Piano World Home Page
Posted By: kenjazz February Piano Bar - 02/01/14 01:31 PM
While most of you are frantically preparing your pieces for Recital #33, I'll open the February Piano Bar.

I really needed something to shake off these Polar Vortex Blues (good name for a song BTW) in the frigid Boston area. Here is a take on Morning Dance by Spyro Gyra. Spyro Gyra was a popular jazz fusion band in the US in the mid-1970s. I don't know if they were popular outside of the US, but for those of us of a "certain age", you couldn't help but be influenced by their uplifting music.

I'll also offer this patently absurd video to go along with the song if you need more uplifting...

Morning Dance

Morning Dance Blog
Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/01/14 07:23 PM
A little jam from last Thursday. Just in time for the bar.

Afro Blue
https://app.box.com/s/sbc3yyl3ssn7598j0sm1

Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/01/14 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by kenjazz
While most of you are frantically preparing your pieces for Recital #33, I'll open the February Piano Bar.

I really needed something to shake off these Polar Vortex Blues (good name for a song BTW) in the frigid Boston area. Here is a take on Morning Dance by Spyro Gyra. Spyro Gyra was a popular jazz fusion band in the US in the mid-1970s. I don't know if they were popular outside of the US, but for those of us of a "certain age", you couldn't help but be influenced by their uplifting music.

I'll also offer this patently absurd video to go along with the song if you need more uplifting...

Morning Dance

Morning Dance Blog

Wow -- that's just super Ken. I think I'll have to learn this tune. Spyro Gyra is still popular and is frequently heard on Smooth Jazz radio here. Such a great recording and you're making that piano sound just heavenly.

SWEET!
Posted By: piano_primo Part 1 Clair de Lune - 02/01/14 09:04 PM
I'm dividing this piece into divisions to practice , this is the first. Any tips would help.
[video]

Claire de Lune Piano practice 1 from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

[/video]
The coloring is for effect... (lol)
it's built on a chromatic scale.
Posted By: kenjazz Re: February Piano Bar - 02/01/14 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Afro Blue

Your solo was awesome! So much movement within that vamp. Was there a model that you guys were shooting for? This wasn't quite the Mongo Santamaria or the Coltrane version either. Is there someone else that you heard do it this way, or is this the band's innovation? Either way it sounds great.
Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by kenjazz

Afro Blue

Your solo was awesome! So much movement within that vamp. Was there a model that you guys were shooting for? This wasn't quite the Mongo Santamaria or the Coltrane version either. Is there someone else that you heard do it this way, or is this the band's innovation? Either way it sounds great.

Thanks Ken! We just use Afro blue is a platform for any minor vamp so yes, it is a band thing and was not intended to copy Mongo or Coltrane. Afro blue just gives a 3/4 minor vamp rhythmic platform. Really fun to do because they're so unpredictable. If the singer wasn't strumming a guitar I'd have more freedom. We'd probably play it free. But sometimes putting a limit makes one more imaginative.

BTW the singer sang it in a different key (without stating it) so there was initial panic....LOL.

Posted By: FarmGirl Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 08:59 AM
My first take of Bach prelude f minor from Book I. I decided to record something everyday. It's good. I am finding all the kind of improvement needs. Goal is to make it better my recital on March 1st. Fugue won't be ready until ready. I have not started it yet.

The strange sound you hear is, oh, shoot, I'm counting.

Posted By: FarmGirl Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 09:03 AM
Ken - nice tune. Love it. also love your family picture. both babies, I mean.
Pianonewbie - that's a beautiful piece. It may take a long time but it's worth it. I think it's kind of the piece people come back to time and time again.
Posted By: kenjazz Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Ken - nice tune. Love it. also love your family picture. both babies, I mean.

HaHa. Thank you FarmGirl and Jazzwee for the nice comments. But those are not my kids! I just found the cutest possible kids, babies and puppies frolicking that I could find on the internet that would go along with an uplifting Morning Dance...
Posted By: kenjazz Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 01:39 PM

Pianonewbie - that's a beautiful piece. It may take a long time but it's worth it. I think it's kind of the piece people come back to time and time again.

Pianonewbie - I agree with Farmgirl on this one. My Mother-in-Law plays this so beautifully. She learned it as one of her first pieces and has it locked into muscle memory. Of all the pieces that she knows, it is the one that she always returns to.

Farmgirl - That didn't sound like a first attempt to me! Very nice.
Posted By: jazzwee Re: Part 1 Clair de Lune - 02/02/14 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by pianonewbie1
I'm dividing this piece into divisions to practice , this is the first. Any tips would help.
[video]
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/85610424"
width="500" height="375" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/85610424">Claire de Lune Piano practice 1 </a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user23104365">Pianonewbie1</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
[/video]
The coloring is for effect... (lol)
it's built on a chromatic scale.

Lovely playing Pianonewbie1! Looking forward to the rest of the piece.
Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 05:43 PM
My first take of Bach prelude f minor from Book I. I decided to record something everyday. It's good. I am finding all the kind of improvement needs. Goal is to make it better my recital on March 1st. Fugue won't be ready until ready. I have not started it yet.

The strange sound you hear is, oh, shoot, I'm counting.

Hey FarmGirl, that sounded great! Volume is a little low though (for next time).
Posted By: Inlanding Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 06:52 PM
Ken, it's been a long time since hearing Syro Gyra! Great smooth jazz tune you chose and your playing is ever-growing more relaxed and confident with each submission - thanks for your music, Ken - Love that compilation of dancing children, too - a fun way to start a Sunday morning, or any morning for that matter!

Jazzwee~ the interplay between you and your players is fantastic! Your bass player's got some serious chops. The accompaniment and solo you put forth sounds very second-nature to you - it's been very interesting and inspiring to me following your development over the past few years. Your musical vocabulary has grown exponentially! The folks in the club are really tuned in to your music.

pianonewbie1 - Claire de Lune is such a beautiful piece of music and it certainly is worthy of learning in parts. The fingering is tricky in a few sections and I am interested in watching how you work through those. Look forward to hearing the final version.

FarmGirl~ Your Bach is quite nice. As a first take for that Prelude, you play it very relaxed and no doubt you'll be ready to present it for your March recital.

Glen
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 07:58 PM
Guys thanks for your warm comments. Your words gave me courage. I was mulling the idea to post it in the member recording section of the pianist corner because I do need people's advise on the piece. I don't know how to take it further from trills to dynamics within a month until my recital. I probably will receive VERY direct feedback there. So coming her first and getting your warm review was very important for me. Thanks.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 08:03 PM
Blimey, this place is frenetic at the moment! Everything`s happening; Can`t keep up . . . Here`s an old `un . . .Poor old Roberta must be turning in her grave. If she`s dead that is . . . .

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=izA6htJVWYg[/video]
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 08:12 PM
kenjazz
Ken, that was really something! Kids tell their own story. Little black lad got me. Future boxer? With a smile on his face? That`d be a first!
Lovely slow bossa. Real easy listening jazz. Gotta give it a crack soon . . .
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 08:23 PM

Afro Blue

You`re having far too much fun! Really great atmospherics there. I could smell the cigarette smoke (in my dreams) taste the beer . . . wonderful stuff. Touch of "The Doors" in your playing?
Posted By: peterws Re: Part 1 Clair de Lune - 02/02/14 08:27 PM
pianonewbie1
You have a methodical approach here which will bear fruit. Time produces fluency and you`ll soon have more of this under your belt. Well done!
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 08:33 PM
FarmGirl

It`s easy to see why some folk are stuck in a genre. Some genre! Who couldn`t lose themselves in Bach? Like shopping at the supermarket. Too much choice now isn`t there? Lovely job, girl, and a clean recording (could be louder, mind). Is that one of the "48"?
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 08:58 PM
Peter yes it is number 12 of the book 1. You are absolutely right for the choices. I would like to learn to play well. After I decided it I realized that I actually don't know how. Or should I say that I have realized that I don't have experience of bringing anything to performance level.
Posted By: Inlanding Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 09:08 PM
To add to the mix this early February, here's a short Chopin Prelude No. 6, Op. 28, b-min. A bit slower than I'd like - and like all pieces, they are subject to change the next time they are played...

https://app.box.com/shared/9k5qm0vt47

Glen
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 09:53 PM
FarmGirl

"Or should I say that I have realized that I don't have experience of bringing anything to performance level. . ."

You could be your own worst critic here. I think the same about myself often; there are so many talented people out there. But I don`t reckon I concern myself overmuch. Mistakes are like hitting a hedge and driving through it . . .without slowing down . . .What fun!

Your work sounds lovely.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/02/14 09:58 PM
Inlanding

Didn`t think it was Chopin. Yes, it was a tad sad but very tuneful particularly in the bass. Seems to me you play most things and you play `em well too. Have fun!
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/03/14 05:33 AM
Kenjazz; I really loved your Morning Dance rendition.. Thanks for reminding me of this great jazz tune! thumb

Here's a tune written by Hoagy Carmichael and made famous by Ray Charles:

GEORGIA ON MY MIND

Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/03/14 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Inlanding

Jazzwee~ the interplay between you and your players is fantastic! Your bass player's got some serious chops. The accompaniment and solo you put forth sounds very second-nature to you - it's been very interesting and inspiring to me following your development over the past few years. Your musical vocabulary has grown exponentially! The folks in the club are really tuned in to your music.

Glen

Thanks so much Glen. Someone recently made a comment that I had no vocabulary so you have no idea how your comment is appreciated smile Now if I can only have your chops I'll be in good shape.

BTW this is really a trio (vocalist's guitar is only rhythm) so I have to carry the load now.

Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/03/14 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by peterws
Blimey, this place is frenetic at the moment! Everything`s happening; Can`t keep up . . . Here`s an old `un . . .Poor old Roberta must be turning in her grave. If she`s dead that is . . . .

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=izA6htJVWYg[/video]

What a fantastic rendition here Peter! You make it sound so easy. Nice video as well. Very ghostly smile But don't kill Roberta Flack yet. LOL. She's still around.
Posted By: Inlanding Re: February Piano Bar - 02/03/14 04:34 PM
Thank you, Peterws, for your kind comment. I am with jazzwee on your Roberta Flack tune. I think it's one of your best arrangements, so very well-played. The visual effects add a nice touch to how well you play.

jazzwee~ I call 'em like I see 'em about your meteoric development as a professional player - I am a huge fan.

Elssa~ Georgia is a great tune, played by so many folks. In addition to Ray Charles being the original to bringing the tune to the top, Willie Nelson put it number one on the country music charts for a few months, too. You are in good company with your arrangement. Good work, indeed.

Glen
Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/03/14 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Inlanding
To add to the mix this early February, here's a short Chopin Prelude No. 6, Op. 28, b-min. A bit slower than I'd like - and like all pieces, they are subject to change the next time they are played...

https://app.box.com/shared/9k5qm0vt47

Glen

Heavenly Glen! Such a beautiful touch my friend. Lend me some of those chops on my gigs.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/03/14 05:56 PM
Elssa
Slow Foxtrot comin` up . . Take your partners . . OFF we go! (hopefully, somebody got up to dance. . . )

Remember it only too well. Thanks for this Elssa. . . . .You should be in a Piano Bar . . .hang on, you ARE in a piano bar . . Nicely done, young lady! grin
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: February Piano Bar - 02/04/14 12:40 AM
Hi, this is a famous Japanese piece originally composed for Koto (Japanese harp which also takes two hands ) transcribed for piano and flute. I am planning to do this in November this year for my company's Asian fair this year or next year. It could be too demanding considering that I already committed to forum recital and have several assigned pieces. What do you think? Isn't it very different?

Posted By: jotur Re: February Piano Bar - 02/04/14 02:34 AM
FarmGirl, that was great! I went to a koto concert at the Museum of International Folk Art a couple of years ago and still listen to the cds. Wonderful.

Cathy
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/04/14 05:24 AM
Elssa
Slow Foxtrot comin` up . . Take your partners . . OFF we go! (hopefully, somebody got up to dance. . . )

Remember it only too well. Thanks for this Elssa. . . . .You should be in a Piano Bar . . .hang on, you ARE in a piano bar . . Nicely done, young lady! grin

Thanks, Peter, for your kind words. smile I just noticed on Craig's List that a local place is looking for a pianist for their Happy Hour: www.VinumCafe.com They have a new baby grand, so I'd love to play there if they're interested. Right now, snowed in solid, though, so probably won't get there til spring. Your "Killing Me Softly" was just gorgeous.. You really are talented. How did you make that cool video? Do you still play out?
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/04/14 08:36 AM
Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/05/14 06:49 AM
Well, I don't know if I'm up to playing anywhere now either, but I talked to the owner/chef of this place over the river, and he said the last pianist didn't work out because he played mostly "today's music". Apparently the owner is looking for more of a mix of musical styles, which maybe I could do. I've never played in a piano bar before, though. Geez, I think if people kept throwing song requests at me I'd just panic and freeze up like a deer in the headlights. LOL! I can play pretty well by ear/lead sheets, as well as sight read anything, but don't know if I could handle all that. :p

The owner/chef of the restaurant said the baby grand he just bought is a player piano, which he runs sometimes, but he would much prefer a real pianist, so he sounds nice and like a real music lover. smile
Posted By: kenjazz Re: February Piano Bar - 02/05/14 03:15 PM
Peterws - Killing Me Softly was really well imagined! I have this song printed off and it has been on my to-do list for a long time. I could never think of an arrangement that was interesting enough to make it worthwhile. You certainly did that. I love how you changed up the rhythm on that quirky little instrumental turnaround that she has. Very special.

Inlanding - As always I'm so jealous of how you can play a Chopin prelude with sensitivity one minute and them swing out with the best the next. Wonderful sound

Elssa - All of those perfect runs at the end! The perfect fingerings... This is why I would never video myself playing - it would look like somebody chopping hamburger meat by comparison smile
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/05/14 05:55 PM
Thanks, Kenjazz smile I have to confess a lot of times I'm just using chord "hand-shapes", so not even really thinking about the fingering. BTW,I forgot to mention before that in addition to your music, I really enjoyed the cute video that went along with it! grin
Posted By: JimF Re: February Piano Bar - 02/05/14 11:01 PM
Very nice playing by everyone. Boy, what a fast start for the Feb. bar. thumb

Glen - Hey, I don't think I've ever heard you submit a classical piece before...very nice!
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/06/14 06:33 AM
Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile
Posted By: piano_primo February Piano Bar 3 videos - 02/08/14 03:22 AM
I am going to "redo" some videos I posted earlier but deleted. Poor video quality .
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/08/14 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Elssa

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile

Not many requested songs thank goodness. Tbh, I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction! So that helped, too . . now and again, someone would want to turn the evening into a karaoke session. Not a chance! And mothers would request you let their little daughters play . . .

It was all background stuff, a variety of genres and time scales. I`d play around the tune, and forget not only what I was playing, but the key I was in, too. So I had a list of ready back up songs to get me out of my self dug hole . . . nobody noticed to my knowledge.

It was fun.
Posted By: Tubbie0075 Re: February Piano Bar - 02/08/14 11:04 AM
Here's a very simple piece from the soundtrack of Legend 1900, called 'the Crisis'.

Posted By: evamar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/08/14 12:35 PM
Simply gorgeous, peterws! One of my favourite songs, love your arrangement.

Now you have just put me to shame, as I was learning this one for easy piano... sounds terrible in comparison! cry

I'll continue with it, of course, I just wish I had started learning piano some 20 years ago or maybe 40... grin
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/08/14 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by evamar

Now you have just put me to shame, as I was learning this one for easy piano... sounds terrible in comparison! cry

I'll continue with it, of course, I just wish I had started learning piano some 20 years ago or maybe 40... grin

Thanks, lass. The problem is, there are some of us on this site who can`t be considered beginners either in the normal sense, or even re-beginners sense; the passage of time or even the amount of learning absorbed precludes it. Doesn`t seem either fair or encouraging to others who are. So I can only encourage. indeed, ask you to set aside your hesitation. Maybe something needs addressing; there seems to be a lack of "beginners" willing to participate these days. And might this be an indication as to why?

Have fun!
Posted By: evamar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/08/14 05:31 PM

Thanks, lass. The problem is, there are some of us on this site who can`t be considered beginners either in the normal sense, or even re-beginners sense; the passage of time or even the amount of learning absorbed precludes it. Doesn`t seem either fair or encouraging to others who are. So I can only encourage. indeed, ask you to set aside your hesitation. Maybe something needs addressing; there seems to be a lack of "beginners" willing to participate these days. And might this be an indication as to why?

Have fun!

It's fine, anybody playing like that is obviously not a beginner, so I'm not really comparing. I can only learn from your playing, just as I learn from any player at a level more advanced than mine.

The real difference between people here is how much time and effort they have put into learning to play piano. We haven't started all at the same time, and I think it's actually good to see different levels.

I don't mean in any way to reduce the number of contributions from more advanced players, they are useful in their own way and it's nice to see where we can get one day. But yes, I agree that it would be nice to see some more real beginners' acts here.

I'll be posting my easy version when I'm confident enough with it, it's still recognisable! cool

... I have just got a Creedence Clearwater Revival book, which of course is still far too advanced for me... but one day it won't be!
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/08/14 10:38 PM
You know, there are always people better than yourself, no matter how good you are . . .!
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 05:00 AM

Have fun . .

Not many requested songs thank goodness. Tbh, I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction! So that helped, too . . now and again, someone would want to turn the evening into a karaoke session. Not a chance! And mothers would request you let their little daughters play . . .

It was all background stuff, a variety of genres and time scales. I`d play around the tune, and forget not only what I was playing, but the key I was in, too. So I had a list of ready back up songs to get me out of my self dug hole . . . nobody noticed to my knowledge.

It was fun.

Hi Peter; I've always been shy about performing, not helped by the fact that I can't sing well at all (cat usually runs under the bed - don't blame her). lol But I think playing "background music" would be good and fun to do in most places. smile

Still snowed in here, more this weekend. Just watching the Olympics. Here's a song apropos..

Polovetsian Dances - Borodin (aka Stranger in Paradise)

Posted By: piano_primo February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone - 02/09/14 05:47 AM
A "redo" of the videos posted yesterday , .... the first time (posted yesterday) sorta looked to me in "bad form and too casual ", I usually practice in the morning , so...
the look of the video was unintentional .

I am still practicing “Clair de Lune” , which is the most challenging. The whole probably will not be done for months .

You can see, I am dabbling with the effects in movie maker
Tubbie00750

Great start , are you beginning this piece? I thought it sounded good but has pauses, maybe they are in the score. I do that a lot in pieces I am practicing- for example, below .

Kennjazz - the jazz groups brings back memories , Spyrogyra.........the 70's and disco .. I wanna relive those years .
Well, not really, but that is cool playing/song . I liked the "Yellowjackets" - "Claire's Song" was a favorite.
I think either Syrogyra or the Yellowjackets also did the soundtrack for "Mutiny on the Bounty " with Mel Gibson . The song was was "The Angelus" and it was a moving piece. ( famous painting too, BTW )
blush ( well, got that one wrong i did, it was Vangelus eek
who did the sound track ... (well it sounded alike).
Anyway, nice playing , and that dog in the video is Amazing . ( caring with a child)

Peteersw ,- "Killing me softly" is quite impressive. Is that played in blues style with riffs? I don't know " piano blues" well enough to identify the playing, if it is ,,, I want to certainly learn the blues style .
Nevertheless impressive .

Nevertheless impressive .

[video]
"Medlody" Handel

Handel "Melody" from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

/[video]

[video]
"Clair de Lune" Division 2

Clair de Lune Division 2 (Pianonewwbie1) . from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

[/video]

I am planning to watch "Georgia" -- .
Posted By: Tubbie0075 Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone - 02/09/14 07:36 AM

Tubbie00750

Great start , are you beginning this piece? I thought it sounded good but has pauses, maybe they are in the score. I do that a lot in pieces I am practicing- for example, below .

That's as good as I could get for a quick-learn-and-record piece. I don't intend to play this piece again.

There was no pause. Those were longer notes and were meant to be played that way. If anything, I didn't take my time enough to slow the piece down and vary the tempo more. When my teacher said I needed to be more free with the tempo, I didn't think it was that much of a problem. But every time I record and hear myself play, it is evident that he was right.

Here's the original soundtrack. The tempo is much more 'elastic' and it brings out the emotion a lot more (of course, the strings helped).

Posted By: evamar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 08:10 AM
You know, there are always people better than yourself, no matter how good you are . . .!

And so many things about myself can improve, piano is only one of them! laugh

But no, I see what better players (really almost anybody at my level) can do and it only helps me see that the time and effort one puts into the piano simply pays back... quite late, but it does. So I don't think that better players demoralise beginners, they just help them see where they might get if they persevere.

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music, even the better players started like us many years ago. Let's not be this shy and scared of some publicity and criticism, our noise is normal! wink

Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 10:42 AM
Tubbie0075

Played well, man. Loved the piano sound (could hear all those gorgeous resonances, just like on my software Steinway) and, was that rain falling? It gives a certain atmosphere which is wholly appropriate. Excellent work!
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 10:47 AM
Elssa
An old Square Tango we used to do. . . .It looked good watching the dancing from the stage. Bet you`ve played this many many times . . .
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone - 02/09/14 10:56 AM
pianonewbie1
Your Handel piece was really nice, the piano sounded soft and sympathetic to the genre; the strings added as well. Handel is the basis for most of our hymns, and the springboard for later composers such as Mendelssohn, Schumann, Beethoven etc etc. And so much music today. Pop ballads based on classical stuff like this will always tweak the heart strings of the young and foolish, not to mention some of us old cynics who should know better! . . .Well done.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone - 02/09/14 11:02 AM
pianonewbie1
Loved the impending disaster on your music stand. WHO forgot to close the window/doors then? You`re determined to do Clare de Lune. And you will. Time brings its own rewards and will not be rushed! (Try telling that to your boss when he`s leaning over your shoulder . .)
Posted By: evamar Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone - 02/09/14 12:27 PM
Thanks to all for sharing.

Pianonewbie1, extra points for keeping concentrated even with the flying music sheets!
Posted By: Ragdoll Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 01:24 PM
Well I surely can't muck up the recital with this and I can't seem to get a decent recording. I'll post my effort of Feb 1 to the Feb piano bar. Couple of ugly clunkers and you gotta love that pressing of the practice pedal on the arpp at the end; I know I loved it! mad

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tNJxQS50Res[/video]
Posted By: jazztpt Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 04:53 PM
Some great music so far in February - Great start with Ken's Morning Dance. I'll come back to comment a little later. In the meantime I'd like to share something I started to play around with a couple of days a go and which has come together super fast (for me anyway).
I might add some string pads if I can be bothered to battle with the technology.

Oh and Peter your comment "I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction" ,
you're killing me :-)

So anyway , this is Sad Song , which is a tempory title , not sure it's too sad and its in a major Key anyway !

https://app.box.com/s/h7nhgg9auorlbukmvpwy
Posted By: Tubbie0075 Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 05:35 PM
Tubbie0075

Played well, man. Loved the piano sound (could hear all those gorgeous resonances, just like on my software Steinway) and, was that rain falling? It gives a certain atmosphere which is wholly appropriate. Excellent work!

Thanks Peterws. The rain falling effect was added using Final Cut Pro.

I enjoyed your playing too. It's felt free and flowing. Wished you had a better camcorder/webcam though.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 06:10 PM
Ragdoll

I`m sure you know there`s no need to worry about these things here. Mistakes are there to work through, or crash through . . . .and it takes more time to work through them. A month or two makes such a difference! It`s comin` along fine and your piano sounds great!
Posted By: rnaple Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 09:03 PM
As usual. The Piano Bar seems to be the most interesting place to listen. Enjoying them all.

Originally Posted by Tubbie0075

That's as good as I could get for a quick-learn-and-record piece. I don't intend to play this piece again.

That's a shame. An absolutely beautiful piece of music. Something to enjoy.
I listened very critically to you. You got it all. You did really good. Great for a quick learn and record piece.
I must ask...
The sheet music didn't have a big crescendo all the way to the 1:55 point, where the strings drop off? Kinda hard to pick it out in the original with the strings over the top of everything.
I won't bore you with my thoughts. This is something I could obsess over.

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music,...

Gee... I can't let go of anything until it's musical.

Posted By: Tubbie0075 Re: February Piano Bar - 02/09/14 10:19 PM

I must ask...
The sheet music didn't have a big crescendo all the way to the 1:55 point, where the strings drop off? Kinda hard to pick it out in the original with the strings over the top of everything.
I won't bore you with my thoughts. This is something I could obsess over.

The sheet music has no dynamic markings at all. I do admit there needed to have more dynamic contrasts to elevate the middle section and I didn't do much of it. I could have also used the soft pedal for the beginning and ending sections. The other problem was that my mic was not far enough (or maybe too far) from the piano. So the recorded volume would have been more or less within a very small range. Perhaps I could experiment more with mic placements.
Posted By: evamar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/10/14 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by rnaple

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music,...

Gee... I can't let go of anything until it's musical.

I can, wait to listen to my recital contribution! grin

No, I mean simple basic easy pieces and songs... if we wait to be able to play the complicated stuff we'll never have real beginners sharing their playing.
Posted By: jazztpt Re: February Piano Bar - 02/10/14 08:13 PM
Kenjazz - I remember Syro Gyra and Morning Dance , great stuff Ken , I think this is your best yet and a smile inducing vid to go with it.

Jazzwee - Authentic jazz played live , the piano is a lot clearer than in your previous recordings and I can really hear your lines , are you using a different recording method ?
All round great playing from everyone , everything about this is excellent.

pianonewbie1 - a difficult piece I have always wanted to play , you have a good start, I am not qualified to offer any tips but well done.

Farmgirl - recording everyday sounds like a good idea, counting is good :-)again I not qualified to comnment on Bach but well done and good luck with the recital.

I really enjoyed the piano/flute piece, a perfect combination and excellent playing from both of you.

Peterws - great arrangment, playing and video. Recorded direct to Piano ? What patch is it, pefect for the song and just the right amount of reverb.

Glen - I always enjoy your playing whatever the style , great touch and expression on this piece , I am guesing you know it well, beautiful playing.

Elssa - Georgia , perfect in another fine "bar" style arrangment, love the switch to organ in the middle.

Tubbie0075 - I have recently seen the Legend of 1900 , great film with some great music.Very nicely played, thanks for sharing.

Ragdoll - you have a nice feeling going there , the odd hesitation but time will cure that, well done.
Posted By: Ragdoll Re: February Piano Bar - 02/11/14 12:59 AM
jazzpt and peterws

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. Encouragement is always helpful to me. All my family live far away so it's nice to hear honest feedback. I can play this much better but just can't seem to get it right when I try to record. frown Not ever the same mistakes either just random clunkers due to nerves I guess grin
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/11/14 09:00 AM
Why not try recording all your practice? Then, when things go right, you`ll have it! (I`m one to talk. You have to switch these things on first. . . who can be bothered?)

Posted By: Ragdoll Re: February Piano Bar - 02/11/14 12:41 PM
But I do that now peter, in so far as my card has capacity. For example this clip was pulled from a 18 minute session Saturday, and the only one not full of cursing and frustration. However, you can see it's still pretty crappy. As you said though time will heal. Seems like it's been forever. Please don't share this as it's unlisted. smile

http://youtu.be/sFVmKCMjtV4

13%

Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/11/14 12:55 PM
You`re playing what`s on the music; that is challenging. It`s either right, or wrong. This is the "precise" way of doing it. I f I was playing your piece, I`d miss out some of the awkward notes in the right hand harmony just for the flow of things. My teacher, if I had one, would not be happy . . . Don`t tell Morodien . . .
Posted By: jazzwee Re: February Piano Bar - 02/11/14 08:20 PM
Jazztpt, thank you for your kind words (also on the other thread!). Coming from someone with your advanced skills, it is highly appreciated.
Posted By: Inlanding Re: February Piano Bar - 02/11/14 11:32 PM
Ragdoll - Come back to Sorrento is a very pretty melody, played very sweetly. It’ll be great to hear it again after you’ve got it well under your fingers. Great to see your hands at work.

Tubbie0075 thanks for sharing your arrangement of “the Crisis”. Look forward to seeing/hearing more of your playing - thanks for sharing.

Elssa~ I love your take on the Polovetsian Dances. Fits your style perfectly. Great work.

Pianonewbie1~ Handel’s Melody is a beautiful piece of music and you played it very well. Your Claire de Lune is coming along quite nicely. Stay with this one, it’s a keeper.

Russ~ Your tune, Sad Song, is fantastic! I am always amazed by your compositions, so sensitive and expressive. It evokes emotion, for sure. As for the name…that’s a tough one. Look forward to what name you finally choose for it.

JimF, jazzpt, Russ, Kenjazz, peterws, jazzwee, - Thanks for your encouraging words on the Chopin Prelude. When I was a child, my Dad played it several times a week for as long as I can remember - it was one of his many go-to warm up pieces.

Glen
Posted By: rnaple Re: February Piano Bar - 02/12/14 12:09 PM
The sheet music has no dynamic markings at all. I do admit there needed to have more dynamic ...

Yes....John Williams does that too. One piece, he has; "Use Pedal" and that's all on the pedal. I just think: Okie Dokie!?

I still think you did a great job of a quick take on it.
I don't want to muck up the thread with my obsessiveness. I'd like to thank you for bringing this piece up. It motivated me to see the movie. With your permission. I'd like to obsess over this and see what I can do with it. I'd also have to get the ok from my teacher. My teacher has me very busy obtaining technical ability. So might not be able to.
Posted By: Ragdoll Re: February Piano Bar - 02/12/14 04:15 PM
My teacher, if I had one, would not be happy . .

peterws
Yah, me too. I respect your position but I want to learn to play the score first and then maybe improvise although it is a nice arrangement as is. My studies of reading and technique depend on playing the score first, being teacherless at this time.

I don't just want to make it sound ok I want to be able to play it as written with all it's nuance and feeling. This is certainly not to say you're wrong about this, it's just I'm still learning to play piano with all it's nuance and frustration plus switching to an acoustic. A steep curve, for me at least... sorta like a bell jar. grin Thanks for the support all the same.

Posted By: Ragdoll Re: February Piano Bar - 02/12/14 04:24 PM
Ragdoll - Come back to Sorrento is a very pretty melody, played very sweetly. It’ll be great to hear it again after you’ve got it well under your fingers. Great to see your hands at work.

Inlanding
Thanks Glen, coming from you that's quite a comliment. I have listened to most of your Box uploads and love them all. Very nice style, the blues and old standards always get me inspired.
Posted By: jazztpt Re: February Piano Bar - 02/12/14 07:14 PM
Thanks Glen - you're very kind , glad you liked it.
Posted By: kenjazz Re: February Piano Bar - 02/13/14 03:41 PM
Pianonewbie,Jazztpt,Inlanding,Peterws,Elssa - thank you so much for the encouraging comments.

Jazztpt - The composition of Sad Song was exquisite. You were able to convey a melancholy feeling even in Bb major! Starting at measure 7 when you took us on a descending bass path from G/F#/F/Eb/D/C with a ii-Vish thing down to Bb, it was like you were taking us down a spiral descent of despair. Your use of suspended and b9 chords created a mournful feeling too. I don't know how you come up with this stuff!

Tubbie0075 - Crisis was really nice, especially with the rain as backdrop. The harmonic changes are beautiful and made with such economy of change from one to the other that they sound magical. Nice job!

Ragdoll - Wow, this is really coming along! I'll bet by submission time you are going to have this flowing nicely.
Posted By: jazztpt Re: February Piano Bar - 02/13/14 07:06 PM
KenJazz - I like the way you listen and analyse, you have good ears, better than me.
I very much appreciate you listening and your kind comments.
I think this is the quickest tune I have ever written, I played the first 4 notes and the rest wrote itself. Thanks again.
Posted By: Ragdoll Re: February Piano Bar - 02/14/14 01:05 AM
kenjazz
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement, especially from someone of your caliber. smile
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/14/14 06:15 AM
Thanks again for the kind comments. smile

Well, got another foot of snow here today, but glad in a way so that I can catch up with all the great recordings in the bar!

Jazzpt: Beautiful melancholy style of music with your new composition. Lovely. thumb

Glen: You are so versatile, jazz, classical, etc.. enjoyed your Chopin, very nice flow. smile My Dad loves classical, too, esp Russian composers.

Well, here's a small offering for Valentine's Day.. heart

Love Affair to Remember

BTW, does anyone else have a problem with YouTube videos "freezing up" or running slow? I don't know if it's my browser or something else.
Posted By: UKIkarus Re: February Piano Bar - 02/14/14 10:15 AM
The latest issue I keep getting with youtube (or any flash content for that matter, and using chrome) is that the content loads, I get sound and all... but the screen is black and the controls are missing. Thus I simply cannot turn off the content, that is, without closing the entire tab.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/14/14 07:40 PM
Elssa Very nice Elssa! Another old romantic . . .song!! (Ha ha nearly got into trouble there . . )
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/15/14 06:07 AM
Thanks, Peter. smile Well, guess it's a little bit soppy/sentimental (corny?), but sometimes I just go for that type of song. grin I had fun with the cross-hands part..
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/15/14 01:03 PM
When I wrote "old romantic" I had to think twice about what to follow it with . . . I used to call BillM that. And he`s no longer here . . . Words will always get me into trouble!

BTW, your red rose motif on Youtube perfectly matches my piano stool . . .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/16/14 05:45 AM
When I wrote "old romantic" I had to think twice about what to follow it with . . . I used to call BillM that. And he`s no longer here . . . Words will always get me into trouble!

BTW, your red rose motif on Youtube perfectly matches my piano stool . . .

[Linked Image]

Very cool/lovely bench! thumb smile

I don't mind being called a "romantic" player. lol I think Eddy Duchin was called something like that, and he also used the cross-hands technique a lot, playing the melody in the lower octaves with chords above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Duchin

Posted By: wuxia Re: February Piano Bar - 02/16/14 01:28 PM
Hello here's a crude recording of Satie's 3rd Gnossienne, I hope you like it =]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9gdufmbty3ezrf/Satie-gnossienne3.mp3
Posted By: earlofmar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/17/14 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by wuxia

Loved it, nothing rough to my ears. Might say it again..... I loved it.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/17/14 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by wuxia

That makes a nice change! Usually hear the first. Same with the Gymnopedies. Always the first!

Well, I may be the first to do the second . . .(probably not ha ha)
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/22/14 06:17 AM
I noticed it's been very quiet here in the bar lately, so just thought I'd post something to pep it up a bit. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9same_Mucho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consuelo_Vel%C3%A1zquez

BESAME MUCHO

Posted By: evamar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/22/14 08:14 AM
I noticed it's been very quiet here in the bar lately, so just thought I'd post something to pep it up a bit. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9same_Mucho

BESAME MUCHO

Aaaaahhhh... one of my mum's favourites, and one I definitely want to learn! There's something with the music of the 40's... Besame, besame muuuuchooooo, como si fuera esta noche la ultimaa veeeeeez... (Kiss me, kiss me a lot, just as if tonight was the last time) Love it, thanks!!! thumb

Posted By: TheodorN Re: February Piano Bar - 02/22/14 07:09 PM
Been enjoying the contributions this month, very good. A great cover of Killing Me Softly from peterws, some standards from Elssa, with her unique voicings, high quality jazz from kenjazz, jazzwee and jazztpt, the classical pieces from Glen, Farmgirl and a few others, and movie music from Tubbie0075, very varied. Not to take anything at all from the ones I didn't mention by name, I have been enjoying all the performances, pretty sure I didn't miss any of them.

Decided to brush up on my Christian side and gave this classic hymn a try. Also wanted to try out a new stage setting a user posted on the Casio forums, which is an emulation of a church organ. Hope you like it, in spite of a few timing errors!

Posted By: jotur Re: February Piano Bar - 02/22/14 07:15 PM
TheodorN - thanks for that hymn! I have a recording of an old-time fiddler doing it, too, that I love. We sang this all the time in my youth. I'm thinking of getting some stuff together to go back to the Bluegrass/Old-Time Festival "miscellaneous instruments" contest (the first time I did that contest was a - riot laugh ) and this is on my short list. I just have to play it as the 2-step it really is in that genre laugh Nice work!

Cathy
Posted By: TheodorN Re: February Piano Bar - 02/22/14 07:20 PM
Thank you Cathy. I stumbled upon a violin version of What a Friend We Have in Jesus, when I was scanning YouTube for covers of it, and it was very moving.
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 12:19 AM
Elssa
That was a favourite. Done it a few times as a Bossa/Slow Foxtrot/beguine even a tango. Glad those days are over . . . . Great job, lass. I bet you miss the organ! (There was a monster of one for sale recently in the shop; (a Technics, the side panels were about 4 inches thick) for £500; the wife tried playing it for old times sake. Did her shoulder in . . . .!
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 12:24 AM
TheodorN
That organ sound is most interesting. A standard church organ, not a cathedral monstrosity. How many pianos have that? Mine has a chapel organ (excellent; I used to play one) and the Cathedral Monster which is really dreadful. To use in church, I`d have to use Chapel as a base, then add other voices as layers. Or just piano . . Well done, man!
Posted By: TheodorN Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 12:45 AM
Thank you, peterws. This organ was actually made with heavy layering, using hex layers. Think it was OK for the hymn, would have liked to have more dynamic control, though. I think I even like the built-in Yamaha organs better than the ones of Casio. The organs on my former P85 were quite good, I assume they are the same as on the DGX-650, but the latter probably has more layering power (and more voices of course.)
Posted By: earlofmar Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 05:10 AM
Very nice TheodorN, and the sound very realistic, a very apt piece for my Sunday.
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 07:02 AM
Muchas gracias, Evamar! smile Guess it's well known that this classic song was written by a young Mexican girl:

Consuelo Velazquez/Besame Mucho:

Thanks, Peter.. Yes, I do dearly miss playing electric organ sometimes, especially with the rhythms.. It's almost like playing along with a little band. I'm playing some type of Bolero rhythm here with this song - lots of fun. smile
Posted By: jazztpt Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 11:22 AM
Elssa - you to have a huge reportoire and consistent high standard of playing it, very good as usual.
Actually I have been listening to this tune recently, I found a lovely version by Michel Petrucciani with strings, I supsect everyone here would enjoy it. I won't post the link but anyone who fancies a listen will easily find it on Youtube - "Michel Petrucciani - Besame Mucho".

TheodorN - well done, amazing these keyboards these days, great sounds ( they haven't quiet nailed the trumpet yet though smile )
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 02:56 PM
"amazing these keyboards these days, great sounds ( they haven't quiet nailed the trumpet yet though smile )"

I thought the same. But when I actually used the trumpet, it came out really strident (IMO) Wonder how many other voices I`ve rejected . . . unwittingly!
Posted By: jazztpt Re: February Piano Bar - 02/23/14 04:46 PM
"amazing these keyboards these days, great sounds ( they haven't quiet nailed the trumpet yet though smile )"

I thought the same. But when I actually used the trumpet, it came out really strident (IMO) Wonder how many other voices I`ve rejected . . . unwittingly!

As I remember you used quite a convincing trumpet sound in one of your videos, it seemed to work there OK but generaly the trumpet sounds are never that convincing (to me anyway) , they do better with the lower brass , trombones & french horns.
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/24/14 06:57 AM
TheodorN; That sounded great - very authentic. Love exploring all the different and wonderful sounds available on our DPs. smile

This one is done on my Roland with what is called "Vibra Bells".
I usually enjoy any type of a pretty bell sound.

Music Box Dancer

Posted By: TheodorN Re: February Piano Bar - 02/24/14 12:57 PM
Thanks for kind comments, earlofmar, jazztpt and Elssa.

Elssa, that was simply wonderful. I could see the dancing doll before me while listening. I wonder why I never see those music boxes with dancing dolls in them anymore. I remember them from my childhood, how fascinating they were. I feel I can learn so much just from watching your playing.
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/25/14 05:38 AM
Posted By: piano_primo February Piano Bar "Superstar" - 02/25/14 08:36 AM
TheodorN - Nice full organ sound, certainly is reminiscent of a Church. A cool song option for that sound might be "Phantom of the Opera ".

Elssa- The ballerina music box invokes memories, my older sister had a music box that she received as a gift when I was maybe 4 (real old now) , she had until at least college. Those music boxes really had a harpsichord sound to them (She's married now, and said she doesn't know what happened to it).
Also the theme from Titanic, "Rose's Theme" song reminds me of a ballerina box .
Anyway ,nicely played but could that chime sound also be used as accompaniment with the piano sound ?.

Thanks for the comments on my previous post, I've been lax lately for whatever reason(s ) with practice ( everyday but not as much )
Here's one I want to mix down in "cakewalk plasma" with percussion added from loops I'll make myself. It'll be complete in a few days because I have to loop it myself. (Just experimenting with the plasma program.)
Note:, you can hear the midi beeps at the beginning, and the audio is a little too loudly recorded . I did the midi and audio at the same time. I put my hand in front of the cam at the end to make sure I was recording. ( lol) I played it once ( or more) and it was off just before this take.

This video is "Superstar" composed by Leon Russel and Bonnie Bramlett, sung by vocal artists - like, _Karen Carpenter and Luther Vandross_.

[video]
"Superstar"

Superstar (Pianonewbie1) . from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

[/video]

One more question , I notice my piano in some vids looks like it is from Gulliver's travels on the "giant" side , in others, but rarely, lilliputian. Is it the way the server processes the video? or my camcorder?
Posted By: TheodorN Re: February Piano Bar - 02/25/14 03:59 PM
Pianonewbie1, your playing is becoming steadier, and more flowing, very nice. Thank you for your comment on my piece, Phantom of The Opera might be interesting to try, with or without the church organ, but probably too advanced for me at the moment.
Posted By: piano_primo Re: February Piano Bar - 02/25/14 11:48 PM
TheodorN:
Thank you for the positive comment.
Your playing is flowing well too.
I have practiced that “Superstar" for some time, then left it, and came back to play it again.
It’s not a really hard piece for a beginner. I even ad lib’ ed it a little.
“Phantom of the Opera ” would be far beyond my experience level too. I suggested it only because of the pipe organ sound in your previous video.
I sometimes look for an “easy” version of something difficult, if I really want to play the piece , then try to build it up , mentally or new.

Right now, I am experimenting with “ Plasma” software to add percussion, so I picked this song ” Superstar “ for the slower pace .I hope it works out ok.

Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/26/14 06:16 AM
Thanks again for the kind comments.. I need to go back to my parents' home in Yonkers to find my old ballerina music box now. smile

Very nice recording Pianonewbie1
Posted By: piano_primo February Piano Bar Elssa - 02/26/14 08:32 PM
Elssa ,
Your welcome,
I just wanted to make a comment about your last “ chitty chitty bang ..” video.
The psychological nuances are many…. even from a “kiddy matinee’ movie”.
The youth culture of the 60’s, when the movie was made, responded by-
Hmmmm , the 60’s. (in the USA)
Hope that makes sense.
Or this ……
“ Valley of the Dolls” Dione Warwick

and the 60's weren't the 60's without
Lulu – “To Sir with Love”

I like this …… any era …..
J. S. Bach

Posted By: Tequilla85 Re: February Piano Bar - 02/26/14 08:35 PM
Elssa, I wonder how long do I have to play until I can match your speed smile

Here's my entry, Hijo de la Luna by J.M. Cano (with the popular version by Mecano)

I am a little bit concentrated since it's not such a simple piece for me.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCgA0Yc2ec

Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/26/14 10:48 PM
Elssa
That would have been equally good on glockenspiel; sounds made for it imo. But it fits the image as it is superbly!
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar "Superstar" - 02/26/14 10:54 PM
pianonewbie1
Another blast from the past! Used to play this and probably still have the music from the Karen Carpenter era . . . well done man! long time since I heard that . .
Posted By: peterws Re: February Piano Bar - 02/26/14 11:01 PM
Tequilla85
Very good work, young fella! Your piano sounds great and the melody has a sad almost wistful feel to it. Only ole fellas like me are allowed to feel wistful, by the way. And I`ve not got round to it.
Strange thing is, your piano has the same engine (CF11 or something) as my DGX, but sounds very different . . .

Have fun!
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar Elssa - 02/27/14 06:51 AM
Elssa ,
Your welcome,
I just wanted to make a comment about your last “ chitty chitty bang ..” video.
The psychological nuances are many…. even from a “kiddy matinee’ movie”.
The youth culture of the 60’s, when the movie was made, responded by-
Hmmmm , the 60’s. (in the USA)
Hope that makes sense.
Or this ……
“ Valley of the Dolls” Dione Warwick

[/b]

Yes, that movie ("Dolls..") was trashed by critics, but the song and the singer, Dionne Warwick, are so beautiful. "Chitty" was also panned as a silly movie, but it has some wonderful songs in it, too.. So many great old movie songs out there. I was born in '62 so was just a tot then, but really enjoy watching them now, though they never seem to be on my channels.
smile
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/27/14 06:59 AM
That was terrific, Tequilla85, very melodic, nice harmonies and enjoyable to listen to! thumb

BTW, the "Music Box Dancer" only has 3 chords, so when you play something like that, your fingers can fly..easy to memorize and play. lol smile
Posted By: Tequilla85 Re: February Piano Bar - 02/27/14 09:23 AM
my piano's engine is actually something called "Pure CF sound engine" and I think that DGX 650 has it also

thanks for the kind words peterws&Elssa
Posted By: rnaple Re: February Piano Bar - 02/27/14 12:14 PM

The sheet music has no dynamic markings at all. I do admit there needed to have more dynamic contrasts to elevate the middle section and I didn't do much of it. ... Perhaps I could experiment more with mic placements.

Just for creativity's sake. If one were to take my setup.
Use "At the C7". Turn the synthesizer on with Airy pad. Lock down the sustain pedal.
This absolutely nails it! Obscenely beautiful!
Posted By: TheodorN Re: February Piano Bar - 02/27/14 04:49 PM
Tequilla85, very nice.
Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar - 02/27/14 05:57 PM
Thanks again, Peterws smile The Glockenspiel actually sounds horrible on my Roland. I feel guilty knocking the keyboard, though, because it has some really great sounds on it, so overall I shouldn't complain. hah It just needs repair because some of the keys get stuck.. Would cost a few hundred to get fixed, though - not something I can swing right now. frown
Posted By: piano_primo Re: February Piano Bar Elssa - 02/27/14 10:58 PM
Elssa,
Your playing is Superb, in my opinion.
I was being "deep" with my "Chitty Chitty " response,.,
I really think music and art expresses a lot, and on many levels. Sometimes I'm way off target.
Classics from Bach, Warwick and LULU, which I posted- to me , express a sort of oppressed "commoner'.
So does a "doll on a box", i.e. like the words of the doll singing (in the vid).
Anyway , I like blues and am trying to learn the blues now on piano.
I like your music, and your musical tastes they are provocative at times, and classic.

This is the previous video of "Superstar" with added percussion ; a cymbal and shaker.
I didn't realize the difficulty ---in the percussion of a slower song, and further; making it "work" in a digital audio workstation.
I played the percussion on a Ct 670 Keyboard and recorded it as audio in Plasma.( as opposed to midi.) I tried midi, but it was difficult to time it with the audio.
I then exported the audio and added to to "movie maker "with the original video.
Timing is the most difficult problem ; especially on slower songs with a "fluid "tempo.
I like the ending the best .
Here are 2 versions, mis-tempoed". ( I thought banging pots as a toddler counted as being a drummer) I need percussive practice.
I do like the ending ,, the cymbal tremolo seemed to sound like a "fit" to the end of the song
NOTE: I realize the percussion is too loud, but give any suggestions. ( on adding percussion )or anything else.
1rst with lowered percussive volume .

Lowered percusssion volume -of the previous video of "Superstar" from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

2nd - Unedited full percussive volume.

Superstar 2 25 6 7 with Percussion added from a DAW_ "Plama-Cakewalk" from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

Posted By: Elssa Re: February Piano Bar Elssa - 03/01/14 07:01 AM
Thanks again, Pianonewbi1.. You're too kind. I'm so inspired by all the people in this bar to try to be more creative and am learning new things from all of you here all the time. smile

TheodoreN, you inspired me to fiddle around with the organ sounds on my Roland again. This is the Church Organ setting, which sounds a little loud/heavy to me, but the only one that sounds classical. There are other nice Organ choices, but they sound more "electric". Anyways, I had fun with it. I was a substitute church organist many years ago..

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums