Piano World Home Page
Just curious, how much time do you spend DAILY, on average, lurking and/or posting on Piano World ?
Be honest!

me: 12 minutes
I see the bidding is staring low...
More than I care to admit. grin
I must admit I am truly and utterly addicted to both this forum and playing the piano. In the last month or so I have spent lots of time here and also lots of time playing! I usually get here in short spurts throughout the day in between pick ups of the kids and in between their various activities. Then at bedtime I read for awhile more. In total I'm guessing 2 hours on most days. I just find I learn so much reading the various threads. The good thing is that when I get some 'day time' hours I do try to spend them at the piano playing!! I am on the lookout for a decent and cheap digital piano so I can practice after bedtime. When that happens my night time reading will be cut drastically short!
15 minutes
Hard to quantify, since I check in throughout the day. I'll say 16 minutes just to up Lain's bid. smile
Doubling last bid. And might not stop there. Spending too much time here, but I pick up useful info almost every day. Not to speak of the entertainment value of some posters. Sometimes I get the biggest laugh from some overly serious poster. I manage to sneak in an hour or two of piano playing, so I am not too concerned about spending much time here.
I'd guess 1/2 an hour. Like others, I often check in a little at a time thru out the day. I do most of my reading in the morning with my first cup of coffee, and at night after I'm thru with everything for the day.

Cathy
My guess is about 30 minutes per day. Much more time than I spend on Facebook! Facebook robs me of about 3-5 minutes per day. In fact, I spend more time on this website than any other website that I use.
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
My guess is about 30 minutes per day. Much more time than I spend on Facebook! Facebook robs me of about 3-5 minutes per day. In fact, I spend more time on this website than any other website that I use.

PW is the first site I visited every morning (while I'm sitting at my desk drinking a cup of cofee). Then I use to read it more 2 or 3 times during the day. So I would say, I spend 20min x 3 = 60 minutes.

Btw: Facebook? what is Facebook? smile
Originally Posted by cubop
Doubling last bid. And might not stop there. Spending too much time here, but I pick up useful info almost every day. Not to speak of the entertainment value of some posters. Sometimes I get the biggest laugh from some overly serious poster. I manage to sneak in an hour or two of piano playing, so I am not too concerned about spending much time here.
We are not here for your entertainment! We take things VERY seriously here. Piano is a way of life, a lifetime dedication, sacrificing all else in the quest for the elusive perfect performance. Someone apparently needs a ruler to the fingers.

Oh, and I don't appreciate being so over bid. That was just rude! smile
Well, it varies. I check in several times a day - sometimes for a couple of minutes, sometimes for a long read.

I also come here when I need to take a break from playing.

I'm guessing about 30 to 60 minutes a day - on average.

Brian, I hate to disappoint you, but I often do come here purely for the entertainment value smile (mind you that could be anything from listening to members' recordings, the e-citals, or reading wacky posts.....this site has something for most moments of the day and most frames of mind!)
Once, I spent so long in a single sitting on Pianoworld, and was so engrossed, that I forgot to feed myself and nearly starved to death. Fortunately mrs Rostosky called the doctor just in time.
His diagnosis was that I had developed a form of Pianophobia and was compensating by extensive pianworlding, in a bid to counteract this.

He ordered no rest at all, and told me quite sternly that I am only here to entertain folk,and reminded me that failure to entertain could result in a future "bore" diagnosis.

He prescribed two additional laptops so that I could watch multiple pianoworld forums at the same time, and a Pc just for private messaging on pianoworld.

Casinitaly and legalbeagle and myself once actually run out of private message space due to extensive pianoworlding.

I will often check out PW first thing in the morning with my first cup of coffee and then maybe once or twice more, depending on whatever else is going on and whatever threads I might be interested in. Maybe 20-30 minutes?
Less time than I spend practicing.
Originally Posted by BenPiano
More than I care to admit. grin

Ditto!

Originally Posted by Rostosky
Casinitaly and legalbeagle and myself once actually run out of private message space due to extensive pianoworlding.

Since the words "FESS UP" appear in the title (in screaming caps, no less), I am obliged to confirm that this is true. Egad. laugh
Originally Posted by Legal Beagle

Since the words "FESS UP" appear in the title (in screaming caps, no less), I am obliged to confirm that this is true. Egad. laugh

Well, in spirit it is true, in fact we didn't run out of PM space, we reached the maxiumum number of entries for a PM. I remember but refuse to admit just how many that is.

I would like to add that this was at the very peak of the Cardboardanno / sightreading tools R&D development and the expansion phase of the international branches of Cardboardanno offices.
There were also several recipies exchanged, NONE of which included cardboard.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well, in spirit it is true, in fact we didn't run out of PM space, we reached the maxiumum number of entries for a PM. I remember but refuse to admit just how many that is.

I believe it's 100. Ask me how I know smile

I guess when I get het up about something I might spend longer than 1/2 hour.

Cathy
Originally Posted by jotur

I believe it's 100. Ask me how I know smile

I guess when I get het up about something I might spend longer than 1/2 hour.

Cathy

Yes, you're right. The cat is out of the bag. I'm sure it was a VERY interesting discussion ...... so,ok, I'm asking, how do you know smile ?
Where's that "blush" icon when you need it?

Cathy
Less than I used to. The S-->N ratio hasn't been favorable lately.

Where's that "blush" icon when you need it?

Cathy

Ah, don't want to put you to the blush my friend !! 'nuff said.
PW silliness is.......sometimes just that - very silly wink

(and that's why they are called "private messages" right?)

Brian, I hate to disappoint you, but I often do come here purely for the entertainment value smile (mind you that could be anything from listening to members' recordings, the e-citals, or reading wacky posts.....this site has something for most moments of the day and most frames of mind!)

Me too! Though almost every time I come here I learn about a new song, a new technique, a story about an interesting piano, or a new book to read, I find that there are just some threads that I find pure entertaining! As Casinitaly says something for most moments of the day!
Too much! We'll say between 30-45 minutes, on average, but it has definitely been higher with some topics blush
After some extensive research, it turns out that music is in something they call the "Entertainment industry". So apparently we are all here for entertainment. My mistake. wink
He prescribed two additional laptops so that I could watch multiple pianoworld forums at the same time, and a Pc just for private messaging on pianoworld.
You win. smile
My name is pg2 and I am PW junkie. I lurked in this PW thingy for a very long time and I can honestly confess to having read every single posting since the beginning.

Sometimes I was in here for hours, no let's be truthful... days on end... doing just that. It took a whole bunch of 8-12 hour days. I have no idea quite how many but I was both red and bleary eyed for a while. It all came about from "no pianna" starvation. I had waited over 50 years to get one, to give myself permission to fulfill the life long hidden dream. So when I found this place by accident I just dove in.

Now I have reduced my being in here to just checking in a dozen times a day cruising through each forum in case I've missed something. Believe me that's an improvement.

I am considering stoping the internet for a while and just going to the library once a day for a while. Just until I get this addiction under control you understand. Just so I can trust myself around internet access to PW again.

I've learned so much and was introduced to so many wonderful pianists I'd never heard of through this place.

OMG, I just had a terrible thought. What if I can't get to library on time to record my practice time every day on Piano World Practice Log. I do love seeing my ins and out in there everyday. Watching those practice minutes show up in there thrills me and it's just a click away from PW.

Like I said, My name is pg2 I am a PW junkie...
Originally Posted by Legal Beagle

Ooops, sorry, I'm Greek...SCREAMING is my normal volume.... smile
Yeia sou Pianochara!!! eime pandremeni me Ellina kai xero ta panda ya phones!!!! laugh

Originally Posted by GlassLove
Yeia sou Pianochara!!!

Yia sas Pianochara ke GlassLove! Eme ke eyo Ellinida!! Oh andras mou ene xenos ke malon eyo the fonazo ta pedya po polli!

:-)

Zoe
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Yeia sou Pianochara!!!

Yia sas Pianochara ke GlassLove! Eme ke eyo Ellinida!! Oh andras mou ene xenos ke malon eyo the fonazo ta pedya po polli!

:-)

Zoe

LOL! kai o thekos mou andras ene "xenos" , eftehos, ha!
[/quote]

LOL! kai o thekos mou andras ene "xenos" , eftehos, ha! [/quote]

laugh , eftehos indeed.

So have either of you played Greek piano music? A good friend of ours bought me a beautiful volume of songs by Manos Hadjidakis. They are easier arrangements for the "young pianist" but the sound is very satisfying.
I had a few Greek songs my aunt had brought me from Greece years ago. I can't seem to find them. I remember them
Being too difficult for me. I'd love to get Greek music as I really like it and the rhythms are unique. I just don't know where to get it from. I especially like the older songs. Do you know a place to order it from? In the meantime I have to find what I have. Just a few songs but I wonder if I would find them less daunting now.
really not sure, other than some websites, perhaps? My 82 YO mother managed to give me a Greek song she wanted me to play " afta ta malakia sou" or something like that, but the arrangement was HORRIBLE! and, so, of course, she didn't like it so I said "forget it". I don't have time to learn horrible arrangements of Greek songs and then not be appreciated- ha ha!

There's another member on the pianist corner (nikolas, I think) who is also Greek, I think he's a teacher? He might be a good resource...

I got my book from Fagotto Books in Athens. Here is their wesite:

Fagottobooks.gr

To email them: info@fagottobooks.gr
Ridiculous amount of time spent on PW ! smile over the past 3 years!
Mostly on the Piano Forum , Pianist Corner and Composers Lounge.
Saw the thread title here though, so popped in for a visit.
Originally Posted by Dara
Ridiculous amount of time spent on PW ! smile over the past 3 years!
Mostly on the Piano Forum , Pianist Corner and Composers Lounge.
Saw the thread title here though, so popped in for a visit.

Define "ridiculous" smile
Originally Posted by piano joy

My Apple online dictionary defines it as:

deserving or inviting derision or mockery

So I reserve the right to keep this information private. smile

Do I really deserve/invite to be derided and mocked for reading and participating in such a wonderful forum?
Originally Posted by Dara
Originally Posted by piano joy

My Apple online dictionary defines it as:

deserving or inviting derision or mockery

So I reserve the right to keep this information private. smile

Do I really deserve/invite to be derided and mocked for reading and participating in such a wonderful forum?

Merriam-webster online includes "extremely silly or unreasonable". I think that applies to the amount of time I'm here, which I refuse to estimate or acknowledge. smile
I've been way too busy at work lately, so the past few months I would say I spend a total of, oh, maybe 30-60 minutes spread throughout the day. (I usually keep PW up on one of my browser pages more or less permanently.)

But in my first couple of years on the forum, let's just say I spent quite a bit more time posting. whome

In fact, Monica, you've been so busy that your pm box is full smile

Just sayin' -

Cathy
I check in throughout the day in spurts but usually most time is spent reading late at night. I can go days without even checking in, especially if I have something else going on that is consuming my time. Then again, I follow things closely at other times. Just depends what's doin' at the time.

Like Monica, way too much time in the begining. Now I reeled it in a little.

A lot less than I used to. I came to a great internet revelation a while back and realized that I really should not get sucked into the computer "alter-reality world". I was spending so much time on forums that they were really becoming too real. So now I spend about 5-10 minutes on average on this forum (a lot more during recital time). I would not even consider going to facebook, twitter, blogs or any of that time sucking stuff. I was sucked into Facebook when it first started and I realized that there was something really sad about watching my 55 year old "friends" acting like 16 year old schoolgirls [Linked Image] .
Originally Posted by Peyton
A lot less than I used to. I came to a great internet revelation a while back and realized that I really should not get sucked into the computer "alter-reality world". I was spending so much time on forums that they were really becoming too real. So now I spend about 5-10 minutes on average on this forum (a lot more during recital time). I would not even consider going to facebook, twitter, blogs or any of that time sucking stuff. I was sucked into Facebook when it first started and I realized that there was something really sad about watching my 55 year old "friends" acting like 16 year old schoolgirls [Linked Image] .

Right- I refuse to get on Facebook...I miss the old days of pHONEBOOK.

Piano world for me is a way to get more "piano/music time in" when I can't play (noise issue) OR I Feel like talking/thinking music and there's no one around to share that with! Hubby and kid are into sports....
This and the "BOOGER DOCTOR" are the only sites I visit (ps. no affiliation with, but highly recommend this one, too, for anyone with nose issues). smile
In fact, Monica, you've been so busy that your pm box is full smile

Just sayin' -

Cathy

ooops... thanks for the heads up. Taken care of.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums