Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Miguel Rey Piano undercovers - 05/09/13 02:49 PM
Anyone know the material used for the under covers used in with humid control systems like damp chaser? Not clear , seen a couple different types. Mylar and speaker cover material.
Posted By: RestorerPhil Re: Piano undercovers - 05/09/13 11:25 PM
The couple of undercovers that I have done from Schaff (Dampp Chaser) seemed to be just like the old double knit fabric from the seventies - a stretchy polyester.

Er, I am not confessing that I ever had double knit bell bottoms or even knew someone who did, by the way.
blush
Posted By: Supply Re: Piano undercovers - 05/10/13 02:37 AM
Busted!
Posted By: David Jenson Re: Piano undercovers - 05/10/13 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by RestorerPhil

Er, I am not confessing that I ever had double knit bell bottoms or even knew someone who did, by the way.
blush

I almost believe you for one reason. A tie-died shirt, longish hair, and paisley double knit bell bottoms worn in most parts of Georgia would have put you in danger of red-neck hoots and catcalls.
Posted By: Miguel Rey Re: Piano undercovers - 05/10/13 06:43 PM
So i'm safe to assume that some good quality speaker cloth should be fine. Just trying to decipher why Dampp chaser is so adamant about having a technician do the instal. Guess the same reason why there are $400.00 string covers out there when you can just buy the wool cloth for 30 bucks and cut and stitch your own.

http://www.amazon.com/Mellotone-Premium-Black-Speaker-Grill/dp/B003S62HP4/ref=pd_sbs_misc_2

Posted By: David Jenson Re: Piano undercovers - 05/11/13 11:38 AM
I think anything that keeps drafts from pumping the air out from under the piano would work.
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: Piano undercovers - 05/11/13 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by David Jenson
I think anything that keeps drafts from pumping the air out from under the piano would work.

This makes sense, but it should be as sonically transparent as possible, unless sound reduction is the aim.

IMHO - Depends won't work.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums