Piano World Home Page

LRCM

Posted By: Cantabile_affettuo

LRCM - 07/06/09 05:09 AM

I just noticed that RCM examinations has introduced a level BEYOND the ARCT Performers, called the Licentiate of the RCM in Piano Performance (LRCM). They posted the syllabus for it online. What do you all think? Is this meant to be a replacement for getting a post-secondary piano degree in piano performance?
Posted By: pianist.ame

Re: LRCM - 07/06/09 12:51 PM

oh...that's nice! I might take it sometime when I go back to canada and i'll ask my canada teacher about it as well smile

thanks!
Posted By: Kreisler

Re: LRCM - 07/06/09 01:08 PM

I don't think so. Enrolling in a degree program and being a part of the academic community is quite a bit different than preparing for and taking an exam.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: LRCM - 07/06/09 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cantabile_affettuo
I just noticed that RCM examinations has introduced a level BEYOND the ARCT Performers, called the Licentiate of the RCM in Piano Performance (LRCM). They posted the syllabus for it online. What do you all think? Is this meant to be a replacement for getting a post-secondary piano degree in piano performance?

As Kreisler points out, this is not a degree program; it is (simply) a diploma beyond the ARCT level.

Regards,
Posted By: Cantabile_affettuo

Re: LRCM - 07/06/09 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BruceD

As Kreisler points out, this is not a degree program; it is (simply) a diploma beyond the ARCT level.

Actually, I think the ARCT was originally intended to be a "distance ed" version of a college music degree, which is why they have so many theory and history co-requisites along with the practical exam. I'm just throwing this out for discussion because I'm wondering what kind of students this exam would attract. I'd imagine that anyone serious enough to play on this level would be a pursuing a full music degree, which is why I'm suggesting that it may be intended for those who are looking to get a university level music education privately.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: LRCM - 07/06/09 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BruceD

I'm just throwing this out for discussion because I'm wondering what kind of students this exam would attract.

That's an interesting point upon which to speculate. What kind of student, pursuing a music degree - or even having obtained a music degree - would be a likely candidate for the LRCM diploma?

I'd imagine that anyone serious enough to play on this level would be a pursuing a full music degree, which is why I'm suggesting that it may be intended for those who are looking to get a university level music education privately.

"University level" perhaps, but I'm not sure that one can equate the acquiring of a performance diploma - albeit with pretty stringent and demanding co-requisites in theory, as well - with the collegiate university experience leading to a degree.

The new LRCM Syllabus goes one step further by indicating that those already holding a degree in music wishing to work towards the LRCM diploma "may be eligible for exemptions from any or all of the ... prerequisites." This suggests to me that, perhaps - and I'm only speculating at this point - the aim (co-requisites notwithstanding) is to produce candidates with an even higher level of performance standard than what might be demanded of one in a typical undergraduate degree in music.

Given the repertoire lists in this new syllabus, the works are more technically and musically demanding than what are often considered the minimal norm for graduating bachelor-degree recitals. I don't know how these requirements would compare with a doctoral recital in piano performance, however.

Regards,
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums