Piano World Home Page
<font size="+2" color="red">Sign Up for the 2008 Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour Now!</font>

This was our 5th annual tour!

<font size="+2">Pictures and Comments of the 2008 Tour Begin on Page 3</font>

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

<font size="+1">
The official 2008 Tour Date is Monday, May 12 (starting at 9:00 a.m.)
</font>

If you are interested, sign up now!
We are limited to 40 participants for the tour, and we fill up fast.

I will list attendees in this thread, if you wanted to join us, make sure you're in the list

Here's a group shot from the 2007 tour...
[Linked Image]

As anyone who has been with our forums for a while knows, they can fill up pretty quickly.

To get on the list, send me an email with the following information... (you should also reply to this thread)

Your forums name
Your forums member #
Your real name
Your Location (City/Town, State)

If you plan to bring a guest, I will
need their information as well.

webmaster@pianoworld.com

Put: Mason & Hamlin 2008 Factory Tour
in the subject line.

When you sign in at the Mason & Hamlin factory (everyone has to sign in), please include your forums name and forums member number.

Please NOTE: We try to fill up the tour with people who have not attended previously first. If you've already taken the tour with us before, please still apply, but understand we will give first choice to new participants, then fill in (in order received) with repeaters.

We are limited to 40 people total, so get your name(s) listed NOW! After we reach 40 listed, we will begin taking alternates (there are always last minute cancellations).

<font size="+2">2008 Tour Attendees</font>
<font size="+1">If your name isn't on this list, you aren't registered yet!</font>

~ JeffBC (#25881) + 1 *
~ frank75 (# 27466) *
~ piqué (#138)*
~ KEL (#27470) + 1 *
~ Stevem (#27684) + 1 *
~ Ladyford (#30472) *
~ EddieAte (#23036)*
~ Chardonnay (#25384) +1 *
~ LovettPianoWorks (#28023) + 1 *
~ Aaron J (#28000) *
~ guntherp (#27941) *
~ pmhowell (#28328) +1 *
~ piquagirl (#27914) *
~ Novelinda & A441 *
~ NE_Geek_Girl (#28756) +1 *
~ jwgish (#29312 ) *
~ Island Pianist (#8474) (+1) *
~ White and Black (#37717) *
~ Doogs (#28498) *
~ upscalepianolessons (#31302) *
~ BPEDRANT (#20236) + 1 *
~ JazzManToo (#5976) *
~ pcambrio (#31470) *
~ CPTPianotech (#14957) *
~ Ed B (#6280) *
~ Herb Lindahl *

Total Signed up to date: 36 (out of 40 slots)
<font color="red" size="+1">
There are currently openings for 4 people!
</font>

Alternates:

FYI, the factory is in Haverhill, MA (pronounced Heyvrill). About 45 minutes north of Boston.

If you're not from Boston, this should help...
Understanding Bostonians

Official PWPF Name Tags available.

If any PianoWorld members would like to stay in Haverhill overnight, there is a Best Western Merrimack Valley Lodge nearby. www.bwmerrimackvalley.com

The hotel is about a 10 minute drive from the factory.

Mason & Hamlin Piano Company
35 Duncan St. Haverhill, MA 01830
www.masonhamlin.com
(978) 374-8888

Parking
[Linked Image]

Another View (red balloon is factory, white arrow is parking).
[Linked Image]

If you'd like to see what the tours are all about, see these threads...

The 2007 Tour

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/99.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/71.html
Hi Frank,

I'd love to bring my family of four (me, wife, plus 2 boys) to this. Will email you the info. Thanks very much!!
Email sent!
Hi Frank,

Please sign up me and my husband. Email follows.

Thanks.
Sent you an email Frank. :-)
Email sent.
4 spots for me, Pl3ase... email coming...
Email sent
Email sent.
Originally posted by KEL:
Email sent.
Kel,

No email received.

Please be sure it was sent to:
webmaster@pianoworld.com
and that the subject line reads:
Mason & Hamlin 2008 Factory Tour
Sorry, it was sitting in the out box. It really is sent now.
Email sent. Thanks.
Hello, I've sent an email to the webmaster, and here is my corresponding post to sign up myself and my brother for the tour!

I actually met a few forum members this past summer at the Chopin Etudes recital in Ashburnham, and they kindly invited me to stop lurking and join the forum. Well it's taken a bit of time but I finally registered so that I could join this tour. I expect it's going to be a great time!

My brother Chris and I are both "Adult Returners", who took lessons as kids and then mostly ignored it. We're in our thirties and have been rather obsessed with the piano for 9 or 10 months now. We are borrowing/caretaking an old Marshall & Wendell baby grand piano with brutally heavy action and a gorgeous (and loud) tone. The piano might be taken from us soon, and so we have an ongoing discussion about piano options for the future. So thanks for organizing this tour Piano World!

Steve
Originally posted by SteveM:
Hello, I've sent an email to the webmaster, and here is my corresponding post to sign up myself and my brother for the tour!

I actually met a few forum members this past summer at the Chopin Etudes recital in Ashburnham, and they kindly invited me to stop lurking and join the forum. Well it's taken a bit of time but I finally registered so that I could join this tour. I expect it's going to be a great time!

My brother Chris and I are both "Adult Returners", who took lessons as kids and then mostly ignored it. We're in our thirties and have been rather obsessed with the piano for 9 or 10 months now. We are borrowing/caretaking an old Marshall & Wendell baby grand piano with brutally heavy action and a gorgeous (and loud) tone. The piano might be taken from us soon, and so we have an ongoing discussion about piano options for the future. So thanks for organizing this tour Piano World!

Steve
Welcome Steve,

Glad you finally decided to join the forums.
See you at the M&H tour in the spring.

Best,

Frank B.
I actually met a few forum members this past summer at the Chopin Etudes recital in Ashburnham, and they kindly invited me to stop lurking and join the forum.

Steve, good to see you and your brother have decided to join our online piano community since it is apparent you are both pianoholics!! laugh It was great meeting you both at the Frederick's concert. John Citron was the other forum member in attendance.

I know you'll enjoy the very informative tour at M&H. We are fortunate to have such an event so close to home along with the Frederick's concerts and study center tours and our piano gatherings at Larry Buck's shop in Lowell. I'm hoping we can combine all for a spectacular spring gathering event! wink
Well, since I just bought a new Mason Hamlin BB I guess I should go see where it was made!

I guess I should probably change my user name...
Yes you should BB/C7 and your profile too...

I've been the last 2 years...it's WORTH THE TRIP

btw...how ya feelin??
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
Yes you should BB/C7 and your profile too...

I've been the last 2 years...it's WORTH THE TRIP

btw...how ya feelin??
I'll probably change the profile & login once the piano is delivered and I've got a gazillion photos to share laugh

Feeling much better, thanks. Though I spent a good deal of time in heck, the recovery has actually gone a lot better than I thought it would. Thanks again for asking.
Obviously cameras are allowed... video cameras too? I'd like to shoot some HD video and we can put it on YouTube...
Email Sent, wheeeeeee. I Can't wait!
<font size="+1">The Official 2008 Mason & Hamlin Factory Tour Date Is...
Monday, May 12 (starting at 9:00 a.m.)
</font>

See the start of this thread for information about joining us for this great tour (our 5th year in a row).
Email sent. Just kidding, Frank...

We are looking forward to seeing all of you who will be coming to this year's Mason & Hamlin factory tour. Although the tour is about a week later than it has been in previous years, we hope that the new date will give more of you a chance to visit us in Haverhill.

Terrytunes wrote to me last month about the 2008 tour and I know that she is working with the Fredericks and Larry Buck to put together some fun piano events for you to enjoy and be a part of before and after the factory tour. It should be a great time for everyone who loves the piano.

Don't forget to practice for the after-tour recital, where you share your piano talents with the PianoWorld family. Bring your own music, play from memory or play by ear. You bring your fingers, we'll supply the Mason & Hamlin pianos.

Cecil
Sorry Frank and Cecil, but I won't be coming this year. Bummer! frown

I'll be traveling to Oklahoma and the rest of the Great Plains on a different kind of vacation from May 8th to May 19th. Pictures and videos will be available. smile

Why couldn't the tour have been scheduled from between May 5th - May 7th? I have that week off too and wasn't planning on going anywhere then!

John
Frank,
I just sent an email with my information, thanks! Hope it's not too late. I'd really like to see this place!
Hello Frank. This is my first post (to any forum). I've sent an email with my info. I'm looking forward to seeing the M&H factory. I have a 1924 M&H model A.
HI. My name is Andrea and I would love to attend the M&H factory tour. I have sent an e-mail to the webmaster. Please let me know if there is anything else I should do/know about signing up for the tour! Thanks!
Hi there,

I'm a new member and I just sent an email to register for the tour - hope there's still space.
Email sent. Leaving my wife on Mother's Day to fly to BeanTown. Hmm. Maybe not. She's just started lessons, so bringing her along...
Hi Frank...I just sent you an e-mail with my info. Hopefully, I got in on time...Thanks, Pat
Frank, I've sent you an email to confirm for two people with all the needed information.
Originally posted by JeffBC:
Obviously cameras are allowed... video cameras too? I'd like to shoot some HD video and we can put it on YouTube...
Hi JeffBC,

You are welcome to shoot video while the group is on the 6th floor before the tour, during lunch, and of course, for the after-tour recital. We ask that the PianoWorld folks please stow their video cameras while on the manufacturing floors, for the safety of the group.

'Looking forward to seeing you in Haverhill.

Cecil
Will do Cecil, thanks.
I would love to see the factory. I hope there is still room. I have sent a seperate email with the requested info.

My wife would like to come too. Do guest get to join in the tour?
Although I have been enjoying this forum for months, I have only recently joined. In fact, this is my first post - ever! I'm sure to join in forum discussions as I am looking for a grand piano for myself and my daughters. I would like to sign up for the Mason & Hamlin tour and have already sent an email with the essential information. I look forward to meeting you all!
It's a wonderful tour. You will all have a great time.

Will miss seeing you Cecil (make sure he plays!) and MH friends.

Maybe I can stop by for lunch or the playground?

Roberta, LL
Please see these additional piano events planned around the time of the M&H tour.

Even if you can't make the tour, you should try to join us for some/all of these piano events...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/150.html
Hi Terry, thanks for the warm response! I kinda fell off the face of the forums again after posting my initial message. I notice that you are not listed in the main thread as attending the tour, is that an oversight?

Regarding the tour, and specifically the playing that I expect will happen after, are there any rules or conventions we should be aware of? Like, what happens if somebody has their one best piece that they are really excited to play and somebody else gets up and plays it first because they didn't realize the other person was planning to play it? Will the other person be out of luck or can they play it again anyway? Or what if somebody only knows part of a piece and likes to play just the first page but can't do the rest? Will they be pelted with rotten fruit if they get up there and play half a sonata or the EZ Edition of Rach 3? (Actually, that might be pretty cool to hear.)

Ok, I'm obviously joking around, because I know everyone will be perfectly pleasant and there are all levels of playing among PW members, and more music is always better. But are there any rules like "NO STAIRWAY" for the piano equivalent of Stairway to Heaven? (Wayne's World reference there) And what would that be anyway? I might guess Heart and Soul, but at least Stairway was a great song inherently, even if overplayed.
Hi Terry, thanks for the warm response! I kinda fell off the face of the forums again after posting my initial message. I notice that you are not listed in the main thread as attending the tour, is that an oversight?

Regarding the tour, and specifically the playing that I expect will happen after, are there any rules or conventions we should be aware of? Like, what happens if somebody has their one best piece that they are really excited to play and somebody else gets up and plays it first because they didn't realize the other person was planning to play it? Will the other person be out of luck or can they play it again anyway? Or what if somebody only knows part of a piece and likes to play just the first page but can't do the rest? Will they be pelted with rotten fruit if they get up there and play half a sonata or the EZ Edition of Rach 3? (Actually, that might be pretty cool to hear.)

Ok, I'm obviously joking around, because I know everyone will be perfectly pleasant and there are all levels of playing among PW members, and more music is always better. But are there any rules like "NO STAIRWAY" for the piano equivalent of Stairway to Heaven? (Wayne's World reference there) And what would that be anyway? I might guess Heart and Soul, but at least Stairway was a great song inherently, even if overplayed.
As a former music store owner, I can tell you that fur elise is the piano equivalent to Stairway to Heaven:-)

That said, I still like both pieces.

There are no rules about what you play, we are always happy to have anyone/everyone play whatever they are comfortable with, even if it's the same piece the person before them played.

The idea is to relax and enjoy the company of people who all share a passion for the piano, and the joy of playing a room full of freshly minted high-end pianos.

If you've never taken a tour of this type before, you will find you have a new found respect and admiration for the work and craftsmenship that goes into making a fine piano.
SteveM...I can atest to the fact that they WON'T pelt you with rotten fruit if you play wrong notes...as I did... the PW members have always been very gracious and there is always a wide display of talent...
The tour is a must see, the M&H Family are the BEST HOSTS. They are the best!!!
I notice that you are not listed in the main thread as attending the tour, is that an oversight?

No, not an oversight. I attended the first 2 tours; 2004 & 2005. Each year the tour becomes more popular and it's necessary to let others come onboard as much as I would like to be there every year.

Last year Larry Buck hosted a gathering at his piano shop in Lowell after the tour. I found a new challenge for myself in assisting with the food setup for the after tour gathering! We had a great time meeting and enjoying the tour group and another chance to play more pianos was provided in the performance room at Larry's shop. Here is a link to last years pics: Larry Buck\'s Piano Shop Lowell - May 2007

I hope you and your brother will plan to join both events on Monday. Prepare yourselves though, as these gatherings can become so addictive! wink

Don't forget to read May Grand Events Surrounding the M&H Tour .

I'm hoping the advance notice will assist with those who have busy schedules and allow them enough opportunity to prepare for all the events that are scheduled.
put me on the list as an alternate, please. I joined the forum too late to get in this year, but I sure would love to come next year.
Would love to get to this tour. Looks likes it's over-subscribed, but just in case there's an additional one or a vacancy:

Myrna Rybczyk
myrnmusic@comcast.net
Milis, MA
Since the tour is oversubscribed I thought I should make a "go/no go" decision as early as possible and it looks like it's "no go". I've had a number of things come up that will make it impossible for me to attend the tour. I'm really disappointed as I was looking forward both to the tour and the events surrounding it. I hope that someone on the wait list enjoys it by proxy.
Greg.... frown I was truly looking forward to meeting you!

Alerting those on stand-by and allowing them the chance to organize their plans is quite commendable on your part.

Hopefully you will be able to consider the '09 tour! It will be here before we know it!! wink
Hi - my husband and I are definitely in. (I sent a message saying maybe, and now I can't send another until there is a reply to the first one - so I just wanted to confirm ASAP.)
We are looking forward to it greatly! How long is the tour?
Originally posted by NE_Geek_Girl:
Hi - my husband and I are definitely in. (I sent a message saying maybe, and now I can't send another until there is a reply to the first one - so I just wanted to confirm ASAP.)
We are looking forward to it greatly! How long is the tour?
Welcome to the tour.
It starts at 9:00 a.m., best to get there at least 15 minutes early.

When you go in the front entrance someone will be in the office area. You will sign in, and be brought to the 6th floor where we all gather first.

Tour takes most of the day, we break for lunch (M&H kindly feeds us too).

Usually ends about 3:30 - 4:00, which is when we have the opportunity to play the wonderful freshly minted pianos in the display area of the 6th floor.

Make sure you bring/wear comfortable walking shoes, we do a lot of walking on hard floors.

Although we typically use the stairs, an elevator is available if anyone has trouble with so many stairs. (We all take the elevator from the 1st to the 6th)

And don't forget, there is a party after the tour, at Larry Buck's Shop in Lowell (about 20 minutes from the factory).

REMINDER TO ALL:

Cameras are allowed, EXCEPT ... video cameras (including the one in your cell phone) can ONLY be used when we are in the 6th floor display area.
Still cameras can be used throughout, but please be courteous to the workers, ... don't get in their way, and don't shoot off flashes in their faces.
<font size="+2">REMINDER!</font>

The Mason & Hamlin Factory tour is fast approaching. Tour is 3 weeks from today.
(Tour starts 9:00 a.m. May 12)

If you were scheduled to join us for the tour but can't make it, please let us know a.s.a.p. so we can offer your slot(s) to someone else.

(Check the list in first post of this thread).

Don't forget... There are other activities planned for the weekend leading up to the Monday tour and Monday night party.

See ... GRAND EVENTS

Also see...

NAME TAGS
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh! Can't make it. Stupid work.

I hope someone gets to have fun in my place. frown
As usual there are people dropping out at the last minute, opening up slots for the alternates.

If you are interested in joining us for our 5th annual Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour, get yourself on the alternates list a.s.a.p.

See the first post in this thread.

And remember, you don't have to join the tour to take advantage of the other activities going on that weekend ( http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/150.html )
Frank,

Since there are openings, I'd like to attend. I will send you email. Thanks

JazzManToo
I'll send an e-mail!! smile
laugh WAKE UP EVERYONE....WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???? laugh
We took a bunch of pictures, I'll try to get them up tonight.

The tour was great! More later...
Out Illustrious Leader Frank #1

[Linked Image]

Thank You to Terrytunes, Stevetunes and anyone else that helped get things ready. It really is a days work. A Long day, but well worth it !!!

I enjoyed meeting everyone that made it to the gathering.

A very important videographer and JeffBC
[Linked Image]

Linda and Jerry Gloo with Dan(Woodfab) on the L and Axtremus on the R also Ed Bonacci peeking right behind Ax

[Linked Image]

Perri and Marc, enjoying moments from Perri's book

[Linked Image]
This tour was a life changing experience--thank you everyone!

I have 100 pictures to share but I don't have the time to upload them individually. Is there a batch upload option anywhere? I've already optimized all the pics to around 200kb each, I just don't want to have to use this form to do them individually:

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/fileuploader2.html

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

[Linked Image]
Chris,

You can email webmaster@pianoworld.com them to me, or tell me where they are located (a folder online?) and I'll grab them and post them to the same directory as the uploader files, then you can just patch in whatever pictures you want.

Thanks for remembering we prefer to host them on our server so they don't disappear on us.

Best,

Frank B.
We not only share piano obsession but also try to keep the name game as simple as possible!
(pic taken at Larry Buck's shop)

[Linked Image]
Kerri (Beelady), Jerry (A441), Perri (Piqué) & Terry(tunes) laugh
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
....try to keep the name game as simple as possible!
Sure they are simple; everybody something "erri/y" laugh
Come on folks, I know lots of pictures were taken.

I'll post some of mine here, will caption a few but not all.

As always, our thanks to the generous folks at Mason & Hamlin for putting together another fantastic tour of their piano factory, for feeding us, and for making us feel welcomed.

Members start gathering as we wait to take the elevator to the 6th floor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alanna and Dad (JeffBC).
This young lady not only remained delightful throughout a long day, she continued on at the party afterwards!

[Linked Image]

Gathering around to watch a rim being formed in the rim press
[Linked Image]

Bruce Clark (engineer and our tour host) explains about the wood used to make the rims...
[Linked Image]

Bruce answers questions (he did a lot of that)

[Linked Image]

The rim press for the 9' CC
[Linked Image]

Continued next post
Member LadyFord (a friend of mine) came all the way from Tampa FL

[Linked Image]

The group exploring and learning
[Linked Image]

Bruce explains the Tension Resonator (a Mason & Hamlin exclusive)...
[Linked Image]

A machine cutting the shape for the contour of the ribs (as you can tell from Allana's fingers in her ears, it was loud!)
[Linked Image]

The group enjoys lunch and a much needed rest from walking
[Linked Image]

Another lunch shot
[Linked Image]

Sneaking in a little piano playing before we resume the tour
[Linked Image]

Back to the tour, watching an craftsman figuring out the down bearing
[Linked Image]

Continued below
Linda & Jerry Gloo, along with Ed B. (all from the Cape) go one on one with Kirk Burgett, one of the owners of Mason & Hamlin.

[Linked Image]

Where the real action is
[Linked Image]

Getting an education on key weights and actions
[Linked Image]

Dad & Daughter discuss the tour (or was it cookies, I'm not sure)
[Linked Image]

Linda from LI (Doogs) tries out a freshly minted BB
[Linked Image]

Nearing the end
[Linked Image]

LadyFord gets some private time with Paul, looong time piano man (over 50 years in the business)
[Linked Image]

Our traditional group shot.
Unfortunately, some people had already left because of other commitments.

[Linked Image]

Hopefully others will be posting their pictures and comments soon.

If you haven't taken this tour yet, start planning now to join us sometime in May of next year (we will post the sign up thread soon, and mention it in our newsletters).

My thanks to everyone who did join us this year, and again to all the folks at Mason & Hamlin for making it possible.

A special thanks also to TerryTunes for organizing the other events around the tour (the Frederick's tour, concert, and after tour party.

To Larry Buck of EJ Buck & Sons Custom Piano Service for once again opening up his shop to us for a fun party, and to Darrell\'s Music Hall of Nashua NH for bringing not one, but two beautiful new Schimmel pianos to the party.

I'm sure others will be posting pictures and comments about the party in another thread, watch for it.

Best,

Frank B.
Nice job TERRY & Frank....THANKS!!!

Glad to see Paul is still working...

To the Burgett Brothers.... thanks so much for keeping M&H a Class A operation...

ps...wished I could have talked the wife into going this year... now maybe if a AA had been given away...jk..still lookin for a M&H key from the Golden Era...
I would really like to thank all the folks at Mason & Hamlin for a great time. I can't imagine any manufacturer anywhere giving a more in-depth and informative tour. Every question was answered without reservation - and they made time for ALL of them. What impressed me most was the in-depth explanations *WHY* Mason & Hamlin does what they do. It is very obvious they are designing and building Mason & Hamlins, not FaziEstoKaYaSteinBosenGraebers.

A special thank you to EVERYONE at M&H and the afterparty for making a four year old feel welcome. Alanna had a great time! She can't wait for her third Piano World event.

Now we're lusting after a Monticello Satin Mahogany BB!

By the end of this weekend I should have some pictures and video ready for posting - stay tuned.
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
We not only share piano obsession but also try to keep the name game as simple as possible!
(pic taken at Larry Buck's shop)

[Linked Image]
[b]Kerri
(Beelady), Jerry (A441), Perri (Piqué) & Terry(tunes) laugh [/b]
Hmmmmnn, arms around 3 good looking women.
What's your secret Jerry?
I’d like to add a special thank you to Cecil Ramirez in coordinating the requested date change for the 2008 PW - M&H tour, which in past years has always taken place on a Tuesday.

I appreciated the efforts of everyone at M&H who assisted in re-scheduling this change, allowing the opportunity for piano related events to unfold over the course of a 3-day weekend.

I was definitely obsessed in my enjoyment of the weekend events and hope others, who were able to take part, enjoyed being amongst the high-spirited fellowship of other piano enthusiasts. 3hearts
This years tour was another fun time, and great learning experience. Thanks so much to the people at Mason & Hamlin for being such great hosts for this event!

We started the tour on the lowest floors where we got to see the inner rim of a Mason 'A' glued together.

The long pieces of maple are run through a machine that applies an even coating of glue (urea formaldehyde I believe)
[Linked Image]

Soon they will go into a massive glue press which will pull the layers together around a form, giving it the appropriate shape. Each model has 2 forms--one each for the inner and outer rim.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Workers put the layers into the press. It takes a bit of 'convincing' to get the maple to bend at such angles, but this is well within the tools capabilities... :-)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

While we were down there, I also took note of the press for gluing the laminations for the bridge together:
[Linked Image]

continued....
One of the fun parts about touring factories, is observing the construction of the building itself. It would be difficult for me to overstate just how massive these support beams that run through the place are..
[Linked Image]

When the rims are glued up, the laminations don't all sit perfectly flush with one another---this tool takes care of that!
[Linked Image]

They have a couple of large CNC machines which help make everything from case parts, (I believe some key-blocks are being made here) structural components, and more tools and jigs that will be used for other operations.
[Linked Image]

This is the inner rim of a piano, with the beams fitted, yet before the Tension Resonator is installed.
[Linked Image]
While at first glance it may seem as though the top surface is flat, it actually has a rather dynamic shape to it. The rim is machined so that it will match the shape that the pre-crowned ribs will give it. For instance, the belly rail (long straight edge along the front) is higher in the middle than on the ends. [Linked Image]There is also a 1 1/2 to 2 degree back angle machined onto the rim. You'll note that there is a cove routed out in the bass section, that tapers off towards the treble. Doing this helps the soundboard vibrate more freely in the bass, (where it needs to) yet provides for the additional stiffness that is required in the treble section of the piano.

Next the tension resonator is installed. The center piece that I'm holding here is made out of cast iron. The long arms are made out steel.
[Linked Image]
The pieces are all nickel plated. Looks beautiful when installed amongst the black beams, which the resonator helps to pull the inner-rim tightly against. All of these components (rim, beams, resonator) for an extraordinarily strong foundation that adds stability and longevity to the piano.

When they use an exotic veneer, at Mason & Hamlin, they do not have this veneer running inside the glue joint between the two rims. Porous, oily woods such as Rosewood, do not glue particularly well. Here you can see the veneer carefully cut out to just barely above where the rims will be glued together.
[Linked Image]

continued....
This shows one of the arms of the piano that has been rough-cut to shape. [Linked Image]

Afterwards, the case will go onto a machine like this, that will cut the smooth contour of the arm onto the piano. [Linked Image]

Once that's taken care of, the veneer for the top of the rim, and the arms can be glued on. The cauls for the arms have to be specially fit to match the contour of the piano, in order to form a solid glue joint. (one of many handy wood-working things that can be made on the cnc machines...) [Linked Image]
This particular piano is going to be sprayed black. For black pianos, they use a laminate, as it forms a very flat, stable surface for the finish.

continued later this evening--time to get to work!
Thanks Rich, nice job.
Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures.

You can tell this was my 5th tour.

I concentrated more on the people this time, Rich (being a technician / restorer) concentrated on the piano building :-)

Come on folks, there were 37 people on this tour, we expect more pictures and comments.
sorry i didn't have my camera so very grateful for the shots others took.

thanks to the folks at m&h for hosting us all day--especial thanks to bruce clark who so patiently and genially answered all our questions--and even seemed to enjoy it!

it was great to finally meet and get to know so many forum members all at once. this was my first pw trip to new england and it seems i'd been missing out. a wonderful community that met through pw has established itself there. i will have to return!
Thank you to Frank and the members of the forum for making me feel so welcomed on my first foray into Piano World. It was a wonderful day. Great tour, great music, gret party.

I enjoyed meeting Perri and Mark. (He must be a very patient man under all that hyperactive persona.

I am so grateful to the wonderful people at Mason & Hamlin for introducing me to the world of beautiful, well make grand pianos. It was a great experience and I send my Kudos to all of the artists that work there, for creating those pianos is truly an art.

I look forward to future Piano World events.
Great pics! I'm not teaching next spring, so I will do whatever I can to make the next tour.

p.s. Rich, that blanket with the blue and pink stripes in your last photo looks like it came from some hospital's maternity ward... but since this is a "nursery" for pianos, I guess it's appropriate. laugh
I was one of the last to leave the M&H factory as I wanted to keep playing the AA with the top secret, super special brand new M&H action.

I'm not sure I'm even allowed to talk about it as it's still in development, but after much hesitation I did get Bruce Clark to tell me about it.

It was a great weekend, and wonderful to meet Jerry/Perri/Terry/Carrie/Larry...as well as all the others whose names don't rhyme!
The Mason & Hamlin folks were terrific!!! I was happily surprised at the depth of information we received. Throughout the tour, we were made to feel like part of the "M & H family." All I'm missing is the piano.....I had not really considered a M & H before the tour, but now they are on my short list!
The Best American Brand I Think........
This is the device used to glue the ribs to the bottom of the soundboard. A long arm with a fire-hose attached is place over each rib--the machine is locked shut, and the hose fills with air, exerting a large amount of even pressure over each of the ribs:
[Linked Image]
Before they are glued on the side of the ribs which contact the soundboard are shaped, so that the board will be crowned after this process.

Afterwards, the other side of the ribs are shaped. A special pattern unique to each model is placed over the underside of the soundboard.
[Linked Image]

That pattern will help guide the machine in this photograph, so that the ribs are shaped quickly and accurately. [Linked Image]

This device is used for clamping the bridges onto the soundboard. They are powerful air-cylinders, with a magnet on top. This allows them the flexibility to place the clamping pressure wherever it is needed for a given model.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is where the front flange of the pinblock is fit to match the shape of the casting. [Linked Image]
The back of the pinblock is left 'oversized' until latter in the process when it is trimmed off as necessary.

Spacers will be hand fit underneath the pinblock, so that it can be glued securely to the rim of the piano. [Linked Image]
In this manner, the pinblock is fit securely to the plate flange, the stretcher, and the rim of the piano, while maintaining the appropriate height, and length relationships needed for that pianos scale design.

At this station, a worker will raise and lower the plate, then carve away some of the bridge cap, to achieve the correct amount of bearing. [Linked Image]

continued....
Wow -
Every year this looks better.
Thanks Cecil and M&H, in advance, for doing this again in 2009! Missed it this year because it would have required absence on Mothers' Day. Amazingly, this tour wasn't what She had in mind!
I'll just say that my husband and I really loved the tour. The night before I was tired and cranky, wondering if I really wanted to spend nearly a whole day in a piano factory...Well - I'm very glad I did. We learned a lot, had fun and met some great folks. We had to hurry off so that husband and son could get to a scouts meeting, but maybe next time we will make it to the party.
Sorry, these are overdue, so I'm just gonna get all the links up while I have a chance this morning.

Here they make the rims, which CT Tech described above.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two things to point out in this picture. One, each of the major contraptions has a name, given by the workers. Bruce said this was an example of the unique culture that has evolved in the factory. Second, this machine is (if I recall correctly) for gluing the bridges onto the sound board. The things hanging down that press the bridge in order to stick it, are attached at the top by electromagnets. They can all be re-arranged, so this same machine is used for every model of piano, where the different models all have different sized and placed bridges. This theme of modularity and re-use occurs elsewhere in the factory, too.
[Linked Image]

In fact, here is the rib gluer. Each model has a different sized sound board and a different number and arrangement of ribs. Each of the horizontal clamp things glues one rib and can be replaced and moved depending on the model being made, so this one machine can glue ribs for every model. A few pictures down you can see another picture with the clamps open. Also, in order to get total and uniform pressure on the ribs while gluing, the actual mechanism in each presser is a segment of firehose that extends the full length of each rib off and is inflated with high pressure air once in place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A fairly long conversation developed over the relative merits of Rita Ribs compared with other methods of glueing ribs to soundboards.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one was pretty awesome. After the ribs are glued on, this template piece is placed over them, and the craftsman guides it through the router, or whatever it is called. It's some fast spinning metal blade that removes the wood not protected by the guide. The result is beautifully shaped ribs already glued to the sound board.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

True skill, and a chisel likely sharper than any you've ever seen. If you have The Piano Book, check out page 38 for an illustration of what's going on here. The holes are where bridge pins will go, which are the point of contact for the string. The ideal goal is to have the finest singularity of a point of contact, so for example the chisel line where the cut starts should go through precisely the center of the group of three holes. The piano string should touch simultaneously the pin and the vertex of the cut.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The player piano modification is being installed on this one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
can somebody please reduce the size or screen resolution of those pictures? they are taking FOREVER to load.
Evening all ....

I found a pen knife under a piano from the "after the tour" party at the shop.

Any one missing such a thing?

Larry
SteveM

You have shared the most incredible piano pics!

Thank you so much...been there a few times, but I am always amazed at what 'others' see - take in - that I missed.

Hope they saved these shots for their archives!

LL
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums