Piano World Home Page

Sticky Fingers

Posted By: Duaner

Sticky Fingers - 07/31/19 01:01 PM

Hi I'm wondering what I could use in terms of powder etc for sticky fingers (caused from being nervous) when I play in front of an audience? What is recommended?
Posted By: Eric399

Re: Sticky Fingers - 07/31/19 02:07 PM

If you smear stuff on your hands, you're not touching my piano! :-)
No, but really - I'd say powder could drop between the keys which would not be so good. A good old handkerchief, taken with you on stage, wouldn't that be sufficient?
Posted By: SoundThumb

Re: Sticky Fingers - 07/31/19 10:24 PM

This is a great question. I have seen some students using a small hand towel just before they play. That hasn't seemed to work for me. Still looking for a solution.
Posted By: mimi9

Re: Sticky Fingers - 07/31/19 11:05 PM

Other suggestions are here, including using antiperspirants:

https://joshuarosspiano.com/playing-piano-with-sweaty-hands/
Posted By: Candywoman

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/05/19 05:20 AM

I suggest practicing just after washing your hands. It may take about ten minutes for your hands to really dry. I use that time to get used to playing with sticky fingers.

The other suggestions are good, especially the fan idea, but it's good to see how you would deal with sweaty hands if a given technique failed you.
Posted By: malkin

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/05/19 12:17 PM

I agree with washing. You can also experiment with various products from cleanser made specifically for hands to something mild like cetaphil. It just depends how your body reacts.
Posted By: Pau Gasol

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/05/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Candywoman
I suggest practicing just after washing your hands. It may take about ten minutes for your hands to really dry.

I wash my hands, and keep some paper towels handy. I find it distracting to play if my hands are the least bit wet.
Posted By: Candywoman

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/06/19 06:31 PM

That's exactly the point. You want to be able to play under adversity. You can practice with the room being the wrong temperature, the seat the wrong height, a jacket on that you should have taken off, or a need to go to the bathroom that you have to be able to endure. Performance is all about playing in less than ideal circumstances. You can have somebody with developmental delays moaning in the audience, all sorts of distractions.
Posted By: WeakLeftHand

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/06/19 06:46 PM

My hands sweat when I’m nervous or anxious. When I was younger and interviewing for jobs, and needing to shake people’s hands a lot, I used a product called Perspirex. It is for people who have hyperhydrosis or excessive sweating. You apply it at night for several nights at the beginning, it absorbs and works it’s magic, and during the day your hands (or wherever you apply it) does not sweat. And no residue to get on your piano. After the initial applications, you can maintain the results with twice weekly application. Downside is that it dries your hands up so I didn’t use it long term, just when I knew I was interviewing. If you’re only concerned about a recital, which is a short term endeavour, I’d recommend trying it, but do read the instructions for best results!
Posted By: ClsscLib

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/07/19 03:59 PM

I sometimes think that, immediately after I have washed and dried my hands, the keys are more slippery than they are when I wait 10 or 15 minutes for metabolic or other processes to do whatever happens in the few minutes after hand washing. It's not that I advocate playing with dirty hands -- in fact, I'm quite averse to that. It's just that when my fingers have been freshly stripped of whatever normally builds on the skin over time, it's not a natural playing experience.
Posted By: malkin

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/08/19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ClsscLib
I sometimes think that, immediately after I have washed and dried my hands, the keys are more slippery than they are when I wait 10 or 15 minutes for metabolic or other processes to do whatever happens in the few minutes after hand washing. It's not that I advocate playing with dirty hands -- in fact, I'm quite averse to that. It's just that when my fingers have been freshly stripped of whatever normally builds on the skin over time, it's not a natural playing experience.

Agree.
For me this seems related to whatever product I use or don't use.
Posted By: Jays Octave

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/09/19 08:55 AM

Guys every piano player facing this issue while performing in front of audience. So, we can use so many otions when the fingers gone wet like paper hanky, power or cotten clothes. You can try any of them that will suitable for you.
Posted By: Napaeaylah

Re: Sticky Fingers - 08/28/19 11:22 AM

Wash your hands and Keep some Paper towels handy.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums