Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Bart K Hello - 02/18/15 11:52 AM
Hey, I don't know where to post this. I just subscribed and wanted to say Hi.

Although this is called the "Adult Beginner Forum" it looks like you guys are a lot more advanced than I am laugh. I started practicing seriously only 3 months ago but I'm liking it a lot. I browsed these forums and other internet resources in search of general info and recommendations for a piano. I settled for a Kawai CN34, which is way more expensive than I initially planned (at first I intended to buy a Roland RP-401R). Ordered and will be here on Friday. I just can't wait!
Posted By: malkin Re: Hello - 02/18/15 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forum!
We've all been beginners at one time or another.
Posted By: Jytte Re: Hello - 02/18/15 12:38 PM
Welcome to PW! Some of us are very much beginners, I'm on the 3 month mark as well. Congrats on your new piano!
Posted By: chopinoholic Re: Hello - 02/18/15 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forum! Have a lot of fun playing your new piano. And never stop playing!
Posted By: Anita Potter Re: Hello - 02/18/15 01:38 PM
*waves*

I'm another 3 month beginner. The people here are really nice and if you need anything just ask smile
Posted By: SwissMS Re: Hello - 02/18/15 01:51 PM
Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of friendly people here of all playing levels.
Posted By: CarlosCC Re: Hello - 02/18/15 02:36 PM
Welcome to PW. You're in the right place!
Posted By: earlofmar Re: Hello - 02/18/15 08:28 PM
Welcome and it will be surprising how in a very short period of time you will be celebrating your first year, second third, major performance smile

You will never regret spending the extra money on your piano, it will be your friend for a long time
Posted By: BrianDX Re: Hello - 02/18/15 09:55 PM
Welcome! I owned a CN34 before buying our grand. It is a real nice digital piano.

Best of luck in your pursuits.
Posted By: Whizbang Re: Hello - 02/19/15 02:25 AM
Welcome!
Posted By: Medden Re: Hello - 02/19/15 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forum qazsedcft.
I own a CN34, and love it. It was worth spending that little bit extra on.
If you have any questions and can't find the answer in the manual, feel free to PM me.
Posted By: Agfinguy Re: Hello - 02/19/15 10:19 AM
Welcome, I'm a two month beginner and have found great tips and motivation reading through all the post.

I check the forum every day to see what people have posted.

Enjoy!

Posted By: Bart K Re: Hello - 02/19/15 12:05 PM
Wow, I didn't expect such a warm welcome! Thanks! Now I'm even more eager to get my new piano...still one more day to wait. frown
Posted By: Jytte Re: Hello - 02/19/15 12:19 PM
Don't forget to take pictures! We love pictures smile
Posted By: Bsw Re: Hello - 02/19/15 01:11 PM
Welcome. I'm also a beginner, 4 months. I read posts almost daily and have found them quite helpful.
Posted By: BrianDX Re: Hello - 02/19/15 01:30 PM
I'm really delighted to see so many beginners joining our ABF "family" lately.

It's hard to keep track of everyone here; here's an idea: Could one of you folks start a thread here called something like "impressions from a true beginner" (or simply keep this one going) where you could formally introduce yourself, plus let us know how your search of a teacher, instrument, lesson material, etc. is going.

Of course, achievements and little victories can be bragged about, and most importantly, questions can be raised and commented on by the more experienced folks here.

I was already into my lessons for 8 months before I discovered this forum. Boy, the ABF would have helped me out in those rough beginning months.

Just a thought...
Posted By: Bart K Re: Hello - 02/20/15 10:25 AM
I haven't seen a welcome thread anywhere but it's a good idea.

A bit more about myself then. I'm in Poland but lived quite a few years in Canada. I fooled around a bit with piano playing about a decade ago but nothing really serious and now at 35 I took it up again, this time more motivated than ever. smile

I practiced about a month on my own and then got a teacher. One of the first things he made me do was to practice everything portato (I was playing legato as a default articulation). We only started legato a couple of lessons ago and staccato just this week. I'm quite glad I found this teacher and PW. I lurked here since about Christmas and you guys surely have given some good tips.

One thing that annoys me though is the different terminology used here in Poland. We use the German note names which includes H instead of B and -es/-is instead of flat/sharp. It's confusing because I'm more used to the standard English terminology so when my teacher asks me to play B he means B-flat. I guess I'll get used to it.

@Jytte: 3 months and you're playing Bach Menuet in G! shocked I can only play really simple songs like le roi Dagobert and Jingle Bells! laugh
Posted By: UKIkarus Re: Hello - 02/20/15 10:45 AM
Some people tend to post in here

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/459148/26.html

but it doesn't really stand out as many beginners tend to go to the adult beginner forum smile
Posted By: Jytte Re: Hello - 02/20/15 11:52 AM
I had the same 'problem' when I first got here, not knowing what to do and where. There is a 'introduce yourself' somewhere, which I only saw months later, it's hard to find.

It might be a good idea with a 'welcome thread', but it would have to have a pretty obvious header, like 'Newbies, sign in here' or 'Welcome, start here' laugh
and it has to 'stay on top' or nobody sees it. A thread not posted to in a few days gets buried pages down quick, and we don't see it.

Frank?
Posted By: Jytte Re: Hello - 02/20/15 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by qazsedcft
@Jytte: 3 months and you're playing Bach Menuet in G! shocked I can only play really simple songs like le roi Dagobert and Jingle Bells! laugh

My teacher has a different approach. Like you I wanted to play everything legato, fingers almost glued to the keys (among other interest wrong things), so I had a very hard time on the demanded staccato laugh But I learned a lot from this piece.

And today is Friday! Should be your happy-piano-day smile
Posted By: Bart K Re: Hello - 02/20/15 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jytte
And today is Friday! Should be your happy-piano-day smile

Yes, it's here already! grin

But I still have to focus on work for the next hour... so hard! frown
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums