Piano World Home Page
Posted By: JdhPiano924 Action of the Boston McPhail - 12/30/17 01:21 PM
I own an older 1914 Boston McPhail baby grand. Overall for what I paid for it(free with cost to move ) it’s been a great instrument. I have posted on here before, and my long term goal will be to purchase a newer grand, but until then this piano has been great.

Most problems with it are easily addressed, but had a question about the action of the piano. The bass is heavy and stiff with it getting progressively lighter as it moves up the treble. Is there anyway to fix this? Or just normal for for type of piano?
Posted By: Blues beater Re: Action of the Boston McPhail - 12/30/17 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by JdhPiano924
I own an older 1914 Boston McPhail baby grand. Overall for what I paid for it(free with cost to move ) it’s been a great instrument. I have posted on here before, and my long term goal will be to purchase a newer grand, but until then this piano has been great.

Most problems with it are easily addressed, but had a question about the action of the piano. The bass is heavy and stiff with it getting progressively lighter as it moves up the treble. Is there anyway to fix this? Or just normal for for type of piano?

The hammers in the bass are much heavier. Perhaps you are feeling what is normal for any piano. Check out some others,

Don
Posted By: P W Grey Re: Action of the Boston McPhail - 12/30/17 03:33 PM
Have you had it tuned and serviced by a qualified tech? Have you brought it to his/her attention? What did they say?

It is relatively normal to have a progression of weight ad was stated. There are things that can cause abnormal changes in that though. They may need to be investigated.

Pwg
Posted By: JdhPiano924 Re: Action of the Boston McPhail - 12/30/17 03:47 PM
Yeah, about to have to tunes again and have the tuning pins fixed. I know it’s normal, it just felt more of an extreme then I am used to.
Posted By: David Boyce Re: Action of the Boston McPhail - 12/30/17 10:23 PM
What is to be "fixed" about the tuning pins? You could ask the tuner to measure the Downweight and Upweight of a few notes in over the compass of the piano, make a note of the results and let us know. A competent tuner will be able to make those measurements.
Posted By: Rick_Parks Re: Action of the Boston McPhail - 12/30/17 11:01 PM
More than likely has to do with something in the regulation. But, there are far too many possibilities as to why...From friction, to damper lift timing, to bad parts- just too many things to troubleshoot without being with the instrument.

Like was said, get a competent tuner-TECH out to have a look.
Ask him what he thinks about the way it plays...Ask him to check out the regulation of the instrument and the condition of the action overall.
He will probably report to you that the time has come that you simply have got to do certain things for the instrument to get what you want out of it. Old instruments need more care.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums