Piano World Home Page
Posted By: roseindecember Good repertoire lists - 03/28/06 01:04 AM
I've been teaching for about 2 years now, and I have just started taking on late intermediate students. The question constantly running through my mind is something like this: "Okay, I know she can learn to clean up her pedaling, but what is a good piece that will challenge her in this way?" or "He really tenses up his wrists when playing speedy scale passages, but where is a good piece that will help me get him on track?" Do any of you know of a list of repertoire that has been made with the purpouse of studying typical technical problems? I have already tried and loved the "Technic is Fun" series, and I am aware that etudes are a great way to start. But is there a "teacher-friendly" list of good repertoire out there, and how can I find it??
Posted By: kwoksmusic Re: Good repertoire lists - 03/28/06 06:21 AM
I have limited experience but I can share my own with regards to tensed wrist. Brahms 51 exercises - ex. 26a, b and c. Play very slowly, rotating wrist to help fingers reach notes, relaxing and if necessary stopping with each note to ensure relaxation, before moving to next note. Do separately for as long as needed to learn it, before putting hands together. I myself have this problem, so a teacher used it on me, and I found highly effective for learning to relax wrist.

I can recommend one piece where that circular wrist technique can be directly applied to. It's from Bach's 18 little preludes - Prelude in D minor BWV 926. I found this prelude very useful for applying this technique. It's something I'm trying to master well so I can pass on the correct technique to my (only) student - at least for now.

Hope these recommendations help. Sorry don't know much more.

Kwok
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums