Piano World Home Page
Posted By: adak Is pressing the keys by the edge bad form? - 02/25/13 08:27 AM
In order to do 10ths I have to do so by the edges (If I go from the top the max I can do it 9 white keys). What are your thoughts on pressing keys by the edge?

For my thoughts I say you lose some fine control but seeing how it is at the end of the keys the press should have good control of leverage anyways. However I find that pressing keys by the edge doesn't look good or proper.
There are so few 10ths in music, I'm not sure why this is an issue for you. But you are correct--you should not grab keys by the edge.
Based on the pictures you posted, I think you'd do better to roll fast tenths. Coming at the keys from beneath the keyboard in order to grab the key edge is awkward at best and I can't imagine trying to do that at any speed.

In some music I've played, there are left-hand tenths that are held for longer durations (half-note and whole-notes). In pieces like that, you probably could get away with using the technique you posted, but you'd want to be careful that it didn't become a habit for smaller intervals and you'd want to pay attention to your body's feedback in order to prevent injury.

I have a DVD of Steve Allen's introduction to jazz in it he shows how to play tenths..
and boy is he stretching it! then he gives an example playing Honeysuckle Rose,
using decending tenths.. and yes he's using the edges of the white keys..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1MdAFUBtno
My biggest problem is depressing two notes side by side, by mistake. I'm working on "jumping and landing" on the right note, and not one right note and one wrong note. smile

Plus, getting my fat fingers between the black keys is a challenge. smile

There is always room for improvement! smile

Rick
I started out being only able to reach an 8th and using the edge of the keys to play a 9th. Upon reading your post, I tried again and realized that I can now reach a 9th without using the edge of the keys. Not really sure when that happened. Apparently, ones reach can improve over time. So maybe you shouldn't worry about it for now and check it out again in 3-4 years.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums