Piano World Home Page

Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program?

Posted By: Karisofia

Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/06/08 05:40 PM

For three years now, I've been involved with what is now the National Music Certificate Program which uses the same syllabi as the Canadian RCM Examinations. I've enjoyed reading the posts from my Canadian colleagues and gaining more insight into the program. I would, however, like to get to know more people in the States who participate.

Here in Western Wisconsin we have six teachers taking part this year. We will 40 students doing their practical exams in a little more than a week. There are also centers in St. Paul, Minn. and in Watertown, Wis.
Posted By: John v.d.Brook

Re: Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/07/08 12:25 PM

Not involved, but wish it were possible to be. I am hoping that Guild fulfils its promise to incorporate a theory leg for their program.

Why am I not involved? For years, I taught theory at my Saturday group class sessions. Presently, my home/studio simply cannot accomodate these classes and my wife's needs, so I am looking for (and cross your fingers, maybe found) a stand alone studio, where I could then resume teaching group lessons on Saturdays. Then I will probably incorporate the NMCP.

Re: Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/07/08 06:37 PM

I do hope you get the chance! It has been a wonderful experience. So far, I have survived without offering separate theory classes although there are usually a couple extra panic sessions scheduled right before the test. =)
Posted By: cjp_piano

Re: Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/24/08 04:17 PM

Several of my students participate in the program, we love it! I'm in Ohio, where we have 10 exam centers. Here in Cincinnati, if I'm not mistaken, we have the largest exam center in the country! I'm fortunate to be here in this area as several teachers are also on the College of Examiners and Advisory Committee for NMCP.

Let's get the word out!

Re: Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/26/08 07:53 PM

Yes, Cincinnati is the largest. Ohio is a happening place in this regard. Question for you since you are obviously involved in the state MTA: What all is involved in making the NMCP a state program? I would like to see Wisconsin adopt it as we have no certificate or exam program at this time. Our state officials, however, do not really want to start new programs at the moment. Would they have to do more than pass a resolution adopting it?
Posted By: cjp_piano

Re: Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/26/08 08:09 PM

I'm not certain, but I think it's just a matter of your state MTA board voting to adopt it as the state certification program. Remind them that the NMCP program gives money back to the state for every student that participates. This money can be used to student scholarships, which is great! We've given thousands of dollars from this money coming back!

Go to our OhioMTA officers page:

http://www.ohiomta.org/state.asp?page=stateofficers

And contact the State Certification Chair to see how we did it.

Re: Anyone involved in the National Music Certificate Program? - 05/26/08 09:21 PM

Thank you. I will have to investigate the money part. Dollar signs can be quite persuasive. Maybe that's a sad statement, but I'll use just about any argument right now. I've been very pleased with the progress my students are making in the program, and I do want to see it grow.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums