Piano World Home Page
Posted By: patH European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/22/17 08:17 PM
After the great European Piano Parties in the past years, the idea came up to have the next one in Germany, especially on the Rhine.
I looked a bit up, and it turned out that finding a location is challenging.

Several ideas came to mind.
1) Piano party on a ship on the Rhine, with a grand piano.
2) Piano party in a location on the Rhine; preferably close to the Loreley; including a ship trip.
3) Piano party somewhere else.
Option 1 would be the most challenging to find. There are not many public ships for passengers on the Rhine which have grand pianos.

Another thing to consider: When?
Two options: July or early fall, namely September.
Advantage of July: Better weather. The weather in September in Germany can be a lottery game. We could be lucky and have temperatures in the low 20s (centigrade); but we could also have temperatures in the one-digit area.
Advantage of September: Possibly more options for finding a location, and possibly better prices.

I contacted some venues which would fulfill categories 1 or 2 above, and they are already booked out on the first July weekend 2018, and have told me that booking one year in advance is sometimes necessary.

So: I am asking this especially the EPP veterans. Which is your preferred option?
Especially: Which is your preferred time?

I consider option 3 (Piano party somewhere else) a last resort, in case I can't find a location on the Rhine or close to it.
Posted By: casinitaly Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/22/17 09:54 PM
I love long range planning!!!

Personally, I'm ok with early fall.
I'd rather deal with cooler weather - and yes, even rain - and put on a sweater than have to deal with some of the extreme heat we've had the past few summers.

Plus, again speaking just for myself - I am pretty sure that I will have commitments with family in July.

The experience on the Rhine could be really great - but I am equally supportive of holding the party in a restaurant, hotel or bar of some sort that has a piano.

If need be - -- maybe there's a place that has sufficient space and we can bring a piano in? If we have 10 pianists it wouldn't be that much per person - just a thought.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/25/17 12:06 PM
I have not yet been to a piano party, but this post got me rather interested. I would prefer option 2), with or without boat trip. Playing the piano on a boat on the move (option 1) might be somewhat uncomfortable. If it should be September, then right at the beginning of the month since I got many appointments from September 12th onwards. Furthermore, the weather should not yet be a problem then.
Posted By: casinitaly Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/26/17 07:11 AM
@Pianist 685 - It would be great to meet another European Pianist !
Posted By: johan d Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/26/17 09:25 AM
Well, Belgium - Germany, will it ever be closer...? If nothing comes up, I might join.
Posted By: casinitaly Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/26/17 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by johan d
Well, Belgium - Germany, will it ever be closer...? If nothing comes up, I might join.

Our very first one was in Brussels!
Where in Belgium are you? You could host 2019!

It would be lovely to meet you, in either country!
Posted By: johan d Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/26/17 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by casinitaly

20 km from Brussels :-), but I guess I wasn't into piano playing back then. btw Belgium is only 300 km from top to bottom or from right to left :-) +-200 miles
Posted By: casinitaly Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/26/17 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by casinitaly

20 km from Brussels :-), but I guess I wasn't into piano playing back then. btw Belgium is only 300 km from top to bottom or from right to left :-) +-200 miles

My husband and I have visited Belgium several times- and driven through it too smile
The Brussels party was in July 2013, looks like you may have started a few months after that.
Posted By: SwissMS Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 09/30/17 04:42 PM
I love the idea of a European Piano Party in Germany in the Rhine area. I love it there! I just returned from a visit there, and it was lovely. I would prefer September over July because I prefer the cooler fall weather, and I think it could be less crowded and easier to find a venue. However, I am happy with either time. Option two is my choice. There are several nice towns between Rudesheim and Boppard that have nice hotels, but I do not know of one with a piano. The River cruise boats stop at all of the towns. I really like the idea of a boat cruise on one of the days.

OK, I am already excited about this!
Posted By: patH Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 10/06/17 09:27 PM
Quick update: I am now looking for a location on the Rhine with a grand piano; not on a ship; for September 2018. This seems to be the most popular option.
The search is not easy. I will inform you if I find a location. It might be a hotel, or an academy; or something else. The instrument has to be a grand piano.
Posted By: patH Re: European Piano Party 2018 in Germany? - 10/18/17 09:30 PM
We are now looking into two options for Germany 2018: A music academy in Sankt Goar, and Nürnberg, with a location to be determined.

Since these European Piano Parties originate from the Adult Beginners Forum, I have started a new thread there.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2683178/european-piano-party-2018-in-germany.html

Admins: This thread here can now be closed, so the discussion is kept in one place. Thanks. smile

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums