Piano World Home Page

April Piano Bar

Posted By: jazztpt

April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 09:48 AM

I'll kick off the bar again this month with a few tunes of mine.

First off is 'One Two and Three' which I have been playing around with for a few months.

One Two and Three

Next up is 'New Lifetime' , I posted the improvisation (jazz) section last year with the ending removed, a few were interested so I have included it here, the ending recorded using midi and a Yamaha SY35 synth about 25 years ago, for the time I think the sounds are pretty decent. (jump to 3:40 if you just want to listen to the ending)

New Lifetime

And just for fun here is one from the archive , this is a tune called 'Truthfully' and I can say truthfully I have no idea why. In this one a band turned up to the Bar and played some elevator music :-)
Again all recorded using midi and the Yamaha SY35 synth. Production is basic by todays standards but it was 25 years ago and I had no idea what I was doing lol.

Truthfully

Thanks for listening
Posted By: Pianist685

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 03:57 PM

Jazztpt - One, Two and Three Not a waltz as I was expecting from the title, but very, very pleasant music. I could sing along the words "One, two and three" with the first notes of the melody. The piece is lacking a lyric. EDIT: Oh, I just realized your composition must be written in 6/8 time, at least the way you are playing it sounds like that.
New Lifetime Very jazzy and freely played. A new lifetime... Isn't that what we all want?
Truthfully Very good elevator music, indeed. I would love to hear this tune when I take an elevator next time.

I recently recorded a couple of pieces by the Korean New Age composer Yiruma, I find quite nice with his treble oriented, slightly syncopated style. Here is my latest work from yesterday. I am playing this piece a little faster than Yiruma himself, trying to let it sound less “cornball”.

Yiruma, Maybe
Posted By: IosPlayer

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 06:13 PM

Jazztpt, you piano playing is really expressive (since your main instrument is tpt?) You show three very different faces with these three. I like your runs and melodic sense,
Wish you would EQ these, though. One Two Three especially as it is something new.
Pianist685 don’t know this composer but I bet he would be pleased with your playing. Very light and adept.

My contribution...

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/bluebird-boulevard

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 06:45 PM

Thanks Constantin and Mike for your comments.

Constantin - 'Yiruma , Maybe' a charming and sweet piece with I must say, impeccable playing. Very nice indeed.

MIke - One of my favourites of yours , melody and rich harmonly with some lovely voicings. I am impressed how you maintain interest throughout your pieces.
In this one , at times I was hearing Greensleeves, was it based on that at all?

Thanks for the tip on EQ, no idea what it does but I will look into it :-)
Posted By: Serge88

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 07:51 PM

thumb
Posted By: Tim Adrianson

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 09:00 PM

Lush Life -- Billy Strayhorn arr Nelson Riddle

Here is the first of three more submissions from the Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle collaboration, covering some of the finest standards from the Great American Songbook. "Lush Life" has to be one of the most harmonically complex songs ever to make it into the standard repertoire. Apparently Billy Strayhorn wrote it in his early 20s, although it didn't make its mark until Nat King Cole recorded it in 1949 (and evidently, Strayhorn didn't like the arrangement that Cole used). Note how Riddle starts with a highly dissonant, harsh introduction that gradually morphs into the opening recitative. He otherwise IMO provides a pretty straightforward treatment of the song, but wow -- what changes!

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 09:08 PM

Skylark -- Hoagy Carmichael arr Nelson Riddle

The second from the Ronstadt/Riddle collaboration is "Skylark", by Hoagy Carmichael -- IMO, one of the really underrated songwriters from the 30s and 40s. The bridge is just so exquisite harmonically; it rivals Jerome Kern's elegant writing in that regard. And Riddle provides both a wonderful introduction and conclusion to the song, IMO perfectly capturing the melancholy of the lyric.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/02/19 09:18 PM

You Took Advantage of Me -- Richard Rodgers arr Nelson Riddle

The final number from the Ronstadt/Riddle collaboration is more up-tempo in nature -- and there weren't many of those in the mix; they strongly gravitated to the torch song element of the American Songbook. "You Took Advantage of Me" is from that utter treasure trove of Rodgers and Hart standards from the 1930s. The musicals aren't much remembered any more, but the songs sure are!
Posted By: Handyman

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

... "You Took Advantage of Me" is from that utter treasure trove of Rodgers and Hart standards from the 1930s. The musicals aren't much remembered any more, but the songs sure are!

Tim - really excellent rendition of this delightful song which I didn't know and had never heard before - and this caught me totally off guard because I thought I had heard almost everything by the great team of Rogers and Hart over the years...

I went to YouTube to check out versions and Linda's was there and it's a good one, and so is Ella's, but my favorite is one by the often underrated Rosemary Cloney from 1960 in an arrangement by Riddle which is great listening...

Also, Wiki tells me this song was composed in 1928 for the musical "Present Arms" (later a movie). The lyrics of the bridge seem just a tad risque for the time (or maybe not):

I'm so hot and bothered that I don't
Know my elbow from my ear
I suffer something awful each time you go
And much worse when you're near...

So, thanks much for the introduction - my own submission to the Bar this month will be another great Rogers and Hart classic song from a 30s musical, "My Funny Valentine" (as soon as I get it recorded satisfactorily).

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 12:55 PM

Michael – Bluebird Boulevard A very nice, contemplative improvisation. The cloudy sunset photo seems very appropriate to the song. Wow, you have hired a whole church choir for just some short background passages.

Tim – Skylark A very tender tune, I have never heard before. And an appropriate complement to the other Carmichael song (Stardust) I posted last month. Not meant as a criticism: but could it be your piano needs some tuning?
Lush Life The arrangement is very artful, indeed, somewhat dramatic at first, impressionistic throughout the theme. I am tempted to call that “classical music” instead of “jazz”. If my memory serves, we had a rendition of this song already in an earlier Piano Bar, maybe by Riddler (not Riddle).
You took advantage of me Great, fantastic! It put me in a good mood. This Riddle arrangement you are playing is marvellous. In fact, unlike Handyman, this is the only tune of your bunch of three that I know, though I cannot remember whose version I have heard before and when.
Posted By: Beemer

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 04:02 PM

Jazztpt,
I must confess that this style of jazz is very new to me and I find it difficult to understand its structure. I keep seeking to hear repeats of melody or motif but the music evolves as if alive! Your playing is great and I applaud your improvisations.

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 04:05 PM

Pianist 685,

Very dreamy and evocative music superbly played.

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 04:16 PM

IosPlayer,
I very much enjoyed all of your bluebird-boulevard up to 1:30 but then you introduced what I can only describe as "jangles". Your call of course but it made me slightly nervous.

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 04:27 PM

Tim,

First thing I noticed was that in Lush Life if I'm not mistaken you have had your piano tuned? Well maybe that was the second thing as the intro had indeed very dramatic chords! What a great number and so many different recordings.

Skylark and You Took Advantage of me are in my favourites list to listen to and play. You did them all proud.

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 04:36 PM

Here are the first two of my April pieces. I cannot play the kind of jazz I've been hearing here lately but it has prompted me to try some blues.

Careless Love

Trouble In Mind

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 09:39 PM

Can someone confirm that they can open my two pieces without having to log in to box.com? I can do it from my desktop running Chrome browser, but my Android tablet is asking me to log in first.

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/03/19 10:03 PM

It’s fine Ian. Will have a listen tomorrow.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 06:25 AM

Jazztpt,
thanks,
Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 11:41 AM

Here's another of the many great Rogers and Hart tunes - this one is from the 1937 hit Broadway musical "Babes in Arms", which was later made into a movie starring Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland.

Lorenz Hart was considered by many as one of the finest lyricists ever, some putting him in the same elevated class as Cole Porter. His lyrics were invariably witty and clever, as shown by this excerpt from "Valentine":

...Your looks are laughable, un-photographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art.

Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

My Funny Valentine

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 02:14 PM

Beemer - two songs new to me , great relaxing listen for a Thursday afternoon with a cup of coffee. By the way you don't need to play any sort of jazz, just play what you want. cool

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 02:23 PM

Handyman - My Funny Valentine , yeah one of my favourites and in its original form. I grew up with the Miles Davis version from 1964 where to be fair not a lot of the original tune was left. Never the less it has been one of favourites since then and have recently been listening again to Chet Bakers version, which is also exquisite and he actaully sings the tune lol. Nicely played by the way.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 02:31 PM

Tim Adrianson - three more classics and two which I play often, in fact they have been on my list for the bar for a while (along with funny valentine) but will keep for now.
Excellent arrangements with fine playing, not much more to say really other than great listen and keep them coming.

( Funny enough I came across Keith Jarrett's version of 'You Took Advantage....' the other week, it's on YouTube, worth a listen I would say )

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 03:56 PM

Handyman,
My Funny Valentine - Nicely played and a good choice.
Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 09:00 PM

Hi, folks! A nice set of submissions this month -- hopefully, we'll get a few more.

jazztpt "One Two and Three" was for me very reminiscent of the Vince Guaraldi jazz scores for the Peanuts TV specials, for whatever reason -- it had that same gentle lilt, a childlike lyrical quality about it that was most infectious. In the case of "New Lifetime", I could have done without the synthesizer -- I was just never a fan of that type of sound; in fact, to this day, I seek out the Acoustic station on Sirius XM for just that reason. I get the same bad vibe on "Truthfully" -- that one strikes me as a "concession" from a Jazz-based perspective to one more attuned to contemporary Pop. But they were all effective, satisfying musical statements, as always.

Pianist685 -- "Yiruma -- Maybe?" Well, I confess I haven't kept up with what used to be called "New Age" music -- for me, the genre started in California in the 1980s, the Windham Hill recordings being the best known. But in any event, this is stylistically very true to what I remember from that era, in the best sense of that understanding. OK, it doesn't develop much from the initial idea, but there's enough of an "earworm" to carry it through, very attractively.

IosPlayer -- In "Bluebird Boulevard", your addition of the various voicings as the improvisation progressed was fascinating to listen to -- your introduction of the theme with disturbing dissonant undertones was a concept I thought you might pursue to a greater degree than you did. I wasn't disappointed in your improvisational choices, but I was intrigued with the possibility of "doubling down" on the implications of your opening statement. Well, I guess the important thing is that I do listen with interest to where you're going, from beginning to end.

Beemer -- Well, there's just no way "Careless Love" is a Blues-based song, but I did find the arrangement an interesting departure from the Country and Western mode in which I've always heard it -- and a very attractive one. By contrast, "Trouble in Mind" IS definitely Blues-based -- it's one not familiar to me, but it was really a sophisticated song in the Great American Songbook style.

Handyman -- As you say, "My Funny Valentine" is a well-deserved American Standard by anybody's measure, and your rendition just underlines the subtle chordal progressions that match the bittersweet lyric to a tee.

Beemer, Pianist 685 -- You've got good ears! I recorded "Lush Life" last December, shortly after the piano was tuned; by contrast, "Skylark" I recorded only a couple of days ago, when months of my relentless abuse have clearly wreaked havoc upon the overall tuning. I have on occasion doctored a couple of notes here and there myself, but I'm frankly not very good at it, and prefer to get a tuning every 6 months -- and coincidentally, I arranged for that tuning for this May 21, when we are the host for an amateur musical group that same evening.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/04/19 09:40 PM

Tim,
Regarding your tuning. You said that I must have good ears. I have an advantage because I tune my own Blüthner and retune any drifting unison immediately so the piano is always in tune.

Regarding your comment about Careless Love not being a blues tune. It certainly is, with its country versions (e.g. Peggy Seeger) being introduced much later.

Here is Bessie Smith:

https://tinyurl.com/yxjv53sr

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/05/19 12:52 PM

Sorry,

Looks like using Tinyurl does not work with You Tube videos

So again here is Bessie Smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iympOhiU1o&list=RD7iympOhiU1o&start_radio=1&t=0

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/05/19 01:03 PM

Hi, Beemer! Well, I'll be -- I never knew that "Careless Love" was originally a Blues tune! I believe it was Hank Williams that put it on the map in C & W, sometime in the late 40s - early 50s. Thanks for that correction -- and the incomparable Bessie Smith recording. She sure could outmuscle any deficiency in the sound equipment!
Posted By: IosPlayer

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/05/19 02:22 PM

Hi Tim, thanks for the interesting comment. Yes, it could have been influenced by that dissonance, but, frankly, I do not direct these things with my thinking mind. I once asked my teacher " if I play something I like, should I play it again?" Her response: "Anything but!). I seem to follow that advice after years of trying to get to a nonjudgmental place. I do repeat themes, but almost never by conscious choice. I am at the mercy of the gods.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/05/19 05:55 PM

Well to hopefully keep things going a bit longer this month here's another one from me , some straight ahead jazz with my 'virtual trio' ( courtesy of the iReal App ).
Henry Mancini's Days Of Wine And Roses from the film of the same name.

Days of Wine and Roses

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/06/19 06:43 AM

Jazztpt,
A great upbeat performance full of joy. I much prefer this to the slower romantic versions. Did you play this live to a backing track?

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/06/19 09:27 AM

Beemer – Careless Love I love the left hand pattern of this arrangement you are playing admirably softly.
Trouble in Mind This one is such a gently swinging, bluesy song. By whom is it? Interesting: in the “A” part, maybe the verse, the usual 12 bars blues pattern is extended to 16 bars by repeating measures 5-8. Just great and perfectly played. I have listened to it four times. No, you do not have to play any sort of jazz here but I would appreciate if you did because you are that good at it.

Handyman – My funny Valentine A very romantic arrangement and rendition of a great jazz standard I enjoyed very much.

Jazztpt – Days of Wine and Roses Oh, yeah, strike up the band… Very professional and great fun to listen to. A perfect start into the weekend.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/06/19 03:28 PM

Pianist685,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. Trouble in Mind was written by Richard M.Jones and published in 1937

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrF8HVrt2os

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/06/19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Beemer
Jazztpt,
............ Did you play this live to a backing track?

Ian

Hi Ian , yes played live with the backing generated by the iReal App. I can play generated backing tracks through my Roland and play along but if I want to record what I am playing I have to either use a mike or jump through a few hoops as below.

To record the backing with the live playing I have to export the backing track in MIDI format and import it to my MIDI sequencer on my PC (in my case Anvil Studio which is free). I then assign the instruments (bass and drums) and play the MIDI backing track back through my piano and at the same time record the piano part to a spare track on the sequencer. After that I can import the full MIDI track back into the piano (which will then play all the parts) and then export it as a wave file. Gosh that sounds complicated but once you know what you are doing its straight forward.

My piano is a Roland HP507 , I believe the more recent models have wifi or bluetooth which make the transfer of the midi files a bit less fiddly, I dont do it that often so its no great issue to me.

Also rather than use a PC to run the sequencer, iPad versions are available, Mike (IosPlayer) is the expert on that setup.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/06/19 03:41 PM

Beemer & Pianist685 - Days of wine and roses, thanks for your comments, glad you liked it.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/07/19 03:59 PM

Mean to me -- Turk/Ahlert arr Nelson Riddle

In the interests of extending the Piano Bar listening experience for this month, here is another American Standard from the Ronstadt/Riddle collaboration. "Mean to Me" was written in 1929, and at least to my ear, it borrows from the early Jazz and Blues genre that was becoming increasingly popular in the 1920s, helped along by the fledgling recording industry. This song managed to stick around over the years, as various Jazz bands and combos found it effective and appealing.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/10/19 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jazztpt
I'll kick off the bar again this month with a few tunes of mine.

First off is 'One Two and Three' which I have been playing around with for a few months.

One Two and Three

I'm delayed listening/commenting this month - too many distractions elsewhere...

jazztpt - liked this one a lot - nice, easy listening...very enjoyable "groove"...

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/10/19 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pianist685

I recently recorded a couple of pieces by the Korean New Age composer Yiruma, I find quite nice with his treble oriented, slightly syncopated style. Here is my latest work from yesterday. I am playing this piece a little faster than Yiruma himself, trying to let it sound less “cornball”.

Yiruma, Maybe

Constantin - I'm somewhat familiar with New Age piano music and I believe I've heard this composer/pianist on one of the iheartradio streaming radio stations - it might have been the David Lanz or Jim Brickman stations - anyway, this is a gentle, listenable piece very well played!

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/10/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by IosPlayer

Michael - soft, relaxing, melodic Blues sounds - nicely done...

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/10/19 08:56 PM

Here are the first two of my April pieces. I cannot play the kind of jazz I've been hearing here lately but it has prompted me to try some blues.

Careless Love

Trouble In Mind

Ian

Ian - good job on these two - enjoyable - when I saw the title "Careless Love" I thought you were going to play the old folk song by J.D.Souther, but then after checking I found that his famous old standard is actually called "Faithless Love" - after listening to Bessie's version of "Careless" and a Crystal Gayle version of "Faithless" it's the same sad old heartbreak, just different tunes...

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/10/19 09:50 PM

If you aren't already familiar with it I wanted to bring to everyone's attention here a website called

Cafe Songbook

which bills itself as "The Internet Home of the Songs, Songwriters and Performers of The Great American Songbook". It can be found here: Cafe Songbook

I discovered this wonderful resource while looking for details on the history of the song "My Funny Valentine", my submission to the Bar this month. Here is the page within the Cafe discussing the song:My Funny Valentine. Note the "Reading Room" section and the "Record/Video Cabinet" section.

I think most of us who frequent the Bar on a regular basis will find this a very valuable source of information in general - and for our versions of songs we post here in particular. I can see myself spending many hours there.

Enjoy, John

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/11/19 03:01 PM

Tim - Mean to me Thanks for another wonderful rendition in this month's Piano Bar that seems to have become a sort of tribute to the Ronstadt/Riddle collaboration.

The Cafe Songbook website is a great reading resource, though at some points still a work in progress. Information about "Mean to me" is still lacking: http://www.cafesongbook.com/pages/songs/m/mean_to_me_m.html
Posted By: Riddler

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/15/19 07:46 PM

Geez, you guys really got a head start on me this month. Gonna hafta work hard to catch up.

Jazztpt
One Two and Three: Cheerful, tuneful, that descending bass line is very appealing.
New Lifetime: These old recordings may be relatively low-fi, but they bring back another time and place. Great music.
Days of Wine and Roses: Another fav of mine. You sound like Red Garland! Well done!

Pianist685
Maybe: New Age maybe, but crisper and jauntier and with feeling. Good recording too.

IosPlayer
BluebirdBoulevard: Very free-flowing and creative. The part with the voices was very strong

Tim
Lush Life: Love that song! As you say, what changes! And what a dynamite introduction! Didn’t Andrew Lloyd Webber plagiarize something from this?
Skylark: Hey, no fair Tim, you are hogging all the good songs this month. Just kidding. Wonderful playing as usual.
You Took Advantage of Me: Catchy song, great arrangement.
Mean to me: I am so accustomed to hearing the Monk version of this song that at first, I did not recognize the sentimental version!

Beemer
Careless Love: I think I remember this being on the hit parade. Excellent playing.
Trouble in Mind: straightforward, bluesy rendition. Well done.

Handyman
My Funny Valentine: This is one of those songs I’ve loved since hearing my mother sing it while she was hanging out the laundry! Beautiful.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/15/19 10:49 PM

My piece this month is Dolores, by Wayne Shorter, who played sax with one of the Miles Davis groups.

I love the tune, but it is complex, and the Davis group played it at a tempo that is way beyond me. Apparently even Miles found it challenging. In the recording session, he stops playing at one point and says that he can never figure out when he is supposed to come in. At another point, he stops and says: "That's some funny ****, boy". I always get a kick out of finding stuff like that (like when Sinatra gave up trying to sing Lush Life) - if guys like that had trouble, I should not expect it to come easy!

Anyway, I am playing here from a lead sheet, with a backing track.

Ed

Dolores

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/16/19 09:17 AM

Riddler,

I'm intrigued by this piece which you played so well. You said that it was written by a sax player so is their a sax recording of it? I'm interested because I have recently bought an alto sax and will soon start lessons.

Ian

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/16/19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Riddler
My piece this month is Dolores, by Wayne Shorter, who played sax with one of the Miles Davis groups.

Anyway, I am playing here from a lead sheet, with a backing track.

Ed

Dolores

New to me and smooth, upbeat and well-played - good listening...

Thanks for your comments on "My Funny Valentine" - I, like probably many, had always assumed that it was a song to be sung by a man about his love for a not overly attractive, but still strangely appealing, woman - however, in the musical "Babes in Arms" it's sung by a woman about the man she loves (whose name was changed in the Book to Valentine, or Val, to make the song work)...other songs to come from that perhaps most successful of the 30 Rogers & Hart's musicals are:

Where or When
Johnny One Note
The Lady is a Tramp
I Wish I Were in Love Again (one of my own personal favorites), which contains in part these cynically witty lyrics:
The broken dates, the endless waits
The lovely loving and the hateful hates
The conversation with the flying plates
I wish I were in love again
The furtive sigh, the blackened eye
The words, "I'll love you 'til the day I die"
The self-deception that believes the lie
I wish I were in love again

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/17/19 02:48 PM

Riddler,
... You said that it was written by a sax player so is their a sax recording of it? ....
Ian

Yes, Wayne Shorter played sax for the V.S.O.P. Quintet:

Dolores

Ed

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/17/19 03:02 PM

Ed - Dolores I always appreciate uptempo numbers (and guys who can play them that well) here in the Piano Bar.
Posted By: JohnSprung

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/17/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Handyman
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

... "You Took Advantage of Me" is from that utter treasure trove of Rodgers and Hart standards from the 1930s. The musicals aren't much remembered any more, but the songs sure are!

Tim - really excellent rendition of this delightful song which I didn't know and had never heard before - and this caught me totally off guard because I thought I had heard almost everything by the great team of Rogers and Hart over the years...

In that case you should enjoy the Benny Goodman recording of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2bh1Oc5atk

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/17/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Handyman
... cynically witty lyrics:

Yeah.

I think I have a lot of fragments from the Great American Songbook lodged in the dark corners of my brain - because the lyrics are funny or clever, or because the tune is catchy or beautiful - and when I hear or read anything that reminds me of these fragments, there is a kind of resonance that occurs, and the thing takes on a deeper reality for me.

So my worldview is shaped by Cole Porter and George/Ira Gershwin and Richard Rogers / Hart / Hammerstein.

Which may explain the battle that plays out in my mind between the romantic and the cynic.

Ed

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/17/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JohnSprung

In that case you should enjoy the Benny Goodman recording of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2bh1Oc5atk

John - thanks much for that great recording of his superb sextet!

And here's that Clooney/Riddle version that I mentioned earlier in this thread:

You Took Advantage of Me

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/18/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Riddler

So my worldview is shaped by Cole Porter and George/Ira Gershwin and Richard Rogers / Hart / Hammerstein.

Which may explain the battle that plays out in my mind between the romantic and the cynic.

Ed

Exactly! Very astute observation.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/20/19 02:57 PM

Tim Adrianson - a very nice 'Mean to Me', some great standards this month, keep them coming chaps.

Riddler - Yes I remember this one from the VSOP band , very well played Ed , great to hear these tunes again, more.

Re: April Piano Bar - 04/20/19 03:06 PM

I am somewhat in love with Keith Jarrett's piano playing and this just makes me smile it's so good.

You Took Advantage Of Me

As do these:

Honeysuckle Rose

Ain't Misbehavin'
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums