Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Vktmzkf932 Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 03:38 PM
Hi all,
I have been searching around in the past weeks for a nice, melancholic, romantic piece... like say, Chopin - mazurka op. 17 no. 4... this sort of stuff...
The problem is that I still can't find one that I really like... It has to be a little bit more demanding, because although it is supposed to have a place sort of an encore piece in my repertoire, or just to play it for my friends, nothing too public, it mustn't be too childish...
In other words, I'm looking for a nice "soiree" type of work...

Can anybody help me? smile
Posted By: signa Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 05:18 PM
maybe a Liszt's Transcendental etude (either no.10 or 12 would be good).

Beethoven 32 variations in C minor, although it may not belongs to Romantic rep but sounds pretty much so.
Posted By: LisztAddict Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 05:36 PM
Liszt - Liebestraum, Un Sospiro
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
Chopin - Berceuse, Nocturne Op 27 No 2
Posted By: Pathbreaker Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:15 PM
How about Chopin op10/9 which I think is in F minor? I think this is very fitting and it's about the right length if you want to play it for your friends. A lot of chopin is very accessible to untrained ears. Or if you want really melancholic you can try the piano version of Vocalise by Rachmaninoff. But that one is really 'cry me a river' kinda sad. In most cases probably just too much. There is also the 18th variation from Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini but that might be more sentimental than it is melancholy.
The Chopin would be the best choice but the most difficult to play I think.

Keeping with Chopin, and a little less challenging, Op9 no1 Nocturne would be an excellent choice.
But I'm not sure what level of difficulty you are looking for...
Posted By: Vktmzkf932 Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:23 PM
If that will make things clearer about the technical skill, ANY Chopin etude is no problem
Posted By: BruceD Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Liszt_BG:
[snip]...a nice, melancholic, romantic piece... like say, Chopin - mazurka op. 17 no. 4... this sort of stuff...
The problem is that I still can't find one that I really like... [snip] a little bit more demanding, [snip] sort of an encore piece in my repertoire, or just to play it for my friends, nothing too public, it mustn't be too childish...
In other words, I'm looking for a nice "soiree" type of work...

Can anybody help me? smile
The terms "... a little bit more..." and "... sort of an encore piece..." and "...nothing too public..." (What kind of piece is "not too public," any way?), and ...not too childish... (What kind of piece is too childish?) might have meaning for you, but in the context of your request they are too vague to really eliminate hundreds of works in the piano repertoire.

Nevertheless, I do have a suggestion that may fit into your categories: try "Alt Wien" by Leopold Godowsky. It's a schmaltzy little mood piece in 3/4 time, very reminiscent of Vienna in it's decline and, hence, classifies as being very nostalgic and melancholic.

You could also try "Coronach, a Highland Lament" by Edgar Barrett - if you could ever find the score (I have it); or how about Maurice Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante défunte".

Have you tried the Schumann "Romance" in F# Major (Op 28, No 2)?

Regards,
Posted By: ecm Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:36 PM
Originally posted by signa:
maybe a Liszt's Transcendental etude (either no.10 or 12 would be good).

Beethoven 32 variations in C minor, although it may not belongs to Romantic rep but sounds pretty much so.
I wouldn't play those variations as an encore. laugh
They are in my current repertoire and I love them. But I'm sure I won't perform them as encore..
Posted By: Vktmzkf932 Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:38 PM
hmm... interesting piece there... haven`t heard it...what I meant was not too faclitated, and I don´t expect something like this should be played in a large concert hall... at leas not commonly... Thanks anyway =}
Posted By: 8ude Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:45 PM
If you can find the music for it, the second movement of Liszt's transcription of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique might do.
Posted By: Pathbreaker Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 06:45 PM
I'm still under the impression you are looking for melancholic so I would recommend something from Rachmaninoff or Chopin. Many preludes and etudes by Rachmaninoff would be perfect and there's quite a few things between nocturnes/preludes/etudes for Chopin as well.
Posted By: ecm Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 08:22 PM
Chopin op.28 no.16,22,23 preludes.

Actually op.28 no.16 isn't really much melancholic.
Posted By: Vktmzkf932 Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/04/07 08:39 PM
thank u for the responses- I think I found what I was looking for;)
Posted By: verywellmister Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 01:05 AM
Mozart Rondo in a minor, K.511
Posted By: BDB Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 01:22 AM
Der Vogel als Prophet by Schumann was one of Arthur Rubinstein's signature encore pieces.
Posted By: sszhou Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 03:43 AM
try rachmaninoff's prelude op. 23 no. 6, it's a good one
Posted By: Fleeting Visions Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 05:34 PM
I'd choose my favorite Kinderszenen.
Posted By: Pathbreaker Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 07:07 PM
Originally posted by sszhou:
try rachmaninoff's prelude op. 23 no. 6, it's a good one
I've recently rediscovered the preludes and etudes. I'm listening to no.7 right now and it has such a wonderful sound.

Also to consider is the etude in E-flat minor, Op.39 no5
Posted By: Vktmzkf932 Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 07:12 PM
thank you all, I think I'll get the Vocalise.
Posted By: ecm Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/05/07 09:02 PM
YES! Vocalise! wonderful.

Are you going to play Zoltan Kocsis version?
I love that.
Posted By: Vktmzkf932 Re: Suggestions for a piece...:) - 01/06/07 07:29 AM
Originally posted by ecm:
YES! Vocalise! wonderful.

Are you going to play Zoltan Kocsis version?
I love that.
Yes, I am.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums