Piano World Home Page

The Musical Visual Intelligence Test

Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 07:04 AM

Took this interesting test: the Associative Musical Visual Intelligence test. I scored 65% which seems is barely better than normal. Alas.

But this might be the 3AM insomnia effect also - certainly, I can imagine short term memory and attention can suffer when going long periods without sleep and I'm on a mini-insomnia bender.

Pitch discrimination: 59.4%
Musical memory 67.0%
Contour discrimination 53.9%
Attention: 62.4%
Musical/visual abstraction: 67.2%
Posted By: Mosotti

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 07:35 AM

Total Score: 80%

Pitch discrimination: 79.7%
Musical memory: 79.0%
Contour discrimination: 75.9%
Attention: 75.3%
Musical/visual abstraction: 85.3%

After 5 days with my parents. Please kill me.
Posted By: outo

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 07:56 AM

Sorry to say I do not even get the idea behind the test. The selected shapes make no sense to me in relation to music. I could probably figure it out by just guessing myself through the test first, but don't see the point...

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by outo
Sorry to say I do not even get the idea behind the test. The selected shapes make no sense to me in relation to music. I could probably figure it out by just guessing myself through the test first, but don't see the point...

Like many questions on IQ tests, these are associations. So for example, here is a non-musical association to shapes - that is, instead of shapes, I am using numbers - and I've exactly seen this (or something very close to it) before on IQ-like tests:

Is the numeric sequence "2 5 8 5 2" like the shapes /\ or the shape \/ or the shape <> or the shape [] ? In this case, you one would consider the 5 numbers and note that they go up steadily to 8 and come back down the same way, so among the 4 visual shapes, the one that has the closest association would be the shape that also goes up and back down: /\.

This is how associations work between two types of objects which might not be immediately related. Obviously, in the case of the test, we are talking musical tones and not numbers, but frankly, tones and numbers map to each other.

I think now you might see how sequences of tones might relate to shapes. For example, if you have heard C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, and you have a number of shapes to choose from, but one of them is / /, you might choose that one because it shows to identical lines slanting upward like the 'C-D-E-F-G'. On the other hand, you might not be given '/ /' as a choice, but instead one of the choices might be '[] []' Well this might also be a good association. Why? Because 'C-D-E-F-G' repeats twice, just like the '[]' repeats a second time in the shape. Obviously here, you are simply trying to choose one set of shapes which is better than the other choices. One final example: you hear C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, but the second 'C-D-E-F-G' gets softer (diminuendo) while the first one stays at the same dynamic. One shape choice is '[] []' and another is '[] |>'. Here, the second one suggests the diminuendo while the first suggests an exact repeat, so you might select the second one instead as a better association than the first.

Do you understand how it works now, outo? If you've never seen this sort of thing before, I can completely understand your confusion.
Posted By: Tech-key

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 08:09 AM

Total Score: 70%

Pitch discrimination: 75.4%
Musical memory: 70.0%
Contour discrimination: 81.9%
Attention: 67.7%
Musical/visual abstraction: 54.8%

I don’t see any shapes or colours, when I hear something. I could only try and make an educated guess. A fun test, nonetheless!
Posted By: peterws

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 08:13 AM

I helps to know the configuration; the top bits refer to the higher/harsher sounds, and vice versa. Until I figured that out, I was doomed!
Posted By: patH

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 08:59 AM

When I view the page on my Smartphone, I just see a large light-grey box after the sentence "give it a try", and no buttons.
I guess the real test is: Are you smart enough to use a computer?
Posted By: fatar760

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 10:08 AM

Total: 90%
pitch: 89.9%
musical memory: 94%
contour dis: 81.9%
attention: 88.2%
musical abs: 92.1%

whatever all that means...
Posted By: Mosotti

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 10:10 AM

You're a musical genius smile

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mosotti
You're a musical genius smile

laugh
Posted By: wouter79

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 10:32 AM

>dumb.com ? Mmmm

And I don't see any test on their page, just an introduction text. No next button or whatever
Posted By: patH

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 10:37 AM

What I suspected in my previous post turned out to be true: There are still web page designers who use Flash, even after HTML 5 became established.
Well, considering that there are still people who play the Clavichord after the invention of the Pianoforte, or still ride horses after the invention of the bicycle (motorized or not), I guess it's sort of understandable.

My results.

Total Score: 85%

Pitch discrimination: 82.6%
Musical memory: 85.0%
Contour discrimination: 79.5%
Attention: 81.7%
Musical/visual abstraction: 88.7%
Posted By: ShyPianist

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 11:03 AM

Drum roll please....

Total score 100%

Pitch discrimination: 100.0%
Musical memory: 100.0%
Contour discrimination: 95.2%
Attention: 97.8% (got distracted by a work phone call part way through!)
Musical/visual abstraction: 100.0%

Bear in mind this was the second attempt. The first time I didn't have the foggiest idea what I was looking at or what I was meant to do with it so the scores were distinctly average!
Posted By: Nahum

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 11:08 AM

65%. However, it does not suit me that someone (something) indicates - this is right, but this is wrong. Everyone has their own associations, and I can justify my verbally .
I do not think that synaesthesia should be involved; the visual forms are pretty clear. The sequence in horizontal direction from left to right symbolizes the flow of time; up-and-down directions symbolize curves of melodic intonations; square shapes symbolize individual structures. However, the interpretation of their combinations can be pluralistic ...

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by wouter79
>dumb.com ? Mmmm

And I don't see any test on their page, just an introduction text. No next button or whatever

You have to make sure that Adobe Flash is turned on in your browser.

This is almost the last hurray for this test. Soon no one will have Flash.
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:23 PM

Who decides on the associations? What makes the associations correct? Why not show pictures of food instead?

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Who decides on the associations? What makes the associations correct? Why not show pictures of food instead?

Well I eventually realised the logic described above by Nahum. Two black squares side by side, the same thing repeated by the same instrument. A black & red square, same thing, different instrument. Superimposed, different colours, two instruments playing at the same time, etc. Once that made sense to me then it was a simple aural exercise. Before that all I was aware of was some music and some random shapes, lines and colours (the upwards and downwards arrows were obvious, the rest really not!).

So for me it wasn't an associations thing at all, it was just decoding weird symbols that were supposedly representing what I was hearing.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Originally Posted by ShyPianist
So for me it wasn't an associations thing at all, it was just decoding weird symbols that were supposedly representing what I was hearing.

I've seen similar shape association questions on the Cattell and the WJ. Well on these real IQ tests, psychometricians decide and test questions on test subjects or using sections of the test that are not formally scored but only used for evaluating the questions and not the subject. I have no idea who decided for this particular test.

But remember, they are only trying to have you decide the most likely choice. If you've taken standardized academic tests, such as the SAT or ACT, you've likely encountered similar situations where more then one answer choice might fit, but at least according to the test creator, there is one best answer that fits better than the others.
Posted By: jjo

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:34 PM

The test does a good job of testing test taking skills -- can you figure out what the person who make the test was looking for -- but has nothing whatsoever to do with musical skill, IMHO.
Posted By: KevinM

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:34 PM

I like to think I got 110% as I can't be bothered to install flash to do the test which shows clear superior intellect.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jjo
The test does a good job of testing test taking skills -- can you figure out what the person who make the test was looking for -- but has nothing whatsoever to do with musical skill, IMHO.

This could be said about most standardized test, including IQ test, could it not?

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jjo

Since I got 100% obviously I believe it has everything to do with musical skill lol!

You do need to have some listening skills but really pretty basic. Is the music going up or down? Is this phrase the same as that phrase, longer, shorter, different shape? How many instruments are playing. That's it really. What it has to do with shape associations is anyone's guess. My guess is nothing!
Posted By: Colin Miles

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by jjo

Exactly

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:38 PM

Since I got 100% obviously I believe it has everything to do with musical skill lol!

A musical genius! thumb smile

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:39 PM

cool

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

But remember, they are only trying to have you decide the most likely choice.
Then we are not wrong, but they are. The logical form of assessment should be: 100% probability, 75% probability, 50% probability, 25% probability; or something like that.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nahum
Then we are not wrong, but they are. The logical form of assessment should be: 100% probability, 75% probability, 50% probability, 25% probability; or something like that.

It's very possible they are wrong too. Although note that PW members, such as ShyPianist, already seemed successful with the test maker's own mapping. I doubt the test maker is a psychometrician, and I doubt these questions were tested on test subjects for validity.

I'd like to think it's the fault of the test maker that I only got 65%, and I am very glad I am in your good company as you are a better musician than I will ever hope to be! smile

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 02:06 PM

It's very possible they are wrong too. Although note that PW members, such as ShyPianist, already seemed successful with the test maker's own mapping. I doubt the test maker is a psychometrician, and I doubt these questions were tested on test subjects for validity.

I'd like to think it's the fault of the test maker that I only got 65%, and I am very glad I am in your good company as you are a better musician than I will ever hope to be! smile

Remember I did it twice though, because their mapping made no sense at all to me the first time around!
Posted By: wouter79

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wouter79
>dumb.com ? Mmmm

You have to make sure that Adobe Flash is turned on in your browser.

This is almost the last hurray for this test. Soon no one will have Flash.

Ah that explains, thanks. Flash is arleady on the way out since 2017
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/
Posted By: Whizbang

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 02:46 PM

Total: 95%
Pitch discrimination: 95.7%
Musical memory: 97%
Contour discrimination: 91.6%
Attention: 92.5%
Musical/visual abstraction: 94.3%

I would say that this test is a combination of musical aptitudes as well as ability to quickly tease apart symbolic abstractions--almost like interpreting a language.

The first part of the test does relate to purely musical skills. Skills like ability to remember phrases, separate out multiple voices, listen to the direction of the change of pitch, and analyze the construction of the phrases at a high level definitely do test some musical ability. Having poor musical ability here would almost certainly make the second part of the test a guessing game.

The second part is about translating that musical understanding and analysis into a symbolic language. It's not so much that the music should be evoking particular visual images but instead that specific elements in the diagrams--the use of the same shape versus different shapes, the use of different colors, and the presence of sloping arrows have attributes that represent different elements of the musical phrases.

That the shape is a triangle or a square or whatever is not directly representative of some sense of what the music should be evoking; rather, the shape is used in a consistent matter to represent something about the structure of the music and that meaning stays consistent across the exercises.

So this *is* a test where you are trying to get into the examiner's head but it is not wholly arbitrary. The test is structured like a primer... it begins with simple exercises that define the 'rules' in a rather isolated fashion and it ends with more complicated exercises that use a combination of rules.

Doing well on the questions in the latter half of the test likely requires that you spent the first part of the test trying to "break a code"
Posted By: cmb13

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 03:20 PM

Okay I'm going to cancel my workday to begin this test....

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 03:54 PM

Like many questions on IQ tests, these are associations. So for example, here is a non-musical association to shapes - that is, instead of shapes, I am using numbers - and I've exactly seen this (or something very close to it) before on IQ-like tests:

Is the numeric sequence "2 5 8 5 2" like the shapes /\ or the shape \/ or the shape <> or the shape [] ? In this case, you one would consider the 5 numbers and note that they go up steadily to 8 and come back down the same way, so among the 4 visual shapes, the one that has the closest association would be the shape that also goes up and back down: /\.

This is how associations work between two types of objects which might not be immediately related. Obviously, in the case of the test, we are talking musical tones and not numbers, but frankly, tones and numbers map to each other.

I think now you might see how sequences of tones might relate to shapes. For example, if you have heard C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, and you have a number of shapes to choose from, but one of them is / /, you might choose that one because it shows to identical lines slanting upward like the 'C-D-E-F-G'. On the other hand, you might not be given '/ /' as a choice, but instead one of the choices might be '[] []' Well this might also be a good association. Why? Because 'C-D-E-F-G' repeats twice, just like the '[]' repeats a second time in the shape. Obviously here, you are simply trying to choose one set of shapes which is better than the other choices. One final example: you hear C-D-E-F-G-C-D-E-F-G, but the second 'C-D-E-F-G' gets softer (diminuendo) while the first one stays at the same dynamic. One shape choice is '[] []' and another is '[] |>'. Here, the second one suggests the diminuendo while the first suggests an exact repeat, so you might select the second one instead as a better association than the first.

Do you understand how it works now, outo? If you've never seen this sort of thing before, I can completely understand your confusion.

I have done enough IQ tests to understand the concept, that was not the issue smile
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 04:00 PM

I cannot view the test, but if it works similarly to you explanation I think it's very flawed. One could hear and remember things very clearly but simply not be able to form the association with the shape which is a separate skill.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 04:03 PM

Remember I did it twice though, because their mapping made no sense at all to me the first time around!

Exactly! But unlike you I did not feel like spending any time on it wink

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 04:34 PM

I have done enough IQ tests to understand the concept, that was not the issue smile

That many? What happened, did you fail the first few? Just kidding wink.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by cmb13

That many? What happened, did you fail the first few? Just kidding wink.

I probably did smile

Actually as a psychology minor I was used as a guinea pig, it was a requirement for the courses to be available for all sorts of testing. Some of them were quite weird wink

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 04:42 PM

Exactly! But unlike you I did not feel like spending any time on it

Having got an A in A level music and done really well in aural tests throughout all my exams, I was not going to be defeated by it ;-)

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 04:49 PM

First attempt:

Pitch discrimination: 76.8%
Musical memory 70.6%
Contour discrimination 71.1%
Attention: 74.2%
Musical/visual abstraction: 76.9%

There is a learning curve as to what the symbols are designating. I didn't first understand that the red and black were different voices, and the arrows were pitch, so I got a few wrong in the beginning of the first attempt. Second one was...

Pitch discrimination: 91.3%
Musical memory 90.1%
Contour discrimination 95.2%
Attention: 95.7%
Musical/visual abstraction: 93.9%
Total 95%.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 05:34 PM

This was on a first attempt, not initially sure of what I was doing:

Total score; 80%

Musical memory: 79%
Contour discrimination: 79.5%
Attention: 78.5%
Musical/Visual abstraction: 78.5%

Regards,
Posted By: Morodiene

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 06:02 PM

Total Score: 100%

Pitch discrimination: 100.0%
Musical memory: 100.0%
Contour discrimination: 95.2%
Attention: 97.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 100.0%

I also had trouble the first time I did it because I had no idea what I was looking at. So I did 2 and then figured out what they were getting at, then restarted the whole thing. I can see how it test aural skills, and then you have to figure out how the picture may represent that sound. But strictly aural skills, I think.

There much more to musical intelligence than aural skills, so I think the test is valid for that very narrow aspect of musical ability.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 07:06 PM

Yes, and not only that, but most of us on this board are particularly tuned in to this kind of thing. Ascending and descending pitches, music memory; I'm sure our scores are a lot better than the general public would be.

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 07:09 PM

Yes, and not only that, but most of us on this board are particularly tuned in to this kind of thing. Ascending and descending pitches, music memory; I'm sure our scores are a lot better than the general public would be.

Mine isn't! Maybe I should take again?

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 07:10 PM

Mine isn't! Maybe I should take again?

That or take up golf. rofl jk!
Posted By: AaronSF

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 08:59 PM

That was fun...

Total score; 85%

Pitch discrimination: 82.6%
Musical memory: 85%
Contour discrimination: 90.4%
Attention: 80.6%
Musical/Visual abstraction: 81.9%

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 09:22 PM

Test only takes 5 mins, what kind of work do you do?? laugh

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/01/19 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by fatar760

Test only takes 5 mins, what kind of work do you do?? laugh

Any excuse for an afternoon off wink
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/02/19 01:39 AM

First attempt:

Musical memory 70.6%
Contour discrimination 71.1%
Attention: 74.2%
Musical/visual abstraction: 76.9%

There is a learning curve as to what the symbols are designating. I didn't first understand that the red and black were different voices, and the arrows were pitch, so I got a few wrong in the beginning of the first attempt. Second one was...

Pitch discrimination: 91.3%
Musical memory 90.1%
Contour discrimination 95.2%
Attention: 95.7%
Musical/visual abstraction: 93.9%
Total 95%.
The above just shows that there is a lot more than musical skill involved in the test. And that lot more has nothing to do with music. So the test in quite poor as a measure of musical skill. To test musical skill a choice among verbal descriptions would make a lot more sense.
Posted By: CadenzaVvi

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/02/19 02:00 AM

I should have finished it the first time to compare.

After the fourth question (or so), I completely realized what was asked, so I decided to start again (the first time, I didn't even notice that it was shown if the answer was wrong or right, so I haven't cheat that way ^^).

So on second try (but 2/3 of the questions I haven't answer the first time), I've got:

Pitch discrimination: 94,2%
Musical memory: 97,0%
Contour discrimination: 89,2%
Attention: 92,5%
Musical/visual abstraction: 95,5%
Posted By: spartan928

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/02/19 03:00 AM

Pitch discrimination: 84.1%
Musical memory: 91%
Contour discrimination: 75.9%
Attention: 82.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 87.6%

total: 85%

Not sure how scientific this is, but was interesting.
Posted By: facdo

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/05/19 03:20 PM

Wow, I wasn`t expecting that, I got 95% in the first try!

Pitch discrimination: 94.2%
Musical memory: 97.0%
Contour discrimination: 85.5%
Attention: 93.5%
Musical/visual abstraction: 97.7%

I don`t know how relevant this is regarding musical skills. I always thought I had a bad ear and bad musical perception, not coming from a family of musicians. I can`t identify pitch or relative intervals, so I thought that I couldn`t possibly have a high score in any musical perception test. But I am pretty sure I couldn`t pass an admission exam for a music school, so this test might be pointless after all.
Posted By: thepianoplayer416

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/05/19 03:46 PM

Total Score: 70%

Pitch discrimination: 63.8%
Musical memory: 70.0%
Contour discrimination: 62.7%
Attention: 68.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 76.2%

Rather average score. Some of these took a bit of guessing...

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/05/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by facdo
. But I am pretty sure I couldn`t pass an admission exam for a music school, so this test might be pointless after all.
It is pointless! I was in my class one of the best students in solfeggio; as a jazz musician, I understand the melodic contour better than the average academic musician; I do not complain about musical-visual abstraction. Yet my first test was 65%. Laugh ...
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/05/19 09:12 PM

Out of curiosity, I took this once:

Overall: 75%

Pitch discrimination: 66.7%
Musical memory 74.5%
Contour discrimination 81.9%
Attention: 73.1%
Musical/visual abstraction: 70.6%
Posted By: piano_primo_1

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/05/19 09:23 PM

I d assoc blue with Debussy, red with military marches of Tchaikovsky, Yellow and orange with quick and light like Solfeggietto...Bach... Purple with Bach's Agnus Dei, and Green with "Greensleeves" ha hah

I didn't take the test....

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/06/19 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
. One could hear and remember things very clearly but simply not be able to form the association with the shape which is a separate skill.

Combining individual skills in this case is called synesthesia. We are all born with this, but gradually lose with the development of logical thinking. However, the synesthesia embryos remain, and through training they can be strengthened - as opposed to eg. Perfect Pitch.
Posted By: Ted

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/06/19 06:51 AM

34%, missed the bus on that one !
Posted By: CadenzaVvi

Re: The Musical Visual Intelligence Test - 05/07/19 12:24 AM

Well, maybe it points out an ability to be able to develop a relative ear.

If you can't even tell if there is a difference between two chords or two excerpts, you can't learn to name that difference.
So I guess it is a necessary base.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums