Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Sam S ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 03:42 PM
You didn't know you needed a recital index, did you?

Or that you actually wanted one?

Doesn't matter, because now you have one.

1,156 performances from 21 recitals with 336 different usernames (give or take a few) are now indexed. You can browse by recital, performer, and composer. (Also instrument and location, but those are not so useful.)

ABF Recital Index

Enjoy! Hope you like it. Now I am going to go practice...

ps. It needs a logo - it would take me longer to design a logo than it took me to make the index. Anybody want to volunteer? Looks like it is 135 pixels square.

Sam
Posted By: apple* Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 03:55 PM
WOW WOW - I am super impressed. !!!

What an awesome service you have performed. (i am listening to the beautiful Prelude in B minor by Bach/Siloti; recording by LizstAddict)

I thought I was cool linking someone's 20 recordings together with hyperlinks. You should get an award Sam. You could index all the recordings. I can't believe you've done this.

WOW
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 03:57 PM
Sam - this is the coolest thing! How often have I wanted to listen to what someone has played in previous recitals, and I have your original link to the recitals bookmarked so I'd go thru and find some, but this is super cool!

When I click on the performers I only get thru some S's, tho, and no scroll bars or page numbers or "next" - am I just not seeing them? (most likely scenario)

But I couldn't find me, either - just what *are* you trying to tell me laugh ?

Thanks so much for this. I send you virtual flowers!

Cathy
Posted By: apple* Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 03:59 PM
How long did this take you?
Posted By: ddh Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 03:59 PM
Sam, wonderful idea and work, looks like a wiki page. Thanks a lot.

What did you have in mind for a logo ?

BTW, I'm not in the performer list either wink
Posted By: bluekeys Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:06 PM
Very cool, Sam. I've bookmarked it! One thing you might want to look at though is the performer index. It seems to go through the alphabet twice, so at first look I thought I wasn't there, then found myself near the bottom.

Thanks for all your work on this! thumb
Posted By: Bunneh Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:07 PM
Thank you so very much for the work! I actually did know that I want one very much wink

Gonna dive right in...
Posted By: BillM Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:08 PM
Sam S - What a wonderful gift you have given us! This is an awesome piece of work.
Posted By: Bunneh Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:10 PM
Can I (and should I) add additional tags to certain performances? For example, "Barcarolle" only lists 2 performances, since noone called their Mendelssohn 19/6 Barcarolle, even though it is one.

Just a thought!
Posted By: BenPiano Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:12 PM
Nice work, Sam!
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:16 PM
Thanks to bluekeys I found the "next 200" link - duh. There I am - in the lower case alphabet section smile Since I am not 5' 1" tall, that seems appropriate -

Or maybe these are just the low key performances.

<snort>

Cathy
Posted By: hawgdriver Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:18 PM
awesome
Posted By: ddh Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by bluekeys
Very cool, Sam. I've bookmarked it! One thing you might want to look at though is the performer index. It seems to go through the alphabet twice, so at first look I thought I wasn't there, then found myself near the bottom.

Thanks for all your work on this! thumb

Same here; I had not looked properly at the list at first.

Cathy, You are there too smile
Posted By: GlassLove Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:34 PM
What a wonderful resource. Thank you very much for all of your hard work on this Sam.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:45 PM
Sam, you are AMAZING!! 3hearts Thank you so much for doing this. I must bookmark it and remember to add it to the recital threads in May.

What a terrific resource. thumb

I had a great time browsing through the composers. Unless I overlooked something, Einaudi comes in second only to Bach as the most-performed composer in the recital. yippie
Posted By: PhilzPiano Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:46 PM
Very well done. Exactly what was needed!
Posted By: Monica K. Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:47 PM
p.s. Greg, if you see this thread, you might want to add a link to the index in the "Important topics" thread.
Posted By: rozina Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:50 PM
Amazing! Very well made and very useful! smile Thank you Sam!
Posted By: Inlanding Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 04:54 PM
Sam,
What a fantastic gift to the PW community - Thank you !!
Posted By: Augustina Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 05:01 PM
Sam This is cool! thank you!:)
Posted By: mcasl Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 05:12 PM
Thanks for the effort! It's a very nice tool!
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Monica K.
p.s. Greg, if you see this thread, you might want to add a link to the index in the "Important topics" thread.

Yes - but why can't this also be "stickeyed" right under "Important Topics"?

Great job Sam thumb

JF
Posted By: Andy Platt Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 05:30 PM
Way beyond the call of duty ... this is fantastic. Thank you very much!!!
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

As far as the category list appearing in what looks like two alphabetical orders, the performer names that begin with a lowercase letter are listed second, even though the category shows it as an uppercase letter - just a quirk of the mediawiki software - although it looks like I can force a different sort order. So you look for "jotur" in the second alphabetical list.

And yes, it shows 200 at a time, so you have to click on the (next 200) at the bottom.

It took me about a week of odd minutes here and there to do it. The real star is the open source MediaWiki software, the same that runs wikipedia and imslp.org. I didn't type in all those 1100+ pages, I wrote a program to capture the data and do it for me.

For the logo, be creative! Surprise me...

Sam
Posted By: CMohr Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 06:29 PM
Sam - This is absolutely awesome! Like others here, I've found myself looking for a particular performance, and it took forever...Now it's a piece of cake!

What a tremendous effort and gift! Thanks!!! heart

I agree, it should be stickied.
Posted By: Strings & Wood Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 07:23 PM
Great work Sam! This is an outstanding source of information. I think the piano category has great appeal.
I have to go browse some more. thumb
Posted By: griffin2417 Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 07:32 PM
Thanks you so much. I love this!!
Posted By: Strings & Wood Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 07:55 PM
Sam, you are AMAZING!! 3hearts Thank you so much for doing this. I must bookmark it and remember to add it to the recital threads in May.

What a terrific resource. thumb

I had a great time browsing through the composers. Unless I overlooked something, Einaudi comes in second only to Bach as the most-performed composer in the recital. yippie
\

I must point out an oversight. Bach is second to Chopin, so that would make Einaudi third. I know that- because I am currently going through all of the past Chopin performances.

I am currently listening to LA's Nocturne Op 72 No 1 from recital # 5. This is great!
Posted By: MaryBee Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 08:03 PM
What a wonderful resource. I've been listening to different versions of pieces that I am working on, listening to other pieces played on the same kind of piano I have, looking at categories to see what composers are most popular here, seeing the location where people are from, etc... This is going to provide hours and hours of fun and interesting exploration. Thank you so much Sam!
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 08:46 PM
We have a logo! Daniel (ddh) designed it. Thanks Daniel!

I also have a way to improve the alphabetical listing of performers. The easiest way to implement it is to delete everything and reload (don't worry, it's a lot easier than it sounds). I will probably do that Sunday evening Georgia USA time.

So if anyone has other suggested improvements or corrections let me know before then and I'll see what I can do.

Sam
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 09:05 PM
Wow Sam, thanks for the incredible effort. I've actually thought about doing something like this years ago but didn't have any idea as to how to go about it. I'm glad you have not only figured out a way but actually did it. Absolutely fantastic job. Thanks for your efforts. You are king of the AB forum for the day. Better yet, all week month!
Posted By: imdonald Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 09:31 PM
Fantastic! Thank you!!
Posted By: Akira Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 10:15 PM
That is some seriously nice and appreciated work. What a nice contribution to the community.
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/04/11 11:29 PM
Thanks, Sam! I understand where the two alphabets come from now. I don't have a problem with it being that way.

Cathy
Posted By: cscl Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 03:05 AM
Thanks for this. It's great.
Posted By: TheodorN Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 03:18 AM
This is great, makes it so much easier to navigate through the recitals. A million thanks, Sam S.

Let me tell you that I have downloaded around 50 submissions to the recitals and copied them to my cellphone. I listen to them at night, on the bus, whenever I have a spare time. I believe I can learn a lot from those performances you've sent.

I should be paying some of you royalty fees. laugh Now I'm gathering enough courage and practising for sending my own contribution in the next recital, isn't it May 15th?
Posted By: Strings & Wood Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 04:18 AM
We have a logo! Daniel (ddh) designed it. Thanks Daniel!

Nice logo Daniel thumb
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 04:36 AM
Great logo! Real class - hm. Middle, low, or high? smile

Cathy
Posted By: Ode2Joy Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 05:54 AM
Fantastic work, Sam! Thank you so much for putting this together.
Posted By: BenPiano Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by jotur
Great logo! Real class

I agree, the logo is perfect. smile

Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 03:17 PM
Sam, thank you soooo much for doing this!!!!! And Daniel, thanks for the logo! This is what I love about ABF, these unexpected gifts!!

Sam, at least one of my links is broken (my fault not yours). I've nee meaning to put that piece on box.net. When I get a new link, can you help me with updating it on the wiki?
Posted By: apple* Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 04:33 PM
I can't see the logo? why?

duh.. I was looking in the wrong place I guess. It's very nice.
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Sam, at least one of my links is broken (my fault not yours). I've nee meaning to put that piece on box.net. When I get a new link, can you help me with updating it on the wiki?

Yes, I can fix it if you let me know the link. I've already made some other corrections for broken links.

Sam
Posted By: MaryBee Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 05:06 PM
Nice logo ddh!
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 05:47 PM
All in favor of having this thread stickied say "aye"!

All those in favor of having Sam cannonized say "Hail Mary"!

All those in favor of raising a couple of cold adult beverages in a toast to the above 2 proclaimations say "bottoms up"!

JF
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 06:22 PM
Nice! Great job, Sam (and Daniel).
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 09:39 PM
Sam, you had asked for suggestions so here's one. Is there a way on the recital index you could also link in the other non ABF quarterly recitals such as the Chopin recital etc?

This way, literally everything under "ALL" recitals posted on the ABF would be able to be linked in your new recital index.

Posted By: TheodorN Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/05/11 09:42 PM
Aye! Hail Mary! Bottoms up!
Posted By: CarlosCC Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 09:45 AM
Very, very good, Sam!
Thanks for the idea and effort!
Posted By: grotrianer Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Pianotehead
Aye! Hail Mary! Bottoms up!

+1 grin

I can't say how often I thought "It would be nice to have an indexed list of all past recital performances." This is cooler than I had hoped for.
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Sam, you had asked for suggestions so here's one. Is there a way on the recital index you could also link in the other non ABF quarterly recitals such as the Chopin recital etc?

This way, literally everything under "ALL" recitals posted on the ABF would be able to be linked in your new recital index.

I can probably do that, but first we should decide if we want to. It's bringing up an old topic, but isn't that crossing the line between the ABF farm team and the pros at Pianist's Corner? I know many ABF members participate in those recitals (I submitted something to the Schumann recital).

Practically speaking, any other recitals we add would simply show up with a different title when browsing by recital. New performer, composer, location, and instrument categories would be added as needed (and if the data is available). I'll look into it.

And it's relatively straightforward to capture the data for the ABF quarterly recitals by program without much extra typing because of the regular format of the recital post. I'll have to look at the other recitals and see how difficult it will be.

Sam
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 02:21 PM
It looks like the Chopin Recitals are easy enough to add - the only info is title and performer. Look under Recitals and you should see them show up soon.

I still plan to delete the whole thing and reload later today to correct some small problems. I'll change the main page while that is going on.

Sam
Posted By: TTigg Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 04:35 PM
Brilliant stuff - thanks for doing this awesome thing Sam! thumb
- Steve
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 06:49 PM
Okay thanks Sam. Again, great work.
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 07:05 PM
(posted deleted by ShiroKuro because of redundancy with later post)
Posted By: ragnhildK Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 07:23 PM
Thank you for doing this job Sam !
(I was so suprised to find my link working and listen to a piece I've totally forgotten that I've ever played :))

Ragnhild
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 07:46 PM
Everything is back now. Alphabetical listings are now displaying [A-Z] instead of [A-Z][a-z].

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Sam, should I PM you with corrections for broken links, or what is the most convenient way for you? (Of course, I'll have to wait until the Wiki is back to double check which links are broken...)

Yes, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to make corrections.

Sam
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 07:47 PM
Sam, just in case, here are the links of my recital submissions that were broken and their corrections:

ShiroKuro:
"energy flow"
http://www.box.net/shared/8ijc30kamx

Where Time Goes
http://www.box.net/shared/bo631m6k3x

Let me know if you can fix them for me or if I should do something else to fix them.

(It's a sign of our ever evolving ABF recital, these are older submission, from when there was no hosting, all the newer submissions are on the ABF recital site! Very Cool!)
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 07:50 PM
Sam, I PMed you (I guess we were simul-posting!)

Thanks again, a billion times, for doing this!!!

It motivates me even more to record more!
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/06/11 10:30 PM
Yay, thank you so much!!!

Sam= ABF Hero!!
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/07/11 08:39 PM
Another addition: Statistics

What's the point in having all this data if you don't add up some things...

Sam
Posted By: ddh Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/07/11 11:08 PM
Hey Sam, another good idea, thanks; what is "Recital Participation Histogram" about ?

Cheers
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by ddh
Hey Sam, another good idea, thanks; what is "Recital Participation Histogram" about ?

Cheers

The vast majority of people participate in the recital 1 time and never again. Then it declines sharply for 2 recitals, 3, 4, and so on. Here are the actual numbers:

172 played in 1 recital
48 played in 2 recitals
33 played in 3 recitals
22 - and so on
3 - all 21 recitals

Not really good news I would think. We have a lot of people submit once to the recital and never come back. Why not? Was it not what they thought it would be? Did they not get anything out of it? Is the standard too high? Is it too much work to prepare something?

I'm just making up questions - I don't have any answers...

Sam
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Sam S
What's the point in having all this data if you don't add up some things...

Sam

smile A man after my own heart -

Cathy
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 01:03 AM
Sam, your data is very interesting. I would guess that the law of diminishing returns (or better put, diminishing interest) is at play here.

How many people took dance lessons?, karate lessons? swim lessons? etc and continued on with it? It seems that piano lessons (or at least performances) are no different. It seems that people lose interest at participating in activities over time.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt maybe.

If I were to take a guess, I would say that most people ARE still playing to some degree but just not enough to get something polished and performance ready every few months. Hectic daily schedules and other commitments just take priority.

Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 01:44 AM
Sam, wow, those statistics are very interesting! I am surprised, too, because I had a sort of "only" mentality, IOW I've "only" participated in 6 recitals. But actually, that's pretty good all things considered! And since it's 6 recitals in 5 years, well, I guess that's really good (as long as I don't stand next to Monica, Mr S-H or Copper!!)

As to why there are fewer people who've participated multiple times, I know for myself a lot of it has to do with time, and personal expectations. I don't have a lot of time to deal with the logisitics of recording, and my personal expectations are such that I want any recital submission to be fairly close to the best I can do at the time. So that means that a lot of the time, I don't have the time necessary to get a recording that I feel is worth sharing! Also, when time is limited, I could either spend it on recording a polished piece, or working on new material, but not both. And you can see what I end up choosing, more often then not I choose the new material.

So although I imagine some people may lose interest, I would guess that's not the biggest reason why there aren't more multiple-recital participants. Ultimately though, I'm just speculating.

But, seeing my little section of the index really makes me feel proud of myself! It also motivated me to update my box.net file and upload all the recordings I've made over the years. I have recorded 13 pieces. Wow.(Obviously, not all of them have been submitted to the ABF recitals). I can't hold a candle to some of our more prolific recorders, but it still makes me feel really great, and motivates me to record more!

Maybe some folks who haven't recorded at all, or haven't recorded lately, will be motivated by this.

Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 03:00 AM
These recital indexes are very helpful to see your progress over time. They can can be used as a time capsule to view your playing abilities at any given time. Very helpful.

Now if I could just start playing and performing more and stop pounding the keys and clipping the mio all the time I'd be in good shape.
Posted By: bluekeys Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 03:42 AM
...pounding and clipping the mio...

I don't know what that means, and I'm not sure that I want to.
shocked
Posted By: Monica K. Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 03:49 AM
The statistician in me bets that if we were to correlate number of recitals participated in with forum longevity and post count, we'd get moderately large and statistically significant effects. (Though, er, we might have an outlier problem with my data... whome )

I'd have to study the list again to see if there are any trends, but I think I'd only be worried if we had a lot of people who participated in one or two recitals, then stopped, but who are still active participants in the forum. Such a pattern would make me think that there was something in particular about the recital experience that was negative for them, and I would hate to think that is the case.
Posted By: Strings & Wood Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 04:14 AM
I wonder what ever happened to Lisztener. I enjoyed listening to his recordings.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 04:17 AM
I miss Kawaigirl enormously, too. frown
Posted By: mr_super-hunky Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 04:27 AM
And Seaside Lee.
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
I wonder what ever happened to Lisztener. I enjoyed listening to his recordings.

I've wondered that, too. For the longest time I had pm out to him, but it never got read. :\

Cathy
Posted By: Strings & Wood Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 04:53 AM
It is interesting how you can miss someone you have never met.
Posted By: ddh Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 05:00 AM

I miss Kawaigirl enormously, too. frown

+1
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 12:12 PM
...We have a lot of people submit once to the recital and never come back. Why not?

Sam

Dissatisfied with having their performance judged from a hearing of the first measure only (at best) - or first note or the silence before the first note (at worst)? Just askin'... laugh

Also: what ever happened to Euan Morrison?

And: mahlzeit seems to be the only one in the top performer and the top composer lists (as one would expect)...

JF
Posted By: CebuKid Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 12:43 PM
You didn't know you needed a recital index, did you?

Or that you actually wanted one?

Doesn't matter, because now you have one.

1,156 performances from 21 recitals with 336 different usernames (give or take a few) are now indexed. You can browse by recital, performer, and composer. (Also instrument and location, but those are not so useful.)

ABF Recital Index

Enjoy! Hope you like it. Now I am going to go practice...

ps. It needs a logo - it would take me longer to design a logo than it took me to make the index. Anybody want to volunteer? Looks like it is 135 pixels square.

Sam

So many smart, multi-talented people on this forum, and you're one of them Sam! Great job on this. smile

Posted By: casinitaly Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 01:20 PM
Sam, this is really impressive! I'm blown away! Thanks for your time and energy!

Compliments to Daniel for the logo - it is perfect!

I don't know why there were so many 1 recital performances along the way. It seems to me that since I've started many of the same people have been present --- I wonder what the next one will hold?

Of course, the first thing I checked out was my own listings (there's an egoist in every pianist, no matter how much of a beginner you are!)... I noticed that my first performance is listed in Recital 18 but not under my name. My location doesn't show either.

Could you "update" me please and thank you?

I can see we're going to have a lot of fun with this!!!!!!!
Three cheers for Sam!
Posted By: Manndrew Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 01:44 PM
Sam,

I just had a chance to view your recital index. This is really fantastic work and very impressive. A great addition to the ABF experience. Thank you.

Andy
Posted By: LaValse Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 03:31 PM
Very cool, thanks Sam. smile

http://www.samfsmith.com/ABFRecitalIndex/index.php?title=Main_Page
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/08/11 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I noticed that my first performance is listed in Recital 18 but not under my name. My location doesn't show either.

Three cheers for Sam!

It was there, but under a variant of your name. I moved it with all the others. For your location, you always typed "From Canada, living in Italy since 1994", so guess where your location is listed - under "F" for "From". Let me know what you want it to be and I'll change it.

So everyone should check and see what funny things happened in sorting things. I did not retype this data (what a job that would have been) but used whatever you typed. Variants in username, odd locations, strange instruments, etc... Send me a message and I will correct.

Once the first 21 recitals are OK it won't be as big a problem going forward.

Sam
Posted By: casinitaly Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/09/11 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I noticed that my first performance is listed in Recital 18 but not under my name. My location doesn't show either.

Three cheers for Sam!

It was there, but under a variant of your name. I moved it with all the others. For your location, you always typed "From Canada, living in Italy since 1994", so guess where your location is listed - under "F" for "From". Let me know what you want it to be and I'll change it.

So everyone should check and see what funny things happened in sorting things. I did not retype this data (what a job that would have been) but used whatever you typed. Variants in username, odd locations, strange instruments, etc... Send me a message and I will correct.

Once the first 21 recitals are OK it won't be as big a problem going forward.

Sam

duh.(me). I was thinking it came from the user profile, I even went back and checked my profile to see what I had there !
I'll be more consistent with inputting my info in the future!
Posted By: LaValse Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/09/11 09:19 AM
Sam it's just a thought, but when scanning the data to insert into the wiki it may be worth removing trailing punctuation from Location and Composer - it'd reduce the number of dupes. I'm assuming that's a tweak to a piece of code rather than a manual operation otherwise I would not mention it of course... smile Great work...
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/09/11 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by LaValse
Sam it's just a thought, but when scanning the data to insert into the wiki it may be worth removing trailing punctuation from Location and Composer - it'd reduce the number of dupes. I'm assuming that's a tweak to a piece of code rather than a manual operation otherwise I would not mention it of course... smile Great work...

Yes, I'll probably do another delete and reload before the next recital with some tweaks to improve things.

I also cleaned up some more users with variant usernames and regenerated the statistics page. We have another user who has participated in every recital - "Mike White, Yamaha G3 & P-80", and "Dannylux (Mel)" must have missed the first recital, but has done every one since then.

Sam
Posted By: MegumiNoda Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/10/11 12:08 AM
So awesome! I really like how you organized everything. It's intuitive and fun to interact with.
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/11/11 08:38 PM
So what do you think are the most popular pieces in the 21 ABF Recitals? The list might surprise you...

ABF Recital statistics

I made more username corrections and added more charts and numbers, including novices/veterans per recital, average novices, the most popular pieces and so forth.

Sam
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/11/11 10:48 PM
Boy did that list bring back memories laugh Remember when funburger made that video of re-doing a whole piano, sort of insides and all? She was a treat.

Thanks again, Sam, this is like Christmas in March smile

Cathy
Posted By: Strings & Wood Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/12/11 12:59 AM
So what do you think are the most popular pieces in the 21 ABF Recitals? The list might surprise you...

ABF Recital statistics

I made more username corrections and added more charts and numbers, including novices/veterans per recital, average novices, the most popular pieces and so forth.

Sam

Interesting... I have performed four of the top seven. Perhaps I need to move out of the main stream a bit?

I suppose the offset is- my other four are not on the list.

FYI, Sam.
If you are still tweaking, Strings & Wood and CarlMc are one and the same.
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/12/11 11:38 AM
FYI, Sam.
If you are still tweaking, Strings & Wood and CarlMc are one and the same.

Fixed. Enjoy!

Sam
Posted By: apple* Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/12/11 11:48 AM
the whole recital platform is an absolutely fascinating phenomenom. I remember discussing the merits of the ABF back in the coffee room days. We had no idea it would grow so positively and exponentially. A woman, a very smart woman who no longer is here had the ABF brainchild.. CindySphinx. She is right up there on the member list being a very active member for a while. I wonder how she is doing.

Kudos to you all!
Posted By: Gary001 Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/15/11 01:34 PM
Having fun browsing through by performer and seeing the varied pieces played. Great work Sam!
Posted By: Monica K. Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/15/11 07:35 PM
Boy did that list bring back memories laugh Remember when funburger made that video of re-doing a whole piano, sort of insides and all? She was a treat.

Thanks again, Sam, this is like Christmas in March smile

Cathy

I sure do! I remember even better the fact that she submitted a recording to the first recital, even though she had only been playing, what, two weeks? wow
Posted By: EmptySpace Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/16/11 04:43 PM
Sam:

Awesome! I was using the streaming player to listen to performances, but I like all the context your efforts have added.

I too nominate this for sticky status; can we start a petition or something?
Posted By: Copper Re: ABF Recital Index - 03/19/11 08:56 PM
Sam, I just caught on to this, don't know how I missed it.

This is excellent!

I love it!

Nice work.
Posted By: PhilzPiano Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/02/11 07:23 AM
A shameless bump back to the top. This thread really does need to be a sticky.
Posted By: CarlosCC Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/02/11 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by PhilzPiano
A shameless bump back to the top. This thread really does need to be a sticky.

+1 thumb
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/02/11 04:02 PM
Yeah, I've got a folder in my bookmarks with links to all the PW threads I use all the time. Two of them are Sam's laugh

Cathy
Posted By: MaryBee Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/02/11 08:59 PM
Yeah, I've got a folder in my bookmarks with links to all the PW threads I use all the time. Two of them are Sam's laugh
I just look for one of Sam's postings, and follow the link in his signature. (Sam -- you can't ever change your signature now. smile )
Posted By: dannylux Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/03/11 12:27 AM
Sam,

Thanks very much for this wonderful Recital Index.

I think there's a mistake for IPIBAHN Sandy. She should have 18-20 Recitals, not 10. She changed her forum name several times. Sandy Moore is also one of her names, I'm pretty sure.

Perhaps Monica can verify.

Mel
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/03/11 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I'm happy to make corrections, just bring them to my attention.

One thing you might want to bookmark is the index of your own recordings. Each performer has their own category, so you can have a link like this:

Sam's ABF Recordings

Sam
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/03/11 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by dannylux
Sam,

Thanks very much for this wonderful Recital Index.

I think there's a mistake for IPIBAHN Sandy. She should have 18-20 Recitals, not 10. She changed her forum name several times. Sandy Moore is also one of her names, I'm pretty sure.

Perhaps Monica can verify.

Mel

Fixed. Enjoy!

Sam
Posted By: CarlosCC Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/04/11 12:22 PM
Is there any way to search for "original" pieces?
Thanks, and again, great job Sam!
Posted By: Sam S Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/05/11 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Is there any way to search for "original" pieces?
Thanks, and again, great job Sam!

Search for mahlzeit? smile

But seriously, I didn't provide a separate category for that. You can browse by composer and look for names you recognize.

Sam
Posted By: Peyton Re: ABF Recital Index - 05/05/11 12:32 PM
Absolutely amazing Sam! You the man!!!
Posted By: jotur Re: ABF Recital Index - 11/16/11 06:31 AM
Wow, Sam, this is already updated for the latest recital!

This has to be one of my favorite bookmarks. Thanks so much for doing this.

Cathy
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: ABF Recital Index - 11/16/11 07:01 AM
Sam,
it's absolutely amazing.. I even have my own page. It include the current recital..
Posted By: SwissMS Re: ABF Recital Index - 11/16/11 09:29 AM
This is truly amazing, Sam. I love being able to listen to different interpretations of the same piece. The recital history is quite a legacy. Thank you so much for creating this!
Posted By: CarlosCC Re: ABF Recital Index - 11/16/11 04:28 PM
Sam, thanks for the quick update!
Great work.
Posted By: Inlanding Re: ABF Recital Index - 11/16/11 05:42 PM
Thanks for your efforts, Sam. This is a fantastic addition to the PW experience!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums