Piano World Home Page
Posted By: achat Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/04/10 09:50 PM
I really would like to try to play at least the first 30 second of this one

http://www.youtube.com/user/kylelandry#p/u/29/jg6oJjcGYVE

But I have only about 3 months of practice now.
Is it really too soon?

I am giving a look to the sheet and the first part doesn't seem too hard.

A.

Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/05/10 10:57 AM
Nobody knows this piece?

A.

Originally Posted by ashat
I really would like to try to play at least the first 30 second of this one

http://www.youtube.com/user/kylelandry#p/u/29/jg6oJjcGYVE

But I have only about 3 months of practice now.
Is it really too soon?

A.

Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/06/10 12:13 AM

A.

This is TOO HARD... frown

I am trying to figure out if it is better to learn separate hands of hands together... but it doesn't seem to make any difference.. hard in both ways.

A.

Posted By: Rui725 Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/06/10 02:57 AM
The contrapuntal section in the beginning should be manageable. Stick with the hands separate for a week, then put them together, slowly. Take your time and concentrate, you'll get there.
Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/06/10 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Rui725
The contrapuntal section in the beginning should be manageable. Stick with the hands separate for a week, then put them together, slowly. Take your time and concentrate, you'll get there.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I will try..

A.
Posted By: Akira Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/07/10 02:29 AM
I can understand why you want to attempt it. Its a beautiful piece. However, in my opinion, it is far to difficult for someone with only three months under their belt.

Of course, you will do as you wish, but you might want to ask yourself the question how beautiful or musical will it sound, given your relative inexperience. My guess is that it won't sound very good and may be a 'lot' of frustrating work for very little satisfaction.

I didn't want to be discouraging, but really think you should save it for a later time. It will always be there. smile
Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/07/10 05:14 PM
Akira,

thanks for your reply.
You are probably right. I think it is all about this guy (Kyle) interpretations. Every piece I listen from him I want to try.. He is amazingly good!

A.

Originally Posted by Akira
I can understand why you want to attempt it. Its a beautiful piece. However, in my opinion, it is far to difficult for someone with only three months under their belt.

Of course, you will do as you wish, but you might want to ask yourself the question how beautiful or musical will it sound, given your relative inexperience. My guess is that it won't sound very good and may be a 'lot' of frustrating work for very little satisfaction.

I didn't want to be discouraging, but really think you should save it for a later time. It will always be there. smile
Posted By: rainlily Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/08/10 06:20 AM
This piece from Jay Chou's movie is a beautiful one but it's not easy. Jay himself is an advanced piano player.

I love this piece too, and would like to play it one day. But being a beginner myself, I'll wait till I have better skills.
Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/09/10 12:17 AM
I spent some hours yesterday and today, just to see how much difficult it is.
How to say "to touch with hands" smile

It is crazy!
I almost got the first 6 bars, but I keep on making mistakes each time on the second 3. And I am unable to repeat just the second 3, so I am forced to repeat since the beginning. I am repeating repeating repeating but it is crazy how much concentration it needs this "contrapuntual" section!!

Fortunately the first 6 bars then repeat, hence I almost got the first 12 bars smile

Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/09/10 03:13 PM
Well, I have a proof now that our brains learn during sleeping. I kept going trying the first 6 bars yesterday until 2 a.m in the night and I was still making many mistakes. I went to sleep disappointed and frustrated.

Today I am almost perfect smile

A.

It is crazy!
I almost got the first 6 bars, but I keep on making mistakes each time on the second 3. And I am unable to repeat just the second 3, so I am forced to repeat since the beginning. I am repeating repeating repeating but it is crazy how much concentration it needs this "contrapuntual" section!!

Fortunately the first 6 bars then repeat, hence I almost got the first 12 bars smile

Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/09/10 11:10 PM
ehm, obviously today I discover the spontaneous left fingering of bars 4-5-6 was completely wrong/crazy, and I must fix it. (too much back crossing, if it means something..)

I was going crazy... after two or three repetitions completely good, I started againg messing all over..

A.

Well, I have a proof now that our brains learn during sleeping. I kept going trying the first 6 bars yesterday until 2 a.m in the night and I was still making many mistakes. I went to sleep disappointed and frustrated.

Today I am almost perfect smile

A.

It is crazy!

Posted By: Akira Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/10/10 09:32 PM
Never say I didn't warn you (about the potential frustration).

And, don't forget this is the 'easiest' part of the piece. smile

Good luck, however, if you do decide to pursue it. Some people are very determined. You just may be one of them. smile
Posted By: achat Re: Jay Chou - Secret - Time Travel Theme - 12/11/10 01:45 AM
The new fingering works!
(I studied in depth the Kyle left fingering, an hard work the video is so fast!).

Now I am done with the first 6 bars.
Next step the connection with the repetition.

(In the mean time I couldn't resist trying the "left jumping hand" section. Too much funny!) smile

I want to reach at least that point.
Then I should figure out how to pedal this piece... I have no idea.

A.

Originally Posted by Akira
Never say I didn't warn you (about the potential frustration).

And, don't forget this is the 'easiest' part of the piece. smile

Good luck, however, if you do decide to pursue it. Some people are very determined. You just may be one of them. smile
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums