Piano World Home Page
Posted By: peraspera19 Ballade in G Minor: Criticism Requested - 11/28/12 10:12 PM
PianoWorld:

Long time reader, first time poster. I am preparing to record Chopin's Ballade in G Minor. I am a computer scientist, not a pianist, so this was quite an ordeal for me to learn.

Here is my trial performance (76MB):
www.jrwallrabenstein.com/Media/Ballade_in_G_Minor_Stream.m4v

Issues I am aware of:

Bar 19: I used the LH chord from bar 197
Bar 34: Accent too light to show start of new phrase
Bar 43: Sloppy transition
Bars 56 - 63: Missed the runs. I learned the piece primarily on my digital (I'm in an apartment), so I'm used to slightly different key spacing.
Bar 66: Video Transition, I used the ending from the second trial run.
Bar 136: Lost just the turn of the run
Bar 141: The E flat, D, C, B flat could be more accentuated
Bar 182: Missed LH note
Bar 200: Too long of a pause
Bar 246: Need to differentiate the turn of the run
Bar 252, 256: Too quick off top note, need gentler release

Of course, the presto con fuoco could be faster and clearer smile

I recorded this on a Pramberger (in my apartment, sorry about the acoustics) using two AT2050's and a Focusrite 2i2 preamp. The gain was a little low, so you may have to turn the volume up to hear everything. I used a Panasonic HD camcorder, but after linking the external audio in iMovie and exporting it appears to have been filmed with a potato.

Any and all criticism is welcome - I have a few weeks yet before I perform for my family. Thank you so much for your time!

Posted By: peterws Re: Ballade in G Minor: Criticism Requested - 11/30/12 12:27 PM
I listened to that; it had touches of Rackmaninoff in it. Sounds complex to me. The slow beginning could perhaps flow a tad better to maintain interest. I would speed it up, and shorten the silent bits, but what do I know? You handled the fast bits very well. Your list of perceived shortfalls - throw it away. Get into the music, feel what the composer feels. And how it feels to you. And enjoy what you do . . Well done!
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen! I think you are right - the beginning does drag, and I'll speed that up. If anyone else has comments, I would love your opinion as well. I promise to post an updated recording by the end of December. Thank you again for your thoughts and encouraging words!
UPDATE:

Here is the final version, with an introduction from The Pianist (I start playing at 3:35 if you don't care about the introduction):

http://vimeo.com/54994647

Thanks again to peterws for the comments!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums