Piano World Home Page
CAPE COD Piano Party!

Starting Sat. Oct. 8, 2011

Our hosts Roberta & Ed have confirmed they would like to host another party in their wonderful home.
We are still hoping to get word about additional hosting at one or two other homes in the area.

And we are planning a Tour of the Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Friday Oct. 7!

Keep your eye on this thread, more details to follow as they come in.

If you don't know what a treat the Cape Cod piano parties are, check out this thread for pictures and details from previous parties...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1221179

The Cape is beautiful in the fall, Roberta & Ed's home is made for entertaining, and they own a lovely Mason & Hamlin baby grand and a digital piano. We share food and drink, music, and good times.

Please reply to this thread if you're interested in joining us, and also send
me an email ( webmaster@pianoworld.com ) with your forums name, real name, and state.

Come on, this is always a GREAT TIME!

ATTENDING THE CAPE COD PIANO PARTY:

Frank Baxter (FL)
Kathy Ford (FL)
Angela H. (AngelainMpls) (MN)
lillylady (MA)
ike & fay cole (MA)
becket senchur (MA)
Jerry & Linda Gloo (MA)
Diana D. (MA) (Can host a couple people in Eastham)
Howard & Sue (IL/MA)
Sheldon Powers and Cathy Langone (MA)
William Whitaker (MA)
Ginny & Mike (MA)
Larry & Patty (MA)
Margy (IL)

Sue by the way is Sue Keller, ragtime pianist extraordinaire, a wonderful entertainer and lots of fun. Howard is the sound expert who kindly recorded everyone's playing for our
last Cape party. Happy to have them both back for this party, along with everyone else who is joining us. If you haven't signed up yet, jump in!

[Linked Image]

Hello All:

I'm new to the Piano World forums and I plan to attend both the Mason Hamlin tour as well as the Cape Cod party.

I played the piano in high school and after 18 years have started to take lessons and play again. I'm looking forward to the tour meeting everyone in October!

Angela
Angela

You will enjoy both events!

Count me in for the Cape Cod Party.

I hope that the other hosts will also offer their homes and pianos again.

List me as LL please, Frank
Posted By: Ed B Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 05/09/11 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by lilylady

I hope that the other hosts will also offer their homes and pianos again.

It's a little early, but we are definitely planning to have a party. Marilyn and/or Helga may not be here, so that is an open question. and we haven't talked to the Sunday hosts yet.
looking forward to another fantastic cape gathering!! Thank you for getting this setup at such an early date. Steve & I will both be there.
That's great Terry, looking forward to seeing you and Steve at the Cape party!

Best,

Frank & Kathy
Posted By: hv Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 05/20/11 03:26 PM
Sue and I will both be there and are looking forward to it.

Howard
That's great Howard, we were hoping you two would join us.

I wish you could have joined us on the European Piano Tour as well, going to be
quite the experience.

See you on the Cape in October!

Best,

Frank B.
For those of you who have not met/heard Sue yet, here is one small example of her ragtime piano playing...

A tune called Alabamy Bound

Please count me in. Thanks!
sue's playing is wonderful! what fun!

i would love to be there. don't know yet if i can make it happen, but will pencil it in.
Originally Posted by Piano World
CAPE COD Piano Party!

Starting Sat. Oct. 8, 2011

Our hosts Roberta & Ed have confirmed they would like to host another party in their wonderful home.
We are still hoping to get word about additional hosting at one or two other homes in the area.

And we are planning a Tour of the Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Friday Oct. 7!

Keep your eye on this thread, more details to follow as they come in.

If you don't know what a treat the Cape Cod piano parties are, check out this thread for pictures and details from previous parties...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1221179

The Cape is beautiful in the fall, Roberta & Ed's home is made for entertaining, and they own a lovely Mason & Hamlin baby grand and a digital piano. We share food and drink, music, and good times.

Please reply to this thread if you're interested in joining us, and also send
me an email ( webmaster@pianoworld.com ) with your forums name, real name, and state.

Come on, this is always a GREAT TIME!

ATTENDING THE CAPE COD PIANO PARTY:

Frank Baxter (FL)
Kathy Ford (FL)
John Citron (MA)
Angela H. (AngelainMpls) (MN)
lillylady (MA)
ike & fay cole (MA)
becket senchur (MA)
Jerry & Linda Gloo (MA)
Diana D. (MA) (Can host a couple people in Eastham)
Howard & Sue (IL/MA)
Sheldon Powers and Cathy Langone (MA)
William Whitaker (MA)

Sue by the way is Sue Keller, ragtime pianist extrodinaire, a wonderful entertainer and lots of fun. Howard is the sound expert who kindly recorded everyone's playing for our
last Cape party. Happy to have them both back for this party, along with everyone else who is joining us. If you haven't signed up yet, jump in!

[Linked Image]

I'd love to join but I'm going on vacation and arriving in Connecticut a day before that time. cry The funny thing is that we are actually going to Cape Cod in the same month, just after the Piano Party.
We will probably be driving through Connecticut the day you arrive there (side note, I used to live in CT).

Too bad you have to miss the party, it's a great time.

Of course, you can always host your own some time :-)

- Frank B.
Posted By: Misha Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 07/26/11 12:15 AM
Really great piano playing by Sue!
Posted By: apple* Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 07/26/11 09:33 PM
loved Sue's playing.. my daughter wants to go to Cape Cod.. like I have vacation money.. it would be nice to coincide a visit with a party.. seems they are rather frequent.
We'd love to have you join us apple.
Kathy and I are driving up so we can take our time driving back and do some visiting/sight-seeing.

And you know you have an open invitation to visit Largo Florida, Kathy and I would love to see you.

Best,

Frank B.
Hi Apple,

Hope you decide to make it this fall. We haven't had one for two years and before that it was two years! Makes them really special.

Kathy K usually comes down. Beelady, sometimes Bernard, too.
I won't be there this time. But, please, everyone carry on without me. smile
Sorry to hear you won't be joining us this time Eric.
It's shaping up to be a fun party, as usual :-)

Well here it is. My friend from the city lives up near there and we've decided to come to the Cape Cod piano party. We wont be able to make the Mason & Hamlin tour unfortunately. But we'll be very happy to see you all there. Looking forward to it.

Best,

David Burton
This is the first time I think I haven't had anything else scheduled for that weekend. I'd like to come, too!
Originally Posted by Piano Again
This is the first time I think I haven't had anything else scheduled for that weekend. I'd like to come, too!

Great, please join us.
It's a fun time.
The time is coming soon!

If you plan on joining us, please make sure I have your contact information.
I sent an email and a PM but haven't heard anything. It's getting kind of late to make travel plans now.
Hi Piano Again,

Not sure what you need to hear that isn't already posted.
The party will be Saturday Oct. 8, 2011 in Orleans on Cape Cod (MA).

We usually start early afternoon and run until ?
At this point it doesn't look like there will be more than one house this year (previous years we had 3-4 houses hosting).

Specific contact and address info will be sent directly to each person who contacts me directly if they are sure they will be joining us.

Everyone is encouraged to play the piano at these gatherings (spouses and significant others who don't play are exempt). If you can bring some goodies and/or wine/soda/beer/etc. that would help the host & hostess.

Again I can put the attendees and the hosts together via email and/or phone.

Now that it's getting close I will be asking everyone who said they were coming to confirm and give me a head count (same with those who are joining us for the Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory tour the day before).

I wish I could go to that party ... unfortunately I'm thousands miles away from you. I loved listening to Sue.
I hope you all have fun!
Hello,

Sounds like fun, my wife Luisa and I would love to come.
Count us in,

Dan

( woodfab )
Great Dan, looking forward to seeing you and Luisa there.

Party Starting time please?

Noon?

I plan on staying with Diane who will be a first time attendee.

Piano Again, I do hope that you can make it?

Erik, have we got you confirmed yet? Will your son also be attending this year?

I'll bring home grown SALSA!

And some daylilies that friends can take home and plant!

Posted By: hv Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 09/13/11 03:17 PM
Confirming Sue and I will be there. In fact, I might have my Steinway console in tow... right now I have nothing but an old Yamaha CP70 where we stay out there.

Howard
Originally Posted by hv
Confirming Sue and I will be there. In fact, I might have my Steinway console in tow... right now I have nothing but an old Yamaha CP70 where we stay out there.

Howard

I didn't think the wheels on a console were big enough to tow it :-)

Looking forward to seeing you two at the party.

If you ever get down Southeast Florida way I'd love to have Sue take my New Piano for a Spin.

Posted By: Ed B Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 09/22/11 02:30 AM
If you are planning to attend I have listed some places to stay below and have added specific driving directions.

Motels:
Skaket Beach Motel in Orleans MA is a right turn off Exit 12 from Rt. 6 and your easiest access to the party. Telephone 1-800-835-0298.

The Cove Motel in Orleans is on Rt. 28 across from the Christmas Tree Shop. www.thecoveorleans.com

The Governor Prence Inn is on Rt 6A near the Christmas Tree Shop. http://www.governorprenceinn.com/

In Eastham on Rt. 6 there are 2 motels next to each other:
One is the Sheraton www.fourpoints.com and the other is
Ocean Park Inn www.oceanparkinn-eastham.com

Also in Orleans is the delightful Nauset House Inn
http://www.nausethouseinn.com/index.htm

And in Eastham THE WHALEWALK INN - EASTHAM, MA - (508) 255-0617

Two motels I don't know much about are:

Seashore Park Inn
24 Canal Road, Orleans, MA
Toll Free Reservations: 1-800-772-6453

Old Tavern Motel & Inn
Rt 6A, Orleans
Phone 800-544-7705
e-mail baderson@msn.com

Driving directions

From the south or west I 95 (CT turnpike) to Providence, I 195 to I 495 which becomes Rt 25, cross the canal on the Bourne Bridge, go around the Bourne rotary to the last exit before the bridge then follow the signs to Rt 6 (the mid cape highway).

Get off Rt 6 at X 12, turn right at the end of the ramp, to the first traffic light (less than one block), [the Skaket Beach Motel is on your right], turn right at the light onto Eldridge Parkway, after two more traffic lights Eldridge Parkway becomes Tonset Rd. Follow Tonset for 2 miles to Freeman Lane, bear left on Freeman for about 1/4 mi, we are the first house on the right (51 Freeman Lane) after the Snow Point turn around. The party begins around noon on Saturday.
If you are coming from the west get onto I 495 and follow the directions above from I 495.

If you are coming from the north then Rt 3 south is the best bet. Go over the Sagamore Bridge and you are on Rt 6. Follow The above directions from Rt 6 to Exit 12 and on to our house. Depending on where your starting point is, you may want to consider avoiding Rt 3 South by taking Rt 128 to Rt 24 South to I 495 and crossing the canal on the Bourne Bridge. Or follow RT 3 to the flyover and across the Sagamore Bridge onto Rt 6. Then get off at exit 12 as above.
A few people have asked me what they should bring.

From Roberta (our hostess)...
"whatever they want to bring...last year it all fell into place. I plan to concentrate on the dinner and plan to make a big batch of chicken, sausage and peppers and my fumi salad ( sort of a Cole slaw with twist) so whatever someone wants to add to that and then some appetizers, dips, dessert whatever.... I don't know!!! Everyone usually does their own thing and it always works."
Linda will make lasagna and Jerry is doing beans.
Originally Posted by novelinda
Linda will make lasagna and Jerry is doing beans.

And I will make room for both thumb
Posted By: A441 Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/06/11 02:47 AM
Talked with our host Roberta Lang this aftrnoon........
Starting time is 1:00pm Sat

Roberta and her brother Ed have ordered perfect weather for this "grand" occasion!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

Jerry
Sometimes hard as one tries, one just can't make it. This is the case with the Cape Cod party. We just can't seem to be able to get there in time. Then I also injured my solo finger (right hand pinky) and that will take a while to bring back.
The party is on, the weather is perfect!
We are in the Boston area now (at Dunkin Donuts), heading down the Cape.

JOIN US if you Can!
Have fun everyone! Don't forget the group photo.
I was so looking forward to the famous Cape Cod Party this year. Then circumstances made it not possible.

;-(

I hope that everyone is having a grand time. A big "HELLO" to my friends!

I played the couple of Chopin pieces I had prepared this morning in your honor-including the Fantasie Impromptu, a new one still in progress.

Your weather is perfect and I bet the food delish! And we all know that the hosts and participants the best.

Looking forward to pics and vids.

LL

Posted By: hv Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/09/11 07:55 PM
Hi, lilylady. So sorry we didn't see you here this weekend. But I did shoot a few videos so maybe you'll feel a little like being here. Here's the 1st I processed and uploaded with my laptop. Which was a little slow going so I'll only be able to do a few before I start my drive home to IL tomorrow. So here's Frank performing a composition of his own... I'm not sure if I got the title right but I'll correct it later:

[video:youtube]Skl0Tg-sDtM[/video]

and...

[video:youtube]mOI_zjsnHq4[/video]

[video:youtube]9Rb0ac9yxV8[/video]

More videos to follow... as well as somewhat better quality and more complete mp3 audio.

Howard
Thank you HV!

Almost like being there!

Well, not quite...I didn't get to taste the food spread!!! Looking forward to more pics and vids.

;-)
Posted By: Ed B Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/10/11 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by lilylady
Thank you HV!

Almost like being there!

Well, not quite...I didn't get to taste the food spread!!! Looking forward to more pics and vids.

;-)

We missed you, and so did the M & H.

Ed
Luisa and I had a wonderful time.
It was so nice of Roberta and Ed to host the gathering.
Almost had to much wine, lucky my wife was keeping her eye on me.
Playing the M & H was and listening to everyone else play was a joy.

Thanks very much Roberta and Ed

Dan (piano tinkerer)
I would like to thank Ed and Roberta for generously extending their home as well as preparing an absolutely wonderful array of really tasty food.

Thank You Ed and Roberta.

Patti and I enjoyed meeting everyone there and listening to some very nice piano playing.

I'd like to add my thanks to Roberta and Ed for another fabulous piano party!
Their home is perfect for entertaining, and they are top notch hosts.

Always a pleasure to see old friends and make new ones.
Everyone enjoyed lots of wonderful music and great food.

We had a little of just about every type of music, much of which hv recorded with his professional recording equipment.

I'd also like to thank Larry Buck for doing such a nice job voicing/tuning Roberta's piano, and for taking lots of candid shots with his high-end camera equipment, looking forward to the pictures.

And thank you for having amazing weather for us. Sunday Kathy and I drove back up to my sister's in Swampscott and on Monday morning the four of us took a ride up into the White Mountains of New Hampshire to see the folliage. It was gorgeous, even had two moose walk in front of us.

We (Kathy and I) just got back last night so I have a lot of catching up to do, will post more (including pictures) soon.

Posted By: A441 Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/13/11 11:20 PM
Well, you did it again Roberta and Ed. A perfect day at your beautiful home. Wonderful food, music, nice weather, some crazy folks, and a good time. Always a joy to play and hear your Mason&Hamlin grand. You do have room for a BB or a CC you know. Maybe next time.
Thanks so much for being such wonderful hosts!

Jerry
Posted By: A441 Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/13/11 11:28 PM
Many thanks to Larry Buck for the fine work he does getting our pianos ready for our Cape Cod gatherings. No small chore coming all the way down from Lowell. Very much appreciated by all of us.
Very nice meeting Patti...hope her race results were what she was hoping for.
Jery
Posted By: hv Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/19/11 06:51 PM
Here are the bulk of the recordings from Ed & Roberta's Mason & Hamlin piano which was in rare form thanks to Larry Buck:

La Voltige (Rope Dance); Henri Van Gael; Ed Papier & Sue Keller
In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Edvard Grieg; Ed Papier & Sue Keller
PeterGink; George Cobb; Sue Keller
The Strenuous Life; Scott Joplin; Sue Keller
Sonate; Francis Poulenc; Ed Papier & Sue Keller
Rustique; Francis Poulenc; Ed Papier & Sue Keller
Prelude #1; Gershwin; Ed Papier
Prelude #2; Gershwin; Ed Papier
Prelude #3; Gershwin; Ed Papier
Stickey Fingers by Sheldon Powers
Quiet Moments by SheldonPowers
Dan Powers playing
Dan Powers Playing
Dan Powers playing
Dan Powers playing
Dan Powers playing
My Foolish Heart & Fools Rush In; Jerry Gloo
Medley; Jerry Gloo
Rachmaninoff IV; Ed Papier
Italian Concerto 2 Andante; Bach; Ed Papier
Italian Concerto 3 Presto; Bach; Ed Papier
One For The Road; Max Morath; Sue Keller
Causeway Blues; Donald Ashwander; Sue Keller
Jingles; James P Johnson; Sue Keller
Belle Of Louisville; Frank French; Sue Keller
Serenity by Sheldon Powers
Beer Barrel Polka; Jaromír Vejvoda; Alec Kuzmeskas
Tango Of Roses; Vittorio Mascheroni; Alec Kuzmeskas
Moondance; Van Morrison; Frank Baxter
Kathy's Song by Frank Baxter
Wine Women & Song; Strauss; Lilly Kuzmeskas
Accelleration Waltz; Strauss; Lilly Kuzmeskas
Trois Donces Andalouses; Torina; Ed Papier
Twinkle Variations pt1; Mozart; Ed Papier
Twinkle Variations pt2; Mozart; Ed Papier
Dan Powers playing
Waterfall by Frank Baxter
Blue Rondo; Dave Brubeck; Frank Baxter
Moonlight Variations; Frank Baxter
Russian Rag; George Cobb; Sue Keller
The Furry Lisa; George Schneider; Sue Keller
Schroeder& Lucy Excerpt; Sue Keller
Silver King; Charles Johnson; Sue Keller
Dizzy Fingers; Zez Confrey; Sue Keller
Kitten On The Keys; Zez Confrey; Sue Keller
Kitten On The Keys; comments by Sue Keller
Alabamy Bound; Henderson; Sue Keller

Sorry if I didn't catch all the titles... I think Dan might have done a little composing on the spot. I still have some videos left to do which hopefully will also yield some vocal tracks.

Howard
Great job Harold!
Thanks so much for capturing the recordings (and videos).

It's always fun to see pictures, but now we can listen too.

Posted By: Ed B Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/23/11 09:01 PM
Great Job Howard,

I just finished downloading all that music to my computer(s) and my iPhone. Now I can enjoy the piano party over and over again.

Many thanks,

Ed
Posted By: A441 Re: Cape Cod Piano Party 2011! Save The Dates - 10/26/11 01:52 PM
Thank you Howard for all your hard work. A wonderful job of recording....pretty neat for all of us to hear our "professional" playing with applause no less.
Thanks again to Roberta and Ed for hosting our special gathering.

Jeremy
Thanks, guys. Here's the rest of the videos I shot. Wish I could have shot everyone but I didn't want to be too intrusive. In fact, I didn't drag out the tripod till about half way through, so you might need some dramamine for the first few of them.

Strenueous Life - Scott Joplin

Frank & Kathy together

Variations On Moonliight Sonata

Root Beer Rag - Billy Joel

Kathy's Song

Moondance - Van Morrison

Dan Powers playing

Dan Powers playing

Russin Rag - George L Cobb

The Furry Lisa - George Schneider

Silver King - Charles L Johnson

The Vatican Rag - Tom Lehrer

Sue's comments on Kitten on the Keys

Howard
Thanks Howard, nothing like a video/audio to show me how sloppy my
playing was :-)

It was fun seeing/hearing Kathy do her take off of Memories though.

My contributions, caught on video by Howard:

Frank & Kathy together (spoof of Memory from Cats)
Variations on Moonlight Sonata (my rock version, with apologies to Beethoven)
Kathy's Song (one I wrote for Kathy about knowing each other as children and finding each other again 40 years later)
Moondance (my version of the Van Morrison classic)
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums