Piano World Home Page

"40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019

Posted By: scorpio

"40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 03:18 PM

This is the official signup and participation thread for the 2019 "40 Pieces A Year Challenge"! We'll use this thread for signups, tracking progress, recordings (if you decide to share them) and discussion.

The Goal: To learn, perform and experience forty piano pieces in a year.

The Method: Pieces can include any genre (e.g., classical, jazz, rock, pop, arrangements). Most of these will be (should be) below your current skill level. These pieces do not have to be completed to a polished final standard. Ultimately, the pieces are for skill building, technique development, rhythm work, sight-reading, exploring new music and having fun.

The Rules: There are no rules. It is up to you on how to craft this challenge.

Tracking Your Progress: Please check in with this thread when you complete your pieces - we'll keep a running total for everyone at the top and edit it as needed. Please feel free to upload any recordings that you're making (this is not a requirement). We are a supportive group, so the more you participate and ask questions, the more you will get out of the challenge!

Some Notes About Skill Levels and Competition: We all have many different backgrounds and skill levels, so this challenge will look different for each one of us. Our goal is to support and foster people's drive to complete the challenge, no matter what skill level. Please be kind and refrain from bringing negative attitudes into the thread, whether towards yourself or towards others! This is about meeting the challenge (and the piano) where you are rather than comparing yourself to others.

For more details about the inspiration and source of this challenge, please read these pieces by Elissa Milne:

Where Did the 40 Piece Challenge Begin?

The Surprising Power Of Quantity

Suggestions for Getting Started

Resources and Recommended Books

40 PIECES A YEAR CLUBS FROM PRIOR YEARS

PUBLIC DOMAIN SHEET MUSIC
IMSLP (classical) 
NYPL Archives (Tin Pan Alley) 

RECOMMENDED BOOKS
First Lessons in Bach
Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volumes 1-8 (Alfred Music)
Joy of First Classics, Books 1 & 2 - Denes Agay
Classics to Moderns Series - Denes Agay
Melodious Masterpieces Series - Jane Magrath
RCM Celebration Series
Lyric Moments Series - Catherine Rollin
Romantic Impressions Series – Martha Mier
Jazz, Rags and Blues Series - Martha Mier
Masterwork Classics Series (Alfred Music)
Nocturnes - Dave Brubeck
Solo Piano - Phillip Glass
Piano Works - Max Richter
The Best of Ludovico Einaudi: Piano Solo

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 03:18 PM

Participants
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 05:15 PM

I'm afraid that I see little benefit in this idea despite it's apparent popularity. For starters, what's a "piece"? Why give twice as much real estate to two one page pieces as one two page piece? The idea that 40 pieces is a large or significant quantity is false because it does not take the above into consideration. It seems like this thread would encourage some to learn very short pieces. But I think that is not a particularly good criterion for selecting a piece.

The guidelines talk about performing 40 pieces but I doubt most could accomplish this. Also, I don't think it's pedagogically sound to spend so much time learning pieces below one's skill level as the guidelines again suggest.
Posted By: zillybug

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 05:37 PM

Please sign me up. I did it a couple of years ago and then got too busy . I am going to try again this year.
Posted By: mom3gram

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 06:22 PM

I'm in also.
Posted By: QuinGold

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 07:31 PM

I'm in. Recently I’ve been enjoying learning more complex pieces so my goal is to learn 20 pieces in 2019 plus lots of sight-reading of easy pieces (that I won't keep track of).

For the skeptics, the idea is to get better at sight reading by constantly learning new pieces. Whether they are below your level or not is up to you. I was brought up in the "one exam a year/three pieces" environment, and it's not conducive to reading music fast.

I LOVE this new way of learning and practicing. I get to pick the pieces I want to learn, and I make sure I'm constantly learning new material that interests me. The challenge, if there is one, is keeping up my favorites so I have some repertoire built up over the years. As I accumulate faves and keep them up, there is less time to focus on the current year!
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuinGold
For the skeptics, the idea is to get better at sight reading by constantly learning new pieces. Whether they are below your level or not is up to you. I was brought up in the "one exam a year/three pieces" environment, and it's not conducive to reading music fast.

I admit to being a skeptic to the idea of '40 pieces a year' until I read what you just wrote. OK. I'm in then! I suck at (sight-)reading so I hope this will work. confused
Posted By: QuinGold

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I admit to being a skeptic to the idea of '40 pieces a year' until I read what you just wrote. OK. I'm in then! I suck at (sight-)reading so I hope this will work. confused

Great! I think you'll find most participants say their sight reading improves with this challenge. Remember that the goal is your own: It's not a bad idea to learn one challenging piece every month (or two) and then one little piece every week or so, most of which you might later forget. I find that has worked for me, but the goals are yours to set – and change if they are not working. (I'm currently learning a 4-page piece that is progressing at one line a week, but it's so beautiful I'm not inclined to give it up!)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 09:27 PM

my goal is to learn 20 pieces in 2019 plus lots of sight-reading of easy pieces (that I won't keep track of).

This is exactly it.

This club/challenge is whatever you make it. It doesn't need to be 40 (it can be 20, 60, whatever); you can modify this concept to suit your needs for improving at the piano.

The idea is to see more music over time. By doing so, you hope to improve sight-reading skills and practice strategies. The aim is to learn to become more efficient.
Posted By: oneilt130

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 09:50 PM

Sign me up. One of my goals for 2019 is to improve my sight reading.
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 12/31/18 11:39 PM

Almost all good sight readers never "practiced" their sight reading. They just played through tons of music because they were interested in the piano literature. Although 40(I'm guessing mostly short 1-2 page pieces) is better than less than that amount, that's only 1-3 pages/week and a minimal amount. It seems like less than 10 minutes/week.
Posted By: Birdgolf

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 03:17 AM

I would like to join again. --Birdgolf
Posted By: Crocus

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 07:19 AM

Hi - Please sign me up for the coming year !
Posted By: PinkPianist

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 07:35 AM

I discovered this group at the beginning of 2018, and would love to join again!
Posted By: Ginger Flaherty

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 08:18 AM

I'm just starting out on piano, but I'd like to participate if I may smile
Posted By: JoBert

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 11:52 AM

I'm in again.

My personal goal will be the same again as last year, to leave me some room for larger and more difficult pieces: I want to reach 20+ completed (and recorded) pieces, plus whatever else strikes my fancy. I also reserve the right to include some pieces that I already started (and counted) in 2018, that I plan to work on more.

As scorpio said, the challenge (at least here in this thread) is whatever you make of it. For example for me it is not about sight reading (having only played from scores my whole life with almost no memorization at all, I'm pretty good at that already). For me it is about giving me structure and finishing goals, so that I don't meander from one piece to another too much, without ever finishing any of them. Well, and of course one of the original challenge's goals: To be exposed to more different music. (Although I must admit I still tend to gravitate back to a small group of preferred composers even with this challenge - but the challenge helps to mitigate that tendency).
Posted By: elenmirie

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 01:40 PM

I'm in. I didn't make 40 last year, so this year I think I'll set the goal of 20 and then see if I can beat it. I did find that it kept things fresh to sprinkle easier, shorter pieces in amongst the stretch pieces. I stopped doing that so much towards the end of the year, so now's the time to hit reset and start up again.

Good luck everyone and happy practicing!
Posted By: Chili_Time

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 02:36 PM

Thank you scorpio!

I've been waiting for the 2019 version of this thread so sign me up. While I'd love to bang out a piece from First Lessons in Bach I'm not ready for that this year so I'll be using the "Religous Favorites" book from the Bastien Older Beginner Piano Library Series to start with. Basically easy hymns in C D F G with right hand meolody and I IV and V7 in the left hand. I think I'll be able to keep moving through the Faber method books and do one of these a week on the side.

Alan Chan has a playlist on his You Tube Channel of this book if anyone wants to check it out.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/01/19 06:48 PM

Chili Time - I'm working on one from the "Religious Favorites" book right now (Nearer My God to Thee). I've used a few of them in the previous years' challenges too.
Posted By: Tech-key

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 06:26 AM

Please sign me up. For now, I'll mostly be working on Alfred's Adult Book 1, plus whatever supplemental pieces my teacher prescribes. On the side, I am looking forward to working on easier pieces from "Essential Keyboard Repertoire- Volume 1", as and when I get time.

Hopefully, it will be a fruitful year!
Posted By: Arty Movie

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 12:11 PM

Sign me up again please - didn't sign up last year as I was focusing on learning jazz/pop repertoire with my tutor, am aiming to focus a bit more on classical this year - it's also a good excuse to buy more books or download more scores.
Posted By: Purrblast

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 12:17 PM

I would like to join, please.
In 2018 I managed to learn 15 pieces within 7 months of playing with teacher (had to take 5 months off to heal my hands after initial shock I served them by playing improperly in 2017, which triggered early OA symptoms).
In 2019 I aim to reach 25 pieces (getting harder pieces as I progress and still have to go easy on my hands).
Posted By: Keselo

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 12:20 PM

I'll be joining this year as well!
Posted By: Greta99

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 01:39 PM

Please sign me up again.
Posted By: facdo

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 04:31 PM

I was thinking about a new year resolution of learning a new easy piece every week, having over 52 pieces in 2019, and then someone directed me to this post in this forum. I just register here to participate. I think it would be a great motivator and will help to keep track of progress. I just learned a new piece today, I will be recording it soon.
Please, count me in smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/02/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by facdo
I was thinking about a new year resolution of learning a new easy piece every week, having over 52 pieces in 2019, and then someone directed me to this post in this forum. I just register here to participate. I think it would be a great motivator and will help to keep track of progress. I just learned a new piece today, I will be recording it soon.
Please, count me in smile

Welcome to PW, facdo. You might also be interested in the MOYD thread.
Posted By: Medved1

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 01:15 AM

Please sign me up! Looking forward to a great 2019!
Posted By: JimB1

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 02:40 AM

Hmmm, that translates to learning a piece every 9 days or so... let me get though a month of classes and see how that works out.
I'll get back to you smile
-Jim
Posted By: Celestialgoat

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 03:50 AM

I'm just getting back into piano and after not consistently playing since being a teenager and I'd be down for this. Should we upload recordings somewhere? Can we count sonata movements as individual pieces?

I'll probably try a mix of Bach inventions/symphonias/P&Fs, Mozart/Haydn/Beethoven sonata movements, and some smaller romantic pieces e.g. Chopin preludes/mazurkas/waltzs/etudes, Brahms klavierstucke etc
Posted By: Celestialgoat

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 06:40 AM

1. Prelude, Op. 28, No. 20 (Chopin)
2. WTC, Book I: Prelude no. 12 in F minor, BWV 857 (Bach)

https://soundcloud.com/user-420195439/sets/2019-40-pieces-a-year-club
Posted By: SwissMS

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 04:34 PM

I am ready for another year of the 40 piece challenge as well. For me, I plan to bring back some pieces that I have played to build a working repertoire. That means some pieces here will be repeats from the past, that I will take to a higher level. My total number for the year will probably be less that 40, but hopefully I will make them more permanent!
Posted By: Colorado Mac

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tech-key
Please sign me up. For now, I'll mostly be working on Alfred's Adult Book 1, plus whatever supplemental pieces my teacher prescribes. On the side, I am looking forward to working on easier pieces from "Essential Keyboard Repertoire- Volume 1", as and when I get time.

Hopefully, it will be a fruitful year!

I am new to piano too, but have many years of music experience playing guitar. I will be working through Alfred's Adult Book 1, as well as online lessons at Playground Sessions. So, I should easily complete 40 "pieces" between the two resources, although I don't know that most of them would be called complete songs. Anyway, as is said in the "rules" above, the challenge is what I want to make of it and perhaps this challenge will motivate me and keep me on task.
Posted By: Dr. Rogers

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 05:34 PM

Question, just out of curiosity:

Do sonata movements count as individual pieces, or does the whole sonata count as one piece? What about a prelude and fugue, such as from the WTC? Does that count as two separate pieces, or one piece?

One could argue these questions either way, I'm just curious.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers

Do sonata movements count as individual pieces, or does the whole sonata count as one piece? What about a prelude and fugue, such as from the WTC? Does that count as two separate pieces, or one piece?

Entirely up to you. There are no rules as to what constitutes a piece.

Me personally, I'd probably count each Sonata / Sonatina movement as a separate piece (I've done so in the past with the one Sonatina I have recorded).
Posted By: zrtf90

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/03/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers

The object is to work on an average of one new piece every week using the 40 week academic year as a base.

If you work on three pieces a day, one a challenging three month piece (4 a year), an easier piece taking about four weeks (12 a year), and a very easy piece taking only a week or two (say, 24 pieces) that's a total of forty pieces over the year.

The easier pieces allow an exploration of unfamiliar composers, unfamiliar genres, fun pieces, finishing easier collections like Schumann and Tchaikovsky's Albums for the Young, and so on.

For the beginner it's better to whizz through very easy pieces and rack up the numbers but once the exam cycle begins it's common to bog down on only the exam pieces. This challenge overcomes that problem.

Once you're good enough to work on sonata movements it's no longer a question of numbers but broadening our musical horizons and exercising a wider variety of skills. It prevents students going stale on a few long term pieces and keeps up their lesser used skills of reading, analysing, memorising and problem solving. The latter skills don't usually get much of an airing once a piece has been on the rack for a week or two.
Posted By: K300

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/04/19 01:23 AM

Please sign me up. Thank you.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/04/19 01:48 PM

Thanks Tyrone, I think I will be joing the MOYD as well.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/04/19 01:54 PM

Just recorded my first piece of the year.

1 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.1 - La Candeur (youtube video)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/04/19 02:54 PM

Posting the pieces I learned so far this year. The recordings are far from perfect, but these will have to do for now!

1) Cafe Vienna (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
2) Fantasia in G minor, by Telemann (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>

Posted By: WildeTee

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/04/19 09:09 PM

Okay, I think I'm in...

Not 100% certain what level I will be looking at for getting through them all. Currently prepping for my RCM level 8 so sight read level for that is around level 6 so I am thinking I will probably start around the level 4 or 5 for the first few pieces and see how they go with the goal being to get to where I can learn a level 6 piece in a few sessions which hopefully means can competently read at that level? And will pick a few harder pieces to start now with the goal of having them done for later in the year.

First time taking an approach like this so excited to see how it goes.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/05/19 12:32 AM

1. Nearer My God to Thee - Bastien Religious Favorites
Posted By: Moo :)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/05/19 12:38 AM

I think 40 is too many. I will for 20.
Posted By: Tararex

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/05/19 08:19 AM

Please sign me up.
Posted By: Ny. Dominik

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/05/19 05:18 PM

Let me sign up too, I'd love it!
Posted By: Snejana

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/05/19 06:50 PM

I am in for this year as well. I did it for the first time last year, and, although I was very skeptical for learning 40 pieces I year, I did it. I have submitted 50 pieces total. So it is very doable.

Some pieces were easier and it would take me a week, while they were a few that would take more over a month. I usually learn about four pieces in parallel. Most pieces were 1-2 page long, so it is definitely not a lot, but sufficient for my level (late beginner-early intermediate). I have to say it is this challenge that allowed me to shift to the early intermediate phase.
Posted By: gingko2

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/05/19 07:01 PM

I'd like to join for this year, even though I only got about 20 pieces listed for last year.

One great outcome from discussing the challenge last year with my teacher is that we added two new "tracks" to my lessons: learning easier pieces (from Agay's "Easy Classics to Moderns") and playing simple pieces by ear. One of my 2019 goals is to learn new pieces more efficiently. I did get more efficient learning and my ear improved too.

Looking forward to another year...

Thanks, scorpio, for your work on this thread.
Posted By: Hoopoe

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/06/19 08:52 PM

I would like to join for this year.

My motivations for doing so are actually opposite to the thinking behind why the challenge was originally created. My natural inclination is to race through piece after piece, and move on as soon as the notes and rhythm are correct. I am going to challenge myself to focus more deeply on 40 pieces, and not consider them complete until I have really thought about expression and musicality. I hope to even record at least some of them, which is something I have never done before.

Looking forward to following along with everyone's progress.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/06/19 09:29 PM

1. Material Girl – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
2. L'apres-midi – Yann Tiersen
Posted By: HollyBytheLake

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/06/19 10:51 PM

I started seriously practicing again in July 2018 and managed 20 Prep and Lev. 1 pieces before the end of the year, but must admit to being daunted by the "40" of this challenge. Here goes, I'm in.
Posted By: polychristal

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/06/19 11:00 PM

Just started learning the piano a month ago, and I'd love to give this challenge a try.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/07/19 02:23 PM

2 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.2 - Arabesque (youtube video)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/07/19 04:18 PM

2. Early One Morning - English Folk Song

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/07/19 08:11 PM

I did 95% of the work in 2018, but I recorded them this year, and that's what counts (I hope).

1 Robert Fuchs – Sad at Heart (Op. 47, No. 5)
2 Cornelius Gurlitt – Wild Mignonette (Op. 205, No. 1)
3 Dmitri Shostakovich – Waltz (Op. 69, No. 2)
4 Alexandre Tansman – Dreams (Happy Time, Book 1, No. 14)
Posted By: ChrisMH

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/08/19 03:19 AM

I'd like to join, please.

ChrisMH
Posted By: Ginger Flaherty

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/08/19 08:32 AM

Okay,
I didn't really start this challenge until Friday the 4th but here is my first entry.

Gooseberry Goose, Schaum Preliminary Method.
Posted By: Abby.c

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/08/19 12:00 PM

I am in!

Is it okay to post a video?

1. Jingle Bells by Martha Mier

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/08/19 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Abby.c
I am in!

Is it okay to post a video?

Sure! I do so all the time with my posts for the challenge and didn't get any complaints (yet wink).

And: Nice playing! smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/08/19 02:12 PM

Abby.c - that was a really cool version of Jingle Bells! Sort of ragtime-like. I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/08/19 11:04 PM

3. You're So Vain – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/09/19 07:06 AM

2) Fantasia in G minor, by Telemann (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>
3) Rock It Away! (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/09/19 04:27 PM

Working in Faber Piano Adventures Level 4, Great Stuff!!!
1 Allegro Grazioso, Biehl
2 Moonlight Sonata, Beethoven
3 Strawberry Malt, N. Faber
4 Mazurka in F Major, N.F.
Posted By: PianoCats

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/10/19 09:10 AM

I’m excited to try this 40 piece challenge. Please sign me up! Adult beginner so will mainly be working out of method books, Denes Agay and other popular repertoire books. Thank you to participants from past years! Your lists provided some great recommendations!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/10/19 02:44 PM

4) Lullaby (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
Posted By: Jin K

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/10/19 07:33 PM

Thank you for organising this, Scorpio.
I’d love to join too.
Thanks

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/10/19 09:29 PM

Nice job, Tech-key! Your Alfred pieces sound a lot better than I remember mine sounding.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/11/19 05:47 AM

Thanks a lot for listening, mom3gram. I’ve read many of your posts these past months. You come across as such a gem of a person. To me, you are “Forum Royalty”!
Sending lots of love your way 3hearts
Posted By: Abby.c

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/11/19 12:14 PM

Thank you. I hope one day I could play as great as you smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/11/19 07:02 PM

Thanks, Tech-key. I wish that I were as good at piano as I am at posting. LOL

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/12/19 01:58 AM

1. Lied from Bach for Beginners
Posted By: jsteele5434

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/12/19 12:06 PM

I would like to join this year. I know it’s a little late but I really need to practice my sight reading.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/13/19 10:12 AM

Here's my first piece for 2019:

1 To Catch A Dream <Recording> (by Martha Mier)

Another one of the easy Martha Mier romantic pieces.

Posted By: TomLC

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/13/19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoBert
Here's my first piece for 2019:

Another one of the easy Martha Mier romantic pieces.

Beautiful as usual, JoBert.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/13/19 01:59 PM

Finished some work started in 2018
1. Bouree in e minor (BWV 996) - J.S. Bach <youtube link>
2. Sonatina in C Major 1st mov. (Op 36. No 1/1) - M. Clementi <youtube link>
Posted By: GIJack

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/13/19 04:26 PM

I was thinking to join the 40 a Year Club last year but finally decided to take the challenge. Sign me up please!
Posted By: jsteele5434

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/14/19 04:03 AM

1. Pearls Op. 109 No. 2 Burgmuller

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/14/19 12:36 PM

Really enjoying the links and videos you all are posting. Shout out to JoBert that was wonderful! I'm on track and will post my list of pieces @ month end.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/15/19 09:45 AM

5) Minuet in G Major, BWV Anh. 114, from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) [<SoundCloud>

I've been working on this Minuet for at least a month now. But from last week onwards, I've seen zero perceptible improvement in it. And that too after bringing out all the tools I know; counting, metronome, slow practice.. you name it! I'm at my wit's end trying to fix it. So, I'm calling it "learned" for now, and will come back to it later, once I'm acquainted to ornamentations.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/15/19 07:09 PM

3. Desert Gold - Alfred 2A Performance

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/16/19 12:10 AM

4. I'll Be There – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/16/19 04:15 PM

3 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.3 - Pastorale

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/16/19 06:17 PM

4. Heart of My Heart - Favorite Melodies the World Over

This was not the "Heart of My Heart" that I am familiar with, although I did vaguely remember this one also. It should be called "Heart of My Heart, I Love You".

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/19/19 02:16 AM

5. The Autograph - Alfred 2A
Posted By: Oklabecca

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/19/19 08:40 AM

I’ll try to get 40 pieces this year.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/19/19 01:00 PM

facdo,
You played it so beautifully.. I want to learn this piece, but it's too tough for me at the moment.

mom3gram,
You are so rocking this challenge!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/19/19 06:52 PM

I've been working on this Minuet for at least a month now. But from last week onwards, I've seen zero perceptible improvement in it. And that too after bringing out all the tools I know; counting, metronome, slow practice.. you name it! I'm at my wit's end trying to fix it. So, I'm calling it "learned" for now, and will come back to it later, once I'm acquainted to ornamentations.

Revisiting something after laying it aside for some time is a great way to make progress without having to put in any additional effort! That being said, ornaments are tough to consistently get right. I'm finally starting to get my ornaments with 2-3 right more often than not. Now, only all the other finger combinations remain...

You play it well, by the way! Nice clarity, with a steady rhythm, and I really like your staccatos in the second half of the piece!

What you could try is to slow a bit down in the final bar, to sort of round off your piece. In fact, that's something that you could try with every piece that you learn, as it works every time!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/19/19 07:48 PM

Three new recordings. I do have a couple more pieces which are ready to be recorded, but my pedal is once again acting up. It occasionally lets out a loud clicking noise, and that just disrupts my recordings too much. My piano technician does know what the problem is, so I hope he'll come and fix it soon.

5 Erik Satie – Chocolate-Almond Waltz (Menus Propos Enfantins, No. 3)
6 Béla Bartók – In Three Parts (Mikrokosmos, Book 3, No. 76)
7 Cornelius Gurlitt – Lullaby (Op. 101, No. 6)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/20/19 02:39 PM

Number 2 for 2019, another Martha Mier pice (probably the last one for a while, but you never know smile):

2 Shadows At Sunset <Recording> (by Martha Mier)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/20/19 03:50 PM

Thanks Kesolo, for the suggestions!
Will work on all the things you recommended. I think this piece was a little over my current abilities, and will try to stick to the easier ones in the book for now.

Enjoyed your videos a lot. You have put together quite a nice set-up.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/20/19 04:45 PM

5) Minuet in G Major, BWV Anh. 114, from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) [<SoundCloud>

Great job on that Minuet. It is tricky. I did it myself after about 4 and a half months of self-teaching, and recorded this just a week or so after I started piano lessons. I found it challenging at the time, and I too couldn't get in any of the ornaments since as Keselo alluded to, my fingers don't like ornaments wink , so my recording is ornament-less.

But what I did was put my scores of all of my repertoire pieces in a 3-ring binder with a date on each one. Minuet has a date of 6/28/18, and when that anniversary comes, I'm going to revisit the piece and see if I can't bring something new to it. This is also in keeping with my little personal theory of not beating pieces to death but moving on an returning later when one has more skills, resources (and yes, even patience! laugh ).

I was hoping 6/28/19 would see me adding ornaments, but seeing as I haven't yet learned ornaments, and my fingers still don't like ornaments, perhaps I'll only be able to improve the dynamics and add some voicing, since this recording from June is essentially with one level of dynamics for the entire piece - probably made it before I could control dynamics to any degree while maintain the tempo.

You too may want to date your performances and revisit after a suitable time since I'm sure each revisit will allow you to add something new technically or musically.

Keep it up! thumb

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/20/19 05:08 PM

You did well six months back, Tyron! Binding your repertoire together is a good idea. I was thinking of doing something like this too. It gets tiring to keep shuffling the books on the stand.
On ornamentation, why not try an easier piece with just one or two measures with fancy ornaments? That will help gain the needed confidence, and prepare you well for the scheduled revisit in another 6 months.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/20/19 09:28 PM

Pretty piece, JoBert. I really like Martha Mier's pieces.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/21/19 11:05 AM

6) Ländler, by Schubert (Trinity- 2015-2017 syllabus) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/22/19 01:15 AM

1. Samuel Arnold, Gigue (Keyboard Musician)
2. Emil Söchting, Reflections (Keyboard Musician)
3. John LaMontaine, Highland Song (Keyboard Musician)
4. Alexander Tcherepnin, Joy and Tears (Keyboard Musician)
5. Minka (Russian folk song) (Keyboard Musician)
Posted By: Pianist@Heart

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/22/19 03:46 PM

Hi,
I would like to give this a try this year. I will be working on pieces from John Thompson Modern Course for the Piano Grade Three and First Lessons in Bach. Also, I will learning to play the pieces that I am singing in my voice lessons.
Posted By: Superman2048

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/23/19 02:24 PM

1. O Sole Mio - E.di Capua (Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book 1)
2. Jericho (Alfred's BAPCLB1)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/23/19 07:12 PM

Moving along in the Faber Piano Adventure books. Update in bold:
[/b]5 Polka, Secondo and Prima
6 Greensleeves, Traditional English
7 The Spy, N.F.[b]

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/24/19 05:01 PM

Finally on the board:

1. Square-O, Elissa Milne, 1/23/19

I've got six more in progress. Guess as long as I don't fall more than 12 weeks behind, I'm on schedule?

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/24/19 05:03 PM

Don't worry about falling behind, just keep making progress. And have fun with it!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/24/19 09:47 PM

1 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.1, La Candeur - youtube
2 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.2, Arabesque - youtube
3 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.3, Pastorale - youtube
4 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.4, Petite Reunion - youtube
Posted By: Fidel

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/25/19 04:08 AM

Oops already a month behind but yes sign me up. I've only ever studied pieces for exams and juries, and, have never gone backwards. I didn't learn very many pieces probably not even 40 in my life.

This 40/yr sounds like a good idea. I'll be very interested to see what happens.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/26/19 04:15 PM

3. Greensleeves (Alfred's BAPCLB1) Youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/26/19 09:40 PM

6. Bells of London - English Folk Tune
7. The Answering Machine - Alfred 2A

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/26/19 09:43 PM

========= JANUARY======
1. Guitar Serenade by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner; 2 pages - Key of C major, although not entirely stable in the key)
2. Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi Graded Pieces - Arrangements (Level Preparatory; 2 pages - Key of E minor
3. Etude by Felix Le Couppey (Gade 1 - 2 pages ))
4. Time Alone by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner; 2 pages
5. Fantasia in G minor, Georg Philipp Telemann (1681 - 1767), TWV 33:8, Piano (Grade 1 - 1 page)
6. Le Onde by Ludovico Einaudi Graded Pieces - Arrangements (Level Preparatory; 2 pages

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/27/19 12:40 PM

2. Chopin Prelude Opus 28 No 20

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/27/19 11:17 PM

January
5. My Funny Valentine – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/28/19 01:34 PM

7) Cockles and Mussels (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
8) Got Those Blues (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/28/19 07:49 PM

It would take me a year to learn the pieces some of you post and I’d be lucky to sound half as good even given a year. So, my hat is off to all the quality players who post recordings. I enjoy listening to your recordings as I play fetch with the dog at night or am just relaxing by the fire. I recently began to tune into the Piano Bar thread and that is fantastic also.

Since we get to make our own rules for the challenge I’m going to attempt to avoid counting anything I learn in the Faber method books. I’m using supplemental pieces I can learn and play (in time, at tempo, sound decent) in about a week. However, I reserve the right to bend my own self imposed rule if I fall behind. laugh

January 2019
1. Come, Thou Almighty King (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
2. My Faith Looks Up To Thee (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
3. Morning Mood (Classic Themes by the Masters - Bastien)
4. Jesus Shall Reign (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
5. Ode to Joy (Classic Themes by the Masters - Bastien)

In process but it’s going to take more than a week… Here comes the Sun (The Beatles Best: Easy Piano Dan Fox arranger). I look forward to the day when "easy piano" books become easy for me.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/29/19 04:53 PM

Six new pieces recorded today, still did most of the work last year. Making some good headway, but my pace will definitely slow down from this point on.

8 Béla Bartók - Little Study (Mikrokosmos, Book 3, No. 77)
9 Feliks Rybicki - Sad Autumn
10 Erik Satie – Berceuse (Enfantillages Pittoresques, No. 2)
11 Charles Koechlin – Canon (Op. 208, No. 2)
12 Charles Koechlin – Valse (Op. 208, No. 3)
13 Charles Koechlin – Andante con moto (Op. 208, No. 8)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/29/19 07:01 PM

I really liked "Sad Autumn". All of the new pieces that you posted were beautiful, but I am drawn to the sad, haunting sound of this one. Nice playing!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/29/19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mom3gram
I really liked "Sad Autumn". All of the new pieces that you posted were beautiful, but I am drawn to the sad, haunting sound of this one. Nice playing!

Thank you so much! It's been one of my favourites for a long time; took me 1.5 years to get to this point. It really was way too hard when I first learned it, but it's really nice to experience growing into a piece like that.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/30/19 05:53 PM

5 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.5, Innocence - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 12:02 AM

1. Milne, Elissa - Sqaure-O
2. Bartok, Bela - Mikrokosmos #23
3. Norton, Christopher - Driving Range

I've decided not to list "lesson" pieces from Faber as originally planned. Frankly Cherny and Mikrokosmos exercises are more deserving of the effort.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 12:09 AM

Keslo that is a cool shot of the pinao in your Sad Autumn video. I like that piece.

Facdo you make it look so easy! Well done.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Keslo that is a cool shot of the pinao in your Sad Autumn video. I like that piece.

Thank you, I'm happy I finally found a way to record from that angle. Now I just need to not film it at a slight angle.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 02:49 PM

4. Go Down, Moses (Alfred's BAPCLB1) Youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 04:20 PM

8. Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis - Favorite Melodies the World Over
9. Botany Bay - Old English Folk Tune

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 05:35 PM

Wow, I am amazed by the quality of your playing and your recordings. There is so much depth and musicality in your interpretations, congratulations!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 05:43 PM

Thank you, I am practicing a lot to handle learning one short piece per week. I hope I can keep up with this progress for the entire year.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 05:56 PM

Wow, I am amazed by the quality of your playing and your recordings. There is so much depth and musicality in your interpretations, congratulations!

Oh my, so many nice comments. Thank you very much, facdo!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 01/31/19 07:54 PM

1. Cotton Reel - Nikki Iles
2. Moody Prawn Blues - Franklyn Gellnick
3. The Bonny Gray Ey'd Morn - Jeremiah Clarke
4. Never Enough - The Greatest Showman
5. Air on the G String - from 100 Most Beautiful Piano Solos
6. Lesson in C - Diabelli

I feel I'm making good progress, although I haven't managed to get any pieces recorded. Some people are really powering through, good work guys. smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/01/19 04:12 AM

6. Frances Clark, Peaceful Valley (Keyboard Musician)
7. Frances Clark, Off-Beat (Keyboard Musician)
8. James Hook, Minuetto (Keyboard Musician)
Posted By: Hemidemisemi

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/01/19 08:17 AM

Hi everyone! I'd like to join the 40 pieces a year challenge as well please. My teacher is a proponent of a 'repertoire-rich' curriculum so hopefully I'll make it and improve my sight reading in the process.
Posted By: Hemidemisemi

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/01/19 01:22 PM

1. L'Arabesque, Burgmüller (25 progressive studies Op. 100 no. 2)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/02/19 08:08 PM

Update in Bold:
5 Polka, Secondo and Prima
6 Greensleeves, Traditional English
7 The Spy, N.F.
8 Dance in F Major, W.A. Mozart
9 Silver Rain Etude. N.F.
10 French Minuet, Jean-Baptiste Lully

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/03/19 01:58 PM

3. Little Prelude in C Major (BWV 939) - J.S. Bach <youtube link> (trills are 16th notes, advised by my teacher, as my hand was going to tense with 32nds; so most likely I will revisit this piece in the future)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/04/19 09:28 PM

8. Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis - Favorite melodies the World Over
9. Classic Dance - Alfred 2A

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/06/19 04:42 PM

9) Minuet in F, L. Mozart (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/06/19 06:15 PM

4. Krieger, Johann - Minuet in A Minor
5. Yellow Rose of Texas - Traditional, arr. A. van Betuw
6. Diabelli, Anton - Etude in C Major, Op. 125, no. 3

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/07/19 07:38 PM

6 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.6, Progres - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/07/19 08:08 PM

facdo,
I just binge-watched all your videos. Great going! Are you planning to do all 25 in order?

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/08/19 01:16 PM

facdo,
I just binge-watched all your videos. Great going! Are you planning to do all 25 in order?

Thank you! That is the plan. But these are progressive studies, they are getting harder, I don`t know if I will be able to keep up learning a new one every week.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/08/19 05:43 PM

facdo, I too have enjoyed all 6 of your Burgmuller videos. Nice playing!!!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/09/19 07:39 AM

9. V. Brumberg, Regrets (Keyboard Musician)
10. Alexander Tcherepnin, Relays (Keyboard Musician)
11. Fritz Spindler, Immortelle (Keyboard Musician)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/09/19 06:51 PM

facdo, I too have enjoyed all 6 of your Burgmuller videos. Nice playing!!!

Thank you, I am glad that you enjoyed smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/10/19 03:45 PM

5. Scarborough Fair (Alfred's BAPCLB1) Youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/10/19 07:57 PM

Tech-key your recordings have convinced me to put the Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1 on my list of books to get. Thanks for the recordings!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/11/19 03:38 AM

Tech-key your recordings have convinced me to put the Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1 on my list of books to get. Thanks for the recordings!

Thanks a lot, Chili_Time! I love this collection. It's the most 'value for money' book I've got in recent times. The 100 pieces in it should keep me working for many many years. At least, I hope so!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/11/19 09:34 AM

Thanks a lot, Chili_Time! I love this collection. It's the most 'value for money' book I've got in recent times. The 100 pieces in it should keep me working for many many years. At least, I hope so!

Hey Tech-key! I love your recordings! The sound is so clear and much more enjoyable to listen to than my youtube clips lol! How do you do it? What do you use to record your practice? I assume you plug your digital piano to your pc and record it with a recording software?

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/11/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Superman2048
Hey Tech-key! I love your recordings! The sound is so clear and much more enjoyable to listen to than my youtube clips lol! How do you do it? What do you use to record your practice? I assume you plug your digital piano to your pc and record it with a recording software?

Thanks Superman! I wouldn't say these are more enjoyable than your youtube clips. Personally, I enjoy watching videos much more smile

Coming to the recording part, I find it very confusing. My user-name is such a misnomer! I just use a USB 2.0 Cable A-Male to B-Male (standard printer cable) and connect it to my Mac. Then record the MIDI using GarageBand. Thereafter, I convert the recorded MIDI to an mp3 file using GarageBand itself. You can use the free Audacity software too. I've read it works just as well.

Starting out, most of my information came from reading this article.

Since you are uploading videos (which is just fab), you'll get a better result, if you can record the audio separately and mix it with the video. There are some free softwares for that too. But since I don't have any hands-on with those, I probably shouldn't recommend anything particular.

BTW, I see that you have finally tamed your left hand pinky and uploaded such a nice rendition of Scarborough Fair. Well done thumb. Looking forward to more such videos!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/12/19 12:37 PM

Thanks Superman! I wouldn't say these are more enjoyable than your youtube clips. Personally, I enjoy watching videos much more smile

Coming to the recording part, I find it very confusing. My user-name is such a misnomer! I just use a USB 2.0 Cable A-Male to B-Male (standard printer cable) and connect it to my Mac. Then record the MIDI using GarageBand. Thereafter, I convert the recorded MIDI to an mp3 file using GarageBand itself. You can use the free Audacity software too. I've read it works just as well.

Starting out, most of my information came from reading this article.

Since you are uploading videos (which is just fab), you'll get a better result, if you can record the audio separately and mix it with the video. There are some free softwares for that too. But since I don't have any hands-on with those, I probably shouldn't recommend anything particular.

BTW, I see that you have finally tamed your left hand pinky and uploaded such a nice rendition of Scarborough Fair. Well done thumb. Looking forward to more such videos!

Thank you Tech-key you're too kind! smile I've downloaded Audacity, will try some pieces with audio only and maybe mix them together with the clips!

I have finally tamed my pinky haha! One thing I found out with that piece is that I need to work on my hand independence laugh I'm looking forward to your uploads too! Oh which reminds me, I hear good things about Essential Repertoir. Would you say it's useful for someone like me (5 months practice)? Are the pieces in the book ordered from easy to hard or random put together? Bye happy playing!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/12/19 02:52 PM

I have finally tamed my pinky haha! One thing I found out with that piece is that I need to work on my hand independence laugh I'm looking forward to your uploads too! Oh which reminds me, I hear good things about Essential Repertoir. Would you say it's useful for someone like me (5 months practice)? Are the pieces in the book ordered from easy to hard or random put together? Bye happy playing!

No, the pieces in Essential Repertoire are not ordered from easy to hard. These have been grouped together by composers. (Inside the composer groupings, they are ordered by difficulty.). The book does mention a list of a dozen easiest pieces, which is helpful. Since I have too much time in my hands currently, researching is not much of a problem. But in case of limited time, this book may not be suitable. I think I remember Masterwork Classics Level 1 being recommended for beginners somewhere. The site describes it as "A progressive repertoire series". Not very sure here either.

I've listened to the Essential Repertoire playlists so many times now, that I've got a bit attached to this book. LOL. So I'll continue with this as of now. The pieces in this book are too tough for me though, and take weeks!

I'm also around 5 months in, so really don't know much about the options available. I'm basically going by hit and trial. I really hope someone more experienced answers your question. If not, please start a new thread. That will be helpful for all of us beginners, and searchable for future generations too wink

Happy playing to you too!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/12/19 06:51 PM

Josh Wright recommends the Keith Snell series for graded classical music. Each level has a baroque/classical volume and a romantic/20c volume.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/12/19 07:38 PM

One thing I found out with that piece is that I need to work on my hand independence

Take a look at this on hand independence.

Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
Josh Wright recommends the Keith Snell series for graded classical music. Each level has a baroque/classical volume and a romantic/20c volume.

As well as a separate etudes volume per level. But there is also a more abridged version of his series where there is one volume per level, but it contains fewer, only select pieces, gathered from the different specialized volumes.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/13/19 02:44 PM

7 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.7, Courant Limpide - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/13/19 04:44 PM

No, the pieces in Essential Repertoire are not ordered from easy to hard. These have been grouped together by composers. (Inside the composer groupings, they are ordered by difficulty.). The book does mention a list of a dozen easiest pieces, which is helpful. Since I have too much time in my hands currently, researching is not much of a problem. But in case of limited time, this book may not be suitable. I think I remember Masterwork Classics Level 1 being recommended for beginners somewhere. The site describes it as "A progressive repertoire series". Not very sure here either.

I've listened to the Essential Repertoire playlists so many times now, that I've got a bit attached to this book. LOL. So I'll continue with this as of now. The pieces in this book are too tough for me though, and take weeks!

I'm also around 5 months in, so really don't know much about the options available. I'm basically going by hit and trial. I really hope someone more experienced answers your question. If not, please start a new thread. That will be helpful for all of us beginners, and searchable for future generations too wink

Happy playing to you too!

Ok thank you. I'll keep the Essential Repertoire on my book wish list and maybe buy it sometime later.

Take a look at this on hand independence.

Thanks Tyrone I'll check that link! I love this forum there's so much materials/info laugh

Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake

As well as a separate etudes volume per level. But there is also a more abridged version of his series where there is one volume per level, but it contains fewer, only select pieces, gathered from the different specialized volumes.

Those books look interesting as well! Will keep them in mind thank you!

Edit: Facdo what a joyful, happy, pleasant piece! laugh

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/15/19 12:38 PM

3 Einsame Blumen (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) <Recording> (by Robert Schumann)

My #3 is my submission to the 53rd ABF recital. A wonderful and delicate piece by Schumann, from Opus 82, "Waldszenen".
The English title of the piece is "Lonely Flowers". The opus is "Forest Scenes".
If you are interested in the comments that I wrote for my recital submission, you can find them here.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/15/19 01:45 PM

Jobert, your recordings are just so awesomely awesome. And you described your latest submission so beautifully in the recital page!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/15/19 03:10 PM

Jobert, your recordings are just so awesomely awesome. And you described your latest submission so beautifully in the recital page!

Thanks! blush

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/15/19 06:12 PM

Another batch of 6 pieces today. My 'to-record' list is rapidly shrinking down to manageable proportions, thank god!

14 Dmitri Kabalevsky - Prelude (Op. 39, No. 19)
15 Dmitri Kabalevsky - Clowns (Op. 39, No. 20)
16 Dmitri Kabalevsky - Improvisation (Op. 39, No. 21)
17 J.S. Bach - Menuet fait par Mons. Böhm (Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, No. 21)
18 Béla Bartók - Lento (For Children, Book 1, No. 11)
19 Cornelius Gurlitt - Turkish March (Op. 101, No. 9)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/15/19 07:42 PM

JoBert - Love your "Lonely Flowers".

Keselo - I enjoyed all or your recent selections, especially the Menuet. I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/15/19 08:46 PM

Keselo - I enjoyed all or your recent selections, especially the Menuet. I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Thank you. It's my favourite Menuet from the book so far, it's such a happy little piece. Should definitely be much better known.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/17/19 06:16 PM

8 - Liszt S.172 No.1, Consolation No.1 - youtube

I have been working on other pieces in parallel, so I would have to disrupt the sequence of the Burgmuller studies sooner or later.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/19/19 08:49 AM

9) Minuet in F, L. Mozart (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>
10) Blues for Wynton Marsalis (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
11) On Top of Old Smoky (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
12) Chiapanecas (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/19/19 04:46 PM

Tech-Key, I really liked playing "On Top of Old Smokey" in Book 1. I think it was the first piece that used broken chords in almost every measure, and it was fun to play.

10. Rainy Day Blues - Alfred 2A
11. The Shepherd Plays - T. Salutrinskaya

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/19/19 05:28 PM

Tech-Key, I really liked playing "On Top of Old Smokey" in Book 1. I think it was the first piece that used broken chords in almost every measure, and it was fun to play.

Yeah mom3gram, I'm also having good fun with broken chords. I learnt Chiapanecas first, which I found somewhat difficult. Playing Old Smokey after that felt very soothing.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/19/19 06:06 PM

6. Raisins and Almonds (Alfred's BAPCLB1) Youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/20/19 06:00 PM

9 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.8, La Gracieuse - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/21/19 02:54 AM

4. Krieger, Johann - Minuet in A Minor
5. Yellow Rose of Texas - Traditional, arr. A. van Betuw
6. Diabelli, Anton - Etude in C Major, Op. 125, no. 3
7. Cornelius Gurlitt - Morning Greeting, Op. 117, #13
8. Norton, Christopher - Full of Confidence
9. Karl Czerny - Vol. 445, #11

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/22/19 08:42 AM

10) Blues for Wynton Marsalis (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
13) Sonatina, William Duncombe (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/22/19 11:23 AM

7. J.S.Bach - Minuet (Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics) Youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/25/19 01:20 PM

January 2019
3. Jesus Shall Reign (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
4. Faith of Our Fathers (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
5. For The Beauty Of The Earth (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
6. Morning Mood (Classic Themes by the Masters)
7. Ode to Joy (Classic Themes by the Masters)

February 2019
8. Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
9. Sun of My Soul (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
10. All My Loving (Beatles – The Easy Fake Book)
12. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Random Lead sheet off the internet that Google found)

Posted By: Darth

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/25/19 08:48 PM

I'm soooo late but please sign me in. 2019 will be my first year in learning piano so I don't know what I can expect but I would like to take the challenge. I will set my personal goal to 20 pieces (only repertoire, nothing from method books)

1. C. Petzold - Minuet in G major <Soundcloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/25/19 09:14 PM

Superman - Your post reminded me that I have a copy of Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics. I bought it when I first started lessons and then realized it was over my head and filed it away. I need to find it as I think I'm ready for some of the pieces now.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/26/19 08:54 AM

8. Ach, Du Lieber Augustine (Alfred All-Time Favourites Book 1) Youtube
9. Over The Rainbow (Alfred Pop Song Piano Book 1) Youtube

Superman - Your post reminded me that I have a copy of Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics. I bought it when I first started lessons and then realized it was over my head and filed it away. I need to find it as I think I'm ready for some of the pieces now.

Hey Chili! I came to the same conclusion after Bach haha! It's way too hard for me atm so I have put it aside and bought the two Alfred books, All-Time Favourites and Piano Pop. Going to play from these two from now on as I am nearing the end of Alfred Basic Adult 1 and feel that I'm not ready for Book 2 yet. Happy playing!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/26/19 04:59 PM

February update:
11 Scarborough Fair, Traditional English, FunTime Fav level 3A-3B
12 I've Been Working on the Railroad, Traditional, FunTime Fav
13 Grand Central Station, G Maj., N. Faber
14 Chasing Butterflies, Jean Louis Streabbog
15 Two Guitar, FunTime Favorites level 3A-3B
Posted By: Bobby Badd

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 02/26/19 07:35 PM

Wish You Were Here
Runaround Sue
Open Arms
Don’t want to miss a thing
5-Moon River

Heartbreak Hotel* (*medley)
Kansas City*
Be Bop a Lu La*
Behind Blue Eyes
10-What’d I Say

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/02/19 02:17 PM

4 Arietta (from Lyric Pieces, Opus 12, No. 1) <Recording> (by Edvard Grieg)

With my #4 I'm finally getting around to finishing the first of Grieg's Lyric pieces, of which I got the full collection as a Christmas gift (and it's also the very first of Grieg's collection of lyric pieces, from the very first book). A wonderful little piece...

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/02/19 03:17 PM

12. Mozart, Minuet, K.6 (Keyboard Musician)
13. Beethoven, Russian Folk Song, Op. 107 No 3 (Keyboard Musician)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/02/19 04:23 PM

Pretty pieces, JoBert! I love that kind of music!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/03/19 08:34 AM

8. Ach, Du Lieber Augustine (Alfred All-Time Favourites Book 1) Youtube
9. Over The Rainbow (Alfred Pop Song Piano Book 1) Youtube
10. You Are My Sunshine (APSPB1) Youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/03/19 04:41 PM

10 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.9, La Chasse - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/03/19 05:20 PM

=========== JANUARY===========
1. Guitar Serenade by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner; 2 pages - Key of C major, although not entirely stable in the key)
2. Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi Graded Pieces - Arrangements (Level Preparatory; 2 pages - Key of E minor
4. Time Alone by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner; 2 pages
5. Fantasia in G minor, Georg Philipp Telemann (1681 - 1767), TWV 33:8, Piano (Grade 1 - 1 page)
6. Le Onde by Ludovico Einaudi Graded Pieces - Arrangements (Level Preparatory; 2 pages

=========== FEBRUARY ===========
7. Imitation and Inversion no.25 - Bella Bartok Mikrokosmos Volume 1 - (G Major)
8. I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi Graded Pieces - Arrangements
9. Sarabande by Ludovico Einaudi Graded Pieces - Arrangements
10. Scherzo by Dmitry Kabalevsky - Grade 2
11. Peacefull Calm by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner)
12. Cloudy Day by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner)
13. Repetition no.26 - Bella Bartok Mikrokosmos Volume

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/04/19 06:13 AM

First 10

13) Sonatina, William Duncombe (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>
14) The Can-Can (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
15) The Marine’s Hymn (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/10/19 03:09 PM

11 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.10, Tendre Fleur - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/10/19 04:02 PM

January
5. My Funny Valentine – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
February
6. Moon River – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
7. A Pleasant Morning Op. 63, No. 1 J.L. Streaborg – Masterwork Classics Level 4
8. Menuet in C Major K.6 W.A. Mozart – Masterwork Classics Level 4
March
9. Nature Boy – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/10/19 08:24 PM

I love your Burgmuller series. Really a good interpretation on the last smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/11/19 12:39 PM

3. Little Prelude in C Major (BWV 939) - J.S. Bach <youtube link>
4. Etude in e minor (Op 37, No. 10) - H. Lemoine <youtube link>

After reading some comments I realised that the way I work on pieces does not go along with the concept of this thread (getting assigned only challanging (for me) pieces and not able to squize more time into sight reading easier ones). However I'm going to update my list for 2019 and hopefully reach with number of pieces somewhere near the level I assumed (25 pieces).

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/11/19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Darth

I love your Burgmuller series. Really a good interpretation on the last smile

Thank you very much!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/15/19 05:52 PM

First 10

16) Why Am I Blue? (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
17) Goodbye, from Hachi: A Dog's Tale (Random Simplified Arrangement) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/16/19 02:31 PM

5 Folkevise (Popular melody - from Lyric Pieces, Opus 12, No. 5) <Recording> (by Edvard Grieg)

My #5 is another lyric piece from Grieg's well known opus 12.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/16/19 03:40 PM

4. Etude in e minor (Op 37, No. 10) - H. Lemoine[/b] <youtube link>
5. Polonaise in g minor (BWV Anh 125) - C.P.E. Bach <youtube link>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/17/19 02:33 PM

12 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.11, La Bergeronette - youtube

I made a youtube playlist with the Burgmuller etudes that I have recorded so far, here is the link.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/17/19 03:07 PM

I made a youtube playlist with the Burgmuller etudes that I have recorded so far, here is the link.

You are approaching the milestone half-way point with dogged determination. Good work. BTW, I imagine you are in the small percentage that have made it this far through Burgmüller's Op. 100 and that alone is noteworthy. An earlier thread on Op. 100 ground to a halt at the 20% point.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/18/19 11:46 AM

You are approaching the milestone half-way point with dogged determination. Good work. BTW, I imagine you are in the small percentage that have made it this far through Burgmüller's Op. 100 and that alone is noteworthy. An earlier thread on Op. 100 ground to a halt at the 20% point.

Thank you! I am determined to complete this set, one piece every week. I hope I can make through the harder pieces.
I wasn't aware of that topic. Maybe it is a good idea to share my recordings and thoughts about the etudes there.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/18/19 02:10 PM

Thank you! I am determined to complete this set, one piece every week. I hope I can make through the harder pieces.
I wasn't aware of that topic. Maybe it is a good idea to share my recordings and thoughts about the etudes there.

You could share there. Perhaps you will motivate others to join your quest wink
Posted By: zillybug

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/19/19 10:31 PM

Here is my list so far.
1 A Quiet Song by Nikolay Petrovich Rakov
2, Romance by Reinhold Giliere
3.Wind Master by Robert Schultz
4. Little Waltz, opus 205, no 10 by Cornelius Gurlitt
5.Etude, opus 139, no 7 by Carl Czerny
6.Opus 12, no1 by Moritz Moszkowski
7.Moonlight Reverie by Martha Mier
8. winter splendor by Martha Mier
9.frosted Windowpanes by Martha Mier

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/22/19 05:25 AM

14. Alexander Goedicke, Hopak (Keyboard Musician)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/22/19 07:53 PM

March Update:
16 Seaside Suite: (1) Sailboats in the Wind, N. Faber
17 Volga Boatmen, Faber P.A. Level 4
18 Bouree, Christoph Graupner

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/24/19 01:04 AM

10. Rainy Day Blues - Alfred 2A
11. The Shepherd Plays - T. Salutrinskaya
12. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - Bacharach (arr.)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/24/19 02:43 PM

13 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.12, Adieu - youtube

Youtube playlist with the Burgmuller etudes that I have recorded so far.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/24/19 03:46 PM

Congrats! You've crossed the halfway point!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/25/19 01:30 PM

15. Czerny, Op. 599, No. 23 (Burgmüller, Czerny & Hanon)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/25/19 03:31 PM

3 Einsame Blumen (Lonely Flowers - from Waldszenen, Opus 82) <Recording> (by Robert Schumann)
5 Folkevise (Popular Melody - from Lyric Pieces, Opus 12, No. 5) <Recording> (by Edvard Grieg)
6 Eintritt (Entry - from Waldszenen, Opus 82) <Recording> (by Robert Schumann)

The #6 is another piece from Schumann's opus 82 (Forest Scenes). This one, "Entry", is the very first in the opus. It is the musical equivalent of the beginning of a walk through the forest, to experience the various forest scenes from the opus 82.

Posted By: KevinM

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/25/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoBert

The #6 is another piece from Schumann's opus 82 (Forest Scenes). This one, "Entry", is the very first in the opus. It is the musical equivalent of the beginning of a walk through the forest, to experience the various forest scenes from the opus 82.

This is lovely. I love the playing and the sound of your digital piano. I preferred your playing compared to this faster version which I've been listening to which left me underwhelmed by Maria João Pires. I will have to add this piece to the growing list of pieces I want to learn.

I was going to add a comment on YouTube but it said if I did I would be creating a YouTube channel.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/25/19 07:56 PM

*** January 2019
*** February 2019
12. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Random Lead sheet off the internet)
*** March 2019
13. Abide with Me (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
14. More Love To Thee (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
15. Unchained Melody (Righteous Brothers – The Easy Fake Book)
16. Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day – Youtube/Synthesia) I blame the Synthesia thread for this one grin

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/25/19 07:57 PM

Argh!

While working in YouTube I managed to accidentally delete the "Eintritt" video from my previous post, so I had to upload it again. Which however breaks the video links in the post above.
Since I cannot edit that post anymore, here are the new links:

3 Einsame Blumen (Lonely Flowers - from Waldszenen, Opus 82) <Recording> (by Robert Schumann)
5 Folkevise (Popular Melody - from Lyric Pieces, Opus 12, No. 5) <Recording> (by Edvard Grieg)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/25/19 10:28 PM

Joy of First Year Piano
Denes Agay
1. First Serenade
2. Mysterious Procession
3. On the Merry-Go-Round
4. Old World Melody
5. Spring Morning
6. Cathedral Bells
7. Lullaby for a French Doll
8. Psalm Without Words
9. Shepherd’s Hay
10. On a Country Lane
11. Summer Afternoon

An Intro to Classics to Moderns
Denes Agay
12. Dudelsack - Unknown composer
13. Old German Dance - Michael Praetorius
14. Curtain Raiser - Daniel Gottlob Turk
15. Minuet - Alexander Reinagle

The Classical Piano Method
Method Book 1
Heumann

16. Arrangement by Heumann of Ode to Joy - Beethoven

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/26/19 07:04 PM

First 10

16) Why Am I Blue? (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
17) Goodbye, from Hachi: A Dog's Tale (Random Simplified Arrangement) <SoundCloud>
18) Red Square March (Trinity 2015-2017 syllabus) <SoundCloud>
19) Good People (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
Posted By: MiLu

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/28/19 01:34 PM

Hi,
sorry if I am "off the subject" here, but can anyone tell me which sonatina this is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_uBtEIXPw

Thanks a lot!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/28/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MiLu
Hi,
sorry if I am "off the subject" here, but can anyone tell me which sonatina this is:

Thanks a lot!

I think it’s Sonatina In G Major, Op. 151 No. 1, 3rd Movement (Diabelli).

Check this: https://youtu.be/YD4q38Ka7JE
Posted By: MiLu

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/29/19 10:45 AM

Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the tip Tech-key, it is similar but to be honest it doesn't sound the same to me .....

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/29/19 12:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the tip Tech-key, it is similar but to be honest it doesn't sound the same to me .....

When you find the correct one, please let me know 🙂

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/29/19 12:27 PM

16. Robert Schumann, Moderato (Keyboard Musician)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/30/19 04:54 PM

7. Imitation and Inversion no.25 - Bella Bartok Mikrokosmos Volume 1 - (G Major)
11. Peacefull Calm by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner)
12. Cloudy Day by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Late Beginner)
13. Repetition no.26 - Bella Bartok Mikrokosmos Volume 1
=========== MARCH ===========
14. Arabesque by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Early Intermediate)
15. Dance Song from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena
16. Syncopation #27 Bella Bartok Mikrokosmos Volume 1

March was lower than previously anticipated. I started composing!!! So that took some time away from playing.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/30/19 06:47 PM

1- C. Petzold - Minuet in G major (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV 114)<Soundcloud>
2- C. Petzold - Minuet in G minor (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV 115)<Soundcloud>
3- R. Schumann - Melody (Album für die Jugend Op. 68 no. 1) <Soundcloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 03/31/19 08:45 PM

14 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.13, Consolation - youtube

Congrats! You've crossed the halfway point!

Now that is true, just recorded the 13th piece! smile
Posted By: Marianne Hislop

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/01/19 01:01 AM

Sign me up to please. Though I will need to find instructions on how to upload videos etc. Still finding my way around these forums. smile. How do you reply. I noticed others have an ongoing list. Do just keep copying and pasting and adding the new piece to the bottom?

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/01/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marianne Hislop
Sign me up to please. Though I will need to find instructions on how to upload videos etc.

To upload a video, create an account on Youtube.com. Videos can be uploaded there (you can also set them during the upload process as "unlisted" so they can not be found using search on Youtube.com, only if you give the link). After uploading, Youtube will give you a direct link to the video. Use this link it gives to link to your from your messages in your post. You can also insert the video directly in a message by putting "[video:youtube]" before your link and "[/video]" after your link like so:

[video:youtube]http://youtube.com/somelinktomyvideo[/video]

Still finding my way around these forums. smile. How do you reply.

Under and toward the right of the message you want to reply to are four buttons: "Reply," "Quote," "Report," and "Email Post." Click on the "Quote" button and in the "Quick Reply" window at the very bottom will appear the message you are replying to. If you are just trying to amend your message by adding some new pieces, your message will start with a "[quote=Marianne Hislop]" and end with a "[/quote]". First, just delete both of these, so-called "tags," and then second, add the new piece(s) at the end of your list. Click "Post Reply" as you would do normally.

I noticed others have an ongoing list. Do just keep copying and pasting and adding the new piece to the bottom?

A lot of people do this. You can if you wish. Some people also add links to videos or audio files of their pieces. You can also do that if you wish.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/01/19 09:22 AM

January
February
7. A Pleasant Morning Op. 63, No. 1 J.L. Streaborg – Masterwork Classics Level 4
March
10. The sick doll – Tchaikovsky – Album for the Young
11 Mad World – Tears for Fears

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/03/19 04:51 PM

6. Sonatina in C Major 3rd mov (Op 36. No 1/3) - M. Clementi <youtube link> (had to refresh it a bit from few lessons before, but recording has some resonance finally thanks to newest DP software update from Kawai :D, 2nd movement in progress)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/06/19 01:58 PM

16. Robert Schumann, Moderato (Keyboard Musician)
17. Daniel Gottlob Türk, The Dancing Master (Keyboard Musician)
18. Bartók, Adagio (Keyboard Musician)
19. Franz Hoffmeister, German Dance - Primo & Secondo (Keyboard Musician)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/07/19 01:29 PM

15 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.14, La Styrienne - youtube

Posted By: StasNick

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/08/19 01:10 PM

Hello everyone!
My new records this year:

• 01. Krylatov - Alice's appearance (Крылатов - Появление Алисы) (Record >>)
  • 02. Pachelbel - Canon in D major, P.37 (Record >>)
  • 03. Chopin - Prelude, Op. 28, No. 7 (Record >>)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/09/19 01:06 AM

Hello everyone. I'm joining in.
My pieces for 2019.

1. Ol' Rockin' Chair Blues - Martha Mier Ol' Rockin Chair Blues
2. Just Struttin' Along - Martha Mier Just Struttin Along
3. Ragtime Do Si Do = Martha Mier Ragtime Do-Si-Do
4. Surfboard Boogie - Martha Mier Surfboard Boogie
5. Don't Wanna Leave You Blue - Martha Mier Don't Wanna Leave You Blue
6. Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody
7. La donna e mobile - ABRSM Grade 1 - Classical selection. La donna e mobile
8. The Lonely Road 3 - Felix Swinstead - 2019 ABRSM Grade 1 romantic selection The Lonely Road

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/10/19 10:44 AM

Previous Entries

20) The Swing Detectives (Trinity 2015-2017 syllabus) <SoundCloud>
21) Little Brown Jug (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/11/19 03:57 AM

Marianne Hislop]Hello everyone. I'm joining in.
My pieces for 2019.

8. The Lonely Road 3 - Felix Swinstead - 2019 ABRSM Grade 1 romantic selection The Lonely Road
9. Happy Day - Ian King - Happy Day

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/15/19 12:42 AM

16 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.15, Ballade - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/15/19 09:53 PM

January
February
March
11. On A Clear Day – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
12. My Favourite Things – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
April
13. A Day In The Life – The Beatles Complete
14. Eleanor Rigby – The Beatles Complete

I have a new piano tutor who is taking me back to basics. I'm learning more classical pieces, increased scales practice, and have been advised to buy a beginners sight reading book.

15. Pages 1 – 9 – Improve your sight reading! Paul Harris Grade 1

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/17/19 09:07 PM

Update for March & April, slowing down, songs taking longer to learn:
19 Seaside Suite: (#2) Mysterious Cove, N. Faber
20 Chanson, N. Faber
21 Caspian Sea, T&A, Lv 4, Artistry Magic, N.F.
22 Seaside Suite: (3) Surfboards, N. Faber

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/19/19 07:27 AM

My pieces for 2019.

10. Melancholia: One by Daniel McFarlane Melancholia: One
11. Happy Birthday in the style of Mozart - Composer ???Happy Birthday Mozart Style

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/21/19 03:02 PM

17 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.16, Douce Plainte - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/25/19 08:11 PM

6. Sonatina in C Major 3rd mov (Op 36. No 1/3) - M. Clementi <youtube link>
7. Sonatina in C Major 2nd mov (Op 36. No 1/2) - M. Clementi <youtube link> (gathering whole thing now, have to relearn 1st mov)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/27/19 12:50 PM

It's been a while since I've recorded anything, but four new recordings today (only three of which were 'new pieces'. A lovely waltz by a lady who contacted me on YouTube about a month ago, a lovely little children's song from Austria, and an age-old classic by Burgmüller.

17 J.S. Bach - Menuet fait par Mons. Böhm (Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, No. 21)
20 Nicoline van Goor – Potterwaltz
21 Friedrich Burgmüller - La Candeur (Op. 100, No. 1)
22 Jenő Takács - Playing in the Rain (Op. 76, No. 1)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/29/19 01:06 AM

18 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.17, Babillarde - youtube
19 - Schumann Op.68 No.1, Melody - youtube
20 - Bach BWV 784, Invention No.13 in A minor - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/29/19 01:37 PM

My pieces for 2019.

11. Happy Birthday in the style of Mozart - Composer ???Happy Birthday Mozart Style
12. Sleepsong - From The Secret Garden Sleepsong

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 04/29/19 06:42 PM

*** January 2019
*** February 2019
12. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Random Lead sheet off the internet)
*** March 2019
13. Abide with Me (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
14. More Love To Thee (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
15. Unchained Melody (Righteous Brothers – The Easy Fake Book)
16. Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day – Youtube/Synthesia) I blame the Synthesia thread for this one laugh
*** April 2019
17. We Gather Together (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
18. Praise To The Lord (Religious Favorites - Bastien)
19. Carnival of Venice (Faber Piano Adventures Performance Book 3A)
20. Long, Long Ago (Faber Piano Adventures Performance Book 3A)
21. Here Comes The Sun (The Beatles Best: Easy Piano, Dan Fox arranger)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/03/19 11:07 PM

14. Arabesque by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1 (Level - Early Intermediate)

=========== APRIL ===========
17. Bartok Dialog #3 from The First Term On the Piano
18. Bartok - Village Dance or Hungarian Song
19. Stravinsky - Walking Piece

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/03/19 11:39 PM

April/May Update:
23 Gypsy Legend, Kalman Chovan
24 Ceremony for Peace-D Maj
25 Colors of the Wind ,from Pocahontas, A.Menken
26 Return of the Scale Monster Op.599, No.69 C.Czerny
Posted By: BigIslandGuy

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/04/19 03:17 PM

Wow. You guys are fast! It took me two years to learn the 30 Goldberg variations.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/04/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy
Wow. You guys are fast! It took me two years to learn the 30 Goldberg variations.

Yes, the material that we learn is just on another level compared to that child's play!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/04/19 10:47 PM

21 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.18, Inquietitude - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/06/19 10:19 PM

Updating my list: 😀

The Joy of First Year Piano
Denes Agay

1. First Serenade
2. Mysterious Procession
3. On the Merry-Go-Round
4. Old World Melody
5. Spring Morning
6. Cathedral Bells
8. Psalm without Words
9. Shepherd’s Hay
10. On a Country Lane
11. Summer Afternoon

Denes Agay

Method Book 1
Heumann

16. Arrangement by Heumann of Ode to Joy- Beethoven

Repertoire Collection 1
Heumann

17. Melody No. 12 from L’ABC dunPiano - Couppey
18. March - Kuffner, Arr: Heumann
19. Hansel and Gretel- German Folk Song, Arr: Heumann
20. Lullaby - Melody from Salzburg, Arr: Heumann
21. Rock Fever - Heumann

The Joy of First - Year Piano
Denes Agay

22. Playful Dialogue- German Children’s Song
23. Roundelay
24. Fiddler’s Holiday
25. Miniature Sonatina
Posted By: BigIslandGuy

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/07/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Keselo
Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy

Yes, the material that we learn is just on another level compared to that child's play!

LOL. You put a smile on my face. Carry on. smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/07/19 03:42 AM

And one I can’t believe I forgot to put on my updated list given the weeks I spent on it! Gavotte by Handel from Intro to Classics to Moderns 🥳 so current grand total is 26 🥳

Denes Agay

1. First Serenade
2. Mysterious Procession
3. On the Merry-Go-Round
4. Old World Melody
5. Spring Morning
6. Cathedral Bells
8. Psalm without Words
9. Shepherd’s Hay
10. On a Country Lane
11. Summer Afternoon

Denes Agay

Method Book 1
Heumann

Repertoire Collection 1
Heumann

21. Rock Fever - Heumann

Denes Agay

23. Roundelay
24. Fiddler’s Holiday
25. Miniature Sonatina

Introduction to Classics to Moderns
Denes Agay

26. Gavotte - George Frederic Handel

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/07/19 07:46 PM

7 Old French Song (from Children's Album, Opus 39) <Recording> (by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky)

A short easy piece as my #7. My first Tchaikovsky, I think...

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/08/19 07:08 AM

1. Cotton Reel - Nikki Iles
2. Moody Prawn Blues - Franklyn Gellnick
3. The Bonny Gray Ey'd Morn - Jeremiah Clarke
4. Never Enough - The Greatest Showman
5. Air on the G String - from 100 Most Beautiful Piano Solos
6. Lesson in C - Diabelli

7. Minuet (Kp. 40) - Scarlatti
8. Tempo di Menuetto - J. N. Hummel
9. La Lutin - J. P. Kirnberger
10. Cancion para dormir una muneca - Antonio Estevez
11. Hej, znam ja laczke - Feliks Rybicki
12. Indian Pony Race - D. C. Glover
13. In the Shed - Mike Cornick
14. Just Struttin' Along - Martha Mier
15. Don't Wanna Leave You Blues - Martha Mier
16. Seventh Street Blues - Martha Mier
17. Former Friends - Bartok
18. A Funny Story - Shostakovich
19. Old Money - Lana Del Rey

Although I have not been very good at keeping my list up to date I have been learning lots of new pieces. I am very optimistic that I will successfully complete the challenge and am really enjoying the variety of pieces I've been playing.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/09/19 09:05 AM

Previous Entries

22) Auld Lang Syne (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
23) Jericho (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
24) Arioso, Turk (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>
25) Greensleeves (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
26) The Entertainer (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <The Entertainer>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/11/19 10:55 PM

January
February
March
12. My Favourite Things – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
April

I have a new piano tutor who is taking me back to basics. I'm learning more classical pieces, increased scales practice, and have been advised to buy a beginners sight reading book.

16. Addicted To Love – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
17. American Pie – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
18. Careless Whisper – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
19. Flashdance – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
20. Bette Davis Eyes – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
21. Etude in A Minor Op. 27, No. 3 Dimitri Kabalevsky – Masterwork Classics Level 5
22. Angels' Voices Op. 100, No. 21 Burgmuller – Masterwork Classics Level 5
23. Andantino Aram Khachaturian – Masterwork Classics Level 5

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/12/19 05:37 PM

22 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.19, Ave Maria - youtube
23 - Schumann Op.68 No.2, Soldier's March - youtube
24 - C. Petzold - Bach Anna Magdalena Notebook No.5 - Menuet BWV Anhang 115 - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/15/19 07:09 PM

7 Old French Song (from Children's Album, Opus 39) <Recording> (by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky)
8 Adagio (KV 540) <Recording> (by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

I was inspired to learn this by a thread here in the forum.
For the recording, I played it without the repeats, so that it wouldn't get too long.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/16/19 08:28 AM

6. Sonatina in C Major 3rd mov (Op 36. No 1/3) - M. Clementi <youtube link>
7. Sonatina in C Major 2nd mov (Op 36. No 1/2) - M. Clementi <youtube link>
8. Gigue in C Major (Sarabande con Partite in C Major, BWV 990, Var 16) - J.S. Bach <youtube link>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/16/19 09:16 PM

Middle May Update:
27 Surfboard Boogie/Mier
28 Seventh Street Blues / Mier
29 Sneaky Business / Mier
30 Downright Happy Rag / Mier
31 A Neat Beat / Mier
32 Summer Solstice-PAL4
33 The Blue Danube-PAL4
34 Wild Flowers -PAL4

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/19/19 11:58 PM

24 - C. Petzold - Bach Anna Magdalena Notebook No.5 - Menuet BWV Anhang 115 - youtube
25 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.20, Tarantella - youtube
26 - Bach Notebook for Anna Magdalena No.7 - Menuet BWV Anhang 116 - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/25/19 03:01 PM

1- C. Petzold - Minuet in G major (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV 114)<Soundcloud>
2- C. Petzold - Minuet in G minor (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV 115)<Soundcloud>
4- Anon. - Minuet in G (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV 126)<Soundcloud>
5- R. Schumann - Soldatenmarsch (Album für die Jugend Op. 68 no. 2) <Soundcloud>

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/26/19 04:10 PM

With my pedal back to normal I could finally record three pieces which have been ready for some time. The Koechlin, which uses no pedal whatsoever, was a surprise during my recording session; I expected it to need another week but I got a first-take recording that I was pretty happy with.

23 Dmitri Kabalevsky - Waltz (Op. 39, No. 23)
24 Charles Koechlin – Andantino (Op. 208, No. 1)
25 Alexander Grechaninov – Lullaby (Op. 98, No. 9)
26 Cesar Franck – Chant de la Creuse

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 05/26/19 11:38 PM

27 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.21, Harmonie des Anges - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/03/19 02:20 AM

28 - Schumann Op.68 No.3, Humming Song - youtube
29 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.22, Barcarolle - youtube

Posted By: Ilay

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/06/19 08:51 AM

Hi everyone!
I'm Ilya I'm not sure if it's late or not, but I'd like to join as well smile

Even all of you lovely ppl are already halfway through, I'm really motivated to catch up and show you what I've got.
This is my 45th day of playing piano and I'm currently omw to ABRSM grade 1 (or 2 as the exam is in 150 days).

Will record something and post update soon.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/08/19 03:28 AM

Marianne Hislop]My pieces for 2019.

12. Sleepsong - From The Secret Garden Sleepsong
13. Seventh Street Blues - Martha Mier Seventh Street Blues]
14. Sonatina in G - Jane Smisor Bastien Sonatina in G]

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/08/19 09:10 PM

=========== APRIL ===========
17. Bartok Dialog #3 from The First Term On the Piano
18. Bartok Village Dance
19. Stravinsky Walking Piece

=========== MAY ===========
20. A Memory by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1
21. Sailboats in the Sea by Rick Robertson from Kaleidoscope Volume 1
22. Song of the Vagabond by Bela Bartok
23. Bartok Dialog #4 from The First Term On the Piano

24. Bartok Imitation Reflected - Mikrokosmos Volume 1 #29

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/08/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Snejana
24. Bartok Imitation Reflected - Mikrokosmos Volume 1 #29

Just finished Nos. 26 & 27 myself yesterday. I think I will do Nos. 28 & 29 today!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/09/19 02:23 PM

January
February
March
April

16. Addicted To Love – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
17. American Pie – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
18. Careless Whisper – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
19. Flashdance – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
20. Bette Davis Eyes – Volume 1 The Real Pop Book
21. Etude in A Minor Op. 27, No. 3 Dimitri Kabalevsky – Masterwork Classics Level 5
22. Angels' Voices Op. 100, No. 21 Burgmuller – Masterwork Classics Level 5
23. Andantino Aram Khachaturian – Masterwork Classics Level 5
May
24. Let's Face The Music And Dance – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
25. Satin Doll – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
26. My Baby Just Cares For Me – The Hal Leonard Real Jazz Standards Fake Book 2nd Edition
27. Clowning – Thirty Pieces For Children – Dimitri Kabalevsky

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/10/19 01:36 AM

30 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.23, Retour - youtube

Only two etudes left to finish the set! smile
Posted By: BatyaGeee

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/10/19 02:10 AM

I'm so excited! I hope you have a lovely reward planned.

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/11/19 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by BatyaGeee

I'm so excited! I hope you have a lovely reward planned.

Well, I haven't thought about any reward, that is a good idea! I should give myself a nice grand piano grin
Haha, only in my dreams.... for now.
Actually, I think I just bought my reward, a ticket for seeing Anna Fedorova perform Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto. I am really excited about that, she is one of my favorite pianists!

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/11/19 07:24 AM

01 - The Egyptian Level (ABRSM grade 1 2019 syllabus) - 11.06.19 - YouTube Video

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/12/19 04:27 PM

Denes Agay

1. First Serenade
2. Mysterious Procession
3. On the Merry-Go-Round
4. Old World Melody
5. Spring Morning
6. Cathedral Bells
8. Psalm without Words
9. Shepherd’s Hay
10. On a Country Lane
11. Summer Afternoon

Denes Agay

Method Book 1
Heumann

Repertoire Collection 1
Heumann

21. Rock Fever - Heumann

Denes Agay

23. Roundelay
24. Fiddler’s Holiday
25. Miniature Sonatina

Introduction to Classics to Moderns
Denes Agay

26. Gavotte - George Frederic Handel

Updates June 12, 2019

The Joy of First-Year Piano
Denes Agay

27. Dancing Raindrops
28. The Railroad Corral
29. Cotillion Polka
30. Sailor’s Dance
31. At the Circus

Repertoire Collection 1
Heumann

32. Oragnia figata fa, Arr: Heumann (Mozart)
33. For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow (the Bear Went Over the Mountain), Arr: Heumann

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/15/19 03:40 PM

1- C. Petzold - Minuet in G major (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV Anh. II 114)<Soundcloud>
2- C. Petzold - Minuet in G minor (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV Anh. II 115)<Soundcloud>
4- Anon. - Minuet in G (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV Anh. II 116)<Soundcloud>
5- R. Schumann - Soldatenmarsch (Album für die Jugend Op. 68 no. 2) <Soundcloud>
6- Yann Tiersenn - Comptine D'une Autre été: L'après-midi (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain) <Soundcloud>
7- Anon. - Musette in D (Notebook for Anna Magdalena BWV Anh. II 126) <Soundcloud>
Posted By: GIJack

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/16/19 02:04 PM

Finally got round to posting first piece.
1. Argentina - William Gillock (Accent on Solos Complete Edition) YouTube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/16/19 02:26 PM

Another short and calm piece by Koechlin and an epic Ballad full of dissonance, conflict, and beautiful resolutions. How much I adore the Takacs piece can't be put into words, tremendous piece of music.

23 Dmitri Kabalevsky - Waltz (Op. 39, No. 23)
24 Charles Koechlin – Andantino (Op. 208, No. 1)
25 Alexander Grechaninov – Lullaby (Op. 98, No. 9)
26 Cesar Franck – Chant de la Creuse
27 Charles Koechlin – Sans lenteur pour la noire (Op. 208, No. 4)
28 Jenő Takács - Ballad of the Bad Knight (Op. 111, No. 8)

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/16/19 10:31 PM

30 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.23, Retour - youtube
30 - Burgmuller Op.100 No.24, L'Hirondalle - youtube

Only one etude left to finish the set! smile

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/18/19 07:26 AM

01 - The Egyptian Level (ABRSM grade 1 2019 syllabus) - 11.06.19 - YouTube Video
02 - Brahms - Wiegenlied (ABRSM grade 1 2019 syllabus) - 18.06.19 - YouTube Video

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/24/19 01:17 AM

1 to 25 - Burgmuller Op.100, 25 Progressive etudes - Youtube playlist
26 - Liszt S.172 No.1, Consolation No.1 - youtube
27 - Schumann Op.68 No.1, Melody - youtube
28 - Bach BWV 784, Invention No.13 in A minor - youtube
29 - Schumann Op.68 No.2, Soldier's March - youtube
30 - C. Petzold - Bach Anna Magdalena Notebook No.5 - Menuet BWV Anhang 115 - youtube
31 - Bach Notebook for Anna Magdalena No.7 - Menuet BWV Anhang 116 - youtube
32 - Schumann Op.68 No.3, Humming Song - youtube

I finished all 25 Burgmuller progressive etudes! Here is the last one that I`ve just recorded:

Burgmuller Op.100 No.25, La Chevaleresque - youtube

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/24/19 09:39 AM

Previous Entries

26) The Stranger (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
27) Go Down, Moses (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
28) Scarborough Fair (Alfred's AIO, Level 1) <SoundCloud>
29) Raisins and Almonds (Alfred's AIO, Level 1)
30) He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands (Alfred's AIO, Level 1)
31) Russian Folk Song, Beethoven (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>
32) Little Conversation, Gurlitt (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>
33) Minuet, Alexander Reinagle (Trinity Grade 1, 2018-2020) <SoundCloud>
34) Sunrise on the Matterhorn, Catherine Rollin (Trinity Grade 3, 2018-2020) <SoundCloud>
35) Minuet in A Minor, Kreiger (Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1) <SoundCloud>

I finished all 25 Burgmuller progressive etudes! Here is the last one that I`ve just recorded:

Burgmuller Op.100 No.25, La Chevaleresque - youtube

Congrats, facdo!! What a wonderful accomplishment! smile yippie

Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2019 - 06/25/19 01:12 AM

My update for middle of June 2019:
35 A Midsummer Night's Dream/Streabbog
36 Farewell to Fiunary / Norman MacLeod
37 Be Our Guest; Faber FunTime 3A-3B
38 Edelweiss, Faber FunTime 3A-3B
39 Gigue in A Major, Faber Lesson Book Level 4
40 Yellow Submarine, Beetles, Faber FunTime 3A-3B
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums