Piano World Home Page
Posted By: mstrongpianist How is this commonly performed?? - 12/30/09 10:07 PM
Chopin Ballade no. 4... After nearly 2 years, on and off, of studying and polishing this piece, I am still contemplating the right hand at the downbeat of m223 and again at m225 (I numbered measures myself, forgive me if this is incorrect):

Is it Eb (Peters ed) or F (Dover ed) over G# ?? F is in the bass. Both function .. Eb fits sequence (Eb, Gb, A, C), and if you think of the G# as Ab, then F tonicizes (which I think brings about a fleeting moment of tranquility in this tempestuous coda)..

Which do you use, or which have you most commonly heard in performance?

~mstrongpianist
Posted By: BruceD Re: How is this commonly performed?? - 12/30/09 10:22 PM
Henle gives G-sharp/F in the right hand over F/C in the left in measure 223, and G-sharp/F in the right hand over F octave in the left in measure 225. There is no note in the comments indicating any differences from other source materials.

Regards,
Posted By: sotto voce Re: How is this commonly performed?? - 12/30/09 11:18 PM
The Scholz edition published by Peters is the only one I've seen that has an Eâ™­ instead of F in those two measures.

The Joseffy edition published by Schirmer acknowledges Scholz's divergence in a footnote to each measure, but doesn't offer an explanation for it.

In an interesting twist, the original German edition of Breitkopf & Härtel (at Chopin's First Editions Online) has the conventional G♯ and F in bar 223 but no dyad at all in bar 225—only G♯.

Klindworth, ever the contrarian, notates the G♯ as A♭ in both places. smile

Steven
Posted By: Lemon Pledge Re: How is this commonly performed?? - 12/30/09 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by mstrongpianist
which have you most commonly heard in performance?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone play an E-flat in that spot. And I've probably heard 50 different performances.
Posted By: mstrongpianist Re: How is this commonly performed?? - 12/31/09 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Lemon Pledge

I don't think I've ever heard anyone play an E-flat in that spot. And I've probably heard 50 different performances.

Neither have I, but I started listening to numerous recordings today to see if I'd missed something! But now I'm wondering, how would that go over with listeners if I were to play Scholtz's e-flat... hm...

~mstrongpianist
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums