Piano World Home Page
Posted By: dynamobt Windows 10 Audacity question - 02/28/19 08:00 PM
Now that I have been dragged kicking and screaming into Windows 10, my computer guru tells me that Audacity is not compatible.

All I really need is a program to convert WAV files to mp3. I never was savvy enough on Audacity to do a lot of editing.

So what program are people using now to convert WAV files to recital ready mp3?
Posted By: Chrispy Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 02/28/19 08:37 PM
Your "guru" is wrong. Here is Audacity running just fine on one of my Windows 10 machines.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dynamobt Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 02/28/19 08:47 PM
No kidding!? I’ll have to try an upload it myself. Thanks!!
Posted By: BruceD Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 02/28/19 08:53 PM
I agree with squidbot; I have been running Audacity on Windows 10 for several years.

If I remember correctly, you may have to download LAME for Windows to make Audacity compatible, but don't quote me on that.

Regards,
Posted By: JohnSprung Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 02/28/19 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by BruceD
I agree with squidbot; I have been running Audacity on Windows 10 for several years.

+1
Posted By: ebonykawai Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 02/28/19 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

+1

Same
Posted By: ee375 Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 12:45 AM
How about this? Not sure of the quality though
https://wav-to-mp3.file-converter-online.com/
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 01:36 AM
https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
Posted By: jotur Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 03:27 AM
Audacity on Windows 10 here -
Posted By: peterws Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Now that I have been dragged kicking and screaming into Windows 10, my computer guru tells me that Audacity is not compatible.

All I really need is a program to convert WAV files to mp3. I never was savvy enough on Audacity to do a lot of editing.

So what program are people using now to convert WAV files to recital ready mp3?

You will definitely need Lame, a free download, I think. I've just acquired a Windows 10 machine myself, thought I was getting it in the after Xmas sale, but was offered instead a similar model at a much higher price. I was fuming, vowed never never NEVER to take Wife into Curry's EVER AGAIN!! Spent far more than expected; including £100 on Windows Office, or something, which is bl%^dy useless.
It turned out to be lightning fast, SHE loves it and I rather think I do too, now.

Lame enables the mp3 conversion seamlessly, and is activated automatically every time you use Audacity. Bit of a cheek really . . .
Posted By: Handyman Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 11:17 AM

If I remember correctly, you may have to download LAME for Windows to make Audacity compatible, but don't quote me on that.

Regards,

Yes to Audacity on Windows 10 - and yes, the free LAME plugin is required for mp3 generation (but not to make Audacity itself compatible - it already is)...

Not sure your guru is compatible with Windows 10...
Posted By: StasNick Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 11:50 AM
Hello dynamobt!
For many years I have been using media player AIMP for listening to music and converting files.
It has a very convenient built-in file converter, which supports many different formats, multi-core processors, batch processing of files, etc.

But Audacity also works exactly on Windows 10. But as a converter, perhaps this is not the most convenient application.

P.S.: And a little more advice: you can try to convert your files into OGG format. In my opinion, it is superior to MP3 in quality with a similar file size.
Posted By: Docbop Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 06:18 PM
Your Guru like most is wrong. Other tools I haven't used Windows in a long time mainly Linux and Mac but Windows Media player will do file conversion and what I'm seeing still does in Windows 10. Also a great free audio tool for Windows, Mac, and Linux is VLC it's mainly a audio and video player but does conversions too.

Here's Audacity for Windows page and is says you need the LAME plugin for exporting MP3. That is because of legal issues with MP3 file format.

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

Posted By: Chrispy Re: Windows 10 Audacity question - 03/01/19 07:56 PM
During the installation of Audacity it actually asks if you want to install lame, and it fetches it if you do, so there aren't any additional steps.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums