Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Ticklintheivories Elderly piano teacher - 08/30/20 02:42 PM
I signed up for lessons with a new teacher that was recommended to me. But he is 90 years old. I am hesitant.
I know he has many, many years of teaching experience. He said he will introduce me to a classical foundation and then have me play what I want, which is pop and rock music.
What do you think?
Posted By: dogperson Re: Elderly piano teacher - 08/30/20 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ticklintheivories
I signed up for lessons with a new teacher that was recommended to me. But he is 90 years old. I am hesitant.
I know he has many, many years of teaching experience. He said he will introduce me to a classical foundation and then have me play what I want, which is pop and rock music.
What do you think?

Depends on the 90 year old. I take occasional lessons from a 90+ yo who is as mentally sharp as most 40 yo.
You won’t know the answer unless you try it
Posted By: Candywoman Re: Elderly piano teacher - 08/31/20 08:00 AM
I think this might be your one chance to learn from this teacher and you should take it. If taking this lesson is living dangerously for you, I would either get out more or take up skydiving.
Posted By: Animisha Re: Elderly piano teacher - 08/31/20 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Candywoman
If taking this lesson is living dangerously for you, I would either get out more or take up skydiving.
laugh

You wrote that you have signed up, so it is only fair to keep your end of the deal. Give it a try and see if you match. When is your first lesson? Please tell us what you thought.
Posted By: Ticklintheivories Re: Elderly piano teacher - 08/31/20 01:24 PM
First lesson is Friday. I will give him a few weeks and see how it goes. I don’t think I can tell by one meeting.
Posted By: newer player Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/01/20 12:50 AM
I have taken music lessons from several "experienced" music teachers. Worked out great in every instance. Go in with an open mind.
Posted By: keystring Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/02/20 11:36 PM
First lesson is Friday. I will give him a few weeks and see how it goes. I don’t think I can tell by one meeting.
Is it too early to ask how it went? smile
Posted By: dogperson Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/02/20 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by keystring
Is it too early to ask how it went? smile

Yep, too early. Wait until Friday evening after the lesson 😺
Posted By: keystring Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/03/20 12:08 AM
Oh my, you're right. I was pushing a tight schedule all last week, hardly knowing whether it was day or night and am all turned around it seems. I dare say I seem to be inordinately curious about this one. Dunno why.
Posted By: Ticklintheivories Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/09/20 04:26 PM
Well here’s a Report back for anyone interested.
I have moved to a younger teacher.
This gent is knowledgeable in the kind but his playing suffers from arthritis.
I don’t see how I can learn when he cannot demonstrate certain things.
I feel bad but if I’m paying good money I want the best experience I can get.
Posted By: Candywoman Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/10/20 04:04 PM
I think you made a mistake. A teacher doesn't have to play for you. You didn't even give him a chance.
Posted By: missbelle Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/10/20 04:25 PM
If I break my arm, will you quit lessons from me?
Posted By: Animisha Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/10/20 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Candywoman
I think you made a mistake. A teacher doesn't have to play for you. You didn't even give him a chance.
I don't agree. A teacher demonstrating how to play is extremely important, especially in the beginning, so you develop correct habits right from the start.
Posted By: Sammysammi Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/10/20 08:20 PM
The only thing i would be worried about is meeting up with a 90 year old during COVID era.

I would worry a lot about my risk to them
Posted By: AZNpiano Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/10/20 10:23 PM
I don’t see how I can learn when he cannot demonstrate certain things.

Arthritis is no joke! I have some early signs of it already and it has crippled a few of my extended family members, so I'm doing everything I can to make recordings of my current playing so I can "prove" to future clients that I have the required piano skills to teach.
Posted By: larrykoch680 Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/15/20 02:58 PM
I don’t see how I can learn from http://forum.pianoworld.com when he cannot demonstrate certain things.

yes you are saying right!
Posted By: keystring Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/15/20 03:53 PM
The post by larrykoch680 above mine is spam. He has inserted an advert link into the quote that is not there in the original quoted post, which leads to merchandise. The "report spam" button is not where I can find it. Can someone report to a mod?
Posted By: dogperson Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/15/20 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by keystring
The post by larrykoch680 above mine is spam. He has inserted an advert link into the quote that is not there in the original quoted post, which leads to merchandise. The "report spam" button is not where I can find it. Can someone report to a mod?

Reported. For future reference, the report button is one of the drop-down options found to right of post number.
Posted By: jeffcat Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/15/20 08:42 PM
His students are like the members of the shoot squad, None of you will know who has the real bullet, who's carrying the blank, but you are his executioners.

Unless he's Whole Food Plant Based, those people almost live forever and are the only ones equipped to survive covid at that age.
Posted By: keystring Re: Elderly piano teacher - 09/15/20 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by dogperson
Reported. For future reference, the report button is one of the drop-down options found to right of post number.

Thanks. Couldn't remember. I've been doing really long hours working. It just escaped me.

BBplayer - love your edit! laugh
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums