Piano World Home Page
Believe it or not, our 18th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of May, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm EDT, May 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions should be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent "free" recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. And thanks to LaValse's extremely generous offer to host the recital program and zip files on his server, it is no longer necessary to upload your mp3 files to box.net or some other file hosting server prior to submitting it to the recital. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://abf.make247.co.uk/

and follow the instructions there. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital website, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it. (Though there should be no problems. Mahlzeit is a genius. heart )

Mahlzeit's website will use the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, etc. etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on MAY 14, 2010.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is an amateur recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! This serves to reward the folks who feel on top of their game, and it's about as fair as I can think of for all parties. You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away!

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! smile
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 02:05 PM
Four submissions so far! My tech is coming at 1:00 to tune my piano, so I'll try my first bout with the Red Dot shortly thereafter.
Posted By: BenPiano Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 02:32 PM
wahoo, number 5 again!

good luck facing the red dot, Monica!
Posted By: TTigg Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 02:57 PM
Bloody heck, I need to get my piano tuned before I can try to get one out. Thank god there is just under 2wks to get it in thumb
- SC
Mines in.....Twice! Monica help. For some reason my submission was received twice and I don't know why. I tried to e-mail you via the "e-mail administrator" link but it said it was not properly configured.

If you could toss out one of my submissions since I cannot on my end. Thanks.
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 03:32 PM
Pretty funny -

Manndrew's got "My Song" and Bill's right after him with "Your Song." I wonder if they're playing the same tune?

Cathy
Posted By: BillM Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by jotur

Manndrew's got "My Song" and Bill's right after him with "Your Song." I wonder if they're playing the same tune?

Cathy

I had recorded a couple of songs last week in anticipation of the May Piano Bar and the Recital and wasn't sure which one was going to go where - when I saw Manndrew's submission my mind was made up. I also wonder if it is the same song.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 04:07 PM
Taken care of, hunky, though I'm confused as to why the "email administrator" option didn't work. I didn't change that part of the recital at all. I'll look into it.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 04:13 PM
[scampers back, after looking into it.] Super-hunky, what I think is going on is that when you click the "email the administrator" link, it won't work if you don't have your Outlook (or default email system) configured to activate the email program when you click on the link. (I am no computer expert so I am probably saying this all wrong.) I got the same error message on my hubby's computer, which is a fairly new computer we hadn't gotten around to setting up. But it's not something I can fix on the recital software end of things; it's an issue with your computer setup, and you probably need to go through that configure wizard. I've never done it on our computers because I get stumped when it starts asking me questions like do I have an IMAP thingy.

Anybody who is unable to email me through the recital software can PM me or post here. It'll reach me almost as fast.
Thanks for fixing it Monica.

FYI, I too just got a new computer (2 days ago) which may be what is causing the problem.

In adddition to getting an "not configured correctly" message when trying to use the e-mail administrator link, a few other problems arose I wanted to bring to your attention should anyone else encounter them.

1.) When filling out the recital submission form...i.e where are you from?, recording method etc..., the page will cancel out and NOT save any info you have entered should you go back a previous page to check if everything is filled out properly. You will need to re-enter everything all over again.

2.) I don't understand this next issue at all but when I sign in on the main PW forum website, it will only keep me logged in for that page only! When visiting other threads on the PW site I am having to log in on each thread individually as the computer will not keep me logged in for the entire site, just every individual page. Again, I am clueless as to why but these things never happened with my former computer so I can only assume I'm not configured correctly. Does anyone know if I need to do something for the PW site to work for me?. I don't seem to have problems staying logged in on any other site but like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing.
[quote=Monica K.] It's reach me almost as fast.

Oh, one more thing, please use correct sentence structure when replying. I simply won't stand (or sit) for typo's.

[snickers devilishly]. I've been waiting nearly 5 years to catch you screw up. Finally!!!! Hehe!
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/01/10 08:46 PM
[takes hard tumble off pedestal] A typo! The ignominy! The shame! The horror! laugh laugh

I'm stumped as to what's causing your second problem, super-hunky. Maybe you've got some ultra-strict anti-cookie security thing as your default. But I hope you're able to get it figured out. It would be a huge drag to have to login for each page. frown

The first problem, I think, is just the nature of the recital software. Keep in mind that you can edit anything about your submission, except for uploading a new mp3 file, without losing your place in the recital queue. So feel free just to go through the process and then edit if you want to make changes, rather than trying to go back with your browser.
BTW, anyone looking for a new computer on the CHEAP, check this out.

3 GB with a dual core processesor for $299.

This is the unit I just bought because it is the best deal I could find on the planet. My computer is SO much faster now and for only $299, I don't care if I have to buy a new one every 2-3 years.

3 gigs is plenty of memory for just surfing the web and the dual core processer allows me to keep many windows open and still keep VERY fast speeds.

That's right, $299.

Check it out.

http://www.frys.com/product/6133249
I wasn't expecting to be able to get a recording today, as this piece was still riddled with errors and huge mental blocks yesterday! But, today is another day and I am taking it and moving on. laugh
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/10 01:52 AM
Super-Hunky, I'm betting that your problem is in your security settings. You probably have cookies disabled. The cookie is what saves your PW identity and logs you in automatically every time you visit. I haven't had to log in in years. If/when I do, I will have to look up my password. In Firefox look under Tools . . . Options . . . Privacy. In IE look under Tools . . . Internet Options . . . Privacy.

Hey, that's the same computer I bought my wife for her birthday three months ago. I thought I got a great deal at $329 after rebate. It's a great little machine for the price. The only thing I added to hers was a discrete video card, although that Geforce 6150 isn't too bad as far as onboard graphics go.
Thanks Dennis, I'll try that. Yes, that computer deal is great. I'm very happy with my new found super-speed, even with several windows open.

I'm sure this desktop will be obsolete in just a few years but it's plenty capable right now for the right price!
Posted By: BenPiano Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/10 03:05 AM
I hope MRS's computer troubles weren't an omen for all things computer related for those that dare submit an entry for this quarter's recital.

I successfully submitted my entry this morning. Tonight, I pushed the button to turn my computer on - and nothing. The old chap finally succumbed to old age and cobwebs. I opened him up, but quickly realized I had no idea what I was doing. We've been through a lot together, but his time has come.

RIP my friend. frown
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/10 05:50 PM
Ben,

There's a pretty good chance your old friend could be resuscitated with a new power supply. Then again . . . if it's really outdated it may not be worth the time or the $40 or so to buy a new one. I hope you have your important files backed up elsewhere.

That reminds me . . . I'm a bit overdue for a backup. Time to get the portable hard drive out of the fire safe.
Posted By: mahlzeit Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/02/10 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
1.) When filling out the recital submission form...i.e where are you from?, recording method etc..., the page will cancel out and NOT save any info you have entered should you go back a previous page to check if everything is filled out properly. You will need to re-enter everything all over again.

What did you press to go back a page? The "<< Back" button at the bottom of the page or the Back button in your web brower's toolbar? The former will keep all the fields while the latter will reset them. Unfortunately, that is how web browsers work.
Thanks for the explanation Mahlzeit. I know nothing about computers and to be honest I am amazed I function at the level I do.

Gotta love those spoon fed instructional youtube videos. At least the good ones!
I haven't had the place to myself to record, except for one brief hour. frown And I haven't been home to practice either. Oh well...I read over the score before bed and I think I have it memorized. The one take I was able to get on it has clunky voicing and not enough rubato. Chopin just doesn't come very naturally to me, especially slow Chopin. cry Anyone else having issues?
Time? What's time? I don't think having a four-month old is conducive to practice. smile

I've gotten a bit in tonight. I tried recording a couple of days ago, but that was a bust. I'm almost happy with most of the piece, but it's another one that's fraught with looking back and forth at the hands. Did some slow practicing today as well.

I gave up on the Chopin I was thinking of. Just not happy with my interpretation on that one.
Posted By: Manndrew Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 12:59 AM
Pretty funny -

Cathy

I noticed that myself. An interesting coincidence, buy not the same songs folks.
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 04:37 AM
Manndrew and Bill - it was a funny thought, though.

I think I found my recital piece tonight smile It's a Scottish air in Eb followed by an improvisation in F. Way cool. I got out the air looking for something as a lead-in to a fast tune for Roaring Jelly's gig in Wyoming. It's a tune I've always liked, but Eb is a hard key for the whole band, so I thought I could solo it as a teaser before a rockin' piece. But then I did the improv afterwards and it was really cool, so now the air will do double duty. Whew! I had nothing ready - maybe a couple of recitals from now I will have had time to actually do St. Louis Blues, which I was thinking of for this time. But way too many other things going on this time around.

Cathy

Posted By: Jordy Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 05:19 AM
I'm in!
Posted By: Sam S Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 12:06 PM
I managed to get something recorded between sneezes (I have a cold).

Looks like we have one member going for a triple play...

Sam
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 01:14 PM
Oopsie... Mohan's new to the forum and recitals. I'll PM him and have him pick one and delete the others.
Posted By: AlexDreamer Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 02:50 PM
Will try to participate, even though I'll be busy with exams for a fortnight :-(.
I've one piece almost correct ("Comptine d'un autre été") and a Chopin mazurka (far from done !).
Oops! Was a little too pumped up since it was my first recital! smile.. Deleted my others. Just have one now.. Thanks for the warning
Posted By: epf Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/03/10 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Smith
I managed to get something recorded between sneezes (I have a cold).
I was sick when I submitted the pieces for my last two recitals (don't have that excuse this time) so I know how much fun that can be.

Ed
Thank the deity of your choice that that is over.

Number 21.

Now back to Kinderszenen.
Posted By: TX-Dennis Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/10 12:40 AM
Tech's coming in the morning to tune my piano. It's a bit overdue, I'm afraid. I will try to record afterward. Wish me luck.

Posted By: Waltz Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/10 04:07 AM
Just noticed there are two Mendelssohn pieces in the recital already and they are both called Venetian Boat Songs. I'm not that familiar with Mendelssohn but that sounds interesting.
^There are three Venetian Boat Songs. Op. 19 no. 6, op. 30, no. 6 and op. 62 no. 5. Op. 62 is the most demanding of the three. I'm torn between the first two as to my favorite of the Venetians. I'm anxious to hear Sam's interpretation of op. 19 no.6 which I had a go at in recital number 15. There's a Mendelssohn appreciation thread around here somewhere (there's a link to it in the important links thread for ABF) where a few of us are talking about the pieces we are working on. The Songs without Words are a wonderful collection of pieces with something for almost every level from Intermediate to Advanced (they start around grade 7 in the Canadian syllabus grading system).
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/10 01:10 PM
Arrgggh. I was polishing up my piece and decided to try to play along with the original recording to nail down the tempo. This led to the unpleasant discovery that the transcription is wrong in a couple of places (e.g., leaving out a couple of added notes in one repeat, not showing one part as 8va that's supposed to be 8va). So now I have to make those corrections and re-polish up my piece. I may end up being one of the last submitters this time!
Posted By: Sam S Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/04/10 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Waltz
Just noticed there are two Mendelssohn pieces in the recital already and they are both called Venetian Boat Songs. I'm not that familiar with Mendelssohn but that sounds interesting.

As Home in my Shoes said, there's a Mendelssohn thread:

Mendelssohn Appreciation Thread

Not as active as the endless Chopin thread, but there's some good info there. And the Songs Without Words are great material for the intermediate and better pianist.

Sam
Posted By: pianofossil Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/10 02:29 AM
Hi,

I'm a newbie here, and a newbie on piano: never played one until 2 years ago. I'll try to upload something for the recital, if I can beat the red dor that is:-)

Fossil
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/05/10 02:31 AM
Welcome to the forum, pianofossil! smile You've got 10 days to wrestle that red dot into submission...

[Monica gulps hard, starts to panic herself.]
Okay, I'm number 22. Can I blame parenting for brain stalls? I uploaded a recording with two miss-starts not cut out of them. Oh well. I double-checked this time. At least now people won't be getting a controllable sense of deja-vu when listening.

I'm sure you'll be fine Monica.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 12:35 PM
We're up to 28 submissions, and one week to go! But--and here's where I break out in a cold sweat--there's not a single Einaudi piece so far!! eek And I won't even be submitting one this time! Anthony, where are you?!?

I submitted my final grades for my classes yesterday and cleared out 2 hours this morning for a recording session. I *will* get a usable take of my piece. smokin
Posted By: TTigg Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Monica K.
We're up to 28 submissions, and one week to go! But--and here's where I break out in a cold sweat--there's not a single Einaudi piece so far!! eek And I won't even be submitting one this time! Anthony, where are you?!?

I submitted my final grades for my classes yesterday and cleared out 2 hours this morning for a recording session. I *will* get a usable take of my piece. smokin

Relax M smile
I'll be submitting either the first piece that I learned (La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete) if I can get a good take or Primavera thumb Just have to see which ones ends up being the better take. My upright is in bad need of a tune so I'll be using the Digital..
- SC
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 01:58 PM
**phew!** That's great to hear, TTigg! I can't let a recital go without an Einaudi piece. JohnFrank would simply be too disappointed. laugh

I am taking a break from my recording marathon. I have one mediocre-but-would-do-in-a-pinch take so far. The garage door repairman drove up as I was on the last page, so I think I sped up the tempo somewhat trying to finish before he walked up to the door...
Posted By: Augustina Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 03:51 PM
How do I find out what number I am for recital?:)just curious.
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 04:44 PM
**phew!** That's great to hear, TTigg! I can't let a recital go without an Einaudi piece. JohnFrank would simply be too disappointed. laugh

Ha! Fear not - I have an Einaudi piece recorded and held in reserve and waiting to be submitted at the last minute (as a substitution for my piece) just in case of such a dire contingency. smile

The garage door repairman drove up as I was on the last page, so I think I sped up the tempo somewhat trying to finish before he walked up to the door...

Well, that's certainly a lot more creative than "the dog ate my sheet music..." laugh

JF
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 04:53 PM
Hey Augustina, just go to the recital website, and then click on "show me" where it says how many pieces have been submitted.

It will probably change, though. A lot of people submit new mp3s, so you might move up in the list.
Posted By: AnthonyB Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/07/10 05:08 PM
My piece is currently uploading! Wheeeee! laugh
Posted By: babama Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/08/10 10:11 AM
Cool. I am very close to have Scriabin Etude Op. 8 No. 5 ready for recording and I'm very, very excited about it. Just today I am polishing the last measures. smile I can hardly believe I managed to get through it all. This is the hardest thing i have ever done. I'll probably get too nervous when I'm going to record it, but I will at least try to get a recording in time. smile
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/08/10 10:11 PM
Can't wait to hear it, babama! Hope you're able to conquer those last few measures. smile
Posted By: MaryBee Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/10/10 03:38 AM
My internet was down all weekend, but we finally got our connection back, and mine is in now. If I have time, I might like to record this again, though, and re-submit. (You always find things to fix when you listen to your own recording.)
Posted By: Augustina Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/10/10 04:19 AM
Thanks Monica! I'll try and remember that for next time:)
Posted By: Mati Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/10/10 03:33 PM
I was hoping to submit something entirely new, but I didn't make it. Instead I've just sent a piece that means a lot to me - I have submitted it once in one of the Piano Bars recently, I hope that woulnd't pose a serious problem. I just couldn't bear the mind of missing one of our recitals!
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
My piece is currently uploading! Wheeeee! laugh

Little late for you, no? Although, come to think of it, you were near the end last time, as I recall.

I have a recording I can live with, but since the deadline isn't staring me in the face, and I have some time between now and Friday, I am going to see if I can improve on it. Likely not.
Okay so it's less than a week away from recital time which means I can now perform my piece better than when I submitted it (always happens) but don't want to swap out submissions losing out on one of the earlier spots. Plus, whenever I think I can perform something better and do an actual re-take, it usually DOES sound much better................other than the one blatenly obvious wrong note/mistake that no matter what I just can't seem to eliminate.

It's either accept a decent take with minor hiccups or go for the really good take with that zit on the tip of your nose mistake!

This is what drives me nuts!!
Posted By: jazzwee Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 04:57 AM
Just curious, question to all: why is it so important to be on the top (early) slots?

I personally use the recital to test myself so I post the most difficult thing I'm working on, often the most imperfect thing I can do, which means, I would never submit early.

Maybe the program should just automatically randomize the list and then the pressure will be off everyone smile
Posted By: pianofossil Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 05:29 AM
Whew my Chopin Waltz is in!

Number 39.

Fossil
Just curious, question to all: why is it so important to be on the top (early) slots?

Early submission takes the pressure off. Waiting till the last minute just makes me procrastinate and prolongs the agony. Then again, the early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese! ...... hmmmm. you may have a point there!

Maybe the program should just automatically randomize the list and then the pressure will be off everyone

That is an interesting suggestion. The only negative could be that it may be important to some people to be able to submit earlier rather than later for whatever their reasons. Randomizing the play list would be taking that feature away from them. The current submission method allows anyone to do whatever they want be it submit early or wait until the last minute. Nothing is forced upon or taken away from anyone.

It seems the fair thing to do is leave it alone as it currently works fine. It's the right thing to do.....like eating oatmeal, ....better yet, replace that old school starch with a high fiber, low carb tortilla!

Originally Posted by jazzwee
I personally use the recital to test myself so I post the most difficult thing I'm working on, often the most imperfect thing I can do, which means, I would never submit early.

Which is very different for me. I'll only play something that I'm comfortable enough with to put some feeling into it. I agree that the recitals are a great place to test ourselves and trying to get the most out of my piece is my test.

I say leave it the way it is. Sometimes I'm ready early, sometimes not so much. An advantage to the low spots is many people listen from the first to last entry so you can get comments earlier, but then again, later comments are just as good. I pulled numbers from a hat for listening the one time to randomize comment appearance.

@mr_super-hunky: I find that not playing my recital piece after submitting it works wonders for me. smile Currently I'm working on my piece for the next recital as well as some Schumann for the e-cital in June.
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes

Currently I'm working on my piece for the next recital as well as some Schumann for the e-cital in June.

Me too, although I'm not sure if 3 months + to 8/15 is enough time for the piece I've selected, which is a rather long but famous and popular vocal duet with somewhat advanced piano accompaniment, all 3 parts of which I will play and record on separate tracks, substituting instrumental "voices" for the human voices (in effect, creating an instrumental trio).

My piece for the Schumann e-cital has been "in the can" for several months now.

JF
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 01:19 PM
I absolutely, positively loathe my recital piece. [throws Zoom on floor, gnashes teeth]

I spent all morning trying to get a good take. The best one I've come up with so far has a pause in it big enough to drive a truck through it. mad bah
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 02:42 PM
I absolutely, positively loathe my recital piece. [throws Zoom on floor, gnashes teeth]

I spent all morning trying to get a good take. The best one I've come up with so far has a pause in it big enough to drive a truck through it. mad bah

My sympathies. I had one of those in the last recital. Every time I listened to it I was rolling on the floor laughing. Even tho it was the same recording I was never sure I was going to come back in laugh

I have the keyboard in the same room as the office. That's as close as I've come to recording -

Cathy
Lol Monica. I tend to describe them as unintentional Cage moments. I love it when my brain stalls.

Sounds cool John Frank. You've definitely painted yourself into a corner now that we know what you might be working on. smile

My Schumann is 2/3rds ready. Hopefully I'm recording everything within a couple of weeks now. Then it's time to start working on some Christmas music. I never have any Christmas music ready for Christmas.

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll put some Chopin into the next recital. But I'm surprised my fingers haven't frozen in that position as I think I've had preliminary plans for Chopin for a few recitals now.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 03:34 PM
Well, I got another take that only has a perceptible hesitation, rather than yawning chasm of a pause. I think I'm going to settle for that one, as I have already set the AB forum record for number of resubmissions of an mp3 file.

super-hunky, I meant to say earlier that your comment about having to choose between a generally okay but not stellar take vs. a take that is terrific except for one zit of a clunker really hit home for me... I usually end up using the not so exciting but consistent take, although I constantly second-guess myself. I guess it's comforting to hear that you suffer that dilemma, too.
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 04:19 PM

My Schumann is 2/3rds ready. Hopefully I'm recording everything within a couple of weeks now. Then it's time to start working on some Christmas music. I never have any Christmas music ready for Christmas.

Ha Home! I beat you to the punch with Christmas music - see my submission to this month's Piano Bar - it's Christmas in May! laugh Remember: there's only 223 shopping days left, more or less smile

JF
JF
My piece for the Schumann e-cital has been "in the can" for several months now.

Sounds cool John Frank. You've definitely painted yourself into a corner now that we know what you might be working on. smile

My Schumann is 2/3rds ready. Hopefully I'm recording everything within a couple of weeks now.

I have my Schumann Recital piece ready, but have failed miserably on trying to record it.
Just can't get though it cleanly.

Monica, I feel your pain.

MSH,
I know what you mean. I tend to erase the recording if it has a zit, and hang onto the so-so's for a "choose the best one".

I tried a couple of times to "best" my submission, but it has stood up against the new contenders. It is what it is. smile
Posted By: MaryBee Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by jazzwee

I think you will find that pieces in the earlier slots get feedback from more people. Maybe by the time some people have listened to 60+ pieces, they are simply tired of commenting. Or maybe they just never got to the end of the list.

As for me, maybe I'll resubmit, and try to hit lucky spot #54, which is where I ended up for my first two recitals.
Posted By: Mark... Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 06:55 PM
Even if I don't beat the red button this recital, it has to have a positive impact that I should see later down the road...

Damn you Red Button, damn you...
Posted By: mcasl Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 08:04 PM
I'm in. It's not the piece I expected to submit but at least I'm participating.
Originally Posted by John Frank
Ha Home! I beat you to the punch with Christmas music - see my submission to this month's Piano Bar - it's Christmas in May! laugh Remember: there's only 223 shopping days left, more or less smile

JF

Not that you're counting or anything. wink

I've been working on Schumann op. 15, no. 1, 4, and 8 which was my entry for the last recital. It was more or a check-where-i-was sort of thing. Especially with no. 8. Even though I've been playing it at 2/3rds tempo pretty much five or six times every day for a month, I'm still not tired of it. I think I might be able to officially say that Kinderszenen is my favourite piano music of all time.

I'm hoping to get a few of Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas under control this year. Three would be nice. Something to throw out if I'm at a holiday party sometime. Hint, hint... smile
what do you get if you muliply five by nine
Posted By: Kawaigirl1 Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/11/10 11:53 PM
Lots of great submissions guys! Can't wait to hear them all thumb
Posted By: epf Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 12:28 AM
I'm still working on getting a good take of my piece. I am a perfectionist, so I get really upset with anything that is less. I do have a backup piece if necessary...

Ed
Posted By: CMohr Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 12:49 AM
My story exactly! I'm going to wait until after my lesson tomorrow to put in some more recording time. I'm getting just a little nervous... eek Same as you epf - I do have a back-up piece recorded (never thought I'd be saying that!) but really want to submit my more upbeat piece. Hopefully I'll get some good mojo from my teacher.

Looks as though the recital will again be great - lots of wonderful pieces submitted so far!
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Kawaigirl1
Lots of great submissions guys! Can't wait to hear them all thumb

I dunno, Kawaigirl. There is a noticeable omission in the recital so far (= YOURS!). Are you going to be able to submit something this time? [holds breath, crosses fingers]
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 11:20 AM
what do you get if you muliply five by nine

The same thing you get if you multiply nine by five? Or was this simply a rhetorical question?

JF
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by epf
I'm still working on getting a good take of my piece. I am a perfectionist, so I get really upset with anything that is less.

Ed

Ed - This must be pretty tough on you most of the time since perfection seems to be such an extremely rare commodity in piano performance - even at the highest levels. Maybe it might be helpful to lower your expectations ever so slightly...

JF
Posted By: dannylux Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 12:21 PM
41. MegumiNoda - Improvisation #15 "Hommage a Edith Piaf" (Francis Poulenc)

I'm really looking forward to hearing you play this wonderful piece, MegumiNoda.

Mel
Posted By: epf Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by John Frank
Originally Posted by epf
I'm still working on getting a good take of my piece. I am a perfectionist, so I get really upset with anything that is less.

Ed

Ed - This must be pretty tough on you most of the time since perfection seems to be such an extremely rare commodity in piano performance - even at the highest levels. Maybe it might be helpful to lower your expectations ever so slightly...

JF
John,

I wish I could do that. And, yes, it is pretty tough. If you recall, the piece I submitted last time I called a "complete disaster" -- yet hardly anybody noticed what, to me, were glaring errors.

I will get a recording I can submit and I know it won't be perfect -- but it will be the best I can do. I won't settle for less than that.

Ed
Posted By: MegumiNoda Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by dannylux
41. MegumiNoda - Improvisation #15 "Hommage a Edith Piaf" (Francis Poulenc)

I'm really looking forward to hearing you play this wonderful piece, MegumiNoda.

Mel

The piece really is gorgeous; thanks, Mel, for introducing me to it!

I'm afraid I don't do it justice yet, but I want to commemorate my first submission by playing something that I learned about from the PW forum; I hope everyone will indulge me this time :-)
Posted By: Mati Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/12/10 05:49 PM
Don't worry, you do it justice just fine, I'm sure! Facing music wholeheartedly is so much fun (as Stresemann would say) - I just can't wait to hear your great music, Nodame! smile Especially considering the fact I'm not familiar with this piece and I'm soooo curious!

M.
Posted By: CMohr Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 01:59 AM
OK - so tomorrow I have the opportunity to record my recital piece on my teacher's studio Steinway grand! yippie I'm very excited/nervous and hoping I can get a good recording - different piano, different setting will be a little weird.

It was my teacher's suggestion (He has played my piano many times, so I think he wants my submission to sound as good as possible) smile Cross your fingers for me - man, I'm cutting it close this time!

I'm in at number 45. Would like to have submitted a cleaner version, but I'd like to be able to shoot 65 at Pebble Beach, and that ain't happening either. I'm pleased with what I've got.
Posted By: Teodor Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 08:12 AM
Looks like I won't make it. I tried recording but I couldn't concentrate on the playing at all. I even tried playing some of the simple things I know and I made tons of mistakes even though they are normally easy. I guess I can't record anything. I have to concentrate on next week's recital, I hope I won't mess it up.
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by CMohr
OK - so tomorrow I have the opportunity to record my recital piece on my teacher's studio Steinway grand! yippie I'm very excited/nervous and hoping I can get a good recording - different piano, different setting will be a little weird.

It was my teacher's suggestion (He has played my piano many times, so I think he wants my submission to sound as good as possible) smile

Hey, CMohr - Sounds really promising and good luck with that - but...

This all could be a recipe for RDDS (Red Dot Dysfunction Syndrone), given all the differences piled on top of your renewed and higher expectations and those of your teacher - no wonder you're nervous - while the sound of his piano might be better, will the new setting (and the expectations) lead to an improved performance, given the increased "pressure" and the enhanced "jitter-factor"?

Just wondering if your teacher should be involved at all in your ABF Recital project (other than coming here to listen to it)?

JF
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano
I'm in at number 45. Would like to have submitted a cleaner version, but I'd like to be able to shoot 65 at Pebble Beach, and that ain't happening either.

You mean you haven't? Pebble beach is a "piece of cake". I shot a 65 there on any number of occassions*.

JF

* for the 1st 9 holes laugh

Originally Posted by CMohr

It was my teacher's suggestion (He has played my piano many times, so I think he wants my submission to sound as good as possible) smile Cross your fingers for me - man, I'm cutting it close this time!

Sounds like a great opportunity to have fun. Enjoy the experience, the result is probably the least important factor. Allow the Steinway to draw from you what it will. I think your teacher's offer as well as involvement is great.
Originally Posted by Teodor
Looks like I won't make it. I tried recording but I couldn't concentrate on the playing at all. I even tried playing some of the simple things I know and I made tons of mistakes even though they are normally easy. I guess I can't record anything. I have to concentrate on next week's recital, I hope I won't mess it up.

If you don't make it this go round keep working with the recording. You will get use to it and you will have another opportunity in a few months. Good luck!
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 02:31 PM
Well, today and tomorrow are my window for recording - I have to get started on work for a new client today, a huge job that may feed me for months laugh , and do an hour's worth of meeting for another client, and make some phone calls, but relatively speaking my time is my own today - yippee!

CMohr - how cool that your teacher is letting you use the grand! A support group, right there in River City! That should be a blast -

Teodor - yes, your recital, in that wonderful venue, should be really cool. Break a leg, as the theater folks say - we'll look forward to the next ABF recital for you, and be thinking of you for your live one this time around.

Cathy

Well, today and tomorrow are my window for recording - I have to get started on work for a new client today, a huge job that may feed me for months laugh , and do an hour's worth of meeting for another client, and make some phone calls, but relatively speaking my time is my own today - yippee!

Cathy

We all need to eat... even starving piano players laugh

Good luck on all accounts!
Posted By: ddh Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 08:10 PM
I'm in at #47. cool
First time I struggle so much to record; not red dot nervous; just the length and difficulty of the piece. confused
Anyway, it's in, hesitations and all.

Eager to hear everyone.

Cheers
Posted By: Mochomu Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 08:47 PM
Hello everyone, and thank you Monica for organizing this.

I just completed my first submission ever (mine is #48).

I learned about this recital yesterday. Realizing I have only two days to submit, I scrambled to get one piece recorded before leaving for work this morning. I didn't like the recording with so many mistakes, but I din't wait until last minutes to figure out how to upload etc.

Now that know how to submit, I hope I can polish up a little more tonight and resubmit it tomorrow.

Cheers!
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 09:04 PM
Okay, MightyS, you got me curious, so I cheated double-checked your recital entry, and all I can say is wow . My jaw was dropping open. What a terrific debut for the AB forum recital. thumb
Posted By: Copper Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/13/10 09:28 PM

OK, I'm in.

I have to admit I have gotten really lame (even used the strings). This morning I really thought I wouldn't make this one. This makes about 3 in a row where I was working on something and just didn't get it done so I bailed and did some fake book piece. Way back when we said it was about participation - right?

Excuses? Flight instructing, tending to and leasing 2 airplanes and building iPhone Apps - pilot related stuff.

Anyway I just barely got something in. And as always I look forward to listening all the wonderful work that is done here.

Okay, MightyS, you got me curious, so I cheated double-checked your recital entry, and all I can say is wow . My jaw was dropping open. What a terrific debut for the AB forum recital. thumb

Ok, I am hooked. I guess I will be jumping straight to 48 ... 47, wherever MightyS winds up.

MightyS, MSH... hmmmm, do I sense competition Monica?
Posted By: epf Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 02:26 AM
Warts and all, I'm in at number 51 (I settled for something that was less -- way less -- than perfect).

Ed
Posted By: ddh Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 03:50 AM
Ed, amongst Algonquins, only the great Manitou is deemed worthy of perfection.

Their artists and artisans always leave a flaw in their work, out of respect for the Manitou.

Let's say your recording is respectful. wink

Cheers
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 05:02 AM
I'm in. Right after Ed's eagerly anticipated Dill Pickle Rag. I've played that on my hammered dulcimer, so I can hardly wait.

Cathy
Posted By: CMohr Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 06:23 AM
I'm in at #54. Finally, whew! I did submit the recording I did today on my teacher's Steinway. There's a few little "blue dot" grey matter mis-firings, but O well.

It was really pretty cool playing a great piano in a small concert hall - I was just about through the first take when a guy comes in to move chairs out of the back of the hall and yells "hi!" - then I forgot to turn my cell phone off and of course someone calls - after that it was smooth sailing (interruption-wise). I only had about 45 minutes to try recording, but it was exciting.

It took me a while to get into a totally different "feel" on the grand. It has much stiffer action and the sustain pedal is much harder to work than on my piano. Definitely worth the experience.

I had recorded my piece at home also, and had a hard time deciding which to submit - the grand won out mainly because the lower register is so much clearer than my piano's.
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 06:33 AM
thumb CMohr -

Cathy
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 01:32 PM
Less than 12 hours to the deadline for submissions!! eek
Posted By: casinitaly Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 01:59 PM
Ok, I'm in! Number 55.

Now I understand what everyone has been talking about when referring to the dreaded RED DOT! argh.

Posted By: Inlanding Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 02:12 PM
So many wonderful pieces submitted. It's going to be great listening.

Whew! Number 58, barely

Glen

Posted By: AlexDreamer Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 02:36 PM
Last minute version.
I settled for a better version with one mistake (instead of the "plain but without wrong notes).
Did no less that 15 recordings smirk

Originally Posted by Mohan Karthi

Mohan Karthik - My Heart will go on (Céline Dion)

Originally Posted by Serge88

Serge88 - My Heart Will Go On (James Horner (performed by Celine Dion))

No less than 2 versions !
What arrangement did you use ?
Posted By: SAMoore Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 04:11 PM
I think I may have to miss this one....nothing worth submitting...
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 04:15 PM
Say it ain't so, Sandy: You've got a major streak going on! eek
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 04:27 PM
Alex Dreamer - exactly the right choice! More music, less worry about "mistakes"! Live life! I'm looking forward to hearing your piece.

laugh I just listened to my recital piece and discovered that the improv is in 3/4 - I had no idea laugh I just - improv'd. I'm not sure previous times that I've done this that it was.

It is such a relief to have it in. . .

Cathy
Posted By: TTigg Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 05:10 PM
TODAY IS my recording day (crosses fingers). I'm pretty confident of getting the Zoom recording done but I'd really like to get the video done also so hopefully that pans out.

As for which one, I guess I'll record both Einaudi pieces and see which one sounds / looks best.. smile

- SC
Originally Posted by IPIBAHN - Sandy

frown
Alex Dreamer - exactly the right choice! More music, less worry about "mistakes"! Live life! I'm looking forward to hearing your piece.

laugh I just listened to my recital piece and discovered that the improv is in 3/4 - I had no idea laugh I just - improv'd. I'm not sure previous times that I've done this that it was.

It is such a relief to have it in. . .

Cathy

Yay!
Posted By: Peyton Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 08:50 PM

You can always do John Cages "44'33". I don't think anyone has done that yet... smile
Posted By: TrapperJohn Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Peyton

You can always do John Cages "44'33". I don't think anyone has done that yet... smile

Is that the expanded, enhanced version of "4'33""? smile

But I think it has been done. I guess you just didn't "hear" it. laugh

JF
Posted By: wj3 Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/14/10 10:26 PM
I am going to miss this one also.... I don't have a darn thing ready.... I'll try to get something going by next time....
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 12:57 AM
Going once... going twice.... I'm about to transform into my AB Forum Recital alter ego and close the recital website for submissions. If anybody is frantically trying to upload a piece or having problems doing so, now would be an excellent time to pipe up on the thread and ask for help. smile
Posted By: TTigg Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 12:57 AM
I'm uploading now!!
Posted By: TTigg Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 12:58 AM
BTW no Video and horribly "rushed" recording on the digital but hopefully it's in.. thumb
- SC
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 01:01 AM
Yup, you're in, TTigg, and it's a good thing... we'd hate to miss out on an Einaudi piece! eek
Posted By: TTigg Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 01:03 AM
Yup, you're in, TTigg, and it's a good thing... we'd hate to miss out on an Einaudi piece! eek

Thanks M!

When I test played it was sounding funny (as the MP3s do sometimes) so people may just have to download the MP3 directly, we'll see.

I WILL not leave it so bloody late next time and I will get a proper recording done (with video) very soon to redeem myself thumb

Cheers
- SC
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 01:17 AM
A lot of times it's just that playback button, TTigg. Your recording will be fine in the zip files. thumb

and...

...gone.

Recital closed. smile
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 03:32 AM
Well, that was ALMOST an exciting recital upload process. I work with two computers to do the recital, a desktop where I copy and paste all the submissions and a laptop where I create and upload all the zip files. About half an hour ago I noticed that the laptop was getting very, very warm--nay, almost burning hot--to the touch. Then a little warning icon I've never seen before started flashing. But I had 3 zip files yet to create and upload. eek

I very quickly created and copied the zip files to a flash drive and held my breath in hopes that the rest of the recital, and me, wouldn't go up in flames.

Guess it's time for a new laptop. bah
Posted By: jotur Re: Recital #18 --- Call For Submissions - 05/15/10 04:34 AM
Whew! That's stressful laugh Glad you're still around -

Cathy
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums