Piano World Home Page

Mozart sonatas

Posted By: virtuoso_735

Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 01:39 AM

Which are the five easiest Mozart sonatas?
Posted By: valarking

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 02:33 AM

I know k545 is REALLY easy and 331 (i think) with rondo all turca's pretty darn easy.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 04:07 AM

Technically, none of them are especially difficult, although the two minor-key ones and some of the Mannheim sonatas have their moments. Interpretively, they all have their difficulties.

It would not harm one to play through all of them and decide for oneself. If I could have only one book of music to play for the rest of my life, I would want it to be the Mozart sonatas.
Posted By: Ringer

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 04:08 AM

Admittedly this is about the zillionth time this has been said, but Mozart's pianos seem so easy to learn starting out and become almost impossible to play really well. Still, it's great music and I admit that 331 is a wonderful technical exercise for me even if I am still polishing spots after several months.
Posted By: yok

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 09:56 AM

I'd say the 4 easiest (in order of composition) would be K.282, K.283, K.545, K.570. They're all reasonably compact too.
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 02:30 PM

Originally posted by valarking:
I know k545 is REALLY easy and 331 (i think) with rondo all turca's pretty darn easy.
While any of the sonatas are relatively easy(whatever that means) just to play the notes. I would say none of them are easy to play well musically. I just attended the Mannes Keyboard Festival and at several masterclasses the participants had great difficulty with some of the sonatas and were criticized quite severely. And, remember these are pianists who are about to enter or are already in some major conservatories-in othere words, they are much better than 99% of the people who play piano.
Posted By: Nina

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 02:50 PM

I have a friend who once said that playing a Mozart Sonata was a lot like performing naked...

Particularly the familiar ones like K331, K545, etc.

Everyone knows exactly how those sonatas sound, and any mistake in interpretation or notes is immediately known by all present.

Nina
Posted By: Phlebas

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Nina:
I have a friend who once said that playing a Mozart Sonata was a lot like performing naked...

Nina
I just got an image in my mind of Alexander Toradze playing Mozart. Thanks alot!
Posted By: katie_dup1

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 06:00 PM

I really appreciate the comments made by Pianoloverus, Ringer & Nina. I could technically play K545 ~30 years ago -- but in retrospect, really I couldn't play it at all. I've spent the last 3 months re-learning this piece & trying to make it sound like Maria Pires' CD (Ha, Ha). It is quite difficult & she makes it seem effortless. I have memorized the 1st movement (this is a major achievement for me) & it is fairly smooth at a moderate speed, but she just glides through it with fantastic dynamics & consistent timing (IMO). What I too am beginning to notice are students who take on this piece too quickly & then the timing, ornaments & fingering disintegrate. I need to put a Post-It on the piano reminding myself of this ... "Take it slow - The speed will come ... with patience & practise" .
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: Mozart sonatas - 07/31/03 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Nina:

Particularly the familiar ones like K331, K545, etc.

Everyone knows exactly how those sonatas sound, and any mistake in interpretation or notes is immediately known by all present.

Nina
I would agree with you more or less on the notes but not as far as interpretation goes. For example. I recently heard a Mannes piano student play the C minor sonata. Remember, here is someone who has already been accepted to a very prestigious music school and studied there, I believe, for a year. I knew the piece sounded poor, but only after the teacher went over the piece did I understand why.

And the performer, who is already much better than 99% of those who play the piano obviously thought his interpretation was correct and good. That is why I am not at all sure that a poor interpretation of a Mozart sonata will be obvious.
Posted By: La_Campanella

Re: Mozart sonatas - 08/01/03 09:36 AM

I dont think that KV331 by Mozart is that easy to play if you want to play it correctly!
Actually it is just as difficult to play the 1mvt Andante Grazio as Liszt-Rhapsody nr.2.
Why?
If you missed one note in a mozart-sonata everybody can hear it. If you missed one note in a rhapody by Liszt, I dont think many will recognize smile
But that is also why La campanella is so difficult to play. It is tecnically diffcult, but also very easy to hear if you missed a note...
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums