Piano World Home Page
I've posted this in pianist's corner, but I think it actually is more fit here.

There is some really good stuff in this quite lengthly video by famed pianist/professor Sarah Davis Buechner (formerly David Buechner). She talks about what is lacking in today's training, and goes on to give a historical perspective of piano pedagogy. I have not watched all of it yet myself, but the first 10/20 minutes are an absolute treasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InY2RoiGHQg
Thanks. Although this has been posted before, it's always a good reminder, especially the opening on fundamental technique.
I'd watched a little bit last year, but just watched the full thing now having completely forgotten about it since. It's a really interesting survey of piano technique, or, more specifically, teaching it and how that has changed in recent centuries.

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Opus Maximus! This is invaluable. I feel even more convinced that my students should learn scales, rather than depending on learning them through repertoire. She covers a lot of issues teachers encounter.
Thanks for this link. I had heard of Sara but never heard her speak or play. Her speech was a bit rambling but still pretty interesting and wow can she play.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums