Piano World Home Page
Posted By: LiszThalberg Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 03:43 PM
Hey guys!

I'm planning on entering an all classical sonata competition, where I need a fast and slow movement. I've already got a slow movement pretty much finished (Clementi Sonata in F# minor), but I still need a contrasting fast movement.

Any suggestions are appriciated.

Matt
Posted By: pianojerome Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 04:23 PM
How about the third movement of Mozart 332? (F Major)
Posted By: pianojerome Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 04:25 PM
or maybe the third movement of Haydn B Minor or Beethoven F Major (Op. 10 No. 2)?
Posted By: Janus K. Sachs Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 04:35 PM
Debussy20, how does the competition define "classical?" That might help people giving suggestions that the competition would accept.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 04:44 PM
The rules:

Only original, solo piano music of the following composers may be used: Clementi, Kuhlau, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and the sons of J.S. Bach. For Levels 1 through 4, students may not perform Beethoven sonatas beyond Op. 31, except for Opp. 49 and 79.

Posted By: Kreisler Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 05:46 PM
I'm with Sam, the third movement of 332 would be great.

Also consider the first movements of Beethoven Op. 2#2 or Op. 79.
Posted By: Janus K. Sachs Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 08:37 PM
Amongst the Mozart sonatas, you might want to consider the first movement (or maybe the finale) of the K. 309 C major Sonata. The work is a big, confident work in the Mannheim style, and is quite effective in my opinion.

Also in the Mannheim style is the first movement of the K. 284 D major Sonata. Another effective, exciting movement IMHO.

If you really want to show your technique, there's always the first movement of Mozart's K. 576 D major Sonata, which is widely regarded as the toughest of all of his piano sonata movements (technically speaking).

The fiery first movement of Beethoven's Op. 7 Eb Sonata is quite effective too.
Posted By: WildWillie Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 08:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is considered to be a good tempo for both the 3rd mvt of 332 and the first of 576?

Side note: I played the 3rd mvt of 332 for a high school competition before I had any real instruction. Not knowing any better I assumed that playing it as fast as possible was the best way to impress the judges. WRONG! They really disliked my use of a Schirmer score as well.
Posted By: Janus K. Sachs Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 08:53 PM
WildWillie, maybe somewhere around 84-92 per dotted quarter would do nicely, IMHO.
Posted By: wdot Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 08:59 PM
The first movement of the Beethoven Op. 7 is really quite tough to play at tempo.

I'm a big fan of Beethoven Op. 2 no. 3, but it does get played a lot. Either the first or the last movement would work. I played the last movement in a competition in high school and did very well with it.
Posted By: Janus K. Sachs Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/19/08 09:10 PM
Oh, I have to mention the lively last movement of Beethoven's Op. 27 #1 Eb Sonata as another possibility. This work is a great favorite of mine.
Posted By: Otis S Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/20/08 02:08 PM
I recommend the following:
Mozart
A Minor, K. 310, 1st and 3rd movements
C Minor, K. 457, 1st and 3rd movements
These are dark, passionate pieces.

For sunnier pieces, try
D Major, K. 576, 1st and 3rd movements
F Major, K. 533, 1st movement

The following may be a bit easier technically:
C Major, K. 330, 1st movement
C Major, K. 309, 1st and 3rd movements
B flat major, K. 333, 1st movement
G major, K. 283, 1st and 3rd movements
F major, K. 332, 1st and 3rd movements
D Major, K. 311, 1st movement

Among Beethoven’s 32 piano sonatas, there are so many masterpiece to choose from that every pianist should at least listen to all of them. Are you restricted to sonatas up to and including op. 31 (all of these sonatas would be considered to be belonging to Beethoven’s early period)? Of these sonatas, the following are among his most famous stormy minor key works:

#8 in C Minor, op 13, 1st and 3rd movements
#14 in C Sharp minor, op. 27 no. 2, 3rd movement (among the most difficult pieces on this list from a technical standpoint)
#17, op 31 #2 in D Minor, 1st and 3rd movements

For sunnier works in a major key, try
#15, op. 28 in D major, 1st and 4th movements
#18 in E flat major, op. 31 no. 3, 1st and 4th movements
#7 in D major, op. 10 no. 3, 1st movement
#11 in B flat major, op. 22, 1st movement

Are you allowed to choose from Beethoven sonatas after op. 31? If so, this opens up a treasure trove from his middle and late periods.

Listen to recordings of as many of these pieces as you can and pick one which fits your technique and is musically appealing to you. Some things you may want to consider: Do you want a dark, passionate movement (typically in a minor key) or a lighter, sunnier piece (typically in a major key)? Does the form of the movement (e.g. sonata form, rondo, other) matter? What level of difficulty is most appropriate for you?
Posted By: LiszThalberg Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/20/08 03:01 PM
My teacher played a TON of Beethoven sonatas right after college and ever since I brought my sets of them, she's had this giant grin on her face laugh . I'd love to get a Beethoven.

I think any of the Beethoven sonatas are allowed.

I'm looking for something that would accompany the very dark and dramatic sob-story of the slow Clementi sonata. Would this sonata need to be a little lighter?

Matt
Posted By: BJenkins Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/20/08 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Debussy20:
My teacher played a TON of Beethoven sonatas right after college and ever since I brought my sets of them, she's had this giant grin on her face laugh . I'd love to get a Beethoven.

I'm looking for something that would accompany the very dark and dramatic sob-story of the slow Clementi sonata. Would this sonata need to be a little lighter?

Matt
Beethoven - Op.31 no.3
Posted By: Otis S Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/20/08 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Matt
In that case, you should also consider the 3rd movement of Beethoven's piano sonata #26 in E flat major, op. 81 a. It is a sunny, happy movement representing Beethoven's joy at being reunited with a good friend (archduke Rudolph) after an absence.

It was written around the same time as his 5th piano concerto, also in the same key, and there are similarities between this movement and the 3rd movement of the 5th piano concerto.

The outer movements of the Waldstein sonata may also be possibilities. These movements are quite technically challenging by the standards of classical sonatas.
Posted By: BruceD Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/20/08 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Otis S:
[...]I think any of the Beethoven sonatas are allowed.

In that case, you should also consider the 3rd movement of Beethoven's piano sonata #26 in E flat major, op. 81 a. It is a sunny, happy movement representing Beethoven's joy at being reunited with a good friend (archduke Rudolph) after an absence.

Read the rules! Read the rules!

No Beethoven Sonata beyond Op. 31 is allowed for this competition, except for Opp 49 and 79.

Regards,
Posted By: bplary1300 Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/20/08 06:45 PM
I'm studying the Op.28 right now and it's fantastic.
Posted By: Otis S Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/21/08 01:43 AM
Originally posted by BruceD:
Read the rules! Read the rules!

No Beethoven Sonata beyond Op. 31 is allowed for this competition, except for Opp 49 and 79.

Regards,
BruceD:

If you are referring to the rules posted by Piano*Dad* earlier in this thread, then I believe that your interpretation of them is incorrect. The restriction you cite only applies to levels 1-4.

Debussy20 would know much better than either of us what pieces he is allowed to play at the competition which is why I asked him whether he could pick movements from later Beethoven piano sonatas before suggesting any movements from sonatas after op. 31.
Posted By: LiszThalberg Re: Help me pick a classical sonata! - 07/21/08 02:10 AM
Gosh, sorry. Piano*Dad is a little more knowledgable about this competition as his son (Piano*Son) has actually competed in it a few times. And he's right, no later than Op. 31. Sorry, I wasn't reading very carefully. laugh

Matt
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums