Piano World Home Page
Due to all the sheet music I've been printing out lately, I have chosen to file all of them into this binder to reduce clutter. I thought, just for kicks, I'll even add a parody cover to the binder that facsimiles the cover that G Schirmer uses for their books.

Question is though, what fonts do they use for the various text for their books? I want the cover to look something like these:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Of the commonly used TrueType fonts, Arial is probably close enough to fool anyone who isn't an expert in typography.

Steven
Well after about an hour's worth of work (yes, I have that much of a life...) here are the results, I am quite oddly proud of this little waste of an hour:
[Linked Image]
Well.. Any comments? Any criticisms? Any... care?
I like it, but there probably aren't enough proponents of G. Schirmer here to agree. Replacing the hanging garlands with rods of Asclepius is a nice touch. smile

Steven
It looks really good. I was an associate editor for Schirmer for a while in the 1980s. The look had already been established since just about the beginning of civilization, so the topic of fonts never came up. I'm not sure why you want to duplicate the look, but if you plan on selling it I'd be careful about copyright.
No wonder you're a pianist. Patience, obsessive attention to detail wavering on perfectionist, large amounts of time wasted on something that doesn't matter in the end... laugh

TOTALLY something I would do... grin

You could have probably saved yourself some time and heartache by just editing out the main title text, and replacing with the text you wanted. That way you would keep the background color, and the logo and figures would be the same. That's how I would have approached it anyways...

Daniel
Originally Posted by nosrepemos
Well.. Any comments? Any criticisms? Any... care?

I love it!
As a former typesetter, the font looks a lot like New Century Gothic.

http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/SearchPage.htm?kid=New%20Century%20Gothic

Arial is very close to this.

In the very old days when I was typesetting, a single font from a family would have cost around $650.00. Today if you really want to go for it, it'll run you around $25.00

John
I like it, too, but I wonder why you would want to replicate the Schirmer's Library cover rather than designing one of your own. I would be cautious, however, about posting on a public forum using both the Schirmer name and logo.

Regards,
Originally Posted by John Citron
As a former typesetter, the font looks a lot like New Century Gothic.

That's a good guess, but I don't think that's it. In particular, the 'h', 'C', 't', 'f', and 'S' are noticeably different.
Here's a comparison:
The first one is from MS Word using Century Gothic typeface.
The second one is the OP's photocopy of Hanon.
Close, but not an exact match.

[Linked Image]
Don't you have a friend who's pretty good at drawing?

It wouldn't be that hard.

Just a suggestion...
Originally Posted by Tenuto

Just a suggestion...

Grammatically awkward contraction use, "Don't you have a friend..", which in essence is the contraction for Do not you have a friend. When asking a question, far better syntax to start the this sentence, "You don't have a friend"... which uncontracted, reads, "You do not have a friend...?" which makes more sene than the way you used it, Yoda.
I think it's a really fun, spoofy idea. Maybe you could just email somebody at Schirmer and ask them. They must have a graphic design department, a promotions department, or a PR department. Shouldn't be too hard to find some email address. Tell them what you're doing, and it's just a private thing. Who knows? You might hit on somebody who understands the humor and fun of it, and just sends the information on.

Tomasino
Originally Posted by BJones
Originally Posted by Tenuto

Just a suggestion...

Grammatically awkward contraction use, "Don't you have a friend..", which in essence is the contraction for Do not you have a friend. When asking a question, far better syntax to start the this sentence, "You don't have a friend"... which uncontracted, reads, "You do not have a friend...?" which makes more sene than the way you used it, Yoda.

There's nothing grammatically awkward about Tenuto's usage. In a declarative sentence, the pronoun comes before the auxiliary verb; in an interrogative, they're generally inverted.

Steven
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums