Piano World Home Page

Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room

Posted By: AB Forum Recital

Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 09:37 AM

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #54!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #54 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #54 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music!
Posted By: Sam S

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 12:44 PM

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin

Monica, you get the superwoman award, to play so wonderfully when I know you are not well. Hopefully your music brings some joy and relief to your day.

Sam
Posted By: Jerzyk19

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 02:49 PM

I would like to do my first recital comments ever. I don’t know if I’m experienced enough for it but let’s give it a try. First few at start:

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4

Very nice played, good tempo, balance between hands and rubato. I can feel your pain as well wink. I have played this not so long time ago, so I know that it’s not easy.

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October

Calm nostalgic piece played with feelings. Piano looks good as well. I like it.

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784

Flowless playing in good tempo. It’s looks so easy when you play it.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven

I’m not sure it I will be credible it this case as the pianist is my younger brother and my piano teacher. Apart that, I was helping in video editing. Ignoring all of it, I have to say that I love the piece in this arrangement. Excellent dark mood, deep base and powerful piano give me goose bumps.
Posted By: Peyton

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 04:57 PM

31. RogerRL- I was looking forward to hearing this. I've been working on a number of glass's etudes, this one included, so its really nice to hear other players interpretations. You did well. That last section, where it slows to 120, I think is the toughest.
Posted By: Qwerty53

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 06:42 PM

Starting near the end, as is my wont. (I wanted to say wont. I could say it again but I won't.)

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Sounds great! But shouldn’t you have offered a “spoiler alert” in your description?! Just kidding; nice to have this background.

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement This middle movement of the first Clementi sonatina is a lovely piece. (I worked on it with my teacher earlier this year, learning what a “sonata” is). Not easy to get it just right, at tempo; great work!

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt Ah, lovely. The beginning of this movement always reminds me of the classical music radio program, decades ago, that began with this as its theme song; then a lovely warm voice would say, with a slight European accent, “Hel-LO everyone.” I had to ask a musician friend: what is that piece of music? It’s the “pathetic sonata,” she said, and made me laugh. Far from pathetic! Nothing lost in translation to your heartfelt playing; it brings across the rich emotion.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) Wonderful playing! Hard to believe you are so new at the piano. Thanks for sharing this little gem.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven VK makes unexpected choices for her arrangements! I have heard of Metallica but wouldn’t recognize any of their music; I am glad to hear this piece. Interesting to see your recording setup; is your Zoom pointed down into the piano, or up toward the room?

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain) Refreshing rainshower, especially after the dark and stormy Metallica of ZsolpyW’s piece! Despite your warning, I think you have done justice to this piece, playing with great expressiveness.

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor Oh my, this is wonderful, played with great verve and dash! Now I have to go find more Seixas (and Scarlatti!) to listen to. I love how the recitals introduce us to rarities along with the familiar repertoire.

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses Great to hear about this collection of interesting yet accessible pieces. Your playing is an excellent recommendation for Tansman; I haven’t heard much of his music but I’m going to go find some.

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach Well done! I love this Bach prelude and glad you have shared your version. The flute sound takes me back to childhood, sitting on a hard wooden pew listening to our neighbor Ruth play the church organ.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight Another less-familiar and lovely piece, nicely played. Shows the fruits of practice sessions in the wee hours!

56. Sam S - November Fire A beautiful end to this recital! Thank you for sharing your music, along with your technical labors on behalf of everyone.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 07:05 PM

A few more:

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement Gorgeous playing; such a beautiful memorial to your father.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth What a wonderful debut! Very expressive, short and sweet, fresh to my ears. Hope your recital went well!

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm Wow! You did a bang-up job playing one of my favorite Gershwin pieces – and you did it by ear! More please!

36. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Kiss the rain You play this with nice feeling. It is interesting to hear the background on this piece; have never seen the movie Twilight, but the town where it was filmed is not far away. “Kiss the Rain” sounds essential repertoire for the long wet winters here!

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540) I am so glad that “adult beginner” extends to such a level of accomplishment; inspiring performance! It leaves me with a feeling of blissful calm.

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude Welcome back! And Albeniz is always welcome to my ears.
Posted By: KevinM

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 09:08 PM

Never have I used the word beautiful so often. But it was apt in every case. So much talent.

I'm in awe.

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle

Interesting piece well played.

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca

Nicely lyrical - I like how your fingers sound like they wander over the whole of the keyboard.

Beautifully played and I think captures the essence of the piece.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret

I love that you can hear two different melodies.

05. MarieJ - Limbo

Another beautiful piece.

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy

Really interesting, nicely played, excellent rhythm.

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio

Hauntingly beautiful.

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3

The absolute best. :-P

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1

Love the sound of this. A nice personal interpretation.

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag

Excellent interpretation of this classic

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15)

Lovely dynamics, captures well the idea of a bird flitting about

Reminds me of Autumn, clear you have captured the feel of the piece.

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded

A lovely nice rich sound captures the piece beautifully.

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking

Wistful it really is. Well done.

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6)

Nicely done.

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772

I new it was Bach almost from the first note. Nice choice in piano sound.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event

Well done, I want to play this piece soon and I know it isn't going to be easy. It is quite an awkward piece.

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation

I'd so love to be able to improvise like this.

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle)

Interesting sounds and nice rhythms.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3

Captures the feel of a Waltz nicely.

This is properly atmospheric, capturing the composers intent I think.

I can picture the fingers dancing over the keys to play this. Lovely job.

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940

I love the way the short trills are done.

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage

Sounds effortless, like the fingers are wandering the length of the keyboard without effort.

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird

I love this interpretation. The quickness then stop. So bird like.

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" - Medley of three pieces by composers from three different eras that follow one imaginative story. Scherzo by Dmitri Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Rick Robertson; Walking Piece by Igor Stravinsky.

I'm almost overloaded listening to such awesomeness by now and it continues. I love the clarity of the notes.

27. Ralph L. - Someone like you (Adele)

Interesting and holds together nicely.

28. snowfox - A minor waltz

A nice waltz with an interesting rhythm. I can picture the dancing.

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202

Nicely played. It feels like your two hands are talking to each through the notes they play.

30. thepianoplayer416 - Keyboard Suite in D Minor (HWV437) Allemande & Courante

A good choice of piano sound that helps to capture this piece. Well played.

31. RogerRL - Etude 9

Beautifully played. I love the change in feel about 2 minutes in.

32. Balezin Dmitry - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

A fantastically interpretation of this classic.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement

I like this interpretation. Well played.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth

Really nicely played. The piece flows nicely.

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm

You really do and you give it to this piece.

36. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Kiss the rain

Beautiful.

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540)

Well played. You capture the piece well.

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude

This piece is foreign to my experience. I enjoyed it and found it interesting.

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version)

Beautifully played. I'm serenaded.

40. joangolfing - Bourree One and Two (French Overture) BWV 831

Nicely played.

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden

A beautiful piece played beautifully.

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4

lovely

43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March

Feels like a fun march.

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons"

Lovely.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue

Nicely haunting, well played.

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera

Well played.

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement

Nicely done, well played.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt

Lovely sensitive playing of this classic.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16)

Nicely played.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven

Properly foreboding. Nicely played.

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain)

Nice piece, played well.

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor

Really enjoyed this.

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses

Lovely little piece played well.

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach

Beautiful.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight

Beautiful, well played.

56. Sam S - November Fire

An excellent ending to an excellent recital.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 10:06 PM

1. Wouter- Really nice. Short and sweet. Reminds me a bit of Schubert?

2- Claudemir- Very sweet piece and well played. I like how you are giving us a little of your home land.

3. Mosotti- Well played. But you had me laughing before i ever listened... "My pain was real" thumb

5. MarieJ- I love it. What a quite, poignant ending. And I can totally agree and identify when you say "Recording my practice efforts made me realize once again how invaluable these Recitals are, particularly to a self-directed learner like me." For sure. Like you, this is the only audience I have and I really want to "polish" the piece for them as best as I can. Without them i would probably just fly off to another work without really finishing.
Posted By: MarieJ

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 10:29 PM

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle That was unusual, and I liked it a lot. It reminded me of a photographic negative - the reverse of what I expected to hear, with the left hand carrying the melody.

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca I’m not familiar with Chiquinha Gonzaga (or choros); I’d like to hear more of her work. Very nicely played!

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 One of my favourite pieces by Chopin, played with so much emotion. For someone who has only been playing for 1 year 7 months, that was exceptional.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret Wow - Peyton, that was a really special treat for Tiersen fans! Loved the piece, loved the way you played it, loved the video. Thank you!

05. MarieJ - Limbo Hmmm. A hard act to follow after #4! smile
Posted By: piano_primo_1

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by KevinM
Never have I used the word beautiful so often. But it was apt in every case. So much talent.

Beautiful.

Thank you for a kind comment. blush My submission needs work and I know. It was really fun learning though...the added midi data which I learned I could re-route midi data already recorded to my Casio and play along another part [the flute] on a new midi track, then throw it together. And, the rush to get in, in part because I didn't want to skip a recital. So thanks again. cool cool

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/15/19 11:18 PM

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy Music to dance to, indeed, whether performed on an accordion or on a piano. With the video adding extra atmosphere, that was a special performance!

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio A haunting composition, played with great feeling. Beautiful.

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 I’m not qualified to comment on technical aspects, so from a purely subjective viewpoint: that was very sensitively played.

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1 I’m in awe, that you could capture all of this in a single take. I didn’t hear errors or unwanted noises - just a magnificent performance.

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag This should have been dubbed ‘The Entertainer’, as it most certainly was! laugh Great fun!
Posted By: jotur

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 12:04 AM

04. Peyton - Porz Goret Yes, quite lovely and full of charm. Well played with a very nice feel to it.

05. MarieJ - Limbo Wow, very nice. Congratulations on the polishing - after 25 years I still haven't learned to do that. This was terrific.

06. Jerzyk19 Pamietam Twoje Oczy I love it! I play lots of dance music but I haven't come to terms with tangos yet, but you've certainly got them figured out!

08. KevinM - Song Without Words Opus 30.3 I liked it a lot. Great interpretation and expressiveness.

11. BSharp(c)yclist - Little Wood-bird I like the sort of cheerful, lively feel you gave to this. Well done.

12. cmb13 - Autumn Song Another well-played piece that I enjoyed listening to.

Wonderful, and so confidently played. Very playful.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 01:09 AM

More:
39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version) I enjoyed listening to this moody piece.

40. joangolfing - Bourree One and Two (French Overture) BWV 831 Always happy to hear Bach. Nice work with challenging pieces!

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden I’ve never heard this before, but I enjoyed your playing, and also your commentary: I’m off to the pub soon to find the one I am planning to hug.

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4 More Rachmaninoff! You made it sound great. I am glad you had a good experience on stage with it!

43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March Very peppy! How nice to hear the family story behind this piece, and how lucky for you to have a family of musicians!

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" You played well and this is a beautiful choice of music by one of my favorite composers (though, listening to these recitals, I keep adding to my list of favorite composers!).
Posted By: cmb13

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 02:42 AM

Here is my first batch. No real order except that I was in the car and listened to most of the ones that did not have videos first.

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle Very nice etude, thanks for introducing me to these. Well played.

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca I actually liked this quite a lot. It was very even and steady. Reminded me somehow of The Godfather! What exactly is a Choro?

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 Good playing. This remains a favorite of mine. I personally like soften the L a little to bring the melody out further - that will come with time.

05. MarieJ - Limbo Loved it, Marie. I liked the way you keep this minimalist piece emotional and bring out its beauty.

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy This is really well done, well played and edited. Enjoyed it...thanks for preserving history!

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio Alan, this piece is one of my personal favorites. I absolutely love this one and plan on coming back to it over and over, through the years. The piece is seemingly simple, yet so complicated in so many ways. There are tricky fingering and trills in the midst of figuring changes on the other hand. You played it well. As far as feedback, I’m in no position, but suppose if pressed I would suggest working on achieving a very gentle, subtle tone with the chords in the left hand. The trills could use a little work. These are things that I have to put work on as well. Beautiful job!

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag Fun piece, good job with it! Video was cool also!

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Good piece, not too long...I need a nice short one once in a while.

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded Really well done, Alan. Liked the piece and well played.

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) So happy there were others playing from the Seasons collection. Three total. Very nice, liked it. I'm in no position to critique your playing, but I do think the video would be better if recorded in landscape (horizontally) rather than portrait (vertically), and avoid shooting into the light which washes out the rest of the image.

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin So happy you were able to pull together a video with all that's going on. I was really glad to watch it and enjoyed it. Lunch sounds positively awful....I might suggest adding a little Hershey's Chocolate Syrup...either that or some Kettle One Vodka smile. Hoping for a rapid recovery.

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 Very pretty. I like those preludes and hope to learn them one day. I thought you brought out those voices nicely.

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage Ed, that was really cool! I must listen again. Thanks for the history behind the piece. Really helps understand it. Loved it.

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird Maybe it’s just the way you played it, or maybe it’s because it followed Ed’s piece, but it sounded really jazzy to me! Lot of fun, definitely different. I had never heard this piece. Thanks for playing it.

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" - Medley of three pieces by composers from three different eras that follow one imaginative story. Scherzo by Dmitri Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Rick Robertson; Walking Piece by Igor Stravinsky. That was really fun, nice and creative. I read the narrative as I listened and really enjoyed it. Alyssa is great, I agree. Thanks for sharing! smile

28. snowfox - A minor waltz What a wonderful piece to have in your repertoire. You should be pleased that you learned and tackled this. Yes, the tempo was a little uneven and there were some awkward spots with the fast runs/ turns, but you can come back to this as you learn more and smooth it out. You’ve now learned a real piece. Bravo!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 Interesting piece, a lot of movement, very vibrant. Sounds fun to play. This piece, if intermediate, must be for an advanced intermediate player!

31. RogerRL - Etude 9 Cool piece, good playing. I think Glass got a bump this year after the award at The Kennedy Center.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement Well, you’re right, I think that’s the first time I’ve heard this presented here. I too learned the first movement but never learned the second (and certainly not the third). The first is just sooo powerful. The second is lighter and airy. A real delight. I think you played it beautifully, with such expression and such control. Bravo!

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth Omg with your description I was ready for a real novice work, 8 months of lessons, grade 1 exam and all...but that piece stands up! Nothing to make light of. It’s quick, light, accurate, has movement. Well done. Nothing to be embarrassed about here. Hope the exam went well!

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm Cute! I enjoyed the changes in tempo. This brought back memories. I felt like I was watching a Broadway play with my parents in the 70s.

36. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Kiss the rain Constantin, that was just spectacular. It is so nice that we have some experienced pianists performing in this recital. It brings us hope, something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing your mastery of the piano with us!

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude Definitely different, unique, interesting piece. I had to listen twice to understand it! Did you have some sort of effect on it or is this the way your piano sounds? So exotic! Thanks for sharing it and have fun at the live recital.

40. joangolfing - Bourree One and Two (French Overture) BWV 831 Very nice. I have to say, I used to hate Bach’s music, mainly just because I didn’t understand it and couldn’t play it. Now, particularly after the Bach recital, I understand it better (but still can’t play it lol). But now I understand what a genius he was. Such complexity and musicality. Great job on these pieces.

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden Well, I’ll admit that I really like this one, in fact I like it a lot better than your last recital submission. And I don’t even remember what that one was! This one made me want to go hug someone. I was hiking through the woods at the time, and came across a porcupine, so I gave it a big squeeze! Now I’m sitting in the ER getting sutures and a rabies shot. Thanks a lot!

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" So happy to hear another month from the Seasons! Those runs seem tricky and relentless....they just keep coming! That Petyr! Thanks for the tip on October.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight Coming along really nicely, Lt, very good playing. Enjoyed the piece, hadn't heard it before. Volume was a little low. Interesting home page link...I had already read about the character elsewhere. IBFTL. Couldn't get last though...was fixed!

Pls excuse typos - iPhone and spellcheck hazard

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 03:14 AM

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 Simply beautiful. What a treat!

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 And more Bach! Lovely!

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage Very interesting to hear this; beautifully played.

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird (to do) Hello, B.C.! I had little exposure to Schumann until I started playing piano, but now I find his work is full of delights like this one. I can hear the birds in your playing. Exquisite!

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" – Medley: Scherzo by Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Robertson; Walking Piece by Stravinsky. What an entertaining story you tell with this! Very vivid, very nice playing.

27. Ralph L. - Someone like you (Adele) Your playing is good on this lovely melody, but I found the distortion guitar a bit overpowering.

28. snowfox - A minor waltz For less than a year of playing, this is an ambitious choice, but you play it very musically!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 I could listen to Albeniz for a lot longer than five minutes! Thanks for breaking your own rules to share this.

30. thepianoplayer416 - Keyboard Suite in D Minor (HWV437) Allemande & Courante Thanks for sharing this lovely piece by Handel!

31. RogerRL - Etude 9 You really bring this piece to life; well done!

32. Balezin Dmitry - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) This piece has such energy, and it is coming right along: good job!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 04:02 AM

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October This is simply lovely. It’s on my “aspiration” or “someday” list. Nice to hear your new piano; you make it sound great!

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded Sounds familiar but I’m not sure from where. You played it very well, with great assurance.

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Charming music, charming account of its context. Listening to it made me feel happy.

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) This is beautiful; I can understand why you wanted to play it, and you did a beautiful job.

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772 Beautifully done! And reassuring to know that it is possible to bring back a piece so quickly and so well; you did it, so maybe (maybe!) I could too.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event Wow, does this ever convey its title: it really conjures up An Important Event!

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation I especially like the grand feeling with which this begins, and the way it wraps itself up at the end.

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June-Barcarolle) Love having so many of Peter Ilich’s seasons (months) to enjoy. Well played!

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3 Ahhhhh. . .! I am listening to it a second time, as I must have missed that glaring wrong note you mentioned. Nope, still can’t hear it, still enjoying this!

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin A beautiful, bittersweet sound. Thank you for sharing your music and yourself with your PW community.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 04:29 AM

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle Lovely way to begin this recital! I’d like to hear more of Heller.

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca Nice to know about the composer, Chiquinha Gonzaga, and her history. Wikipedia says that choro music is “characterized by virtuosity, improvisation and subtle modulations, and is full of syncopation and counterpoint.” We can all use more of that in our musical lives! Finding new music like this is one of the great pleasures of these recitals!

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 Oh my, you turned your pain into great beauty.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret A lovely piece, very evocative.

05. MarieJ - Limbo You manage to bring out the emotion “between” the notes; well done.

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy What a fun piece! Full of energy. I always love to hear a tango.
Posted By: Ted

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation I especially like the grand feeling with which this begins, and the way it wraps itself up at the end.

Thanks for listening. That pleases me as I have always thought myself a big dud at beginnings and endings. My teacher was always going on about "rounding things off" but I never understood why.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 05:03 AM

I'd so love to be able to improvise like this.

Thanks for listening, Kevin. It just amounts to a slowly developing lifelong habit. Had I been any good at classical and jazz it might never have happened. I don't think it requires much musical knowledge, just persistence and a strong drive to create.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 05:37 AM

I always find your recordings a treat, Peter, they have nice chords and lyrical flow.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 05:44 AM

I actually thought it probably was Satie and I started visualising street scenes at night by Edouard Cortes. It's a nice piece, and you play it expressively; it suits the character of your piano sound too.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 05:56 AM

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Another new-to-me piece; these Recitals provide a treasure-trove of new possibilities. It certainly didn’t sound ‘easy’ to me, though. Well done!

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Your playing (and your venerable Steinway) captured all of the quiet wistfulness? sadness? regret? of Autumn. That was lovely.

13. EdmondRhapsody - Faded I can see why this piece stayed with you, it’s melodious and catchy. I’ve added it to my ‘maybe one day’ list. Nicely played!

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Wistful because the young lady is growing up? Delightful, Peter.

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) A really beautiful piece, played superbly - I’m so glad you found time to learn and record this to share with us!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 08:37 AM

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772 A lovely flowing rendition. Congratulations, not only for polishing it to this high standard in such a short time, but also for recording it in a single take. That’s something I can only dream about.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event That piece is reminiscent of a fanfare - which would be appropriate for an ‘important event’. You handled it very well.

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation I look forward to your entries, Ted - so much going on, evoking so many images. This one uncertainly didn’t disappoint!

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) Ah - another wonderful piece from Tchaikovsky’s Seasons, and yes, it was very enjoyable.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3 I didn’t hear a ‘glaring’ wrong note - which confirms the idea that we are all our own toughest critics smile. Beautifully played!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MarieJ

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation I look forward to your entries, Ted - so much going on, evoking so many images. This one uncertainly didn’t disappoint!

Thanks for listening, Marie, glad you like it. I'm not very good at formal composition, possibly because ideas have to be excluded, and I find that hard to do. Images and associations are part of the joy of listening to music, so I am pleased my playing triggers them for you.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 10:38 AM

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin Another Einaudi first - the hauntingly beautiful ‘Song for Gavin’ has never appeared in an ABF Recital before. As always, Monica, your performance inspires, and sets a benchmark for the rest of us. I’m thrilled that you were still able to participate despite everything that’s going on in your life at the moment.

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 I’m unable to give technical feedback, but I can certainly give applause - a spirited rendition, nice work!

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 How true - the more our playing improves, the more demanding our expectations, so there’s always that ‘gulf’. Your hard work shows - that was lovely!

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage ‘Floating and ambiguous’ describes this unusual piece accurately. I can add ‘and very enjoyable’!

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird That was quite an amazing piece, not at all what I expected. Beautiful, so delicately played - congratulations!
Posted By: barbaram

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 04:09 PM

First batch: 1-21 and 50 - 56
Terrific mix of familiar and new (to me)!

Lovely piece, so much more than the idea of a “study” or “etude” would suggest. You and your teacher may have areas for further improvement in mind, but coming to it fresh this was a delight with really engaging rhythm, flow and harmonies.

Very nice character to this piece, and you have a lovely flow and great accuracy.

Super job for the amount of time you have been playing. Don’t think I could do anything like as well and I have a lot more years under my belt!

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
Lovely. I really enjoy the soothing, mesmeric quality of Tiersen. Love Glass too, but soothing is perhaps not the adjective I’d apply to his work

05. MarieJ - Limbo
I know exactly what you mean about the challenge of extracting the music. You have certainly succeeded here, this was a very enjoyable performance

Fab, I love the piece and you have done a great job. I’m extra impressed that you have adapted this from an accordion arrangement. Bravo

Lovely, gentle flow throughout, very nice

I very much like the contrast between deeper, more intense phrases and lighter, gentler ones

Lovely dreamy quality, though I sure was jolted awake by your marvellous flourish around the 2 min mark

I loved the energy of this – it bounces along but never feels rushed

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) What a sweet little piece, you did a great job with it

Very evocative! I feel the bittersweet nostalgia of misty cool afternoons walking through falling leaves, and cosy evenings by the fire

Lovely, this works very well as a piano solo piece

Great stuff Peter

Beautifully done

Lovely – I particularly enjoyed the interplay of the voices which I think you have balanced beautifully, and your graceful ornaments

As I listen to your piece I can really imagine a little boy all dressed up for an important event, perhaps a little suit and short trousers, and taking himself and the event very seriously indeed!

Wow, amazing to be able to improvise like this

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) Great moody opening! There is a melancholy here, at first anyway, that surprises me for a piece entitled “June”

Gorgeous, you have really succeeded in creating a beautiful rich sound, well done

So glad to hear your lovely performance in this recital Monica. We’re all rooting for you.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven
Terrific!

Cute piece, you create that sense of rain very effectively

Bravo! Exquisite

Another lovely Tansman piece, and very nicely done.
I look forward to hearing your Clementi too. It’s a chunky undertaking though, and I’m sure it will benefit from the additional time to really settle and mature for you.

Such a lovely familiar piece, and the flute adds great interest

What a lovely piece. It’s familiar but I didn’t know what it was. You’ve done a great job with it, well done

There have been quite a few brooding pieces in this recital and this is right up there! It strikes me too as the kind of piece where you really need to let the pauses and silences count. I enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks for introducing me to something new, and thank you so much for taking on the job of organising this recital. Much appreciated.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 04:10 PM

Excellent recital, as usual - Skipping around among the classical pieces...

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 - Well done! My only suggestion - experiment with different articulations, especially detached notes.

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 This is one of my favorites - love the minor key and chord progressions. Excellent!

25. Palmpirate - The Prophet Bird How have I never heard this before? So odd - sounds just like a bird! And then the middle section was very different - loved your legato playing there. Loved it!

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" - Medley of three pieces by composers from three different eras that follow one imaginative story. Scherzo by Dmitri Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Rick Robertson; Walking Piece by Igor Stravinsky. Very creative programming - and excellent playing! I think they worked well together.

28. snowfox - A minor waltz Can't tell it's above your level! Sounded great!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 I can see why you like it so much. You can break your rules anytime! excellent playing as usual.

30. thepianoplayer416 - Keyboard Suite in D Minor (HWV437) Allemande & Courante Excellent! Cool how your piano changed color in the middle of the video! (just kidding)...

31. RogerRL - Etude 9 I'm not a Glass fan, but I liked this - you handled it well.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement Nicely done! Loved the dynamic contrasts.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth That's a well-written piece - and well played!

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540) Excellent - loved the contrasts! Sounds like an opera overture...

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude Prelude to a bullfight? Sounds like you are ready! Good luck in your recital!

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version) OK, when you get really going, the camera starts shaking! Good job!

40. joangolfing - Bourree One and Two (French Overture) BWV 831 Sounds like all you hard work has paid off - these are really excellent!

More to come!
Sam

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 04:44 PM

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio Heavenly. What a beautiful piece! I hope to play it someday.

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 You played this with great sensitivity.

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1 I enjoyed your beautiful nocturne. Your reported loss of concentration and speaker noise were not evident to me, but then again the last time I heard this piece, the pianist was interrupted by a fire alarm! Wonderful to hear the whole thing so well played.

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag Such a buoyant piece of music, and you play it with considerable dash and energy, just as it should be! Although perhaps a bit too fast?

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Beautiful choice, and you played it very well, with nice handling of the balance between voices.
Posted By: Riddler

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 05:05 PM

But oh, there is nothing that soothes the soul after a trying day better than a bit of Chopin! Beautiful playing!

The beginning of this piece reminds me a lot of the beginning “Winter” from Vivaldi’s “The Seasons”. I wonder if there was a connection. In any case, good playing on your part.

Wonderful expression, with a feeling of warmth and serenity. Well done.

Very spirited, musical, enjoyable. Cool video, too!

Charming short piece. Nicely done!

Peter, that was terrific! Wonderful melodies, harmonies, arranging. Your creations are getting better as you age, in spite of your humble pronouncements!

Lovely, very musical and appealing.

Ed

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 05:27 PM

28. snowfox - A minor waltz lovely, and a delicate feel to it.

27. Ralph L. - Someone Like You I like the use of the background - the full-production feel. Very well done.

26. Snejana - A Walk in the Forest Well done, nice choices for the medley, very calm and peaceful feeling.

24. Riddler - Maiden Voyage I am always awed by your adventurousness into this music, and this was cool - I had images of contemplating a spring evening looking out over city lights.

23. barbaram - Prelude Bach! You did this justice. I liked it a lot.

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin Your music is so easing and beautiful that I think you should listen to all your past cds in order to give yourself space in this time of trouble. This was beautiful.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor You continue to impress me with your progress and focus. This was so well-played and I loved it.

19. Associate X - Seasons I didn't know I'd recognize this smile I thought you handled the dynamics and flourishes well.

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event I loved it! So jolly and jaunty, and your touch was perfect.
Posted By: RogerRL

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Peyton
31. RogerRL- I was looking forward to hearing this. I've been working on a number of glass's etudes, this one included, so its really nice to hear other players interpretations. You did well. That last section, where it slows to 120, I think is the toughest.
those simultaneous leaps in both hands certainly required a lot of work. And you can hear the pause as I was trying so hard not to make a mistake there; I'm still working on getting that section seamless.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 06:40 PM

More, mostly classical...

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden I love this Mr S-H. You may have found your true style!

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4 Your hard work definitely paid off. I admire Rachmaninoff a lot, but have never played any of his pieces - maybe some day. Well done!

43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March Cathy, this is so cool! Bringing back to life the music composed by your family. A really interesting project and great playing - yes I can hear the band in there somewhere...

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" Well, it certainly sounds "difficult". Excellent!

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue Loved your description! And the music!

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement It wouldn't be a student recital without Clementi! Well done.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt Very nice - loved the video, with all the different camera angles. Must have been multiple takes, or do you have that many cameras? Wish I had a monitor that big on my old piano...

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) Very energetic - loved it!

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain) What fun! Well done!

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor I'm speechless - outstanding!

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses Very well done! Next time - Clementi...

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach I play this with my wife on recorder or clarinet - nicely done.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight I got so caught up in trying to figure out your home page link that I forgot to listen!

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle You bring out the LH melody very well - sounds great!

02. Claudemir Medeiros - Lua Branca Nicely done - love Brazilian music!

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 Love the little nuances you include!

04. Peyton - Porz Goret I've never heard this - loved it! Your videos are always so artistic - and they match your pieces very well...

07. akc42 Alan Chander - BWV 974 Adagio I love this piece - sounds even better in the original with wind instrument and strings. Very well done!

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 I used to play this one - I just love Mendelssohn. Very nice!

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1 Very sensitive playing!

10. Thomas - Maple Leaf Rag Nicely done - my suggestion - slow it down. If you slow it down you can play it cleaner, and I think Joplin always said not to play his pieces fast.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) Well done - loved the ending!

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Very sensitive playing - loved it!

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Excellent tinkering around!

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) I've always loved this piece! Excellent!

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772 Very confident!

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event Outstanding - you played it like you meant it!

19. Associate X (Liz) - Tchaikovsky- Seasons (June- Barcarolle) This is the only one of the seasons that I have played - it's so bittersweet - very Russian. Loved it!

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3 I agree with you about the multiple takes - you should be happy with this one!

Sam
Posted By: Balezin Dmitry

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 06:58 PM

I liked the ending a lot... and I wanted to here more od those
high pitched melodies.

I feel like it should be played by several guitars (2 or three). I can alomost here it. Interesting melodies.

03. Mosotti - Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 (to do)
When I see someone who has started not so long ago (as me) I kind of
pray for the piece to be well played (to assure myself that WE can do it). I liked your playing a lot. Chpoin is great!

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
I love Tiersen a lot...I play 3 of his things. And this one was new to me. I liked how it developed...layers of melodies are slowly added. Soothing.

05. MarieJ - Limbo
Ludovico Einaudi - I love him...I see it's popular. And I don't care that somebody says that He's too simple...I love the tunes and feel. You played it well. I'd like to watch your fingers move playing those melodies...it's a bit like trance.

Fron the first chords it was WOW...so assurtive after only 2 year 10 moths...I mean, I feel confidence and skill. Great...ok. Wrote this after 10 sec. of watching. Now I feel bad about my own hands position and technique...You've made great progress. Just great.

I feel that Bach is very "deep" and one can study and polish any piece
forever. Nicely played.

I like special effects and that "fast run" was a nice surprize.
Lovely playing

Great movie...very atmospheric. I feel like I'm watching black and white movie with no words. Great skills. Loved it.

Great playing. Interesting melody. One can really imagine a bird singing among trees.
Posted By: Claudemir

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 08:26 PM

Thank you guys. I'm glad you like this piece of slow choro.

If you are interested in listening professionals playing choros, please listen to "Época de Ouro" (Golden Age) celebrating the history of choro wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR98R_I2FxU
Posted By: Whizbang

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas
This time I am submitting my performance of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag since I am looking for advice on how to perform this better. So far I feel like my rhythm may have been off, but my issue is that I don't know when to use the pedal. I haven't found much info about this on the web so I am curious as to what you guys on here may think.

This was very nice.

I liked the intro quite a lot.

I think you are correctly assessing that you've got some rhythm issues going on. Your left hand is super solid, good job navigating the jumps, particularly in the difficult C section.

Your right hand, though, is wobbly, especially in the repeated right hand figure in measures 1-4 in the A section which have a kind of limping quality. I think this comes down to two factors: 1) I think the tempo you are aiming for is a good one, but it is pushing or rushing your technique 2) you are having some mechanical issues with the figure.

For the latter, I think it may be because you are playing the notes with just finger articulation, but regardless, I think if you dial the tempo back in general, your right hand figures will become more even, you'll get fewer 'clipped-sounding' notes, and you'll be able to tweak the movements at a slower pace until they work better at the faster pace.

In terms of pedaling, you are correct that there is not often a lot of guidance in many printed rags. Where Joplin has something notated, it usually indicated he means it, but there is no notation here.

Your basic ragtime pedal decision is going to be between no pedal or pedaling twice per measure. Because of the stride bass, if you choose not to pedal, you're going to get a pretty significant chop in the bass as the dampers alternatively suppress the boom and the chuck. Pedaling twice makes the bass more of an extended chord and you can then choose to make the sound fuller by holding the pedal longer or crisper by lifting the pedal on the chuck. When the bass walks, it generally makes sense to not pedal so that the sound does not get muddy.

From a notation standpoint, Maple Leaf is notated extremely sparsely (too sparsely IMO), but note that the ascending arpeggiated figure in measures 7 and 8 is marked p, which the following measure starting at mf followed by a crescendo and, while you don't necessarily have to follow that as written, ragtime benefits from applying some dynamic variation--if played at constant volume it can become a little mind-numbing. Joplin's later rags definitely tend to offer more dynamic guidance.

In the B section. you are nailing measure 5, which is one of my trouble measures. You start with an octave variation, which is nice. These types of variations are (almost certainly) representative of performance practice. These variations also help deal a bit with the monotony issue I mention... within a given section a common ragtime 'stanza' is ABAC... with the repeat, that would be ABAC ABAC and that's a lot of times you have to hear A. Variations help keep things fresh.

(Generally, my teach usually prefers that I play the first time straight and only introduce variants on the repeats.)

For your C section, you are nailing some tough stuff.

Both C and D sound pretty solid. You push the rhythm a couple times in C and D. Nice variations at the end of D.

Overall you do a good job of avoiding tempo creep, a personal issue I struggle with, though I think you're rushing a bit towards the end.

I think all the above boils down to a recommendation to dial back on the tempo some, so you can fix evenness and can fully articulate the notes. At this point, it sort of feels like the music is coming at you a little bit faster than you are mechanically/mentally able to process it.

As for pedal, play around and see what you like.

Again, nice job.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 10:09 PM

I was going to add a few further notes on the pieces I especially loved but I am just going to leave it to this one which has a personal connection.

I hope I'm not stealing your thunder here QuasiUnaFantasia, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

I so agree with you about this second movement, it is a neglected delightful piece worthy of its own attention.

This was the last piece I learnt as a child/teenager 40 years ago. I remember I learnt it well, I could play the first two movements of Moonlight Sonata from memory for the next couple of years. My father was the motivation for me playing, encouraging and then bribing with the offer of a guitar in the future which meant I kept on with the piano longer than I otherwise would have. I got the guitar as a birthday present, I remember he was a bit grumpy about it. He rightly recognised the guitar would just be a fly by night thing driven by my teenage self to try and be in the cool crowd. The piano lessons stopped and so did my progress.

I am now estranged from my Father who a couple of years ago was diagnosed with a nasty form of dementia which results in delusions. I had to organise him to go into care and of course he feels betrayed, not able to recognise what he needs. He will not speak with me.

I recognise the piece so well after all this time, and it reminds me of this gift my father gave me that I haven't truly appreciated until recently.
Thank you.
Posted By: Handyman

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 11:06 PM

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Sounds great! But shouldn’t you have offered a “spoiler alert” in your description?! Just kidding; nice to have this background.

Thanks much - knowing the beginning and the ending is often only a very small part of a great story - how one gets from the first to the second can be complex and riveting and full of drama, mystery, excitement and surprises galore...

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/16/19 11:17 PM

A very good start with what is a surprisingly difficult piece to play really well. If I were you I would practise it a little more slowly using a light, precise, detached touch, metronomically correct, without pedal, taking care that every note was in its right place. Once you can play it reliably like that right through, which shouldn’t take too long, then gradually bring in pedal, accents, phrasing, legato groups, dynamics and interplay between the hands.
Posted By: dumka1

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by cmb13

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" So happy to hear another month from the Seasons! Those runs seem tricky and relentless....they just keep coming! That Petyr! Thanks for the tip on October.

Those runs aren't bad by themselves but coordinating them with the left-hand chords is a little tricky.

You're very welcome. I enjoyed your rendition of "October," it's very lyrical and evocative. My only suggestion would be to bring out the lower voice a bit more in the part when the same melody as the opening one is repeated in the left hand... I watched the video--nice grand piano! And your dog is very cute--and quiet (mine is a barker which makes the recording process quite unpredictable :)).

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 02:34 AM

Well done! Very musical and appealing. Impressive hand independence. I envy you “first take” guys – never works for me. 😊

I know nothing about this piece, but it does indeed have a majestic, stately feel to it, which your playing brings out superbly. Well done!

Delightful! I did not hear a clunker, so whatever mistake you made must have been an inoffensive one. Well done!

Gavin must have been a really good guy! I am very glad to see that you are still participating and I hope you take some comfort in knowing that all of us are rooting for you.

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 (to do)
Very nice! There is a hint of something more somber there, which reminds me of one of his choral works.

Ed

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 02:37 AM

04. Peyton - Porz Goret Nice playing, and good video production.

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 Kevin - this was one of the first “real” pieces of music I learned. I think I submitted it to a recital a couple of years ago. It was not my favorite as it seemed to have a religious flair to it, which isn’t really my style. I played it a little faster and less emotive, but then I was newer to piano then. I have to tell you, I really like your version. It’s a lot nicer than I was able to make it. Slower and way more emotive. Thanks for turning this piece of music which I didn’t particularly love into a beautiful work!

09. Sandalholme - Nocturne Op62 No1 What’s not to love about a Chopin Nocturne? Excellent performance. Love it.

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Very cool composition. Really enjoyed it. Too short!

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) Very pretty. I didn’t know this one as well as the other Venetian Gondola Song (30.6 I believe) but it’s very nice. You did justice to the piece!

16. noobpianist90 - Two Part Invention in C Major BWV 772 Very well done. This piece seems like it takes such intense focus and concentration. Sounded excelllent. Bravo!

17. Jason Lenthe - Important Event enjoyed it, Jason, good playing.

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation Ted, you certainly have a style all your own! Sounds like you want to be a progressive jazzer. Thanks for sharing your work.

20. sinophilia - Waltz in G# minor Op. 39 no. 3 I liked it but it wasn’t as gloomy as billed. Good playing as always.

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 That was really good! Very fast. Liked the piece. I should put that one on my wish list!

27. Ralph L. - Someone like you (Adele) Inlike hearing some pop and rock tunes once in a while. The only change I would make is that I felt the second voice was too loud and overwhelmed the piano voice. I’d remix it a little. Good playing, keep it up!

30. thepianoplayer416 - Keyboard Suite in D Minor (HWV437) Allemande & Courante Good job, big undertaking.

32. Balezin Dmitry - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) What a great song and how nice to hear some Rock and Roll! Keep it up, keep refining it.

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540) Nice job, long piece, quite an undertaking.

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version) That was really nice, Moo. Enjoyed it. Must be great to have a Rach piece or two under your belt. Great!

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor Oh wow! That’s amazing. Very impressive. I’ll never play that fast.

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses Good job, Ralph, well played. Awaiting the Clementi.

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach That was pretty cool I have to admit! I like how you adopted the Prelude - was that your own or from sheet? Was the L hand creating the flute sound? Enjoyed it.

56. Sam S - November Fire Nice, Sam, always nice to be able to put something together quickly. I hear the Satie in there. I’m it sure about the Seasons or Einauldi though. Enjoyed it.

Few more to go. Great recital!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 04:02 AM

18. Ted Jones - Improvisation Ted, you certainly have a style all your own! Sounds like you want to be a progressive jazzer. Thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks for listening. Any jazz influence would have to be coincidence. I have no idea what progressive jazz is and jazz in general doesn't interest me particularly. Nonetheless, the mind has a habit of absorbing anything it hears and bringing it out during improvisation, so there might be influences there which I am not consciously aware of. Interesting, thanks for pointing it out.
Posted By: noobpianist90

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 04:03 AM

I don't think I've heard all that much of Heller before. I liked this piece. I liked the melody in the bass a lot. Sounds very vaguely familiar to me.
I think I'll check out this collection of pieces. It seems like something that might be good for me to practice reading, and it sounds fun to play as well.
Thanks for sharing smile

Nicely done. That was very enjoyable. It had a very soothing and calming effect on me.
I could feel that the original was a song smile

That was very well done. Hard to believe you've been playing only for a year and a half.
I think you absolutely nailed the dynamics. I think that's the part where many beginners struggle a bit, especially with this piece. The tempo was also well measured.
I only wish you'd have tried for a better recording angle in your video.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
I liked it a lot. Lot of good things going on there. The music goes very well with the scenery.
One thing I did note was that the accompaniment could have been softer in some places. Especially when the music becomes a bit dissonant and the right hand becomes silent. For example, the part around 2:13. Of course, I could be completely wrong and the sheet music may indicate the opposite, but this is how I might have liked to interpret it smile

05. MarieJ - Limbo
This is a new Einaudi piece for me. I liked it smile
I totally get what you say about these Recitals and self-learning. Feels almost like you're describing me smile

Wow! That was very well done. The performance sounds like it has been polished to perfection. I can hardly believe you've been playing only for 2 years!
There were some very interesting (and challenging?) rhythms that were very enjoyable to listen to. The video was also very well edited.
Very well done!

Nice! I'm somewhat familiar with this piece. I've studied it a bit, even though I haven't tried playing it yet.
I think you played it quite well overall. I do have a couple of suggestions. I think it's a bit louder than it should be in some places. I prefer this piece to be more subdued.
I'd suggest listening to the original, the Oboe concerto. If you listen to it, you'll see that it's quite a subdued piece, and although the Oboe stands clearly above the accompaniment, it doesn't overpower. It's more introspective.
I also think the trills could be shaped a bit better, but this isn't too important.
With only a couple of years since re-starting, I think this is a fantastic achievement. Well done!

That was very well done! Smooth playing with good dynamics. I liked it a lot.
It always surprises me how well people tend to play such a short while after re-starting their piano journey.
The only thing I would improve upon would be the arpeggios in the intro. I think they would sound better played a bit more softly.

That was fantastic! I must have listened to this recording many times.
This is one of the harder Nocturnes, isn't it? Those scale and arpeggio runs sound very challenging. The trill section in the middle was very well done. Sounds very hard to pull off convincingly.
I might have liked the left hand part to be a bit louder in some places though. There are a lot of interesting things going on there. Of course, that's just my interpretive point of view.
The Steingraeber sound compliments this piece very nicely as well. Thanks for sharing smile

That video made me smile smile Nicely played overall.
I'm not very familiar with Joplin and ragtime, but I have heard this piece, and The Entertainer, played quite a few times here.
I think you've got all the notes. A few rhythmic hiccups is all that is left to work on, I think. Perhaps slowing down and practicing will help ironing out the few remaining issues.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 04:20 AM

I new it was Bach almost from the first note. Nice choice in piano sound.
Thank you

Beautifully done! And reassuring to know that it is possible to bring back a piece so quickly and so well; you did it, so maybe (maybe!) I could too.
Thank you
Yes, it is a good confidence boost to be able to bring it back quickly. And if I can do it, anyone can grin

A lovely flowing rendition. Congratulations, not only for polishing it to this high standard in such a short time, but also for recording it in a single take. That’s something I can only dream about.
Thank you
It's something that I used to dream about as well, until I was finally able to do it. Reading is the weakest link for me. I've been trying very hard to overcome this barrier.

Originally Posted by barbaram
Lovely – I particularly enjoyed the interplay of the voices which I think you have balanced beautifully, and your graceful ornaments
Thank you
The interplay of the voices, as you put it, was the hardest part about this performing this piece. It was just as challenging to decide on how to interpret it.
The ornaments... well... I stole most of them from Glenn Gould's recording grin

Originally Posted by Sam S
Very confident!
Thank you

Originally Posted by Riddler
Well done! Very musical and appealing. Impressive hand independence. I envy you “first take” guys – never works for me. 😊
Thank you
This is my first time getting the recording on the first take. Usually it's above 30 attempts grin I think it helped that the piece is relatively short.

Very well done. This piece seems like it takes such intense focus and concentration. Sounded excelllent. Bravo!
Thank you.
Yes it does take a bit of focus to play it. I think most Bach is like that. I imagine it gets a lot harder for longer pieces with more voices, like Fugues. I'm looking forward to the challenge smile
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 09:21 AM

I was going to add a few further notes on the pieces I especially loved but I am just going to leave it to this one which has a personal connection.

I hope I'm not stealing your thunder here QuasiUnaFantasia, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

I so agree with you about this second movement, it is a neglected delightful piece worthy of its own attention.

This was the last piece I learnt as a child/teenager 40 years ago. I remember I learnt it well, I could play the first two movements of Moonlight Sonata from memory for the next couple of years. My father was the motivation for me playing, encouraging and then bribing with the offer of a guitar in the future which meant I kept on with the piano longer than I otherwise would have. I got the guitar as a birthday present, I remember he was a bit grumpy about it. He rightly recognised the guitar would just be a fly by night thing driven by my teenage self to try and be in the cool crowd. The piano lessons stopped and so did my progress.

I am now estranged from my Father who a couple of years ago was diagnosed with a nasty form of dementia which results in delusions. I had to organise him to go into care and of course he feels betrayed, not able to recognise what he needs. He will not speak with me.

I recognise the piece so well after all this time, and it reminds me of this gift my father gave me that I haven't truly appreciated until recently.
Thank you.

I believe I can't truly imagine what it must feel like, being estranged from your father, yet having to be the one who takes care that he is as comfortable as possible, while being treated as a traitor by him for it. I am sorry that you and he find yourselves in that situation. I do imagine though, that deep down inside it must please him that your have taken up the piano again. It certainly pleased my father that I did.

It is striking how alike we are in these respects; I also quit piano playing lessons and got a guitar (which I'm sure my father viewed the same way your father viewed your guitar), but back then I never learned the second movement of the Moonlight, only the first.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 09:58 AM

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" - Medley of three pieces by composers from three different eras that follow one imaginative story. Scherzo by Dmitri Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Rick Robertson; Walking Piece by Igor Stravinsky. An interesting concept and story. The pieces you chose perfectly showcased your delicate touch.

27. Ralph L. - Someone like you (Adele) It’s not easy to coordinate playing along with a backing track, so well done! Having said that, to me the piano track sounded distorted (perhaps that was intentional?) and tended to overwhelm a promising performance.

28. snowfox - A minor waltz Wow - 10 months at the piano and you can play this with such style? Just brilliant. Congratulations!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 Ganddalf, that was absolutely beautiful What a treat!

30. thepianoplayer416 - Keyboard Suite in D Minor (HWV437) Allemande & Courante Nice work on your C3; I enjoyed your performance.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ted

Thanks for listening. Any jazz influence would have to be coincidence. I have no idea what progressive jazz is and jazz in general doesn't interest me particularly. Nonetheless, the mind has a habit of absorbing anything it hears and bringing it out during improvisation, so there might be influences there which I am not consciously aware of. Interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

Well jazz pianists have the freedom to meander. You might want to listen to Vijay Iher - he’s a jazz pianist I caught live at The Wigmore. Excellent improviser. Can be found on iTunes and other platforms, and on YouTube.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 10:52 AM

Thanks for that, never heard of Iher. I listened to a couple of examples and they are indeed very jazz oriented, rather akin to parts of Jarrett's solo concerts, of which I have several recordings. I shall listen to a few more in the morning, it is always interesting to hear a new piano personality.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:49 AM

Sorry typo or autocorrect. Vijay Iyer is the proper spelling.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 02:11 PM

51. Sam.- Pretty interesting. I can hear some Satie but I'm not sure about the Einaudi. smile

41. Mr. SH- As usual, you piqued my curiosity. One never knows what you will come up with! I think with this one you are now ready for the holiday Inn Ballroom. I can just see all the spellbound diners hugging and crying. but, seriously... Entertaining and very well played!

21. Monica- Very enjoyable. Very quite, thoughtful and poignant. Kind of different for Einaudi.
Posted By: AssociateX

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 05:25 PM

To those that commented on my June-Seasons/Tchaikovsky piece, many many thanks, I am honestly surprised it is being received well because after I uploaded the MP3 to the recital portal, I thought of deleting it and not participating. I felt it was not my best performance, I made a ton of mistakes and it is discouraging listening to measures that I thought were perfected and because of "red dot" recording syndrome, I botched those sections. I am hopeful many of you havent listened to the Ashkenazy version of the piece which is perfection to my ears and what I strived to come close to....I cant listen to my own recordings or anything on my YT channel because I just cringe..lol

As for the other entries, I am blown away by how clean everyone plays. It is impressive, I think I need to invest in a good digital piano because my Steinway and recording equipment also leaves much to be desired. I listened to everyone's entry when driving in the car (via Bluetooth) so I apologize for not being able to specifically offer detailed feedback (if I were at the computer listening, I would just type my feedback as I listen but not this time).

For now, these are the ones I felt I could offer some comments on.. I may update later as I listen a 2nd time to the entries:

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle (to do)
Absolutely beautiful!

Hearing this makes me want to print the sheet music and play it. What a gorgeous melody!

Wow, beautfully played. Only a few sections where it felt "note-y" but nothing that really detracted from the overall spirit of the piece.

The tempo is manageable for you in this piece, it is a technically challenging work to play this well and you didn't miss any beats! Very impressed! I loved the cleanly executed runs.

I am blown away by how accomplished and professional this sounds! Excellent execution of the melancholy nature of the piece, very expressive and great tone!
I loved it,

It was refreshing to hear this at this tempo, usually the professional recordings race through this piece at a faster clip. It is nice to hear every articulated note clearly.

Cute short piece. I felt like it would continue but then it stopped..look forward to hearing more in future recitals!

22. facdo - Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 (to do)
You play this so cleanly and evenly, love the articulation. I will have to listen to this again, I play this piece but always have some hesitations in certain spots.

28. snowfox - A minor waltz (to do)
Well played, I love playing this waltz also. I find there is a lot of room for expression in that middle section where its easy to linger for just a half second longer on that top note to give it color.

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement (to do)

I also play this one, and thought you did a phenomenal job on this! The tempo, dynamics, all of it were spot on.

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" (to do)
I only know this piece from the Ashkenazy Seasons CD and this recording sounds pretty darn close to perfection, very well played!

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt (to do)
Beautiful! You captured the essence of the expression in this one. I will have to listen to it again,

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 07:34 PM

Last bunch

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4 Really beautiful, nothing like a Rachmaninov prelude. Something to aspire to.

43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March Cathy, that’s very cool to have had a real composer in the family. This piece must have had special meaning for you for that reason. It sounded fun....I personally heard the trombones as well!

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue That was great, Qwerty, enjoyed it and glad you were able to find something to play at a manageable level that you can hold on to. I get in over my head sometimes too .... it’s frustrating.

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera What Ana maxing story. I began to read the book once or twice but never got into it and didn’t know the basis of the story. Maybe I’ll retry it. I also was considering reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame after the recent fire.

Regardless, you played the piece, which of course is easily recognizable, well and powerfully. Reading the background makes it all the more meaningful. Thanks!!!

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement I like this a lot better than that darned 1st movement! (At least to play). Great job, good balance.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt Wow - every time I hear this I think that I’d love to learn it one day. It’s so melodious and tranquil at the same time. That transition in Bar 17 is so nice (thanks for posting the sheet at times).Then the transition later on in 37 becomes so powerful. It reminds me of The Raindrop Prelude with its repeating notes, although not quite as stormy. You play this very well, nice and calmly and in control. Loved it!

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) (to do) That was really good! 14 months? Wow, you must be working hard and learning efficiently. You looked well controlled and smooth on the video. Commendable.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven Wow - amazing!!! I was never a fan of Metallica, thinking of them as a caricature - until I heard The Black Album in the early 90’s. After that it got frequent rotation! They really are superb musicians and composers. You did great on that piece. Gotta love VK. Great arrangement. You did it justice. So powerful. Maybe I’ll hit that one day. Seems a little hard for me now.

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain) Nice, fun, quick little ditty - good playing.

That concludes my listening for this recital. Despite the variation I levels, they were really all of high quality. Loved this one!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by AssociateX

I am blown away by how accomplished and professional this sounds! Excellent execution of the melancholy nature of the piece, very expressive and great tone!
I loved it,

Thanks, Liz! Appreciate it!

I feel your pain about the sound quality. I think my setup does little justice to the sound of the piano. I have a Blue Yeti mic, but it just doesn’t seem to capture the sound well enough.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 07:52 PM

I think my setup does little justice to the sound of the piano. I have a Blue Yeti mic, but it just doesn’t seem to capture the sound well enough.

Consider a pair of instrument mics designed for piano and appropriate stands and mounts, like this pair here.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jerzyk19

Calm nostalgic piece played with feelings. Piano looks good as well. I like it.

Reminds me of Autumn, clear you have captured the feel of the piece

Originally Posted by jotur

12. cmb13 - Autumn Song Another well-played piece that I enjoyed listening to.

[b]12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October This is simply lovely. It’s on my “aspiration” or “someday” list. Nice to hear your new piano; you make it sound great!

[b]12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October
Your playing (and your venerable Steinway) captured all of the quiet wistfulness? sadness? regret? of Autumn. That was lovely.

First batch: 1-21 and 50 - 56
Terrific mix of familiar and new (to me)!

Very evocative! I feel the bittersweet nostalgia of misty cool afternoons walking through falling leaves, and cosy evenings by the fire

Excellent recital, as usual - Skipping around among the classical pieces...
12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Very sensitive playing - loved it!

Thank you to everyone who listened and commented. Really appreciate it!!! I hope I didn’t botch the cut and pastes!!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I think my setup does little justice to the sound of the piano. I have a Blue Yeti mic, but it just doesn’t seem to capture the sound well enough.

Consider a pair of instrument mics designed for piano and appropriate stands and mounts, like this pair here.

Ah more $$! Lol. Are they USB or do they require a mixing board? I was trying to k.i.s!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 07:57 PM

Ah more $$! Lol. Are they USB or do they require a mixing board? I was trying to k.i.s!

Mixers are cheaper than the pair of instrument mics themselves. I have two of these particular ones myself for my piano setup. They work great. However, you don't need two. One of these can hand both mics in a match pair of instrument mics.

BTW, if you look at professional piano recording setups on Youtube, you'll see many use a very similar pair of instrument mics, miking a grand.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 09:02 PM

08. KevinM - Song without words Opus 30.3 Kevin - this was one of the first “real” pieces of music I learned. I think I submitted it to a recital a couple of years ago. It was not my favorite as it seemed to have a religious flair to it, which isn’t really my style. I played it a little faster and less emotive, but then I was newer to piano then. I have to tell you, I really like your version. It’s a lot nicer than I was able to make it. Slower and way more emotive. Thanks for turning this piece of music which I didn’t particularly love into a beautiful work!

Thanks for this.

I struggled with this piece, like I think I do with everything I learn, there is always something that is tricky.

I was playing it faster, and I couldn't keep it under control and I got it as good as I think I could play it and put it away and my teacher was happy for me to do that. I came back to it about 6 weeks later. Quickly fixed the new mistakes from being out of practise, but I did not listen to other interpretations and I felt a lot freer to play it at my own tempo how I wanted and this is the result. Practising can sometimes take the soul out of a piece. Repeatedly playing the weak bits, slowly, quickly and speeds in-between, listening to how it should be played. Sometimes I think you need a break from that.
Posted By: Moo :)

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 10:30 PM

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version) That was really nice, Moo. Enjoyed it. Must be great to have a Rach piece or two under your belt. Great!

Thank you. This was the first piece I completed successful. Elegie I think was too hard when I tried to learn it so am planing to finish it later this year. I'm playing another one Melody op 3 which is easier.

Apologise to my recording. I was very ill and had hiccups throughout but wanted to submit for the recital anyway. :p

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:14 PM

Well done on the pieces. I tend to comment only on the pieces I've played.

Well done. I hope you are inspired to learn some more pieces in the series. Its a fantastic series.

I enjoyed the video. I have no idea how to you did it as I'm not very technological but it looked good. Its interesting that we have piano roll recordings of Joplin playing and I found its very interesting he plays Maple Leaf Rag with a swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc

A fantastic interpretation. You managed to project the melody and keep the piece flowing. Very nice. Well done.

The tone sounds quite nice. Its a difficult piece for only 10 months. Good luck.

I think its a tricky piece to project the melody line. I was taught to legato the melody as far as possible. I think the fingerings suggested in your sheet allow you to legato the top line. Just my suggestion. Good luck.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16)

Nicely played smile

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by Moo :)

I enjoyed the video. I have no idea how to you did it as I'm not very technological but it looked good. Its interesting that we have piano roll recordings of Joplin playing and I found its very interesting he plays Maple Leaf Rag with a swing.

Not Joplin.

How do you know. Is this one below Joplin or not Joplin ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjpB49bacM

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:39 PM

Not Joplin.

This link has [MIDI transcriptions of] the two piano rolls that Joplin cut of the Maple Leaf Rag.

Connorized rolls were 'edited' after the fact to ensure even tempo. The arranger would also often punch in embellishments.

Uni-Record rolls were generally meant to reflect the performer's playing more directly. At this point in his life, Joplin is very afflicted by syphilis (he died about a year later), which can affect coordination and motor skills, so Joplin may have performed more proficiently in the past. Joplin was not particularly renowned as a performer, though.

(REPOST: my post-post edit did not make the edit window)

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:39 PM

Maybe someone can explain what a piano roll actually is. If its the composer playing the music made into paper squares or not. Sorry if its too much a distraction from the thread :P

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:41 PM

Not Joplin.

This link has [MIDI transcriptions of] the two piano rolls that Joplin cut of the Joplin piano rolls.

Connorized rolls were 'edited' after the fact to ensure even tempo. The arranger would also often punch in embellishments.

Uni-Record rolls were generally meant to reflect the performer's playing more directly. At this point in his life, Joplin is very afflicted by syphilis (he died about a year later), which can affect coordination and motor skills, so Joplin may have performed more proficiently in the past. Joplin was not particularly renowned as a performer, though.

(REPOST: my post-post edit did not make the edit window)

Thank you very useful information.

smile

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/17/19 11:54 PM

Maybe someone can explain what a piano roll actually is.

Player pianos are mechanical contraptions that use pneumatic systems to automatically depress piano keys based on a scrolling paper roll. The paper is punched with holes that indicate which notes should be depressed.

If, say, 1890-1910 was the era where sheet music was king, starting around maybe 1900-1920, player pianos began their ascendance, followed about 10-15 years later with actual recordings. (No known recordings exist of Joplin)

Basically, you would buy a roll the way you would buy a record, 8-track, cassette, CD, minidisc, mp3...

These rolls were usually created by effectively a reverse process. The pianist would play while an unpunched roll was running and the recording mechanism would apply marks to the paper corresponding to the depressed notes. These marked up rolls could then be punched. Arrangers would take liberties to make the music more interesting, since the player pianos were not limited to producing only notes that fit within a single human's handspan.

Most player pianos did not have the ability to duplicate dynamics but a subclass called reproducers could at the very least change the overall volume as the roll played.

I'm not really that well informed about player actions but the above is the gist.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 12:21 AM

32. Balezin Dmitry - Bohemian Rhapsody Hoorah! What a fun piece to play and I thought you did quite well. I love your bass smile

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight, 2nd mvmnt What a great piece to dedicate to your father. I like the movement you imparted to this.

36. Pianist685 - Kiss the Rain I liked this - you played confidently and with good phrasing.

38. torquenale - Espana Prelude Welcome home. You created great atmosphere for this and all the little ornaments and the flowing left hand were good.

41.Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a Secret Garden You just get better and better - amazing child. This was lovely.

42/ schinl - Prelude Nice dynamics and another piece with good movement to it.

44. dumka1 - April I thought the tempo was good and I *loved* the runs.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue Great playing! What a nice bluesy feel to it - your imagination was in exactly the same place as this recording. Wonderful.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 02:49 AM

26. Snejana - "A Walk in the Forest" - Medley of three pieces by composers from three different eras that follow one imaginative story. Scherzo by Dmitri Kabalevsky; Peaceful Calm by Rick Robertson; Walking Piece by Igor Stravinsky.
I have never tried to create a medley and would not know where to begin. Yours came out very well – musically coherent and listenable. Well done!

Beautiful! I can almost hear the guitar strings! Masterfully executed, as usual! Thanks for breaking your rule.

31. RogerRL - Etude 9
Interesting! Seems more dramatic than the other Glass pieces I have heard. You kept it all moving very nicely, with that steady pulse. Well done.

Wonderful! A beautiful tribute to your father.

Yay for Gershwin! Nice rhythmic figures you throw in there. Dynamite ending!

Beautifully played. Starts out a bit like What Kind of Fool Am I, but quickly charges off in another direction. Lovely ending!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 03:14 AM

31. RogerRL - Etude 9 Now look what you’ve done - made me want to learn this one! smile Loved it.

32. Balezin Dmitry - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) Isn’t it amazing how much we can achieve when we find something we *really* want to play? There was so much going on in that arrangement, and after only 4 months you are well on the way to ‘owning’ it. Bravo!

33. QuasiUnaFantasia - Moonlight sonata, 2nd movement Delightful music indeed, and played with great sensitivity - a very special tribute to your father.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth What a terrific debut. I’d guess that your final Grade 1 Recital went really well!

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm To me, reading music would be much easier than trying to play anything by ear. I loved the colours, and the changing tempo, away from swing and back again. Very nice!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 03:57 AM

36. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Kiss the rain Another aspirational piece for me. That was a delight - thank you!

37. JoBert - Adagio (KV 540) A wonderfully expressive interpretation - standing ovation here!

38. torquenale (Alessandra) - Espana - Prelude A very atmospheric piece, capturing the swirling colours of a Spanish dance. Great work!

39. Moo smile - Morceaux de fantaisie, Serenade (1892 version) A real achievement - congratulations!

40. joangolfing - Bourree One and Two (French Overture) BWV 831 Your hard work has paid off, resulting in a most enjoyable performance.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 10:04 AM

41. Mr. Super-Hunky - Song from a secret garden I love milder, gentler pieces so this one gets my vote - it was just dreamy. But we all need variety, so don’t restrict your styles, you do so many, so very well!

42. schinl - Prelude Op.23 No.4 I can see why you loved this dramatic and melancholic piece. You handled it with confidence and flair.

43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March Wow - what a story! And what a great rendition of that 100-year-old Victory March. Thank you for sharing your family history - and your musical talents!

44. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" Clearly you rose to those challenges and overcame the difficulties - a most enjoyable rendition.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue You painted just the right picture, with your description and then with your touch on the keys. (Who IS that dark-haired man over by the bar?) smile
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 12:45 PM

05. MarieJ - Limbo (to do)

Great job on the Einuadi piece. Another one I have to add to my to do list.

Welcome to the BWV 974 club. I enjoyed your performance very much!

This caught my attention as I just started learning it a few weeks ago. You played it well! The mp3 with the RCM book plays the beginning of bar 7 and 11 broken or trill like, although there is no such notation. I have to figure out what is going on there.
Posted By: sandalholme

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 03:34 PM

Many thanks to KevinM, MarieJ, barbaram, Querty53, SamS, Balezin Dmitry, cmb13, noobpianist90, AssociateX for all your comments which ar much appreciated. Glad that no-one seems to have heard any extraneous noises. Yes, the sudden forte scale run is a surprise: Nocturnes are of course of the night and most have something of a nightmare passage or 2 in them. (Technically and musically) It is one of the harder - technically - of the Nocturnes but Op62 No2 is harder and as for Op48 No1 ..... Re bringing attention to the LH at times and some "notey" passages, I wonder if these coincide and if either of you (noobpianist90 and AssociateX) can indicate where it would help. By "notey" I assume notes that don't appear to carry a great deal of musical meaning. Don't worry if it's not possible/convenient. It encourages me to listen carefully for this. Re imperfections, we all know that errors fall into 2 categories: those we know the listener will hear and those we can hear but a listener, especially one unfamiliar with the music, may or may not. I think our sensitivity to our own errors is normal and not a sign of perfectionism.
Posted By: wouter79

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 05:19 PM

Wow it's the next weekend and we already have 4 pages of comments!

Originally Posted by KeviinM

Interesting piece well played.

Thanks Kevin!

Really nice. Short and sweet. Reminds me a bit of Schubert?

Good you mention Schubert in relation to Heller. I didn't realize before you mentioned, but Heller wrote quite some pieces inspired on Schubert's lieder, such as Die Forelle, Der Erlkönig, etc. Op.45 is right between those pieces.

That was unusual, and I liked it a lot. It reminded me of a photographic negative - the reverse of what I expected to hear, with the left hand carrying the melody.

Interesting that you get such inverse images with this, I didn't know that it could work that way, thanks for sharing smile

Very nice etude, thanks for introducing me to these. Well played.

Thanks for the nice comments!
Posted By: wouter79

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 05:49 PM

Lovely way to begin this recital! I’d like to hear more of Heller.

Thanks! You can find more heller on pianoworld here
http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Heller

Lovely piece, so much more than the idea of a “study” or “etude” would suggest. You and your teacher may have areas for further improvement in mind, but coming to it fresh this was a delight with really engaging rhythm, flow and harmonies.

Yes they are so much nicer to play and hear than the average etude.

You bring out the LH melody very well - sounds great!

Sam thanks!

Originally Posted by Balezin

I liked the ending a lot... and I wanted to here more od those
high pitched melodies

Ah yes, the bells. I have to play them soft because it's accompaniment here .You find these a lot more often in Norwegian composers like Grieg and Sinding.

Originally Posted by noobpianist90
I don't think I've heard all that much of Heller before. I liked this piece. I liked the melody in the bass a lot. Sounds very vaguely familiar to me.
I think I'll check out this collection of pieces. It seems like something that might be good for me to practice reading, and it sounds fun to play as well.
Thanks for sharing

Good to hear! You can also check heller's op.47 for more.

I am blown away by how clean everyone plays. It is impressive, I think I need to invest in a good digital piano because my Steinway and recording equipment also leaves much to be desired.

(to do)
Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks! What does "(do do)" mean?

And, please stick with a real acoustic! Any decent acoustic sounds better than any top DP. A Steinway model O is a good size, if tuned and regulated well this should easily outdo anything DP.And if you spend some time on your room acoustics and recording techniques you can do so much more than a DP

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 06:46 PM

Exactly autumn...I hadn't seen the name of the piece when
I started to listen to it...I though it's great music to recall somrthing and get deep into thoughts (kind of what we do in Autumn)
Great.

I love covers...piano covers, don't know if that's my simple taste.
Still...you did great job on this one. I liked your hands movement.

Bright melodies. Great clean playing with nice dynamic...something to strive for. I loved listring to it.

Well, I loved it. Smooth, fluent playing. Melody is so clear and doesn't get lost in chords and bass sounds (kind of what I have at the moment:-).

That's so Bach :-) I mean, one goes straight back to his times and hears those trills and notes. Very well played.
And about being able to make it from the FIRST take is somethin to be proud of...It takes me lot of take to make a video...I just make that much mistakes under stress:-)

Some parts were kind of famliliar...and of course being able to improvise LIKE THAT is just so great. Loved it.

I think that just a tad bit softer and it would have been great. Still great playing...I see you can sight-read it, which is something beyond my reach:-). Lovely.

Sad, but beatiful. Isn't it what we all want from our playing...beautiful sounds.

Light and lovely sound. You play very well...and for me the dynamics is also there. Keep on enhancing and polishing it.

Great that you've found a piece that you enjoy playing. You can
develop a lot of feel, playing it. Nice playing.

Loved it. I can meditate listening to this piece. It has a lovely
motion inside it. Calm but somwhat thoughtful.
Great that you can explain and understand theory behind the piece.

Loved it. Don't know why. It's different and sadden pauses makes it
even more interesting. Great!!!

The longest TITLE that's for sure...it's great playing for a self-taught player. It means that I also have some chances to play well sometimes in the future. I loved the sound of the pieces.

I'd really prefer the melody to be also played on the piano (which sounds great). The synth sounds doesn't fit so well in my opinion.
Still. I loved the piece and your playing...it's just the sounds
I am not a fan of:-)

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 07:06 PM

48. Serge88 - Pathetique A great piece and a nice interpretation.

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven So well-played! I like your contrast between different parts.

51. lvojnovic - Regen How fun! I loved it. You played it with jolliness and a sort of tenderness.

56. Sam S - November How quiet and comtemplative. A perfect ending for the recital. I love hearing about your piano journey.

Thanks to everyone who makes/made these recitals possible. I love listening to them every time.
Posted By: peterws

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 08:43 PM

1 Wouter

Nice! Tuneful, pleasant piece to kick off with.

2 Claudemir Medeiros

You're learning well, and your fluency is testament to to this. Excellent work!

3 Mosotti

Very well played. Sounds full of gloomy expression. You done well in this, man. Can't fault it.

4 Peyton

I didn't know there was a Celtic sea . . . very nice tune though. You obviously like this. It shows!

5 Marie J

Nicely done, Marie.

6 JerzyK19

You know this well obviously. And you put so much into it. Lovely work in the dancing tradition. You are a very fluent pianist.

7 AKC42

Great work. A bit o' sadness here, But you do a super job.

8 KevinM

There's a mature, feelgood about most of Mendellsohn's work. That's why it's so often used in churches. Your piano sounded very well. A very nice listen but could you lift up the light and shade just a bit more?

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 08:52 PM

9 Sandalholme

Couldn't fault the sound. There was loads of dynamics here. Beautifully played.

10 Thomas

Really nice; Lively and very vibrant, but it could do with smoothing out a wee bit, if you don't mind me saying. I enjoyed it and it's efforvescence greatly.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/18/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Balezin Dmitry

Some parts were kind of famliliar...and of course being able to improvise LIKE THAT is just so great. Loved it.

Thanks for listening. Familiar ? Yes, sometimes, when listening to my recordings, I hear unintentional quotes, sometimes quite detailed, from music I had heard a long time ago. How this operates is a mystery but it does happen occasionally.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 02:34 AM

Welcome back, Alessandra. Good job, authentic feel. I’d say you are ready for the recital, no doubt about it!

Pieces like this with multiple lines are so hard to master, but you have done quite well. Very musically played.

Wow, intimidating piece of music. Very impressive playing!

Yes, victory! I can hear the whole band in there! Lots of musical folks in my family tree, too, but no composers. It must give you a special satisfaction to play his composition.

Awesome! I used to play this on a Hammond organ – lots of fun. Love those key modulations. Well done!

Ed

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 07:14 AM

After learning to play piano for 2 years I've never played waltz and
I see that it can present quite a challange. You played it well with those tricky notes.

It feels that this piece could be a great soundtrack for
some happy movie. I can see picures already. Loved the piece and
your playing.

31. RogerRL - Etude 9
I loved it from the first notes. It resonates with my feelings. Great playing with subtle dynamics. LOVED it. Will add the piece to my list of "wanna play" things.

Lovely melodious playing. And I am sorry for your loss. Loved
the way you tell about your father in that thankfull manner. Great to feel connected to your parents, kind of connection you never lose.

Welcome to Earth fello piano AB_player. I am really glad we have
new people here. Great playing for the one who has just started. It will be quite a journey for us.

Oh...that's great. Like piano pieces of this style.

Well....it's just unfair to have such skills among us "mortals". Just kidding. Great playing with a real feel to the piece and wonderful dynamics. Loved it.

One need a lot of time to get to know this piece and connect with it.
I guess it's like reading a book. Lovely playing.

I wish you all the best with LIVE recital. I liked the way you played it.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 09:23 AM

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Arrangements from musicals can be tricky and in ‘Phantom’ you had to manage changes of atmosphere, tempo and key. You handled all of this confidently - well done!

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement Short but very sweet indeed.

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt I’ve always loved ‘Pathetique’ and you did it justice. The video quality was great; including the sheet music was a nice touch for those who (like me) enjoy reading along.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) Excellent - you’ve made wonderful progress in only 14 months!

50. zsolpyW - Unforgiven Simply stunning! thumb

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 09:40 AM

I have to say I have really enjoyed the thought and consideration MarieJ has put into each piece of the recital.

Thanks.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 10:20 AM

I have to say I have really enjoyed the thought and consideration MarieJ has put into each piece of the recital.

Thanks.

Wow - thanks, Kevin!

I had actually been wondering whether my comments were really worth posting. As I’ve said previously, I’m not equipped to give constructive feedback, particularly on performances of the classical compositions which make up the majority of submissions in each Recital.

But I’m painfully aware of the countless hours of concentrated effort that have gone into every piece, no matter what level or type. And I know how much I value comments on my pieces, which show that someone has listened, and motivate me to keep playing. So I’ll continue offering my unashamedly subjective but heartfelt applause - you all deserve it!. thumb

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by "peterws"
8 KevinM

There's a mature, feelgood about most of Mendellsohn's work. That's why it's so often used in churches. Your piano sounded very well. A very nice listen but could you lift up the light and shade just a bit more?

Perhaps exposing my ignorance. But I'd like to ask what you mean by lifting up the light and shade a bit more. Do you mean greater contrast between the two?

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 11:07 AM

51. lvojnovic - Regen (Little rain) What a delightful piece - terrific!

52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor A privilege to listen to your performance. That was fabulous!

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses If you’d had time to prepare the Clementi, we wouldn’t have been able to enjoy this bright, well-played little Tansman. (And anyway, we don’t lie, we encourage.)

54. Piano_primo_1 - Ave Maria Based on Prelude by JS Bach I really liked that arrangement, and the fact that you gave it to us ‘warts and all’ rather than miss a Recital. I’d love to hear it again when it is ‘finished’.

55. Tyrone Slothrop - The Song of Twilight A lovely touch on a delicate little piece - it left me wanting more. (At 5am, maybe it should have been ‘The Song of Dawn’.)

56. Sam S - November Fire I’ve saved this up until the end to hear you playing anything vaguely like Einaudi, Sam. I couldn’t find him in it, but that didn’t stop me enjoying your performance!

And a VERY big thank-you for taking on the extra work involved in the Recitals. I’ve said many times (but I’m going to say it again): they keep me at the piano. Without the discipline of preparing for a Recital each quarter, I really wonder whether I’d still be playing every single day.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 11:08 AM

Thanks.

Wow - thanks, Kevin!

I had actually been wondering whether my comments were really worth posting. As I’ve said previously, I’m not equipped to give constructive feedback, particularly on performances of the classical compositions which make up the majority of submissions in each Recital.

I know exactly what you mean. I am in the same position as you and not equipped to provide constructive feedback and as a result my responses were often brief even though I enjoyed the whole recital. Your comments however have resulted in me going back and listening again to a few of the pieces again.

But I’m painfully aware of the countless hours of concentrated effort that have gone into every piece, no matter what level or type. And I know how much I value comments on my pieces, which show that someone has listened, and motivate me to keep playing. So I’ll continue offering my unashamedly subjective but heartfelt applause - you all deserve it!. thumb

So much truth in this.
Posted By: snowfox

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 01:17 PM

Thank you everybody for the feedbacks, it meant a lot to me. Also it was interesting to read the comments regarding the other recordings. I found the whole recital very inspiring, the performances have really high quality.

I was very happy to get to know new composers and pieces, and also to have the opportunity to listen to some of my old favourites.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret This piece by Tiersen was new for me, you played it very professional and sensitively!

06. Jerzyk19 - Pamietam Twoje Oczy I really loved your choice and play, I haven't heard this Fogg-song yet, but it immediately took me to the past.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) You played it very delicately. The piece reminded me to Grieg's Little bird (op. 43.-4.)

23. barbaram - Prelude No 2 in D Minor BWV 940 I heard this piece for first time in my life one day before the recital, and decided to learn it as soon as I finish my current piece, so I was very happy to find it on the recital list the next day! Now as I'm learning it, I've just realized, how challenging the fingering is in this piece. You played it very nice and soft!

29. Ganddalf - Mallorca (Barcarolle) Op.202 Albeniz is one of my new favourites, I often listen to his pieces in the evenings. I liked your play very much, caught the mood and atmosphere for sure!

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm Loved the original, loved yours!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 03:05 PM

[b]04. Peyton - Porz Goret

I liked it a lot. Lot of good things going on there. The music goes very well with the scenery.
One thing I did note was that the accompaniment could have been softer in some places. Especially when the music becomes a bit dissonant and the right hand becomes silent. For example, the part around 2:13. Of course, I could be completely wrong and the sheet music may indicate the opposite, but this is how I might have liked to interpret it smile

It's not really written one way or the other but I like your suggestions. I'm almost totally deaf in my left ear so sometimes I'm not as careful with volume as I should be. If I don't watch my self I will almost always play too loudly.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret Nice playing, and good video production.

Thanks. The only problem I've been having with the video of late is for some reason the video and the audio get out of synch. (I record the audio separate from the vid.) I get it to where I'm sure they are lined up, put it up on youtube and... they get out of synch. but I do really enjoy working on the videos.

I've never heard this - loved it! Your videos are always so artistic - and they match your pieces very well...

Thanks. The shots were from my camp on Arrowsic Island.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret
Lovely. I really enjoy the soothing, mesmeric quality of Tiersen. Love Glass too, but soothing is perhaps not the adjective I’d apply to his work

Thanks. There are a few other pieces from his latest I'm working on as well. but this was my favorite.

A lovely piece, very evocative.

Thanks.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret Yes, quite lovely and full of charm. Well played with a very nice feel to it.

Thanks.

Wow - Peyton, that was a really special treat for Tiersen fans! Loved the piece, loved the way you played it, loved the video. Thank you!

I'm surprised, considering the amount of Einaudi fans here we don't hear more Tierson.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret

I love that you can hear two different melodies.

For sure. Thanks.
Posted By: torquenale

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 06:55 PM

Thanks a lot to everybody who listened to my submission, and special gratitude to the commenters.

I think the piece is ready for the recital this Saturday, not the same for the other one which is a four-hand Menuet by Debussy (from Petite suite); I always find it difficult play with others, I fear I'm going to spoil everything. Fortunately this time I'm playing with my teacher. grin

cmb13, this is the sound of my piano after my new technician voiced it in November, a great improvement because my upright was unbearably bright before. The only manipulation I used on my recording, if I remember correctly, is that I wanted to use normalize but applied amplify. I'm highly uneducated in these things, and the last time I did it a couple of years ago. crazy
Posted By: Jason Lenthe

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 07:03 PM

Well done, I want to play this piece soon and I know it isn't going to be easy. It is quite an awkward piece.

I found it 95% straightforward myself (which just means that I finally selected a piece that is not above my ability for a change). The requisite skills are probably left hand octave arpeggios and scale fragments and the knowing the standard chords and inversions in the keys of A and D major reasonably well for the right hand. The one thing that was surprisingly awkward was playing a fast B major chord in the 2nd inversion followed by an E major chord in the 2nd inversion. I had to work a lot to smooth that out (and I'm not sure I ever quite got it perfect). It's definitely a fun piece to play, though.

Wow, does this ever convey its title: it really conjures up An Important Event!

It sure does. Thank you for listening.

That piece is reminiscent of a fanfare - which would be appropriate for an ‘important event’. You handled it very well.

That's a well-fitting comparison which I hadn't thought of before. Thank you!

As I listen to your piece I can really imagine a little boy all dressed up for an important event, perhaps a little suit and short trousers, and taking himself and the event very seriously indeed!

Definitely. That's what I envision as well. I think one of the things that creates this effect is how he takes a very regal sounding theme and repeats it an octave too low. That regal theme ends up going all the way down to the bottom of the keyboard and giving the piece a childish humorousness while still sounding regal.

I loved it! So jolly and jaunty, and your touch was perfect.

Thank you, so much.

Outstanding - you played it like you meant it!

Thank you, both for the comment and for administering the recital.

Originally Posted by Riddler

I know nothing about this piece, but it does indeed have a majestic, stately feel to it, which your playing brings out superbly. Well done!

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

enjoyed it, Jason, good playing.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It was refreshing to hear this at this tempo, usually the professional recordings race through this piece at a faster clip. It is nice to hear every articulated note clearly.

It is really great to hear this feedback since I naturally tend to play everything too fast and at an inconsistent tempo. I have really been focusing lately on using the metronome and playing things at a slower tempo with greater precision. My score recommended 120 bpm, but I think the piece sounds energetic enough at 100 bpm. Thank you!
Posted By: torquenale

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 07:07 PM

I'm now enjoying the recital, so far I listened to half of the pieces and I found the usual mix of styles, levels and sounds I like so much.
I missed many recitals and now I can appreciate great improvements in many of the "old" performers and many new piano lovers submitting their pieces: love for music is in every note.

Applause to this community! smile
Posted By: Serge88

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 11:37 PM

Another great recital,

I enjoyed listen to your piece. I didn't know this piece.

Nice recording of and good playing. A Digital piano really ?

Well played with good expression.

31. RogerRL - Etude 9
Nice recording of an grand acoustic, good playing.

That was wonderfully played.

Well played.
Posted By: Serge88

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/19/19 11:52 PM

Next...

Wonderful piece and good rendition.

Interesting piece. Well done !

Nice playing, keep up the good work!

I enjoyed it, very nice.

Wonderful!

Great playing.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/20/19 02:19 AM

Beautiful!! Loved it! Green with envy!

Well executed, delightful to listen to.

Played with precision and high energy. Very lively and appealing. Well done!

Love this piece. Did you record the flute part separately? Off to a good start, I am hoping to hear the finished version next time.

This piece has a quiet sadness to it, very profound. Well played!

Ed
Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/20/19 07:45 AM

01. wouter79 - Melodious Studies, op.45 Nr.8 Barcarolle Very nice wouter. I enjoyed the melody and especially the cadence of this piece. I only wish it were a bit longer, possibly a repeat with the second verse an octave higher. Well done.

04. Peyton - Porz Goret This was a very delicate piece that was nicely played. I especially enjoyed the attention you gave to the phrasing throughout the piece like gentle waves flowing in and out. nicely done.

05. MarieJ - Limbo (You certainly captured the essence of this piece Marie with patience and control (something I struggle with!). Very nice to listen to.

11. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Little Wood-bird (Waldvoglein) (Op. 77, No. 15) This was a very nice piece which sounded very 'poppy' and delicate and your performance of it was excellent. I only wish it were longer as it left me wanting more.

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Nice job with this Craig. You playing was excellent and I must say that your piano sounds fantastic! Well done all around.

14. peterws - Wistful Thinking Wow Peter, I absolutely loved this piece. (I'm a sucker for dreamy chords !). This piece has a sound similar to Jim Chappell's music such as "Living the Northern summer" which I like very much.. One of my recital favorites. You have a lot of creative talent hiding inside ;I can tell!

15. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 1 (Songs Without Words Op. 19 No. 6) You played this beautifully with incredible attention to emotion and phrasing. It sounded like a professional recording it was so good. Nicely done.

21. Monica K. - Song for Gavin This piece was simple & beautiful. 'simply beautiful"! I can hear the emotion coming through as though Einaudi was saying farewell to a friend, or until we meet again. You did a nice job with this Monica.

24. Riddler (Ed) - Maiden Voyage This was beautiful Riddler. The music grabbed me from the very beginning and I loved the dreamy-flowing sounds of the chord progression throughout the piece. Very nice, another one of my

35. Yamaha G3 & P 80 - I got rhythm[/b ] Wow, and I mean WOW; that's what I call an entrance! Very lively and a pleasure to listen to. I loved the upbeat rhythm you in put into this. Great job.

[b]43. jotur/Cathy Turner - Victory March
This was great Cathy. The variations in volume & phrasing really made the piece stand out. Very well played.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue You did a great job with this piece, very sultry, even swanky! I enjoyed it very much.

46. Handyman (John) - Phantom of the Opera Nice playing here Handyman. Excellent timing and rhythm along with all the dramatic chords. I've always loved this piece and you did a nice job with it.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/20/19 06:39 PM

Everyone is quiet ...guess Monday has come. I have last bunch of comments.

I liked the middle part of the piece,well everything after 1st minute.
I can only play from memory, so I envy those people who can actually sight-read music. So, great work.

I love songs and covers. Think this one is played really well. Loved melody and chards that support it. Very fluent playing.

Great dynamics. Very lyrical. Nice flow of melody. Like it.

I guess there're a lot of pages to learn this one. Hard to get it in memory. Great work.

45. Qwerty53 - Still Blue
Great listening. Very soothing and calm. Loved the way you played it.

JUST SO GREAT...that constant pulse of low notes creates such tention...great contral of dynamics. LOVED your performance.
It was a PLEASURE, sir.

I have passion for those low chords...soft and calm. Loved the piece
and the way you played it.

49. Purrblast - Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, -BWV 990, Var 16)

50. zsolpyW - UnforgivenI have no words. I loved the song and your performance did it justice... Oh, yeah. I've heard of Vkgoeswild...some of here performances have such power. I REALLY 100% enjoyed the song.

I need those scores badly!!!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 04:46 AM

That was very nice! A very enthsiastic, lively piece! I totally got the images of little birds. Well played!
The blend of the two pianos was very interesting, but I'm not sure how well suited it is for classical music. It sounds like playing mellow, dark pieces with this tone might be challenging. It sounds a bit like a chorus or tremolo guitar amplifier effect to me. It would sound fantastic for some bright, pop/rock piano music.

Wow! That was an excellent performance, polished to perfection. I absolutely loved it! I listened to it many times The music sounds very wistful and nostalgic to me, and also, in some places evokes feelings of longing and regret.
Your new piano also sounds wonderful. Do you find it a lot easier to play on the Steinway compared to your Boston? I'm not talking about the sound, I mean more about playability and fine-grained control.

That was nice! I liked it. Well played.
I'm very sure I've heard the melody before. It sounds very similar to some pop song which I can't quite put my finger on. Or maybe I've heard this piece as a background music in some movie or TV show?

That was very nice! I liked it a lot. I always look forward to listening to your compositions.
It does indeed sound wistful at times, but I also felt that some of the chords reminded me of the sun coming out on a cloudy day. It also had a bit of a jazzy feel to it. Was that because of the 7th(9th?) chords?

That was excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it! A highly polished rendition.
This is one of my favourite Songs Without Words. I tried to learn this a couple of years ago, but I wasn't quite ready for it then. When I try again, I'm definitely going to come back to your recording and listen again.
On an interpretive note, I think I might have liked it with a slightly slower tempo overall. That being said, I love the way you slow down in some places to build the tension. It was very subtly done, but it adds a lot of character IMO. This won't be very effective if played too slow overall.

Well played. It is refreshing to hear it at this tempo. It's played too fast in most recordings.

Your improvisations are a bit challenging for me to listen to grin I generally find it difficult to immediately decide whether I like an unusual (to me) piece of music or not.
I must have listened to your recording about 5 or 6 times. There are some parts that I like a lot, especially the beginning.
While I could enjoy some of the sections in isolation, I couldn't enjoy the piece as a whole. Generally when I improvise, I like it to be around a theme or an idea, and then improvise freely around that theme. I find it a bit challenging to listen to (seemingly) random music. Thanks for sharing though, I like being challenged grin I hope you don't think I was being too negative.

That was quite nice. You played it well overall.
I'm quite familiar with this piece. I started learning it for the Slavic Themed Recital last year. I just couldn't finish learning all of it in time. I finished the first and third sections, but couldn't finish the second section in time. I've set it aside for now. I plan to re-visit it soon.
There are a few mistakes, yes, but they didn't take away from the performance too much. I listen more to the shape of the performance to get an idea of your interpretive decisions and learn from them.
With respect to interpretation, I think I prefer this piece played at a slower tempo in the first and third sections and a contrasting faster tempo in the second section. Just my opinion smile
I think your recording equipment doesn't do your playing justice. Also, I think I would have preferred a horizontal video.

That was very nice! As you say, it is very beautiful, and you played it very well.
This is a new piece for me. I haven't listened to all that much of Brahms. I liked it a lot. I think I might want to learn this as my first Brahms piece smile
Also, not having looked at the sheet music, and not having head this piece before, I couldn't really make out any wrong note.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 05:24 AM

Your improvisations are a bit challenging for me to listen to grin I generally find it difficult to immediately decide whether I like an unusual (to me) piece of music or not.
I must have listened to your recording about 5 or 6 times. There are some parts that I like a lot, especially the beginning.
While I could enjoy some of the sections in isolation, I couldn't enjoy the piece as a whole. Generally when I improvise, I like it to be around a theme or an idea, and then improvise freely around that theme. I find it a bit challenging to listen to (seemingly) random music. Thanks for sharing though, I like being challenged grin I hope you don't think I was being too negative.

If you actually bothered to listen to it repeatedly for thirty minutes, that is a wonderful compliment, thank you. Our musical brains and tastes are all different and no use pretending otherwise. Everything is subjective in art because in order to create you have to be no one but yourself; to do otherwise is just following somebody else's dream, which is a sad waste of consciousness. Structure is just an optional musical property like harmony, rhythm, melody and anything else, if you enjoy it use it, if you don't then give it the heave-ho. Either way the piano police are unlikely to arrive on the doorstep. Constant challenge and reaching out every time I improvise are essential to me, else I would prefer to work in the garden. Your comments are most perceptive and not at all negative, thanks again.
Posted By: ThomasPiano

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 05:40 AM

All I can say is thank you to everyone that watched my performance! I am very grateful and fully appreciate the feedback I have received. I will take it and use it to improve on myself and I am also inspired by all of the talent that is found here. I am grateful to be a part of this 🙂
Posted By: ThomasPiano

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas
This time I am submitting my performance of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag since I am looking for advice on how to perform this better. So far I feel like my rhythm may have been off, but my issue is that I don't know when to use the pedal. I haven't found much info about this on the web so I am curious as to what you guys on here may think.

This was very nice.

I liked the intro quite a lot.

I think you are correctly assessing that you've got some rhythm issues going on. Your left hand is super solid, good job navigating the jumps, particularly in the difficult C section.

Your right hand, though, is wobbly, especially in the repeated right hand figure in measures 1-4 in the A section which have a kind of limping quality. I think this comes down to two factors: 1) I think the tempo you are aiming for is a good one, but it is pushing or rushing your technique 2) you are having some mechanical issues with the figure.

For the latter, I think it may be because you are playing the notes with just finger articulation, but regardless, I think if you dial the tempo back in general, your right hand figures will become more even, you'll get fewer 'clipped-sounding' notes, and you'll be able to tweak the movements at a slower pace until they work better at the faster pace.

In terms of pedaling, you are correct that there is not often a lot of guidance in many printed rags. Where Joplin has something notated, it usually indicated he means it, but there is no notation here.

Your basic ragtime pedal decision is going to be between no pedal or pedaling twice per measure. Because of the stride bass, if you choose not to pedal, you're going to get a pretty significant chop in the bass as the dampers alternatively suppress the boom and the chuck. Pedaling twice makes the bass more of an extended chord and you can then choose to make the sound fuller by holding the pedal longer or crisper by lifting the pedal on the chuck. When the bass walks, it generally makes sense to not pedal so that the sound does not get muddy.

From a notation standpoint, Maple Leaf is notated extremely sparsely (too sparsely IMO), but note that the ascending arpeggiated figure in measures 7 and 8 is marked p, which the following measure starting at mf followed by a crescendo and, while you don't necessarily have to follow that as written, ragtime benefits from applying some dynamic variation--if played at constant volume it can become a little mind-numbing. Joplin's later rags definitely tend to offer more dynamic guidance.

In the B section. you are nailing measure 5, which is one of my trouble measures. You start with an octave variation, which is nice. These types of variations are (almost certainly) representative of performance practice. These variations also help deal a bit with the monotony issue I mention... within a given section a common ragtime 'stanza' is ABAC... with the repeat, that would be ABAC ABAC and that's a lot of times you have to hear A. Variations help keep things fresh.

(Generally, my teach usually prefers that I play the first time straight and only introduce variants on the repeats.)

For your C section, you are nailing some tough stuff.

Both C and D sound pretty solid. You push the rhythm a couple times in C and D. Nice variations at the end of D.

Overall you do a good job of avoiding tempo creep, a personal issue I struggle with, though I think you're rushing a bit towards the end.

I think all the above boils down to a recommendation to dial back on the tempo some, so you can fix evenness and can fully articulate the notes. At this point, it sort of feels like the music is coming at you a little bit faster than you are mechanically/mentally able to process it.

As for pedal, play around and see what you like.

Again, nice job.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for me. I don’t normally come across people that can provide me critical feedback. I will keep in mind all of these points and work with it, starting with slowing it down.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate this.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 06:22 AM

48. Serge88 - Sonata "Pathetique" no.8 op.13 2nd mvt Very calming, a pleasure to listen to late at night. nice work Serge!

[52. PikaPianist - Toccata in F minor Wow, I mean WOW! You've heard of the 'Pianist corner' right? Incredible playing all the way through. Bravo!

53. Ralphiano (real name is a secret!) - Fin des vacanses Beautiful intro followed by dreamy playing that had a mesmerizing effect - followed by the big dramatic chords...and then back to the soft dreamy stuff. Loved it! Another recital favorite.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 11:13 AM

Exactly autumn...I hadn't seen the name of the piece when
I started to listen to it...I though it's great music to recall somrthing and get deep into thoughts (kind of what we do in Autumn)
Great.

Thank you, really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

12. cmb13 - Craig - Autumn Song - October Nice job with this Craig. You playing was excellent and I must say that your piano sounds fantastic! Well done all around.

Thanks, Mr SH!!! Appreciate it!

Wow! That was an excellent performance, polished to perfection. I absolutely loved it! I listened to it many times The music sounds very wistful and nostalgic to me, and also, in some places evokes feelings of longing and regret.
Your new piano also sounds wonderful. Do you find it a lot easier to play on the Steinway compared to your Boston? I'm not talking about the sound, I mean more about playability and fine-grained control.

Thank you for the nice comments. It really is a beautiful piece!

The Steinway has a lot more control. The dynamic range far exceeds the Boston. It can make much better pp, and the ff is way more powerful and booming. It is a lot easier to achieve crescendos and decrescendos. However, the force required to play the keys is greater, requiring an adjustment that I am still not 100% used to, and the pedal is heavy - I must wear shoes. Further, the music stand is so much higher that it bothers my neck after a while. Hopefully these adjustments will improve with time.

Thanks again for your comments!
Posted By: ThePld

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 11:26 AM

A few more: 34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth What a wonderful debut! Very expressive, short and sweet, fresh to my ears. Hope your recital went well!

34. ThePld - Ballad of The EarthReally nicely played. The piece flows nicely.

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth Omg with your description I was ready for a real novice work, 8 months of lessons, grade 1 exam and all...but that piece stands up! Nothing to make light of. It’s quick, light, accurate, has movement. Well done. Nothing to be embarrassed about here. Hope the exam went well!

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth That's a well-written piece - and well played!

34. ThePld - Ballad of The Earth What a terrific debut. I’d guess that your final Grade 1 Recital went really well!

34. ThePld - Ballad of The EarthWelcome to Earth fello piano AB_player. I am really glad we have new people here. Great playing for the one who has just started. It will be quite a journey for us.

Thank you for all the positive and encouraging replies. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, the recital thankfully went great.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ted
If you actually bothered to listen to it repeatedly for thirty minutes, that is a wonderful compliment, thank you. Our musical brains and tastes are all different and no use pretending otherwise. Everything is subjective in art because in order to create you have to be no one but yourself; to do otherwise is just following somebody else's dream, which is a sad waste of consciousness. Structure is just an optional musical property like harmony, rhythm, melody and anything else, if you enjoy it use it, if you don't then give it the heave-ho. Either way the piano police are unlikely to arrive on the doorstep. Constant challenge and reaching out every time I improvise are essential to me, else I would prefer to work in the garden. Your comments are most perceptive and not at all negative, thanks again.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your approach to music and improvisation seems more targeted towards the performer than the listener. Even when I try to improvise, I find that I enjoy the music a lot while I'm actually playing, but when I play it back, it's not always all that enjoyable. Do you feel anything similar?

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 12:38 PM

peterws: thanks for your comments Peter, much appreciated. Re dynamics, I set it at 60dB which is fine for playing. I do wonder sometimes if I should compress it for listening. As I understand, professionals compress acoustic pianos dynamics for commercial recordings.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 12:57 PM

Interesting family history - well executed interpretation of the March...stirring rendition...

Nice piece Sam, very well played - I enjoyed listening...

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ted

Structure is just an optional musical property like harmony, rhythm, melody and anything else, if you enjoy it use it, if you don't then give it the heave-ho.

If one considers them "optional" and gives structure, harmony, rhythm and melody the old heave-ho then one if left with a senseless, random, chaotic, irrational, pointless sequence of sounds, a.k.a., noise - about what one would get if one unleashed a rabid weasel on one's keyboard...this would be like allowing a baby to crawl across a large canvas covered randomly with paint and garbage of all sorts (including it's own poop) for an hour or two and then calling the result a "great work of art"...
Posted By: barbaram

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 02:56 PM

Next batch of comments

Terrific execution (despite your self deprecating comments!). Great flow and dynamics, kept my interest 100% all the way to the end. A hard act to follow!

Great interpretation, I really enjoyed it

I’m not a huge fan of Schumann in general, but I think you’ve done a super job with this piece.

Interesting idea to create a medley in this way. I love the narrative arc you have created to bring these pieces together.

Interesting approach, it’s great to encounter so many different styles and ideas in these recitals! I really liked the piano background, but couldn’t always hear it well as I would have liked as the melody line on the keyboard was quite strong.

Lovely performance, and quite an achievement after a relatively short time playing. Your ornaments are great.

Always a pleasure to listen to you play!

Lovely pair of pieces, very enjoyable

31. RogerRL - Etude 9
Oooh, love the brooding intensity of this

Such a great song! Sounds like you had great fun with this, and you do a great job

Sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your father. This is really wonderful tribute to him.
Your phrasing and articulation stand out for me, and make the piece really sparkle

I’m always delighted to hear works by unfamiliar composers, and this piece is very enjoyable. Your performance is very nice – flowing, well balanced, nice dynamics – you deserve to do very well in your exam. Good luck!

A great song! It’s brightened up my afternoon. Lovely energy!
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 06:01 PM

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to listen to my recording, and especially to all who have commented on it. These comments are definitely adding to my enthusiasm about recording, and in turn encourage me to do my best, so I truly appreciate them. Also, thank you very much for all the suportive and heartwarming words with regards to the recent passing away of my father.

Now, as for my comments, in order not to demonstrate too clearly my total ignorance towards certain types of music, focus will be on those playing classical pieces.

Very nice melody, especially considering it is an etude, and very nice playing.

Who knew there were female composers in Brazil in the 19th century? I certainly didn't, so thank you for enlightening me. Very sure and precise rendition.

Lovely delicate touch throughout. I like that your fortissimo is quite subdued relative to many versions; it gives the piece a particularly dejected air.

Very poised and controlled. Also rather sad, which I'm sure would have pleased Bach.

Pleasant and calming rendition with a very pensive mood. Induces reflection.

A long and complicated piece, with much dynamic variation, and yet carried out with precision and a delicate touch at a very steady tempo throughout. Impressive, and inspiring!

Splendidly executed little ditty; I neither knew of that piece, or its composer before. The sound was interesting, as if there is a slight delay between one instrument and the other, giving a very spacious feel.

I think this piece would have given me no end of difficulties, because the melody is so complex, but you handled that really well. Very even touch and tempo from start to finish.

Lovely! You brought out the gentle rythm of the gondola well, and gorgeous sound from the piano too!

Brilliant! Well executed, and it would have impressed me even if it had been the tenth take. Getting that performance in the first try is simply solid work!

That's how you announce an important event all right! Flawless.

That was a fine performance of a difficult piece. You brought out the melody well above the accompaniment, and I really admire your ability to keep going unfazed by sheet music falling over on your piano; that's excellent concentration!

Very nice and enjoyable! I have always been somewhat unappreciative towards Bach, but this sounded quite lovely. Maybe I ought to reconsider my Bach-position ...

What a quirky piece, there was a distinctly mysterious air to it. I enjoyed that. Well played!

Interesting idea for a medley. I liked the middle part best, that was particularly pleasant - limping or no limping. smile

Good (seemingly effortless) handling of grace notes and trills. Inspiring.

Very confident playing; it comes across that you know this music on a deep level.

Highly proficient playing, and nice to see Händel featured again!

Great! Engaging and spirited.

Absolutely excellent. I'm really impressed by the recording being so long and yet apparently flawless. One thing I would have done differently: a little bit more reverb would have made it sound like the recording of a pro (at the cost of sounding less intimate).

Very unusual (and difficult) rythm, but very interesting, and nicely played.I would probably have used a bit less pedal, but that may simply be because I don't know the music (Albeniz is new to me).

So many hand crossings; that must be quite difficult. You brought out the melody clearly, which I think cannot be easy in this particular piece. A very good effort. But your camera wobbles, when you play. smile

I didn't know this piece at all, but it comes clearly across that you do know it very well; a fine delivery.

Beautiful and emotional. Very poised melancholic feel.

That sounded really difficult to my ears, being both quite fast and having explosive runs. But you handled both issues well. Definitely inspiring.

47. oneilt130 - Sonatina Op 36 No 2nd Movement
Liked the subtle dynamic changes, and the confidently fluent delivery.

Very delicate and expressive. Really beautiful. I worked on that one about a year ago, getting nowhere with it.

Nice and seemingly effortless. I liked the gentle mood you imparted to it.

That piece (and its composer) was new to me. Quite quirky, but you played it with great evenness and confidence.

Amazing the way your fingers are flying over that piece. I didn't know it, but it seemed perfectly executed to me. On another note, I really like the reverberation you added to your recording; it lifts an already astounding performance up even further.

Pleasant little melody, elegantly performed.

That was a refreshing change: a flute! smile The combination worked really well, so I would definitely encourage you to finish the flute part and get the whole work together.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 08:07 PM

11 Bsharpcyclist

Very nice, Dan! short but well played, expressive little piece.

12 cmb13

Well played and with a nice touch. I thought this sounded so much like Chopin. Certainly not Pyotr . . .

13 Edmund Rhapsody

Nice sounding piano. Confidently played, with no blemishes. Good wotk!

15 Lyricmudra

Most here will envy not only your jo-anna, your perfect recording technique, but also your lovely playing. Beautiful package!

16 Noobpianist

Great sound from your gear. Lovely work! I'm inspired to do some o' these . .

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 08:39 PM

17 Jason Length

Wow! Plenty of muscle here, I felt sorry fore the keys. Forceful explosive stuff here. Loved it! Good ole Schumann . . .

18 Ted Jones

You have plenty of runs and flourishes to keep 'em coming a few more years yet, Ted . . . sometimes it's just good to go where the fancy takes you! You do sound like a guy on a mission to who-knows-where!

19 Associate X

I like Tchaik but some of his stuff is darned hard. And it can be hard to record an acoustic, tooI Enjoyed this, Well done!

20 Sinophilia

What a lovely piece. Clean octaves, so relaxed. Yes. You could certainly play that publicly. You have developed well over the years, it's been steady and noticeable. This must be a source of great pleasure to you. Now I'm not as devoted as you, but I still derive enjoyment from tickling the ivories as I feel fit on my later years . . .ha ha.
Posted By: Sibylle

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 08:45 PM

I'm not going to comment on individual performances this time around, I've so little time for the forum these days - but I'm working my way through listening to them all and am loving them! It's marvellous to hear you guys playing, after chatting to so many of you on the forums 3hearts It's like proof that there really are people out there who share my absolute passion for the piano and music. Thank you all for contributing, it means a lot!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 08:55 PM

Noobpianist

Thx for comments; the piece was a simple progression, with simplish jazz chords in the rundowns. I just love experimenting, enjoying certain sounds, moods, unusual variations Sometimes just one note repositioned in a chord gives the tune a different feel. This is what I look for. The first two chords create a certain feel which I quite liked. So i just went with the onward flow such as it was . . .

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/21/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ted
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your approach to music and improvisation seems more targeted towards the performer than the listener. Even when I try to improvise, I find that I enjoy the music a lot while I'm actually playing, but when I play it back, it's not always all that enjoyable. Do you feel anything similar?

No, quite the opposite, my purpose is to make recordings for listening, and the generating process is frequently something of a battle. Things usually sound much better than they did while actually playing.
Posted By: owenj

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/22/19 01:41 AM

Really enjoyed the variety of genres in this recital. Lovely playing, everyone!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/22/19 08:01 PM

21 Monica K

Fine sounding piano; sounds perfectly tuned! That was a quick 3 minutes; nice Einaudi style of playing. You certainly had your moniker on this one . . .

22 facdo

Wonderful! Really motors, as it should. Great sound, great playing. These inventions are on my bucket list.

23 barbaram

Love your Bach. Plenty of bite, nicely done and recorded!

24 Riddler

Unusual but so melodic. Beyond classification. Comes from another planet, but, well, so do I. Very lovely in every way with a beautiful simplicity and clarity. Wish I'd written that . .

25 Palmpirate

What a super piece. I love Schumann and he plays such inventive stuff! Your piano sounds good. Well done!

26 Snejana

Your playing is thoughtful, sensitive, lovely and you do a super job.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/22/19 10:52 PM

27 Ralph L

Good work Ralph. Once you start doing backing tracks, you'll start doing multi track stuff next, with drums too. It's a whole lot of fun and you learn loads along the way. Good luck to you!

28 Snowfox

You play it well; it's obviously not above your level. Darned good progress for 10 months. Keep 'em coming!

29 Ganddalf

Damn fine playing; lovely stuff which I'm not familiar with. You get a great sound out of your piano. . . .well, you did ask for technical feedback . . .

30 the pianoplayer 416

Well worth a listen. Handel is so overshadowed by Bach, but so much of his wotk is exquisite. Love this!

Great stuff, guys. So good to listen to y'all . . . . .'bye for now!
Posted By: sinophilia

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/23/19 06:34 AM

Thank you for the kind comments on my piece, I'm very grateful, and glad you enjoyed it.

My duet buddy and I have learned over half of Brahms' waltzes op. 39 so far, they have such interesting harmonies and rhythms - If anybody is interested in Brahms I encourage you to have a look at the solo versions, they are all very short and mostly intermediate, good for sight-reading too if you're more advanced.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/23/19 01:54 PM

11. Bsharp cyclist- Dan, that's a great little piece. You really play it like you "own it". Hey, what is that program running on your computer in the vid?

12 CMB13- Really well played Craig. And a beautiful piece.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/23/19 05:43 PM

Thank you for your kind comments, guys. I appriciate it. I loved listening to this recital and guess I'll see (hear) you soon

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/23/19 08:16 PM

31 Roger RL

This seems to display itself in waves. Crashing waves which subside only to return. Like being washed in sound . . . Hmmmm . . . .it developed nicely towards the end. Yes! I liked it!

32 Balezin Dmitry

Good work her on this difficult and involved piece of music. The rudiments are all there. Now, you;ll have heard others on YT playing this, including Peter Bence and many other talented so and sos. who, frankly, could put all of us to flight.
You've only been going a short time. This is splendid and you have my congrats.

33 QuasiUnaFantasia

Good choice! I love this piece and it fits so well after the moody, morose first part. You played it very well, but if I might mention, it needs bite. Don't mess about with this; it ain't a gentle piece, it has fire, joy, life!
The third part of course, is mental . . . . smile Have fun!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/23/19 09:11 PM

34 ThePld

Good coordination here. And a very nicely controlled finish. Your fp30 sounds well.

35 Yamaha G3&P80

Super! nice variations here. With dramatic intervals. Nice nice!

36 Pianist685

Sounds nicely effective. A genuinely pleasant listen. You played it with expression on the G3.

37 Jobert

Quite an involved piece with several dynamic layers and a need to flow. Some of the heavy bits seem rather too heavy, and take the listener by surprise. The flow could be smoother, but I have no idea if this is a work in progress. Please forgive me if it isn't! It's still well played.

38 Torquenale

That sounded like an honest to goodness, loud, upright piano. Perfect for this music! Full of character, like the playing. Great stuff!

39 Moo

Sounds involved, hard. A good attempt here with many finer points and an overall good result!

40 Joan Golfing

Interesting. Bach chugs along nicely, uphill, down dale, clattering over the points, relentlessly seeking it's destination. Nice work, Joan!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/23/19 11:40 PM

11. Bsharp cyclist- Dan, that's a great little piece. You really play it like you "own it". Hey, what is that program running on your computer in the vid?

Pianoteq smile As some others have said and noticed, the Pianoteq sound is slightly delayed compared to the sound of the N2 (I'm blending the two). So it has the tremolo/spatial effect
Posted By: Ido

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/24/19 12:52 PM

Beautiful playing, great touch, tone, dynamics. I really liked it.
Thank you for introducing this piece.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/24/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Pianoteq smile As some others have said and noticed, the Pianoteq sound is slightly delayed compared to the sound of the N2 (I'm blending the two). So it has the tremolo/spatial effect

Are you using a DAW? Because couldn't you just delay the audio from the N2 by some milliseconds with the DAW so the two are synchonized? Or are you intentionally trying to create that effect?

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/24/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Are you using a DAW? Because couldn't you just delay the audio from the N2 by some milliseconds with the DAW so the two are synchonized? Or are you intentionally trying to create that effect?

Not using a DAW and not trying to create the effect purposely. I haven't really considered using a DAW. I feel like I'll spend more time playing with that, and I'd rather just play the piano with the limited free time that I have.
Posted By: Ralph L.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/24/19 01:42 PM

Thank you guys for listening and feedback. Next time I need to give more thoughts on distortion guitar volume&whether it fits the piece. Noted. Thanks again.
Posted By: dumka1

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/25/19 02:26 AM

Thanks everybody for your kind words about my Tchaikovsky. I'm behind on listening (although I did start and really enjoyed the first several submissions)--will be catching up over the long weekend, so looking forward to it.

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/26/19 08:36 AM

QuasiUnaFantasia: many thanks for your comments. Glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate your use of the word "precision". This is an area of weakness I have been working on so I take heart that it must be improving!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/26/19 04:09 PM

Thanks for the responses to my march. I sent off the mp3 to my brothers and cousins, some of whom lived closer to my grandparents and remembered my grandfather's brothers. One of them has a daughter who plays piano and her daughter's husband teaches high school band. She had heard about this piece from my mother several years ago and asked for a copy - woo hoo! Maybe I'll get to hear it from someone who can play it with bombast, or maybe even arranged for a full band!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/26/19 07:53 PM

41 Mr Super-Hunky

Super hunky tune! Plenty o' biff. Nice expression without losing the strident edge this wistful tune has. One could play it softly, but hey, we're not girls . . . .Great, beefy piano sound!

42 Schinl

Somebody else on this forum uses an RX2. They do sound nice. Tremendous tonal range, dynamics well handled. Unfortunately wi Rach, you often need to hear more than once to appreciate the complexities of his work. Or listen to a film featuring it as soundtrack.
Great job from you.

43 Jotur

Nice march! My g'dad played his own marches, and others from WW1 Stirling stuff! The piano usually rang out down the street when he attacked it!
Nice work on this lilting, inspiring tune!

44 Dumka 1

Loved this. Love Tchaik, and you had flourish behind your work. Good to listen! Fine sound.

45 Qwerty 53

Nice and groovy. This sort of work teaches about chords and their relationship with each other. You handles this steadily. Great job!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/26/19 08:36 PM

46 Handyman

This iconic piece is handled well. Ponderously, you explored the crannies (haunted or not) of this dark piece. Just needs speeding up a tad. I see it does accelerate a wee bit after the h'w mark! She'll be right. . . !

47 Oneilt 130

Very fluent; Nicely played and a good listen.

48 Serge88

Great speed for this. It's often played too fast imo. Very expressive with a lovely piano sound. What version of P'teq are you on? Loved the woolly hat . . . I have several of those, none of which SHE likes . . .

49 Purrblast

Good playing on this lively piece. Your piano sounds well and spacious in my headphones, and your tempo seems fine.

50 ZsolpyW

Tremendous! Power, style, energy. And your piano sounds MASSIVE!

Thanks guys! SO many surprises here. Very uplifting!

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/28/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by peterws
46 Handyman

This iconic piece is handled well. Ponderously, you explored the crannies (haunted or not) of this dark piece. Just needs speeding up a tad. I see it does accelerate a wee bit after the h'w mark! She'll be right. . . !

Christine's heartbeat (throbbing left hand rhythms) was gradually accelerating, but in ever increasingly erratic patterns in response to the constant intensity of the influence from the phantom (repeated right hand power chords) - this was all like a big attack of A Fib, a somewhat serious condition near and dear to the heart (so to speak) of the pianist here...I wanted to capture that...yes, she's ok, but I'm not so sure the pianist will be...

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/28/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Handyman
Originally Posted by peterws
46 Handyman

Christine's heartbeat (throbbing left hand rhythms) was gradually accelerating, but in ever increasingly erratic patterns in response to the constant intensity of the influence from the phantom (repeated right hand power chords) - this was all like a big attack of A Fib, a somewhat serious condition near and dear to the heart (so to speak) of the pianist here...I wanted to capture that...yes, she's ok, but I'm not so sure the pianist will be...

Never thought o' that . . . just keep your BP monitor handy! smile

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 05/31/19 06:14 PM

51 Ivojnovic

You did it justice. Great interpretation, light and forceful, when needed. Good job!

52 Pikapianist

What a piece! Such verve, enthusiasm, merciless precision and raw aggression! Oh, YES!!! That must've been SUCH fun!

53 Ralphiano

Well handled and played. Nice tune; perhaps you could use more pedal. When I detected it at the end, it sounded really great.

54 Piano primo

Nice blend. Very usable mix of a very popular tune. Good work, man!

55 Tyrone Slothrop

An enigmatic little piece which has an oriental ring to it. Nice work on this piece I've never heard of . . .

56 Sam S

The unmistakable sound of the Bechstein! It sure rings clear, Sam! Rather abstract to my ears; I'm trying for similar stuff myself. Enjoyed this.

Well.it's gone to sleep in 'ere . . . . there does seem to have been a lot of recitals here and maybe over on the Pianist section. Overkill? Maybe, but I enjoy these recitals best. This is where it's at for me right now. . . Have fun guys, and thanks, Esteemed Organisers!
Posted By: Jeff Clef

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 06/11/19 10:53 PM

Associate X
19 Liz, Steinway O, Tchaik. "The Seasons- June, Barcarole"
feedback desired
I am not happy with this recording but its the best I have for now. Hope it is enjoyable!

Well, ok. I did enjoy it, Liz. I have this work recorded by, well, I forget who, some professional personage. But you brought something to it that the pro failed to do: you made me want to hear it again. It is charming and expressive, and I hear both of your voices (yours and the composer's).

The recording itself did not call attention to any technical issue on which I could offer a helpful word. I believe we could say it is fine for this purpose. As for the instrument, I will say that it needs help.. If you have not played for a long time, and have just returned, it does take time for a technician to return even a good piano to an acceptable standard. And, this help costs some money. Personally, it takes me two months these days to save enough to have my tech come to tune--- and I have kept up all along. I see that you live in a part of the country where weather conditions are not kind to pianos, especially that jump from winter to spring/summer. Even here in California, we went from unseasonable rains and cool temps three weeks ago straight to 102º and 21% RH. Dave is coming first week in July, but the piano wants him NOW.

But, all in good time. I believe we could say that the recording shows very good promise, and that in the fullness of time the piano, the performance, the composition and the recording will all be worthy of your talent and skill.

A piano can be tuned and regulated, but a nervous system that can look at ink spots on a page and create waveforms that express the inner feeling of two persons (one a world-renowned artist so valued that the Czar himself walked bareheaded behind the coffin in his funeral cortege, in a freezing rain), a pulse powerful enough to be heard and felt across the full breadth of a continent... well, that is something special. Perhaps you have learned, over the last ten years, that the call doesn't go away. Our only meaningful choice is to honor it; in time, the silence is simply too filled with pain, until the music bursts forth---

But, I have said too much. Really, I just wanted to thank you for offering a very charming and expressive rendering of a great composition, by a great artist. I think he would have liked it.
Posted By: AssociateX

Re: Recital 54 --- General Discussion Room - 06/17/19 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Associate X
19 Liz, Steinway O, Tchaik. "The Seasons- June, Barcarole"
feedback desired
I am not happy with this recording but its the best I have for now. Hope it is enjoyable!

Well, ok. I did enjoy it, Liz. I have this work recorded by, well, I forget who, some professional personage. But you brought something to it that the pro failed to do: you made me want to hear it again. It is charming and expressive, and I hear both of your voices (yours and the composer's).

The recording itself did not call attention to any technical issue on which I could offer a helpful word. I believe we could say it is fine for this purpose. As for the instrument, I will say that it needs help.. If you have not played for a long time, and have just returned, it does take time for a technician to return even a good piano to an acceptable standard. And, this help costs some money. Personally, it takes me two months these days to save enough to have my tech come to tune--- and I have kept up all along. I see that you live in a part of the country where weather conditions are not kind to pianos, especially that jump from winter to spring/summer. Even here in California, we went from unseasonable rains and cool temps three weeks ago straight to 102º and 21% RH. Dave is coming first week in July, but the piano wants him NOW.

But, all in good time. I believe we could say that the recording shows very good promise, and that in the fullness of time the piano, the performance, the composition and the recording will all be worthy of your talent and skill.

A piano can be tuned and regulated, but a nervous system that can look at ink spots on a page and create waveforms that express the inner feeling of two persons (one a world-renowned artist so valued that the Czar himself walked bareheaded behind the coffin in his funeral cortege, in a freezing rain), a pulse powerful enough to be heard and felt across the full breadth of a continent... well, that is something special. Perhaps you have learned, over the last ten years, that the call doesn't go away. Our only meaningful choice is to honor it; in time, the silence is simply too filled with pain, until the music bursts forth---

But, I have said too much. Really, I just wanted to thank you for offering a very charming and expressive rendering of a great composition, by a great artist. I think he would have liked it.

Thank you for your review and kind words! There are definitely some technical flubs, I know as the performer they feel augmented in my head, but I am relieved the musicality of the piece comes through despite the flubs..its definitely one of those pieces that will grow on me with time. First time I heard it was only late 2018, I never knew of the Seasons pieces when I was younger (or much classical really as I only liked listening to Chopin and the popular concertos everyone loves).

As for the piano,I recorded using my iphone and believe the quality stinks due to how it comes across from an IPhone. The piano is a 1912 Steinway Model O. It gets tuned every 6 months. I could get it regulated but my tuner said it would be pricey and I would have to leave it at his workshop for 2 months while he works on it, so I would need to get another piano to practice while that regulation is done....so...I have to think about it more. My lessons are every Saturday on a Steinway Model D. When I was taking group lessons at Juilliard (evening division, trust me, all levels are admitted so there are many beginners in the program) I would practice on the Steinways in their practice rooms.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums