Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Fletcher1 Cleaning my Piano - 08/03/09 11:16 PM
I just bought a brand new piano, and I have heard from different sources what I should clean my polymer ebony finished upright piano with- everyone seems to have a different opinion on cleaning it. I know better than to use harsh chemicals on it.

My dealer suggested that I clean it with 50% original Windex and 50% water, will that ruin my finish? Expert help is appreciated. laugh
Posted By: rysowers Re: Cleaning my Piano - 08/03/09 11:35 PM
I've even used straight windex on polyester finish pianos without a problem. They are very tough, and aren't affected by water, or most detergents.
Posted By: Fletcher1 Re: Cleaning my Piano - 08/04/09 04:08 AM
thanks smile
Posted By: curry Re: Cleaning my Piano - 08/04/09 05:13 AM
1 Tbs of white vinegar in a half cup of water. Windex will cause cloudiness of the finish over time.
Posted By: Marty Flinn Re: Cleaning my Piano - 08/04/09 09:56 PM
1/3 rubbing alcohol 2/3 distilled water. Mist then wipe with a 100% cotton cloth or microfiber cloth. I have been using this for 20+ years in my stores with good results. The alcohol cuts the fingerprints and helps the fact drying. The distilled water leaves no mineral deposits behind. This solution should only be used on modern polyester finishes. Not older urathanes or traditional laquers.
Posted By: Barb860 Re: Cleaning my Piano - 08/04/09 10:41 PM
What about products to clean the keys? There is currently discussion in the teachers' forum about spreading germs, we have sick/contagious kids coming to lessons and are wondering about that. Can antibacterial wipes be used on the keys, white and black?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums