Piano World Home Page

Pianist magazine

Posted By: Pianoperformance

Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 02:15 AM

Anyone else love using the magazine to help in your practice?
For me, it’s a great resource for sight reading, learning at least one of the pieces, great educational material. Also, love interviews as it guides me to their recitals in my local hometown.
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 02:51 AM

I enjoy it, I've had a subscription now for a little over a year, came on board with issue 99. I just got notice about the latest digital edition today.

Really like the selection of pieces, and I usually try the easier ones for sight reading practice.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 02:57 AM

It's a nice magazine. I've struggled to try to buy the really old back issues back to issue #1. They are available for collectors (not from the publisher of course), but none that I've found come with the CDs. And the CDs were always a big feature of the magazine. Unfortunately, the online back issues only go back a few years, so no help there.
Posted By: Michael Taylor

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 04:40 AM

Where can I get it?

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
Where can I get it?

Check on their website for different subscription options, including iPad.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 05:42 AM

I ordered the digital subscription through pocketmags.com
Posted By: sinophilia

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 07:58 AM

I've been a subscriber for 4 or 5 years now, it's invaluable! If you're not sure which pieces to learn next, this magazine can help. Their grading is not very accurate - there are "beginner/intermediate" pieces that took me forever, and "intermediate" pieces span a huge range of difficulty levels - but the scores are usually very clear and precise, and you also get some nice arrangements thrown in together with the classical pieces. And the recordings and lessons are very useful, especially for teacher-less people like me.

Right now I'm really enjoying browsing through the older issues to find intermediate pieces that I could not learn at the time, but may be feasible now. I take screenshots and transfer them to forScore, and voilà!

New issue today... can't wait to download it smile
Posted By: Sibylle

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 08:13 AM

Aaaaaand here's another thing I've been completely unaware of. Thank you for this thread, and for the link! I just subscribed to their YouTube channel as well.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 11:46 AM

Did I mention that they held a 12-day competition on their social media channels during the holidays, and I won a £20 Amazon voucher?!?

Got myself 3 new piano books grin
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sinophilia
Did I mention that they held a 12-day competition on their social media channels during the holidays, and I won a £20 Amazon voucher?!?

Way to go! thumb
Posted By: Stubbie

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/25/19 02:28 PM

Congratulations! What a cool way to fund one's piano score buying habit. cool
Posted By: ClsscLib

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/26/19 12:12 AM

Pianist magazine is my secret weapon. I love it.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/26/19 01:19 AM

congrats! I am no way experienced enough to compose. But I like that winners in the past, their score and the audio are published in later issues. Definitely love the audio that is integrated in the digital version. Ha, I also do snap shot and load to forScore! Loving the new edition, and checking out a few scores with my teacher and see which ones he recommends I learn. It helps with selecting pieces for my lessons. I have asked Painist if they will load the older magazines onto digital...no definitive seaweed either way.

Posted By: GIJack

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/26/19 01:54 AM

It is a great magazine. I have been a subscriber for a good number of years. I really like the interviews, the letters and the scores. It has introduced me to some composers I knew very little about.
I was really lucky to find many older issues in my local piano shop, all with CDs. I do scan some of the scores and load it into forScore. There is a complete list of scores on their website too.
Posted By: JoeT

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/26/19 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Anyone else love using the magazine to help in your practice?
For me, it’s a great resource for sight reading, learning at least one of the pieces, great educational material. Also, love interviews as it guides me to their recitals in my local hometown.

I'm a subscriber for over three years and it introduced me to a lot of composers I never would have considered practicing. So much have been composed for the piano beside the evergreens. I also made a habit trying to sight-read the "beginner" pieces of each issue.

Each time a new issue is in the mailbox it refreshes the motivation to practice piano. Without a teacher that's pretty important.
Posted By: Colin Miles

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/26/19 08:42 AM

One of Erica's favourite jobs is choosing the scores. And she does a very good job there. Lots of interesting, 'unknown' pieces which are a delight to play and learn.
Posted By: newbert

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/26/19 05:29 PM

I checked out the sample issue in iPad format. Interesting, but too oriented towards classical music for me. If it included even a few Great American Songbook/ Showtunes etc, I'd be much more inclined to subscribe.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by newbert
If it included even a few Great American Songbook/ Showtunes etc, I'd be much more inclined to subscribe.

I bet any magazine is happy to include them - around the year 2100, when their copyrights expired. wink

Also it should be noted, that those songs (derived from "sing") were composed for a different instrument: the voice.

I appreciate a pianist magazine focusing on music composed for solo piano, sonatinas and sonatas.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 12:39 PM

I checked out the sample issue in iPad format. Interesting, but too oriented towards classical music for me. If it included even a few Great American Songbook/ Showtunes etc, I'd be much more inclined to subscribe.

Actually, Pianist has published some of the finest intermediate-level arrangements of Great American Songbook works and other showtunes that I’ve ever seen. Those have been my very favorite scores from the magazine.

They don’t do a great one every single issue, but certainly every few issues they do.

For example, look at issue 105 for the Torme/Wells “Christmas Song”, or issue 103 for Gershwin’s “Someone to Watch Over Me” and Weill’s “September Song.” There are a lot of other great examples that I could cite.
Posted By: Sam S

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 01:29 PM

What do you guys/gals in the US do for a subscription? Pretty pricy for a retired guy. There is one bookstore in a local town that carries it, but I only rarely get over there to buy one. Its $13.75 US off the rack. A subscription is about $80, which is about the same price. The digital version is the bargain I guess, at about $46. But the few times that I have subscribed to a digital magazine I have not enjoyed the experience...

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 01:57 PM

Pianist is about the only paper reading I do, but I also have a digital subscription. The digital version is not bad in the Pocketmags app, and you have digital access to the score demonstration recordings.
Posted By: newbert

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ClsscLib

Actually, Pianist has published some of the finest intermediate-level arrangements of Great American Songbook works and other showtunes that I’ve ever seen. Those have been my very favorite scores from the magazine.

They don’t do a great one every single issue, but certainly every few issues they do.

For example, look at issue 105 for the Torme/Wells “Christmas Song”, or issue 103 for Gershwin’s “Someone to Watch Over Me” and Weill’s “September Song.” There are a lot of other great examples that I could cite.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I'll take a look at those issues.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 02:01 PM

There are often discounts and sales on the digital subscription - I think they just had one. Otherwise it's pretty expensive, at €39.99.

Pianist has its own app, so it's not subject to Zinio's glitches, for instance. I download it on my iPad Pro 12.9" for the music and to my iPad mini to read the articles. The audio is embedded in the download, so you can also listen to the recordings offline, if needed. I listen while following the score and I never had problems. Resolution is very high, unlike International Piano, where scores are barely readable.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 02:19 PM

Here is a link to the complete score list across all issues. At the bottom of the blog post there is a link to a pdf file, which has a section for modern scores.

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/news/pianists-complete-list-of-scores/

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 02:21 PM

There are often discounts and sales on the digital subscription - I think they just had one. Otherwise it's pretty expensive, at €39.99.

Pianist has its own app, so it's not subject to Zinio's glitches, for instance. I download it on my iPad Pro 12.9" for the music and to my iPad mini to read the articles. The audio is embedded in the download, so you can also listen to the recordings offline, if needed. I listen while following the score and I never had problems. Resolution is very high, unlike International Piano, where scores are barely readable.

I also want to speak up about the quality of Pianist Magazine's app. Love being able to click to jump to the score and hit the play button to have Chenyin Li play it for me.

I've done away with all my paper subscriptions. I found that I didn't read any of them. Never at hand when I have the time to read. Much better in a tablet for when I am on the go. I couldn't do it on a phone though. Too small a screen and I am flipping the page too much.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 02:22 PM

Pianist is about the only paper reading I do, but I also have a digital subscription. The digital version is not bad in the Pocketmags app, and you have digital access to the score demonstration recordings.

For Android, there is the PocketMag app and the Pianist app. I think it's the same for Apple. For whatever reason, the Pianist app works better for me than the PocketMag app. Sometimes, the PocketMag app doesn't work at all, just hangs smirk
Posted By: John305

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 02:29 PM

I also subscribe digitally and am very happy with it.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/27/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

For Android, there is the PocketMag app and the Pianist app. I think it's the same for Apple. For whatever reason, the Pianist app works better for me than the PocketMag app. Sometimes, the PocketMag app doesn't work at all, just hangs smirk

When I try to open the Pianist app it seems to want to route me to PocketMags. Anyone else having this experience?
Posted By: Chrispy

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sam S
What do you guys/gals in the US do for a subscription? Pretty pricy for a retired guy. There is one bookstore in a local town that carries it, but I only rarely get over there to buy one. Its $13.75 US off the rack. A subscription is about $80, which is about the same price. The digital version is the bargain I guess, at about $46. But the few times that I have subscribed to a digital magazine I have not enjoyed the experience...

Sam

I don't know if it helps much, but ExpressMag has it for $59 for the year: https://www.expressmag.com/en-us/magazines/product/description/pianist/680/

That's how I get my subscription.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by squidbot

Sam

I don't know if it helps much, but ExpressMag has it for $59 for the year: https://www.expressmag.com/en-us/magazines/product/description/pianist/680/

Thanks Squidbot! That's a great price for the paper magazine. More than 25% off is always a good discount smile

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 03:35 AM

Can anyone who subscribes to both Pianist magazine and International Piano magazine compare the two for us? I haven't ever seen an issue of the latter, but looking through info on the Internet and a sample table of contents, I thought it seemed less appropriate for beginners than Pianist magazine. Is this right?
Posted By: dobro

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
It's a nice magazine. I've struggled to try to buy the really old back issues back to issue #1. They are available for collectors (not from the publisher of course), but none that I've found come with the CDs. And the CDs were always a big feature of the magazine. Unfortunately, the online back issues only go back a few years, so no help there.

I done this with guitar mags and have a library of them now. The few really old ones i have are cool. Ive gotten a few digital back issues of Pianist with plans for more. I really like it and Keyboard magazine.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 04:54 AM

Tyrone, I'd looked at International Piano, and the music and technique do seem geared for a bit more advanced audience. It also has a lot more "pianist fandom" type stuff, which I'm less interested in.

As an aside, I also got a subscription to Clavier's Piano Explorer for my son who absolutely loves it. It's what piqued his interest in composing (they have compositions by kids features in each issue.) https://pianoexplorer.net/

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 06:42 AM

It also has a lot more "pianist fandom" type stuff, which I'm less interested in.

Now that you mention it, it did seem more like a fan mag, although this is perhaps only a difference of degree - Pianist magazine also has its fan sections and a famous pianist on the cover of every issue.

As an aside, I also got a subscription to Clavier's Piano Explorer for my son who absolutely loves it. It's what piqued his interest in composing (they have compositions by kids features in each issue.) https://pianoexplorer.net/

Interesting. It seems most of the piano magazines are no more - following the long, slow decline of pianos in general. Looking on eBay, I see that historically, there were a dozen different piano magazines. It seems like there are only these 3 left now.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 08:01 AM

You guys will be the death of me. I just subscribed to International Piano, too.

*shakes fist at TS*

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 11:43 AM

Sam

Thanks Squidbot! Looks like I have to subscribe now!

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sibylle
You guys will be the death of me. I just subscribed to International Piano, too.

*shakes fist at TS*

Me? LOL. What was it that did it? When I said, "fan mag?" grin

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 12:11 PM

No, when you mentioned it. Because I’d been blissfully unaware of its existence until then grin

You could redeem yourself by completely illegally copying and sending me any articles from past editions about Kissin or Pogorelich or Berezowky... *winning smile*

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 12:18 PM

No, when you mentioned it. Because I’d been blissfully unaware of its existence until then grin

You could redeem yourself by completely illegally copying and sending me any articles from past editions about Kissin or Pogorelich or Berezowky... *winning smile*

Sorry, no can do as I don't have any issues smile or I might be tempted to redeem myself. Squidbot's brief comparison above was enough to suggest to me that this mag might be put off for a time. But who knows. Maybe I will end up ordering it too at some point, although sinophilia has said in the thread above that the digital edition of International Piano is no good, and I'm almost entirely digital these days - just don't have the space for paper, especially of stuff I want to keep long-term.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 12:26 PM

International Piano does not include many scores, just one or a few related pieces, and they're usually contemporary. On one hand it's nice because you get unusual, copyrighted stuff, but they're almost all fairly advanced pieces. Also, there are no "lessons" and no teaching videos in it - just a single article on technique.

As I said, the image quality of scores was always very poor - but in the last issue it was much better, so they may have fixed that.

I like to receive both magazines, because they come out on alternate months! So at the end of each month I always have one or the other to download laugh

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 12:36 PM

I’m not too focused on the scores, they’re a nice bonus to me. Looks like I’ll mostly read PM for advice, technique etc and IP for news on who’s who, and more importantly, who’s playing what and where.

*clears throat* But I’m totally open for donations of fangirl-worthy past articles on certain personages!

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 03:03 PM

I might help here... wink
Posted By: EP

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 06:40 PM

I'm a long-time subscriber to both. They are quite different. Pianist Magazine is more of a "hands-on", with instructional articles, scores and a CD (for all levels). They also have articles about artists, etc. I have an (almost) complete collection since issue 1.
International Piano is more focused on articles about artists, competitions, CD reviews, etc., although they do usually include a few scores, but nothing like Pianist Magazine.
As a piano student, if you were to subscribe to only one, I would definitely recommend Pianist Magazine over International Piano. Both are excellent, just a different focus. I love them both.
Both are available as digital editions at considerable savings.
Too bad Piano Today and Sheet Music Magazine were unable to continue publication for financial reasons. They were real gems. Not to mention Jazz Player magazine and Jazz Improv magazine, both of which were excellent but went by the wayside, also for financial reasons (i.e. not enough subscribers!) Piano magazines need our support! Get them while you can. As a former journalist, I can tell you that print journalism is getting more challenging all the time.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by EP
Too bad Piano Today and Sheet Music Magazine were unable to continue publication for financial reasons. They were real gems. Piano magazines need our support!

I've seen back issues of Piano Today on eBay. Do you know anything about it? Does it contain enough learning material for a piano student that it might be worthwhile picking up some back issues?

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 06:51 PM

Depends on your interest - Piano Today had a lot of scores and articles about composers, performers, etc. Of course on ebay, it's caveat emptor, always.
Sheet Music Magazine was amazing - I was very sad to see them go, but I was able to pick up some collections on ebay. It's almost all sheet music, mostly piano-vocal-guitar type, and a lot of music you probably won't find anywhere else - show tunes, original collections of the great songwriters, etc.
I have a couple hundred of them - I use them for sight reading and never get bored.

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by EP
Depends on your interest - Piano Today had a lot of scores and articles about composers, performers, etc. Of course on ebay, it's caveat emptor, always.

Interesting. Did Piano Today have articles on technique and learning piano, as Pianist magazine has?

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/28/19 07:06 PM

Yes, they would have a few instructional articles each issue. A friend of mine used to write for them and do jazz-oriented instruction.
However, they were gone before the real explosion of online access that is available today with Pianist Magazine. If that's your interest, I'd say your money (and time) would be better spent picking up digital back-issues of Pianist Magazine. (Of course, dependent on what you can find in the used market. Piano Today had a lot of interesting material that you probably won't find anywhere else).
Anybody remember Keyboard Magazine? Back in the day, it was a good magazine, before print magazines became geared to people who couldn't read more than two paragraphs at a time!
Posted By: pathguy

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/29/19 12:52 AM

*shakes fist at TS*

laugh

Re: Pianist magazine - 01/31/19 10:50 PM

I just picked up the Great Piano Composers of the Classical Era issue for 99 cents laugh
Posted By: chronos1701

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 12:04 PM

Pianist magazine is great. I'll pick one up from the newsstand every time I see a new issue. The pieces they feature every month is a good way to discover new repertoire to try out, and comes with a CD so you know how its supposed to sound. It helps me to decide if this piece is something I want to work on or now. I didn't get the digital subscription because I don't like practicing from an iPad.

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 02:46 PM

I just picked up the Great Piano Composers of the Classical Era issue for 99 cents laugh

bSharp, where did you find this?

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 02:52 PM

Email ad that was sent to me. But it should be listed as 99 cents when searching for it. Try this link.

https://pocketmags.com/us/pianist-magazine/great-piano-composers-of-the-classical-era
Posted By: newer player

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 03:18 PM

That is a good deal for 0.99$.

On that site, you can also try a free sample. Signup takes 30 seconds and simply required email and password.

The zoom +/- feature at the bottom right of the screen is useful.

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 03:40 PM

Email ad that was sent to me. But it should be listed as 99 cents when searching for it. Try this link.

https://pocketmags.com/us/pianist-magazine/great-piano-composers-of-the-classical-era

Thanks! Snagged it just now smile

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 08:19 PM

Haha, I am loving the conversation here...#support these mags. Anyone who needs help contact pocketmags, as they are the publishers. I use the app on my iPad as part of my learning tools. I also have the international mag for pure reading, as commented by many above.

Sometimes pocketmags has the discount, and they will attach it to your app/account. Just remember to cancel the iPad app’s renewal though. I just paid a lovely low renewal price for both magazines. Their tech support was brilliant.

I am really hoping they will upload the earlier magazines, purely for the learning material and the scores/embedded music.

I don’t have any affiliation, but what to spread the joy as an adult learner.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 08:54 PM

I guess most of you aren't old enough to remember "Etude Magazine":

The Etude Magazine: 1883-1957

Etude Magazine was published by Theodore Presser Company between 1883 and 1957. It was a staple for music teachers throughout the country, providing articles related to music history, new developments in music, and practical teaching techniques, as well as musical scores from the classics and new pieces for beginning to advanced students. Begun as an aid for piano teachers, the magazine grew to include information and literature for vocal and instrumental enthusiasts as well. Not only is the series important to the musician, but it provides an insight into the culture itself, including the impact of the development of the car, radio, and television, and expands to world music and the influence of world wars on that culture.

Regards,
Posted By: Steve.L

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/01/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BruceD

Etude Magazine was published by Theodore Presser Company between 1883 and 1957. It was a staple for music teachers throughout the country, providing articles related to music history, new developments in music, and practical teaching techniques, as well as musical scores from the classics and new pieces for beginning to advanced students. Begun as an aid for piano teachers, the magazine grew to include information and literature for vocal and instrumental enthusiasts as well. Not only is the series important to the musician, but it provides an insight into the culture itself, including the impact of the development of the car, radio, and television, and expands to world music and the influence of world wars on that culture.

Regards,
Etude PDFs can be found here:

https://digitalcommons.gardner-webb.edu/etude/
Posted By: dcupright

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/02/19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Steve.L

Regards,
Etude PDFs can be found here:

https://digitalcommons.gardner-webb.edu/etude/

thank you for the link, looks like some very interesting reading.

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/02/19 01:14 AM

I'll add my thanks for the Etude link, what a wealth of free information!

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/02/19 01:26 AM

Oooh thanks for link to etude...

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/02/19 01:39 AM

Regards,

These really are invaluable for information. I have a few of the 1880's originals in my collection.
Posted By: Stubbie

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/02/19 01:44 AM

I have a number of Etude issues that belonged to my grandmother. They range in date from the early 1900's to about 1945. In one of them there is an announcement of a concert by Mrs. H. H. Beach. Mrs. Henry Harris Beach = Amy Beach. She went by Amy Beach in Europe, but as Mrs. H.H. Beach in the U.S.

Re: Pianist magazine - 02/02/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stubbie
I have a number of Etude issues that belonged to my grandmother. They range in date from the early 1900's to about 1945. In one of them there is an announcement of a concert by Mrs. H. H. Beach.

Nice! How historical.

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Mrs. Henry Harris Beach = Amy Beach. She went by Amy Beach in Europe, but as Mrs. H.H. Beach in the U.S.

Wikipedia:
Amy was married the same year (1885) to Dr. Henry Harris Aubrey Beach, a Boston surgeon twenty-four years her senior (she was eighteen at the time). Her name would subsequently be listed on concert programs and published compositions as "Mrs. H. H. A. Beach." The marriage was conditioned upon her willingness "to live according to his status, that is, function as a society matron and patron of the arts. She agreed never to teach piano, an activity widely associated with women" and regarded as providing "pin money." She further agreed to limit performances to two public recitals per year, with profits donated to charity, and to devote herself more to composition than to performance (although, as she wrote, "I thought I was a pianist first and foremost.") Her self-guided education in composition was also necessitated by Dr. Beach, who disapproved of his wife studying with a tutor.
Posted By: Qwerty53

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/06/19 06:33 PM

Does anyone else have trouble printing sheet music from the digital edition of Pianist magazine? I have a number of back issues in my digital library, but it's a hassle every time I want to print. Doesn't seem to matter whether I am using the Pocketmags app on my ipad, or online access via laptop browser. I can't get the whole page to show up. Maybe because it thinks everything is A4 rather than U.S. 8.5x11"? I don't want to put the iPad on my music desk; I like paper!

My work-around is to take a screenshot and chop off the edges, convert JPG to PDF, but this is tedious! Any other suggestions?

My local Barnes and Noble has the current issue only intermittently, so I took advantage of Squidbot's link and ordered a subscription to the paper copy (thanks neighbor!). Waiting for the first issue to arrive... but that doesn't help with printing from back issues. Help?!?

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/06/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Does anyone else have trouble printing sheet music from the digital edition of Pianist magazine? I have a number of back issues in my digital library, but it's a hassle every time I want to print. Doesn't seem to matter whether I am using the Pocketmags app on my ipad, or online access via laptop browser. I can't get the whole page to show up. Maybe because it thinks everything is A4 rather than U.S. 8.5x11"? I don't want to put the iPad on my music desk; I like paper!

My work-around is to take a screenshot and chop off the edges, convert JPG to PDF, but this is tedious! Any other suggestions?

My local Barnes and Noble has the current issue only intermittently, so I took advantage of Squidbot's link and ordered a subscription to the paper copy (thanks neighbor!). Waiting for the first issue to arrive... but that doesn't help with printing from back issues. Help?!?

Something has changed recently. I sent them an email and facebook message saying it isn't working correctly a couple weeks ago. They said they were going fix it, I guess they haven't. It also has the limitation of only printing 2 pages at a time, and I don't recall it being limited to that before.

I use Chrome to print to PDF, and fiddle with the paper size and margin options so that it fits correctly.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/06/19 09:45 PM

Chrome! That's the ticket. I was using the Edge browser, and the options for controlling the print output were not as helpful. Thank you bSharp(C)yclist!

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/06/19 11:30 PM

I'm still waiting for my first print issue too - its been a month, which is a lifetime in the digital age...

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/07/19 04:02 PM

I'm still waiting for my first print issue too - its been a month, which is a lifetime in the digital age...
Sam

Checking the mailbox every day with hope! It is usually so full of wasted paper these days; it will be a treat when the mailbox holds music!

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/07/19 04:55 PM

Sam

Checking the mailbox every day with hope! It is usually so full of wasted paper these days; it will be a treat when the mailbox holds music!

When I was a little kid, I'd be so thrilled to receive something in the mail. Today, of course, it's mostly junk.

The arrival of the latest issue of Pianist every two months is the only mail event that now sparks joy for me.
Posted By: Moo :)

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/07/19 05:07 PM

The magazine was entertaining and is worth the price. Unfortunately my CD that came with is currently unplayed and gathering dust. I was not able to find some pieces from the book on youtube so this is an issue if you have no CD player. My favourite part of the magazine was the tortoise. I was always talking about piano learning being slow like a tortoise and there was a very big article about it - with a very big Mr (or is it a Ms?) tortorise on the side! I found it very funny :0.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/07/19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Moo :)
The magazine was entertaining and is worth the price. Unfortunately my CD that came with is currently unplayed and gathering dust. I was not able to find some pieces from the book on youtube so this is an issue if you have no CD player. My favourite part of the magazine was the tortoise. I was always talking about piano learning being slow like a tortoise and there was a very big article about it - with a very big Mr (or is it a Ms?) tortorise on the side! I found it very funny :0.

Why don't you just buy an inexpensive CD player?

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/07/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by Moo :)

Why don't you just buy an inexpensive CD player?

Because I think Moo thinks it will put him back into the Stone Age. wink grin

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/07/19 11:54 PM

Sam

When I was a little kid, I'd be so thrilled to receive something in the mail. Today, of course, it's mostly junk.

The arrival of the latest issue of Pianist every two months is the only mail event that now sparks joy for me.

I use Informed Delivery now from the post office and get emails with pictures of my postal mail before it arrives. If there is something good, I'll got to the box. It's kind of nice. I only go to the mailbox once every week or two laugh
Posted By: Terry Michael

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/08/19 02:21 AM

Love the magazine. I went digital but will most likely go hard copy so others at the studio have access. Interesting article on refurbished Steinways to say the least!
Posted By: scorpio

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/12/19 06:01 PM

The magazine also uploads videos on YT that go along with current editions. Here are two recent ones:

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/12/19 07:01 PM

Has anyone who ordered through Express Mag gotten their Feb/Mar issue? I still haven't and I got the Dec/Jan almost right away after ordering in November.

Also, I haven't gotten the "GREAT PIANO COMPOSERS OF THE CLASSICAL ERA" book that I ordered.

Just wondering if I should complain yet or not.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/12/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by scorpio
The magazine also uploads videos on YT that go along with current editions. Here are two recent ones:

I liked the video with Chenyin Li smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8q6ARdeXow
Posted By: AssociateX

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/12/19 08:43 PM

Has anyone who ordered through Express Mag gotten their Feb/Mar issue? I still haven't and I got the Dec/Jan almost right away after ordering in November.

Also, I haven't gotten the "GREAT PIANO COMPOSERS OF THE CLASSICAL ERA" book that I ordered.

I also subscribed to this magazine as a result of this thread - probably in January or so. I have yet to receive any issues. frown

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/12/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by AssociateX

I also subscribed to this magazine as a result of this thread - probably in January or so. I have yet to receive any issues. frown

No joy in Mudville yet either - but I have not yet lost hope...

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/13/19 12:13 AM

OK, I think I'm going to complain, there's only a 60 day window from when it shows up on stands: "You can, any time, contact us to demand a missing issue. We shall do everything we can to offer you a quality service. Please, however note that the complaints for a missing issue must be made to us within the next 60 days of the date the magazine is released on newsstands. Express Mag will handle your complaint within the limits of available stocks."

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/13/19 02:34 AM

I ordered from Express Mag on January 28; the confirming email says “subscriptions will begin within 4-6 weeks” which has now gone by. Just checked my mailbox ... 🙁 ... no 🎵

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/13/19 03:15 AM

I ordered from Express Mag on January 28; the confirming email says “subscriptions will begin within 4-6 weeks” which has now gone by. Just checked my mailbox ... 🙁 ... no 🎵

I'm guessing this is the standard spiel - most magazines are published monthly. But this one is published bi-monthly. So there is no way they can guarantee a start in 4-6 weeks when the magazine is only published every 8 weeks. I think for bi-monthlies, you have to give them up to 4 more weeks and for quarterlies, up to 8 more weeks, etc.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/13/19 05:29 AM

I’d be happy if they just mailed me whatever was the last issue that came out, but maybe they don’t have any in the warehouse...

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/13/19 11:39 PM

Much to my surprise they PM'd me here on the message boards that they haven't received their issues yet and will send them asap.
Posted By: Colin Miles

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/14/19 08:15 AM

Much to my surprise they PM'd me here on the message boards that they haven't received their issues yet and will send them asap.

I had a problem with a download and contacted them about it. At the same time I alerted them to your problem.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/14/19 02:22 PM

Colin, thank you for taking the trouble to do so! I too got a message here, similar to Squidbot’s. Awaiting no. 106....

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/14/19 02:49 PM

Colin, thank you for taking the trouble to do so! I too got a message here, similar to Squidbot’s. Awaiting no. 106....

I appreciate such attentiveness from vendors. In fact, I appreciate it so much that though I subscribe through the Pianist Mag app, I decided it would indeed be nice to have paper copies of the scores also, so I just subscribed to a year of the paper magazine through Express Magazines, entirely because of these messages and this vendor's responsiveness. Bravo, Express Magazines!

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/14/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Colin Miles

I had a problem with a download and contacted them about it. At the same time I alerted them to your problem.

Ah that explains the mystery, thanks for pointing them here, I appreciate it!

Also, the extra book I ordered isn't published until spring, and I'll receive it then.
Posted By: Pianist magazine

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/29/19 02:05 PM

Hi all, hope you are enjoying the magazine! Our brand new issue is out today, in which both Lang Lang and Yevgeny Sudbin talk to us. We again have our ever-popular 40+ pages of sheet music, plenty of masterclasses, technique articles and covermount CD. You can pick up your copy here - http://bit.ly/pianist107

We'd absolutely love to know your thoughts on the new issue.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/29/19 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pianist magazine
Hi all, hope you are enjoying the magazine! Our brand new issue is out today, in which both Lang Lang and Yevgeny Sudbin talk to us. We again have our ever-popular 40+ pages of sheet music, plenty of masterclasses, technique articles and covermount CD. You can pick up your copy here - http://bit.ly/pianist107

Yeah, I got the notification in the app. Thanks and welcome to PW! Great magazine!

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/29/19 05:33 PM

Found the new issue in my mailbox yesterday and already enjoyed the interview with Lang Lang. I usually skip over the interview pages to the lessons and scores, but this time was different. smile

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/29/19 08:29 PM

I'm still waiting for my Feb/Mar issue frown Thinking ExpressMag is not so express...

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/29/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chrispy

I'm still waiting for my Feb/Mar issue frown Thinking ExpressMag is not so express...

Still waiting for my first issue too. It's been two months since I subscribed. Not the fault of Pianist magazine, of course, but ExpressMag.

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/30/19 12:42 AM

Hi Painist Magazine..soo cool you joined us on this forum page. Yup. Been reading it and book marking pieces with my teacher. Just did recital of Reicha [105] and teacher gave me a thumbs up. Working on Scriabin prelude op 2 no 2 now! I noticed extra three scores were tagged at the end of the Advance piece - happy to have more choices.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/30/19 12:43 AM

Sam - you ordered the paper version? It will take a bit to kick in with the distributor...I have the digital App version. Pocketmags are very responsive if you haven’t contacted them. Enjoy when you receive it!
Posted By: Cheshire Chris

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/31/19 09:57 AM

I've just subscribed on seeing this thread - what a great magazine! Very easy to read on my iPad and the music prints beautifully from the web browser on my laptop.

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/31/19 03:11 PM

Same here: waiting on my paper copy (hurry up, please, ExpressMag fulfillment!) since I subscribed at the end of January....

Still waiting for my first issue too. It's been two months since I subscribed. Not the fault of Pianist magazine, of course, but ExpressMag.
Sam
Posted By: PianogrlNW

Re: Pianist magazine - 03/31/19 03:33 PM

I usually receive my copy of Pianist between the 4th and 8th of the month here in the PNW, although one time it was late but they mailed me a replacement copy right away. So you should receive it soon.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/01/19 12:33 AM

Thanks, PianogrlNW; that’s encouraging!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/04/19 02:23 PM

Thank you for your welcome smile

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/08/19 09:23 AM

This is great to hear! We really hope you are enjoying it.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/08/19 09:28 AM

Hi everyone! Fancy 30% off a Pianist digital subscription? Our treat. Enjoy. https://pocketmags.com/pianist-magazine
Posted By: pathguy

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/08/19 05:25 PM

Hi everyone! Fancy 30% off a Pianist digital subscription? Our treat. Enjoy. https://pocketmags.com/pianist-magazine

Thanks so much--just ordered!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/12/19 06:45 PM

It would be nice if I could find the print magazine in the airport here smile

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/15/19 06:07 PM

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/blogs/7-steps-to-beating-the-drudgery-of-practising/

Nice blog from pianist magazine...I definitely start on challenging measures first, and with help of my teacher, problem areas are broken down where I am looping/repeating them many times until they feel natural. Dreaded metronome comes next with slowest bpm. Try something different if what you are doing isn’t working for you!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/17/19 02:01 PM

Subscribed to the print version at the end of January. Still waiting … but I have just received an encouraging email from ExpressMag: "You will receive #106 with the # 107 in the next days. Edition No. 106 arrived (exceptionally) very late at the same time as No. 107. They were sent to you on April 5th.They should reach you shortly." Yay! Although I also have a digital subscription, I really prefer print for reading music. And the less time I spend staring at a screen, the better!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/17/19 04:17 PM

That’s good news. I have a digital subscription and feel it is an excellent magazine. I’ve been debating whether or not I should get a subscription to the physical magazine as well.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/17/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by John305
That’s good news. I have a digital subscription and feel it is an excellent magazine. I’ve been debating whether or not I should get a subscription to the physical magazine as well.

I did get both as well. I haven't been able to compare though as I am also waiting for my physical magazine from Express.
Posted By: Ojustaboo

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/17/19 09:34 PM

Hi all. Thinking of taking advantage of the special offer for the digital version.

While been playing synth for decades, never really learnt to play piano properly at all, and am going back to the beginning with Faber.

I had a look at the sample mag and a lot of it was too advanced for me.

I had a look at some of their youtube vids and they were excellent for me.

Three questions really.

1) Is there more for beginners in the actual magazine than I can find on their youtube channel (will still sub as I can go back when I get more advanced)

2) I have an ipad that I use at my piano, and a large monitor I use for my PC and synths (which includes an 88 note midi keyboard). Ideally I would like to access them via both ipad app and PC with one sub, is this possible please? If it's not, can I buy for PC and read on ipad via web page?

3) My ipads too small to read music from (or to be precise, my eyes are too bad) , I want the digital version as you get more with it. I read a post earlier in this thread dated March where someone was having problems printing out the sheet music. Has this been sorted?

Many many thanks

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/17/19 11:54 PM

Ojustaboo
I started the subscription way before I could play. And now I select intermediate pieces for my lessons.
1. There are at least 2 beginner pieces, sometimes more.
2. Check their website. www.pianomagazine.com.
3. The printing is glitchy in the past. I use digital platform with forScore and it is worth upgrading to the large pro. I have all my music and magazines in one place.

It is a great magazine for reading all the wonderful material. I have seen new artists and they are now my favorite pianists.
Posted By: MacMacMac

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 12:08 AM

It's a great mag. But I got the online subscription. frown
The user interface is abysmal. Darn near unusable, even on this 27" monitor.
Memo: Get the print version.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 12:56 AM

Printing is still an issue. I use Chrome and save to PDF, then merge and/or reorder pages if need be later.

The complete list of scores index can be found here, if you want to see what pieces have been featured.

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/news/pianists-complete-list-of-scores/
Posted By: One Ohm

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 01:52 AM

iPad subscription works great!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ojustaboo

Three questions really.

1) Is there more for beginners in the actual magazine than I can find on their youtube channel (will still sub as I can go back when I get more advanced)

2) I have an ipad that I use at my piano, and a large monitor I use for my PC and synths (which includes an 88 note midi keyboard). Ideally I would like to access them via both ipad app and PC with one sub, is this possible please? If it's not, can I buy for PC and read on ipad via web page?

3) My ipads too small to read music from (or to be precise, my eyes are too bad) , I want the digital version as you get more with it. I read a post earlier in this thread dated March where someone was having problems printing out the sheet music. Has this been sorted?

Many many thanks

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, there’s a lot more in the magazine.

2. You can buy a subscription via the iPad app and then read the magazine both on the iPad and on your PC’s web browser. It’s the same login for both devices.

3. Printing music from the web browser works absolutely fine for me. I’m using Firefox on Windows 10. The printed music looks very good indeed.

Hope that’s of some help to you.
Posted By: Ojustaboo

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 08:46 AM

Many thanks all, have just purchased it.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 09:08 AM

Printing is still an issue. I use Chrome and save to PDF, then merge and/or reorder pages if need be later.

Have you tried using a different browser? Printing works absolutely fine for me with Firefox.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris

Have you tried using a different browser? Printing works absolutely fine for me with Firefox.

Firefox shows the same behavior. Can you print more than 2 pages at a time? I prefer Chrome's Save to PDF option, as I can remove the headers/footers/margins. Firefox doesn't seem to have the same PDF preview option.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 02:04 PM

I finally called expressmag today to complain about not getting any print issues. I subscribed back in January. Same story, magazines were late, should get it in the next few days...

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/18/19 03:14 PM

I finally called expressmag today to complain about not getting any print issues. I subscribed back in January. Same story, magazines were late, should get it in the next few days...

Sam

I keep hearing that from them... we'll see. I'm pretty close to asking for my money back.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/19/19 03:49 AM

My print issue finally arrivedin the mail yesterday!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/19/19 12:03 PM

My print issue finally arrivedin the mail yesterday!

I have hope - if only the mail can make it to rural Georgia, USA.

Had some friends come out to visit me from Atlanta recently. they started out on multi-lane interstate highways, then a 4 lane parkway, the two lane pavement, then a single lane gravel road. Their city car couldn't handle the last 1/2 mile, so they parked and walked. Only to find a note on my door - "Sorry we missed you, gone camping for the weekend to get away from it all!"

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/21/19 09:45 AM

FInally got my print version, so expressmag delivered. Issue 107. What I discovered? Reinecke arranged Corelli for piano - there is a Sarabande in the sheet music section. A search at imslp revealed the entire Corelli/Reinecke album of 24 pieces.

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/22/19 04:21 PM

Having been a subscriber ever since I started playing, I find that the scores in some issues don't do much for me, while other issues are chock-full of pieces that I really want to play (many of which I have played). So far issue 107 hasn't caught my fancy, but issue 103 was solid gold.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/24/19 12:05 AM

No. 107 has finally arrived in today's mail, here in the Pacific Northwest! Yay! No sign yet of No. 106, the issue promised when I subscribed via ExpressMag waaay back in January, but I'm happy to hold the magazine in my hands. I hope I am the last one and everybody else has received their issues.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/24/19 12:28 AM

No. 107 has finally arrived in today's mail, here in the Pacific Northwest! Yay! No sign yet of No. 106, the issue promised when I subscribed via ExpressMag waaay back in January, but I'm happy to hold the magazine in my hands. I hope I am the last one and everybody else has received their issues.

I guess it was time for the PNW to get theirs, mine arrived today as well!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/24/19 12:39 AM

Not only PNW. I got my issue in Washington DC today also from Express Mag.
Posted By: Arcflash

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/25/19 12:40 AM

I had almost abandoned all hope of getting the magazine but saw it had made it to the PNW and lo and behold it was sitting in my mailbox when I got home. Just issue 107. Express mags had said the two issues were mailed seperately so hoping 106 arrives soon. First time subscribing-looks like a great mag.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/25/19 01:21 AM

So happy for the new PNW subscribers. Happy reading and playing.
I always try to use the beginner pieces as sight reading, and chose one intermediate as part of my 1 of 2 pieces, the advance piece I just use it to listen and follow the score!

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/26/19 01:17 AM

No. 107 has finally arrived in today's mail, here in the Pacific Northwest!

Not only PNW. I got my issue in Washington DC today also from Express Mag.

Perhaps it was alphabetical: the Washingtons came near the end of the queue.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/26/19 01:49 AM

Another update: Issue 106 arrived in my mailbox today...I am enjoying this magazine, wish I had known of it years ago.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/26/19 09:42 AM

Hi all,

It's great to read all of your comments. If you have any questions, respond directly to this post and we will help you out!

www.pianistmagazine.com

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/27/19 04:49 PM

No. 106 arrived too, and now Satie’s “Le Piccadilly” is on my Saturday morning soundtrack! Ah.....

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/27/19 11:03 PM

Another update: Issue 106 arrived in my mailbox today...I am enjoying this magazine, wish I had known of it years ago.

😬 so happy to hear this..it was my feeling when I first found the magazine. I still get excited when a new edition is out. So great to see new readers, I am glad I shared.

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/27/19 11:44 PM

Yes, I got 106 too, after I got 107. Expressmag seems to be working now...

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine - 04/29/19 02:50 PM

Yes, I got 106 too, after I got 107. Expressmag seems to be working now...

I got 106, in addition to 107, even though I ordered the magazine from ExpressMag only 6 weeks ago.
Posted By: WeakLeftHand

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/18/19 04:57 AM

I ordered the app version from pocketmags and have printed out several of the beginner level pieces to learn. I love how it is interactive with included audio that you can just press and play. I determine which pieces I’d like to learn after listening to the recordings which I find very helpful and enjoyable, although I found an inconsistency with one piece compared with the recording. It wasn’t a big deal though. I also like how they tell you what to watch out for and give you tips on how to play certain parts. And they give a little background on the composer and the song. Only gripe is that they’re not a monthly!

The magazine gets me to play songs I wouldn’t have chosen for myself and therefore broadens my repertoire, which is great. All in all, a great publication and well worth the money, especially when they have sales, it’s a no brainer. Thumbs up and highly recommend.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/18/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Only gripe is that they’re not a monthly.

🤣 I have 2 wishes: monthly and pre 55 issues are digitized- I love many of the modern pieces.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/18/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Only gripe is that they’re not a monthly.

🤣 I have 2 wishes: monthly and pre 55 issues are digitized- I love many of the modern pieces.

Ok, if we’re talking about wishes, then I have another one. I’d like them to publish a “Play Beginner” special edition, in the tradition of their “Play Intermediate” special edition. grin

...because I can’t handle the intermediate pieces yet lol.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/18/19 10:24 PM

Pianist magazine recently joined this thread, so I hope they will make your second wish come true soon.

Won’t be long before you can tackle the intermediate. Some of the intermediates aren’t too hard.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/29/19 10:34 AM

Lucky for you, there MAY be a Play Beginner in the pipeline...

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/29/19 10:55 AM

Our next issue is now available to pre-order! It includes an interview with the legendary Menahem Pressler -> http://bit.ly/Pianist108
Posted By: PianoCats

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 02:37 PM

I purchased Pianist Magazine through Pocketmags when they had a sale back in March. Found the info here ( unfortunately can’t remember who posted it) but thank you! It was an early birthday gift and I’m really enjoying the magazine but usually read it on my iPad and can’t get any of the recordings to work. Those that connect to YouTube will run, but I can’t hear the audio. The others look like they’re running, but again, I can’t hear any audio. The volume is turned on with my iPad and turned up loudly enough to hear. I can hear other recordings from other websites like YouTube or Netflix, Amazon movies/tv etc. Any ideas or tips/tricks so I can hear the audio versions of the scores? I can hear the Pianist scores on my computer, but use my iPad more than computer so would like to figure out what I’m doing wrong and fix it for iPad.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Kathy

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PianoCats
I purchased Pianist Magazine through Pocketmags when they had a sale back in March. Found the info here ( unfortunately can’t remember who posted it) but thank you! It was an early birthday gift and I’m really enjoying the magazine but usually read it on my iPad and can’t get any of the recordings to work. Those that connect to YouTube will run, but I can’t hear the audio. The others look like they’re running, but again, I can’t hear any audio. The volume is turned on with my iPad and turned up loudly enough to hear. I can hear other recordings from other websites like YouTube or Netflix, Amazon movies/tv etc. Any ideas or tips/tricks so I can hear the audio versions of the scores? I can hear the Pianist scores on my computer, but use my iPad more than computer so would like to figure out what I’m doing wrong and fix it for iPad.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Kathy

That's odd, Kathy. Are you accessing the digital subscription using the "PocketMags Digital Newstand" app or the separate, dedicated "Pianist Magazine" app?

I just tried the Pianist Magazine app with the issue #108 June-July 2019 on my iPad Pro. I'm on Pachelbel Fugue in C, P.144, I hit the "Play Track" in the upper left of the page, and out comes the audio of a piano playing the score. This isn't working for you? If you're in the PocketMags Digital Newstand app, can you download the separate Pianist Magazine app and try with that instead? See if Pachelbel Fugue in C, P.144 makes any sound for you in the Pianist Magazine app.

If you already are using the Pianist Magazine app, there there must be some sort of configuration problem either in your iPad's IOS settings or in the Pianist Magazine app itself. (I'm assuming it isn't iPad hardware issues - that you've tried iTunes or some other music on your iPad and that does work for you.) I'm less familiar with how to solve problems with IOS, but one thing quick to try is to delete the Pianist Magazine app entirely and then re-download and re-install it from the App Store.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 03:51 PM

I agree with Tyrone. Try the Pianist App. I have no issues using the Pianist App. I found the pocketmags app didn't work as well for me. If that's not the issue, then sorry, I have no idea.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 10:29 PM

I spoke too soon. *Sigh*

In issue #107, in the Pianist App, I would be on the page of a certain song, and when I press play, it would play that particular song.

In issue #108, I would be on the page of a certain song (first beginner song), and when I press play, it would play a completely different song! I could fix it by opening the dialogue box (top right corner) and searching through the list of songs in the issue, and finding the song I had intended to play, but that’s just a little annoying.

Then on the page of the second beginner song, when I press play, nothing happens. Didn’t bother checking the remaining songs.

Is something wrong with issue #108 or the Pianist App? Maybe I should re-install.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 10:38 PM

Yes, something is wrong with this issue, I’m having the same problem.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 10:44 PM

You're right, WeakLeftHand. And I was wrong about Pachelbel. All of the pieces I tried in #108 (up through the Schumann flower to me piece), have either played the wrong music, or are linked to something other than music. Pachelbel plays music, but not the right music.

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 10:47 PM

Thanks for confirming, John and Tyrone. I wonder how to get in touch with Pianist Magazine to let them know?

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 10:50 PM

Thanks for confirming, John and Tyrone. I wonder how to get in touch with Pianist Magazine to let them know?

This page has their contact info (click the appropriate "contact us" link). Are you going to jot them a quick note?

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 10:57 PM

This page has their contact info (click the appropriate "contact us" link). Are you going to jot them a quick note?

I could, but if you would like to, I will defer to you, as you are more technologically advanced than I am lol!

Re: Pianist magazine - 05/31/19 11:35 PM

Yup, I noticed 108 is creating a glitch. I can play the score when I hit the top right music note icon, drop down list , and then hit the piece. Weird glitch. Never seen this one before and I have been a long time digital subscriber.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 02:21 AM

Thanks guys! My issue seems to be different as I can’t get any music to play, wrong song or otherwise. It was also doing this with the previous issue. I was using the Pocketmags app so have added the Pianist app and am updating the iOS on my iPad. I’ll keep you posted!

Thanks again for your help, Kathy

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 02:40 AM

I could, but if you would like to, I will defer to you, as you are more technologically advanced than I am lol!

OK. I submitted bug reports both to the Web Help contact and the Online Editor.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 02:41 AM

Thanks guys! My issue seems to be different as I can’t get any music to play, wrong song or otherwise. It was also doing this with the previous issue. I was using the Pocketmags app so have added the Pianist app and am updating the iOS on my iPad. I’ll keep you posted!

Thanks again for your help, Kathy

You can test it with Issues #106 and #107 in the Pianist Magazine app and it should work for you. It works for me. As you see above, Issue #108 is broken though.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 02:45 AM

Thanks Tyrone!

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 03:31 AM

Thanks Tyrone! I have tested it with issue #107 in Pianist app and still no sound. Getting ready to restart my iPad. Not sure why it doesn’t work since others like you are using iPads with no problems.

Thanks, Kathy

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 03:52 AM

Unfortunately turning iPad off didn’t turn the sound on. Past my bedtime so will try more tomorrow. At least I can read the articles and print out the scores to play! Thanks again to those trying to help.

Kathy

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 03:49 PM

So, we installed the Pianist app on my husband’s iPad and it plays the scores without any problems. Mine, still no sound. We’re going to try comparing how his is set up and mimicking the set up with mine. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to take it to a Mac store to see if they can figure it out.

I bought my iPad in August of 2014 so it’s not quite 5 years old, but wondering if it’s too old to handle the Pianist score playing technology. I guess worst case, I spring for a new iPad, but in the meantime will probably borrow my husband’s iPad or listen on my computer. We’re closing on a house Monday and moving this summer so now not the best time to buy a new iPad, especially since I was considering going with the iPad Pro when this one finally conks out.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions!

Kathy

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 04:00 PM

So, we installed the Pianist app on my husband’s iPad and it plays the scores without any problems. Mine, still no sound. We’re going to try comparing how his is set up and mimicking the set up with mine. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to take it to a Mac store to see if they can figure it out.

Before you take it to the Mac store, you might back up your iPad to the iCloud, and then restore it to factory settings, and restore the iPad from iCloud. In fact, if I were you, after restoring factory settings but before restoring from iCloud, I would try to install only the Pianist Magazine app and see if it works properly on your iPad with factory settings.

I bought my iPad in August of 2014 so it’s not quite 5 years old, but wondering if it’s too old to handle the Pianist score playing technology. I guess worst case, I spring for a new iPad, but in the meantime will probably borrow my husband’s iPad or listen on my computer. We’re closing on a house Monday and moving this summer so now not the best time to buy a new iPad, especially since I was considering going with the iPad Pro when this one finally conks out.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions!

Kathy

Before I upgraded myself to an iPad Pro a week ago, my last iPad was over 5 years old, already was not getting new iOS updates (Apple stops updating iOS on older iPads/iPhones after a few years), but the Pianist Magazine app was working fine. As I said, as long as you are able to play music out of your iPad, I really think this app should work if you restore it to factory settings.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 05:41 PM

Thanks Tyrone! I’m going to a local symphony concert this evening, but will definitely try your suggestions this weekend. My iPad is still getting new iOS updates and plays music just fine from other sources, so agree with you that it should work.

OT: How are you liking the iPad Pro? Did you get it for the ability to handle music scores? Even if for another reason, have you tried it with music scores? And if so, how do you like it?

Thanks, Kathy

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/01/19 05:58 PM

Thanks Tyrone! I’m going to a local symphony concert this evening, but will definitely try your suggestions this weekend. My iPad is still getting new iOS updates and plays music just fine from other sources, so agree with you that it should work.

Enjoy your concert.

Yours is definitely not as old as my previous one then, so as long as there isn't a hardware issue with the audio, it should work. Especially when restored to a pristine, factory settings-only, state.

OT: How are you liking the iPad Pro? Did you get it for the ability to handle music scores? Even if for another reason, have you tried it with music scores? And if so, how do you like it?

Thanks, Kathy

I was seriously considering getting a GVIDO for scores. However, I needed a replacement for my iPad anyways - not only was my old one no longer getting IOS updates and apps were no longer functioning that needed newer releases of IOS, but it also has a cracked screen that small pieces of glass fall out of occasionally. shocked So, as mentioned in the link above, I'm in a period of testing to see if the iPad Pro will be suitable for scores using forScore, and if so, I will get a second one, have a pair of 3-D hinges printed, and have made my own highly functional GVIDO grin If not, then I will use this iPad Pro for my day-to-day and buy a GVIDO anyways. But maybe not right away. I have a big screen monitor above my piano and have been reading scores off my monitor.

I have tried forScore. It's a bit clunky and I am only figuring it out now. In particular, I haven't yet gotten the method of transferring scores to it working, so for my testing, I spent another $10 or so and bought all of the scores the forScore company offered as an "add-on" for the app.

With these, I then tested playing from those scores, using the forScore app. So far, it's worked well. However, I don't have a pedal for page turning. I need to research a bit to see which pedal is one that I can rest my foot on it and doesn't turn the page unless I stomp. Many pedals are not that way and are too sensitive. A pedal that was too sensitive would not work for me. It's also possible I might be able to program one of the other two pedals on my N1X for page turning. Will be investigating this before I buy a page-turning pedal.
Posted By: Meaghanw

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/02/19 02:16 PM

No need to print 3-D hinges. ForScores’ Cue app connects 2 iPads nicely. Worth checking out.
Posted By: akc42

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/02/19 04:46 PM

I've just bought myself an iPad pro - mainly for my business, but it has the benefit that it also works with forScore (and I bought some blue tooth play turner pedals also https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XPV2GYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) I also spent some time figuring out how to best use Piano Marvel with it and ended up buying two crucial accessories.

1. A Usb Hub https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GPC9HMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This lets me charge the iPad at the same time providing usb A socket for Usb cable from piano and a usb A socket for ...

2. A usb to headphone (and as it happens microphone) sockets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016CU2PEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which connects the output from piano marvel back into my Piano's Line in.

Regarding forScore.

I still prefer paper, but it will be a lot easier when I go visit my daughter to have all my scores with me in one package. The size of the screen is good and I can definitely see and play from it easily, and with the page turner near my left foot its a doddle to change page. I tend to memorise pieces, so I normally only need the music occasionally, only for pieces that are starting to slip through my fingers.

I also added the Mutopia music add ons. So far I started to use it for Chopin Nocturne Op9 No2, only to find a weird natural sign were I didn't expect it - it appeared to be a D natural. I checked the Mutopia web site and on there it showed it as an E natural (in a chord containing both). E natural was correct and was only a repetition of a natural already designated in the measure - so wasn't actually in the paper score (ABRSM Signature Series) that I was using. I raised a support request with forScore and got a sloping shoulder response that the PDF framework they were using wasn't too accurate and a work around was to use my notation pen to put a white blob over it.

One thing I discovered though is there is a free FTP Manager app which allows me to connect ssh into my desktop (linux) and I can suck PDFs from there and load them into forScore. I create much of my music in Musescore anyway to load into Piano Marvel, so its a dead easy to make a PDF from it, which I can load in. Did that with Bach's Adagio BWV 974 for instance.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/02/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meaghanw
No need to print 3-D hinges. ForScores’ Cue app connects 2 iPads nicely. Worth checking out.

Oh yes, I'm about to try out the Cue app to connect my new iPad Pro with my old iPad and see if that works. If it works, then I will get another iPad.

The 3-D hinge is a physical form factor thing. Like the GVIDO, I'd like the two pages to be physically connected to each other for convenience - like a book! So the 3-D hinge is not a Cue replacement - it is only a physical embodiment tweak.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/02/19 05:08 PM

I got this message back from the online editor yesterday about issue #108:
Thank you for making us aware of this! I have passed your information on to our tech team who will look into fixing it as soon as they can.

Thanks,

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/02/19 06:11 PM

FWIW, I downloaded issue 108 on the Pianist Magazine app on my iPad Pro last night and it played the recordings without difficulty.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/02/19 06:29 PM

FWIW, I downloaded issue 108 on the Pianist Magazine app on my iPad Pro last night and it played the recordings without difficulty.

Can you try the Turk Allegramente in B flat and press the play and see what happens for you?

I re-downloaded the issue this morning on the Pianist Magazine app and it is still broken.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/03/19 02:16 AM

Can you try the Turk Allegramente in B flat and press the play and see what happens for you?

I re-downloaded the issue this morning on the Pianist Magazine app and it is still broken.

Nothing happens when I click on the "Play Track" arrow in the upper left hand corner of the page, but the tune plays perfectly when selected from the pulldown menu of recorded music produced by clicking on the eighth note symbol when in the "browsing" mode (small versions of four or so pages shown at the bottom of the page that allow you to swipe back and forth through the issue).

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/03/19 03:17 AM

Nothing happens when I click on the "Play Track" arrow in the upper left hand corner of the page, but the tune plays perfectly when selected from the pulldown menu of recorded music produced by clicking on the eighth note symbol when in the "browsing" mode (small versions of four or so pages shown at the bottom of the page that allow you to swipe back and forth through the issue).

OK. So it is working for you because you are using the alternate way of playing the tracks. But it does seem like the normal way of clicking on the "Play Track" button in the upper left is indeed also broken for you.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/03/19 10:20 AM

Hi all,

We're so sorry that you are having problems with issue 108. This shouldn't be happening! Rest assured, we are in contact with both the design team and the PocketMags team right now. The bug should be fixed very shortly.

Once again, big apologies for any inconvenience caused. We hope you are enjoying the rest of the magazine smile

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/03/19 10:36 AM

The issue has now been solved! Please delete and redownload your issue to get it working again.

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/03/19 10:55 AM

The issue has now been solved! Please delete and redownload your issue to get it working again.

I re-downloaded and it appears to work now. Thanks for the quick response! thumb

Re: Pianist magazine - 06/03/19 04:44 PM

OK. So it is working for you because you are using the alternate way of playing the tracks. But it does seem like the normal way of clicking on the "Play Track" button in the upper left is indeed also broken for you.

I actually prefer that method of accessing the recordings, so to me it's not an "alternate way." But that's what I got last night.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums