Piano World Home Page
I have interviews for both coming up and I have no idea which to choose from. Unfortunately I think I am leaning towards sales at Tom Lee since it's more reputable and I already teach piano independently, but.. it is a "sales" position, which is not exactly what I'm aiming for towards the future -- although it would be a dream to work in a musical environment. The music studio was rated "Best Music Studio" in 2010 in the local newspaper. What would you guys do?

The music studio is " Prelude Piano Studio "
Neither. I would start my own studio. Hey, wait, that's exactly what I did.
But I already do that :P although I'm a student and only teach 10 right now, and plus I live in an apartment so I can't really go all-out and run a full-blown studio on my own. I guess I'm looking to expand my experiences.
Well, get some income and then buy a small house on a main traffic route. Interest rates are at an all time low. Don't know what they are in Canada, but suspect they aren't too high. Otherwise, move a bit south, perhaps to Bellingham. As far as I'm concerned, Washington, Oregon and Idaho ought to join with BC and form it's own country. After all, we have more in common with each other than either of us do with the rest of our respective nations. Oops, I'm preaching insurrection here. Never mind.
I would do both. Hey, that's what I do! I work full time and teach full time.
I think you should take the sales job. You will meet many prospective students, and you can always teach them at another location until you can afford to leave the apartment. Perhaps Tom Lee has studios you can rent as well.

You will also learn how to convince people of things, especially things they didn't think they needed. This will help greatly when speaking to students and their parents. It will make you a rounder person and teach you the importance of good phone skills, good manners, and a good appearance.

Plus you will make a lot of money if you can sell.
My father said never put all your eggs on one basket, but having said, the question is which environment do you enjoy the most, teaching or sales? And where is the money and how much do you need to be happy - will you find it teaching or selling?

All these replies are great.

John:
Haha property in Vancouver is atrociously expensive.. so moving out won't happen anytime soon, but thanks for the input!

Stanny:
I am considering doing both if I can smile life of a musician eh?.. working full-time while running a studio. How do you like it? Do you find it is too draining?

Candywoman: I am actually leaning towards the sales job as the priority, since Tom Lee is reputable and I will be able to make connections there. Plus the fixed hours will come in handy since I'm a student and I will be able to teach regardless on my own, just not part of a professional studio as much (may look into that more seriously in the future).

Michael99: Definitely love the thought of being surrounded by instruments, but I love the task of teaching the piano much more. I guess I have to try them both out to truly see what fits my needs.

When buying my son an accessory for his band instrument, the sales guy demonstrated for us and then began to tell us his college and adult life resume. It was all very impressive, but he said that the music store brought him stories, and with set hours, he could play in a local band nights and weekends.
He did not teach, and had a long commute, but had a great smile doing want he enjoyed.
Do what makes you smile.
smile
(And, well, pays the bills. There is a saying something along the lines of, "If you love what you do, you never have to work.")
I say take the job and continue to teach on the side. As you gain more students you can cut back or quit the sales job.
Originally Posted by bittersweetmusique
All these replies are great.

John:
Haha property in Vancouver is atrociously expensive.. so moving out won't happen anytime soon, but thanks for the input!

Tell me about it! Vancouver has some of the highest housing prices in the world... Although I hear it's flattening out these days.

Why don't you apply as a teacher? The Tom Lee downtown (in Vancouver) is hiring teachers, I heard. I don't hear a lot about Long and McQuade here, but you could try that too.

You can also try becoming a travelling teacher... Lots of teachers in Vancouver travel to their students' houses because of the cost of studio spaces.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums