Piano World Home Page

Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar?

Posted By: abrogard

Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 03/24/19 12:01 AM

If you have an ornamental couple of notes with an accidental changing the note from the key value - does that change persist for every such note in the bar?

For instance in this bar does the C# effect the C to which the ornament applies and then to any further C notes in that bar?

[img]https://imgur.com/WYZ04dE[/img]

p.s. is there a way to insert images from our pc's ?
Posted By: Fidel

Re: Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 03/24/19 04:00 AM

It's also in the bass so yes in this case it's for the entire bar.
Posted By: Animisha

Re: Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 03/24/19 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fidel

But the one for the left hand is a lower c than the one for the right hand - so these two accidents are different.

Originally Posted by abrogard

Oh I wish! But, no. frown
Posted By: keystring

Re: Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 03/24/19 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by Fidel

But the one for the left hand is a lower c than the one for the right hand - so these two accidents are different.

There is also the underlying harmony, which is outlined by the broken chords in the bass.

It is always good to give more of the music, to give us the context of the piece for additional clues. Music is a lot like language.
Posted By: abrogard

Re: Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 04/28/19 07:31 AM

Thank you for the replies. Sorry to be so late getting back - I didn't realise they were there.

I am not sure what to understand from the replies, though. I'm thinking you are saying 'yes' simply because there's a specific accidental on the C in the bass? Which suggests that if that were not there and there was only the accidental on the ornament then it would NOT apply for the rest of the bar?

smile
Posted By: Stubbie

Re: Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 04/28/19 03:57 PM

If you have an ornamental couple of notes with an accidental changing the note from the key value - does that change persist for every such note in the bar?

For instance in this bar does the C# effect the C to which the ornament applies and then to any further C notes in that bar?

[img]https://imgur.com/WYZ04dE[/img]

Short answer: it would change it for that note on that same line or space for the rest of the measure.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: Ornament Accidental Changes for the Bar? - 04/28/19 03:59 PM

Thank you for the replies. Sorry to be so late getting back - I didn't realise they were there.

I am not sure what to understand from the replies, though. I'm thinking you are saying 'yes' simply because there's a specific accidental on the C in the bass? Which suggests that if that were not there and there was only the accidental on the ornament then it would NOT apply for the rest of the bar?

smile

An added accidental applies to every note that follows in that same measure if it is at the same pitch. If another C were to appear at a different octave in the same measure and there were no sharp before it (not likely, but possible), it would not be sharped.

Regards,
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums