Piano World Home Page
Don't everybody panic at once!

The 33rd consecutive ABF quarterly Recital goes live Feb 15. It will open for submissions Feb 1st.

Everyone is welcome to participate, no matter what your playing ability or what style of music you play. Details about the recital can be found here:
ABF Quarterly Recital

Past Recitals can be browsed in the index:
ABF Recital Index

Sam
Thanks!

I had already started some recording but I wasn't yet satisfied.
I was really hoping I had recorded my piece before the "one month" thread came out. Sigh ...
Sam S and all other members taking time and effort organising this. Thanks for offering these recitals, I'm having a look and listening to previous recitals and think that this is an amazing thing to have.

Not sure I'll get a recording on time with which I'm happy (I tend to get towards the last quarter and then do something silly like going down instead of up). But I'll try.

Great idea to have an instrument browsing to compare sounds too! Pity that many people don't start the title with the maker and then the model -so that they are alphabetically sorted- and then just add their comments. This would make it easier to compare sounds.

Would it be possible to also categorise entries by skills level? Maybe early/middle/late beginner/intermediate/advanced or something similar rather than discovering it when opening the entry? I think that it would be interesting to listen to the same piece played by different people with different levels, especially when one is trying to learn it. It would also allow for participants to enter the same piece on a later recital and easily check their progression.

jum... I'll get some serious practice tonight, and if not this one I'll definitely have something semi-half-decent by next one. Already panicking!

Originally Posted by evamar
Sam S and all other members taking time and effort organising this. Thanks for offering these recitals, I'm having a look and listening to previous recitals and think that this is an amazing thing to have.

Not sure I'll get a recording on time with which I'm happy (I tend to get towards the last quarter and then do something silly like going down instead of up). But I'll try.

Great idea to have an instrument browsing to compare sounds too! Pity that many people don't start the title with the maker and then the model -so that they are alphabetically sorted- and then just add their comments. This would make it easier to compare sounds.

Would it be possible to also categorise entries by skills level? Maybe early/middle/late beginner/intermediate/advanced or something similar rather than discovering it when opening the entry? I think that it would be interesting to listen to the same piece played by different people with different levels, especially when one is trying to learn it. It would also allow for participants to enter the same piece on a later recital and easily check their progression.

jum... I'll get some serious practice tonight, and if not this one I'll definitely have something semi-half-decent by next one. Already panicking!

Well, the index is limited by the information that people give and how they give it. It was added long after the recital format was decided on - it's pretty much a kludge the way each new recital is added anyway. The main goal is to provide a useful index while minimizing the amount of work involved.

I think we have discussed skill level categories in the past, but something like that is impossible to do (it would have to be a self assessment), and ends up being divisive. It's probably best to have just one big tent. The last thing we want to do is turn people away because they fear they think they don't belong. However well intentioned categories might be, I think the quarterly recitals are just too varied for it to work. And that's a good thing.

Sam
Sam, thanks for your reply. I see your point but TBH if anything I should feel intimidated as I'm only a beginner and I can see that there are really really good pianists here, virtuoso up. But at the end of the day everybody was a beginner to start with and we all are humans and make mistakes. Only lots and lots of time, dedication, effort and knowledge separates us, other than that we are the same! ;-)

Not a problem with being called early/middle beginner myself, and I think that it actually helps with expectations. I certainly wouldn't want somebody opening a recording of mine thinking that I have a much higher level than I actually have... that would get the opposite intention.

If you think that it's better all under the same big tent I'm happy with that, I'll try a piece at a level I'm comfortable with rather than something more complex that I'm still trying to learn.

evamar, please don't be intimidated by the better players in the quarterly recital. You will be welcomed no matter what your level, especially if this is your first recital. You can describe in the notes what your playing experience is, and I can guarantee you will get supportive comments.

Sam
...TBH if anything I should feel intimidated as I'm only a beginner and I can see that there are really really good pianists here, virtuoso up.

HAHA! You've got to be kidding! grin
Yes, there are very good pianists here, that's true. But there's also plenty of intermediate players, and several beginners. Don't worry and submit a recording! You only started yesterday anyway! You'll see, people's comments will only give your self-esteem a boost. I'm the one that should be intimidated, having been playing for almost two years. But I've decided that I'm too old for that!

I will probably submit one little minute of Bach or Schumann.
I'm NOT advocating this at all (personally I think it's the wrong way to go) but if one wanted to, the ABRMS grade level of the piece could be added to the write up if known. That list has about a zillion pieces listed. That would be a more objective guide to the potential difficulty of the piece than having the person submitting it rate him or herself.

As for myself, better get out the zoom. Got a bit tired of mine and had to concentrate on something new for awhile.
Hey, Sam, maybe I just missed this somewhere ... but what's the cut-off date for submissions?
Thanks, Sam and Sinophilia.

I'll try to get an easy piece (and I DO mean easy, 5 fingers style maybe) for this recital, but if not definitely for next one.

Yes, I'm still in nappies smile

Originally Posted by piano_deb
Hey, Sam, maybe I just missed this somewhere ... but what's the cut-off date for submissions?

Our super recital admin, aka Monica, will probably close down the submission thread close to 9pm Eastern Time on Valentine's day. Or, hopefully, she will be having a Romantic dinner and won't be able to do it quite then! wink

More details in the link that Sam linked to at the top.
thanks, andy
I will be doing this it will be my first one. I like these forums, very motivating. With regards to recording and submitting I guess I just submit one mp3 file right? If I am doing let's say five songs do I have to play them back to back? Is that how it works? Like a live performance?
Originally Posted by paul1971
I will be doing this it will be my first one. I like these forums, very motivating. With regards to recording and submitting I guess I just submit one mp3 file right? If I am doing let's say five songs do I have to play them back to back? Is that how it works? Like a live performance?

Yes, though usually when there really are multiple songs they tend to have a theme to them or actually run into each other in a medley. Just submitting five separate pieces would be "unusual".
Looks like it will be plan B for me
Originally Posted by paul1971

Paul, think of our online recital just as you would a regular recital. When it is your turn to perform,... you play something. Most members choose one specific piece (or makeup their own) and then perform it. Playing 'more' than one piece is allowed, but we ask that you present/perform these 'pieces' in a type of medley so it will work with our current format.

One individual piece is fine. An individual performance made up of several other pieces or melodies is also fine (like a medley). We just ask that you keep it to one (1) submission because this is a recital comprised of many people [usually 50-60].

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by piano_deb

Our super recital admin, aka Monica, will probably close down the submission thread close to 9pm Eastern Time on Valentine's day. Or, hopefully, she will be having a Romantic dinner and won't be able to do it quite then! wink

Ha! With two teenagers in the house, the most romantic thing said at dinner is "pass the macaroni and cheese." laugh

Yup, the cutoff is 9:00 pm on the 14th, Eastern Standard Time. VERY VERY FIRM. Anybody who is participating for the first time, or who has a quirky computer/internet connection, should aim to get it in the day before so there will be time to troubleshoot any problems.

I am proud to announce that this is the VERY FIRST RECITAL where I have the recording done BEFORE the call for submissions come out! I will be playing a piece that not only hasn't ever been performed in one of the AB forum recitals before, but it's by a composer who's never been represented. The only hint I'll give is that it's a new age composer/piece. (No surprises there!)

Originally Posted by Monica K.
I will be playing a piece that not only hasn't ever been performed in one of the AB forum recitals before, but it's by a composer who's never been represented. The only hint I'll give is that it's a new age composer/piece. (No surprises there!)

lol it was only a matter of time until you ran out of Einaudi piece's

I am proud to announce that this is the VERY FIRST RECITAL where I have the recording done BEFORE the call for submissions come out! I will be playing a piece that not only hasn't ever been performed in one of the AB forum recitals before, but it's by a composer who's never been represented. The only hint I'll give is that it's a new age composer/piece. (No surprises there!)

Okay, so here I am giving recital instructions while Monica is pre-hyping her upcoming piece.

Anyone see the irony here? he he! smile
Ha! Just don't expect me to put on a speedo. wink
An original composition by Monica? Cool! laugh
paul1971, welcome to PW!!! I think you should participate in ABF Recital. It's a unique experience.

I will probably submit another piece from the Einaudi's "In a Time Lapse" album. It will not be anything "too worked" once I've been very busy lately.

So it took 33 recitals to reach the point where you are prepared? I've got that to look forward to - only 13 more recitals and I can be prepared too!

Sam
In need to get myself a recording device in time. The audio from my camcorder is just to bad (or I don't know how to place it properly).
Originally Posted by Monica K

Artist formally known as Einaudi! wink

Pass the mac & cheese please Monica.
Originally Posted by wimpiano
In need to get myself a recording device in time. The audio from my camcorder is just to bad (or I don't know how to place it properly).

Don't let that stop you. My bad zoom provided a dandy distraction from my bad playing. wink
Sam, happy birthday! I see you got yourself a cake already smile
Happy birthday Sam!!
Hope you are having a Happy Birthday, Sam!!
Thanks for the birthday wishes, but I quit counting birthdays!

Sam
So - are Sam and dynamobt twins who were separated at birth? maybe by several years? laugh At any rate, happy birthday to both of you, and party hearty!!

Cathy
Cathy, why do you say that? It's not my birthday today.
OH! I mistook the smiley face for a cake! Darn these new glasses laugh

So, happy birthday to Sam, and happy unbirthday to you!

Cathy
Hey Sam, happy birthday -- enjoy!
I missed this yesterday! Happy birthday Sam, hope your day was simply splendid!
Happy unbirthday Sam! Where in Georgia are you anyway? I'm in Clemson (as in Tigers) SC.
Happy Belated Birthday, Sam!

Well, I thought I was in great shape for this recital and was feeling good about my piece, until I had my first lesson after the six week holiday break. Of course, my teacher suggested lots of changes. So, I incorporated those and made my first recordings today. It is back to the drawing board. I am not quite there yet… Maybe I should just stop listening to Barenboim's recording of it. cry
Happy Birthday, Sam!

After all I'm not sure about what to send to the recital... I think it's the first time I have many pieces to choose from smile
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Happy unbirthday Sam! Where in Georgia are you anyway? I'm in Clemson (as in Tigers) SC.

Thanks Frycek - I'm in a tiny town southwest of Atlanta. But I'm very familiar with Clemson since I was born in SC, down in the low country.

Sam
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by -Frycek

Thanks Frycek - I'm in a tiny town southwest of Atlanta. But I'm very familiar with Clemson since I was born in SC, down in the low country.

Sam

My roots are in the Lowcountry. My Dad's people are in Macbeth, Berkeley County. I grew up in Charleston.
Sam Happy belated birthday!
I managed to get a recording that I am happy with today. Yeah! Now I can sit back and relax until the 1st!
My piano won't be tuned til the 1st of Feb so I'm going to wait to make my recording. (Besides, truth be told, I need the extra practice time!)

smile
So it will be Bach. I managed to speed up my recording by a good 20% yesterday, I might be able to get to a more acceptable tempo by the end of next week. It will still be slow but I really like this little piece. And I love Bach, no more doubts about that!
What a fun idea. I really like this forum. Is it literally for anyone? As of now I could submit "Jingle Bells" or "Brother John", though in a few weeks who knows, maybe "Mary Anne"!
Ayup. Everyone. We've had folks with 3 weeks experience. It's cool, eh?

Cathy
corysold: I was playing brother john two months ago. Now I'm trying to get the entertainer polished for the abf submission (simple Alfred book one version of course). Keep clipping neighbouring keys at the moment. Have learnt a lot from this song though, it has dynamics I never knew existed and utilising these dynamics is feeling grreaat!
Can't wait to hear it Paul. "The Entertainer" and "Für Elise" are my two 'why I want to learn piano' songs. Hopefully I can play them for this someday.
Haven`t a clue WHAT to do . . . .
I know what I'm playing. 1st movement of Beethoven Sonata Op 2 no 1. I've got a rehearsal for playing it in recital this afternoon. Recital is Sunday. Could have gotten it recorded by now. But, haven't. I hope to get it done soon after Sunday because we're probably going to set it aside after that. I'll have new material to start working on that will take a lot of my attention. Many places to screw up in it. In spite of my working on it since summer!!! I hope not to bomb the recital and have my teacher say "no" to Sunday performance. I haven't been able to get it any better for weeks. It is what it is. Then there is the Nocturne/Waltz recital to get a recording for too!!
It must be fun and torment in equal measure doin` these recitals; Hope all goes well!
That's about right. Equal measure fun and torment!! Rehearsal went OK. Not flawless. But, that's to be expected. Performance won't be perfect. The key is to minimize mistakes and keep going.
I hope I get the chance to record something. How do I submit my recording if/when it's ready?
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
I hope I get the chance to record something. How do I submit my recording if/when it's ready?

Monica will post a call for submissions the first of the month. You'll need at least an mp3 file. There's a web-based submission process. You'll have 2 weeks to submit. Read about it here:
recitals.pianoworld.com

Sam
Since I have just moved and all my piano music is in storage or a box somewhere.. looks like I'll put up the piece I played in December for my final exam:) Also.. since I moved, I'm back to teaching myself for awhile. We'll see how it goes:)
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker

Monica will post a call for submissions the first of the month. You'll need at least an mp3 file. There's a web-based submission process. You'll have 2 weeks to submit. Read about it here:
recitals.pianoworld.com

Sam

Thanks! Sorry I didn't really look too hard. I LOVE the wiki organization. I should be able to contribute something.
So I am really bad with this recording technology stuff: so a question, we must submit an mp3 recording (i.e, no youtube)?
I think I might submit something this time! One of the first two pieces in my sig, can't figure out which one. I think I prefer the Rachmaninoff, since it is a LOT shorter, but nobody's submitted this particular Haydn sonata yet, so maybe....

Now, try not to choke for the red dot. Harder than it looks.

*sigh*
Originally Posted by A Guy
So I am really bad with this recording technology stuff: so a question, we must submit an mp3 recording (i.e, no youtube)?

Yes you must submit an mp3 file but have the option of submitting a youtube link as well if you wish.
Oh ok thanks. If I order a zoom h1, but it hasn't come yet, is there a way to get an mp3 recording with my iPhone?
I record my acoustic with an iPad mini and the audio is acceptable, so it's better than nothing. You can also use the audio from your videos to create an mp3!
I hope I can contribute this time. I really want one of those medals in my signature!!! grin

The only problem is to find a some time alone at home AND get a decent take...
People have submitted iPhone recordings before, A Guy, and the quality was actually not that horrible. But unless your H1 is shipping from the South Pole, you'll probably get it in time. The recital website opens for submissions on Feb. 1, but you have up until the evening of the 14th to send something in.
Well, you won't believe this, but - I'm ready. Recording made, video with score uploaded to youtube, ready to be sprung on an unsuspecting public...

Sam
Lesson learnt. Well, probably not since I've done this before!

Record the piece while you are still actively working on it, not one month later!!! Spent yesterday getting semi-decent recordings but nothing like I would have got a month ago I'm sure! I haven't listened back but I think there are some OK performances.
I'd forgotten how difficult this recording business is, and how terrible it starts out. Even though I've done this plenty enough times now. When I play the piece through it sounds acceptable. But once I hit record, I'm very cognizant about playing and hearing ALL the notes, the right notes, the right expression ... well you know how it is ... near impossible. Will continue trying this week and hope to get something acceptable by the weekend. I know it does not need to be perfect. But it sure does need to be one heck of a lot better then it is right now ...

I gave up on being perfect long ago - I just do the best I can and don't obsess about it any more...

Sam
I gave up being perfect long ago, too, but I still obsess about it. whome
My tuner is coming on Saturday ---let the acoustic recording begin!
Last Recital I submitted "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" from "The Lion King" and I have another Disney gem recorded for this Recital - a simple but effective arrangement - simple is all I seem to be able to do these days - effective is a matter of some perseverance and even more luck...a title track...a beauty and not a beast of a tune...

What is it about the Disney catalog of songs - there are so many gorgeous pieces - sparkling little gems - so real, so lovely, so...what? memorable and personal...it seems they demanded the best, insisted on it, and got it...perfect compliments to their heartwarming story lines....Thanks, Walt, et al...
Just a couple of days before the recital opens for submissions!

wimpiano, I never had any success getting decent audio from a camcorder. I can't recommend the Zoom products more highly. Good luck!
I gave up on being perfect long ago - I just do the best I can and don't obsess about it any more...

Sam

Yea, "Hope but don't expect". That's my motto. I think I got my recording today.

Sam, how much snow did you get?
Originally Posted by Peyton

Only about 3 inches. But it happened in the middle of the day, so everyone immediately got in their vehicles and tried to drive home. The roads can't handle that much traffic when the weather is good. So we had another SnowJam.

The good news is that my piano plays no matter what the weather outside, even when the power goes out!

Sam

The good news is that my piano plays no matter what the weather outside, even when the power goes out!

Sam

Must be one of those new fangled "acoustic" pianos.
So my recital on Sunday of the Beethoven Op 2 no 1 1st mvt didn't happen. Rehearsal on Thursday went well. But Friday morning my husband got very sick and ended up in the hospital. He came home Sunday and is seemingly OK now. But, I couldn't shift gears from picking him up at the hospital to perfoming in the afternoon.

So, The Quarterly Recital may be my only playing of this piece. I have still yet to record it. But, hopefully soon.

My piano was tuned in December. But our January weather has made it very difficult to regulate humidity in the house because of how cold and dry it is outside. The room the piano is in is very "tight". I hate condensation on the windows. So, backed off the whole house humidifier a bit when it was near zero outside. So, tuning will be what it is now. Hope it isn't too, too bad.
We've heard pianos in all states of tuning, dynamobt, from Just Plain Awful to Sublime. Don't give it a second thought. Instead, the important thing is that your husband is home and okay. yippie What a scary time for both of you. So glad it's worked out. And if you can make the recital, that's just the cherry on the top of the sundae. smile
Thanks Monica. I've worked so long and hard on this piece I really would like to play it for something!!! I am going to try hard to find some time to record it. With retired husband, it's hard finding quiet time. I usually send him and the dog out on an errand to get some good recording time!!!
Dynamobt, sorry to hear about the scare with your husband and happy that he's fine. Is he one of those patients with a bell constantly playing asking for help? You should train the dog to help him!

I'm still trying to decide what to send. I think I'll stick to something I can actually read from a music sheet rather than something I can simply play without understanding. It will also reflect my real level much better.

But of course I'm beginning to get the red light syndrome, even without recording anything! eek

I have an mp3 AND a video, so is it time to submit yet? grin
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Gulps!

cry
Originally Posted by Peyton

... about 3 inches.
Sam

Not even a base yet. Sam, let me know if you make it to 3 feet. I'll pack up my skis and will be on my way. I always wanted to ski Georgia. Last time there, we stayed at the Peachtree Plaza and I recall there was an excellent jazz piano man in the lobby saloon (drinking days.)

Sam

I knew this, but needed to hear it again for it to sink in. Thanks, Sam.

Plus, after awhile, all the recordings sound the same anyway. Seems if I manage to get through the main sections OK, the coda gets crucified. Or visa versa. I've picked the least worst and ready for the show.

I'm cheating this time. I've got a Mendelssohn recording that I did for the SWW recital a few months ago that wasn't needed in the end.
I've been a bit demotivated for playing piano lately. My Chopin waltz isn't going anywhere and I haven't touched the Tchaikovsky piece for weeks.
The pressure mounts... recital opens for submission sometime tonight. f

p.s. not really sure what the little scuba diving emoticon is for, but it seemed appropriate here. whome
I just did the classic last minute loss of confidence.... I had my mazurka all recorded, posted on you tube and ready to go. Then I sat down this morning and while practicing realized that I hated the way I had played it. I've been listening a lot to Rubinstein 's interpretation and I was trying to play it the way he did. Ferget it.... So I ended up totally re-doing it this morning the way I always play it... a good deal faster (and obviously no where near as good) than Artur. Oh well...
Rubenstein`s a pretty good guide . . bet his piano has been twerked a bit after he played it . . .!
Peyton, I'm not even going to listen to my recording, because I'm afraid I'd have the same last minute loss of confidence!
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Gulps!

cry

OK, I think I'll settle on an easy arrangement of a piece used in a film that I quite like. I have the "difficult" original one too, and will try to get that within the year to see progression.

As I said I want to send something I can actually read and understand rather than something I know how to play but not really understand.

Now I just need to actually learn it! Easier saying than doing grin
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums