Piano World Home Page

This place is really dead

Posted By: Gary D.

This place is really dead - 02/28/19 11:22 PM

I'm looking at threads. I posted 8 hours ago, and there is another post from 21 hour ago. There is so little traffic here, most of the time it's not even worth looking in...
Posted By: malkin

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 12:38 AM

Sometimes it seems like things need to cool off for a while after it gets seriously derailed.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by malkin
Sometimes it seems like things need to cool off for a while after it gets seriously derailed.

Well, that's probably true, but what stops me from being more active is that I never know when someone has answered me. In other forums I get alerts the moment I log on. Also, when I reply to a post elsewhere there is an arrow showing everyone what I replied to. You just click the arrow.

Here I just don't know. If I don't remember exactly when and where I posted, and to whom, I just lose track. I can't depend on email alerts because so much goes on for me in email that alerts get lost...
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gary D.

Well, that's probably true, but what stops me from being more active is that I never know when someone has answered me. In other forums I get alerts the moment I log on. Also, when I reply to a post elsewhere there is an arrow showing everyone what I replied to. You just click the arrow.

Here I just don't know. If I don't remember exactly when and where I posted, and to whom, I just lose track. I can't depend on email alerts because so much goes on for me in email that alerts get lost...

I have felt the same way, never knowing when someone replies to something I wrote. I wish there was some type of alert system too.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 01:32 AM

I'm looking at threads. I posted 8 hours ago, and there is another post from 21 hour ago. There is so little traffic here, most of the time it's not even worth looking in...

Clearly everyone who is anyone on this forum is busy off teaching, because... well... students don't teach themselves wink
Posted By: JohnSprung

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 01:40 AM

This forum can be very active at times -- and like now, very inactive at others. That's just the way it is.
Posted By: CadenzaVvi

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 03:18 AM

It is true that this forum is a bit archaic in certain ways.

I don't like the fact that the threads you don't look gets marked as read. If I don't have time to read everything I'd like in one go, I'll miss it on my next connection. All other forums I frequented don't do that and many have a button to "mark everything has read" when you really want to mark everything has read.
Posted By: Piano*Dad

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 03:54 AM

Was there a big fight over something?

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

No.
Posted By: Tech-key

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:14 AM

No.

Sometimes there are though.. I keep coming here every now and then to check if there's one going on laugh

But I guess these things are frowned upon. *Sigh*
Posted By: Candywoman

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:20 AM

For the forum to be fun, people have to be willing to give others the benefit of the doubt. There also has to be a reason to connect, which there really isn't.

Ever since the beginning, the most common thread is a variation of "How do I enforce my policies?" The answer is by being assertive. But of course, in real life, it's next to impossible because there are not many students around to replace the duds. And the new ones coming in are just like the old ones you sent away.

Each teacher has his own methods, developed through years of practice and teaching. Why learn new techniques if you are managing to keep students and are doing a reasonable job? I myself never bother to go to any workshops or conferences because they're just a way for others to take money from me, and rave about some new fad/series of books.

This will sound controversial but there is no need to improve for me. I studied piano for almost twenty years of lessons and acquired a Bachelor of Music degree. I'm good enough for the purpose at hand, perhaps overqualified, teaching beginners to early advanced. Most kids stop at seventeen anyhow. Most have precious little time to practice.

The challenges a teacher faces are mostly practical and have nothing to do with music.

One need never discuss anything with other piano teachers, really.
Posted By: AZNpiano

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:40 AM

I do what I can to keep this place interesting. I contribute.

But I can't give away all the trade secrets.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by AZNpiano

You sure do AZN. Not to offend you or anything.. But I come here many a times to read your posts, and then leave in a self-righteous huff grin

You are good fun.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tech-key

You sure do AZN. Not to offend you or anything.. But I come here many a times to read your posts, and then leave in a self-righteous huff grin

You are good fun.

My brand of humor is an acquired taste, but if my 8-year-old students can understand my sarcasm, I guess sarcasm doesn't work well when typed.

I'm also here to battle myths and half-truths. The story of my life.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:07 AM

You are good fun.

My brand of humor is an acquired taste, but if my 8-year-old students can understand my sarcasm, I guess sarcasm doesn't work well when typed.

I'm also here to battle myths and half-truths. The story of my life.

Just throw a few of these wink wink around, and you'd be good to go!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:43 AM

My point: There was a question about Mixolydian. I think I gave a reasonable, intelligent answer, and a useful one. So far one response.

But look at all the responses in this thread.

I rest my case. It's hopeless.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 03:12 PM

Mixolydian ... hmmmm, is that a kind of mixtape?

Runs away

quickly.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShyPianist

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 03:24 PM

My tuppenceworth? I’d quite like to contribute to this board occasionally as I’m classically trained, completed the first year of a music undergraduate degree and in another life might well have been a professional teacher. But the teachers on here are a bit scary so I don’t, basically. 😃
Posted By: TimR

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 04:28 PM

[quote=Candywoman]
Ever since the beginning, the most common thread is a variation of "How do I enforce my policies?" The answer is by being assertive. But of course, in real life, it's next to impossible because there are not many students around to replace the duds. And the new ones coming in are just like the old ones you sent away.

/quote]

Sounds like you're burned out.

That was rude. I thought carefully about how to tactfully say it, because that's my style, though it doesn't always succeed. Then I thought about the complaints about not being lively here and did my best to border on offensiveness. Hee, hee.

I've been here for years. The most common thread is "they don't practice" and the second is "they don't pay on time." But secondary to that have been some really interesting discussions and I've learned a lot.

I'm sorry Gary's response on the mode didn't get much feedback. I really appreciated the effort he put into not only explaining but tracking down examples. A lot of times you read a book (that's where they hide secrets) and they give an example, but it's always a recording I don't have. Being able to jump to it instantly is huge, and a giant leap in pedagogy. Of course in a lesson you simply demonstrate but that isn't available to all of us.

and finally, in order for any community to function well, there has to be a balance of signal to noise. Forums or any group that insist on everything being on topic and relevant do not develop enough critical mass to be useful or rewarding. The noise component is important, including the occasional flame.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TimR
The noise component is important, including the occasional flame.

Of course. Flames are needed to attract moths. smile
Posted By: pianist_lady

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:05 PM

I've definitely learned some useful things from this forum, ideas that I've incorporated into my own teaching. What stops me from commenting here or asking questions more often is that there are so many non-teachers chiming in with opinions that many threads become uninformative. It's the internet so people are free to say what they want, but taking lessons is a completely different experience than being a teacher.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:22 PM

What stops me from commenting here or asking questions more often is that there are so many non-teachers chiming in with opinions that many threads become uninformative.

Well I guess I’m right to stay away then. Shame, because I’d have thought teachers could benefit from the informed opinions of people on the other side of the coin.
Posted By: Candywoman

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 07:53 PM

The opinions of parents of students don't carry much weight because they are not informed. You really have to go through one year of teaching to really understand many problems.

Burnt out? absolutely.
Posted By: ebonykawai

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ShyPianist
My tuppenceworth? I’d quite like to contribute to this board occasionally as I’m classically trained, completed the first year of a music undergraduate degree and in another life might well have been a professional teacher. But the teachers on here are a bit scary so I don’t, basically. 😃

I don't feel welcome here in the least. I check it every so often, but it's not a place I feel comfortable visiting.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:38 PM

I don't feel welcome here in the least. I check it every so often, but it's not a place I feel comfortable visiting.

There’s your answer OP. 😊

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:39 PM

What stops me from commenting here or asking questions more often is that there are so many non-teachers chiming in with opinions that many threads become uninformative.

Well I guess I’m right to stay away then. Shame, because I’d have thought teachers could benefit from the informed opinions of people on the other side of the coin.

And this has been the topic of quite a number of relatively hot threads ...

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:45 PM

The opinions of parents of students don't carry much weight because they are not informed. You really have to go through one year of teaching to really understand many problems.

Gosh, so as a teacher you have no interest in the experience and opinion of students, present or former, about particular teaching methods? You would have no interest in hearing from someone who studied for 15 years up to college diploma level, that’s just irrelevant to you? That’s mind blowing, but it sure explains why this board is dead.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:52 PM

Piano_Dad - and I think I might be stepping away just about now...

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 08:56 PM

Nah, just ignore those complaints.

Illegitimi non carborundum ... crazy

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Candywoman

Burnt out? absolutely.

Would it be worth starting a new thread on burnout? I hate to derail this one, and yet burnout does affect both students and teachers. Some of my own practice has shifted towards routine maintenance instead of growth, and that is largely new time commitments at work but partly energy level as well.

But starting a new thread is risky, not being a piano teacher and wanting to risk the inevitable opprobrium.

Not 100% sure I used that word correctly. It popped into my mind while I was typing so I grabbed it.
Posted By: Brahms4

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 09:09 PM

I read plenty of posts but rarely post myself. To be honest the fact that the site is not mobile friendly dissuades me. Typing this now the text is tiny but already goes off the screen both sides, ewhich gets worse if you zoom in....

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by pianist_lady
I've definitely learned some useful things from this forum, ideas that I've incorporated into my own teaching. What stops me from commenting here or asking questions more often is that there are so many non-teachers chiming in with opinions that many threads become uninformative. It's the internet so people are free to say what they want, but taking lessons is a completely different experience than being a teacher.

When uninformed (or misinformed) non-teachers chime in with their opinions, all you have to do is stomp on it the most forceful way possible.

But I always "try to" keep in mind that we don't all live in the same realities. My clients are mostly well-off and can afford to buy grand pianos (they just don't choose to). This is very different from teaching in places where parents can barely afford to buy piano books.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Candywoman

Well, I won't make such a blanket statement. There are intelligent parents and intelligent students who can make very astute observations and write about them in a cogent manner.

There are some "piano teachers" whose opinions I'm less inclined to corroborate. I remember one time there was a "piano teacher" who started a thread on how to pedal correctly, and she linked a bunch of late-intermediate videos to her website. I almost vomited.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 09:45 PM

Alternatively you could consider those opinions, take on board any helpful new perspectives and simply ignore the rest. There’s really no need to be aggressive about it! I find one of the most valuable characteristics of any teacher, music or otherwise, is humility.

PS written before your second post AZN.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:14 PM

Gosh, so as a teacher you have no interest in the experience and opinion of students, present or former, about particular teaching methods? You would have no interest in hearing from someone who studied for 15 years up to college diploma level, that’s just irrelevant to you? That’s mind blowing, but it sure explains why this board is dead.

Yes, doesn't it?

I'm interested in every bit of feedback I get from my students, and I continually learn more about many things by doing more research, more listening and talking actively to my students.

I don't fight with my students. I fight with other teachers who are close-minded and totally uninterested in changing.

There are things I'm doing right now that work that I did not do a year ago, things I discovered that work better. Without this change, everything would get old, and I'd have to quit. Without input from students, some of whom have excellent ideas, this place can turn into a non-stop gripe-fest.
Posted By: DFSRN

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:26 PM

Hello Gary,

Some tips that may help

On the right hand side of the screen, once you are logged in click your name.

Then click on the number of posts you have

Now you will see a list of your postings. When you click one of them this takes you to the post in that thread.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:28 PM

Gary, I try to limit my time, because I can get so caught up in the conversations and spend hours reading. This forum can be addicting. It runs into my practice time and I need all I can get.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:32 PM

I would like to think there are no fights, but debates and each side provides evidence for people to make a well informed decisions.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't' thinking." George S. Patton

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:43 PM

Gary,

I Don't Particularly Like Modes A Lot......................my piano teacher does!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:49 PM

ShyPianist, companies spend millions on customer surveys and marketing. I am not a piano teacher, however I have an education background in nursing and have taught. Input from customers is important for any organization or businesses that seek to thrive.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/01/19 11:50 PM

Precisely!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by DFSRN
ShyPianist, companies spend millions on customer surveys and marketing. I am not a piano teacher, however I have an education background in nursing and have taught. Input from customers is important for any organization or businesses that seek to thrive.

Absolutely. About clicking on my name and posts:

It's so slow. It means to track what I have written, I have to go to my last posts, one by one, but there is no guarantee there will be a single reply to me. Then, after day or more goes by, if someone replies later, it's lost.

In another forum I spend a lot of time on I will instantly get an alert if someone replies to something I've written, or even likes it.

And that forum does not stop me from editing, if I find a mistake, or if there is a problem.

Less than an hour ago I accidentally posted the wrong link, and that could have been a huge problem for me if I had not been able to edit it. But I was lucky I found it in time, because there is an almost zero window now on this site before anything we write is frozen. And I'm not the only one who hates that.

Back to feedback: I need it and like it. It tells me what is good, what is OK, and what needs to be changed. To me ignoring such feedback is incredibly arrogant.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 12:09 AM

Gary, let me tell you what keeps me motivated. My teacher is a paid performer at a nursing home once a month, it is an hour concert for the residents. My dad used to be there and now my father-in-law is there. He invites me to play a song and we have performed duets. Yes, I mess up, not every time, because I get nervous, he is very positive. This past week he played his keyboard and I used the nursing home piano (4 hands two pianos). The C below middle C was sticking and I could not recover, it was not too good. He said, we will play again next month the same piece you can use my keyboard and I will take the piano.

The residents love the concerts, even if my song is bad. I feel like I have a recital every month, sometimes we do the same piece until I get another one that I can play well. When a person gets out of their comfort zone, they really start to grow.

I feel like my teacher is vested in my learning and not there for a paycheck. I am challenged which keeps me motivated.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 01:44 AM

Apparantly, I'm rather a boor; it never occurred to me to worry about whether I was welcome here or not.

Sometimes I post; sometimes I don't. Sometimes I stick to my guns and try to clarify what I meant when people have clearly misunderstood; sometimes I don't persist. Sometimes it seems pretty clear that every other user has marked me with "IGNORE," but I hardly feel bad, because people ignore each other all the time, even when quoting each other's posts.

I guess I keep coming around because there are some interesting posts and some interesting posters.

As for mixolydian mode, I love that people know and discuss this. Personally, even knowing that there is a mixolydian mode is probably more information about mixolydian mode than I will ever need. At least this has been the case since I learned enough about modes to get an A in a music theory class. Nevertheless, Mixolydia would be a perfect name for a female bartender with a lot of tattoos.

I like the Teachers' Forum because I am interested teaching and learning in general and in specific areas, I can be rather passionate about it.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 02:27 AM

Mixolydia would be a perfect name for a female bartender with a lot of tattoos.

[Linked Image]

That needs to be in someone's signature line ... !!
Posted By: Blague

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 03:16 AM

I love your posts. I've a picture of you in my head of a combination drunk Bob Uecker in Major League and Mr. Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Why I personally don't contribute is I'm barely a month old in this hobby and don't know much of anything yet (only just learning and starting to practice legato!). I find the discussions on issues teachers have very interesting, though, and somewhat helps inform me of my own situation.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 04:03 AM

Apparantly, I'm rather a boor; it never occurred to me to worry about whether I was welcome here or not.

Sometimes I post; sometimes I don't. Sometimes I stick to my guns and try to clarify what I meant when people have clearly misunderstood; sometimes I don't persist. Sometimes it seems pretty clear that every other user has marked me with "IGNORE," but I hardly feel bad, because people ignore each other all the time, even when quoting each other's posts.
malkin, that's the exact attitude needed for spending any kind of active, fuss-free time on the internet. Skin as tough as a rhino's thumb

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 04:08 AM

Gary,
I did check your Mixolydian post, and the videos you linked were great! I'd admit I went to that post via this one. But don't blame me; the title of this post is a little too hard to resist!

You really shouldn't think that just because people don't thank/respond personally, they didn't like/appreciate what you wrote. Because, being a total noob, sometimes I feel I'm just posting one 'Thank You' after the other. Which makes me wonder, if I'm spamming the thread. There may be others like me too. Not saying just for the sake of it.. but I've read many of your previous posts, and I love your attitude towards teaching.

If only there was an Upvote button, that would be the most used feature for me in this forum. I learn a lot everyday from posts like yours and several others'. Thanks!

Oh, and I feel this particular post had an added benefit, because Piano*Dad introduced to me two very awesome smileys. [Linked Image] Thank you, Piano*Dad!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: outo

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:40 AM

These days I often read the forum with my phone when I have spare time...posting and especially quoting long posts with the phone is a nightmare though...so I often write shortly, which may lead into misunderstandings. Also there's the time difference: When I get back, the debate has
moved on smile

I am not a teacher but I do think there are other levels of valuable knowledge besides one's everyday experience and I do have some of that as someone with a research background and connections to educational field. As an adult student with special needs I also feel I can give some insides to teachers about possible reasons why their students may struggle with common methods even when they do practice and try their best to follow instructions. Because some students do not even know they are not "normal" and cannot voice their issues to the teacher. But often I do not post anymore because I realize now that the teachers may come here more to vent than actually looking for solutions...
Posted By: keystring

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 06:36 AM

A quiick thought on this one:
As for mixolydian mode, I love that people know and discuss this. Personally, even knowing that there is a mixolydian mode is probably more information about mixolydian mode than I will ever need. At least this has been the case since I learned enough about modes to get an A in a music theory class.

I got a grade of 99.95% in the theory exam where modes were part of the offing, But I have discovered since that there is an awful lot I never learned about how music really works. I'd not be surprised if you got the same kind of dry and impractical fare about modes that I did. The theory we learn tends to go toward a simplified version of Common Practice era music and there is so much more. The thread makes me want to learn even more.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 08:36 AM

Tell you one thing that would make me contribute more. Being able to write a post more frequently than every five minutes!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 08:55 AM

Tell you one thing that would make me contribute more. Being able to write a post more frequently than every five minutes!

I believe after you have made a few posts (maybe many?), the limitation goes away. At least I used to be limited, but now no longer.
Posted By: chasingrainbows

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 04:09 PM

I guess I keep coming around because there are some interesting posts and some interesting posters.

I like the Teachers' Forum because I am interested teaching and learning in general and in specific areas, I can be rather passionate about it.

Well said. I don't have the time to prove my statements (which may mean, going through a ton of books when I barely have a minute to visit this forum as it is). Nor do I feel like I have to. Some teachers expect that, I don't have to provide, nor does anyone really want to read, every single detail about an issue I may have, and I don't feel I have to give a lengthy explanation as to why I prefer one thing over another. I enjoy scanning through threads, I sometimes use the archaic, usually unsuccessful search engine on this site and usually appreciate most feedback.

To expect a thank you to every person who has provided helpful feedback is unrealistic, IMO.

Actually, I believe I sent a thank you thread out over the Christmas Holidays to all on PW.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 04:09 PM

And I also wish that I received notifications when replies to my threads are posted.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 04:49 PM

I don't know about that limitation. Maybe I don't post more often than that, or maybe this goes away with X number of posts. But the limitation for editing I think it outrageous.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
And I also wish that I received notifications when replies to my threads are posted.

In the upper right of the webpage, click the dropdown next to your forum handle "chasingrainbows" and select the "* Preferences" option. Go to the last section of the resulting window which looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Check the 'yes' next to the 3rd option which reads "Should anything be added..." and then click on the "Save Changes" button at the bottom.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:25 PM

I don't know about that limitation. Maybe I don't post more often than that, or maybe this goes away with X number of posts. But the limitation for editing I think it outrageous.

I agree with both of those points.

Years ago, I (briefly) joined a forum where EVERY post was reviewed by a mod before it showed up. You want to see dead, try that!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:31 PM

I agree with both of those points.

Years ago, I (briefly) joined a forum where EVERY post was reviewed by a mod before it showed up. You want to see dead, try that!

I think, as Tyrone suggested, that ShyPianist's limitations will go away after she has posted a number of times. There is something similar in another forum where I moderate, and the site owner there explained the situation to me. It seems that spambots invade forums, spawning large numbers of posts in a short time (the screenshot I saw had maybe 50), so sites employ some kind of program that limits posts by new posters to start with, and then lift that limit. Tyrone said that after he posted for a while, the limit was lifted so it may be this kind of thing.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:32 PM

Lots of suggestions for new features. Hmmm..

https://pianoworld.com/help-support-piano-world/
Posted By: bennevis

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:40 PM

But the limitation for editing I think it outrageous.

I believe this time limit (of five minutes?) only came about last year - possibly at the request of some PW members (?) - whose posts were rendered meaningless when posts they replied to were subsequently deleted or so heavily edited (often hours or even days later) that the original post was completely changed......presumably to make that poster seem more knowledgeable - or less silly crazy.

There were entire threads where posters seem to be saying things that made no sense, simply because the post(s) they replied or referred to had been deleted or completely changed by the person who posted it - after he/she had read the responses. There was one culprit in particular (who shall remain nameless, unless someone wants to PM me wink ) who had a very annoying habit of deleting his/her threads frequently, after people had already responded to them.

There has always been an easy (but not foolproof) way of negating around this problem - by quoting the post one is responding to - but many people don't, probably because it's more complicated to do this on a mobile device (?). But if the post one is quoting has been deleted before you have a chance to post your reply, you are blocked from posting it, because that post has disappeared. That's happened to me a few times, and it's intensely annoying when you've taken time to compose and edit your considered reply to someone, only to find that you cannot post it.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 05:51 PM

Yeah, fair enough. It’s probably no bad thing. It means I only persevere when I genuinely want to make a point. Maybe I should see if there’s an app to impose that limitation on me elsewhere. 😆

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 06:05 PM

Yeah, fair enough. It’s probably no bad thing. It means I only persevere when I genuinely want to make a point. Maybe I should see if there’s an app to impose that limitation on me elsewhere. 😆

You're at 93 posts--Stick it out and see what happens at 100.

You could start a thread on the ABF and write how you spent each 5 minute interval since your last post.
Posted By: pianoMom2006

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 07:52 PM

I don’t post as much as I used to because while most people on this forum are nice and helpful sometimes comments can be belittling. If one piano teacher insults another or a piano parent- the receiver can either “fight” back which can be time consuming or move on to something else.
Posted By: Morodiene

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 07:53 PM

Personally, I appreciate hearing from non-teachers on these subjects, as long as they are clear they are non-teachers (those of you who do post regularly will often mention this for the benefit of newbies who don't know this already), and also that teachers don't get attacked for using this as not only a place to arrive at solutions, but also to vent a little steam.

Private music teaching is a very lonely sort of business where collaboration between colleagues is often hampered by having to remain competitive. So having a forum like this has been very valuable to me, although in the past couple of years we've lost some contributors and frankly, I'm not sure there are many people going into the field these days. Or if they are, they're not into an archaic form like a forum and will use Youtube, or social media instead.

I, too, have given what I felt were very informative answers that barely got any acknowledgment. That certainly makes me not want to give those kinds of responses, and just cut things down to bare minimum.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Morodiene

I, too, have given what I felt were very informative answers that barely got any acknowledgment. That certainly makes me not want to give those kinds of responses, and just cut things down to bare minimum.

You are one of the most helpful people here. But I think, to be honest, that you are also hurt by not being able to track when people have answered you. It's really a huge problem here. There is also the problem that when we carefully answer another post there is no link or arrow pointing to that post. I see people quote another post, only partial, and I have no idea if it is from today or from months ago.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 08:38 PM

malkin, that's the exact attitude needed for spending any kind of active, fuss-free time on the internet. Skin as tough as a rhino's thumb

Is there an "ignore" option on these forums? I'm not seeing one? That could be beneficial, lol.
Posted By: currawong

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Is there an "ignore" option on these forums? I'm not seeing one? That could be beneficial, lol.
There certainly is! Go to the user list up the top of the page, find the name, press the ignore button. Too easy. I've done it in the past for posters who really annoy me. But it doesn't make the ignoree's post actually disappear. It just goes blank, and the temptation to find out what they said sometimes makes you toggle back and forth between ignore/don't ignore. Or is that just me...

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by currawong
There certainly is! Go to the user list up the top of the page, find the name, press the ignore button. Too easy. I've done it in the past for posters who really annoy me. But it doesn't make the ignoree's post actually disappear. It just goes blank, and the temptation to find out what they said sometimes makes you toggle back and forth between ignore/don't ignore. Or is that just me...

I've never used an ignore button on any forum. I just don't bother with people who make no sense. smile

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 09:23 PM

I've never used an ignore button on any forum. I just don't bother with people who make no sense. smile
Much better idea. smile

I can see how some sort of efficient notification system would really help things along, but I suspect the forum set-up we have wouldn't be able to do that, and that a whole new forum software would be needed. Whether Frank is in any sort of position to be able to do that I have no idea. I have my own little low-tech ways of keeping up with any threads I'm involved in, but for anyone who is involved with other Internet forums it's pretty obvious this one is clunky. (The only other one I follow which is clunkier has just died and gone to Facebook)

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 09:33 PM

But I think, to be honest, that you are also hurt by not being able to track when people have answered you. It's really a huge problem here.

That feature exists, but it doesn't help if you don't like emails since you won't like it. See my response to chasingrainbows above. I suggest you turn it on and try it for a few days though before turning it off again, just to see if it really is a fail for you.

There is also the problem that when we carefully answer another post there is no link or arrow pointing to that post. I see people quote another post, only partial, and I have no idea if it is from today or from months ago.

This too somewhat exists. At the top of every post is a URL link to the particular post for which that user had clicked the "Reply" or "Quote" button underneath. So for example, not to pick on either ebonykawai or Tech-key, but only to use their pair of messages as an example of this, if you look at ebonykawai's message:
[Linked Image]

and you click the link at the top which I circled, you automatically are taken to:
[Linked Image]

Now I said "somewhat" above because this isn't perfect. If a forum member responses to multiple messages in one post as I often do, or if they just type directly into the default "Quick Reply" field that always automatically appears at the end of any page of the thread of messages, then the linkage is lost. But this occurs with other forums to. For example, in Reddit, even though replies to comments are immediately under and indented compared to the message being commented to, people still often will hit reply to one comment and actually be addressing another one, which is often even more confusing when they do that since there is an implied connection by the location and indentation, but the poster had actually meant something else.

Not to pick on venerable member dk who was last seen on PW forum before 9/11, but if you go a forum members profile, you'll see a row of buttons under their profile:
[Linked Image]

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

In the upper right of the webpage, click the dropdown next to your forum handle "chasingrainbows" and select the "* Preferences" option. Go to the last section of the resulting window which looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Check the 'yes' next to the 3rd option which reads "Should anything be added..." and then click on the "Save Changes" button at the bottom.

Thanks, Tyrone! I just did that. However, it looks like I only get notified re: private messages to me, and not of any replies to threads I start. Is that correct?
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 10:37 PM

[Linked Image]

Thanks, Tyrone! I just did that. However, it looks like I only get notified re: private messages to me, and not of any replies to threads I start. Is that correct?

I did this almost 10 months ago and I only receive notifications for private messages-not for replies to threads.
Posted By: cmb13

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 10:45 PM

What a useful thread!

Morodiene, I always appreciate your posts! They are consistently the among most insightful of the entire forum.

Ebony, don't ignore me!!! lol I haven't ignored anyone, although there are some who I just cognitively ignore, but I still sometimes like to read what they've written. Agree w Gary D here.

Tyrone, you sleuth, you saved the day yet again!
Posted By: cmb13

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 10:47 PM

Mixolydian ... hmmmm, is that a kind of mixtape?

Runs away

quickly.

[Linked Image]

No it's a tv station - haven't you heard of Mick at Night? wink

Re: This place is really dead - 03/02/19 10:58 PM

Do the "Follow Lists" provide any notifications that some are wanting?

your user name from the upper right> Preferences > Follow lists

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 12:34 AM

Another forum that I belong to (but haven't haunted in a bit) is the VI-forum, and their software does allow for getting emails when someone replies to your post, or
even if a comment is added to a thread you're following. I do believe it also has a mobile version.

Of course, I understand a change like that is not easily done.

cb13 Thank you! That's really just the nature of forums, sometimes things get lost, or particular tangents take over. But I appreciate the encouraging words. smile

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 01:01 AM

Since I can't edit my typo anymore.. *cmb13 wink

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I did this almost 10 months ago and I only receive notifications for private messages-not for replies to threads.

Correct is checking the 3rd row below and not the 2nd row (2nd row can be checked too, but as chasingrainbows and NobleHouse say, it only applies to private messages):
[Linked Image]

What happens when you check the "Yes" in the 3rd row is that anything added to the items in your "followed lists" (i.e., forums, threads, and users) is emailed to you. What that means differs for each of these three categories, but let me just talk about threads. As you may be aware, when you post a message, at the bottom of the "New Reply" window is a checkbox to the right of "Add this thread to my Followed Threads" which is checked by default. Every time you leave this checkbox checked when you post a message, the thread you post it to is added to your growing list of "followed threads" which is the 2nd tab under the "Followed Lists" option under your forum name in the upper right of the webpage. Then when a post is made to one of the threads in your "followed threads list," that message is sent to your email. You can prune away some of the threads in your followed threads list by going to the "Followed Threads" tab and clicking on the "Edit Followed Threads" link.

Now, if in general, you don't want email notifications about messages posted to threads you might have posted on, but you want to do instead get notifications for messages posted only to a very few choice threads dear to your heart (so a very small set of threads only), you can do it another way. Make sure to check "No" in the 3rd row (see picture above), and instead do this:
  • The thread of special interest will either already be in your "followed threads" list (perhaps because you already posted to that thread in the past) or it won't be. If it isn't already in your "followed threads" list by going into the thread in question by clicking on the thread title, and then in the top left corner of the thread is a pull-down menu entitled "Thread Options." Select the option in the 4-element list named "Follow Thread."
  • Once a thread is on your "followed threads" list, you can now get email notification for it by doing the following. Go to the "Followed Lists" under your forum name in the upper right of the webpage (dropdown triangle to the right of your handle), and go to the "Followed Threads" tab and click on "Edit Followed Threads" in the upper right of the window. Now look for the thread title of interest and to the right, select "Instant" for email notification. Now go to the bottom of that window and click on the "Update Followed Threads" button. Now you will receive an email notification whenever that particular thread receives a message.

An important thing to note when you look at the "Edit Followed Threads" window is that even if you did check the checkbox for the 3rd row, it only applies to new threads you are following. Before checking the checkbox, you could have posted to 1000 different threads already. When you check the checkbox, all of those thousand might receive new posts and you will not be emailed. Only the threads you newly post to (and are therefore newly added to your "Followed Threads" list, or threads which you manually go into "Edit Followed Threads" and mark as "Instant," will generate email messages to you.

Originally Posted by cmb13
Tyrone, you sleuth, you saved the day yet again!

Don't thank me! The knowledge you shared earlier with me about a forum feature got me investigating! You broke the ground! smile It was all icy before that smile
Posted By: RyanThePianist

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 09:43 AM

As a young novice piano teacher like myself, I should post more often to see what you seasoned teachers think. I'm often hesitant of posting too many new topics, actually... but then again, what should I afraid of? Expect a new post soon!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 01:10 PM

OK, I’m back for a live test of post 100. Can I make 101 immediately? <drum roll>

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 01:15 PM

No, still limited! 😡

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 01:37 PM

No, still limited! 😡

Who should be contacted about this, for help?

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 01:39 PM

I was just looking in the Forum Help section and there’s no mention of this at all! I was thinking about posting in New Feature Requests, but that seems pretty dead so I’m unsure if it would be picked up.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 01:47 PM

Well I’ve sent an email and tweaked a couple of settings in my profile (not that I’m expecting that to make a difference!). Will test just now...

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 02:41 PM

When I read this I thought of threads such as this one:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2808064/piano-scale-manuals.html#Post2808064

The asker must be a teacher, since he refers to his pupils. It took ten days for him to get a single response, and that response was not from a fellow teacher/colleague, but from a pianist.

When I see a question, I try to wait 24 hours at least, for teachers to respond. Of course sometimes a non-teacher jumps in early, but often nobody at all responds. There is that side of it.

It's the internet so people are free to say what they want, but taking lessons is a completely different experience than being a teacher.

This is absolutely true. Especially when the issues are teaching issues, or you're exploring how to teach something, that should be teacher to teacher.

We also get teacher-student things, especially students checking up on things because they don't know where to turn. There is no separate forum for that. In that case I do see the following: A teacher will know how he or she teaches, and has a lot of experience with their own students. But the same teacher may not have any experience with students having other poor quality teachers, or some of the issues common to adult students. When the advice is "follow your teacher's instructions and all will be well" this advice will be wrong if the teaching is poor. "Outside" input may be on point.
Posted By: Colin Miles

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by keystring
[quote=pianist_lady]What stops me from commenting here or asking questions more often is that there are so many non-teachers chiming in with opinions that many threads become uninformative.

It's the internet so people are free to say what they want, but taking lessons is a completely different experience than being a teacher.

Yes - it's the internet where anyone is free to give their informed or uninformed opinions and advice. You have to sift through everything and judge whether any of it is correct/useful. Every site on every subject has the same set of problems. Unless you somehow vet people that isn't going to change. Look at the problems that the social media companies are now faced with re, abuse, bullying, etc.
Posted By: Colin Miles

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 03:43 PM

Your acronym would seem to be something of a misnomer!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 03:52 PM

When it comes to playing I hate playing for anyone at all, and certainly wouldn’t play in public, after a childhood full of forced performances and competitions. That is what the name refers to, not that I should have to explain myself to you or anyone. Sorry if I say too much. 🙄

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Colin Miles
[quote=keystring]...

Somehow you managed to quote the part that I quoted, without ever responding to the things I wrote, which you also didn't quote. (?)

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 06:24 PM

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2808064/piano-scale-manuals.html#Post2808064

The asker must be a teacher, since he refers to his pupils. It took ten days for him to get a single response, and that response was not from a fellow teacher/colleague, but from a pianist.

My view: one post. When people only post one time, most of the time they just want something and will contribute zero. When you read that such people are teachers, you just scratch your head.

That's why I no longer answer.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 06:27 PM

When it comes to playing I hate playing for anyone at all, and certainly wouldn’t play in public, after a childhood full of forced performances and competitions. That is what the name refers to, not that I should have to explain myself to you or anyone. Sorry if I say too much. 🙄

In a nutshell you just illustrated everything that is wrong here. Somehow my name is linked at the top of your post, but there is no text, no quote.

[Re: Gary D.]

You seem to be irritated, but I have no idea about what.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 06:31 PM

In a nutshell you just illustrated everything that is wrong here. Somehow my name is linked at the top of your post, but there is no text, no quote. You seem to be irritated at me, but I have no idea about what. Did I say anything to you to insult you?

I think that confusion happens because there is no differentiation between "Reply to Thread" and "Reply to Post" so the only way to respond to a post is to quote, and quotes take a lot of space and get screwed up all the time anyway.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 06:45 PM

I also went to that post after reading about Mixolydian. My teacher has a masters in music is a jazz pianist and drummer, so I have been learning about Mixolydian and Dorian, the most common ones that are used. If there was a a category of music theory I probably would have found that post, because that is an interest of mine. I had taken theory for two and a half years, then I felt I knew enough as this is a hobby. However, I am always interested in learning. Like you I do not respond to every post, it would be nice if there was a thumbs up button.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 06:58 PM

Mordiene, since I work for the government, I coordinate facility academic programs. I am on national calls and freely share my work and program information I never thought about the competitiveness of private music schools. I asked the director of music school why she took down faculty information. I was surprised she said other schools try to take my staff. She also no longer posts pricing, to keep her information private. I can see where this forum may be beneficial for music teachers.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 07:22 PM

In a nutshell you just illustrated everything that is wrong here. Somehow my name is linked at the top of your post, but there is no text, no quote.

Yes, sorry Gary, it wasn’t aimed at you at all but at Colin who made what I guess he thought was an amusingly ironic observation about my user name. It’s a hard forum to use on a phone!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 07:26 PM

Many thanks!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 07:35 PM

Ebony, don't ignore me!!! lol I haven't ignored anyone, although there are some who I just cognitively ignore, but I still sometimes like to read what they've written.

No worries, it's an interesting feature but I doubt I'll use it, I'm too tech lazy, lol. 😉

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 07:52 PM

Ebony, don't ignore me!!! lol I haven't ignored anyone, although there are some who I just cognitively ignore, but I still sometimes like to read what they've written.
No worries, it's an interesting feature but I doubt I'll use it, I'm too tech lazy, lol. 😉
Ah, the quote function! I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. But I *could* easily have said it, so no big deal. smile
Posted By: pianist_lady

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 09:05 PM

My view: one post. When people only post one time, most of the time they just want something and will contribute zero. When you read that such people are teachers, you just scratch your head.

That's why I no longer answer.

Agree. It's not encouraging when the OP doesn't even reply to say thanks for the info.

Something that others have touched on here is that it's difficult for independent teachers to find a community where ideas are exchanged and feedback is honest. I think this is an important issue. It is difficult to find professional development that is not focussed on selling a particular method or exam system. An online forum should be a good thing.

I also didn't mean to insult anyone when I posted about finding the replies of non-teachers being less informative. It's just a statement; I would be the first to admit that many of the views I held before I started teaching seriously were uninformed or even wrong, despite many years of piano study. It's difficult to think outside of your own experience as a students, even for the most reflective among us. When you teach 25-30 unique learners week after week, you pick up on certain things.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/03/19 10:46 PM

Ah, the quote function! I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. But I *could* easily have said it, so no big deal. smile

It's an imperfect world, lol.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 01:07 AM

Yes I understand where you’re coming from pianist_lady.

Incidentally the bug which was causing newer members to be put in a “one post per 5 minutes” holding cell has now been fixed, so perhaps that will help with the one post wonder scenario.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 01:09 AM

In a nutshell you just illustrated everything that is wrong here. Somehow my name is linked at the top of your post, but there is no text, no quote. You seem to be irritated at me, but I have no idea about what. Did I say anything to you to insult you?

I think that confusion happens because there is no differentiation between "Reply to Thread" and "Reply to Post" so the only way to respond to a post is to quote, and quotes take a lot of space and get screwed up all the time anyway.

Yes BUT:

I'm answering you. Potentially quotes get within quotes, but that is yet another system problem. Normally only the latest quote remains, but with an arrow to what is being quoted, with an arrow going up again. There is a chain, so you can see who is replying to what.

Not possible here... frown

But I can still live with most of the problems. The thing I can't accept, and which infuriates me, is the inability to edit something I've written when I see a mistake a few minutes later. That was a totally stupid and unnecessary change that has nothing to do with the system. It was added in the last year, and it is awful.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 01:19 AM

I also didn't mean to insult anyone when I posted about finding the replies of non-teachers being less informative. It's just a statement; I would be the first to admit that many of the views I held before I started teaching seriously were uninformed or even wrong, despite many years of piano study.

Yes, views of students about how to teach are going to be less informative, and in many cases absolutely wrong. So if any student attempts to tell me how to teach, or what to change about teaching, I'm going to ignore it, BUT:

The flip side is that students know what more about BEING students than teachers do, so there input about what goes wrong in lessons is invaluable.

Remember also that some people who are teaching 25-30 students a week are not listening to their students, who are often shy or intimidated by the teachers knowledge.

For me it was a game changer when I went back to school, at age 40, to polish up what I was doing with a second language. It altered everything for me in my own teaching. I saw problems I had not thought of from the angle of a student. I saw a whole class of mostly lost people, I saw the teacher not seeing the problems. I saw a college text, that was supposedly more advanced for "older, more sophisticated students", absolutely failing because it went too fast, covering way too many concepts far too quickly.

The real eye-opener: I was 40 with almost two decades of teaching experience. And I was the only person in the class who was not partially lost, understanding everything, on top of every lesson. But the teacher was totally uninterested in my insights even though I was fully fluent in a class where everyone else was stumbling to say and read a few things.

That arrogance is typical of what I often see here from teachers who are sure everything they do is perfect and that anyone questioning them about what they do is just student arrogance, or ignorance, or rank stupidity.

As a teacher I'm always open to feedback about what is working or not working, and as a results I make sweeping changes in what I teach every year. I just don't see that flexibility here, on the whole.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 01:20 AM

Once again, apologies GaryD for the confusion. When you use Quick Editor, which I tend to do, you can’t see who your reply will be directed at. Of course, if you use the Full Editor you can see the post you’re replying to at the bottom if you scroll down.

As a newbie I also hadn’t figured out until recently that the person you actually replied to displays in the header of your reply and I didn’t realise people then used this to conclude people were talking directly to them. I’ve never been one for quoting people’s posts back at them in web forums, but I can see why that might be necessary here.

All very reminiscent of Twitter etiquette with the order of mentions etc. Apologies once again!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 01:39 AM

Once again, apologies GaryD for the confusion. When you use Quick Editor, which I tend to do, you can’t see who your reply will be directed at. Of course, if you use the Full Editor you can see the post you’re replying to at the bottom if you scroll down.

As a newbie I also hadn’t figured out until recently that the person you actually replied to displays in the header of your reply and I didn’t realise people then used this to conclude people were talking directly to them. I’ve never been one for quoting people’s posts back at them in web forums, but I can see why that might be necessary here.

All very reminiscent of Twitter etiquette with the order of mentions etc. Apologies once again!

Hit quote, then type below. Everything will automatically be fine. wink

Once again, these are system problems. For just this reason you will see people responding to thing written last week or last year, or way back to something very early in a long thread. There is so much miscommunication because we often don't know where things are coming from!

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 03:49 AM

For me it was a game changer when I went back to school, at age 40, to polish up what I was doing with a second language. It altered everything for me in my own teaching. I saw problems I had not thought of from the angle of a student. I saw a whole class of mostly lost people, I saw the teacher not seeing the problems. I saw a college text, that was supposedly more advanced for "older, more sophisticated students", absolutely failing because it went too fast, covering way too many concepts far too quickly.

The real eye-opener: I was 40 with almost two decades of teaching experience. And I was the only person in the class who was not partially lost, understanding everything, on top of every lesson. But the teacher was totally uninterested in my insights even though I was fully fluent in a class where everyone else was stumbling to say and read a few things.

The part I highlighted caught my attention and I want to comment here. This happens with adult students starting a new instrument for the first time, and especially if that student plays another instrument or comes in self-taught, apparently somewhat fluid at some level. I have been hammering the idea of foundations for years, and fought the idea of the "adult books" if and when these books want to help students "go fast", play music that is familiar and beloved, and dovetail in the adult facility of abstract thinking. An abstract mind does not help tune the eyes, the hands, coordination, or the senses. In fact, it can get in the way. It did in my first experience.

As a teacher I'm always open to feedback about what is working or not working, and as a results I make sweeping changes in what I teach every year. I just don't see that flexibility here, on the whole.

Welcome words. smile
Posted By: fofig

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Morodiene
Personally, I appreciate hearing from non-teachers on these subjects, as long as they are clear they are non-teachers (those of you who do post regularly will often mention this for the benefit of newbies who don't know this already), and also that teachers don't get attacked for using this as not only a place to arrive at solutions, but also to vent a little steam.

Private music teaching is a very lonely sort of business where collaboration between colleagues is often hampered by having to remain competitive. So having a forum like this has been very valuable to me, although in the past couple of years we've lost some contributors and frankly, I'm not sure there are many people going into the field these days. Or if they are, they're not into an archaic form like a forum and will use Youtube, or social media instead.

Personally, I have been posting here every now and then, clarifying my non-teacher status. I have just asked few things about the piano education for my daughter (7y) and for me (adult) and once I got even blasted by AZN, so I think this qualifies me as honorary member of the club wink

I do not contribute regularly, as I am not a piano teacher, but as a teacher in other domain, this remains one of my favourite subject and I love to read about the discussion on the way to teach piano.

This place is not dead to me, it is just that I do not have much to say, but I learned a lot by the regular post of the teacher here...

I guess this is to thank you all !

Posted By: mostlystrings

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 05:32 PM

I forgot where it was that someone mentioned competition between private music teachers and am not going to look back and quote it...

Anyway, when I saw that, I thought, it doesn't have to be that way! Why can we not work together to build a music community, to get students and families interested in music, so that more will take lessons, and there will be plenty of students for plenty of teachers? I would love to collaborate with local teachers, exchange ideas, gain insight in different ways to solve a problem, do joint ensemble classes and performances - idealist, I know. But I personally don't find it necessary to "compete" with another teacher; I don't actually want your students anyway (transfers), and if my student needs a different approach, I don't have a problem with them finding a better fit with your style.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/04/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by fofig
I have just asked few things about the piano education for my daughter (7y) and for me (adult) and once I got even blasted by AZN, so I think this qualifies me as honorary member of the club wink

Not really a distinction - we've ALL been there!

Should I add a smiley? Nah, it's understood. Oh wait....................

Re: This place is really dead - 03/05/19 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by mostlystrings
I forgot where it was that someone mentioned competition between private music teachers and am not going to look back and quote it...

Anyway, when I saw that, I thought, it doesn't have to be that way! Why can we not work together to build a music community, to get students and families interested in music, so that more will take lessons, and there will be plenty of students for plenty of teachers? I would love to collaborate with local teachers, exchange ideas, gain insight in different ways to solve a problem, do joint ensemble classes and performances - idealist, I know. But I personally don't find it necessary to "compete" with another teacher; I don't actually want your students anyway (transfers), and if my student needs a different approach, I don't have a problem with them finding a better fit with your style.

I was the one who talked about that being a problem. Personally, I share whatever I know if it helps (and even if it does't wink ), but in general, such pettiness does come up. I don't teach for the money - if I wanted money I'd go into something non-arts-related. But it's amazing how protective some teachers are of their "secrets". That's fine, it's there prerogative, but it does make forums not work so well.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/05/19 07:40 AM

I have just asked few things about the piano education for my daughter (7y) and for me (adult) and once I got even blasted by AZN, so I think this qualifies me as honorary member of the club wink

I enjoy blasting people whey they are clearly wrong.

NOT winking

Re: This place is really dead - 03/05/19 08:01 AM

I enjoy blasting people whey they are clearly wrong.

NOT winking

Please keep doing it, personally I do not get hurt: I am a total newbie
Besides You are great fun! I am entering the thread also for your blast, but I must confess, I generally I found the other contributors more informative and instructive.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/05/19 09:03 AM

Please keep doing it, personally I do not get hurt: I am a total newbie
Besides You are great fun! I am entering the thread also for your blast, but I must confess, I generally I found the other contributors more informative and instructive.

I could be more informative;however, there are trade secrets. Whenever I write something helpful, I don't go all out.

What you read from me here, in this forum, is merely the tip of the iceberg. Most people have no idea what I'm capable of.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/05/19 09:32 AM

I actually traced the thread you're talking about earlier today. Some people were more wordy, but I found AZNpiano's advice quite good and spot on. No precise advice can be given anyway since the new place, new teacher, are all unknown. That bit of general middle-of-the-road advice I think was an excellent guidepost. Just my opinion. smile
Posted By: Opus_Maximus

Re: This place is really dead - 03/06/19 07:40 AM

There's an easy explanation for this, I think. The last two years have seen the rise of MASSIVE Facebook groups devoted to piano teaching. The most popular of which is "The Art of Piano Pedagogy" -- currently at 20,000 members and growing every day. Post a topic and it will get 10 comments (or reacation), within a minute. It's so huge that if you join, you can almost be sure to find a good percentage of your piano teacher friends and colleagues in real life are already on it. The platform makes it easier to post images and videos as well. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edit; Re-reading your post I see you mean just very recently. But I do remember how active this forum was in the early 2000's when I joined compared to now.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/06/19 10:12 AM

I actually traced the thread you're talking about earlier today. Some people were more wordy, but I found AZNpiano's advice quite good and spot on. No precise advice can be given anyway since the new place, new teacher, are all unknown. That bit of general middle-of-the-road advice I think was an excellent guidepost. Just my opinion. smile

Actually, yes! this specific post was very helpful in that transition period.
Posted By: Whizbang

Re: This place is really dead - 03/07/19 03:16 AM

Most people have no idea what I'm capable of.

My imagination is running wild.
Posted By: SchroedersCat

Re: This place is really dead - 03/08/19 01:57 AM

I tend to lurk and avoid posting, it seems to cause more aggravation than provide actual help. But thank, Opus, I just joined that Facebook group and will be spending my online time there, where people can't hide behind avatars and have to hold themselves accountable for what they type. This site is clunky, nigh impossible to use on mobile, and threads turn into nightmarish proportions in no time.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/08/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by SchroedersCat
I tend to lurk and avoid posting, it seems to cause more aggravation than provide actual help. But thank, Opus, I just joined that Facebook group and will be spending my online time there, where people can't hide behind avatars and have to hold themselves accountable for what they type. This site is clunky, nigh impossible to use on mobile, and threads turn into nightmarish proportions in no time.

Please feel free to post on my thread asking for guidance in narrowing down materials to start teaching my son! I have ideas of my own but I’m very interested in thoughts from experienced teachers.
Posted By: pianoMom2006

Re: This place is really dead - 03/09/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SchroedersCat

I often think very hard before posting here and self censor a lot to avoid grief and I’m still not always successful. For this reason I generally finding reading more interesting than posting. Unfortunately, I can’t join the FB group. Wish there was a good one that linked teachers and parents.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/12/19 12:57 AM

Good grief. Looking at the posts from the last couple days, the saying "better off dead" comes to mind.
Posted By: meaculpa

Re: This place is really dead - 03/18/19 05:51 AM

I posted on a couple of threads , but don't know if there is a reply as there is no alert system.

Re: This place is really dead - 03/18/19 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by meaculpa
I posted on a couple of threads , but don't know if there is a reply as there is no alert system.

If you are desiring replies on threads you posted to automatically to be sent to you in email, there is a mechanism for that. See this post above for how to do it with some pictures.

Re: This place is really dead - 04/15/19 03:06 PM

Gary D. Do you know of any other music forum that might generate discussion with faster replies? I am dying to know.

Re: This place is really dead - 04/15/19 04:38 PM

Gary D. Do you know of any other music forum that might generate discussion with faster replies? I am dying to know.

Well, you asked a question in the teacher forum yesterday, adding to a thread on an entirely different subject, and not actually a thing that needs be answered in the teacher forum, which is generally about teaching itself. You asked the same question in the ABF yesterday and I saw answers to it last night.

Re: This place is really dead - 04/15/19 04:38 PM

It'll be hit or miss, since depending on the question and if you post a cat pic or not, you'll either get no replies or a hundred, but you can try posting to Reddit's r/piano subreddit.

Re: This place is really dead - 04/15/19 04:47 PM

Well, you asked a question in the teacher forum yesterday, adding to a thread on an entirely different subject, and not actually a thing that needs be answered in the teacher forum, which is generally about teaching itself. You asked the same question in the ABF yesterday and I saw answers to it last night.

Sorry, I was forgetting this was the Piano Teachers forum. I will check the ABF, I am still not too familiar with navigating this forum.
Thanks.

Re: This place is really dead - 04/15/19 05:02 PM

Sorry, I was forgetting this was the Piano Teachers forum. I will check the ABF, I am still not too familiar with navigating this forum.
Thanks.

Sometimes the teachers do answer such questions, but it is more hit and miss. I just added my answer to the answers to your question in the ABF. smile

Re: This place is really dead - 07/03/19 02:44 PM

The future of PW.

Re: This place is really dead - 07/03/19 03:02 PM

If you thought this place was dead in the spring, just wait.

Re: This place is really dead - 07/03/19 03:18 PM

If you thought this place was dead in the spring, just wait.

But just think, there will be a wonderful archive of old posts to pore though as we await new contributions!
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums