I still choose non-classical pieces that I'm more attached to and can feel better...and feel more motivated to learn.
So, It'll be ready quite soon.
Posted By: MarieJ

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/04/19 09:34 AM

Monica, I see you've made it! Congratulations - that's wonderful! 3hearts
Posted By: ShiroKuro

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/04/19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by MarieJ
Monica, I see you've made it! Congratulations - that's wonderful! 3hearts

+1 3hearts
Posted By: Monica K.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/04/19 04:08 PM

Well, it's not the best performance I've ever recorded, but I wanted to make sure I got *something* submitted. I'm going to keep trying for a better take.
Posted By: jazzyprof

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/05/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Monica K.
Well, it's not the best performance I've ever recorded, but I wanted to make sure I got *something* submitted.

Happy to see you've submitted! I haven't participated in the ABF recitals in years but you motivated me to get "something" submitted...my first and only composition!
Posted By: tjbron

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/05/19 04:13 AM

Was hoping to get in early, but haven't had the opportunity to record yet. Pretty sure I'll do something from the Scriabin Preludes... My first submission since retuning to piano lessons after many years.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/06/19 01:40 PM

I submitted an Einaudi piece for Monica, but one that I submitted in the August recital 3 years ago. Hopefully the new version is better smile
Posted By: Qwerty53

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/06/19 09:23 PM

Still polishing my little piece(s). Preparing for the last ABF recital was a big step forward in learning what works for me to get a piece to the level that feels ready to share. Record and listen, record and listen, over and over, and work on all the glitches — those small sequences of notes and nuances that I was “sure” I had learned weeks ago — until they are unbreakable. Almost there, getting closer by the day!

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/08/19 09:30 AM

Recital 55 will open for submissions in about a week - at 9PM US Eastern time on August 14th. You can submit your recording at recitals.pianoworld.com. We currently have 33 performers from just about every genre and experience level.

This recital is dedicated to Monica K., the long-time moderator of the recitals, who recently stepped down to deal with some serious health problems. Show your support and appreciation for Monica by joining us in the recital.

Don't miss out!

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/08/19 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sam S
Recital 55 will open for submissions in about a week - at 9PM US Eastern time on August 14th.

Hi Sam! Do you mean "Recital 55 will close for submissions in about a week - at 9PM US Eastern time on August 14th."?

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/08/19 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Animisha
Recital 55 will open for submissions in about a week - at 9PM US Eastern time on August 14th.

Hi Sam! Do you mean "Recital 55 will close for submissions in about a week - at 9PM US Eastern time on August 14th."?

Yes, I meant CLOSE for submissions. Thanks for catching that.

Sam
Posted By: Balezin Dmitry

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/09/19 04:38 PM

I've already uploaded my piece, but I think I can do better and really try to redo it. I won't make it perfect, just a tiny bit bette, so you won't be offended by mistakes I made during my privious recording. Still have a few days to practice

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/09/19 11:58 PM

I have just been wandering around the recordings from previous recitals. JoBert’s collection of songs without words are great. I notice Sam S did quite a few of the Songs without words a long time ago and you can hear the progression of his playing.

However Pianogrlnw’s version of Chopin’s nocturne in C#Minor is as close to perfection as you want. It was awesome.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/10/19 12:16 AM

Thanks KevinM. I love Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words. They don't get enough respect. Way back in 2013 we did a recital with nothing but the SWoWs, but it didn't use the recital software, so I think a bunch of the links are now broken:

Mendelssohn Themed Recital

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/10/19 12:52 AM

That is a great thread Sam S, I am going to have to come back to it.

There are so many SWW I love. It is fantastic there is so much beautiful music to learn to play.
Posted By: cmb13

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/10/19 02:37 AM

Thanks KevinM. I love Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words. They don't get enough respect. Way back in 2013 we did a recital with nothing but the SWoWs, but it didn't use the recital software, so I think a bunch of the links are now broken:

Mendelssohn Themed Recital

Sam

Wow - what a gem!!! I just got lost in there for an hour!
Posted By: Handyman

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/10/19 10:53 AM

I feel like when there are 50 entries, people just listen to the first 10 pieces and then tune out for the comments on their own..

It's a lot more varied and complex than that, ranging all the way from those few who don't care to listen to anyone else's piece thru those who listen (and comment) on only selected works of special interest to them to those who listen and comment on most if not all submissions - and then there are those who primarily quote the comments they get on their piece and then comment on the comment (in effect, doubling their received comments, and drawing further attention to what is usually praise, thus indirectly "tooting their own horn")...not that there's anything wrong with that...
Posted By: peterws

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/10/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Handyman
I feel like when there are 50 entries, people just listen to the first 10 pieces and then tune out for the comments on their own..

It's a lot more varied and complex than that, ranging all the way from those few who don't care to listen to anyone else's piece thru those who listen (and comment) on only selected works of special interest to them to those who listen and comment on most if not all submissions - and then there are those who primarily quote the comments they get on their piece and then comment on the comment (in effect, doubling their received comments, and drawing further attention to what is usually praise, thus indirectly "tooting their own horn")...not that there's anything wrong with that...

One has to admire the very wordy lengths they go to in this; I'm jealous if the truth's known.
Why use 10 words when 100 will suffice? laugh
Seriously, the technicalities of this type of critique would be my main reason for not using a teacher. I don't read instructions for assembling stuff, either. My head won't have it.
Posted By: Handyman

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/12/19 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by Handyman

One has to admire the very wordy lengths they go to in this; I'm jealous if the truth's known.
Why use 10 words when 100 will suffice? laugh

Or 1,000 - Yes, the creative literary juices get flowing at full throttle, but this is all a lot more exciting and satisfying than a simple "Thanks to everyone for your generous comments!".

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/13/19 09:54 AM

We currently have 42 performers in Recital 55 - entries from all experience levels and genres, and from all over the piano-playing world.

I confused the deadline in an earlier post, sorry about that.

The recital will be posted sometime on the 15th of August, which means that submissions must be in by 5:00 am US Eastern Standard Time, August 15th. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added. This is also a different deadline than usual - it actually adds a few hours to the submission period.

Some good news, we have not had any duplicate submissions or upload problems in the recital (yet!), so the changes to the upload process seem to be working.

Don't miss out!

Sam
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 03:23 AM

I just submitted my first Einaudi ever. Dedicating my playing of it to Monica K., without whom I would never have learned this piece. smile

Will see if I can record a better version and update in the next 29.5 hours, but if not, I'm in.
Posted By: sinophilia

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 05:20 AM

I'm finally in... didn't want to sit this one out! The latest take wins even if it's not the one with the least mistakes, and now I don't want to hear this piece ever again eek
Posted By: Pianoperformance

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I just submitted my first Einaudi ever. Dedicating my playing of it to Monica K., without whom I would never have learned this piece. smile

Will see if I can record a better version and update in the next 29.5 hours, but if not, I'm in.

Thanks for doing this one, it was gonna be my dedication to Monica, another fan of Ludovico; but alas, I couldn’t get this piece ready in time. I look forward to listening to your piece.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pianoperformance

Thanks for doing this one, it was gonna be my dedication to Monica, another fan of Ludovico; but alas, I couldn’t get this piece ready in time. I look forward to listening to your piece.

I found it deceptively hard, possibly for the same reasons that you couldn't get it ready in time.

But I did use this to work on and improve my reading skills thumb since features of this piece make it both difficult to memorise and also difficult to read while playing at performance tempo.
Posted By: initK

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 03:41 PM

I just submitted my first recital piece. Very nervous!
Recording it presented a challenge as I'm very camera shy and every time "record" button was pressed, my hands were shaking badly so it took many attempts to have it semi-decent and this is where I had to stop and call it done.
Looking forward to hearing everyone's recordings!

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 09:21 PM

QuasiUnaFantasia, you might want to doublecheck the name of your piece. It is appearing as "Kleines Pr���£ludium - BWV 999 (J. S. Bach)" with unprintable characters.
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 09:24 PM

QuasiUnaFantasia, you might want to doublecheck the name of your piece. It is appearing as "Kleines Pr���£ludium - BWV 999 (J. S. Bach)" with unprintable characters.

I wrote the title in German. It seemed a good idea at the time. smile

EDIT: The title has now been subtly changed. smile

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

I wrote the title in German. It seemed a good idea at the time. smile

EDIT: The title has now been subtly changed. smile

Yes, I remember trying an umlaut or accent in a prior recital submission and didn't work, so I also had to change it.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 10:02 PM

I noticed the title of my piece did the same as QuasiUnaFantasia’s but it was a quick edit.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/14/19 10:42 PM

Not to worry, I will correct things when I close the recital. Although it is better if the performers do it, of course.

So, there are about 10 hours left before the recital closes at 5AM on the 15th US Eastern time.

I guess I better record something!

Sam
Posted By: Ralphiano

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:17 AM

Awesome. I just submitted a butchered version of my piece, struggling to beat the 9pm Eastern Time deadline. Now, I see that I have new life. I hope I can put together a better performance and update my submission.

Thanks for running this recital, Sam. thumb

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Awesome. I just submitted a butchered version of my piece, struggling to beat the 9pm Eastern Time deadline. Now, I see that I have new life. I hope I can put together a better performance and update my submission.

Thanks for running this recital, Sam. thumb

Pull an all-nighter and make the perfect recording!

That wouldn't work for me, though. I would get worse as the night progressed. I am a morning lark - which is why the recital closes at 5AM - time to go to bed...

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:31 AM

Hey can anyone here give me some advice? I have a recording without clipping (yay!) but the overall volume is really low. Are there any guidelines about how much to raise the gain? Also, I'm in Audacity, when I export out to MP3 will it keep that setting?

TIA!

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:36 AM

The best place to get the correct level is when you are doing the recording. I know you don't want to hear that, since you have already gone through the heart-breaking process of getting a recording. But you can do post-processing (in Audacity) and raise the volume - it's just not ideal. Anything you do will be preserved when you convert to mp3.

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:41 AM

Sam, thanks for responding. I've been having a hard time because if I raise the recording level, I get some weird metallic clip/buzz/feedback in just one part of the keyboard, and it's beyond unpleasant. To avoid that, I lowered the recording level and moved the mic farther back from the piano. No noise but now the total volume is super low.

I'm going to try Audacity's amplify across the whole track and see how that works.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:44 AM

Ok, I think this will work. Or rather, it will have to work! Better than nothing, right?

Overall the recording quality is not great (and you hear my pedal clicking throughout frown

So whatever might be lost by doing that amplify function, well, I just don't think there was much to lose in the first place! whome

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Ok, I think this will work. Or rather, it will have to work! Better than nothing, right?

As Voltaire said, "Perfect is the enemy of good."
Posted By: Monica K.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Hey can anyone here give me some advice? I have a recording without clipping (yay!) but the overall volume is really low. Are there any guidelines about how much to raise the gain? Also, I'm in Audacity, when I export out to MP3 will it keep that setting?

TIA!

When I was working with Audacity, I would use the "Amplify" editing effect to raise the overall volume. You can click an option to raise it as much as possible without clipping.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 01:51 AM

I'm pretty sure he didn't have my crummy recording in mind as his definition of good though! laugh

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 02:05 AM

Hi Monica, thanks for the tip! That's what I did, I think it will do.

More importantly, I'm in at #57, woo hooo!! First ABF recital submission in a very long time! smile

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 02:25 AM

Looks like there are a lot of good entries. Looking forward to listening.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 02:31 AM

For some reason, my mp4 video files plays perfectly on my computer, but when I upload to Youtube, there are audio gaps of 10-60 seconds long. I've uploaded multiple times and the gaps are in different places each time. Has anyone encountered this? It isn't the Youtube copyright filters running amok, is it?

I'm completely re-transcoding the video now into a fresh video file and going to try to upload it again in case Youtube tripped on something in the video file.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 04:32 AM

For some reason, my mp4 video files plays perfectly on my computer, but when I upload to Youtube, there are audio gaps of 10-60 seconds long. I've uploaded multiple times and the gaps are in different places each time. Has anyone encountered this? It isn't the Youtube copyright filters running amok, is it?

I'm completely re-transcoding the video now into a fresh video file and going to try to upload it again in case Youtube tripped on something in the video file.

Nothing worked until I had someone else upload the file to Youtube from his Windows 10 machine. Voilà! No more gaps/glitches/lag as I had uploading the exact same video from my MacBook. Don't know that this really is a MacBook vs Windows thing and some obscure interaction with Youtube, but at least my submission for the recital is done and I really don't want to do any more troubleshooting of Youtube and my Mac after midnight laugh Just calling this a win and moving on! thumb
Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 05:48 AM

Well here I am, nearly the 11th hour before recital day and I'm still screwing around like there's another week left.

Problem is, I just planted 14 Austrian Pine Trees over the past few days and my arms and hands are pumped up like Popeye. and not in a good way! This was not planned but Home Depot just put all their trees on sale at 1/2 price and we just happened to be in the market for several trees to block the view of a neighbors shed.

When we were loading up a few trees, the rep for the garden center came up to us and said "if you take them all..[14 of them], I will take another 50% of the total bill". Now, I'm not great in math, but I was really liking what I was hearing, so I took them all because I am super cheap and when it comes to good deals...I get weak!

So here I am, maxed out on Ibuprofen, caffeine and carbs [to get the work done], but can't play a thing. Fortunately, I did make a backup recording earlier in the week which will have to do. It's not my best performance but it should sound a lot better than whatever ham-handed, rubber-band knot my fingers would produce now.

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 09:09 AM

OK, recital is closed. It will take some time to process everything, but it will show up gradually over the next couple of hours.

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 09:19 PM

OK, recital is closed. It will take some time to process everything, but it will show up gradually over the next couple of hours.

Sam

Assume #55 will be pinned? It's drifting down...

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/15/19 09:23 PM

I lack the permissions to do it. I asked BB Player this morning...

Sam

Re: Recital 55 - Call for Submissions - 08/16/19 08:06 AM

Assume #55 will be pinned? It's drifting down...

I lack the permissions to do it. I asked BB Player this morning...

We can start a #55 bump club! Everyday one of us in the club bumps the recital. smile
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums