Piano World Home Page

Which sonata should I play...?

Posted By: op30no3

Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 01:38 AM

Well, my senior recital is coming up and I know most of what I want to play. Here are the things I know I'm going to play:
Liebestraume
Rachmaninoff Preludes Op. 23 Nos. 4 and 5
Barber Sonata
Haydn Sonata Hob. XVI/23 in F Major (I know it's easy--I just like it)
Chopin Etudes Op. 25

My dilemma is that I can't decide whether I want to play Scriabin's fourth Sonata or Prokofiev's third, or do you think that make it too heavy of a recital?

*don't take into account difficulty of the program or anything like that--look at it as far as personal taste and how it would fit musically*
Posted By: Monsieur_Pichon

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 02:39 AM

mmmm.......why not Beethoven's sonata No. 31?....is not too long...AND IS HUGE!!!!

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 02:48 AM

Originally posted by KoRnU:
mmmm.......why not Beethoven's sonata No. 31?....is not too long...AND IS HUGE!!!!
Well... the first problem is that I don't know it (I have played the Prokofiev and Scriabin in the past).

I also only have 19 days to get ready, so I think that learning a late Beethoven sonata might not be a good idea... :p

Besides that, I don't feel like I'm quite ready as a Beethoven interpreter or person to play late Beethoven.

If not for those things, an excellent suggestion. laugh
Posted By: BruceD

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 03:59 AM

Op30No3:

If people ever do address the question, specifically, for either the Scriabin or the Prokofiev, you'll most likely get something close to a split decision.

It's your recital; you should make the decision what to play based on your own musical sensibilities, not on those of others. Make the decision and then go for it!

Regards,
Posted By: argerichfan

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 04:13 AM

Originally posted by BruceD:
It's your recital; you should make the decision what to play based on your own musical sensibilities, not on those of others. Make the decision and then go for it!
Just breezing by before heading off to work. Cheers, mate, I think BruceD has nailed it. Excellent advice, okay?

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 01:08 PM

Thing is, I have a split decision myself, hence my asking for advice.
Posted By: PoStTeNeBrAsLuX

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 01:16 PM

Personally, I'd prefer to hear the Prokofiev, if that helps in any way smile .

-Michael B.
Posted By: Lemon Pledge

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 01:20 PM

Originally posted by BruceD:
Op30No3:

I think it's very sensible to solicit the opinions of others regarding programming. I don't ask others to critique my interpretations or to suggest new pieces to learn, but programming is a different matter. Recitals are public events, and the sensibilities of the audience (whatever type of audience is likely to attend) should probably be taken into account. After all, who shows up at piano recitals, apart from the friends and acquaintances of the performer? Generally you get a random assortment of pianophiles, which is exactly what we have on this forum.

As we prepare pieces we tend to develop highly individual associations with them, which can disort our sense of how they will be received by third parties. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a quick survey about whether a program "works". Ultimately the decision is ours anyway.

To the OP: if you're playing the entire set of Op.25 then I think your program is already long enough without another sonata. Otherwise I can't express a preference between the Prok and the Scriabin.
Posted By: tomasino

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 02:00 PM

Hi,

I usually don't get into threads like this, because, as a singer first, my knowledge of piano rep is limited.

At any rate, you've got 19 days. You better make a decision. Maybe it doesn't make any difference, and it's just a matter of making a decision fast.

A very usual way of structuring a recital is historical. Start sequentially with Haydn and go through to the most modern. Looking at it that way, the Haydn really seems out of place. There's nothing in between. No Beethoven or very early romantics.

Still thinking historically, perhaps you should structure your recital around a shorter time period. Too broad a historical sweep gives no focus. Give your recital a working title, say "Late romantic to early 20th century--the transition" And looking at it that way, maybe you want to cut the Barber.

So I'm thinking you should drop both the Barber and the Haydn, and play both the Scriabin and the Prokofief. Prokofief last.

Tomasino
Posted By: Kreisler

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 02:08 PM

Program seems plenty big enough as is.

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 02:19 PM

The list is not really in order; I haven't gotten around to thinking about it too much, but I need to play both the Barber and Haydn, as I play them both in a competition two weeks later, and they need some airing out.

I'm not going for the historical theme--I am playing Liebestraume first because it is the song that got me into piano, and will be a good icebreaker between the hall and me.

Secondly, I want to end the first half with the Barber. Two reasons: first, it has a fantastic last movement with a big finish so I don't want to have anything following it directly--it just wouldn't feel right to me; and second, It is not the easiest piece to understand for an audience--they have to think--so I want it in the first half before their intellectual side is worn out for the night.

Yea, I do need to make a decision, and I will make one today.

Michael and Lemon--thanks for the input. Those are the kinds of responses I wanted.

[Edit] And thanks Kreisler--I know you like shorter programs, and I'm thinking, after you and Lemon, that I'm going to just leave it out.
Posted By: Musicalnotes14

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 03:46 PM

thumb
Posted By: Kreisler

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 05:52 PM

Well, the program's already about 80 minutes long (not including intermission), but if you really want more, I'd round it out with more Rachmaninoff. Two preludes is a nice taste, but adding something a little less-known like Op. 23#3 and #6 might make for a nice set.

Program looks great, though, and good luck on the competition. Believe it or not, I think it's the Haydn that'll set you apart. It's one of my favorites, too, and the second movement especially is gorgeous!

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Kreisler:
Well, the program's already about 80 minutes long (not including intermission), but if you really want more, I'd round it out with more Rachmaninoff. Two preludes is a nice taste, but adding something a little less-known like Op. 23#3 and #6 might make for a nice set.

Program looks great, though, and good luck on the competition. Believe it or not, I think it's the Haydn that'll set you apart. It's one of my favorites, too, and the second movement especially is gorgeous!
I'm rather hoping it will set me apart. And yes, what a second movement! Beautiful!
Posted By: kcoul058

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 08:29 PM

Play the 3rd Prokofiev Sonata. I played it and it is a masterpiece, not that the Scriabin isn't, but considering the rest of your program, put the Prokofiev last in the order, and you will have one heck of a grand finale! The climactic ending of this Sonata just makes it a great recital closer, provided your audience has a reasonably open ear for modern harmony, which they aught to nowadays. I played it as the closer for my ARCT jury, where the jurors had pretty conservative tastes, but this would be a completely different scenario!

As for the piece to program before it, go with the Barber! It would make quite the early contemporary double whammy. The Scriabin 4th is a great work, but its dreamy quality makes it fit in more with a different sort of program.
Posted By: Fleeting Visions

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 08:57 PM

Beethoven Op. 31 is 3 different sonatas. That would kill you, given the difficulty of #3 in particular.
Posted By: kreisleriana

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 09:00 PM

Originally posted by kcoul058:
Play the 3rd Prokofiev Sonata. The climatic ending of this Sonata just makes it a great recital closer,
That's interesting, because I actually felt that the ending of Prokofiev's 3rd sounds weak compares to the opening and other climaitic sections. And for this reason, I think Prokofiev will work much better if you use it as a recital starter.

On the other hand, I love Scriabin and Scriabin will give your program more contrast than Prokofiev.

Btw, I'd echo others point: your program is LONG enough as it is. Think for your audience; there's only so much they can take, after that mental threshold they will begin to lose interest and concentration...

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 09:02 PM

He said No. 31, not Op. 31. But yes, learning three Beethoven sonatas in 18 days would probably kill me.

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 09:03 PM

Oh, I'm sorry.

But, yea, if you're doing Op. 25, that seems long enough to me eek .

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 09:17 PM

Yea, I've been thinking today that I'm going to do this:

Liebestraume
Rachmaninoff
Barber
-Intermission-
Haydn
Chopin

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/21/07 09:27 PM

Anyways, that Chopin is a fantastically epic way to finish the concert.

If you were considering any suggestions in that way, Sciarrino wrote a fantastic encore piece that mixed "Singing in the Rain" with Ravel's Jeux D'Eau.
Posted By: verywellmister

Re: Which sonata should I play...? - 05/22/07 05:04 PM

4th Scriabin Sonata
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums