Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Piano World 12 Fingers - Helpful or Hindrance ? - 01/31/09 02:38 PM
A baby born in San Francisco a few weeks ago has 6 fingers on each hand.

Not as rare as you might think, except the sixth digit is usually just a nub, but Kamani has 12 fully formed fingers (and twelve toes).

The news people talk about what a great pianist or guitarist he might make.

Considering music is typically written assuming 10 fingers, would having 12 be better, or a Hindrance?

THE STORY
Posted By: ChrisKeys Re: 12 Fingers - Helpful or Hindrance ? - 01/31/09 03:14 PM
I think it might be more of a hindrance because fingering techniques are built for proper use of 5 fingers per hand, not six. However, I know of at least one phenomenal guitarist, Phil Keaggy, who lacks a finger on one hand (due to accident? birth?), and it has not hindered him.
Interesting, I assumed it would be a little nub, but it's fascinating that they are all allegedly "full functioning." Besides slight confusion as to which is the 3rd and which is the 4th finger initially, I don't think it would be much of a hindrance. And I fail to see how it would be much of an advantage either. Does any pianist ever say "if only I had one more finger." Is "passing of the thumb" really an unconquerable hindrance?

Now a third hand might raise some excitement!

Daniel
Posted By: LiszThalberg Re: 12 Fingers - Helpful or Hindrance ? - 01/31/09 05:38 PM
Hmmm what if the baby's able to stretch a 12th!
Posted By: Palindrome Re: 12 Fingers - Helpful or Hindrance ? - 02/01/09 11:13 PM
If the kid grows into someone who can play the piano at all decently, it'll be a tremendous marketing advantage, at least among the public at large.

There's a town in Spain where polydactyly is not uncommon (this from a Ripley's Believe it or Not of about 50 years ago).

With regard to guitar playing, I've read that Django had only a functional finger and a half.

(And then there's the story of the couple on their wedding night, with the groom missing half of one foot....)
I can't play this with 10 fingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ5UI1vjNxI

That girl has 4.

I'd like to hear what someone with her talent, 12 fingers and a stretch like this (and i mean able to reach that interval on a full-size keyboard) could play.
Originally posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer:
I can't play this with 10 fingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ5UI1vjNxI

That girl has 4.

I'd like to hear what someone with her talent, 12 fingers and a stretch like this (and i mean able to reach that interval on a full-size keyboard) could play.
Her hands limit her technically but if she or someone else composed some pieces for her it would be awesome.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums