Piano World Home Page
I am thinking of buying a 50 year old piano that a RPT is selling. It would be my first piano. Is it rude to ask if I can ask another RPT to inspect it? What if they turn out to be friends? Am I overthinking this?

Would I be wrong to assume the piano is in good condition, if it was owned and used by a RPT?

Thank you!
You have a right to have it inspected by whoever you want. No one should have a problem with having a piano they are selling inspected by a qualified individual.

Chances are they do know each other. But doctors know each other, too, and do 2nd opinions all the time.

RPTs have signed a code of ethics in which they agree to do the best for their customers. If you hire an RPT, they are working for YOU and owe you an honest evaluation.

But yes, if it is owned by an RPT, it is probably already marked at a fair price. Nonetheless, it is better to have an inspection beforehand than get bad (or at least surprising) news after the purchase.
I concur with Keith's advice.

I have had the experience of a fellow PTGer coming to my shop to inspect a piano I had for sale and who is on record disagreeing and slandering work that I do ask me with a straight face; "What work have you done on the piano". (Mind you the piano had new soundboard, pin-block, bridges, strings, agraffes, action parts and finish.) I replied; "If you can't tell what has been done and the piano obviously looks like new, what are you charging the customer for?
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

I have had the experience of a fellow PTGer coming to my shop to inspect a piano I had for sale and who is on record disagreeing and slandering work that I do ask me with a straight face; "What work have you done on the piano". (Mind you the piano had new soundboard, pin-block, bridges, strings, agraffes, action parts and finish.) I replied; "If you can't tell what has been done and the piano obviously looks like new, what are you charging the customer for?

Sadly, and example that not everyone lives up to their organizational ideals.
It just goes to show that not all techs are equal, whether or not they belong to an organization.
And of course there is human imperfection...

Pwg
Originally Posted by BDB
It just goes to show that not all techs are equal, whether or not they belong to an organization.

So true. Even they are all honest, they may have different view point.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums