Piano World Home Page
Posted By: whippen boy Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 08:26 AM
Does anybody else like Tchaikowsky's Third Piano Concerto?

I especially like the first movement, and wonder why people seem to avoid this concerto.

Anyone perform it, or know of any recent performances?
Posted By: Anima Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 11:23 AM
As far as I know, there are only 2?
Posted By: ecm Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Anima:
As far as I know, there are only 2?
That's why they avoid the 3. laugh
Posted By: BruceD Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 02:38 PM
Here is a link to a recording of the three Tchaikovsky Piano Concertos, although the recording is currently not available at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000041L0/104-5832224-6974323?v=glance&n=5174
Posted By: Anima Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 03:29 PM
Heh nice, at this piano camp this summer there was a huge discussion about there being a second concerto or not, and now there are 3.
Posted By: Wzkit Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 03:43 PM
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Does anybody else like Tchaikowsky's Third Piano Concerto?

I especially like the first movement, and wonder why people seem to avoid this concerto.

Well I like this concerto, especially that dance like rhythmic section in the first movement! My favourite recordings would be by Pletnev (Virgin)and Igor Zhukov (BMG/Melodiya)
Posted By: 8ude Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 03:44 PM
The third is definitely good, but it's my least favorite of his works for piano and orchestra. His first piano concerto is of course incredible. The second is much less frequently played, but still incredible. Even less heard than those two is the Concert Fantasy, which is really quite good, if formally somewhat strange. Those three I really like, but I could never get into the third piano concerto (which if I recall was never even finished, but had to be reconstructed, so who knows how close it was to his intent)
Posted By: whippen boy Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 04:20 PM
Ha ha, I made a weird mistake!

I was thinking of his SECOND Concerto, but typed THIRD.

shocked

I guess that goes to show how unfamiliar it is! whome

Soooo....

Let me rephrase.

Does anybody else like Tchaikowsky's <font color="#FF0000">Second</font> Piano Concerto?

Posted By: 8ude Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 04:33 PM
Yeah, the second concerto is great, in some ways better than the first - though heard much less frequently. I was just listening to the third movement of it yesterday - that'll get your blood pumping... smile
Posted By: Anima Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/05/06 04:47 PM
I don't understand what people like about the first concerto. IMO it's extremely weak. Only the opening theme is catchy and actually sounds good, and he even added that later after he finished the concerto.

But of course it's fun to watch someone play this, but only when it's ridiculously loud or fast.
Posted By: Derulux Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/06/06 10:29 AM
*laughs* I was about to say, "He wrote a third?" when I continued reading. I'll have to learn more about it! I certainly haven't played it (or heard of it prior to today). wink
Posted By: 8ude Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/06/06 04:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3329?s=classical&v=glance&n=5174

They have some sound clips here if you're interested. The third concerto consists of Op 75 and 79 (don't know why it's split that way) and was completed by Tanayev.
Posted By: Brendan Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/06/06 04:58 PM
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Does anybody else like Tchaikowsky's <font color="#FF0000">Second</font> Piano Concerto?
I love it!

It doesn't get played too much because the piano writing is out-of-this-world hard, it's too long, and has a very difficult orchestra part. The second movement is basically a concerto for violin and cello, heh.

The best performance available is a video of Pletnev playing it with Vladimir Fedoseyev and the Moscow Radio Symphony, although I believe it is out of print.
Posted By: matthewpiano Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/06/06 05:00 PM
Concertos No.2 and No.3 are also available in excellent recordings by Peter Donohoe on EMI. They are, indeed, lovely works - the 2nd possibly better than the 3rd.
Posted By: whippen boy Re: Another neglected concerto - 01/06/06 05:25 PM
Thanks, everyone!

I love the theme of the 1st movement (Concerto II).

Doubt I will assemble an orchestra for myself, so will have to find someone willing to learn the orchestra part!

one of these days... ha ha!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums