Piano World Home Page

Your new musical goals for 2019

Posted By: Johan B

Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/01/19 05:50 PM

Hi pianoworld-members,

Just like last year, you can post here your musically goals for 2019 🎶🎹🎶 🎹

December 26 th, 2019 🌲🌲 I will remember you. grin grin

We all are curious and looking forward what you want to play in 2019, will you reach a new grade?.....play more instruments......or.......purchase a new piano or grand?.........sparkle at a recital? Please tell us.....

My goals: do more organ performances and improve my pianotechnic........and maybe more

Best regards,
Johan B

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/01/19 09:14 PM

Hi there,

What will you do in your new piano-year? We're curious.... grin

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: elenmirie

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/01/19 09:56 PM

Thanks Johan B!

Somebody has to be first. Okay, here goes.

1. Learn a set of repertoire sufficient to do the RCM Level 4 exam (but not actually take the exam).
Selected pieces: JS Bach Minuet in Dm, Clementi Op 36 No 2, Tchaikovsky Old French Song, Schumann The Wild Horseman, Kabalevsky Op 39 No 17 Folk Dance

2. Continue to fill out my technique goal sheet, choosing a "key of the week" and working through various exercises in that key. (Deliberately left vague as to how much of it will get filled in; last year I set the goal of completing it and that was over-ambitious. As long as I keep working on it through the year, this goal is met.)

3. Do the 40 pieces a year challenge, but set my personal goal at 20 pieces, and try to beat that. (Last year I only got to 19).

4. Do something (probably take a course) to improve my music theory knowledge.

5. Do MYOD - play for at least a few minutes every day, unless I'm away from piano or sick.

6. Keep some of the pieces I learned last year alive in active repertoire. That means at the end of the year I will be able to play them without relearning.
Selected pieces: Clementi Op 36 No 1, Tierney Comptine, Donkin Witches and Wizards, Tchaikovsky Morning Prayer

7. Participate in at least one Piano World recital.

8. Keep a practice journal. Last year I stopped in August, can't really remember why. So keep going this year.
Posted By: earlofmar

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/01/19 10:40 PM

my goals this year will be dominated by my continued preparation for an exam. But there are a few things that I have become aware of during the last year in my practice that need attention.

1. Prepare for, and sit AMEB grade 6

2. Make practice sessions detail specific, (keep a log) and stop just playing through hoping to improve.

3. Practice new pieces every day, and practice the piece entirely, not just one trouble spot

4. Learn to allocate the required time to a new piece, and not just the minimum time

5. Continue a regime of regular rhythm training

6. Maintain the pieces learned for grade 6 so they become part of a permanent repertoire
Posted By: bSharp(C)yclist

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/01/19 11:22 PM

1. Play in at least 3 live recitals.

2. Take RCM 6 exam in May/June.

3. Learn some pop songs.

4. Continue reading new stuff on a regular basis.
Posted By: cmb13

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 12:04 AM

Hmmm.....

- Finish minor scales (not fair, I only have 2 left) and develop a routine of 1-2 keys / day of major scales, minor scales, cadences, broken chords and arpeggios
- Continue to develop repertoire, now focusing on having several pieces memorized
- Learn some Etudes
- Get back to some lead sheet work
- Play some live recitals or at least for other people (good one, B#)
- Do all of above without driving my family insane and without getting divorced !
- Try not to buy another piano (came dangerously close...looked at a Golden Age Steinway A this week)
Posted By: Progman

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 02:19 AM

1) play something so beautiful it brings a tear to my Mom's eye
2) Become a really great piano practicer
3) Begin to learn how to play my mid-60's 4-piece Drums!
Posted By: malkin

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 03:33 AM

Practice what and how my teacher tells me to.
Take better notes on my teachers instructions because my memory may be the weakest link, but I need to keep it around as long as I can.
Posted By: Finfan

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 06:02 AM

Mine is simple. I want to finish Alfred's Adult All-in-one Book 2. I say this as I am about to finish Book 1. I think by the end of Book 2 I might be ready to try playing my genre of choice.
Posted By: Sibylle

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 07:03 AM

I posted them in the other thread, but it bears repeating, doesn't it?

My goal is to heal my hands to the point where I can practise without injuring myself, and more than 10 minutes at a time. And then I'll think of tackling goals in terms of techinque or pieces I want to learn. But the main focus has got to be getting myself into a fit state to play.

Next appointment with my physician, to be followed by MRI and more physio: Monday 7th. Bring it on, 2019 smile
Posted By: sinophilia

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 07:55 AM

My goals are quite similar to last year, with some adjustments.
No. 2 is a new goal - I keep a record of my daily practice, and I saw that I took too many days off during the year, a whopping 58 days, while I was away on holiday for only about 20 days. I think changing that will help a lot with my average practice time. Let's do this smile

1. Practice 90 minutes a day on average.
2. Keep “off days” to a minimum, ideally under 30.
3. Learn at least:
- 1 Bach Invention (probably No. 13) & 1 Sinfonia (No. 11)
- 1 Chopin Prelude (No. 15) & 1 Nocturne (probably No. 21 in C minor)
- 2 Scenes from Childhood by Schumann (I think No. 5 & 9)
- 1 movement from a Beethoven or Mozart sonata (maybe the Adagio from K. 332?)
4. Practice scales/technique/theory once a week (30 minutes).
5. Practice sight-reading/quick studies twice a week (2 x 30 minutes).
6. Recording session once a week (30 minutes - pieces in Polishing list).
7. Recital-style recording session once a month (30 minutes - repertoire).
8. Maintain a performance-ready repertoire and find chances to play in front of people.
Posted By: Keselo

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 12:28 PM

I'll try to set my goals in such a way that makes it seem like I learned from having failed nearly all of my 2018 goals. Here goes nothing...

1. Bartók Mikrokosmos: Finish book 3 and also the first ten pieces from book 4.
2. Grieg Op. 12 No. 3 and Bartók's 'An Evening in the Village'. These are stretch goals, so if I eventually manage to learn these, it will be towards the end of the year.
3. I've started sight-reading through the easiest material which I couldn't be bothered to learn back in my first year. Canons from Kunz Op. 14, perhaps some of the easier etudes available. Pretty much, don't just sight-read from exercise books, but start on sight-reading 'real' music.
4. Learn at least 200 pages of music / 120 pieces. This is more or less in line with what I've done the last two years, though the music will be more complex on average.
5. Graduate from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, starting on the Little Preludes. Perhaps, but probably not, have started on your first two-part invention.
6. Have fun.
Posted By: WiseBuff

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 12:52 PM

Piano Goals for 2019
1. Learn all 15 etudes in RCM level 7
2. Bring 2 Chopin nocturnes up to performance quality
3. Bring level 7 pieces up to performance speed
4. Memorize at least one of RCM level 7 pieces
5. Continue to practice and play everyday
6. Perform for others at least 8 times
7. Study the oral requirements for RCM level 7

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 03:44 PM

Nice goals you set....

I will remember you..... grin

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Chili_Time

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 03:49 PM

1. Finish Faber 2 and get past the halfway point in Faber 3a.
2. Complete the 40 pieces in a year challenge.
3. Complete the MYOD challenge.
4. Learn how to record from my digital to the PC.
5. Memorize at least one song by the Eagles, Billy Joel and The Beatles from my easy piano song books.
6. Have at least one family member spontaneously say “hey that sounded pretty good!”

That’s plenty to keep me busy.
Posted By: Downhill_Fast

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 06:37 PM

1. Complete the MOYD challenge for a full year (I joined later in 2018)
2. Complete Alfred's Adult All-in-One Book 1 (I just looked: 17 pieces left means more than 1 a month. This is currently beyond me, but maybe this is good motivation...)
3. Commit more time each practice session by actually making an attempt at the pieces in the Alfred's Greatest Hits collection
4. Spend more time memorizing the bass staff so I don't have to "count" my way through each piece (i.e. "Wait... ok... that's G...B...D...F... ok, it's an A! Got it!")

If I can manage to pull all that off perhaps I'll reward myself with a piano upgrade laugh
Posted By: SilentQ

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 09:15 PM

My goals are to cease progress through the system and progress within it.

I am playing RCM 5 pieces after only a year and a half of playing, give or take a month. (eg. Allegro Agitato, Sunset in Rio, and Water Flowed on Mars.)

I have been satisfied with "good enough, let's move on" because I have never felt overly challenged by the pieces through the grades. Grade 5, however, is my skill ceiling at the moment. I thought I was playing the first and last pieces "well enough" until I listened to someone who could play them exceptionally well.

I now see the lack of being "played" on my part due to my innate ability to quickly grasp concepts and develop hand-eye coordination along with pattern recognition. It really hit me when I mentioned one piece to my teacher that she thought I had finished, and apparently so did I, and then I went home and listened to the RCM recording. The recording was on a whole different level. One that I want to be at. I need to stop pushing for levels and focus on ability.

My goal, put more simply, is mastery of what I learn because in the piano world that mastery of a song can turn indifference into tears. It can turn someone barely attentive into one who wants to hear more.

Q
Posted By: TheophilusCarter

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/02/19 09:17 PM

To be able to play and sing this:

I'm THIS close, I swear ... laugh
Posted By: gingko2

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/05/19 06:44 PM

Here are my 2019 Goals.

1. Do whatever my teacher tells me--because she's been right so far.

2. Stick with MOYD.

3. Learn pieces more efficiently and play more new pieces. That's connected with #1.

4. Play something with abandon this year! I really have to push myself to play anything fast.

5. Never let a week go by without some sight-reading and ear-training. (I'll aim for twice a week. I know it won't happen every day. )

6. Play by ear every practice session. It's now part of my lessons.

7. Use metronome at least every other day.

8. Perform-play more.

9. Work on my "Maintenance List" which I created but didn't implement last year.

10. Come up with a new list of pieces I'd like to play.

11. Learn music theory beyond beginner level and apply it. For instance, recognize triads in the key I'm playing and identify by sound its I, IV, V chords.

Good luck everyone with your goals.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/06/19 09:00 AM

Great what you all want to do this year.

We'll see in december, but for all may 2019 be a happy and musical year.

Best regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Balezin Dmitry

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/06/19 11:31 AM

Well, as I am self-taught, my goals might be a little different.
1 ) Take part in all piano recitals here at WP
2) Finish learning Bohemian Rhapsody by February 14 (my birthday) and present it for February piano recital
3) Sign up for some online piano course (learn to play pop songs with chords and so on)
4) Learn at least 5 pieces. (Einaudi - Andare, "Por una Cobeza" - tango, He's a pirate....)
5) Practice at least 1 hour a day....(I have a 5 year plan...which I've been able to follow with 430 hours last year...yeah, I take notes:-)
6) Make "live shows" for my family members and let's hope one real life recital...or I could just play in park at free-piano:-)
Posted By: JimB1

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/06/19 07:23 PM

Well, just started lessons on piano so... learning to play piano smile

Seriously though, here are my musical goals for 2019 so far...
1) Learn to sight read, even if only simple things. Right now I am a poor music reader. I can read in a slow and halting kind of way and only in Treble clef since that's pretty much all that I needed for flute but can't read and play at the same time so I need to work on being able to do that. Along with it learning the Bass clef as part of the Grand Staff and to start using standard notation for guitar. Right now I use TAB for everything on guitar.

2) Basic Music theory, I need to fill in a lot of gaps. Generally self taught on music theory and I have picked up a decent amount but am missing a lot and in some cases don't fully understand what I know.

3) Learn to play piano. Yeah I started with that but in my head it's actually behind the other two, or maybe in parallel is a better way to put it.

4) Increase proficiency in playing Piano, Guitar and Flute - this is going to be the fun part. Porting the theory I learn with the piano to flute and guitar so I have understanding though all three instruments. Guitar is probably going to be the painful one because I need to break that one down the most to understand what I am doing instinctively and make it with purpose instead of instinctive. Then make it without thought again so it's still musical. Sounds like fun huh? smile

5) Maintain a normal practice schedule. Simple right?

We'll see how things are by March and revisit the list LOL
-Jim
Posted By: HollyBytheLake

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/07/19 12:32 AM

I'm an adult return-to-beginning player with only 2 paltry childhood years taking completely uninspiring lessons behind me. However, I took 6 years of flute that went year round so musicality-wise I'm ahead of the curve. Dabbled 6 months here or there in the intervening 40 years, but never got anywhere until July 2018 when I found pianoTV. You know your teaching match when you find it. Went from Prep A under her to playing intro to Fur Elise, L. Mozart's Bourree in E Minor, and a pop song, Rainbow Connection that's at level one in about 6 months (along with 20 other songs I wouldn't be ashamed to play for company, but did not memorize.)

So for 2019:
1) Stick with the plan. (I have a horrible tendency to start one plan then veer off in another direction, always starting over so never advancing beyond where I was in plan, 1 or plan 2 or plan 3...

2) Practice minimum of 5 hours a week. I usually shoot for 10-15, but need to fix the "dropped" weeks where I get only 1 or 2 hours.

3) Complete my 40 piece challenge
14 pieces from pianoTV Level 1 (the hard stuff, frequently above Lev. 1)
3 pieces from RCM Repertoire 1
6 pieces from Connections Lev. 1
6 pieces from Faber 3B
6 pieces from Very Easy Little Peppers
5 pieces from "easiest" list in Piano Essentials, Vol 1 (Alfred)

4) For Technique
16 RCM Lev. 1 Etudes
15 pieces from Mikrokosmos 1 (#22-36)
9 from Czerny (#11-19)
11 Scales as listed in RCM 1 Technique

5) Continue working ear training and theory practice. (Especially want to be able to identify intervals by ear this year)

6) Should the Technique list get done when I suspect it will at the 8 month mark, use the time in the remaining four months to explore Keith Snell Essential Repertoire Level 1 not covered in my other sources.

7) Memorize at least 7 of my forty pieces to get my "repertoire list" to 10 pieces.

8) Make it through all of the above and mark off "Level 1" as done!

As an aside I've taken some grief for being so OCD with my plans at my "level". The implication being that until one is intermediate or above, there's no need to take it so seriously. Beg to differ, what you're going to do, do with your whole heart.
Posted By: barbaram

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/07/19 03:14 PM

I had a not-great 2018, piano-wise, so I will keep it simple:

1) Enjoy and have fun
2) Participate in MOYD - play every day I can, even if I can only manage a short time
3) Play lots of pieces
4) Follow my teacher's guidance

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/07/19 11:05 PM

Hi there,

More pianolovers who want to tell what to do in 2019?

Best regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Bobby Badd

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/08/19 03:33 PM

In 2019 I will try to

Play with more dynamics and emotion
Again, Continue work on sight-reading by doing the 40 piece challenge
Continue to work on timing using Hal, my onboard metronome and drummer
Continue to maintain song list of ready to play songs
Less pressure- more fun
Posted By: David B

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/08/19 05:09 PM

Put in at least 500 hours of practice and make it to lesson 46 in the Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course. I'm currently on lesson 34.

God bless,
David
Posted By: pathguy

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/08/19 05:50 PM

I originally posted this incorrectly for last year blush, but this is what I hope to work on for 2019:

1. SLOW DOWN when I play.

2. Focus on reading the music, rather than memorizing the piece right away.

3. Play and listen to more classical music.

4. Record myself more.

5. Spend less time on FB; more time on Pianoworld smile
Posted By: CadenzaVvi

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/08/19 06:43 PM

Nice objectives in here!

Ok, so, considering my lack of motivation of the past months, I think I shouldn't be over-ambitious. So:

- Getting back the piano in my daily routine. Play at least 4-days a week (my past regime was playing piano during the week, 2-3 hours every evening, then keeping my week-ends for other stuff).
- Make useful usage of my practice time, so more practically, set clear goals of what I want to practice when I get to the piano and focus on smaller chunks, so I still progress even though I practice only 10 minutes.
- Doing some ear training or sight singing exercices at least once a week, ideally twice or 3 times
- Continue reading through the theory book my teacher lend me once in a while... let's say a chapter every 2-weeks.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/09/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by pathguy
I originally posted this incorrectly for last year blush, but this is what I hope to work on for 2019:

1. SLOW DOWN when I play.m

2. Focus on reading the music, rather than memorizing the piece right away.

3. Play and listen to more classical music.

4. Record myself more.

5. Spend less time on FB; more time on Pianoworld smile

Pathguy, yes.....SLOW DOWN.....also my problem...... grin grin

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Qwerty53

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/10/19 01:10 AM

Lately I have had some very good practice days that remind me how much progress I could be making (duh!) if I had more good practice days every week. So, for 2019, my primary goal is to:

— get my days and weeks better organized so that practice comes first, consistently, (almost) every day.

And to:

— return to a more consistent practice, starting with the warmups, stretches, scales, and arpeggios recommended by my teacher.

— play a tenth comfortably! I’m at about nine-and-a-half. smirk

— record and listen to myself every week, to work on developing legato, dynamics, pedaling, and all those other elements that could contribute to expressive playing.

Getting the notes in the right order is just a start!
Posted By: Monica K.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/16/19 12:03 AM

Pretty sure I didn't meet my goals last year, so I am waffling between doubling down vs. lowering expectations. Think I'll go with lowering expectations. laugh

1.) Work up at least 12 new pieces to performance level that I can record and use for recitals and my annual compilation CD.

2.) Learn another couple of classical pieces (Satie and something Satie-like), on request of my elderly father and one of my biggest fans. grin

3.) Refresh and expand my memorized repertoire. I used to have 12 pieces well memorized and ready to play at the drop of a hat on the highly unlikely chance that somebody might ask me to sit down and play the piano an hour for them. Realized to my dismay recently that I had let several of them lapse from memory because I had forgotten to play them regularly.
Posted By: peterws

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/19/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Monica K.

Refresh and expand my memorized repertoire. I used to have 12 pieces well memorized and ready to play at the drop of a hat on the highly unlikely chance that somebody might ask me to sit down and play the piano an hour for them. Realized to my dismay recently that I had let several of them lapse from memory because I had forgotten to play them regularly.

Same here! It's an ongoing battle with a memory-box full of holes! I couldn't even, to my horror, play my own compos! There's a dozen of them, and more. Plus the shorter manageable classical pieces which, too, I had forgotten. Nor does it easily come back.
Much work ahead.

But i did achieve one thing. I've written my compositions down in sheet music notation form, easily readable, and am publishing in book form on Amazon Kindle. That, like playing the piano, is equal measures of fun and frustration.

We love it really . . .
Posted By: RosemaryGirl

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/20/19 12:00 PM

I guess it's a good idea to have some objectives in mind for the year ahead, without stressing out too much over them…

My main goal is to actually stick to playing the piano, which will mean buying my very own piano at the end of March, when I can no longer use the one I am being lent.

Shorter-term goals are to refresh my knowledge of music theory with "Introduction to Classical Music" and "Fundamentals of Music Theory" on Coursera, and to settle into a good routine with my new teacher. I'm excited!

Then, I guess I will try and practise most days of the week, if even for a short time, and enjoy the process without undue worry!

Hopefully, at the end of the year, I can review these goals and be satisfied, and if I've progressed in ear training, that will be an appreciable bonus! I will try and play for others as well, probably just family, or perhaps send in a piece or two to be included in PW recitals, even though I am a very green beginner. That's it!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/20/19 04:12 PM

I've kept looking at this thread since Johan B put it up on New Years Day, and I kept feeling unready to put up any goals. "My goals haven't gelled yet," I'd say. Every day that has gone by, I'd look at this thread but I would still not have goals. Thinking about why this is, I realize it is at least partly because the thing that brought me to piano was so unpremeditated and haphazard. I have only one goal and that is to eventually play my goal piece.

But subdividing that goal into subgoals which are year-delimited, and then subdividing the year 2019 subgoal into sub-subgoals, I guess I can lay out the year 2019 sub-subgoals, and I just need to bite the bullet or else it is just not happening.

Here are my sub-subgoals for piano for 2019:

Of these, I am already working on all except the 40 piece a year club, Reddit Piano Jam, technical exercises, exam prep, and the Discord practice room, all of which I haven't started yet.
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/20/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I've kept looking at this thread since Johan B put it up on New Years Day, and I kept feeling unready to put up any goals. "My goals haven't gelled yet," I'd say. Every day that has gone by, I'd look at this thread but I would still not have goals. Thinking about why this is, I realize it is at least partly because the thing that brought me to piano was so unpremeditated and haphazard. I have only one goal and that is to eventually play my goal piece.

But subdividing that goal into subgoals which are year-delimited, and then subdividing the year 2019 subgoal into sub-subgoals, I guess I can lay out the year 2019 sub-subgoals, and I just need to bite the bullet or else it is just not happening.

Here are my sub-subgoals for piano for 2019:

Of these, I am already working on all except the 40 piece a year club, Reddit Piano Jam, technical exercises, exam prep, and the Discord practice room, all of which I haven't started yet.

Ambitious! Go for themthumb
Posted By: John305

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/20/19 06:28 PM

My wife is the list maker in our house, I’m more of a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. Having said that, I’ll force myself to create a list of goals for 2019. Here goes:

1) Get better at playing the piano.

Wow, that was uncomfortable, I guess I’ll leave the list making to my better half. Thank god opposites attract.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/20/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by John305
My wife is the list maker in our house, I’m more of a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. Having said that, I’ll force myself to create a list of goals for 2019. Here goes:

1) Get better at playing the piano.

Wow, that was uncomfortable, I guess I’ll leave the list making to my better half. Thank god opposites attract.

Haha! Great list! Not going to be much of a stretch goal for you though, is it? wink As you can probably guess from my post above, in my family, the roles are quite reversed! grin
Posted By: malkin

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 02:23 AM

Double Haha for both of you John 305 and Tyrone Slothrop!

I already forgot what I wrote here for a goal so I just went back and checked. All is well, because I have already started taking better notes in lessons!
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 11:52 AM

It's rare for me to quantify goals explicitly, but I'll do so now:

• Memorize, and be able to comfortably play, 600 measures of classical music at Henle level 4 or above.
  • Listen to each of Beethovens sonatas 1-15, and each of Chopins preludes, while following in the score, four times.
Posted By: cmb13

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

• Memorize, and be able to comfortably play, 600 measures of classical music at Henle level 4 or above.
  • Listen to each of Beethovens sonatas 1-15, and each of Chopins preludes, while following in the score, four times.

Those are cool goals. 600 measures might be tough. The other will be time consuming (particularly the sonatas), but probably a ton of fun and educational.
Posted By: Tech-key

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 12:26 PM

Wow, that's really specific!

I've been struggling in this department. Them damn goals keep changing every day. Hopefully, I'll be able to jot some concrete ones before the quarter ends. So far, it's just two:

1) Don't quit the piano lessons
2) Don't disappoint your teacher

It's a little sad that both are starting with Don'ts. Will come back later to fill up the Dos.
Posted By: JoBert

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tech-key

It's a little sad that both are starting with Don'ts. Will come back later to fill up the Dos.

1) Do continue with piano lessons.
2) Do satisfy your teacher.

There you are. smile
Posted By: QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by cmb13

Those are cool goals. 600 measures might be tough. The other will be time consuming (particularly the sonatas), but probably a ton of fun and educational.

600 is far above what I managed last year, so this implies learning new pieces faster than before. As for the listening, I've done the first 8 sonatas once already, so that project is well under way. And, yes, that project is really enjoyable. smile
Posted By: Tech-key

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Tech-key

1) Do continue with piano lessons.
2) Do satisfy your teacher.

There you are. smile

Nice wordplay there JoBert! My goals are looking shinier now smile
Posted By: Wayne2467

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/21/19 04:42 PM

Completing the nine grade three Absrm pieces but I won’t beat myself up if it takes a bit longer - currently on “Tom bowling” and it seems way harder than the first two
Posted By: Pianist@Heart

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/22/19 04:13 PM

Hi,
My musical goals for 2019 are:

1. Do MOYD and practice piano more consistently
2. Continue with my voice lesson and start playing and singing the pieces that I am working on
3. Review music theory
4. Complete John Thompson Modern Course for the Piano Grade 3
5. Complete First Lessons in Bach
6. Start working on pieces from Burgmuller Op. 100
7. Continue with my piano lessons and improve my playing
8. Practice singing more regularly
9. Adjust and be able to play with arthritis in my hands
10. Enjoy this musical journey

I have enjoyed reading everyones goals and hope everyone has a great year.

Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/23/19 09:24 AM

My goal is to reel it in a bit. My performances are not just over the top, but it's gotten to the point where I'm clipping the recordings in the process with the sideshow that's going on eek. I'm exceeding the recorders limits and I already have the gain set low as not to pop the line. Which I am, sometimes horribly!

On a scale of 1-10, I've got to perform an enthusiastic piece at a 10, not a 12. The excess results in not a better performance, but rather a distortion of the note and the sound that results. I'm ruining the projected sound (at times) by literally overplaying the note. The music would sound so much better if it was performed just a little more 'in control' instead of sounding out of control and distorted at times.

So I've got to reel it in a bit. That is my goal. I plan on starting by playing a few more mellow pieces that pay more attention to the sustain and beauty of the simple notes rather than the complexity of the piece. I love the nice melodies so hopefully this works out. If I have any leftover energy, I'll just transfer that into my wife's nightly massages grin heart.
Posted By: PamQ

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/24/19 11:27 PM

What is “RCM”? I’m new to these forums so if this is a stupid question, I apologize.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/25/19 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by PamQ
What is “RCM”? I’m new to these forums so if this is a stupid question, I apologize.

Pam, RCM is the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto. They developed many years ago a system of formal music education for North America. In piano, the basic level consists of 12 levels as described here in the RCM syllabus: Preparatory A, Preparatory B, Level 1, Level 2, ..., Level 9, Level 10. Each level comes with an exam which can be taken almost anywhere in Canada or the US. No attendance in any school, or even a teacher, is required to take the exams. They have books for each level, but it's also possible to study for the exams directly from the published syllabus using free materials on the Internet. There is a fee to take the exams. You don't need to have passed any particular exam to take the next one (there might be an exception to this concerning music theory for some levels, not sure). You can learn more from the RCM website or the syllabus I linked earlier. If you do take the exams, you get nice certificates suitable for framing. As an adult not looking to be a professional anything, that's about all the certificates are good for wink (Also to make one feel either good or bad, depending on whether one passed or did not pass the exam!)
Posted By: Pianoperformance

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/25/19 02:06 AM

1. Include scales in warm up
2. Include sight reading in practice
3. 15 pieces
4. metronome

Keeping it simple. Anything more will be a wonderful bonus. Here is to 2019.
Posted By: Monica K.

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 01/29/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
My goal is to reel it in a bit. My performances are not just over the top, but it's gotten to the point where I'm clipping the recordings in the process with the sideshow that's going on eek. I'm exceeding the recorders limits and I already have the gain set low as not to pop the line. Which I am, sometimes horribly!... I plan on starting by playing a few more mellow pieces that pay more attention to the sustain and beauty of the simple notes rather than the complexity of the piece.

You nail those "mellow pieces" just as much. I *still* remember your beautiful rendition of "Lake Erie Rainfall" that so inspired me I bought the sheet music and tried to learn it, although I never could carry off those syncopated rhythms as effortlessly as you did. That was some years ago, though... maybe I should dig it out again.
Posted By: mr_super-hunky

Re: Your new musical goals for 2019 - 02/01/19 10:18 AM

I would *love* to hear you play that piece Monica. I'm flattered that you still remember it after all this time (12-13 yrs ago?). Funny thing is I just played it again for the first time a few days ago. Like many of Jim Brickmans tunes, Lake Eerie Rainfall is just a bunch of syncopated patterns strung together to form a beautiful piece. But it's still just a bunch of syncopated patterns. So you just learn them one at a time (there aren't many) and string 'em together. and then...voila, a beautiful Jim Brickman piece! I know you'd do a great job with it and your Mason would make it sound incredible.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums