Piano World Home Page

Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One

Posted By: Haruki

Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 03:35 AM

Hi everyone!

I’m a self-taught piano enthusiast. I’ve started around 3 years ago and I’ve been learning mainly with the book series “Alfred Basic Adult Course All in One”.

Now I’m almost finished with the third and last book, and I was wondering how should I continue from there on. Which books would help me progress from that level to a more advanced level? Is there any good book series that I can follow after the Alfred series?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Animisha

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 06:22 AM

I don't know of any method books after that level, but one of the things you can do is try to find tutorials for pieces that you would like to learn. For instance, the famous Clementi 36 nr 1. If this idea appeals to you, I started a thread about this a while ago, and there are many suggestions that you can chose from. There are also many more tutorials online.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 07:04 AM

Or you could subscribe to Pianist magazine! smile

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Animisha

What do you mean by subscribing to Piano Magazine? Do they have courses?

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 09:11 AM

I don't know of any method books after that level, but one of the things you can do is try to find tutorials for pieces that you would like to learn. For instance, the famous Clementi 36 nr 1. If this idea appeals to you, I started a thread about this a while ago, and there are many suggestions that you can chose from. There are also many more tutorials online.

I actually do that from time to time. But the problem is that I don’t feel or see a constant progress if I just play pieces I like. I would prefer some method book that will assure a constant progress.
Posted By: WiseBuff

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 09:15 AM

You could try the RCM series. I'm not sure what level you'd be at after Alfred but I'm guessing level 3. The series provides repertoire, etudes, theory, and technique.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Haruki

Now I don't subscribe to Piano Magazine, but it is a newsletter for piano learners with lessons. Take a look: Pianist magazine
Posted By: Tech-key

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 12:22 PM

I had followed some of pianotv’s book recommendations for my level. You can have a look at these pages:

https://www.pianotv.net/2017/04/favorite-grade-3-piano-books/

https://www.pianotv.net/music-piano-books-recommendations-levels/

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
You could try the RCM series. I'm not sure what level you'd be at after Alfred but I'm guessing level 3. The series provides repertoire, etudes, theory, and technique.

Thanks! I’ll check that one.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:12 PM

Now I don't subscribe to Piano Magazine, but it is a newsletter for piano learners with lessons. Take a look: Pianist magazine

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:20 PM

I searched for the RCM series, but it looks like there are several series. Which one did you have in mind? Could you give me the name of the series? Thanks!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:32 PM

I searched for the RCM series, but it looks like there are several series. Which one did you have in mind? Could you give me the name of the series? Thanks!

This is the complete piano set. You can also get the 45 books either individually, or in sets per each level, from the website. There are 4 books per level except for the very earliest levels, which have fewer.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
This is the complete piano set. You can also get the 45 books either individually, or in sets per each level, from the website. There are 4 books per level except for the very earliest levels, which have fewer.

Forgot to include the Music Theory set. Here it is. This set is needed if one is actually planning to take RCM exams since each level of piano, starting grade 5, I believe, requires music theory also. Again, these books can be bought individually from the website.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot! So there are actually several books per level! It looks very interesting.

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:46 PM

Thanks a lot! So there are actually several books per level! It looks very interesting.

Yes, and note I posted a 2nd message with the music theory set I left out of my original post.

EDIT: BTW, you don't need to buy the following as they set out the instruction and specific syllabus for each grade. Instead, you can just download these PDFs from the Internet:

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 01:57 PM

Yes, and note I posted a 2nd message with the music theory set I left out of my original post.

EDIT: BTW, you don't need to buy the following as they set out the instruction and specific syllabus for each grade. Instead, you can just download these PDFs from the Internet:

I see. Good to know! Thanks!
Posted By: WeakLeftHand

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 03:10 PM

I thought I saw a correlation chart somewhere on the www for the Alfred’s Adult AIO series. I’m on a very weak wifi signal right now so can’t search for it at the moment. If you find it, it will tell you what level in their other series you can go to next.

I know for sure that Faber’s has a correlation chart.
Posted By: Roadkill

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/25/19 04:29 PM

https://pianoadventures.com/wp-cont...9/Piano-Adventures-Correlation-Chart.pdf

Nifty
Posted By: cmb13

Re: Book Recommendations after Alfred Adult All in One - 04/28/19 12:24 AM

After All In One I just started learning repertoire and songs.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums