Piano World Home Page

New Owner of a U1 ... Question

Posted By: poggler

New Owner of a U1 ... Question - 02/19/13 04:11 PM

I'm the proud new father of a Yamaha U1. It was just delivered yesterday and (for the most part) sounds in-tune. I'm going to be following the instructions the dealer gave me to wait about a month before I have it tuned for the first time.

I'm a very amateur piano player. I took lessons many years ago. I noticed there appears to be a slight rubbing sound when I press a C#... the one in the set below middle C. It's very slight but still noticeable when playing lightly. It's a soft rubbing like a piece of felt or very light wood or something.

Is this a normal occurrence? Is it something the tuner will be able to look at and/or fix (if there's anything wrong) in the tuning or is this something I should have looked at by a repair technician?

Thanks.
Posted By: Supply

Re: New Owner of a U1 ... Question - 02/19/13 05:08 PM

Ideally the tuner will be well versed in technical adjustments and repairs. Be sure to mention the sound when you schedule the tuning appointment.

There is a chance that some small piece of debris has fallen in between the two keys, causing the rub. You can try running something thin and stiff like a credit card between the offending keys to see if you can dislodge anything.
Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: New Owner of a U1 ... Question - 02/19/13 05:14 PM

This sort of topic has been discussed hundreds of times before. You'll likely find a lot of information if you use the search function.

Any mechanical problems you have, are not tuning related.

Little problems after delivery are quite typical with new pianos.

You need to tell the technician PRIOR to their arrival that you have an issue or more, so that they can schedule additional time for whatever you encounter before their first visit. Write it all down before you call for the appointment and tell them at that time giving your best description.

Not all tuners are technicians too. If the tuner/technician is competent they should be able to fix anything on the piano besides tuning.

Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Re: New Owner of a U1 ... Question - 02/19/13 05:46 PM

You might also give your dealer a call and let him/her know about your concern.
Posted By: pianotune2

Re: New Owner of a U1 ... Question - 02/19/13 07:47 PM

I second what Marty said, give the dealership a call. That way when the tech shows up he knows that his time is going to be covered.
Posted By: poggler

Re: New Owner of a U1 ... Question - 02/19/13 09:04 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I tried running a credit card around the keys just to see if I could clear anything or feel anything obstructing the key. I also peered in between the keys and casing with a flashlight. My inexperienced eyes didn't see anything. The keys seem to move fine just a little extra noisy or rubby than the other keys.

The dealer had given me the number for the tuner (first tuning is free). According to the dealer, he's a top-notch tuner who is a member of the guild and actually teaches tuning. I called him and he said it's not uncommon, probably nothing serious, and will be something he'll check out when he comes to tune it the first time in about a month.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums